PDA

View Full Version : Life Float trip locations?

Zeke
05-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Having lived down in Alabama for about 5 years, before moving back here to KC, I got to participate in multiple float trips down rivers. Are there any good locations that are somewhat close the KC area for these? Ones where you can take containers with you, of course. Possibly ones where you can take children as well.

Zeke
05-13-2009, 06:49 AM
BTW, I'm so proud I can finally start my own thread.... been wanting to ask this one for awhile. :)

Redrum_69
05-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Current River...

Get more information from www.silverarrowcanoe.com

Dartgod
05-13-2009, 06:52 AM
The Niangua is the closest, but I haven't floated it in years. We usually float the Elk every year and its not too far away. The last two years we have floated the North Fork and although it is a considerable drive (approx 5 hours from KC), it is great float.

Here's a couple of sites that have more info about Missouri rivers and floats.

http://www.missouricanoe.org/index.html

http://southwestpaddler.com/indexMO.html

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2009, 06:54 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k6Qpln2Ucz4/SH6mwY-HcmI/AAAAAAAABEA/CQkhRYohKE8/s400/root+beer+float.jpg

Katipan
05-13-2009, 07:02 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k6Qpln2Ucz4/SH6mwY-HcmI/AAAAAAAABEA/CQkhRYohKE8/s400/root+beer+float.jpg

That looks awesome.

58-4ever
05-13-2009, 07:11 AM
The Illinois River in Talequah, OK. It is an absolute blast!

tooge
05-13-2009, 07:13 AM
current river and north fork of the white river are both fantastic. Both are about 5 hours away. Closer would be elk river (3hours) but it isn't quite as cool

dirk digler
05-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Depends on what kind of float do you want? Relaxing float or a little more faster pace?

For relaxing float go to the Niangua as it is pretty slow but go to the Jack's Fork\Current River for faster pace.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Having floated the Elk, Niangua, Current, and North Fork, the ELK and Niangua are not spring fed and are subject to rainfall. The years we went, even with decent rainfall we had areas we had to drag our raft, and areas with ZERO current.

The Current and NF are both spring fed and are about 58 degrees, which feels great on a summer day.

Katipan
05-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Having floated the Elk, Niangua, Current, and North Fork, the ELK and Niangua are not spring fed and are subject to rainfall. The years we went, even with decent rainfall we had areas we had to drag our raft, and areas with ZERO current.

The Current and NF are both spring fed and are about 58 degrees, which feels great on a summer day.

Water levels aren't lacking this year are they??

dirk digler
05-13-2009, 07:24 AM

I thought the Niangua was spring fed since Bennett Springs feeds it?

http://www.mostateparks.com/bennett.htm

tooge
05-13-2009, 07:25 AM
heh, me and my son on the current last summer. His first float. We caught trout and smallmouth bass and had a blast.

penguinz
05-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Having lived down in Alabama for about 5 years, before moving back here to KC, I got to participate in multiple float trips down rivers. Are there any good locations that are somewhat close the KC area for these? Ones where you can take containers with you, of course. Possibly ones where you can take children as well.You can take containers on all the rivers in Missouri. The only restrictions are the ones in the National Scenic Riverways you are not supposed to take glass containers.

cdcox
05-13-2009, 07:37 AM
The Current is more fun than the Niangua. On the Niangua, there are going to be long stretches where you are doing a lot of paddling -- almost no current at all. If you are taking young children or inexperienced paddlers, I 'd go on the Niangua for a first trip. Overall, the Current is an easy river, but there are a few places where an inexperienced paddler is going to get wet, possibly in deep fast moving water. I've known people who were trapped under water for several seconds (very scary) and I've seen aluminum canoes bent into pretzels on that river. Early in the year (May/June) this will be more of a problem than the late Summer.

MOhillbilly
05-13-2009, 07:39 AM
How do you take a wrong turn on a river?

