PDA

View Full Version : Life Car buying advice?

Lono
05-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Ok, my wife might be selling her chevy trailblazer. She is wanting a car. She really likes the pontiac grand prix. I would prefer something else because i have heard they have a lot of trouble around 100k miles. Plus everyone and their brother has one. What are some good cars that are kind of sporty with 4 doors. And do I get a loan from my bank, or do I try and finance through them? What do I want to look for and what do I want to stay away from with car dealers. I normally have the money through my bank and just go in and offer what I want and they take it or dont and I write a check. I have seen all the good offers on t.v. and thought we might be able to get a better deal through the dealership. Advice?

dilligaf
05-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Just go in and do everything the nice honest salesman says.:D

Simply Red
05-11-2009, 08:28 AM
German, lono, German.

Bwana
05-11-2009, 08:31 AM
The biggest issues with a Grand Prix si the tranny will go out. If you get one, make sure you get the 3800 engine and NOT the 3100. The 3100 engines go through head gaskets like crap goes through a goose.

I would stick to a Honda Accord and make sure the T belt gets changed.

Great Expectations
The dealership will have better interest rates available if your credit score is above 660.

I just bought a car using dealerships online/e-mail. The negotiating was much, much more enjoyable.

Sure-Oz
I heard pontiac and gm cars are going super cheap right now, saw a new grand prix ad in the paper from a dealer selling for $11k.

Lono
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Bwana I like the honda accord also but the wife is pretty set on buying american. I have already filled out one of those things requesting for the best offers and financing for dealers in my area. I am thinking I can drive to springfield which is like 80 miles from here and get the best deal. How much should I expect to be able to haggle them down? If I can get a great % I can afford to probably buy a little more expensive car but I dont want to end up head over heals on one either. Thats what scares me about buying new, the moment I drive it off the lot its 3grand cheaper.

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Bwana I like the honda accord also but the wife is pretty set on buying american. I have already filled out one of those things requesting for the best offers and financing for dealers in my area. I am thinking I can drive to springfield which is like 80 miles from here and get the best deal. How much should I expect to be able to haggle them down? If I can get a great % I can afford to probably buy a little more expensive car but I dont want to end up head over heals on one either. Thats what scares me about buying new, the moment I drive it off the lot its 3grand cheaper.

I'd rather buy an accord than a pontiac, that said they are super cheap, and should last for atleast 7 years id think.

modocsot
05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
German, lono, German.

THIS.

Lono
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Just got a phone call, will definitely be buying something trailblazer is sold. Man I hate this process.

Scorp
05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Buy this Chrysler and get a free ladder!

The Bad Guy
05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
The dealership will have better interest rates available if your credit score is above 660.

I just bought a car using dealerships online/e-mail. The negotiating was much, much more enjoyable.

Bullshit.

Your credit union will have the best interest rates available.

The Bad Guy
05-11-2009, 09:24 AM

The depreciation is only an issue if you plan on selling it within 2-3 years.

Scorp
05-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Bullshit.

I don't know of many credit unions that offer 0% financing.

alpha_omega
05-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Honda Accord....2.9% for 36 or 3.9 for 60.

The Bad Guy
05-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't know of many credit unions that offer 0% financing.

And who is offering zero percent financing now? Don't you have to have superior credit to qualify for that offer?

58-4ever
05-11-2009, 09:28 AM
www.subaru.com

Great Expectations
05-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Bullshit.

Maybe older cars, but not newer ones. The F&I guy may not offer you a rate better than your Credit Union's, but he could.

burt
05-11-2009, 09:33 AM
And who is offering zero percent financing now? Don't you have to have superior credit to qualify for that offer?

Chevrolet is offering 0% on just about everything except the Vette. Any score over 660 will most likely qualify

The Bad Guy
05-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Chevrolet is offering 0% on just about everything except the Vette. Any score over 660 will most likely qualify

Did not know that. I got 3.9 on my new Highlander through my credit union.

burt
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Maybe older cars, but not newer ones. The F&I guy may not offer you a rate better than your Credit Union's, but he could.

Our Finance department beats just about any CU out there....with the exception of maybe USAA.

Great Expectations
05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Here is what Toyota Dealerships are advertising for Highlander rates:

Get 1.9% APR financing for 36 months on a New 2009 Highlander
Includes hybrid model
A special offer from your participating Toyota dealer.

1.9% APR for 36 months
2.9% APR for 48 months
3.9% APR for 60 months

Msmith
05-11-2009, 09:43 AM
My first two cars, Oldsmobile and a Grand Am, turned out with bad experiences, especially the Grand AM. Then my wife got a Plymouth van for driving the kids. That didn't turn out great either. If you put love of the country above the love of your family, more power to you. To me, regardless GM or Honda, they are made by American workers and the paychecks go to them.

Back to car buying. A month ago we were shopping for a newer car to replace my 1989 Mazda 626. We went for a Mazda 6i 2008 with 24k miles in a used car lot for $13000 after the trade in. We paid with cash, check and credit card combined. In other words, didn't require the financing from the dealer. Negotiation was a piece of cake.

Maybe the GM experience is still haunting my memory, I skipped the GM cars. There were a lot of PC Cruisers in the lot too. But I heard bad report about them. If you wife insists on an American made car, check out the Fusion or Focus from Ford.

burt
05-11-2009, 09:49 AM
My first two cars, Oldsmobile and a Grand Am, turned out with bad experiences, especially the Grand AM. Then my wife got a Plymouth van for driving the kids. That didn't turn out great either. If you put love of the country above the love of your family, more power to you. To me, regardless GM or Honda, they are made by American workers and the paychecks go to them.

Back to car buying. A month ago we were shopping for a newer car to replace my 1989 Mazda 626. We went for a Mazda 6i 2008 with 24k miles in a used car lot for $13000 after the trade in. We paid with cash, check and credit card combined. In other words, didn't require the financing from the dealer. Negotiation was a piece of cake.

Maybe the GM experience is still haunting my memory, I skipped the GM cars. There were a lot of PC Cruisers in the lot too. But I heard bad report about them. If you wife insists on an American made car, check out the Fusion or Focus from Ford.

Interesting advice but your advice is based in ignorance. The Chevrolet Malibu was rated the highest in Initial Quality by J.D. Powers and offers a significantly better warranty than any import.

Msmith
05-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Interesting advice but your advice is based in ignorance. The Chevrolet Malibu was rated the highest in Initial Quality by J.D. Powers and offers a significantly better warranty than any import.

