PDA

View Full Version : Music Eminem Relapse Album Review

Taco John
05-15-2009, 03:42 AM
So I've listened to the new Eminem album about a dozen times, and I have to say that I think the album is brilliant. It's not perfect, but it's an effort that comes in at the A level.

To give some perspective, I really liked his Slim Shady LP, but I thought it was very rough around the edges and that he still hadn't pushed the level of his talent yet. I thought he came into his own with the Marshall Mathers LP, perfecting his style and gaining absolute control of his lyrical flow. To me, the MMLP is his best album, though I think he showed absolute mastery of his craft with The Eminem Show. The problem that I had with the Eminem Show was that I thought it was a little *too* slick and over produced. I love the album, to be sure, but it doesn't have the organic feel that The MMLP has. Encore, I thought, was terrible in comparison to all of them. I liked some of the stuff on there, but Eminem had said anything interesting that I thought he could say at that point in time. To me, he hit the wall that every successful rapper is bound to hit: we've heard it, you've got nothing new to say, and you're so rich that you no longer have street cred anymore. Frankly, I had thought Eminem had done the right thing by closing the book on his career and only doing small projects and producing (ala Dr. Dre).

Boy am I glad I was wrong about that.

This new album, while containing some of the same themes we've seen in the old album (namely the drug use of his mother and its fallout in his life), contains a lot of new and fresh stuff and gives listeners a peek into the world of Eminem since his pseudo-retirement.

The album is essentially therapy for Eminem, with the major theme being his relapse into the world of drug addiction and prescription pill popping. There's a lot of hate and anger in this album, and he hits you in the face with it right out of the gates, but what you find as you journey through those gates is that the deeper into the album you get, the more he aims that hate and anger at himself.

The first three songs absolutely put my jaw in my lap - the first song being an anthem to mass murdering. It's not a particularly new theme for Eminem, but it does have a more graphic edge to it than his past stabs at this theme (sadly, the pun was intended). The music and lyrics come together in a very haunting way that made me seriously question the guys sanity. But he doesn't stop there. As you leave 3am with the image of Eminem being a deranged psycopath who is ready to butcher people in a drug induced black-out, he does something very interesting by leading you back in time with the songs "My Mom" (My Mom does valium and lots of drugs, that's why I'm on what I'm on, cuz I'm my mom), where Eminem talks about how he has inherited his drug addiction from his mother. From there, he blows the hinges off the door with the song "Insane," where Eminem reveals a history of being sexually abused by a step father (If you could count the Skeletons in my closet). By this time my jaw was in my lap.

The first three tracks hit me like a ton of bricks, and I thought the album was going to be very heavy. Eminem doesn't necessarily lighten the load, but from this point on you no longer feel like you're staring alone at a dead baby in a dumpster. The next song, Bagpipes from Baghdad flashes to the not so recent past where Eminem does a little of his usual Slim Shady celebrity bashing stuff. It's a catchy beat, but not a particularly strong song. The most interesting thing is that he reveals that he's been clean and sober for at least a year now (who’s-gonna-go-see-the-doctor first? we’ll do a coin flip, i just got my one year sobriety coin chip).

The next song on the album, called "Hello," is a sort of re-introduction to Eminem. It's a very good song with some double meaning to it. The question is whether or not he's reintroducing himself to the fans, or re-introducing himself to the pill addiction (as though it were a person). It's an excellent song, and he doesn't hold back as he reveals how low things got for him:

I lose a pill and I'm recklessly wrecking the house
That was supposed to be breakfast where the heck is it now?
There's the necklace I lost, right next to Stephanie's blouse.
Man I should check to see if my mum left any out
Nope! Guess I'll reroute
Maybe somewhere in the depths of the couch
oooh, Jackpot, yeah
Open Sesame mouth!

In the song, he reveals that his recent "pnemonia" bout was actually an overdose situation where he had to be rushed to the hospital.

The album then takes another dark turn, as Eminem flashes back into his mass murdering persona with a skit about a stranded girl getting into the wrong car with the wrong person, and leading into "Same Song and Dance" where he basically kills Lindsay Lohan and Brittney Spears. By this time, the mass murdering schtick has worn a little thin, and the album leads into the Radio Pop friendly "We Made You." I'm not a big fan of Eminem's radio pop. I understand why he has to do it, and I think that he's very good at it. But I don't find it particularly interesting - and certainly not compelling. But it can be fun when I'm in the right mood. This one, in my opinion, is one of his better radio pop efforts, so at least there is that. But by this time in the album, I was starting to tune out a little bit.

