PDA

View Full Version : Video Games LOL @ Gamestop

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 08:43 AM
My old COD 4 disc got fucked up and won't play. So, I've been waiting for several months.....like about a month after COD 5 came out.......to buy a used copy of COD 4. The price has been horribly high - $45 for used when I could pay $50-$60 for it brand new.

So, I waited.....and waited.....and waited for the price to come down on the used ones. Walked into Gamestop last night to get something for my son, just thought I would look at the COD 4 and see.....nope, still $45 for a used copy - nearly 2 years after it has been out mind you.

Checking out the other 360 games, I come across a brand new, COD 4 Game of the Year edition for.....$39. I laughed a little bit, and turned to the two guys running the place - "Why can I buy a used one for $45, but I can buy a new one here for $40?"

Their response: "The used price just hasn't come down yet."

ROFL

Buck
05-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Thats ridiculous.

Although, I wouldn't blame the front counter guys...

L.A. Chieffan
05-12-2009, 09:39 AM
you're not dealing with morons here...

htismaqe
05-12-2009, 09:50 AM
I doubt the guys in the store have any control over it.

Demonpenz
05-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Probably waiting to have some promotion involving the used games and they don't want to be out of old games once the promotion comes out (probably memorial day blowout)

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I doubt the guys in the store have any control over it.

Oh, I'm sure they don't. Corporate more than likely sets all the prices, which is why he said the used price hasn't come down.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Probably waiting to have some promotion involving the used games and they don't want to be out of old games once the promotion comes out (probably memorial day blowout)

I've honestly talked to about 4 different game stores about why the price is still so high and the short version is.....the price will come down when people stop buying the game.

Pants
05-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Just tells you about the popularity of the game. It's still my #1 on 360 followed by Mass Effect at #2.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Just tells you about the popularity of the game. It's still my #1 on 360 followed by Mass Effect at #2.

I know......and it's why I want to get it again. I should have just bought the damn thing last night. They did tell me that the price probably won't come down until about month before MW2 comes out.

Buck
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I know......and it's why I want to get it again. I should have just bought the damn thing last night. They did tell me that the price probably won't come down until about month before MW2 comes out.

Best Buy has it on sale this week at $39.99

They are also advertising a pre order for Modern Warfare 2 (November?)

If you preorder ($5 deposit) you save $10 on any game priced $39.99 and up.

Therefore you get COD4 for $34.99 out the door, brand new.

CoMoChief
05-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I CAN NOT wait for COD4 II to come out. OMG.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 11:29 AM

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cvha8Dz_G_E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cvha8Dz_G_E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Pestilence
05-12-2009, 11:31 AM
I have a copy of Call of Duty 4.......I think. I don't play it anymore.....I'll sell it to you.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I have a copy of Call of Duty 4.......I think. I don't play it anymore.....I'll sell it to you.

$2.50 plus you pay shipping?

Pestilence
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
$30.00 plus I pay shipping?

FYP

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
FYP

I can get it for that price here. How about you just give it to me and we call it even?

Pestilence
05-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah but you're helping out the Economy the right way!

Don't buy into Gamestop.....support my drinking habit!

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 12:14 PM
But you're mom still owes me for the last month of hanging out with you.

Reaper16
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm glad that they're titling it "Modern Warfare II," because "Call of Duty 4 II" has an ugly look and sound to it.

Gravedigger
05-12-2009, 12:23 PM
My old COD 4 disc got ****ed up and won't play. So, I've been waiting for several months.....like about a month after COD 5 came out.......to buy a used copy of COD 4. The price has been horribly high - $45 for used when I could pay $50-$60 for it brand new.

So, I waited.....and waited.....and waited for the price to come down on the used ones. Walked into Gamestop last night to get something for my son, just thought I would look at the COD 4 and see.....nope, still $45 for a used copy - nearly 2 years after it has been out mind you.

Checking out the other 360 games, I come across a brand new, COD 4 Game of the Year edition for.....$39. I laughed a little bit, and turned to the two guys running the place - "Why can I buy a used one for $45, but I can buy a new one here for $40?"

Their response: "The used price just hasn't come down yet."

ROFL

That is what happens when people who don't know alot about what they sell run a company. If the big boys at Gamestop were gamers that cared instead of bureaucrats that spent money you'd see differences.

Pestilence
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
But you're mom still owes me for the last month of hanging out with you.

Take that up with her.......

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Take that up with her.......

I have.....twice. But it's still not enough.

:D

Pestilence
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I have.....twice. But it's still not enough.