I take it that you work for a car dealership? I confess that I am very ignorant in cars. I know one thing, many new cars are very similar on performance but 5 or 10 years down the road generally GM cars fared worse than the Japanese made.

ChiefButthurt
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Honda Accords are made in Marysville Ohio......study the topic son.

burt
05-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I take it that you work for a car dealership? I confess that I am very ignorant in cars. I know one thing, many new cars are very similar on performance but 5 or 10 years down the road generally GM cars fared worse than the Japanese made.

Go to google....type in "sludge Toyotas"......then get back to me with what you "know" Oh, BTW, yes I work at a dealership, and I drive a 14 year old domestic with 165000 miles on it every day. My soon to be ex drives a domestic with 185,000 miles.

burt
05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda Accords are made in Marysville Ohio......study the topic son.

and the profits still go to Japan.

vailpass
05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Does the fact that Pontiac is a discontinued line have any impact on whether you should buy one of their cars?

burt
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
The warranty will be honored at most, if not all GM dealers. Since GM shares so many componants, parts should not be an issue. Resale will be terrible tho.....

Deberg_1990
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
The Chevrolet Malibu was rated the highest in Initial Quality by J.D. Powers and offers a significantly better warranty than any import.

If you really think the quality, exterior and interior of a Chevy Malibu is superior to a typical Honda Accord, you are delusional.

vailpass
05-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Go to google....type in "sludge Toyotas"......then get back to me with what you "know" Oh, BTW, yes I work at a dealership, and I drive a 14 year old domestic with 165000 miles on it every day. My soon to be ex drives a domestic with 185,000 miles.

I drive a Yukon Denali and support US vehicles but that doesn't change the fact that Toyota and Honda absolutley destroy US vehicles for performance and reliability. Anything said to the contrary is a sales pitch.

burt
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
If you really think the quality, exterior and interior of a Chevy Malibu is superior to a typical Honda Accord, you are delusional.

J.D. Powers is an independent testing organization. Toyota and Honda recognizes this because when they win it...they advvertise it. How many times have you been inside a new Malibu?

Brock
05-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Are we still pretending GM is an american company?

vailpass
05-11-2009, 10:13 AM

I am. For now.

burt
05-11-2009, 10:20 AM

sure, why not?

Brock
05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
sure, why not?

You need to wake up. By the time they're finished, there will probably be more american content on a Honda than there is on a Chevy.

burt
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
You need to wake up. By the time they're finished, there will probably be more american content on a Honda than there is on a Chevy.

ROFLROFLROFL

Brock
05-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Laugh all you want, it beats actually paying attention to what's going on I'm sure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/07/AR2009050704336.html

rockchalkgirl
05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I have a 1998 Grand Prix with the 3800 engine in it that turned over 180,000 miles yesterday. The 3800 is a great engine...between a Buick I had with the 3800 that I gave to my folks and the Grand Prix, we put nearly 400,000 miles on the two of them total.

I love my Grand Prix. Mileage is pretty decent, and I've only had a couple of issues-replaced a starter, the rack and pinion, and an alternator.

Pants
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR.

Lono
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Car wife likes. http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/pontiac-grand_prix-cars308176510?start=1&geo=true&sortcol=price&sortdir=up&location=Springfield%2C+MO+65806&listingtype=used&model=grand_prix&make=pontiac&distance=50

wild1
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM

In many cases there probably is already.

The Japanese makes are supposed to produce more cars in the US next year than "detroit" will. I'm not biased against them. They employ Americans who work hard for their money just like detroit does.

As for the profits going back to Japan, the shareholders own the company, and they're around the world. Tell the communities in San Antonio or Indiana or Ohio or Alabama that the benefits all go back overseas. Tell the shareholders that. Tell your own 401k that, your funds probably own Toyota and Honda.

And "profit", for that matter, is nonexistent on American carts so it's kind of academic to begin with.

dilligaf
05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
People can say what ever they want about imports (sludge and whatnot) the facts are that Toyotas and Hondas on average last longer and hold their value better than anything else. This is not to say that SOME domestics aren't worthy of your dollars. The Malibu is probably a decent car, but for my money you cant beat a Camry or Accord.
I've sold cars for years and have spent my time in the F&I office. Check your credit union, and see if the finance guy at the dealership can beat it.

Also be carefull of doc fees. All dealers charge them, but some are outrageous.

wild1
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
capital one auto finance has been good to me. you apply online, they send you a 'blank check' in a couple of days. then you go in there negotiating as if you were a cash buyer. None of the interest rate/payment/selling price shell game.

Plus you can pay the loan and stuff online when you're done. They gave me a great rate but my credit is impeccable. Don't know if they do spotty or bad cred. loans.

MIAdragon
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Here is a sporty with 4 door.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/officially-official-2010-ford-taurus-sho/

Bwana
05-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Laugh all you want, it beats actually paying attention to what's going on I'm sure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/07/AR2009050704336.html

ouch

JASONSAUTO
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
The biggest issues with a Grand Prix si the tranny will go out. If you get one, make sure you get the 3800 engine and NOT the 3100. The 3100 engines go through head gaskets like crap goes through a goose.

I would stick to a Honda Accord and make sure the T belt gets changed.

add the 3400 to the one NOT TO BUY same problems they SAY that the dexcool caused it but i'm not too sure about that. take it from a guy who has changed probably over a thousand head gaskets on 3.1 and 3.4 engines(not to mention intake gaskets on the 3.1 3.4 and 5.7 that used the plastic/silicone gaskets) oh yeah also MANY lower end bearings went bye bye too. i havent seen many problems with the 3.8 except with the plastic upper intake warping and leaking internally(rare but have seen) and having to replace the whole upper intake.

LaChapelle
05-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR.

Never driven one, but Mitsubishi sell cheap used and have a pretty good reputation.

Detoxing
05-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Omfg, everyone on here seems to be a honda homo. He said he is buying american, stop trying to shove an import down his throat.

Take a look at the pontiac g6. Very sporty interior, one of the funnest fwd cars I've ever driven. The v6 ford fusion is also nice. The lincoln mkz if u want a more luxorious fusion. The mazda 6 is built on the same platform. Chevys malibu is a damn nice car, fuck what these homos say. The dodge charger is probably dropping in price.the chrysler sebring is nice as well.

If ur buying used, I would go take a g6 for a test drive. If ur buying new, its the malibu.

