PDA

View Full Version : Life For those who live in a small, rural town or the country

Jenson71
05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Do you like it? Why do you like it (or not)? What do you think the advantages are? What do you think the disadvantages are?

This thread is all about small town, rural, country living. Rep to people who give good stories that exemplify what living in a rural town or the country is like.

You can also talk about growing up in one.

This was inspired by PastorMIKH and Bwana.

For clarity sake, small towns are less than 10,000 people unless you can convince me otherwise.

Demonpenz
05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
it smells like cow shit all day and you get 4 channels and everyone has fucked everyone

Pablo
05-10-2009, 10:36 PM
it smells like cow shit all day and you get 4 channels and everyone has fucked everyoneYou quit talking shit on Savannah right now.

DeezNutz
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Small towns are cool because they have less people.

People = teh suck.

Animals and land = much better.

Demonpenz
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
You quit talking shit on Savannah right now.

avenue city

Pablo
05-10-2009, 10:38 PM
avenue cityaces?

Demonpenz
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
aces?

lol

Baconeater
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd give anything to be able to move out of the city, over the years I've discovered that I don't much care for people.

Pioli Zombie
05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Sounds like a people suck thread. Ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
ds

Pioli Zombie
05-10-2009, 10:44 PM
No Jews or Blacks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scorp
Small towns suck because everyone knows your dirty laundry. There is no anonymity.

Baconeater
Sounds like a people suck thread. Ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you disagree?

Pablo
05-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Living in the country is great.

And you don't have to be way back in the middle of nowhere either. You can be 5-10 miles outside of a good sized town or city and right off a blacktop and enjoy the perks of country life.

You can have a little bit of land, 20 or 30 acres or so. Then you can have a pond(s), ride 4 wheelers, shoot guns, hunt, etc. and not have to really worry about your neighbors. I live in an apartment complex now and it sucks. People on both sides of me and below me mean I have to be quiet at night, I get woken up by car alarms and subwoofers and when I go out to my "backyard" it's fairly unenjoyable. You can't set a bonfire on your apartment complexes lawn.

Where I grew up I was only a few hundred yards off a major blacktop, and my neighbors were a good 700-800 yards away at the closest. So you can piss outside whenever you like, generally be as loud as you like, and your neighbors won't ever call the cops on you or complain. And people that live in the country have a better mentality. I don't even know any of my neighbors names in this complex, but I know everybody down my old gravel road by first and last name and their kids, etc., and have cut wood and fished on their property. It's just a better community IMO.

Gonzo
05-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I've lived in large cities and small farm towns and they both have their advantages. I went to school in a town of 650 people for a year after living in southern California and that was a hell of a culture shock. I'd have to say that if you're raising a child, a small town would obviously be a better situation, (crime wise). But then you have to consider social skills etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
05-10-2009, 10:47 PM
If you're all about people not knowing your personal business, well, small towns kinda suck for that. People know who you fucked, fought, etc. pretty quickly, but oh well. But that's a small sacrifice to make for the rewards of not living around a bunch of assholes.

Pioli Zombie
05-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Do you disagree?

No. People suck
Posted via Mobile Device

smittysbar
05-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Love living in a small community. The people are real, ready to help out in any way possible. Know everyone by name. It does suck that everyone knows everyone's business. Rarely does anyone lock their doors. Pretty laid back.

Where else can you take your golf cart from the house, through town, to the course, then to the bar (close it down), then back home. Cart with clubs on and keys in it doesn't get bothered outside of the bar.

kchero
05-10-2009, 11:03 PM
I have lived in midtown and less favorable parts of KCMO all of my life and the plan is once I get college done with to settle down about 30 minutes or so outside of the city and have some land and some peace and quiet. It seems the more people that are around you the more problems that can occur.

Buehler445
05-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Pros:
1. People are generally more willing to help because they KNOW you. And you will probably help them out down the road.

2. Quieter

3. Short commute. I live out of town and it is an 8 minute commute. It is glorious.

4. Safer (for the most part)

Cons
1. Far away from my family and friends (at least this one is).

2. Far away from civilization (I miss Chipotle... and well any real food restaurant :()

3. If there is bullshit, you're probably going to hear about it.

JOhn
05-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Small towns defiantly have disadvantages...but they are far outweighed by the advantages.
Yea everyone can know your business, if you let them. Besides I could care less what they know, not like I'm doing anything I need to hide. Besides if you really care what strangers think then you probably have other issues to worry about.
It is nice because when my daughter is up to something that shouldn't be, I almost always get a call because someone saw & wants to let me know.

Recently got a phone call from a neighbor down the street to let me know that babysitter was up to no good. Came home and caught 6 boys hanging out at my house...sitter fired. So yea at times it is nice to have neighbors who notice and care enough to let me know.

Yea we have crime and all the shit that a larger city does, but it's a lot easier to avoid those people situations in a small town. And I never have to worry about driving in the wrong neighborhood.

I grew up in KC, Liberty/Independence/Gladstone areas...you can keep them, I'll live & raise my kids in a small town, thank you.

Frazod
05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I always tell people that I'd like to live on the side of a mountain in Wyoming with no fucking people for 20 miles in any direction, but I seriously doubt if I could do it for very long without going nuts. Sadly, I've become suburbanized. Within five miles of my house, there is pretty much every kind of store (from Best Buy to Tiger Direct to Costco to Target), every kind of restaurant (steak, Indian, Thai, whatever), a huge mall and a 30-screen multiplex theater. I'm spoiled. And as much as I'd love to wake up to mountains reflected in a crystal clear mirror-surfaced lake, I don't think I'd like it enough to give up everything else.

Demonpenz
05-10-2009, 11:23 PM
I always tell people that I'd like to live on the side of a mountain in Wyoming with no ****ing people for 20 miles in any direction, but I seriously doubt if I could do it for very long without going nuts. Sadly, I've become suburbanized. Within five miles of my house, there is pretty much every kind of store (from Best Buy to Tiger Direct to Costco to Target), every kind of restaurant (steak, Indian, Thai, whatever), a huge mall and a 30-screen multiplex theater. I'm spoiled. And as much as I'd love to wake up to mountains reflected in a crystal clear mirror-surfaced lake, I don't think I'd like it enough to give up everything else.

i think you like getting angry and using the smiley face with the m-16 shooting

Crush
05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Pros:
1. Everyone is friendly because they either know you, your parents, or your grandparents.
2. Peaceful
3. The commute was terrific.
4. Everything is peaceful.
5. Did I mention that it was peaceful?