:D

That's your deal then. It has no bearing on me how much she is worth.

Saulbadguy
05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
The Game of the Year edition is different than the regular edition.

The first edition of a game is generally worth more than the "greatest hits" or GOTY edition.

I don't see the big deal.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 12:42 PM

The first edition of a game is generally worth more than the "greatest hits" or GOTY edition.

So, you're saying they are different games?

Buck
05-12-2009, 12:48 PM

So, you're saying they are different games?

No they are the same game, you actually get more w/ the GOTY addition, but I see what he is saying. Its more of a collectors item, per se.

By the way, a lot of people like myself don't even look at the new games when I go into Gamestop because I already know what the price is going to be. I'm sure there are still suckers buying the used copy for $5 more.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
No they are the same game, you actually get more w/ the GOTY addition, but I see what he is saying. Its more of a collectors item, per se.

Ok. That's what I thought. I thought with the GOTY you got all the new content as well.

Saulbadguy
05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Yep - strictly a collectors item deal, however, they are basing the used price off the new price of that particular SKU. I bet if they had a used copy of the GOTY edition it would be cheaper.

Guru
05-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Just tells you about the popularity of the game. It's still my #1 on 360 followed by Mass Effect at #2.That would make sense if Mass Effect wasn't priced at $19 right now.

DJJasonp
05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
You touched a nerve with me....... I've been in a gamestop a few times the past month.... PS3 games (USED!!) are generally 5 bucks less than what the prices are brand new at Target, Best Buy, etc...

Why the hell would I pay 5 bucks less for a scratched-up copy, when I can pay 5 more and have brand new..?

Not to mention 60 dollar games that they'll offer you 8 dollars in trade for....

It's quite a racket.....like pawning.

Guru
05-12-2009, 05:31 PM
You touched a nerve with me....... I've been in a gamestop a few times the past month.... PS3 games (USED!!) are generally 5 bucks less than what the prices are brand new at Target, Best Buy, etc...

Why the hell would I pay 5 bucks less for a scratched-up copy, when I can pay 5 more and have brand new..?

Not to mention 60 dollar games that they'll offer you 8 dollars in trade for....

It's quite a racket.....like pawning.I've had this conversation with a couple different used stores here in Topeka. $10 less would be more reasonable. It cracks me up that they think $5 is a deal.

In Gamestops defense, they do give you a 7 day no questions asked refund on all used games. Good if you are not sure if you will like something or not.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
In Gamestops defense, they do give you a 7 day no questions asked refund on all used games. Good if you are not sure if you will like something or not.

I learned about that last night. Said if we didn't like the game we bought, bring it back.

Buck
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I've had this conversation with a couple different used stores here in Topeka. $10 less would be more reasonable. It cracks me up that they think $5 is a deal.

Yeah, but If the used game is $55, and you are a member of the Game Zone, or whatever that card is called ($15 for 1 year and you get a year of Game Informer Magazine) you get an extra 10% off used games, 20% sometimes if there is a promo.

So you get a $55 used game for $49.50, which is $10 off. If you use this perk 3 times in one year its worth it.

Not to mention you get 10% extra trade in credit, or during certain promos you get 20%-30%, or an extra $10 credit for every 2 games you turn in.

I would say having the card saved me in total about $90 last year. Worth it, IMO.

Pants
05-12-2009, 05:46 PM
That would make sense if Mass Effect wasn't priced at $19 right now.

Did I say ME was as popular as COD4? No... I just said it was MY 2nd favorite game.

Guru
05-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Did I say ME was as popular as COD4? No... I just said it was MY 2nd favorite game.Sorry. Misunderstood ya there. I thought you were saying ME was the second most popular game or something like that. I've never played it so I know nothing about it other than its cheap price.

Guru
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, but If the used game is $55, and you are a member of the Game Zone, or whatever that card is called ($15 for 1 year and you get a year of Game Informer Magazine) you get an extra 10% off used games, 20% sometimes if there is a promo.

So you get a $55 used game for $49.50, which is $10 off. If you use this perk 3 times in one year its worth it.

Not to mention you get 10% extra trade in credit, or during certain promos you get 20%-30%, or an extra $10 credit for every 2 games you turn in.

I would say having the card saved me in total about $90 last year. Worth it, IMO.yeah, I don't go into GS that often so I never took advantage of that until recently. hadn't figured out the numbers for it. That makes more sense if you purchase regularly though.

88TG88
05-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I never get tired of pwning n00bs on my super cool ps3.