Yes honda and toyota make great cars, but so do the american car companies. Some of the people on this board are stuck in the past, news flash people, gm has significantly improved the build quality
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
05-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Never driven one, but Mitsubishi sell cheap used and have a pretty good reputation.

customer has the EVO and has LOTS of problems with it so far

LaChapelle
05-11-2009, 07:03 PM

Don't know about the EVO, just the Lancer/Mirage seem to be cheap and fairly reliable used. Heard good things about the Ford Focus also.

JASONSAUTO
05-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Omfg, everyone on here seems to be a honda homo. He said he is buying american, stop trying to shove an import down his throat.

Take a look at the pontiac g6. Very sporty interior, one of the funnest fwd cars I've ever driven. The v6 ford fusion is also nice. The lincoln mkz if u want a more luxorious fusion. The mazda 6 is built on the same platform. Chevys malibu is a damn nice car, fuck what these homos say. The dodge charger is probably dropping in price.the chrysler sebring is nice as well.

If ur buying used, I would go take a g6 for a test drive. If ur buying new, its the malibu.

Yes honda and toyota make great cars, but so do the american car companies. Some of the people on this board are stuck in the past, news flash people, gm has significantly improved the build quality
Posted via Mobile Device
the G6 is a nice car i think it was buehler that has one

Detoxing
05-11-2009, 07:06 PM

No. Mitsus are shit. That's about the worse u can do. They r notorious for bad quality
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock
05-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

"American" cars are no more American than Hondas are. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And no, GM still sucks donkey balls compared to its "foreign" brethren.

Ford, however, I'd buy.

Silock
05-11-2009, 07:11 PM

Evos are really, really unreliable. DSMs always have been. I'd never buy one as anything except a toy.

LaChapelle
05-11-2009, 07:11 PM
No. Mitsus are shit. That's about the worse u can do. They r notorious for bad quality
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd like to have about a mid 90s nonturbo Eclipse, for shits and gigles.

Silock
05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I'd like to have about a mid 90s nonturbo Eclipse, for shits and gigles.

Uh, why would you want a NON-turbo? Talk about taking away the only good thing about that car . . . geebus.

LaChapelle
05-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Uh, why would you want a NON-turbo? Talk about taking away the only good thing about that car . . . geebus.

I've heard to stay the **** away from the turbo models, bent valves, ect. Used you're just asking for it.

Silock
05-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I've heard to stay the **** away from the turbo models, bent valves, ect. Used you're just asking for it.

The main issue with the turbos is crankwalk on the 4g63. But that engine is absolutely fantastic and can take a shit load of boost without modification.

Other than that, there really is no redeeming feature about that car. Non-turbo models are slow and they never handled particularly well. Nor are they reliable.

LaChapelle
05-11-2009, 07:19 PM
The main issue with the turbos is crankwalk on the 4g63. But that engine is absolutely fantastic and can take a shit load of boost without modification.

Other than that, there really is no redeeming feature about that car. Non-turbo models are slow and they never handled particularly well. Nor are they reliable.

I just want one for blocks on the front yard. The nonturbo would make less of an excuse for not fixing it.

Detoxing
05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
"American" cars are no more American than Hondas are. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And no, GM still sucks donkey balls compared to its "foreign" brethren.

Ford, however, I'd buy.

Lol. Wow. You would rather buy ford over gm. That pretty much discounts any argument u may think u have from this point forward. Go drive a new gm and then come talk 2 me. And the argument isn't about wether or not honda is better than gm, its about the fact that people come on here blasting gm in there efforts to suck off honda. The point is, this couple want an american car, and there are plenty of viable american options out there. They don't need u or anyone else to deter them and bad mouth american cars when half the people poppin off don't know what they r talking about
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock
05-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Lol. Wow. You would rather buy ford over gm. That pretty much discounts any argument u may think u have from this point forward.

Yeah, I would, considering their build quality is now pretty much on-par with both Honda and Toyota. GM -- not so much. Ford has been continually improving. GM has, too, but not to the same extent.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090106/AUTO01/901060332/1148

Go drive a new gm and then come talk 2 me.

I did. I was really wanting to buy a new Sky or Solstice, but they both drove like ass compared to a Miata or S2000.

The point is, this couple want an american car, and there are plenty of viable american options out there. They don't need u or anyone else to deter them and bad mouth american cars when half the people poppin off don't know what they r talking about
Posted via Mobile Device

THEY AREN'T AMERICAN CARS (at least, not THAT much more than a Toyota or Honda or Nissan that is built here by American workers). That's just a leftover mentality from the time that they were.

And yes, GM SUCKS DONKEY BALLS (although, I'd love to have a CTS-V or a Z06... only exceptions I'd make, though).

Bwana
05-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Lol. Wow. You would rather buy ford over gm. That pretty much discounts any argument u may think u have from this point forward. Go drive a new gm and then come talk 2 me. And the argument isn't about wether or not honda is better than gm, its about the fact that people come on here blasting gm in there efforts to suck off honda. The point is, this couple want an american car, and there are plenty of viable american options out there. They don't need u or anyone else to deter them and bad mouth american cars when half the people poppin off don't know what they r talking about
Posted via Mobile Device

The other half do.

Prozac up there little buddy. Did Richard Simmons run you off the road in a Honda or what?

Saul Good
05-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Some of the people on this board are stuck in the past, news flash people, gm has significantly improved the build quality
Posted via Mobile Device

3 lies I've heard for the last 20 years of my life about the US:

1. Soccer is about to become popular in the US
2. The US will convert to the metric system
3. American cars are as good as Japanese cars

They are all patently absurd. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say anything resembling, "I wish I hadn't bought that Accord/Camry/Maxima. It was a piece of crap that couldn't stay out of the shop." Can you say the same thing about any American car?

Initial quality is also about the stupidest category ever. I couldn't care less about initial quality. Tell me about the quality of the vehicle 3, 5, and 10 years down the line, and I'll listen.

Cormac
05-11-2009, 09:32 PM
The other half do.

Prozac up there little buddy. Did Richard Simmons run you off the road in a Honda or what?

ROFL
ROFL
ROFL

Cormac
05-11-2009, 09:34 PM

You know what's even better than a good warranty?

A car that doesn't need one.

Silock
05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
You know what's even better than a good warranty?

A car that doesn't need one.

Truth. I have an '02 Acura that's never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. That's not bad for a car that's 7 years old.

