PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs For those few who chose not to believe it, Tony G wanted out

LaChapelle
05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
-this should settle that issue, though somehow I doubt it. It will still be brought up.

Gonzalez Got Out By Not Trying To Force His Way Out
Posted by Mike Florio on May 14, 2009, 11:56 a.m. EDT

The recent experience of former Chiefs and current Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez provides a valuable lesson to other veteran players who are hoping to land with a new team.

If you want out, don’t try to force your way out.

Gonzalez took the high road (eventually), keeping quiet about his frustrations and discreetly working with the organization to make a move that worked for everyone.

“I said, ‘Look, I’m on board. If you guys want me here, I’m going to play ball for you.’” Gonzalez recently told 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City (via NFL.com, via FanHouse). “But, having said that, I also said, ‘Look, if you guys want to trade me, go ahead and do it. I’m on board with that too.’”

It was a very different outcome from last year, when Gonzalez was vocal regarding his desire to leave.

“It was incredibly, incredibly frustrating,” Gonzalez said. “Obviously, last year, when I did ask for a trade, that was on my mind. It’s not that I didn’t believe in the team and believe in the direction it was going. It was just how quickly were we going to get there? That’s frustrating when you’re on a team with a bunch of young guys and you’re not winning.”

Last year, however, the Chiefs didn’t trade Gonzalez because former G.M. Carl Peterson didn’t like the magnitude of the offer the team received. And Peterson likely didn’t like the magnitude of the offer because it was lower than it maybe would have been due to Gonzalez’s efforts to lobby for a trade.

This time around, by expressing a willingness to remain with the team, the Chiefs were able to get what they wanted — and in turn Gonzalez got what he wanted.

“I wanted to be able to finish my career on a high note,” Gonzalez said. “With the Chiefs, I’m not saying we couldn’t get there and they’re not going to get there, it’s just that I wanted to get to a team that was established, that was going the right direction, that had immediate success. Then maybe finishing it on the note that I want to, which is winning a playoff game and going to the Super Bowl. I think I have that opportunity now with the Falcons.”

So, we have “one word of advice” to any players who want to be traded: Exercise discretion, professionalism, and patience.

If other unhappy veteran players exhibited those traits more often, they’d be traded more often.

Then again, we’d have less drama to write about. So we kind of like it the way it is now.

Scorp
05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Ron Mexico gave October Gonzalez Herpes.

tomahawk kid
05-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Am I the only spiteful SOB who wants the Falcons to go 5-11 next season?

Raised On Riots
05-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Floreo; doesn't make cookies, or good reading either.

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 11:40 AM
who didnt know this already? did this come from WPI? they seem to always break stuff everyone here knows

CaliforniaChief
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM

I wouldn't call myself spiteful, but I would laugh if the Chiefs outperformed the Falcons this season. Especially if the Chiefs made a run and Gonzo crawled back to us for a low contract just like Jason Taylor just did with Miami.

-King-
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
-this should settle that issue, though somehow I doubt it. It will still be brought up.

Gonzalez Got Out By Not Trying To Force His Way Out
Posted by Mike Florio on May 14, 2009, 11:56 a.m. EDT

The recent experience of former Chiefs and current Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez provides a valuable lesson to other veteran players who are hoping to land with a new team.

If you want out, don’t try to force your way out.

Gonzalez took the high road (eventually), keeping quiet about his frustrations and discreetly working with the organization to make a move that worked for everyone.

“I said, ‘Look, I’m on board. If you guys want me here, I’m going to play ball for you.’” Gonzalez recently told 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City (via NFL.com, via FanHouse). “But, having said that, I also said, ‘Look, if you guys want to trade me, go ahead and do it. I’m on board with that too.’”

It was a very different outcome from last year, when Gonzalez was vocal regarding his desire to leave.

“It was incredibly, incredibly frustrating,” Gonzalez said. “Obviously, last year, when I did ask for a trade, that was on my mind. It’s not that I didn’t believe in the team and believe in the direction it was going. It was just how quickly were we going to get there? That’s frustrating when you’re on a team with a bunch of young guys and you’re not winning.”