Cons
1. Gossip tends to spread quickly.
2. Dial-up
3. Your choice of where to go/what to do is pretty limited.
4. Rural cops, according to my experience, are complete dicks.

The small rural town used for this pro/con exercise is Mountain View, MO with a population of around 2,500 (according to the latest census). It is approximately 100 miles east of Springfield within the vicinity of West Plains.

Thig Lyfe
05-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Small towns are cool because they have less people.

People = teh suck.

Animals and land = much better.

I choose not to make any inferences about your social life from this post.

Dunit35
05-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I lived in oklahoma city for awhile and loved it. I loved going to work and not having to see the same boring ass customers everyday. I wasn't a fan of the traffic though.

I live in a small town now and everybody knows everybody and it sucks. I see the same customers damn near everyday at this place I work at. It's like they never cook at home.

Dunit35
05-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Pros:
1. Everyone is friendly because they either know you, your parents, or your grandparents.
2. Peaceful

Cons
2. Dial-up

The small rural town used for this pro/con exercise is Mountain View, MO with a population of around 2,500 (according to the latest census). It is approximately 100 miles east of Springfield within the vicinity of West Plains.

Agree on the pros and cons. I felt much more comfortable driving in OKC around police because they weren't looking for a reason to get you...these small town cops have to make their money anyway possible.

Not a lot of food choices here compared to OKC, I'm not as afraid to leave my door unlocked here though.

88TG88
05-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Pros:

I like it better when nobody knows me. People in my hood meddle to damn much.

Jenson71
05-11-2009, 12:10 AM
I choose not to make any inferences about your social life from this post.

LMAO

Jewish Rabbi
05-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Con - Cops rape your friends' mom.

Pro - There isn't really any crime so cops aren't needed anyway.

Demonpenz
05-11-2009, 12:39 AM
lol

Kyle DeLexus
05-11-2009, 12:39 AM
I've lived in a town of 200, out in the middle of no where at all, in KC, and Lawrence. The country living was great, I could go out and shoot whenever I wanted. Basically in the town of 200 we could do just about anything we wanted. We would go fishing, coyote hunting, bonfires, field parties.

Another good thing is we could always find a place to drink, be it in the middle of a field or at the football field. It might have been cold since most of the time it was outside unless we went to the football equipment building.

The bad thing is it can get boring. We got destructive when we got bored. One time when we were out shooting rabbits, we decided to destroy a truck that was parked on my friends field. Growing up in a small town you had to drink or you would not have any fun. In KC and Lawrence, there is enough to do to keep you busy if you go out.

Skip Towne
05-11-2009, 12:41 AM
I have lived in midtown and less favorable parts of KCMO all of my life and the plan is once I get college done with to settle down about 30 minutes or so outside of the city and have some land and some peace and quiet. It seems the more people that are around you the more problems that can occur.

This. Get in the middle of 160 acres and say goodbye to neighbors.

KCChiefsMan
05-11-2009, 02:18 AM
I hated it

old_geezer
05-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Anything I want or need is at most 1 hour away. Most things I can get with a drive of 1/2 hour.

I hate crowds
I hate traffic

My neighbors know me and watch over my house when I'm gone
Peace and quiet
no crowds
not much traffic
Great scenery
I know the police and they know me. (this is great if you're not doing something illegal) :)

Saulbadguy
05-11-2009, 07:00 AM
While I don't live in the country, my in-laws do and we visit them often. There are quite a few things I like about staying there, but could never see myself living out there. I would hate that it takes 45 minutes just to get anywhere.

PRIEST
05-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Small towns suck because everyone knows your dirty laundry. There is no anonymity.

This :#

rockymtnchief
05-11-2009, 08:15 AM
There's less than 900 in my town and less than 2000 in the whole county. The nearest town over 5000 people is 72 miles away.
Pros: 2 minute drive to work/8 minute walk.
Hiking trails/fishing/hunting/mountain biking 10 minutes away.
I can walk from the bar and not worry about getting run over.
All the bars let me run a tab if I chose to.
No line at the grocery store.
Clear air and night sky.
Can always find a good place to sit in the bar.

Cons: Pretty much the same menu at all eating establishments.
Very slim pickings for 'gina.
Everyone knows what I do for a living and want to ask prices/troubleshoot/or ask for locates while I'm eating or drinking beer.
No hardware or electronics stores.
Very slim pickings for 'gina.
I've had Friday nights where I'm the only person in the bar. That's why you can always find a good seat.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 08:20 AM
country life is overrated. its alot of work and no play. City life is easy livin.

Iowanian
05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFWoo4Mbdtk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFWoo4Mbdtk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

blaise
05-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I've lived in both and both have pros and cons. I think part of the thing with a small town is where it's situated. I grew up in a small town in Western NY that didn't even have a traffic light, but you could drive 25-30 minutes and get to Rochester if you wanted to, which is a decent sized city. I also lived in a small town in Central PA, where really you had to drive over an hour to get to a decent sized city (Harrisburg) and that was no great shakes anyway. The town in NY was nice because there were jobs you could drive to in the metro area. The town I lived in, in PA, was depressing to me because the area as a whole was more depressed economically. There were also almost all white people (not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm not saying they were racist or exclusionary- it's just the area), and I just prefer the area to have a little more diversity of people to talk to or work with.
What I'm saying is I like a small town if it's at least in reasonable proximity to a city, but if it's way out in the middle of nowhere- not so much.
On the flip side, living in a big city like Houston was fun, there was a lot to do, but I wouldn't have wanted my kids going to school in Houston Public Schools. I'd rather they went to a small town school, even if they facilities were maybe not as good, than deal with some of the stuff that goes on there.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 08:35 AM
I hated it. I am a mind my business kind of girl. It's not that I don't care but I come from a need to know society. I do not have a vested interest in the drama of other people's lives unless it directly affects me and even then I try not to give a ****.