Pants
05-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Really, you guys don't recommend the MR? I have really convinced myself that it was the best 40k car for what I want. I've been thinking about the WRX STi for some time, but the new models are not appealing to me at all and are a far cry compared to the previous generation.

It's def. not a family car and I just threw it as half-joke and to see any reaction to it. It's a rather successful rally car and even the stock version is rather impressive (without any tuning). I'm not a ricer or anything, but that car is fast, beautiful an handles like a champ. It's a poor(er) man's Nissan GTR. And now I read all this....

Silock
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Really, you guys don't recommend the MR? I have really convinced myself that it was the best 40k car for what I want. I've been thinking about the WRX STi for some time, but the new models are not appealing to me at all and are a far cry compared to the previous generation.

It's def. not a family car and I just threw it as half-joke and to see any reaction to it. It's a rather successful rally car and even the stock version is rather impressive (without any tuning). I'm not a ricer or anything, but that car is fast, beautiful an handles like a champ. It's a poor(er) man's Nissan GTR. And now I read all this....

Sorry, but the Evo's build quality is just sub-par. It's a GREAT car. It's fast, corners on rails and is generally just sex to drive. However, it's like a girl that's into fisting -- Fun for a night, but you'd never want to marry her because things are just going to go from loose to looser.

A friend of mine has an Evo. Lightly modded, runs 10s. Great on that, but the interior is falling apart, and it's only 2 years old.

BryanBusby
05-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Evos are really, really unreliable. DSMs always have been. I'd never buy one as anything except a toy.

I've found DSMs to actually be reliable, if they aren't modded. Evos are pretty neat, but I sure as hell won't use one as a daily driver.

King_Chief_Fan
05-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Not in any particular order but the following get great reviews and are quality american made automobiles
1. Ford Edge
2. Ford Fusion
3. Chevrolet Malibu

Then there are the imports: Acura, mercedes C class....both a little more expensive but you will have long after you pass 100k miles

my opinion anyway

Brock
05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Go drive a new gm and then come talk 2 me.

I just did. What did you want to talk about?

Cormac
05-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Truth. I have an '02 Acura that's never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. That's not bad for a car that's 7 years old.

I drove an Acura Integra until it was 16 years old. Can't remember how many miles. The body started giving out towards the end but the engine had years left.

MIAdragon
05-12-2009, 08:10 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/02/018_2010taurussho_opt.jpg

Twin Turbo AWD what more could you ask for?

MagicHef
05-12-2009, 08:42 AM
I was really wanting to buy a new Sky or Solstice, but they both drove like ass compared to a Miata or S2000.

Did you get a Miata or S2000?

Silock
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Did you get a Miata or S2000?

Going for the S2000. I used to have a Miata, but the newer ones just aren't the same. Too heavy with the same power. Kinda took away the fun.

The S2000 isn't perfect (kinda feels like you're sitting in a bathtub to drive it), but it's fast and handles like a dream.

ChiefButthurt
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM

:clap:

ChiefButthurt
05-12-2009, 02:41 PM

You mean the profits that each American employee earns while building those Accords? Oh really?

Don't be upset that every american auto maker has run themselves into the ground.

ChiefButthurt
05-12-2009, 02:42 PM

And right after you type sludge....type in "fixed by Toyota for free". The hits will be incredible.

Pants
05-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Going for the S2000. I used to have a Miata, but the newer ones just aren't the same. Too heavy with the same power. Kinda took away the fun.

The S2000 isn't perfect (kinda feels like you're sitting in a bathtub to drive it), but it's fast and handles like a dream.

I thought they d/c'ed the S2000's...

CrazyHorse
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I've been buying American cars my whole life.

No problems.

I currently have one that's 12 years old and one that's 4 years old. I have a Dodge van that I run work out of. It has 180,000 hard city miles on it and runs like a top.

I also have a buddy that runs an auto shop. Yep, tey have toyotas, hondas, acuras, and the whole lot in there for service all the time, as well as domestics.

I believe in keeping the money in the US. Thats just my preference. But then, Ive raised a son in this country. I owe it to him. I've not been sorry one day of my life for doing so. My cars always run like a top.

Fact is, if you're driving a 4 banger, it's japanese anyway. Reguardless what the logo on the grill says. Your electronics are chinese.

Oxford
05-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I am thinking I can drive to springfield which is like 80 miles from here and get the best deal. How much should I expect to be able to haggle them down? If I can get a great % I can afford to probably buy a little more expensive car but I dont want to end up head over heals on one either.

Stay away from Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield.
Marshfield Chevrolet seems okay as a dealer. Pinegar would be my next choice. Both of them have extensive program inventories, beats the depreciation. They have websites also (shop from you home). Get your best local rate, and if they want to beat it let em. Our best rate on our Saturn (now Studebaker) Outlook 4.99%, but the dealer beat it after I told him he was welcome to try

Silock
05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I thought they d/c'ed the S2000's...

They did. You can still buy them from the dealers. I'm sure as shit not buying new, though. There's no point. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. It's not like I'm going to need a warranty anyway -- it's a Honda :)

Halfcan
05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
go to Carmax in Indep and ask for Stacey.

Lono
05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Update:

Our local dealer, who I am friends with , got me a car at an auction today for $10,800. 2008 grand prix 36k miles. I checked all over the state of mo the last couple days and no one could get anywhere near that. They are all selling for around $11,800. I feel like we got a pretty good deal. Bank gave us 6.9% rate, they matched what the deal could give. Thanks for all the info and help.

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Take a look at the pontiac g6. Very sporty interior, one of the funnest fwd cars I've ever driven. The v6 ford fusion is also nice. The lincoln mkz if u want a more luxorious fusion. The mazda 6 is built on the same platform. Chevys malibu is a damn nice car, **** what these homos say. The dodge charger is probably dropping in price.the chrysler sebring is nice as well.

Posted via Mobile Device

So are you saying the someone who drives a 1993 Honda, may not have the latest sample to make a decision from?

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM

I had the same with my 02 Chrysler 300M, but that won't make the Honda lovers happy.

Hope they are enjoying this economy.

The fucking idiots that say Hondas/Toyotas/Nissans are American made don't know shit. They are justifying this to themselvers.
They are asembled with Japanese automation, with a few low paid American workers, pushing the buttons.
The majority of the parts are produced by Japanese companies that relocate their distribution centers close to the plant, and qualify as "domestic content."

