PDA

View Full Version : News The Moon Is Made Of Cheese

FAX
05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Mr. MOhillbilly did a post thing in another thread that got me to thinking with my brain stuff. The post was succinct, compelling, pointed, and it goes like this, "The moon is made of cheese."

This fascinating statement caused me to start wondering where scientists back in ancient times got the wacky idea that the moon was made of cheese. It seems incredibly dumb to me. I guess that back in those stupid, ancient days, they didn't know how big the moon was so they didn't realize how much damn cheese would be necessary to make a moon, but still. Of course, they also thought the Earth was flat and the universe revolved around our planet. Man, those were some really stupid, ancient peeps back in those days weren't they?

Anyhow, I thought to myself, "Hey! I'll bet that the Planeteer community knows about lots and lots of other stupid, ancient ideas that stupid, ancient peeps had!!!" Then, I thought back, "I know. I'll start a thread and find out how many stupid, ancient ideas that stupid, ancient peeps had that we can put in the thread that I make!!!" So that's what I'm doing, by willies.

Therefore, if you are so inclined, please post any and all really stupid, ancient ideas that stupid, ancient peeps had in this thread.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost. Sorry if stupid, ancient idea.

Garcia Bronco
05-14-2009, 03:50 PM
They also thought the moon was surrounded in glass.

Demonpenz
05-14-2009, 03:51 PM
if the moon were made of spareribs, would you eat them? -harry carey

stumppy
05-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Throwing someone into an active volcano would somehow appease the Gods and prevent the inevitable eruption.

Garcia Bronco
05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Charles Mesmer - the Orgin of the word mesmerism

http://books.google.com/books?id=WKkCwqDEI9QC&pg=PA348&lpg=PA348&dq=charles+mesmer&source=bl&ots=fcRI3NOkT3&sig=E_ZzloJVP-k-1kf98oUDzL8eZpI&hl=en&ei=VJIMSufILIyI8gTu_ZnRDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Earthling
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
How about the ole chair dunk in the lake to prove a person was a witch...if they didn't drown. Now THAT was water-boarding.

FAX
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Well, I think that's still a pretty good idea, Mr. stumppy.

Here's one ... they used to think that if you drafted thousands of defensive linemen, your football team would get better.

FAX

Garcia Bronco
05-14-2009, 03:55 PM
How about the ole chair dunk in the lake to prove a person was a witch...if they didn't drown. Now THAT was water-boarding.

Flogging is the word I believe. If you floated you were a witch and to be burnt at the stake. If you drowned you were not a witch, but you were dead. It's the Kobasi Maru

Earthling
05-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Flogging is the word I believe. If you floated you were a witch and to be killed. If you drowned you were not a witch, but you were dead.

Hehehe Yep...I don't go back that far so I wasn't sure. :D

MagicHef
05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
My favorite is the idea that human knowledge ever has or now does amount to anything meaningful.

Crush
05-14-2009, 03:58 PM
An old Scandinavian name for northern lights translates as "herring flash". It was believed that northern lights were the reflections cast by large swarms of herring onto the sky.

FAX
05-14-2009, 03:58 PM
On the subject of the glass thing, Mr. Garcia Bronco ... at one time, didn't they think that the Earth was surrounded by a big sphere thing, too? And the stars were holes in the sphere, or something? I think I read that somewhere in some stupid, ancient book.

FAX

Garcia Bronco
05-14-2009, 04:01 PM
On the subject of the glass thing, Mr. Garcia Bronco ... at one time, didn't they think that the Earth was surrounded by a big sphere thing, too? And the stars were holes in the sphere, or something? I think I read that somewhere in some stupid, ancient book.

FAX

I don't know. It sounds like that could be true.

stumppy
05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Well, I think that's still a pretty good idea, Mr. stumppy.

Here's one ... they used to think that if you drafted thousands of defensive linemen, your football team would get better.

FAX

I'd give about anything to go back in time and snuff that one out before it began.

Earthling
05-14-2009, 04:18 PM

FAX

I must have browsed that same stupid, ancient, book..I remember it even had a diagram or drawing of sorts..

stevieray
05-14-2009, 04:47 PM
"say cheese"

...moons the camera.

bringbackmarty
05-14-2009, 04:48 PM
The internal combustion engine, very stupid idea...

Hydrae
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Flogging is the word I believe. If you floated you were a witch and to be burnt at the stake. If you drowned you were not a witch, but you were dead. It's the Kobasi Maru

Flogging is whipping:

flog  /flɒg, flɔg/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [flog, flawg] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), flogged, flog⋅ging.
1. to beat with a whip, stick, etc., esp. as punishment; whip; scourge.
2. Slang. a. to sell, esp. aggressively or vigorously.
b. to promote; publicize.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flogging

Baby Lee
05-14-2009, 05:30 PM

FAX

Prior to Copernicus, and heliocentrism, our earth centric forebears thought the heavens were fixed, save the planets which already were observable to exhibit irregular orbits. Those were posited to gyrate around their own little spot in the fixed heavens.