Which makes you snotty in a small town.

Went from L.A. to Phoenix to a town with a population of less than a thousand...

blaise
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
If I lived in a small town I wouldn't want it to be the same one I grew up in. My brother still lives there and when I talk to him I just hear stories about the same people doing the same stupid things. It's like some of them never grew up past high school.

JOhn
05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
If I lived in a small town I wouldn't want it to be the same one I grew up in. My brother still lives there and when I talk to him I just hear stories about the same people doing the same stupid things. It's like some of them never grew up past high school.

It applies to the city also. When I visit Liberty and run into high school classmates, it's the same story............

sparkky
05-11-2009, 08:48 AM
county life isn't for everyone, but it's for us.

Iowanian
05-11-2009, 08:52 AM
I've tried the city life, I've had opportunities in the bigger cities and knew they weren't for me.

There are disadvantages from an opportunity (jobs and entertainment) but there are also more advantages than I could list to small town.

I also don't think a 10k population is the same kind of small town living as say 2500 or less.

Give me acres of grass and trees and the night songs of a creek full of frogs and you can have your 30plex mega mall life.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 08:54 AM
there isnt any land left and they arent makeing anymore! stay in the city where you are safe! West Nile will get you in the outer regions of of suburbia!

kepp
05-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I grew up in a small town (3500 people) and I would love to move back someday. Yeah, everybody knows everybody and most of those small town cliches are true, but they're great for families and a slower pace of life.

And sometimes the "everybody knows everybody" thing can come in handy. When I was a teen (maybe 17 or so) I totally t-boned a car that was turning in front of me at a stop sign - just didn't see them at all. It was completely my fault, but the cop knew my parents and also knew the kids in the other car as "troublemakers" and I didn't even get a ticket or anything. In addition to that, I wasn't wearing my seatbelt and the cop said, "Hey, when I ask you if you were wearing your belt...just say 'yes'."

JOhn
05-11-2009, 08:56 AM
there isnt any land left and they arent makeing anymore! stay in the city where you are safe! West Nile will get you in the outer regions of of suburbia!
This

Besides you might end up living next door to the next unibomber ROFL

Iowanian
05-11-2009, 08:57 AM

Don't forget the blisters from tamping posts and the COUGARS! DON'T FORGET THE DANGER OF THE COUGARS!!!

Gravel roads will get your hybrid very, very dirty.

Frosty
05-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Cons

2. Dial-up

I live 3 miles outside a town of 1600 people, 90 miles from the nearest big city and have DSL at the house. :shrug:

The small town school issue is a mixed bag. On one hand, you have good access to teachers and know what is going on with your kids. On the other hand, you are constantly fighting enrollment issues which lead to funding problems for the schools.

Also, there is a lot less variety of classes offered. Our school doesn't have any music program because they haven't been able to get a music teacher to come here. There are very few AP classes offered. Both of my kids are straight-A students and bored out of their minds because there is nothing challenging offered. Being in a small town also means that there are no private school options (except for a couple of really small Christian schools).

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Don't forget the blisters from tamping posts and the COUGARS! DON'T FORGET THE DANGER OF THE COUGARS!!!

Gravel roads will get your hybrid very, very dirty.

Lyme disease is catching on like wild fire!!! Dont forget the rural fire dept. will let your house burn down cause the creek is to far away!!!

Iowanian
05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
chigger bites are miserable. Imagine the discomfort of your sock and bikini lines urban dwellers!

snakes, bugs....the monotonous droning sounds at night....Coyote howls to wake you up.
Muddy gravel roads, animal smells....slow moving tractors on the road...the sound of tractors and combines while you're trying to sleep!!!! don't even get me started on grain drying bins.
Rag weed, hayfever! Allergies!!! Horse weed & Pollen!!!

Small towns are probably good places for you to live if you've got job skills and ambition, if you're a non-producer American, you'll have superior access to free benefits in the huge metro areas.

blaise
05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Lyme disease is catching on like wild fire!!! Dont forget the rural fire dept. will let your house burn down cause the creek is to far away!!!

Don't worry, there will be a guy that moves into the town from the city, and then decides that he's going to run for school board or mayor because he knows how to straighten all that out.

Then when he doesn't win he'll decide the town is full of idiots.

PastorMikH
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I prefer the smaller towns mostly because I'm a country person. Big cities are nice to visit, but I prefer a bit slower pace. I also like knowing people. In a big city you have no idea who most people are, but in a small town you know a larger portion of the people, and they tend to be friendlier as well. And, when my daughter starts talking to a boy, it's nice to know who his family is.:)

Where we're at right now is just about right to me. 9k people, enough to have better shopping, big enough schools to offer the kids more classes as well as enough of a pool of kids to be competitive at sports year in and year out.

Lots of benifits for me, though a small town life isn't for everyone.

Saulbadguy
05-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I'd say it's tough to pin down what a small town is vs "the city". I was in a small town in KS this weekend, population..about 275. The entire town looked like it was below the poverty line, although maybe they just enjoy living in tin can houses with the roofs caving in. However i've been to towns of about 3000 and they aren't bad, but I imagine most commute to the city every day for work.

Topeka in my mind is not "the city"...120,000 people, traffic is generally never a problem, and it is quiet at night.

PastorMikH
05-11-2009, 09:14 AM

With the volunteer fire dept I was on in KS, your house was more likely to be saved with us than some of the big city full time depts.

Depends on where you're at though.

seclark
05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
i live out in the country and the best thing about it is, if i need to take a piss, i've got 30 acres to cut loose wherever i want. the only person who bitches about it is mrs. sec, so i try to avoid her flowers when possible.
sec

Frazod
05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
I hated it. I am a mind my business kind of girl. It's not that I don't care but I come from a need to know society. I do not have a vested interest in the drama of other people's lives unless it directly affects me and even then I try not to give a ****.

Which makes you snotty in a small town.

Went from L.A. to Phoenix to a town with a population of less than a thousand...

THIS.

