PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink A generic restaurant poll.

Rain Man
05-11-2009, 06:29 PM
It's late at night, and you're driving alone through rural Pennsylvania, still hundreds of miles from your destination at your cousin Summer's wedding in Burlington, Vermont. It's a humid summer night with a full moon, and you have the windows down as you sing along at the top of your lungs to Aerosmith's "Walk This Way".

You realize that you're getting hungry, and you resolve to stop at the next town for some repast (not repost - repast) and sustenance. You're cruising the back roads, though, so you're not going to encounter any big Pennsylvania cities like Philadelphia or College Town or King of Prussia or Mauch Chunk.

Ten minutes later, you cruise into a small Pennsylvania town, so small that the highway you're on turns into Main Street.

There are two restaurants, and only two restaurants in town, and they're next door to each other.

Charlotte McFundy's is obviously a relatively new chain restaurant in a mid-price market niche, with carefully focus-grouped colors and signage, and a promise on their sign of "Good food and good fun". It reminds you a little of the Chili's/TGI Friday's type of restaurant, but you're not familiar with this chain. Inside, you can see a well-lit decor of leatherette booths and faux Tiffany lights and perky, rosy-cheeked teenage servers, both guys and gals.

Diner is next door. Diner doesn't so much have a name, but rather a big, 50s-era sign on it that says "Diner". It's obviously been there for decades and shows some wear, but still looks clean even if it's a little ragged. Inside, you can see a well-lit decor of naugahyde booths and flourescent lights and middle-aged, beehived waitresses.

It's 9:00 on a weeknight, and both restaurants have four or five cars in the parking lot. You can't see any information about menus or prices.

Where do you stop?

Pablo
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Diner because it's probably cheaper than the chain-type and they probably have good hearty food like open-faced roast beef sandwiches instead of Kung-pao oriental chicken wraps.

Pestilence
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Diner. It'd probably have the better food and the lower prices.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Diner. Food over Flair.

DaneMcCloud
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
The Diner.

I'm all about non-chain food restaurants.

Rain Man
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I must admit, I'm a Diner guy to the core. For me, it's not even so much about the food as it is having the experience of being somewhere unique. If I'm on a road trip, I want local restaurants for the most part (other than McDonald's stops if I'm on the Interstate).

Rain Man
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Diner has jumped out to a significant early lead.

Katipan
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Now I'm picking the other option because the Diner is too busy packed with you weirdos and really I just want to get the hell out of this town before I end up on drugs or pregnant.

KCChiefsMan
05-11-2009, 06:38 PM
the diner for sure

Pioli Zombie
05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
It's late at night, and you're driving alone through rural Pennsylvania, still hundreds of miles from your destination at your cousin Summer's wedding in Burlington, Vermont. It's a humid summer night with a full moon, and you have the windows down as you sing along at the top of your lungs to Aerosmith's "Walk This Way".

You realize that you're getting hungry, and you resolve to stop at the next town for some repast (not repost - repast) and sustenance. You're cruising the back roads, though, so you're not going to encounter any big Pennsylvania cities like Philadelphia or College Town or King of Prussia or Mauch Chunk.

Ten minutes later, you cruise into a small Pennsylvania town, so small that the highway you're on turns into Main Street.

There are two restaurants, and only two restaurants in town, and they're next door to each other.

Charlotte McFundy's is obviously a relatively new chain restaurant in a mid-price market niche, with carefully focus-grouped colors and signage, and a promise on their sign of "Good food and good fun". It reminds you a little of the Chili's/TGI Friday's type of restaurant, but you're not familiar with this chain. Inside, you can see a well-lit decor of leatherette booths and faux Tiffany lights and perky, rosy-cheeked teenage servers, both guys and gals.

Diner is next door. Diner doesn't so much have a name, but rather a big, 50s-era sign on it that says "Diner". It's obviously been there for decades and shows some wear, but still looks clean even if it's a little ragged. Inside, you can see a well-lit decor of naugahyde booths and flourescent lights and middle-aged, beehived waitresses.

It's 9:00 on a weeknight, and both restaurants have four or five cars in the parking lot. You can't see any information about menus or prices.

Where do you stop?
Oh good god its not even close. Diners are the balls!!!
Breakfast awesome. Lunch, great sandwiches or meatloaf or whatever. Dinner roasted chicken or roast beef and potatoes. Pie for dessert.