The next song provides the funniest moment in the album, when Eminem gives Christopher Reeves the last word by rapping AS Reeves, complete with robotic voice and long drawn out mechanical breaths. Needless to say I was shocked but tickled by the picture he paints of Reeves battle rapping against him:

Eminem on coming to kill you [long mechanical breath]
Always hated you and I still do
You'll never fill my shoes my superman costume [long mechanical breath]
Doesn't even fit you they don't feel you
You're takign this shit to far [long mechanical breath]
Who do you think you are
Hang my suit up in the armoire
Everday I hate you more and more
Throw down the cardboard
Let's break dance if you think you're hardcore

The Paul Berman skit after this is probably the funniest moment of any of his albums.

From this point on, the album maintains a high level of interest. Stay Wide Awake continues the horror theme of the album - which really comes off to me as a self defense mechanism to protect himself from just how much of his soul he bares on the table (especially later on in the album, with Deja Vu).

Old Times Sake is a great collaboration with Dre that I think is one of the best they've done together. Must Be the Ganja has a good beat, flow, and is pretty catchy.

The album climaxes here with Deja Vu, which I think is probably one of the best songs of Eminem's career. It starts with a skit that is essentially a recreation of the scene where the paramedics are treating him for overdose as they start to rush him to the hospital. He goes from the extremes of painting himself as an evil murderer, to this song in which he completely bears his soul showing just how vulnerable he is. I think the song is brilliant. The beat is spot on. The flow is absolutely superb. The lyrics are deep and penetrating. When someone asks me why I listen to Eminem, this song is a good one to offer up as a damn good reason. The whole experience of this song is hypnotic and it just gets better with each and every listen as you're drawn deeper and deeper into the lyrics and the thoughts behind the lyrics. I can't say enough about how great this song is.

The next two songs are anti-climatic, but still worthy efforts. Beautiful seems like a song he wrote for his girls, which I dig. And then Crack a Bottle is the star studded reprise to the album, featuring Dre and 50 Cent.

At the end of the day, I find that each time I listen to the album, I like it more and more. It's what I wish The Eminem Show was (with the Eminem Show being Encore, and Encore being some B-sides that never made it into an album).

The bottom line is that it's a worthy effort. Eminem has reinvented himself with an album that fans will appreciate. This isn't the cruise control album that Encore was. This is Marshall Mathers working his ass off to produce something worth releasing, and definitely worth listening to.

4.5 stars.

Buck
05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Sweet, just got goosebumps.

Its on sale at Best Buy for $9.99 on Tuesday.

blazzin311
05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Yea, I got the album last week and Eminem definetly IMO hasn't lost a step. This is a great album. Also he has relapse 2 coming out later this year too. So that should be a good one also. Anyone know when Dre's new album drops?

jjjayb
05-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I heard 3am on the way to work today. Gotta love satellite radio.

Demonpenz
05-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Marshell matthers LP has to be one of the 20 greatest albums of all time

Taco John
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Marshell matthers LP has to be one of the 20 greatest albums of all time

Seconded...

CoMoChief
05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
The Marshall Mathers CD is a great one. No doubt its his best work.

|Zach|
05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
I understand I am in the minority but...I have just always thought his work was way overrated.

Demonpenz
05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I understand I am in the minority but...I have just always thought his work was way overrated.

maybe you don't relate because you aren't from the streets me and slim we made it outta st joe

kysirsoze
05-15-2009, 12:08 PM

He has his flaws, but I think he's the greatest rap lyricist of all time.

I am going to buy the hell out of this album.

Baby Lee
05-15-2009, 12:13 PM

I think a lot of his popularity is due to his ability to capture the right tone of voice to invoke emotion in keeping with the particular song, whether it's sarcarsm or humor or anger or despair. Lil Wayne does a good job of this too.

Think of the tone his voice takes on over the course of Lose Yourself, it's almost like 'The Weirding Way' in Dune.

That, and who the fuck comes up with

Well I'm back (*Batman Noise*) fix your bent antenna
Tune it in and then I'm gonna enter
Into the front of your skin like a splinter

|Zach|
05-15-2009, 12:16 PM
maybe you don't relate because you aren't from the streets me and slim we made it outta st joe

Distinct possibility. :D

Reaper16
05-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Question: What rappers do you particularly enjoy listening to? I know that Kanye is one.

Demonpenz
05-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Question: What rappers do you particularly enjoy listening to? I know that Kanye is one.

I don't want to speak for him but I will anyways, he leans to more funk underground thoughtful rap smooth delivery, Like bone thugs n harmony

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I am going to buy the hell out of this album.