Not only the nosiness and the gossip, but the hypocrasy of it all. Some of the nastiest pricks on earth are your good ol' God fearin' country types. Not that you'd ever know it, though, since they never say anything to your face. I really like the ones who are pillars-of-the-community types, at least as long as they have an audience of prospective customers watching them being so completely wonderful. You see what they're really like when they don't think anyone else is watching.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Don't worry, there will be a guy that moves into the town from the city, and then decides that he's going to run for school board or mayor because he knows how to straighten all that out.

Then when he doesn't win he'll decide the town is full of idiots.

his home will go up in flames for sure.

Anyone remember the story about the town bully gettin shotdown in broad daylight? Shot him something like 13 time and noone seen nothin.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 09:31 AM
With the volunteer fire dept I was on in KS, your house was more likely to be saved with us than some of the big city full time depts.

Depends on where you're at though.

That cant be true.:shake:

Detoxing
05-11-2009, 09:33 AM
THIS.

Not only the nosiness and the gossip, but the hypocrasy of it all. Some of the nastiest pricks on earth are your good ol' God fearin' country types. Not that you'd ever know it, though, since they never say anything to your face. I really like the ones who are pillars-of-the-community types, at least as long as they have an audience of prospective customers watching them being so completely wonderful. You see what they're really like when they don't think anyone else is watching.

This is how I would imagine it being. People will always be nosy gossipers, especially in a small town where there isn't much else to talk about. Probably the same ole bs drama you get in the city only amplified. I imagine there being a lot of cliqs and a lot of behind your back shit talking. And if someone with clout doesn't like u, then ur fucked.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
i call BS on the gossip, least where im at(country). They may to a point but rural people tend to stay the fuck outta peoples business less you make it there business.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
THIS.

It comes from being so isolated from different people, cultures and lifestyles.

And all their conversative suspicions exist in a very sweet bubble of ignorance. I've seen more rampant drug use in small towns than I ever did in my various circles of friends in big cities. More swapping of bodily fluids. What is the phrase? You don't lose your girlfriend, you lose your turn... There is nothing for people to do.

It was great that I could stand on my porch and watch my 5 year old at the bus stop. But very few girls escape that neck of the woods easily. The older the kids get the happier I am raising them in a larger pond.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
i call BS on the gossip, least where im at(country). They may to a point but rural people tend to stay the **** outta peoples business less you make it there business.

I'll agree that the blacktop gravel river folk are different from the townies. But they still all come together at family reunions.

Frazod
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM

And all their conversative suspicions exist in a very sweet bubble of ignorance. I've seen more rampant drug use in small towns than I ever did in my various circles of friends in big cities. More swapping of bodily fluids. What is the phrase? You don't lose your girlfriend, you lose your turn... There is nothing for people to do.

It was great that I could stand on my porch and watch my 5 year old at the bus stop. But very few girls escape that neck of the woods easily. The older the kids get the happier I am raising them in a larger pond.

Where I live now is a happy medium between the city and the country. I have all the conveniences of the city without the crime and grime, and I can look out the window and see trees and grass. On the other hand, I don't have nosy neighbors up in my business. I know exactly one person in my neighborhood, and frankly, I like it that way. I have enough friends.

JOhn
05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
his home will go up in flames for sure.

Anyone remember the story about the town bully gettin shotdown in broad daylight? Shot him something like 13 time and noone seen nothin.

Yup, Happened up in Skidmore I believe, DeKalb county Mo. I used to live about 30 mi from there.

JOhn
05-11-2009, 09:47 AM
i call BS on the gossip, least where im at(country). They may to a point but rural people tend to stay the **** outta peoples business less you make it there business.

:clap:

JOhn
05-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Bullshit, and bullshit again.

At least in the town I'm at there is a large variety of people & cultures. And the ignorance you speak of is ironic in that your making broad generalizations about small town people. ROFL

As you said your bubble of friends. No more drug use in small towns and what there is you at least know who/were to avoid.

And nothing to do? Trying getting outside once in awhile. There is more to do here than I will ever be able to. Sorry no malls, but more mountains and open spaces than I could ever explore. It all depends on what you consider is there to do.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll agree that the blacktop gravel river folk are different from the townies. But they still all come together at family reunions.

Maybe where you are from but not where i am from.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 09:55 AM

At least in the town I'm at there is a large variety of people & cultures. And the ignorance you speak of is ironic in that your making broad generalizations about small town people. ROFL

As you said your bubble of friends. No more drug use in small towns and what there is you at least know who/were to avoid.

So tis bullshit in your town. I was talking about mine.

The OP asked for personal experiences although your posts aren't doing a whole lot to break any kind of generalization in this thread.

Skip Towne
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Yup, Happened up in Skidmore I believe, DeKalb county Mo. I used to live about 30 mi from there.

KenRex McElroy

Katipan
Maybe where you are from but not where i am from.

There were more people in my high school than in town I'm "from" now. And every one was related. If you were in town A you were related to "my" family. Town B was incidently related to my boyfriend's family.

Truly a clusterfuck.

Frazod

Your small town is nothing like my small town was. We had white Christians, and white Christians, and then some more white Christians. The only diverse people were college kids, and they tended to leave us the hell alone.

Scorp
05-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Small towns make it hard to "train" the police chiefs daughter, and still live a nice comfortable life.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Your small town is nothing like my small town was. We had white Christians, and white Christians, and then some more white Christians. The only diverse people were college kids, and they tended to leave us the hell alone.

Neither my ex husband nor my current boyfriend ever saw a black guy in person until college.

NO one had ever seen a Flip.

heh.

kepp
05-11-2009, 10:00 AM

This

And all their conversative suspicions exist in a very sweet bubble of ignorance. I've seen more rampant drug use in small towns than I ever did in my various circles of friends in big cities.

...and not this

Yes, you'll find drug use in each place, but they're at completely different levels. As I mentioned earlier, I grew up in a small town but my wife grew up in Los Angeles. I was exposed to pot and the like and my wife would see kids she knew doing lines of cocaine in the bathroom between classes.

JOhn
05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
KenRex McElroy

Yup that was him.

Even 10-15 years later those who "knew nothing" still would get pissed if you asked about it.