Diner!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
05-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Now I'm picking the other option because the Diner is too busy packed with you weirdos and really I just want to get the hell out of this town before I end up on drugs or pregnant.Yeah, but chances are the chain-type place serves super size margaritas..so you're prolly getting pregnant either way.

CoMoChief
05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Diner food sometimes is the best food on the planet.

The Diner here in Columbia is GREAT late night drunken food.

Rain Man
05-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Okay, we have a runaway. Let me propose a followup question: what characteristics would the Diner or the Chain have to have to make you pick the chain?

This also makes me think that I should start a restaurant chain that looks kind of downscale and local on the outside.

Spott
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
The Diner because Hootie probably works at Charlotte McFundy's and is going to get all pissed off when I use a coupon for a free appetizer.

Buck
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Okay, we have a runaway. Let me propose a followup question: what characteristics would the Diner or the Chain have to have to make you pick the chain?

This also makes me think that I should start a restaurant chain that looks kind of downscale and local on the outside.

A. Have you ever been to Fridays? Or Chilis? Yuck
B. If the Diner is not Roach infested, they probably have pretty good food.

Pestilence
Now I'm picking the other option because the Diner is too busy packed with you weirdos and really I just want to get the hell out of this town before I end up on drugs or pregnant.

Which one would be worse?

I don't carry drugs with me though.

KCChiefsMan
chains focus on nothing but costs and profits. frozen food sent in, heated up with a serious lack of quality and portion size. Good local places make their food from scratch and you can definately tell the difference.

Donger
I refuse to participate in these polls without compensation.

Pablo

This also makes me think that I should start a restaurant chain that looks kind of downscale and local on the outside.If the Chain had some sign advertising $1 margarita night or something to that effect I'd probably stop in. Then just hang out at the bar for the rest of the night drinking until they closed and sleep it off in the car.

Pablo
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
This also makes me think that I should start a restaurant chain that looks kind of downscale and local on the outside.Waffle House sort of did that already, but their food generally sucks for the most part.

ClevelandBronco
05-11-2009, 06:47 PM
The diner. And I'll take a greasy patty melt and a shake, please.

Extra onions. Especially in the shake.

I'm hoping the place smells faintly of cigarette smoke. Not overwhelmingly; just faintly.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
You had me until the singing along at the top of my lungs to Aerosmiths "Walk This Way." I wouldn't do that. I'd skip ahead to "Dream On" or change the station. And my cousins name is Autumn instead of Summer.

Reaper16
05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Anyone that doesn't vote for the diner needs to get their priorities in order.

Buck
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I'll expand upon the Friday's/Chili's remark I made.

I just imagine the inside of every one of those restaurants filled with Guys and Gals in their Late 20's, boozin' away after work. They are all wearing work clothes and they have their collars flipped up, and ties tied around their heads.

Frazod
05-11-2009, 07:02 PM
The diner's kicking ass. :thumb:

JOhn
05-11-2009, 07:08 PM
DIner, as long as it looks clean.

Usually have a lot better food, and made from scratch or close to it. If I want frozen/reheated I'll stop at a fastfood

Jenson71
05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Diner. Give me that chocolate shake, half in the fancy glass, half in the metal can where they mix it.

JASONSAUTO
05-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Diner. Give me that chocolate shake, half in the fancy glass, half in the metal can where they mix it.

oooohhhhhh shit you just gave me chubby's flashbacks, i MAY have to drive to kc this weekend to eat there

LaChapelle
05-11-2009, 07:41 PM
If there was a grocery store open. I'd get a package of shaved meat, loaf of bread some kind of condiment(BBQ sauce, brown mustard, ect.) a jar of bread and butter pickles, a coke and little Debbie something or other. If no grocery store, the Diner.

Dave Lane
05-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Since they are next door I'd probably look at both menus then choose. But I'd give a strong lean to the diner...

the Talking Can
05-11-2009, 07:48 PM
diner...i love local places in small towns, they always have something on the menu that is awesome even if it is just a great greasy burger...

i would never of my own free will eat in an applebees like franchise...heinous food....

the Talking Can
05-11-2009, 07:50 PM

short of drunken bikers having a knife fight in the parking lot, nothing would keep away from the diner....

every small town has one good diner....