Katipan
05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
How do you take a wrong turn on a river?

*cue music from deliverance*

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2009, 07:53 AM
That looks awesome.

Like me. That's why I posted it. Duh. ;)

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2009, 07:54 AM
We caught trout

Just so long as you didn't drop any.

kc rush
05-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Niangua and Current are the two I've done the most. I prefer the Current.

Zeke
05-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Depends on what kind of float do you want? Relaxing float or a little more faster pace?

For relaxing float go to the Niangua as it is pretty slow but go to the Jack's Fork\Current River for faster pace.

I like to relax. Let me belly soak the sun.

Zeke
05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
You can take containers on all the rivers in Missouri. The only restrictions are the ones in the National Scenic Riverways you are not supposed to take glass containers.

Awesome, I wasn't sure. In the county we did the floats in 'Bama we always had someone check our coolers before we were allowed to put in. Making sure we didn't have glass.

stumppy
05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
If you can, drive the extra miles and float the Buffalo. During spring you'll see class 3 and 4 water in the upper Buffalo.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Water levels aren't lacking this year are they??

You'd be surprised. Several years ago we went one summer when we had had a lot of rain, and they were still pretty low. All depends on the watershed.

MOhillbilly
05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
If you can, drive the extra miles and float the Buffalo. During spring you'll see class 3 and 4 water in the upper Buffalo.

you ever fish the 'lynn?' branch north of you? theres an old bridge on your right going north. i always see people fishin there...

Demonpenz
05-13-2009, 08:20 AM
my family and i float the missouri river during the summer. It's not far at all

mikeyis4dcats.
05-13-2009, 08:20 AM
I thought the Niangua was spring fed since Bennett Springs feeds it?

http://www.mostateparks.com/bennett.htm

It may be at some point, but most of it is brown, murky and much of it stagnant. No where near the clean clear waters of the Current or NF.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-13-2009, 08:21 AM

Can you tell me more about this? We are currently planning a float trip for late July and would consider this...

Any good recommendations on places to stay and get outfitted?

Pablo
05-13-2009, 08:39 AM
The Current River and Jacks Fork Rivers are both great floats. Absolutely delightful.

DO NOT STAY IN EMINENCE, MO. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. STAY AWAY. AND STAY AWAY FROM ANY CAMPGROUND/CANOE CO. OWNED BY MAGGARDS.

Dartgod
05-13-2009, 08:47 AM

Can you tell me more about this? We are currently planning a float trip for late July and would consider this...

No alcohol stronger than 3.2 beer is allowed on this river.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-13-2009, 08:48 AM

do they really check?

Fish
05-13-2009, 08:50 AM

I'm hitting the Buffalo next month. Evidently we're going to get into some rough stuff. Any recommendations? Thanks...

DJ's left nut
05-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I am a big fan of the Eleven Point River, but it's a bit further away than the rest (near Arkansas ) It's spring fed, very little slower parts (though a few) and it has some very good sand bars and exploration points. We found a couple of caves out there (a friend of my dads got drilled in the chest by a fleeing bat) and Bose Mill is a very strong cold water spring at the end of the river that has a rope swing and jumping tree along side it. The spring is so strong that you can dive directly down from about 15/20 feet the spring will stop you well before you get to the bottom.

EDIT: Damn, the sycamore tree fell. Here's a video of the mill but it doesn't look like you can do the flying leap into it anymore. That sucks hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNrkFr-ZZA

Current's my 2nd favorite.

topher79
05-13-2009, 08:52 AM

http://www.arrowhead-thunderbird.com/

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2009, 08:53 AM

They make that?

Dartgod
05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
do they really check?
I don't know. I was interested in floating this river because someone had mentioned it to me before. I was looking for some campgrounds/outfitters and noticed this on several sites.

Fish
05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
do they really check?