Funny how that happens in a small town & it's BIG news. Yet I know of dozens of killings in KC from the late 80's that happened in broad daylight, yet no one saw a thing. But being it happened on Paseo or Troost ave. it was no big deal. :shrug:

ChiefsOne
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I grew up in a small town, 2500. Although it was fun while growing up there and close to all my friends, I always wanted to live in the city. Lived in KC for a couple of years and in Springfield for 18 years. Tried to move back to the small town after KC and was a very miserable year.

I like visiting, but never want to live in a small town again.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
This

..and not this

Yes, you'll find drug use in each place, but they're at completely different levels. As I mentioned earlier, I grew up in a small town but my wife grew up in Los Angeles. I was exposed to pot and the like and my wife would see kids she knew doing lines of cocaine in the bathroom between classes.

I never saw cocaine until I was in my 20s. I didn't know anyone in high school that did it. Pot sure. Pills yeah. Coke, not so much. Probably a cost issue. Wonder if your g/f went to a richer school.

The kids I'm shaking my heads over are the ones doing meth in junior high.

NEVER saw meth in big cities. You avoided anyone that did meth like the plague. You do that in a some of these isolated small shanties and you're avoiding half the population.

JOhn
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM

My point is, there are just as many pockets of ignorance in large cities as there are in small ones.

And all the small towns I have lived in are pretty much the same...Maysville, Cameron, Hamilton, Bethany, Mound city, Tarkio, Plattsburg etc..... It's all in what you choose to see. IMHO

Frazod
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM
When I was a kid all we had was shitty pot that one of my friends grew behind his dad's barn. That and alcohol. God knows we had plenty of that. Coke and heroine were something the bad guys sold on the cop shows on TV.

I understand it's not like that anymore. :(

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM

By David Krajicek (http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/about/authors/krajicek/index.html)
Skidmore Shrinks

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>setSize(curSize);</SCRIPT><!-- body article -->Writers have described the McElroy shooting as Skidmore's "20-year nightmare that won't go away" and "a scab that is continually picked."

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photos/notorious_murders/classics/ken_mcelroy/22-1-Ken-McElroy-.jpg Ken McElroy

The small town will be forever linked to and tainted by the murder. Like many rural outposts in <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">middle America</ST1:PLACE>, the population of the place has declined in the past 23 years—to about 350 people, down by nearly one-third.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photos/notorious_murders/classics/ken_mcelroy/22-2-Skidmore-Missouri-pain.jpg Skidmore, Missouri painting

Trena McElroy married again and moved away. A few of McElroy's children—roughly 15 of them by four women—are scattered about northwest <ST1:PLACE w:st="on"><ST1:STATE w:st="on">Missouri</ST1:STATE></ST1:PLACE>. Most of the lawmen involved in the case have retired, although prosecutor Baird and defense attorney McFadin continue to practice law.
Bo Bowenkamp died 10 years after the shooting. Lois Bowenkamp went on to serve on the town council. Over the years, she has been the Skidmore resident to whom reporters have been able to turn for a quote about the McElroy shooting.
This is typical of her comments: "The town is well rid of him. Justice is served."
But she continues to harbor resentment that the criminal justice system had failed her family and her town.
"If they had done something to tell him he could not keep violating other persons' rights, it might have made a difference," Bowenkamp told the Kansas City Star in 2001. "I still don't think there was any...sense in it having to go as far as it did, and nobody else would have been put in jeopardy."
Some in Skidmore are less reflective about the ordeal. Dunbar, the former town marshal, said his neighbors had only one regret about the shooting.
"It's really a shame about the Silverado," he said. "That was a really nice truck."
<!-- end body article -->

Katipan
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
"It's really a shame about the Silverado," he said. "That was a really nice truck."
<!-- end body article -->

LMAO

JOhn
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
defense attorney McFadin continue to practice law.

McFadin is a worthless POS.

ROFL about the truck :D

kepp
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I never saw cocaine until I was in my 20s. I didn't know anyone in high school that did it. Pot sure. Pills yeah. Coke, not so much. Probably a cost issue. Wonder if your g/f went to a richer school.

The kids I'm shaking my heads over are the ones doing meth in junior high.

NEVER saw meth in big cities. You avoided anyone that did meth like the plague. You do that in a some of these isolated small shanties and you're avoiding half the population.

Yeah, private school. That's part of the equation I'm sure.

blaise
05-11-2009, 10:11 AM
My point is, there are just as many pockets of ignorance in large cities as there are in small ones.

And all the small towns I have lived in are pretty much the same...Maysville, Cameron, Hamilton, Bethany, Mound city, Tarkio, Plattsburg etc..... It's all in what you choose to see. IMHO

It's true. I've lived in a variety of places, big and small, in different parts of the country and people are people. I don't even buy the Midwesterners are nicer, East Coasters and more rude. That stuff is very surface stuff. You don't need to scratch very far to see they're all the same.

Frazod
05-11-2009, 10:11 AM

I wasn't talking about ignorance. Stupid people are everywhere. But I can't buy into your notion that some podunk town in northern Missouri is a bastion of cultural diversity. I've lived in my share of them, too. Big difference between there and Cody - people actually move there on purpose.

I think you may be remembering these places a bit more fondly than you should. How old were you when you last lived in any of them?

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 10:12 AM
There were more people in my high school than in town I'm "from" now. And every one was related. If you were in town A you were related to "my" family. Town B was incidently related to my boyfriend's family.

Truly a cluster****.

true there are old school famalies in small town america around here you say hawks,creeds or fortners, you pretty much know where that persons from.
Hell i grew up on a farm that whas connected to my grandparents place and my uncle and his family had a place right down the road. I live in a great community though we did have a fella blow his house apart with a meth lab at the highwater bridge bend afew years back.

Iowanian
05-11-2009, 10:12 AM
None of those inbred, untraveled, non-wordly-bubble living bible beaters even know what a a tall half-skinny half-1 percent extra hot split quad shot (two shots decaf, two shots regular) latte with whip would get them.

pshaaaaaaaaaw.

JOhn
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I wasn't talking about ignorance. Stupid people are everywhere. But I can't buy into your notion that some podunk town in northern Missouri is a bastion of cultural diversity. I've lived in my share of them, too. Big difference between there and Cody - people actually move there on purpose.