JASONSAUTO
05-11-2009, 07:51 PM
short of drunken bikers having a knife fight in the parking lot, nothing would keep away from the diner....every small town has one good diner....

that would keep you away? what if they were fighting over who got to eat first because the food was so good?

luv
05-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Diner. Waitresses will be friendlier, and you will probably get more (and better) food for your money. They probably would even make a stronger pot of coffee for you if you still have driving to do.

DaKCMan AP
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Diner because I might see a Guy Fieri impostor.

stlchiefs
05-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Diner, I'm all about tasting the trying the local dives.

Halfcan
05-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I would suggest Novella's Soup Trolley-Great food and service-lol

RJ
05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I'd definitely pick the diner. Even if the food wasn't so good - news flash: not every diner has good food - the people might be more interesting and there would be some menu options with a local flavor. For instance, maybe in that part of Pennsylvania you could try scrapple at the diner, or if you were having a sandwich they might serve it with Utz chips. That's probably not going to happen at McFundy's. McFundy's would be fine, though, if you're in the mood for a Sizzling Friday Fajita Platter With Cheesy Chipotle Salsa.

RJ
05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I would suggest Novella's Soup Trolley-Great food and service-lol

How's bidness at the Soup Trolley?

Baconeater
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
This scenario sounds a lot like the setting of a movie...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/enUo-1TjdEs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/enUo-1TjdEs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cdcox
05-11-2009, 11:35 PM

If the diner were on fire and out of pie, I might have chosen the chain.

KCCHIEFS27
05-12-2009, 12:54 AM
You did say rural Pennsylvania. I doubt there would be a chain restaurant in a small town, but if there was, I would certainly go inside of that thing. I'm sure those 5 or 6 cars outside of the Diner are all townies. So, unless I had my weapon on me, I would not go inside of the Diner after dark. Besides, if I'm by myself, I'll definitely want to watch a flat screen TV showing some sort of sporting event/highlights and I doubt the Diner would have one. Charlotte McFundy's > Diner. What a generic name...they don't deserve my money.

Count Alex's Wins
05-12-2009, 01:07 AM
The McFundy's probably has a larger menu. I'm more apt to be satisfied.

Count Alex's Wins
05-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Waffle House sort of did that already, but their food generally sucks for the most part.

How dare you.

Crush
05-12-2009, 01:14 AM
How dare you.

He speaks the truth. Waffle House should change its name to Really Greasy Shit.

Count Alex's Wins
05-12-2009, 01:22 AM
He speaks the truth. Waffle House should change its name to Really Greasy Shit.

Generally at waffle house I only order eggs, hash browns, waffles and toast. The hash browns, which could easily be really greasy, are NEVER greasy. And you can get eggs, hash browns, toast, and bacon or sausage for 2.99 most of the time. It's awesome.

Of course the only Waffle House I've been to is in Springfield, MO, so maybe it's different elsewhere.

JuicesFlowing
05-12-2009, 02:25 AM
I drive on and hope for something better at the next town.

acesn8s
05-12-2009, 02:46 AM
1. How in the hell did I end up off the interstate? :eek:

2. Why am I not heading to a hotel at 9:00 at night? :banghead:

3. Am I in Amish country? :hmmm:

4. What small town diner is open at 9:00 at night? :shrug:

5. Which one has a drive thru? :harumph:

trndobrd
05-12-2009, 04:43 AM

I would go to the diner and order a Denver omlette, short stack with blueberries, and onion rings instead of hashbrowns. Know why? Because I can do that at a diner, even at 9pm.

If the Hawaiian Tropic tour bus was parked in front of McFundy's, I would eat at the diner, skip the onion rings, then head over to the chain place for a drink after dinner.

Hoover
05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Rain Man this one is simple. I look and see where all the cars are parked and go to that one.

TrebMaxx
05-12-2009, 08:48 AM
The Diner hands down. Order myself the fried pork cutlets, mashed potatoes and green beans. I despise the TGI Fridays/Chilli's type of restaurants.

Count Alex's Wins
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Here's another reason to choose the TGI Fuckdays: more likely to have healthier options on the menu.

Simply Red
05-12-2009, 09:05 AM
They gots White Castle?

Buehler445
05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I picked the chain because it would be quicker. In honesty I'd probably find a gas station with a wendys in it or something and make the stop as quick as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device