Yes. We had it happen on the Niagua....

whatsmynameagain
05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
we did the current last year, my first time floating. had a blast but was so drunk at the end we just kept flipping the canoe over and over again. reminds me of a good joke, whats the difference between a jew and a canoe.......a canoe tips!
Posted via Mobile Device

whatsmynameagain
05-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Yes. We had it happen on the Niagua....

they alledgedly have undercovers in the woods watching for violations...cursing, dope, drunken idiots, and glass/hard alcohol
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
we did the current last year, my first time floating. had a blast but was so drunk at the end we just kept flipping the canoe over and over again. reminds me of a good joke, whats the difference between a jew and a canoe.......a canoe tips!
Posted via Mobile Device

classy.

Jilly
05-13-2009, 09:33 AM
That looks awesome.

right? Geez, it's 10:30am...... it's gonna be a long day.

Dartgod
05-13-2009, 09:33 AM
they alledgedly have undercovers in the woods watching for violations...cursing, dope, drunken idiots, and glass/hard alcohol
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep. They're out in force on the weekends. We had a uniformed officer come up to us once and asked if we'd seen anyone smoking dope. One of the guys in our group said to him, "Nope. You got some?" I about fell out of my canoe.

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock:

Jilly
05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
We also canoed the Gasconade River and stayed at the Gasconade Hill Resort. They have cabins and also places to camp, as well as a pool, and store, etc. They do it all for you basically except cook your food, you know and pitch your tent....(I'm guessing most of you are good at doing that yourself....hey o), anyhow, I always have loved it there. It's not well known, not well canoed, not very challenging, except in some parts. If the water is high, you rarely have to walk your canoe.....and it's good fishing. I think they even have a playground. Anyhow, I would recommend it.

Fish
05-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

That too. You can see the sneaky bastards in tree stands with binocs sometimes. They were pretty bad about it last time I was there. They had several motor boats running up and down the river trying to catch people too. And they caught several. We had docked with a group for a while on a sandbar, and when they left, they cops nailed them for several different offenses.

Pablo
05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
We also canoed the Gasconade River and stayed at the Gasconade Hill Resort. They have cabins and also places to camp, as well as a pool, and store, etc. They do it all for you basically except cook your food, you know and pitch your tent....(I'm guessing most of you are good at doing that yourself....hey o), anyhow, I always have loved it there. It's not well known, not well canoed, not very challenging, except in some parts. If the water is high, you rarely have to walk your canoe.....and it's good fishing. I think they even have a playground. Anyhow, I would recommend it.I floated the Gasconade, and it would be enjoyable if you liked really slow water and fishing. It would be a good river to get trashed on and not ever worry about flipping your canoe, or if you have younger children.

Pablo
05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
That too. You can see the sneaky bastards in tree stands with binocs sometimes. They were pretty bad about it last time I was there. They had several motor boats running up and down the river trying to catch people too. And they caught several. We had docked with a group for a while on a sandbar, and when they left, they cops nailed them for several different offenses.Yep..sometimes you'll catch a glare in the tree-line, and it'll be a conservation agent with a pair of binoculars or you'll see a police truck parked behind a brush pile.

Fish
05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Yep..sometimes you'll catch a glare in the tree-line, and it'll be a conservation agent with a pair of binoculars or you'll see a police truck parked behind a brush pile.

They group that got nailed was rather amusing too. There were 4 of them, a hottie cougar who had to be 40, and 3 guys around 19-20. She got busted for contributing, they found pot, not enough life jackets in the boat, etc.

Pablo
05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
They group that got nailed was rather amusing too. There were 4 of them, a hottie cougar who had to be 40, and 3 guys around 19-20. She got busted for contributing, they found pot, not enough life jackets in the boat, etc.Yeah..I'm sure they were a bunch of pricks.

Can you get in trouble in MO if you have hard liquor on the river, but it's in those little plastic bottles?

Fish
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah..I'm sure they were a bunch of pricks.

Can you get in trouble in MO if you have hard liquor on the river, but it's in those little plastic bottles?