I think you may be remembering these places a bit more fondly than you should. How old were you when you last lived in any of them?

Moved to Cody when i was 33. Grew up in KC area and moved to the country when I was 18, then back to KC from 28-32.

Again I really think it's in what you choose to see/believe. And with modern tech, the "culture gap" is just not what it was 20+ years ago. I see just as many people in large cities who are culturally ignorant as some hicks are.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I heard a story about a rich city slicker who moved to the hills and told all them dumb hillfolk he was gonna show em whats what. A year later he had to borrow money to get outta town.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 10:25 AM
None of those inbred, untraveled, non-wordly-bubble living bible beaters even know what a a tall half-skinny half-1 percent extra hot split quad shot (two shots decaf, two shots regular) latte with whip would get them.

pshaaaaaaaaaw.

I definitely like the fact that there are more Manly Men in the smaller necks of the woods. Course they come hand in hand with manly women too. And I'm not talking about physically.

RUSH
05-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I actually grew up in the same town that Scott Pioli is from. I like it, because it is very quiet and the community was generally friendly. BUT being a teenager growing up in the area was not much fun.

There would never be anything to do. If I wanted to go see a movie or do something fun, it usually was a 20-30 minute car ride at the minimum. I drive now so it's not a big deal anymore. Luckily for me I had a great group of friends and we always were around one another, so it could have been worse. I was also obsessed with basketball so that took up a lot of my time. So I guess it's what you make of it, but I would have rather grew up in a city or a big town. There were many kids that didn't have a good core group of friends and positive influences that were going down the wrong path in life. Heavy drug usage, drinking too much, getting in trouble. I think this is the person's fault for making poor decisions but I also think that some also did it because there was nothing else to do. There were a lot of bad apples for such a small town.

If I was an adult looking to settle down with a family or even without a family then I would much rather live in a small town. It's quiet, less people and safer. But you have to look out for your kids and make sure that they are hanging with the right crowd. Peer pressure and boredom at that age is tough and I have seen first hand how it can ruin good kids coming from strong families.

steelyeyed57
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Do you like it? Why do you like it (or not)? What do you think the advantages are? What do you think the disadvantages are?
Love living in a small (very small) town. No traffic, ever, everyone keeps to themselves and I rarely have to deal with other people not dealing with work, unless I choose to. To me the obvious disadvantage is the inconvenience of living away from stores and restaurants, etc. You had better remember to buy milk, etc. before Casey's closes at 11 or you're SOL.

This thread is all about small town, rural, country living. Rep to people who give good stories that exemplify what living in a rural town or the country is like.

I'm sure there's a lot of things that go on in small towns that city dwellers would find amusing, but its par for the course in small towns so its kind of hard to think of anything, i.e., half of my neighbors park in their yards (and I'm in the "nice" part of town). Also, not my town, but the small town I work in, they're hardcore about their Christmas lights and they get all pissy when people don't put out their designated decorations.
You can also talk about growing up in one.
I wouldn't trade growing up in a small town, but its true you can get pigeonholed into a certain family or social group early on and there's nothing you can do to change it as you get older regardless of how you change or mature. But you can ride your bike everywhere and be much more independent than kids in highly populated areas.

Redrum_69
05-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Current home is located in a town with less than 1000 people.

Small towns are great.

Only bad things...you have to drive everywhere to get anywhere. Most of the stores here have higher priced items which people buy because they dont want to drive 40 minutes to go to the nearest walmart/grocery store to stock up on bulk items. The gas is 10-20 cents higher in a small town. The amount of meth per small town acre is twice that of any acre in Independence. The amount of weed..well see previous statement. The politicians are more corrupt, the police are selling the drugs, theres gambling in the alleys behind the market, theres organzied crime at the banks, and the newspapers only talk about what the retirement population has been doing for the last week with stuff like who came to visit who, what they wore, what they brought for housegifts, what they ate and drank, and theres also a growing populace of mexican immigrants.

But other than that...small town is great.

Oh yeah...did I mention the relaxed laws? Basically its like this. You know the old saying "its not illegal unless you get caught" well down here its "everything is legal and if Billy-Bob catches you hauling moonshine tell that pig to put down the donuts and do his community service by helping you move your stash".

Iowanian
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I went to school with far fewer people than my cousins and friends from large schools. I knew a shitload more people in my HS than they did in theirs.

bulldogg
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I grew up in a small town in Iowa as a kid(>3000), and there are distinct advantages: no traffic, people will be more involved with you as they know you(this could be good or bad), less trying to keep up with the "Jones's", safer for kids, more access to outdoor stuff(fishing.etc.)...all the typical things.
I personally like the anonymity that goes along with living in a city. My neighbors and I look out for each other, but I don't know all the folks that live 10 houses down, nor do I care to. just my 2 cents.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I went to school with far fewer people than my cousins and friends from large schools. I knew a shitload more people in my HS than they did in theirs.

Did you all have a fightin spot for after school? Ours was a bridge(sneeds) and rollercoaster road. The bridge fights were always more intense.

blaise
05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Did you all have a fightin spot for after school? Ours was a bridge(sneeds) and rollercoaster road. The bridge fights were always more intense.

We had two spots, The Tree, which was for more immediate fights. It was behind a hedgerow that was close to the school. It was where kids went to smoke cigarettes before and after school and the ground was dirt because it was always getting stepped on. If two kids were really pissed they'd go to The Tree and scrap.
Then there was a place we called Cedars. It was a dirt road that ended in a loop near the highway. Inside the loop was grass and kids would sometimes fight in the center grass ring. I once saw three fistfights there in one day, one after another. It was like an MMA fighting card.

Iowanian
05-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Sure.
"over the hill" at the school...grassy bottom overlooked by steep hillside. It was like an ampitheater or the coliseum.

gravel pit, fair grounds, a rural church parking lot and a couple of "neutral ground" spots half way between towns.

Which brings another nice thing about rural disputes....none of those involved guns in my time, which was all the rage in the city.\

I'm a total pussy and a coward though, so I only heard about these places from the other kids at school.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm a total pussy and a coward though, so I only heard about these places from the other kids at school.

Thats weird cause just like david allen coe, ive won every fight ive ever fought.