Why would you need to buy more than 1 copy?

|Zach|
05-15-2009, 12:47 PM

I personally love Kanye West. I know everyone is falling over themselves to make fun of him after an episode of South Park but the stuff he puts out is amazing.

I cringed a little bit at the idea of Enimem of all people being one of the best lyricist. I don't know about best but Mos Def is the real deal.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsihHoyqwWY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsihHoyqwWY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td align="center"><embed src="http://Boondocks.smartvideochannel.com/media/flvplayer2.swf?xml=http%3a%2f%2fBoondocks.smartvideochannel.com%2fmedia%2fGetFlashVideo.ashx%3fcid%3 d59C2CFA61BCC491C93C675BBE3224616%26fs%3d0%26embed%3d1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" WIDTH="460" HEIGHT="373"></embed><br/><a target="_new" href="http://Boondocks.smartvideochannel.com/media/playvideo.aspx?cid=59C2CFA61BCC491C93C675BBE3224616">Replay video</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a target="_new" href="http://Boondocks.smartvideochannel.com/media/playvideo.aspx?cid=59C2CFA61BCC491C93C675BBE3224616&autoStart=0&email=1#email">Share video</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a target="_new" href="http://Boondocks.smartvideochannel.com">Watch more videos</a></td></tr></table>

Reaper16
05-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I've got a man-crush on Mos Def. He's brilliant.

I really love hip-hop, and my tastes skew towards the independent, underground and "backpack rap" scenes. But I definetly think that Em is one of the best ever. I do think he's one of the best lyricists ever, and his flow is so on-point and effortless.

|Zach|
05-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I've got a man-crush on Mos Def. He's brilliant.

I really love hip-hop, and my tastes skew towards the independent, underground and "backpack rap" scenes. But I definetly think that Em is one of the best ever. I do think he's one of the best lyricists ever, and his flow is so on-point and effortless.

And I will admit...its not a genre I explore like others. I lean towards more polished melody, harmony works... N.E.R.D. is a good example.

Fruit Ninja
05-15-2009, 01:26 PM

hehe, He's not over rated. When he's one, he's one of the best ever. I dont hardly ever give that praise out for rap artists now days, but he can just do his job.

Thig Lyfe
05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Best rap lyricist: DOOM

Thig Lyfe
05-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Here's Mos Def explaining why:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTBIvIDnnv8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTBIvIDnnv8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fish
05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
He's no Too $hort.....

Katipan
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Too bad you have to get through months of "we made you" on radio play to get the good stuff.

That song also completely invalidates any argument for brilliance.

Reaper16
05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Too bad you have to get through months of "we made you" on radio play to get the good stuff.

That song also completely invalidates any argument for brilliance.
Eh, its a pop single. Its forgivable.

kysirsoze
05-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Why would you need to buy more than 1 copy?

Oh I'll just buy the one. But I'm going to really mean it.

ZootedGranny
05-15-2009, 02:48 PM
The album grew on me a bit, but I don't need to listen to Eminem rap in terrible accents over weak production for yet another album.

I'd rather have this version of Eminem:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U4ymPa4QzEo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U4ymPa4QzEo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

SPATCH
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Best rap lyricist: DOOM

fuck yeah

but my personal favorite, lyrically, is CANNIBUS.... intelligent ass rhymes

KC native
05-16-2009, 02:18 AM
I personally love Kanye West. I know everyone is falling over themselves to make fun of him after an episode of South Park but the stuff he puts out is amazing.

I cringed a little bit at the idea of Enimem of all people being one of the best lyricist. I don't know about best but Mos Def is the real deal.

I feel Kanye is one of the most over-rated hip hoppers off all time. His production is great however his lyrical content and rhyme schemes leave much to be desired (he always comes off as a whiny little bitch to me).

Mos used to be one of my favorites but after Blackstar and Black on Both Sides his music took a definite down turn. I hated The New Danger and the Magic Hour was a garbage mailed in release.

Eminem is the real deal. Most rappers can't make the transition from battle rapper to making good songs (see Canibus). The first album is good but the Marshall Mathers LP is a classic. His complex word plays and compound rhyme schemes easily push him into the top 10 if not top 5. I still can remember the first time I heard one of his songs. It was on Soundbombing pt 2. My favorite line was, "I'll strike an ill pose/and hit you with some ill flows/that don't even make sense like dykes using dildos".