Brock
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes, yes, "buy American" from one of our three multinational corporations that are offshoring jobs as quickly as they can. Fools.

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes, yes, "buy American" from one of our three multinational corporations that are offshoring jobs as quickly as they can. Fools.
cause and effect

Brock
05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
cause and effect

The cause: We don't want to pay American workers what they're worth.

The effect: Get some Indian or Korean to do it for 10 percent as much. Put the rest in our pocket.

But you keep on "buying American" there, Chief.

Msmith
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
They are asembled with Japanese automation, with a few low paid American workers, pushing the buttons. The majority of the parts are produced by Japanese companies that relocate their distribution centers close to the plant, and qualify as "domestic content."

Even with they are non-union, I won't say those Japanese plant autoworkers are low paid.

Lono, congrats for a new car. Hope yours is trouble free and result in many happy memories.

badgirl
05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok, my wife might be selling her chevy trailblazer. She is wanting a car. She really likes the pontiac grand prix. I would prefer something else because i have heard they have a lot of trouble around 100k miles. Plus everyone and their brother has one. What are some good cars that are kind of sporty with 4 doors. And do I get a loan from my bank, or do I try and finance through them? What do I want to look for and what do I want to stay away from with car dealers. I normally have the money through my bank and just go in and offer what I want and they take it or dont and I write a check. I have seen all the good offers on t.v. and thought we might be able to get a better deal through the dealership. Advice?

Are you looking to buy a brand new one or a used one?

Well, the reason I ask is on a new one you have the right to look at the invoice and I had a guy come in and offer 800 buck above the invoice and we took the offer, he wrote check and that was it. You do have the right to look at the invoice, I would look at it and make a offer from that if I was you.

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
The cause: We don't want to pay American workers what they're worth.

The effect: Get some Indian or Korean to do it for 10 percent as much. Put the rest in our pocket.

But you keep on "buying American" there, Chief.

At least I am BUYING, and not using 16 year old data as my source to ridicule the current products, Scout.

The horse is out of the barn, doesn't really matter anymore. Detroit made shit products in the 70s, CR and the rest of the media have made sure we are all going to pay the price.

The support jobs, making the parts is far more important than any of the assembly line work.

Brock
05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
At least I am BUYING, and not using 16 year old data as my source to ridicule the current products, Scout.

I'm not using 16 year old data. And guess what, I'm BUYING too, whether I want to or not, so we can bailout and save these companies that are shipping our jobs overseas. You''re as bad as the douchebags who blame the UAW for GM's problems.

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm not using 16 year old data. And guess what, I'm BUYING too, whether I want to or not, so we can bailout and save these companies that are shipping our jobs overseas. You''re as bad as the douchebags who blame the UAW for GM's problems.

You are clueless on this subject, very unusual for you. I thought you were driving a 16 year old Honda or Toyota? You were bragging about that on here the other day.

I have put a few hundred thousand miles on much newer Detroit iron since then, without problems.

People keep regirgitating the same old tired shit, about Detroit's cars being below standard, and you are one of the worst on here at it. But yet, you drive a 16 year old Jap car. YOU HAVE NO BASIS FOR AN OPINION other than what some writer who doesn't know shit, tells you.

Brock
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
You are clueless on this subject, very unusual for you. I thought you were driving a 16 year old Honda or Toyota? You were bragging about that on here the other day.

I have put a few hundred thousand miles on much newer Detroit iron since then, without problems.

People keep regirgitating the same old tired shit, about Detroit's cars being below standard, and you are one of the worst on here at it. But yet, you drive a 16 year old Jap car. YOU HAVE NO BASIS FOR AN OPINION other than what some writer who doesn't know shit, tells you.

ONE OF MY CARS is a 91 Honda. You must be an incredible fucking moron to extrapolate that into the notion that this is what I'm using to judge relative quality. Detroit's cars are below the standard of quality of the competition, I have a wide variety of sources and professional experiences to draw from. You? Your argument consists of "NOOOO, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT IT ISN'T TRUE I DRIVE A MERKIN CAR AND IT'S GREAT!!"

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 01:57 PM
ONE OF MY CARS is a 91 Honda. You must be an incredible ****ing moron to extrapolate that into the notion that this is what I'm using to judge relative quality. Detroit's cars are below the standard of quality of the competition, I have a wide variety of sources and professional experiences to draw from. You? Your argument consists of "NOOOO, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT IT ISN'T TRUE I DRIVE A MERKIN CAR AND IT'S GREAT!!"
So what are your sources? It has been documented in this thread that there are American cars equal to, if not better than your beloved Hondas.

I am actually in the tier 1 supply industry, and am privy to the industry numbers.

Yours? What some CR reporter wrote? The guy that thought a Mazda was great and the same thing in a Ford was not?

Stick to what you know, and quit trying to influence people to buy Hondas based on your 18 year old information.

Oh, and the automotive bailout is just a smokescreen for the real problem you are going to finance, AIG.

Brock
05-13-2009, 02:13 PM
So what are your sources? It has been documented in this thread that there are American cars equal to, if not better than your beloved Hondas.

I am actually in the tier 1 supply industry, and am privy to the industry numbers.

Yours? What some CR reporter wrote? The guy that thought a Mazda was great and the same thing in a Ford was not?

Stick to what you know, and quit trying to influence people to buy Hondas based on your 18 year old information.

Oh, and the automotive bailout is just a smokescreen for the real problem you are going to finance, AIG.

Oh, I see. GM is on it's ass because of AIG, not because their designs are smoked at every level by imports. My qualifications to say what I'm saying is that I interact with GM engineering all the time, and all they focus on is "That improvement would cost 2 and half cents, so the answer is NO". I am sticking to what I know, dumbass. I'm not trying to influence anybody, I'm speaking from experience, and it doesn't have anything to do with my 18 year old Honda, which is an irrelevant point that you can't seem to stop bashing your thick skull against. I also have a 61 Caddy, an 80 Vette, and an 84 Chevy pickup, as if that means a goddamn thing.

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh, I see. GM is on it's ass because of AIG, not because their designs are smoked at every level by imports. My qualifications to say what I'm saying is that I interact with GM engineering all the time, and all they focus on is "That improvement would cost 2 and half cents, so the answer is NO". I am sticking to what I know, dumbass. I'm not trying to influence anybody, I'm speaking from experience, and it doesn't have anything to do with my 18 year old Honda, which is an irrelevant point that you can't seem to stop bashing your thick skull against. I also have a 61 Caddy, an 80 Vette, and an 84 Chevy pickup, as if that means a goddamn thing.