Frazod
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM

We had several - there was a park about three blocks from the high school for those who needed to resolve things quickly. Generally fights got scheduled for Friday nights at either the fairgrounds or the upper elementary parking lot, both of which were fairly isolated at night. Never fought at the park - won a fight at the upper el and got my ass kicked at the fairgrounds.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 01:31 PM
We had several - there was a park about three blocks from the high school for those who needed to resolve things quickly. Generally fights got scheduled for Friday nights at either the fairgrounds or the upper elementary parking lot, both of which were fairly isolated at night. Never fought at the park - won a fight at the upper el and got my ass kicked at the fairgrounds.

i beat this guy silly out on rollercoaster road, broke my hand first punch. i kicked this kid in the face,piled him into the ground, bit him,choked him, fucker just keeps on coming at me. After about ten minutes i say 'oh shit its the cops' he turns and looks and i hit him with a straight left.

Goes down to one knee gets back up and wants more, i said fuck it and left.

Frazod
05-11-2009, 01:36 PM
i beat this guy silly out on rollercoaster road, broke my hand first punch. i kicked this kid in the face,piled him into the ground, bit him,choked him, fucker just keeps on coming at me. After about ten minutes i say 'oh shit its the cops' he turns and looks and i hit him with a straight left.

Goes down to one knee gets back up and wants more, i said fuck it and left.

Ouch. Sounds like he was out of his mind, but you've got to admire his attitude, I guess.

Demonpenz
05-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I wish more shit were settled with fists. No matter how many times teachers suspend kids, teach non fighting, all that pussy shit. It still comes down to fists flying, it's just now you get in deeper shit for it.

blaise
05-11-2009, 01:48 PM
The kids now have dance offs.

Jenson71
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
The kids now have dance offs.

Step Up, bitch.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I wish more shit were settled with fists. No matter how many times teachers suspend kids, teach non fighting, all that pussy shit. It still comes down to fists flying, it's just now you get in deeper shit for it.

Anyone who says fighting doesnt solve problems has never had there brain rattled.

SDChiefs
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I grew up in San Diego and have been in or around it my whole life. But when I was 8 or so my parents moved me to a town of 2000 ppl called Lake Morena. I loved it, to visit. We lasted a year there and I couldn't wait to get back to the city. Everybody knew everything that went on with everybody and it seemed like everybody was related to eachother in one way or another. In my opinion small towns are great to visit when you want to do the great outdoors thing, but I will take big city life any day of the week.

dirk digler
05-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Pros:
1. People are generally more willing to help because they KNOW you. And you will probably help them out down the road.

2. Quieter

3. Short commute. I live out of town and it is an 8 minute commute. It is glorious.

4. Safer (for the most part)

Cons
1. Far away from my family and friends (at least this one is).

2. Far away from civilization (I miss Chipotle... and well any real food restaurant :()

3. If there is bullshit, you're probably going to hear about it.

This. I have lived in both the city and in a small town and still live in a fairly small town of 10,000.

The one thing I would add is that you can leave your stuff unlocked or out in the open and it won't get stolen 98% of the time.

But as a kid growing up in a small town there isn't much to do that is why so many young women end up getting pregnant because there is basically only 2 things to do, drinking and fucking and they are ususally done at the same time.

PastorMikH
05-12-2009, 01:11 AM
It applies to the city also. When I visit Liberty and run into high school classmates, it's the same story............

I'll bet that is tough for you...

"DUDE! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR?"

:D

JOhn
05-12-2009, 01:37 AM
I'll bet that is tough for you...

"DUDE! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR?"

:D
:cuss:

dtebbe
05-12-2009, 09:31 AM
But as a kid growing up in a small town there isn't much to do that is why so many young women end up getting pregnant because there is basically only 2 things to do, drinking and ****ing and they are ususally done at the same time.

LOL! I grew up in a town of 1,300 and now that I'm approaching 40, the above is the one thing I liked most. :D

I grew up about 40 miles north of Columbia. Overall I liked the small town growing up, the opportunities were there if you wanted them. But you pretty much had to move away once you graduated if you wanted to make any $$. It did suck to have to drive an hour to see a movie etc.

DT

Dottefan
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
No Jews or Blacks.
Posted via Mobile Device

I live in Olathe, and I am black..how about we meet up so you can explain that comment to me in person...

Nzoner
05-12-2009, 10:04 AM
What I love about living outside the city is the wildlife,I can have friends over,crank up the tunes and be as loud as I want to without any complaints,although there was that one time with the A-class firework....

Katipan
05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
What I love about living outside the city is the wildlife,I can have friends over,crank up the tunes and be as loud as I want to without any complaints,although there was that one time with the A-class firework....

I was told that the first few weeks I arrived in Iowa (end of summer) I was frequently caught standing at a window just staring at outside.

I'd forgotten what the color green was supposed to look like.

I've since booze cruised to tons of spooky little hollows and busted bridges and fields and forests. We tapped a deer, I ran over a skunk, chased a buffalo, held a baby pig, fed a bear, and I played with lightning bugs. And armed with my bug spray I loved every second of it.

seclark
05-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I was told that the first few weeks I arrived in Iowa (end of summer) I was frequently caught standing at a window just staring at outside.

I've since booze cruised to tons of spooky little hollows and busted bridges and fields and forests. We tapped a deer, I ran over a skunk, chased a buffalo, held a baby pig, fed a bear, and I played with lightning bugs. And armed with my bug spray I loved every second of it.

sounds like you're hooked.
sec

Nzoner
05-12-2009, 10:21 AM

WTF no cow tipping yet?

Katipan
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
sounds like you're hooked.
sec

I'm pretty happy wherever I am, but I could certainly stay here for a long long time. I'm a nice person. I smile at people and hold doors. Always have a hug for a kid cat or dog. It's nice being around people like that too.

WTF no cow tipping yet?

Lets leave our exes out of it, babe.

Skip Towne
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Iowa? We spell that O-H-I-O around here.

Katipan
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Iowa? We spell that O-H-I-O around here.

That doesn't surprise me.

Nzoner
05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Lets leave our exes out of it, babe.

heh,well has someone at least offered to take you snipe hunting?