Last year, however, the Chiefs didn’t trade Gonzalez because former G.M. Carl Peterson didn’t like the magnitude of the offer the team received. And Peterson likely didn’t like the magnitude of the offer because it was lower than it maybe would have been due to Gonzalez’s efforts to lobby for a trade.

This time around, by expressing a willingness to remain with the team, the Chiefs were able to get what they wanted — and in turn Gonzalez got what he wanted.

“I wanted to be able to finish my career on a high note,” Gonzalez said. “With the Chiefs, I’m not saying we couldn’t get there and they’re not going to get there, it’s just that I wanted to get to a team that was established, that was going the right direction, that had immediate success. Then maybe finishing it on the note that I want to, which is winning a playoff game and going to the Super Bowl. I think I have that opportunity now with the Falcons.”

So, we have “one word of advice” to any players who want to be traded: Exercise discretion, professionalism, and patience.
If other unhappy veteran players exhibited those traits more often, they’d be traded more often.

Then again, we’d have less drama to write about. So we kind of like it the way it is now.
This news is really groundbreaking.....
Posted via Mobile Device

mikey23545
05-14-2009, 11:44 AM

No way!

I want them to go 2-14....

HemiEd
05-14-2009, 11:45 AM

1-15 here.

jjjayb
In other news....Water is wet.

tomahawk kid
I wouldn't call myself spiteful, but I would laugh if the Chiefs outperformed the Falcons this season. Especially if the Chiefs made a run and Gonzo crawled back to us for a low contract just like Jason Taylor just did with Miami.

I guess I've seen the guy up at River Falls enough to know he can be a whiny little b!tch.

Don't get me wrong, the guys a HOFer and I'm glad he played for the Chiefs.

I just read the article above with some added context....

Mr. Krab
05-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Am I the only spiteful SOB who wants the Falcons to go 5-11 next season?You don't have to be spiteful to want that. The lower their record the higher the draft pick we get from them for the Tony trade. I hope the bitches go 0-16.

Kyle DeLexus
05-14-2009, 11:48 AM
1-15 here.

I'm hoping for 1-14-1.

|Zach|
05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
The subject header and the article don't really match up. What new info could have changed anyone's mind about the situation. It is exactly as he described it was in his ending press conference.

Spicy McHaggis
05-14-2009, 11:50 AM

It's not just for spite. I want that 2nd rounder to be #33 overall baby.

seclark
05-14-2009, 11:50 AM
it's not personal w/me...he's no longer a chief, so i really don't give a f@ck. same w/ja. they're gone.
sec

-King-
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
In other news....Water is wet.

Next up is his article that the afl and nfl have merged.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coogs
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
it's not personal w/me...he's no longer a chief, so i really don't give a f@ck. same w/ja. they're gone.
sec

It kind of ticks me off that TG has been down working out with the Falcons for at least 2 weeks. If he was all that concerned with winning here, you would have thought he could have been in here working out the past few years as well. JMO.

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
You don't have to be spiteful to want that. The lower their record the higher the draft pick we get from them for the Tony trade. I hope the bitches go 0-16.

Exactly.

Raised On Riots
05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
It kind of ticks me off that TG has been down working out with the Falcons for at least 2 weeks. If he was all that concerned with winning here, you would have thought he could have been in here working out the past few years as well. JMO.

He's not king of the roost in Atlanta, that's why he's working. No Carl around to say "Eh, I know you can do it, just show up on game day".

SBK
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
At least Gonzo decided to show up for the voluntary workouts here in Atlanta.

seclark
05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

i agree w/you.
i'm saying that he's done things that i wasn't crazy with all the years he was w/the chiefs. i still rooted for the guy...cause he was a chief.

he's not now. i wouldn't care if he never won another game.
(hmm...maybe it is personal w/me)
sec

Nzoner
05-14-2009, 12:20 PM
You don't have to be spiteful to want that. The lower their record the higher the draft pick we get from them for the Tony trade. I hope the bitches go 0-16.