Mr. Plow
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

You watching some pretty cool flix with the n00bs? :D

Saulbadguy
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
IMO gamefly is the way to go, try the game out with your rental plan, and if you like it, "keep it" and they will ship you the case and manual for a reasonable price, about the same price as Gamestop generally but sometimes cheaper.

Honestly, you have to wait for deals to get good prices on used games - which they run quite often. You generally won't get the more popular ones though.

Kyle DeLexus
05-12-2009, 11:32 PM

I was 8-0 on NBA 2k8 and would generally refer to it as pwning n00bs to my friends. Had about 20 games where I was kicking ass so bad they just quit and I didn't get credit for it. Then I played a game about a week ago after not playing for almost a year and the dude kicked my ass. Beat my by like 25. Turns out he was ranked 4th overall in 2k8. Found out I'm still a n00b to some people.

Thig Lyfe
05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
In December, Target was still selling Madden 09 for the 360 at $60. They were also selling the Madden 09 special anniversary edition at half price. Bought that for $40. It was hilarious.

Von Dumbass
05-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Why isn't COD 4 19.99 yet? I have been waiting for at least a year to buy that game:cuss:

KCChiefsMan
05-13-2009, 01:46 AM
In December, Target was still selling Madden 09 for the 360 at $60. They were also selling the Madden 09 special anniversary edition at half price. Bought that for $40. It was hilarious.

I bought Madden 09 for $7 from a friend and I felt ripped off

Kyle DeLexus
05-13-2009, 02:38 AM
I bought Madden 09 for $7 from a friend and I felt ripped off

Why? It might not be the best, but it's fun to play friends from high school online.

Gravedigger
05-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Yeah a little over a month ago I traded in some stuff and the guy who was on the other register decided to but in after I said no to their Edge program. The conversation went roughly as so:

"Are you sure, its an extra $15 saved today, then you just have to pay for the membership for $10."

"Nah I don't see the point in paying $10 to get that, I'd rather get more credit for next go around. Thanks though."

"But you'll get more credit for your trade ins."

"So for this trade in I'll get more credit if I sign up for your service?"

"No, for your next trade in."

"OK, then no, I don't trade in alot I just had things lying around and wanted Resident Evil 5."

"But you'll be saving money in the long run."

"It's not money, its credit for used games."

"That's better than money!"

"Are you ****ing kidding me?"

He continued on to mumble while his coworker just wanted to avoid the embarrassment and finish the sale. But he was a damn idiot that would'nt take no for an answer. As a manager in the food industry I can tell you that the lower paid worker bee's will always suck up to the manager if they're standing right next to them, trying to get that extra add on sale, in this case the manager sat there and heard all this persistence and uncomfortable conversation and didn't do a damn thing to just tell him to cool it. As a customer I found myself just wanting to say STFU I said no, and the job part of me wanted to say.... STFU I said no. Not that this story has anything to do with the original post, just a funny thing that happened to me.

Guru
05-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Last time I went in they were just in SHOCK that I wasn't interested in pre-ordering the new Batman game. Just in SHOCK. They had to know why.

Told them I wait for the price to drop first. Even if it takes a year.

Kyle DeLexus
05-13-2009, 04:37 AM
Yeah a little over a month ago I traded in some stuff and the guy who was on the other register decided to but in after I said no to their Edge program. The conversation went roughly as so:

"Are you sure, its an extra $15 saved today, then you just have to pay for the membership for $10."

"Nah I don't see the point in paying $10 to get that, I'd rather get more credit for next go around. Thanks though."

"But you'll get more credit for your trade ins."

"So for this trade in I'll get more credit if I sign up for your service?"

"No, for your next trade in."

"OK, then no, I don't trade in alot I just had things lying around and wanted Resident Evil 5."

"But you'll be saving money in the long run."

"It's not money, its credit for used games."

"That's better than money!"

"Are you ****ing kidding me?"

He continued on to mumble while his coworker just wanted to avoid the embarrassment and finish the sale. But he was a damn idiot that would'nt take no for an answer. As a manager in the food industry I can tell you that the lower paid worker bee's will always suck up to the manager if they're standing right next to them, trying to get that extra add on sale, in this case the manager sat there and heard all this persistence and uncomfortable conversation and didn't do a damn thing to just tell him to cool it. As a customer I found myself just wanting to say STFU I said no, and the job part of me wanted to say.... STFU I said no. Not that this story has anything to do with the original post, just a funny thing that happened to me.

A company is only as good as it's lowest ranked employee. Imagine if he didn't keep trying? What good is upselling if you don't keep trying to get the sell?

