PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Is the wheel on my car screwed?

KCChiefsMan
05-14-2009, 05:18 PM
I hit a nasty pothole going 35 and there is a big dent and my tire is flat, here are a couple of pics. I want to ask before I take the tire and wheel in, but I'm positive the mechanic will say that I will need to buy a new wheel, whether that may be the case or not. I don't know. What do you guys think? I'd prefer not to have to buy a new wheel and I'm seeking advice. If it makes any difference it's front wheel drive, 2006 Ford Focus. Thanks :#

KcMizzou
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I dunno, but it should be pretty easy to find a cheap used one, if nothing else.

Steel wheels are easy, aluminum get expensive real quick.

Earthling
05-14-2009, 05:23 PM
I guess you could throw a tube in the tire and run it as a spare? Might be off-ballanced though but better than the little dough-nut spares you get these days.

Valiant
05-14-2009, 05:24 PM
You could probably get somebody to hammer it out, but honestly a used one might be cheaper..

KCChiefsMan
05-14-2009, 05:24 PM
I hit the pothole on Sunday I think it was, so it just turned flat today. Slow leak, I'm gonna try one of them fix a flats and air it up and see what happens.

Baconeater
05-14-2009, 05:32 PM
You probably just broke the bead.

kstater
05-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I hit the pothole on Sunday I think it was, so it just turned flat today. Slow leak, I'm gonna try one of them fix a flats and air it up and see what happens.

Until you beat it with a hammer, that fix a flat stuff won't be a damn bit of good.

Hit the bent part until you think it's good, fill the tire up(I'll typically overfill the tire, but I typically do this on much smaller tires) then spray some soapy water on it. Continue hitting until no bubbles are left.

CrazyPhuD
05-14-2009, 05:41 PM
If it flattened I really wouldn't drive on that much. It could get dangerous and fail when you really don't need it to(say 65 on the highway). That could cause a MUCH bigger problem. As was said before it's a steely, how much do they run? Can't be that expensive, $100? If you blow out on the highway and get into an accident it will cost way more.

mlyonsd
05-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I'd call around to the salvage yards and tell them you're looking for that size wheel. Pretty cheap way out and peace of mind.

CrazyPhuD
05-14-2009, 05:44 PM
dude $60-$70

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selection.asp?_SUPPLIERSKU=STL03365U&_YEAR=2006&_MAKE=FORD&_MODEL=FOCUS

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=off&q=2006+ford+focus+steel+wheel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=UJ4MSo3DNIWQtAP9mMyNAw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

5 minutes on google search. It's a safety item how much is that worth? You might even be able to bitch to the city and get them to pay for your new wheel.

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Until you beat it with a hammer, that fix a flat stuff won't be a damn bit of good.

Hit the bent part until you think it's good, fill the tire up(I'll typically overfill the tire, but I typically do this on much smaller tires) then spray some soapy water on it. Continue hitting until no bubbles are left.

this, sometimes i take a crescent wrench and use that to bend it back pretty good then hit it until it doesnt leak

Hydrae
05-14-2009, 06:17 PM
How concerned should he be with the tire itself? I would imagine a hit like that can't be good for the cords and would tend to make the tire fail earlier in life than it would otherwise, right?

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 06:20 PM
How concerned should he be with the tire itself? I would imagine a hit like that can't be good for the cords and would tend to make the tire fail earlier in life than it would otherwise, right?

probably not, but it is possible. if it's bad he should be able to tell by driving it,especially on the front

KCChiefsMan
05-14-2009, 06:25 PM
well that fix a flat was a bad idea, also should wear safety goggles next time but luckily I was wearing my glasses because it sprayed all over me. But I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get a new wheel. It's cheap enough, but I would just rather not have to spend extra money, but I guess I better.

KCChiefsMan
05-14-2009, 06:26 PM
I'll just not go to the bars 3 times when I normally would have, that should even out the cost. lol

Chiefaholic
05-14-2009, 06:27 PM
You'll probably have to get another wheel. Even if you take a chance on hammering it out, it'll likely leak in the future and give you fits with flats and low tires. They're not all that expensive at a salvage yard.