:thumb:

Plus I have a $50 bet with a buddy(huge Gonzo fan) they won't win their division

FAX
05-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Hmmm. I'm a little lost and a tad confounded about all this. Maybe conlosted. Whatever.

My understanding was that TG's desire was to play for a team with a legitimate shot at a championship. I certainly haven't followed the Falcons, but they can't be considered even one of the favorites for an NFC title, can they? I know they improved last year, but still ...

FAX

Cormac
05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Hmmm. I'm a little lost and a tad confounded about all this. Maybe conlosted. Whatever.

My understanding was that TG's desire was to play for a team with a legitimate shot at a championship. I certainly haven't followed the Falcons, but they can't be considered even one of the favorites for an NFC title, can they? I know they improved last year, but still ...

FAX

They did get to the playoffs last year with a rookie QB. Of course Gonzo probably thinks he can add 50% to their offensive output, such is the ego of elite athletes. They have a legit shot at their division title and should make the playoffs, making them a much more likely contender than the Chiefs at this point. However, there are a bunch of teams with similar (possibly better) chances at winning the NFC title, IMO. Such as NYG, PHI, DAL, NO, AZ, GB....

King_Chief_Fan
05-14-2009, 12:59 PM

TG didn't cost the Chiefs any games. He could not have done more than what he did. He has gone to a new team. He has to get acquainted and like RoR stated, he was king in KC, he can't expect to be king in Atlanta without being with the new team every chance he can.

I don't care that TG is gone. He wanted out, he is out. I think his reasons are sound and he got what he wanted......well almost. He was sent to the Falcons.

FAX
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks, Mr. Cormac. I guess I didn't realize they had improved to the extent that they were counted among the NFC elite. Interesting.

Unquestionably, Gonzo will help them, too. I imagine their young QB is thanking his stars right about now.

FAX

Coogs
05-14-2009, 01:08 PM
TG didn't cost the Chiefs any games.

Again, It was JMO. And I find no fault with TG's effort on the field on Snday when he was a Chief. But I do think he could have done more for the "team" being more effective had he been here practicing like he is with the Falcons now.

In Bowe's rookie season, there was more than one occasion where they wound up in the same spot on the field running pass routes. That is something that maybe could have been iorned out in OTA's. And that is just Bowe. The rest of the WR's may have benifited as well.

It's something we will never know. But then again... we had to lose games to get rid of CP and Herm, so all is forgiven. But he is no longer a Chief, and we do get a draft pick next draft... Falcon's, 0-16 baby!

Nzoner
05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Mr. Cormac. I guess I didn't realize they had improved to the extent that they were counted among the NFC elite. Interesting.

Unquestionably, Gonzo will help them, too. I imagine their young QB is thanking his stars right about now.

FAX

I wouldn't put them in the top tier elite just yet Mr Fax,last season they played the likes of the NFC and AFC West,this season they have a much tougher schedule(at least on paper) and DC's have a whole lot of film of Mr Ryan.

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I think his reasons are sound and he got what he wanted......well almost. He was sent to the Falcons.

THIS.

I don't see the Falcons as a Super Bowl contender in the next 48 months.

alpha_omega
05-14-2009, 01:18 PM
The lower their record the higher the draft pick we get from them for the Tony trade.

I am not spiteful...i love Tony G; that being said...i agree with Mr. Krab's.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2009, 01:24 PM
However, there are a bunch of teams with similar (possibly better) chances at winning the NFC title, IMO. Such as NYG, PHI, DAL, NO, AZ, GB....

Dallas, New Orleans and Green Bay will not be NFC contenders. Green Bay & New Orleans had defensive issues which I doubt will be fixed in one offseason. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

Arizona lost both coordinators and I doubt that Kurt Warner has another MVP-like season. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

The NYG will have an absolutely insane defense with the additions of Michael Boley & Chris Canty, so they should be the favorite. Philly has had a massive influx of talent through the draft, free agency and trades (Jason Peters) but it's difficult to project if they'll have immediate team chemistry.