Absolutely. No hard liquor at all. We got nabbed with that one back at the camp site before we knew that was a rule. They poured out an entire bottle of Tullamore Dew we had sitting on the picnic table. It was painful.

Great Expectations
05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah..I'm sure they were a bunch of pricks.

Not in MacCounty (Elk/Big Sugar)

CoMoChief
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Niangua, Mirimac are a couple close to Mid MO. I float the Niangua yearly. Last year they almost didn't let us on it because the river was too high and rediculously fast because it rained there non stop for a couple days. We floated it anyway. Great drunken times.

shitgoose
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I've floated the Elk, Buffalo, and Mulberry. All three are a blast although the Elk usually requires more paddling or you have to get out of the raft and pull it across the rocks if the river is down. We usually go around memorial day weekend so the water is generally up.

Don't forget your sunscreen and to pick up one of the beer koozie's with the strap that goes around your neck.

And if you come across any dead armadillos floating in the water don't pick it up by the tail and throw it into somebody else's boat or you will end up fighting about 12 asian guys.

Dartgod
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I can't find any state-wide regulations. Some rivers limit the size of coolers and ban beer bongs and Jello shots. I think you have to check the local laws.

Dartgod
05-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Here you go...

Continuing into the 2009 season the plan to bring a balance to the use patterns on the riverways will continue. The plan will include the following rules and regulations that will be enforced by the law enforcement rangers as promulgated in the Superintendent’s Compendium.

<!-- -->- <!-- [endif] -->Enforcement of no illegal drugs, public intoxication, minors in possession of alcohol and disorderly conduct regulations.
<!-- [if !supportLists] -->- <!-- [endif] -->All sizes of beer kegs, and all types of “beer bongs” or other volume drinking devices within the park boundary are prohibited. This will also include “Jell-O shots” or similar containers in which gelatin and alcohol are mixed.
<!-- [if !supportLists] -->- <!-- [endif] -->Excessively loud stereo systems that intrude on the areas enjoyment by family oriented groups will not be allowed. The rangers will be using audio decibel readers to enforce National Park Service regulations on noise. The use of air horns and other excessive noise producing devices will also not be allowed.
<!-- [if !supportLists] -->- <!-- [endif] -->Glass containers will not be allowed on the rivers within the park boundary and there will be active enforcement against the use of dry ice bombs.
<!-- [if !supportLists] -->- <!-- [endif] -->All forms of polystyrene foods and beverage coolers often marketed under the name “Styrofoam” will not be allowed. These containers often end up in the rivers as unsightly trash that can also be dangerous to the aquatic life in the river. This does not include bait buckets.
- Jumping from cliffs and bluffs, and the use of rope swings are prohibited.Cliff jumping is a serious safety issue which also impacts fragilevegetation growing in thin soils on the cliffs.

Alcohol in moderation [I]is not banned in the park. Rangers will be making a concerted effort this season to welcome visitors to the riverways and provide education and information about park regulations that will help our visitors to understand the importance of the resources. They will also be asking people to help us make this a safe and fun place for all to enjoy.

http://www.nps.gov/ozar/parkmgmt/rowdiness.htm

whatsmynameagain
05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Here you go...

Boooooooooo!
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler
05-13-2009, 10:39 AM
The Current River and Jacks Fork Rivers are both great floats. Absolutely delightful.

DO NOT STAY IN EMINENCE, MO. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. STAY AWAY. AND STAY AWAY FROM ANY CAMPGROUND/CANOE CO. OWNED BY MAGGARDS.

If were aren't camping we always stay in Eminence. It is not that bad.

penguinz
05-13-2009, 10:59 AM

DO NOT STAY IN EMINENCE, MO. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. STAY AWAY. AND STAY AWAY FROM ANY CAMPGROUND/CANOE CO. OWNED BY MAGGARDS.Campground? I always camp on the river when I go.