Joie
05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Hold on, are you saying the moon isn't made of cheese?!

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Hold on, are you saying the moon isn't made of cheese?!

what about that man??? is he not REALLY on the moon

Joie
05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
what about that man??? is he not REALLY on the moon

Sure he is, he harvests the cheese.

"Bob" Dobbs
05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I knew a 20-something chick once who honestly BELIEVED that the moon was the sun at night.

kysirsoze
05-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Throwing someone into an active volcano would somehow appease the Gods and prevent the inevitable eruption.

I just watched Joe vs. the Volcano last night! Weird...

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Sure he is, he harvests the cheese.

oh i get it now. thanks

Joie
05-14-2009, 06:07 PM
oh i get it now. thanks

Anytime:D

Over-Head
05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I like pie (with cheese )

FAX
05-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I knew a 20-something chick once who honestly BELIEVED that the moon was the sun at night.

ROFL

I think I may know her. Stripper, by any chance?

FAX

stumppy
05-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Hmmm, I think I dated her sister for awhile. Did she also believe hurricanes were underwater ?

bevischief
05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Nachos?

Pioli Zombie
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM
The idea that you can't trade a sure hall of famer like Drew Bledsoe and turn your team over to a dink and dunk passer like this kid Brady.
Posted via Mobile Device

morphius
05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I knew one that thought that was as well, nice girl, may she RIP.

"Bob" Dobbs
05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
ROFL

I think I may know her. Stripper, by any chance?

FAXShe'd be in her LATE 50s by now, so I certainly hope not.

bdeg
05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
bleeding/leeching the sick
drilling a hole in the skull of the crazy or 'possessed' (trephaning?)

amazing how far we've come

Basileus777
05-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Imagine how bad a ball of rotten cheese the size of the moon would smell.

Skip Towne
05-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Lobotomies.

Stanley Nickels
05-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Imagine how people will speak about us in 1,000 years.

I'd imagine we'd be looked on with admiration, trying so hard and developing the foundations for the future of scientific research. But, our theories would be found silly, relying on mathematics to explain something so beyond human comprehension as the beginning of the universe.

Or, maybe, culture will be so devolved that they'll only be left with video clips of Miss California this year, Miss Teen South Carolina a few years back, and endless celebrity blogs. And, after such pop culture-degradation of society, they'll be looked on with reverence, as the last truly "reel smart" people in history. If you haven't seen Idiocracy... do.

bdeg
05-14-2009, 09:46 PM
with the increasing capacity for laziness this technology brings i see it being closer to idiocracy.

regardless of intelligence, even with unlimited technology, i don't think we ever breach divine knowledge you speak of. it's just that, "beyond human comprehension"

FAX
05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
See, that's what I was thinking. For example, in 500 years will they look back on something like our belief that you can't travel faster than light and laugh their asses off at our foolishness?

Once we have inexpensive, disposable, robot women, all this hooplah over dating will be considered as naive and ignorant as throwing peeps in volcanoes to the future us.

FAX

bdeg
05-14-2009, 10:01 PM
haha, i could see some things like that.

there are advances in brain science to be made that could rock our world. exploring the nature of consciousness

going out on a limb here--i also think psychoactives(specifically hallucinogens) could give us some very helpful hints as to the unknowns of the universe if they were studied properly. if you've ever heard of shulgin, i've read a little bit of his research, and he claims to have experienced a distinct 'contact high' when other people in the room consumed certain experimental drugs. they took drugs, and he, an objective scientist, tripped. could it be that we're all connected some way spiritually or on some other level we can't perceive?

Stanley Nickels
05-14-2009, 10:05 PM
One thing I will say-- and, I realize I'm digressing a ton from the OP here-- I think we'll look back with disdain on our generations' insistence that everything be treated with pharmaceuticals. The human body is a wonderful machine, made even stronger by its intricacies and the variations of brain function. Not everything needs a medicine.

Bugeater
05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
And they'll tell you black is really white
The moon is just the sun at night
And when you walk in golden halls
You get to keep the gold that falls
Its heaven and hell, oh no!
Fool, fool!

Just Passin' By
05-14-2009, 10:31 PM
That's the problem with being a smartass. You unload some priceless bon mot and 400 years later, out of context, you sound like an idiot. Here's an early green cheese citation from John Heywood's Proverbes (1546): "The moon is made of a greene cheese," greene meaning new, unaged. One can find similar quotes in the works of Francois Rabelais and Thomas More. I'm hearing sarcasm here, but in that era before ;-) one can't be sure. Other citations are clearer: "You may as soon persuade some Country Peasants, that the Moon is made of Green Cheese (as we say) as that 'tis bigger than his Cart-wheel" (Wilkins, New World 1, 1638), the implication being that Luna's non-cheesiosity was not a matter regarding which even the rustics were in doubt.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1340/how-did-the-moon-green-cheese-myth-start

Nasa seems to buy this explanation:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap020315.html