Atlanta went 11-5 with a rookie QB, rookie left tackle, Michael Turner, Roddy White and the #10 overall defense. They added Tony Gonzalez to the mix. I can't see how they can't be at least an NFC Championship favorite.

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Dallas, New Orleans and Green Bay will not be NFC contenders. Green Bay & New Orleans had defensive issues which I doubt will be fixed in one offseason. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

Arizona lost both coordinators and I doubt that Kurt Warner has another MVP-like season. Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

The NYG will have an absolutely insane defense with the additions of Michael Boley & Chris Canty, so they should be the favorite. Philly has had a massive influx of talent through the draft, free agency and trades (Jason Peters) but it's difficult to project if they'll have immediate team chemistry.

Atlanta went 11-5 with a rookie QB, rookie left tackle, Michael Turner, Roddy White and the #10 overall defense. They added Tony Gonzalez to the mix. I can't see how they can't be at least an NFC Championship favorite.

Depending on how you feel about Cutler, Chicago will be in the mix. And you have to believe that Minnesota will somehow be in the discussion as well.

Inspector
05-14-2009, 01:34 PM

Excellent logic there Mr. Krabs. My thoughts exactly.

Frazod
05-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Fuck him - he's gone. I'm definitely favred out over it.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Depending on how you feel about Cutler, Chicago will be in the mix. And you have to believe that Minnesota will somehow be in the discussion as well.

Cutler hasn't helmed a winning team in high school, so until he proves otherwise, I won't have a favorable view of him.

I don't believe in Minnesota. Too many questions at the QB position. If they do sign Favre, that would be the final nail in the coffin for their season, IMO.

Redrum_69
05-14-2009, 03:11 PM
But the Falcons are in a rebuilding stage....

Redrum_69
05-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Also..with TG gone...who is Larry Johnson gonna be able to count on to pick up his blocks...

Nzoner
05-14-2009, 03:19 PM

From VegasInsider.com (http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/)

ODDS TO WIN THE 2009-10 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
Team Open Current
New York Giants 4/1 4/1
Dallas Cowboys 5/1 5/1
Minnesota Vikings 11/1 6/1
Carolina Panthers 11/2 6/1
Philadelphia Eagles 6/1 6/1
Chicago Bears 14/1 7/1
Arizona Cardinals 15/2 15/2
Atlanta Falcons 8/1 8/1
Green Bay Packers 10/1 8/1
Washington Redskins 12/1 8/1
New Orleans Saints 10/1 10/1
Seattle Seahawks 30/1 15/1
San Francisco 49ers 22/1 16/1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17/1 16/1
St. Louis Rams 50/1 40/1
Detroit Lions 75/1 50/1

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
From VegasInsider.com (http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/)

ODDS TO WIN THE 2009-10 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
Team Open Current
New York Giants 4/1 4/1
Dallas Cowboys 5/1 5/1
Minnesota Vikings 11/1 6/1
Carolina Panthers 11/2 6/1
Philadelphia Eagles 6/1 6/1
Chicago Bears 14/1 7/1
Arizona Cardinals 15/2 15/2
Atlanta Falcons 8/1 8/1
Green Bay Packers 10/1 8/1
Washington Redskins 12/1 8/1
New Orleans Saints 10/1 10/1
Seattle Seahawks 30/1 15/1
San Francisco 49ers 22/1 16/1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17/1 16/1
St. Louis Rams 50/1 40/1
Detroit Lions 75/1 50/1

1. NYG
2. Dallas
3. Philly
4. Atlanta

FAX
05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
So, according to the odds-makers, the Falcons are middle of the pack.

Hmmm. Kind of makes you wonder whether TG's chances for a ring got significantly better or if he had additional reasons for wanting out that remain unknown.

FAX

Nzoner
05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
1. NYG
2. Dallas
3. Philly
4. Atlanta

That was posted more for the fact that some Vegas people don't agree with your comment about Dallas or New Orleans.