As far as the best lyricist of all time that's a tough choice. It depends on if you value delivery plus content or if it's content only. To me it's some combo of the two and I try to look at it from the whole catalogue of artists. If we go by that then GZA from Wu-Tang is one of if not the best. Liquid Swords is a start to finish classic. His verses on Wu albums are always quality. Then you start to delve deeper into his work and see he's done something really creative on each album. Liquid Swords had labels (where he raps all the label's names at the time). Next album brought (can't remember the song title right now) a song where he rocked all of the magazine titles. The next album he came with Fame (celebrity names) and Animal Planet (breaks down dope game with different animals). On GZA and DJ Muggs Grandmasters, he does football team names. None of these aforementioned songs are cheeseball either.
Here's labels and Queen's Gambit (the football teams)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSwXV4DUX2I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSwXV4DUX2I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6AIKRI_XpY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6AIKRI_XpY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KC native
05-16-2009, 02:19 AM
**** yeah

but my personal favorite, lyrically, is CANNIBUS.... intelligent ass rhymes

Yea, but he can't make a good song/album for shit. He's a great battle rapper but failed miserably at making good albums.

thurman merman
05-16-2009, 02:34 AM
this album is shit. the bad kind.

Von Dumbass
05-16-2009, 03:51 AM
The album grew on me a bit, but I don't need to listen to Eminem rap in terrible accents over weak production for yet another album.

I'd rather have this version of Eminem:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U4ymPa4QzEo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U4ymPa4QzEo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
If you liked that you will love this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vbykp6iaAHk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vbykp6iaAHk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It is a pretty old freestyle I think it came out shortly before the Slim Shady LP or maybe a little bit after...

Von Dumbass
05-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Here is some stuff that definitely came before the Slim Shady LP
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kr2sSqW97DM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kr2sSqW97DM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This one is on the Dr. Dolittle soundtrack... His second verse (after Redman) is one of my favorite Eminem verses.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQgEkphG0SQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQgEkphG0SQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Nice song he did on a Funkmaster flex mixtape (he only is on the first verse and the chorus)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUzpRH2sBdQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUzpRH2sBdQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

One of my favorite rap songs of all time... Eminem is the 3rd verse (2:56) its from the DJ Green Lantern Invasion mixtape.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtDpfhJSD08&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtDpfhJSD08&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

All of these are NSFW obviously

Von Dumbass
05-16-2009, 04:04 AM
My favorite song on Infinite. Eminem has a really clever verse in this (second verse) ... just skip to 2:11 to hear Eminem's verse

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nT6HSQRrtj4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nT6HSQRrtj4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ZootedGranny
05-16-2009, 04:31 AM
As far as the best lyricist of all time that's a tough choice. It depends on if you value delivery plus content or if it's content only. To me it's some combo of the two and I try to look at it from the whole catalogue of artists. If we go by that then GZA from Wu-Tang is one of if not the best.

Good choice. He's probably in my top ten if not top five purely as a lyricist, but that's a list I don't want to compile right now. My choice would be Andre 3000.

Priest31kc
05-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I downloaded it on the 5th when it first leaked and was very impressed.

Favorite songs:

Stay Wide Awake
Same Song and Dance
Beautiful
Underground
Deja Vu

He kinda goes back to his OLD self on this one. The beats arent amazing, but are pretty good. This is definitely better than Encore and right up there with The Eminem Show.

Anyone heard the bonus tracks yet? My Darling and Careful What You Wish For, should have replaced Crack a Bottle and We Made You on the album.

Taco John
05-18-2009, 01:36 AM
The more I listen to this album, the better it gets. I took it with me on my mp3 player for my hike through the woods this weekend, and found more to appreciate with every listen.

My favorite compound syllable rhyme:
Grab my flannel and my bandana then
Kiss the naked mannequin man again

Where does he come up with this stuff... He's sick.

KcMizzou
05-18-2009, 10:48 PM
I've been listening to this over and over, since I read this review. I've gotta say, I agree.

I'm admittedly a fan anyway, but this is way, way better than I expected at this point. I was worried that Em was out of things to say.

I look forward to Relapse 2.

Priest31kc
05-19-2009, 01:49 AM
i cant get enough of same song and dance, stay wide awake and beautiful.

KC native
05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
So just made it through the album and Em is definitely back. Gotta say I'm impressed. didn't expect it to really be this good.

Baby Lee
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I was born with a dick in my brain yeah fucked in the head,
my stepfather said that I sucked in the bed,
till one night he snuck in and said, "we're going out back- I want my dick sucked in the shed",
can't we just play with Teddy Ruxpin instead?,
"After I fuck you in the butt get some head,
bust a nut get some rest",
the next day my mother said "I don't know what the fucks up with this kid,
the bastard won't even eat nothin he's fed,
he just hung himself in the bedroom he's dead",
"Debbie don't let that fucker get you upset,
go in there stick a fuckin' cigarette to his neck,
I bet you he's faking it, I'll bet you I'll bet,
he probably just wants to see how upset you would get,
I'll go handle this of course unless you object?"
"I'll go fuck his brains out if any's left in his head"

Rudy lost the toss
05-20-2009, 12:09 AM
just heard 3am on Jimmy Kimmel. That song sucks dick

noa
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Pitchfork isn't that into it.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13034-relapse/

Priest31kc
05-20-2009, 11:26 AM

yea thats not a great song by any means, I dont hate it, but I rarely listen to it.