So your newest sample, or actual experience of ownership is the 91. You are the guy I want to listen to! Brilliant!

I work with engineering with all of the companies except the Koreans, and the Japanese are the worst, but once again, I am dealing with more relevant experience.

Brock
05-13-2009, 02:24 PM
So your newest sample, or actual experience of ownership is the 91. You are the guy I want to listen to! Brilliant!

I work with engineering with all of the companies except the Koreans, and the Japanese are the worst, but once again, I am dealing with more relevant experience.

Yeah, I guess that 99 Tahoe, the 02 Camaro, and the 06 GMC I've had for extended periods in recent years for testing purposes were just figments of my imagination. Pieces of shit, every one of them. You're not dealing with more relevant experience, you just think you are. Obviously, critical, unbiased thinking isn't a requirement in whatever business you happen to be in.

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I guess that 99 Tahoe, the 02 Camaro, and the 06 GMC I've had for extended periods in recent years for testing purposes were just figments of my imagination. Pieces of shit, every one of them. You're not dealing with more relevant experience, you just think you are. Obviously, critical, unbiased thinking isn't a requirement in whatever business you happen to be in.

Oh, so now that we are in a corner, we come up with new data. I see, Brock you need to cool down, you aren't thinking clearly.

Do you have any specifics on the problems those "at least in the last decade" vehicles had?

Critical unbiased thinking?

Every car thread I have seen on this board, for the biggest part of 5 years, you keep preaching Honda. You are the Hamas of Honda.

You took exception with my comments in this thread, and I have been in this profession for many years, so I have an educated opinion.

Let me tell you something, Honda and Toyota have problems too. Read others comments, you might learn something.

Brock
05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm done arguing with you about it. You think the rest of the world is wrong, and you're right. You don't understand that the workers aren't the problem, the engineering is not the real problem, and in fact the real problem is that every single american car company allows their quality statement to be defined by accountants. Dollars per pound. It's something you don't want to know, so you don't know it. You are willfully obtuse. You're so incredibly entrenched in your beliefs that the only ammunition you have is throwing the lame "You love Hondas" argument at me over and over again, never mind that your argument is neatly disproven by the fact that I only own one of them, and I bought it used, nearly 2 decades ago, and I desperately want to buy an American product, and have owned several newer GM products in recent years.

Cannibal
05-13-2009, 02:53 PM
What are some good cars that are kind of sporty with 4 doors. And do I get a loan from my bank, or do I try and finance through them? What do I want to look for and what do I want to stay away from with car dealers.

I drive the 2007 Dodge Charger R/T which contain the lifetime powertrain warranty when I purchased it. Don't know how that warranty is going to work out when they finally go bankrupt.

It's a very fun car... 5.7 liter hemi, 340 hp, 390 foot lbs. of torque. It has variable cylinder displacement which turns off 4 cylinders depending on how much power is called for. So it gets decent mileage for a car with that much power.

Cannibal
05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
My wife drives an 02 Monte Carlo. We have had zero problems with it thus far. But it only has 40k miles on it.

Detoxing
05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh, so now that we are in a corner, we come up with new data. I see, Brock you need to cool down, you aren't thinking clearly.

Do you have any specifics on the problems those "at least in the last decade" vehicles had?

Critical unbiased thinking?

Every car thread I have seen on this board, for the biggest part of 5 years, you keep preaching Honda. You are the Hamas of Honda.

You took exception with my comments in this thread, and I have been in this profession for many years, so I have an educated opinion.

Let me tell you something, Honda and Toyota have problems too. Read others comments, you might learn something.

Hemi, this guy will argue this Jap vs american issue till he's blue in the face. He's in every car thread suckin' off Honda. You and I are both in the industry and KNOW whats up. he just reads shit and assumes. I stopped arguing with him about the subject because its pointless.

HemiEd
05-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't blame you for quitting, I would to if I were you.

No, the rest of the world is not wrong, but a hell of a lot of them have opinons based on the media, and influence from people like you. People with two decade old opinions, that are not even relevent to the product offerings of today.

You truly show your ignorance in the Qualtiy statement about accounting, very sad. Hopefully, nobody believes that. Have you ever heard of the Quality standard of TS-16949, or the previous one of QS9000? You might want to google it, maybe you can get that other 2 1/2 cents if you were to comply.

Now if you are talking features, I would agree with you. Accounting does play a significant role trying to cut costs, and remain competitive with foreign subsidised competition. But here is a clue, none are more ruthless than the Asian companies, and they ALL expect annual cost reductions.

Of course, you know all of this, because you are connected with GM engineers buying parts that 2 1/2 cents is the difference.

Detoxing
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM

So what was wrong with the Camaro? How about the Tahoe? the GMC? Im not saying you're lying. Just curious is all.

Cannibal
05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I totally want the new 2010 Camaro SS!!! But still paying on the Charger :)

Brock
05-13-2009, 03:54 PM
So what was wrong with the Camaro? How about the Tahoe? the GMC? Im not saying you're lying. Just curious is all.

The Camaro - Fuel pump failed at 47,000 miles. Was quoted 1200 dollars to replace. Design is that you have to drop the exhaust, pull the rear differential, and drop the tank. A door above the gas tank, which I ended up doing myself, would have cost GM literally nothing, and I had the pump replaced in 2 hours. Squeaky brakes. Interior looked like hell within a year. Both power window motors failed within a year.

The Tahoe - Fuel pump failed at 60,000 miles. Rear door locks stopped working within 2 years. Rear intake manifold gasket leaked, just like every other vortec 350 they ever made. Pitman arm failed within 2 years. 4WD actuator failed. Transmission problems.

The GMC - Power steering pump failed. It started running bad, the dealer couldn't fix it, I gave it back. Had it 6 months.

Detoxing
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
The Camaro - Fuel pump failed at 47,000 miles. Was quoted 1200 dollars to replace. Design is that you have to drop the exhaust, pull the rear differential, and drop the tank. A door above the gas tank, which I ended up doing myself, would have cost GM literally nothing, and I had the pump replaced in 2 hours. Squeaky brakes. Interior looked like hell within a year. Both power window motors failed within a year.