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Cutler hasn't helmed a winning team in high school, so until he proves otherwise, I won't have a favorable view of him.

I don't believe in Minnesota. Too many questions at the QB position. If they do sign Favre, that would be the final nail in the coffin for their season, IMO.

I agree with you on both counts.

Most people don't, however.

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Hmmm. Kind of makes you wonder whether TG's chances for a ring got significantly better or if he had additional reasons for wanting out that remain unknown.

FAX

I don't think the Falcons are "all that".

I'd be surprised if they even make it to the NFC Championship while he's there. Hell, we might win a playoff game before they do.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2009, 04:12 PM

What can I say? I'm a rebel.

:p

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM

FAX

I think you misread the odds.

They weren't sorted by highest to lowest.

It was random. I listed the four favorites to win the NFC Championship above. And that doesn't take into account the participants.

It would be highly unlikely that two NFC East teams would face off in the NFC Championship game as well.

penchief
05-14-2009, 04:27 PM

I want that second round pick to be the 33rd pick of the draft.

Raised On Riots
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Who CARES if Favre makes them better or not; I want my entertainment!:LOL:

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Who CARES if Favre makes them better or not; I want my entertainment!:LOL:

I'd love to see Favre in Minny. There's a ton of Packer and Viking fans around here, the drama would be priceless.

Raised On Riots
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I'd love to see Favre in Minny. There's a ton of Packer and Viking fans around here, the drama would be priceless.

Oh hell yeah; the "Pack"-pack at my sports bar would have a fucking aneurysm if Minnesota beat Green Bay even ONCE! :LOL:

milkman
05-14-2009, 05:31 PM

FAX

That team has a nice mix of youth and veterans.

They've had some really good drafts over the last 4-5 years.

They are on the cusp of being among the elite NFC teams for the next 5-6 years.

I like what Thomas Dimitroff has done with that team over the last two years, excluding the trade for Tony.

milkman
05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
THIS.

I don't see the Falcons as a Super Bowl contender in the next 48 months.

I disagree.

If Jerry pans out, and Jamal Anderson begins to emerge, or they draft another stud DE, they will be a legitimate SB contender in 2010.

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I disagree.

If Jerry pans out, and Jamal Anderson begins to emerge, or they draft another stud DE, they will be a legitimate SB contender in 2010.

Assuming they don't run their RB into the ground and Ryan doesn't go through a sophomore slump, they'll be on track. So much can change from year-to-year that it's hard to say anything after 2009.

Reerun_KC
05-14-2009, 07:35 PM
In other news....Waters is crying for Herm.

When can we ship Brian Waters crying ass out as well? Hell send LJ with him to sweeten the deal?

Raised On Riots
05-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I disagree.

Mmm...a Chiefs vs Falcons Super Bowl with Gonzo as an opponent; that's drama on the high seas! That would be absolutely fucking awesome.

When can we ship Brian Waters crying ass out as well? Hell send LJ with him to sweeten the deal?

I kind of figured they'd have been a package deal by now, but I'm guessing they're going to be here for the season.

Ari Chi3fs
05-14-2009, 09:16 PM
I want to smack my cock upside October Gonzalez face. But that's just me.

Raised On Riots
05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
I want to smack my cock upside October Gonzalez face. But that's just me.

It's not just you.:)

Mr. Krab
05-14-2009, 09:33 PM
If Karma is paying any attention the Chiefs will be the surprise cinderella playoff team this year and Atlanta will be an injury ridden under-achiever with a losing record.

:hmmm:

Maybe it can be a hampering, but not serious injury to Matt Ryan so that Gonzo has his lowest numbers in his pro career.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2009, 09:36 PM
If Karma is paying any attention the Chiefs will be the surprise cinderella playoff team this year and Atlanta will be an injury ridden under-achiever with a losing record.

Karma doesn't rush the passer

OnTheWarpath58
05-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Karma doesn't rush the passer

LMAO