LaChapelle
05-14-2009, 06:34 PM
The front end alignment should be more costly.

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 06:35 PM
The front end alignment should be more costly.

i wonder if his steering wheel is still straight?

bevischief
05-14-2009, 07:25 PM
You are F$$$$#@. That is all.

Bwana
05-14-2009, 08:10 PM
:hmmm:

For **** sake, that's an everyday, run of the mill steel rim. $20 bucks and the junk yard. Go to your local Stanford and son, ask for Fred and be done with it.

KcMizzou
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM

For **** sake, that's and everyday, run of the mill steel rim. $20 bucks and the junk yard. Go to your local Stanford and son, ask for Fred and be done with it.This.

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 08:18 PM

For fuck sake, that's and everyday, run of the mill steel rim. $20 bucks and the junk yard. Go to your local Stanford and son, ask for Fred and be done with it.

true, i would fix it if it was mine or a friends, but i like to fix shit. AND the sanford and sons isnt local for me they are at least 20 miles away:( (what's funny about his rim)

stanford and sons lol thats a comedy club

KcMizzou
05-14-2009, 08:19 PM
stanford and sons lol thats a comedy clubLMAO

Damned pups.

Edit: Oh, nm. Sanford/Stanford

doomy3
05-14-2009, 08:21 PM
To answer your question:

Usually, wheels are screwed onto cars, but they are fastened with lug nuts.

JASONSAUTO
05-14-2009, 08:25 PM
LMAO

Damned pups.

Edit: Oh, nm. Sanford/Stanford

YEAH JUST RAZZIN BWANA A LITTLE and i'm probably about the same age as you

Hog Farmer
05-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Don't listen to these guys , they'll steer you the wrong way every time.

Go to the hardware store and get a tube of LIQUID NAIL. squeeze enough in to fill the hole in the rim and let dry overnight. Air up you tire the next day and your're good to go.. I've done this many, many times !

KCChiefsMan
05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
well I took the wheel into a local tire place and asked them to try and see if it could be hammered down. They did that and told me not to worry about any charge, which I couldn't believe. But in a few hours I will check to see if it's holding the air. But I'm used to being ripped off by mechanics and couldn't believe they didn't charge me. I will go back there. DnD Tire in Lawrence.

JASONSAUTO
05-15-2009, 03:30 PM
well I took the wheel into a local tire place and asked them to try and see if it could be hammered down. They did that and told me not to worry about any charge, which I couldn't believe. But in a few hours I will check to see if it's holding the air. But I'm used to being ripped off by mechanics and couldn't believe they didn't charge me. I will go back there. DnD Tire in Lawrence.

see some mechanics are good guys:D

Lzen
05-15-2009, 03:39 PM
see some mechanics are good guys:D

And if you ever find one, make sure you stick with him, cause they are very rare. :D

Iowanian
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
You could pound it out, but I wouldn't because it will be tough to get the wheel balanced and your tire will wear.

Go to a salvage yard and get a new rim.

Its not going to be expensive at all.

HemiEd
05-15-2009, 05:38 PM
You could pound it out, but I wouldn't because it will be tough to get the wheel balanced and your tire will wear.

Go to a salvage yard and get a new rim.

Its not going to be expensive at all.

I used to get steel wheels professionaly straightened in Wichita at Atlas Spring and Axle, but I doubt anyone does it anymore. Like everyone said, just buy a used one.

Valiant
05-15-2009, 06:08 PM
And if you ever find one, make sure you stick with him, cause they are very rare. :D

Kev's muffler and brake is that way in the northland.. I have had about a dozen friends go there now and they love it.. Especially since they don't **** with vehicles and are 100's of dollars cheaper then most other places..

Parents explorer started leaking antifreeze monday, took it in they fix it.. Next day they noticed it was leaking somewhere else.. Took it back in, a hose was dried it cracked, they replaced the hoses and labor for free..

And if they can't do the work, they will send you to an honest place that will..

JASONSAUTO
05-15-2009, 06:53 PM

thats why they keep coming back

Chaunceythe3rd
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I suggest you discard the entire car. You probably have at least $50.00 of damage. That should be enough for your insurance company to total a Ford Focus.