The Tahoe - Fuel pump failed at 60,000 miles. Rear door locks stopped working within 2 years. Rear intake manifold gasket leaked, just like every other vortec 350 they ever made. Pitman arm failed within 2 years. 4WD actuator failed. Transmission problems.

The GMC - Power steering pump failed. It started running bad, the dealer couldn't fix it, I gave it back. Had it 6 months.

You have some baaaaaad luck man. I have an 01 bird, no issues yet, and i've wrecked it TWICE. The last time, i Hydroplaned on the freeway, spun out and ripped the front clip off w/ the center divide. The hwy patrol asked if i could move it to the other side of the freeway. IT started right up like a champ.

I've also owned a 97 Honda Accord. Had to replace the CV Axles twice, the radiator, the undercarriage of the car began rusting and the driver side quarter panel began rusting/bubbling, the factory CD player just stopped working one day.

The point is, all cars can have issues. You act like its exclusive to GM

Silock
05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
The point is, all cars can have issues. You act like its exclusive to GM

It's not exclusive to GM, but they have a much higher number of instances than other companies.

Saul Good
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
What data was he using before? You were the one who kept bringing up the car(s) he currently owns, not him.

He blew your argument out of the water. It was a stupid argument in the first place. Now it's stupid and irrelevant. Were you really trying to imply that someone can't have an opinion on something that they don't own?

JASONSAUTO
05-13-2009, 06:34 PM

i have done this job MANY times, NEVER have dropped the differential and would NEVER recommend cutting a hole in the unibody. the exhaust unbolts right before the diff. you take a couple of braces and the track bar off drop the tank down some and fish that sucker out(just did this a couple of days ago:D)

Cannibal
05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

Wow I've never had that kind of trouble with any new car regardless of make.

Cannibal
05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
It's not exclusive to GM, but they have a much higher number of instances than other companies.

I just haven't seen with our M/C SS. It has a little over 40k miles and the only thing I've had done to it basic maintenance (oil, tire rotation etc.).

damaticous
05-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I drive the 2007 Dodge Charger R/T which contain the lifetime powertrain warranty when I purchased it. Don't know how that warranty is going to work out when they finally go bankrupt.

It's a very fun car... 5.7 liter hemi, 340 hp, 390 foot lbs. of torque. It has variable cylinder displacement which turns off 4 cylinders depending on how much power is called for. So it gets decent mileage for a car with that much power.

I've been looking at those and seriously considering it. unfortunately I've only been able to test drive a couple Charger SXT's. :( I am having a hard time finding a R/T available to test drive.

I grew up Ford and currently own a F150 that I will be keeping. GREAT TRUCK! but I want a car to haul the family around in. So I've been looking at the Fusion. Reviews are really impressive, but I have yet to test drive it and see.

The Fusion will be a lot easier to find and test drive than the Charger. In my town the GM and Dodge dealerships are showing they are struggling. They have 1/2 as many cars in their lots as they used to. The Ford dealership is as full as always, and has a few different Fusion's to test drive.

More than likely my choice will come down to the Charger R/T or the Fusion, but like I said, I'm having a hard time finding a Charger R/T to test drive.

Cannibal
05-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I've been looking at those and seriously considering it. unfortunately I've only been able to test drive a couple Charger SXT's. :( I am having a hard time finding a R/T available to test drive.

I grew up Ford and currently own a F150 that I will be keeping. GREAT TRUCK! but I want a car to haul the family around in. So I've been looking at the Fusion. Reviews are really impressive, but I have yet to test drive it and see.

The Fusion will be a lot easier to find and test drive than the Charger. In my town the GM and Dodge dealerships are showing they are struggling. They have 1/2 as many cars in their lots as they used to. The Ford dealership is as full as always, and has a few different Fusion's to test drive.

More than likely my choice will come down to the Charger R/T or the Fusion, but like I said, I'm having a hard time finding a Charger R/T to test drive.

My only complaint with it thus far is the ride. Very bumpy. The suspension does not give much.

HemiEd
05-14-2009, 11:34 AM
My only complaint with it thus far is the ride. Very bumpy. The suspension does not give much.
The R/T suspension is stiffer for sure. You can go to Chargerforumz.com and they may have some advice for you.
I just checked my favorite dealers inventory, he has a new Black R/T in stock. I don't plan on owning another black car though, they are always dirty.

T-post Tom
05-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Wait a while and she can buy GM's new China import. It's going to be all the rage.

Lzen
05-14-2009, 12:34 PM
The depreciation is only an issue if you plan on selling it within 2-3 years.

Try 4 years.

Lzen
05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
The Chevrolet Malibu was rated the highest in Initial Quality by J.D. Powers and offers a significantly better warranty than any import.

So what?

Initial quality is also about the stupidest category ever. I couldn't care less about initial quality. Tell me about the quality of the vehicle 3, 5, and 10 years down the line, and I'll listen.

Bingo!

Lzen
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I totally want the new 2010 Camaro SS!!! But still paying on the Charger :)

That is a GM I would buy. :D

Lono
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
My first 100 post thread and I got a new car out of it! :)

Inspector
05-14-2009, 01:47 PM
If possible just pay cash. If you finance, it will end up costing a lot more.

burt
05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
My first 100 post thread and I got a new car out of it! :)

I can't pour through this...what did you buy and where?

Cannibal
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
The R/T suspension is stiffer for sure. You can go to Chargerforumz.com and they may have some advice for you.
I just checked my favorite dealers inventory, he has a new Black R/T in stock. I don't plan on owning another black car though, they are always dirty.

Cool, thx for the info.

Silock
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Try 4 years.

Plus, depreciation is a GOOD thing if you're a buyer and the car is reliable.

HemiEd
05-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Cool, thx for the info.

I don't hang out there much, but it is affiliated with Challengerforumz.com, lots of good info.

Do you have 18s or 20s?

Gary
05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Didn't read this whole thread, so I hope you found what you were looking for and at a good deal. I just got a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax a couple of days ago. My previous experience of working at a Cadillac dealership really helped me to work the dealership and get a great deal! It is not as hard these days to buy a car if you go in with the knowledge that car dealers are hurting for business & will "drop their pants" to make a deal if you show them that you are ready, willing, and able to shop elsewhere for a vehicle.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't hang out there much, but it is affiliated with Challengerforumz.com, lots of good info.

Do you have 18s or 20s?

If you're referring to the wheels, they are stock.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I saw the Cadillac CTS price has dropped to 37k at some local lots. Sweet car. But I'd have to see the price drop a bit further before I'd consider buying one.

