PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Former Missouri QB Patton now has to wait after tryout with Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
05-11-2009, 04:34 AM
Former Missouri QB Patton now has to wait after tryout with Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1189438.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Chase Patton’s second NFL tryout came to an end Sunday when the Chiefs concluded a three-day rookie camp at their Truman Sports Complex practice facility.

Just as he did after participating in a similar camp with Chicago the previous weekend, all Patton can do now is hope he did enough to earn a contract and a ticket to training camp.

“I feel like I’ve done all I can do,” said Patton, the former Missouri quarterback who spent most of his collegiate career as a backup to Chase Daniel. “Obviously, there are things I could have done better. They put a lot on our plates, and what I tried to show them is that when I made a mental mistake or a physical mistake, that I could bounce back and make a play the next play.

“It’s all been football talk so far. There really hasn’t been any of that kind of talk about what might happen next. I haven’t heard anything from them. I didn’t hear from them to begin with until Tuesday that I was even going to be here, so I have no idea at this point. Hopefully, some good will come from it.”

Patton and another tryout player, Drew Tate, were the Chiefs’ quarterbacks for the weekend. Tate played in college at Iowa, signed with St. Louis as an undrafted rookie two years ago and, after being released by the Rams, played for Saskatchewan in the CFL.

“They picked up on the system and they enabled us to get through practice,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “That’s a tough job.”

Not great praise, but that hasn’t been Haley’s way since joining the Chiefs last winter. More telling to Patton and Tate, the Chiefs have four veteran quarterbacks, the ideal number to bring to training camp.

Matt Cassel is the starter. The Chiefs also have backups Tyler Thigpen, Brodie Croyle and Ingle Martin.

Croyle didn’t participate in a recent veteran minicamp. His season ended last October with a knee injury and surgery.

Haley indicated Sunday that Croyle could be ready to play by the start of training camp in late July. If so, the Chiefs won’t be in need of another quarterback, at least in terms of numbers.

“As it stands, yeah,” Haley said. “Croyle is the wild card right now just on when we’re going to get him back. We’re hoping that before camp he’ll be ready to go.

“We’ll keep all options open and we’ll talk about these guys that were in here this weekend and anyone else that’s available or becomes available.”

Patton looked the part of an NFL quarterback at times over the weekend, showing a nice touch and some good accuracy. At 6 feet 4, he towered over the 6-0 Tate.

But it was Patton’s luck for the second straight week to be trying out for a team that recently acquired a starting quarterback. The Chiefs traded for Cassel last winter, and the Bears recently acquired Jay Cutler from Denver.

“I thought I had an outside shot to get drafted,” Patton said. “I kind of had some hope that it would happen, but I wasn’t disappointed when it didn’t. I didn’t have much to show them, so I knew my situation wasn’t great. All I really wanted was the opportunity.

“I have a lot against me. I have a lot to prove to people because I didn’t play a lot in college. I don’t have a lot of experience, so I have to show people I can compete, that I can pick stuff up and have the talent to do what it takes to play in the NFL. One of the things I tried to do out here was not press too much and try to do too much because that’s when you start making mistakes. I’ve just tried to show them I have the ability to play in this league.”

King_Chief_Fan
05-11-2009, 06:36 AM
If Croyle isn't ready by camp, end the experiment. He has been nothing but a waste of time and roster space....and Ingle Martin, good grief.

kepp
05-11-2009, 07:37 AM
If Croyle isn't ready by camp, end the experiment. He has been nothing but a waste of time and roster space....and Ingle Martin, good grief.

Agreed. We're a rebuilding/retooling team and we should look to those with some upside.

ChiTown
05-11-2009, 07:42 AM
“I thought I had an outside shot to get drafted,” Patton said.

Seriously? lol

Reerun_KC
05-11-2009, 07:45 AM

good thing Herm knew how to fix defenses....

Reerun_KC
05-11-2009, 07:46 AM

Seriously? lol

ROFL

Pestilence
05-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Just get rid of Croyle right now.......Jesus.

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Seriously? lol

Hell Matt Cassel got drafted, you never know

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
ROFL

Will it be funny if Todd Reesing says that next year ;)

Al Bundy
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM

Seriously? lol

Gil Brandt thought that Patton might get drafted as well.

Reerun_KC
05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Will it be funny if Todd Reesing says that next year ;)

Of course after he has repeatedly stated there isnt any desire to play football after KU...

but keep hope alive MU fan...

Reerun_KC
05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Hell Matt Cassel got drafted, you never know

Stop reminding us...

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Of course after he has repeatedly stated there isnt any desire to play football after KU...

but keep hope alive MU fan...

I think he'd make a great arena league QB, hell wildcat in the NFL

he's tough

SNR
05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Will it be funny if Todd Reesing says that next year ;)I should hope that Todd Reesing is smart enough to know he WON'T be the next Doug Flutie in the NFL.

Reerun_KC
05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I think he'd make a great arena league QB, hell wildcat in the NFL

he's tough

Nah, He is a good college QB, but not really an NFL QB...

Hell Meier has a great shot at being a first day pick.. But reesing better continue on with his grad school like he stated he wants to...

Reerun_KC
05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I should hope that Todd Reesing is smart enough to know he WON'T be the next Doug Flutie in the NFL.

This...

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Hell Meier has a great shot at being a first day pick.. But reesing better continue on with his grad school like he stated he wants to...

Yeah that is true...Meier def. would make a matt jones type of prospect minus being a douchebag

Reerun_KC
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Yeah that is true...Meier def. would make a matt jones type of prospect minus being a douchebag

This, I am very surprised how Meier went from QB to WR and made the transition very easily...

The dude is a great WR and a solid student of the game... Should be an all big 12 canidate this year...

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 08:47 AM
This, I am very surprised how Meier went from QB to WR and made the transition very easily...

The dude is a great WR and a solid student of the game... Should be an all big 12 canidate this year...

At first i was annoyed a damn QB was burning our corners and catching things, but he was just damn good. Wish mizzou had him as a WR last year

talastan
05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I'd be happy to drop Martin and Croyle for Patton, good developmental prospect. Great arm strength, prototypical size; not a bad third string, or practice squad option.

buddha
05-11-2009, 11:22 AM

I'll take action on that Meier prediction. It will never happen. How about a sweatshirt of the winner's choice?

CoMoChief
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Seriously? lol

Well, Freeman got drafted in the 1st round, which I think is more laughable.

Kyle DeLexus
05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll take action on that Meier prediction. It will never happen. How about a sweatshirt of the winner's choice?

He never said that he's getting drafted 1st round. He said he has a great shot. He does have a shot depending on how this next year goes. The guy is an outstanding football player, and a team first player.

Mr. Krab
05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I could see Meier getting drafted in the 3rd round if he continues to improve as a WR this year. He is one of these slot guys that never get an interviews or any PR but get 500-700 yrds each year and do whatever the team needs.

Pitt Gorilla
05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I read a rumor that the Chiefs have signed Patton.