Iowanian
05-12-2009, 11:24 AM
You need to catch a snipe hunt.

Come to my area and I'll take you and company to the best snipe hunting in the midwest. If you're nice, I'll take you to the special bridge that is an important location to my tribe. We shoot guns and pee off it for important occasions.

seclark
05-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Come to my area and I'll take you and company to the best snipe hunting in the midwest. If you're nice, I'll take you to the special bridge that is an important location to my tribe. We shoot guns and pee off it for important occasions.

nothing beat a pissing bridge...my bil got married on ours.
sec

Iowanian
05-12-2009, 11:28 AM
We've got an old iron and wood one on a dirt road that is one of my top 10 favorite places on earth I think.

Maybe she can come down in a month or so for the flathead spawn....and test out her grip in the river.

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Prob'ly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me

But I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an L.A. doll and brought her to this small town
Now she's small town just like me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and that's good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breath in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

blaise
05-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I would love to punch John Cougar in the face.

MOhillbilly
05-12-2009, 11:34 AM
X2

seclark
05-12-2009, 11:38 AM
We've got an old iron and wood one on a dirt road that is one of my top 10 favorite places on earth I think.

Maybe she can come down in a month or so for the flathead spawn....and test out her grip in the river.

there's an idea...i hear it's a blast.
sec

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Heh. I'm not a big fan either; though his tunes can be catchy... ;)

ChiefMojo
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Spent the time and read through every single post on here. There are good arguments for both small towns and cities.

From my personal experience, I prefer the small towns a million times over. Grew up in towns around 2-4,000 people in Kansas. Also lived in Lawrence/KCK/KCMO for about 7 years.

Sure the cities had entertainment and lot of hot 'gina running around, but I hated the traffic, the snobby people, the crime, and just to many damn people for my liking. Doesn't hold true for everyone in the city, but it seemed no one there had a freaking imagination. Unless it was pre-made or placed for their entertainment pleasure, they didn't have a clue what to do with themselves.

Give me the Great Outdoors, the lack of crime, the lack of loud mouths running their mouths around every street corner, hardly any traffic, etc.

I'm perfectly happy with my case of beer, good loving woman, fishing pole, lake/river, and good natured people! Just to bad there are no mountains where I live. :D

I love to go to the cities to visit, but living their sucked in my books. Felt like I was a caged animal.

Iowanian
05-12-2009, 12:30 PM
It all depends on what makes a person happy.

I'm happier by a bon fire than I ever have been at a mall or a fancy restaurant. I'd rather walk a deer trail in the woods with my girls or nephews than go to a 30 plex to wait in line to see the new star trek movie. I'd be happier sitting outside listening to the frogs chirping than attending a symphony or opera.

As far as commutes and drives, I may live an hour from a major city, but from the discussions with those in LA etc, I don't think I spend any more time in a car going to "do stuff" than they do, I'm just moving at 80mph to get there instead of watching a woman pick her nose or apply lipstick at stop lights.

There are disadvantages in smaller communities, but I'm personally glad other people would prefer the city.

Cities are nice places to visit for rural people....and the farm community is a great escape for those urbanites who need a couple of days getting their hands and shoes dirty

Katipan
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
heh,well has someone at least offered to take you snipe hunting?

well I just learned a new word.

Don't tease a girl. I can think of no greater fun than luring things to their death.

It all depends on what makes a person happy.

I'm happier by a bon fire than I ever have been at a mall or a fancy restaurant...

Maaaaan. I've had some fun at all of those.

I think my experience in life makes me wary of too much innocence and isolation in my children. Which may be a disservice or a strength. I won't know until it's too late to fix it.

Otherwise, a slow paced life is just fine with me. I did my party hardy years. I have the pictures. I'm cool. Waterloo is a good compromise between my extremes.

Skip Towne
05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
well I just learned a new word.

Don't tease a girl. I can think of no greater fun than luring things to their death.

Maaaaan. I've had some fun at all of those.

I think my experience in life makes me wary of too much innocence and isolation in my children. Which may be a disservice or a strength. I won't know until it's too late to fix it.

Otherwise, a slow paced life is just fine with me. I did my party hardy years. I have the pictures. I'm cool. Waterloo is a good compromise between my extremes.

Post pics pls.

bevischief
05-12-2009, 05:06 PM
No home owner's associations, local police, dog catchers or local gov't. We have a liquor store and a gas station what else do you need?

JOhn
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Jack-a-lope hunting is more fun :D

JASONSAUTO
05-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Pros:
2. Peaceful

Cons
2. Dial-up

man my fathers whole family is from west plains

KCBOSS1
05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
For me personally, I was raised in a town too small. Have lived in large cities as well. Now live in a town of approximately 10,000 and it is large enough that there are decent restaurants, and most metro conveniences, but people really don't know everybody's business.

prhom
05-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Small towns are horrible if you're single. That being said, they can be awesome if they are on/near an interstate. That way you can support better restaurants, a Wal-Mart, and it's easier to get to places you need to go quickly. It's also better if you are an "outsider" that moves into the town. That way you don't have the history and it's a more normal existence than if you had been there you're whole life.

Boon
05-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Thats weird cause just like david allen coe, ive won every fight ive ever fought.

If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass!

LaChapelle
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
What on earth do you do if you get the shits, and there is no cornfield nearby?

JOhn
05-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Small towns are horrible if you're single. That being said, they can be awesome if they are on/near an interstate. That way you can support better restaurants, a Wal-Mart, and it's easier to get to places you need to go quickly. It's also better if you are an "outsider" that moves into the town. That way you don't have the history and it's a more normal existence than if you had been there you're whole life.
This

ThaVirus
05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
My mom's side of the family all live in backwater ass towns and villages in Ohio, while my dad's side all live in or around D.C. so I've had experince living in both. It definitely seems to hinge on what kind of person you are and what you're looking for in life, but I can tell you that the country life is not the one for me. To me, there's nothing in the country worth mentioning that I can't find in the city.

Socially, the city rocks the shit. Hanging out in rural towns, all there is to do is get drunk and drive around or go to the same tired ass houses and see the same tired ass people every weekend. Boooooooring. I'd rather go to the club and see a hundred people I didn't know existed before any day..