On the other hand same thing happened to me at Lids when I got my new Royals hat. They were like it'll save you money. I asked on this hat? He said no your next one. I then said I just got this hat why would I need another? Both employees laughed and said thats what they all say you'll be back in a month or so. I said even if I do want another hat you don't sell Devils hats so I can guarentee you won't see me in here again until I need a new Royals hat. Then one of them walked away saying we sell Devils hats online.

Guru
05-13-2009, 04:49 AM
A company is only as good as it's lowest ranked employee. Imagine if he didn't keep trying? What good is upselling if you don't keep trying to get the sell?

On the other hand same thing happened to me at Lids when I got my new Royals hat. They were like it'll save you money. I asked on this hat? He said no your next one. I then said I just got this hat why would I need another? Both employees laughed and said thats what they all say you'll be back in a month or so. I said even if I do want another hat you don't sell Devils hats so I can guarentee you won't see me in here again until I need a new Royals hat. Then one of them walked away saying we sell Devils hats online.I kind of regretted getting the Edge deal at GS but my son really enjoys the GameInformer mags so I guess it is worth it in the long run. Just have to make sure to do my game shopping at GS for the next year.

Kyle DeLexus
05-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I kind of regretted getting the Edge deal at GS but my son really enjoys the GameInformer mags so I guess it is worth it in the long run. Just have to make sure to do my game shopping at GS for the next year.

I'm too much of an impulse buyer to do that. I'll go to best buy to look speakers or a computer and end up leaving with a game.

Saulbadguy
05-13-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't even know why I bother with Gamestop half the time, save that I have a couple friends that work there.

Anytime I go in there to pick up a pre-order or buy a game, I wait inline behind some dipshit trading in their Gamecube or what not, and that takes forever. That is just an annoyance, but what pisses me off is they won't open another register to help me, even when there is 2 people there. The 2nd employee is always either playing a game on the demo console, or arranging games, or cleaning or something.

The other is I have pre-ordered a game before and they ran out. I could have just canceled the pre-order but it was a special edition of the game that came with extra shit that I wanted, and wasn't on sale anywhere else. Had to wait a week to get it.

Finally, just a small annoyance, but I LOL at the way they do the "new" games. Why don't they just keep the sealed games in the back? They insist on putting all the CD's in sleeves and then putting them in the case for you.

Mr. Plow
05-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Why isn't COD 4 19.99 yet? I have been waiting for at least a year to buy that game:cuss:

You're gonna be waiting awhile. Probably not until AFTER Modern Warfare 2 is out.

Ceej
05-13-2009, 08:36 AM
LOL @ Plow's gaming "skills."

Mr. Plow
05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
LOL @ Plow's gaming "skills."

Stalker.

Saulbadguy
05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Truthfully, being "good" at CoD4 on a console is akin to winning the special olympics...

Mr. Plow
05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Truthfully, being "good" at CoD4 on a console is akin to winning the special olympics...

ROFL

Sure it is.

Ceej
05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
The best FPS shooter I've played - which I absolutely fell in love with was on PC.

<3 Counterstrike.

Saulbadguy
05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
ROFL

Sure it is.

I seriously wish for the day when they integrate keyboard/mouse support on console FPS's, and allow them to play with dual-analog LOL'ness on the same server without limitations...it will never happen though.

Guru
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't even know why I bother with Gamestop half the time, save that I have a couple friends that work there.

Anytime I go in there to pick up a pre-order or buy a game, I wait inline behind some dipshit trading in their Gamecube or what not, and that takes forever. That is just an annoyance, but what pisses me off is they won't open another register to help me, even when there is 2 people there. The 2nd employee is always either playing a game on the demo console, or arranging games, or cleaning or something.

The other is I have pre-ordered a game before and they ran out. I could have just canceled the pre-order but it was a special edition of the game that came with extra shit that I wanted, and wasn't on sale anywhere else. Had to wait a week to get it.

Finally, just a small annoyance, but I LOL at the way they do the "new" games. Why don't they just keep the sealed games in the back? They insist on putting all the CD's in sleeves and then putting them in the case for you.The one in the mall is getting better about that. the last two games I purchased as new were still shrinkwrapped. I don't know about the free standing one though.

Buck
05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
The one in the mall is getting better about that. the last two games I purchased as new were still shrinkwrapped. I don't know about the free standing one though.

Only one time did I ever have a new game that wasn't sealed, it was NCAA Football 2009, and only because I didn't pre order it and they had to give me the display case.