Lono
05-15-2009, 09:42 AM
I can't pour through this...what did you buy and where?

Got a 2008 grand prix 36,000 miles $10,800. That was $1000 less than i could find anywhere else from columbia, to springfield. I got it from my hometown dealer.

Manila-Chief
05-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I've got a related question:

Is is smarter to trade in your old car or try selling it yourself?

I think under normal times one could get more money for it by buying without the trade in and do the selling yourself? But, under these conditions, I'd be afraid no one would buy?

We've got a 2005 Buick with 74K ... we bought it to drive until we could find/decide what type of vehicle we wanted. We kinda know and might pull the trigger if the "right" deal popped up. But, not sure if we should trade in the Buick and be done with it or try selling it?

Brock
05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
[B][B]We've got a 2005 Buick with 74K ... we bought it to drive until we could find/decide what type of vehicle we wanted. We kinda know and might pull the trigger if the "right" deal popped up. But, not sure if we should trade in the Buick and be done with it or try selling it?

Somebody will buy it. You always take a screwing on trade-in.

Dayze
05-15-2009, 10:47 AM
My wife and I are trading in/trading down very soon. The new job, and 45% income reduction has taken it's toll

I'm looking/considering $7-9k range; Ford Focus. I have a 70mile round trip commut, lieve essentially in the country; 32 yrs old; married....don't need to impress etc.

Anyway had any luck with the Focus?

MahiMike
05-15-2009, 10:54 AM

American, Jap, German - either way, NEVER buy a car NEW!

Manila-Chief
05-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Somebody will buy it. You always take a screwing on trade-in.

Thanks

Frosty
05-15-2009, 11:33 AM
My wife and I are trading in/trading down very soon. The new job, and 45% income reduction has taken it's toll

I'm looking/considering $7-9k range; Ford Focus. I have a 70mile round trip commut, lieve essentially in the country; 32 yrs old; married....don't need to impress etc.

Anyway had any luck with the Focus?

I don't, personally, but everything that I have read about them says that they are a solid, no-frills car. They got a bad rap at first because there were several recalls the first year, but they have been solid ever since.

Fat Elvis
05-15-2009, 12:08 PM
American, Jap, German - either way, NEVER buy a car NEW!

QFT

HemiEd
05-15-2009, 12:13 PM
If you're referring to the wheels, they are stock.
Wheel size, the Charger R/T has 18s stock I believe. I bought a set of new Charger 18" take off wheels for my winter Blizzaks.

If they were 20s, the tire sidewall is very stiff, and creates a harsher ride. The 18s are stiff enough, but I enjoy the ride my R/T gives me. Maybe the Challenger is less agressive than the Charger, but I would be they are the same.

HemiEd
05-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Well with the announcement of 789 dealer closings yesterday, there are going to be some good deals out there.
http://www.allpar.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/list_of_dealerships.pdf
The news today, Chrysler will help the effected dealers relocate those cars, but won't take any back. There is also a strong rumor about them offering some loyalty incentives for previous customer to buy them.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Wheel size, the Charger R/T has 18s stock I believe. I bought a set of new Charger 18" take off wheels for my winter Blizzaks.

If they were 20s, the tire sidewall is very stiff, and creates a harsher ride. The 18s are stiff enough, but I enjoy the ride my R/T gives me. Maybe the Challenger is less agressive than the Charger, but I would be they are the same.

Do you have one of the new Challengers? They are freakin sweet.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 02:33 PM
By the way, the dealer I purchased mine at was on the list of closings. I guess I can take the car to another dealer for work covered under my warranty.

HemiEd
05-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Do you have one of the new Challengers? They are freakin sweet.

Yes I do, thanks! Put my name on the list after seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show with Frazod back in 2006. I wanted the MDS system on the R/T, and got 27.4 on a recent trip.

By the way, the dealer I purchased mine at was on the list of closings. I guess I can take the car to another dealer for work covered under my warranty.

Yes you can, there was a lot of stuff that came out about that today. My favorite servicing dealer is getting cut as well. It sucks, the jackass dealer I couldn't stand, is going to remain.

Chaunceythe3rd
05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Buy a Ford Focus. Not worth a damn but is real cheap. You should get at least 5,000 miles out of it before it starts falling apart.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Yes I do, thanks! Put my name on the list after seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show with Frazod back in 2006. I wanted the MDS system on the R/T, and got 27.4 on a recent trip.

Yes you can, there was a lot of stuff that came out about that today. My favorite servicing dealer is getting cut as well. It sucks, the jackass dealer I couldn't stand, is going to remain.

If I didn't have to replace my HVAC system this year, I was thinking about getting a Ram Air Hood.

https://www.ramairhood.com/images/ram_air_hoods/dodge/charger/Charger%20Burnt%20Orange.jpg

https://www.ramairhood.com/store/ProdImages/charger%20hood%20underside%20II.jpg

HemiEd
05-15-2009, 07:06 PM
I is surprising how many mods they have out there for these cars. They even have a Challenger style hood now for the Chargers, one of my friends got one.
They also have a "Shaker" hood for the Challengers. There seems to be no limit to the mods these guys do.
That other site I gave you, is heavily into these mods. Way more so than I, so far I have only added CAI, catch can, stripes and a couple other small things.
You might find this thread (http://fatchatter.com/forum/index.php?topic=1344.0) interesting. :D

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I is surprising how many mods they have out there for these cars. They even have a Challenger style hood now for the Chargers, one of my friends got one.
They also have a "Shaker" hood for the Challengers. There seems to be no limit to the mods these guys do.
That other site I gave you, is heavily into these mods. Way more so than I, so far I have only added CAI, catch can, stripes and a couple other small things.
You might find this thread (http://fatchatter.com/forum/index.php?topic=1344.0) interesting. :D

Holy Shite. That first Challenger was insane.

HemiEd
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Holy Shite. That first Challenger was insane.

Did you like the flamed one? One of the better flame jobs I have ever seen on any car.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Did you like the flamed one? One of the better flame jobs I have ever seen on any car.

Yeah, I did, much better than the makeshift convertable.

HemiEd
05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I did, much better than the makeshift convertable.

Yeah, that thing was an example of them ruining a car IMO.

There is a company that is making verts out of them now, one of our Challenger members got it done to an 08 SRT8. Over 20k, 6 months and he has had it back to them a few times, and still not happy.