Buck
05-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I was born with a dick in my brain yeah ****ed in the head,
my stepfather said that I sucked in the bed,
till one night he snuck in and said, "we're going out back- I want my dick sucked in the shed",
can't we just play with Teddy Ruxpin instead?,
"After I **** you in the butt get some head,
bust a nut get some rest",
the next day my mother said "I don't know what the ****s up with this kid,
the bastard won't even eat nothin he's fed,
he just hung himself in the bedroom he's dead",
"Debbie don't let that ****er get you upset,
go in there stick a ****in' cigarette to his neck,
I bet you he's faking it, I'll bet you I'll bet,
he probably just wants to see how upset you would get,
I'll go handle this of course unless you object?"
"I'll go **** his brains out if any's left in his head"

I love the beat of this song and I always catch myself rockin my head to the beat, then I realize what the lyrics are and stop myself because its not something you should rock your head to.

Are you talking about his live performance? He was on Last Friday and performed "We Made You" not "3 AM"

Rudy lost the toss
05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
I love the beat of this song and I always catch myself rockin my head to the beat, then I realize what the lyrics are and stop myself because its not something you should rock your head to.

Are you talking about his live performance? He was on Last Friday and performed "We Made You" not "3 AM"

It was definitely 3am. He must have performed multiple songs with Kimmel airing "We made you" on Friday and "3am" last night on the rerun

Buck
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
It was definitely 3am. He must have performed multiple songs with Kimmel airing "We made you" on Friday and "3am" last night on the rerun

Strange, 3 AM doesn't seem like a made for TV song, lol. I don't really like 3 AM either.

blaise
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=|Zach|;5767808]I personally love Kanye West. I know everyone is falling over themselves to make fun of him after an episode of South Park but the stuff he puts out is amazing.

QUOTE]

I agree that Eminem is a bit overrated. I think his best stuff is as good as anyone's, when he's good he's great, but I think there's always a lot of mediocre stuff mixed into most of his albums. It's funny though that you would say Kanye- talk about one of the most overrated ever, it's him.

Von Dumbass
05-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Strange, 3 AM doesn't seem like a made for TV song, lol. I don't really like 3 AM either.

He already has a music video for 3 AM.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HO9Vsw7a9I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HO9Vsw7a9I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Priest31kc
05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
He already has a music video for 3 AM.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HO9Vsw7a9I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HO9Vsw7a9I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I like the video but I dont think the song really fits it. This is a darker kind of video which is great to see, but this song doesn't sound dark at all.

Reaper16
05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I like the video but I dont think the song really fits it. This is a darker kind of video which is great to see, but this song doesn't sound dark at all.
Because nothing says "not dark at all" like a chorus about waking up to see that you've killed multiple people.

Demonpenz
05-20-2009, 04:27 PM
all these people talking about my boy....consider me a fat devin sava

Priest31kc
05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Because nothing says "not dark at all" like a chorus about waking up to see that you've killed multiple people.

im talking about it not sounding dark, the beat's not dark at all.

|Zach|
05-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Eminem
Relapse

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13034-relapse/

You might think calling Eminem "divisive" in 2009 would give him too much credit. After all, nearly every piece of promotion that's led up to the release of Relapse has caused the internet to stop whatever it was doing and form a unified chorus exclaiming how washed up it made the guy look. But did you know that after "We Made You" hit the airwaves, major networks ran segments on whether Eminem's "controversial" new video went too far? Let's think big picture here: In some corners of the indie community, people quibble about whether Wavves are overhyped, even though 99% of America have absolutely no ****ing clue who they are. Eminem is divisive the way BIG people are. Like A-Rod. Or George W. Bush.

Relapse makes it abundantly clear where the line gets drawn in 2009. It's appropriate that the title character from "Stan" has become web argot for "obsessive fanboy," because Eminem drives both Stan and stan alike crazy in the same exact way-- by completely ignoring them until it's too late to make amends. Star Trek isn't the only franchise reboot expected to do big numbers this summer-- instead of the 13-year-old who got into The Slim Shady LP and found that underground shit he did with Scam, Relapse is for that guy's little brother who's 13-years old right now, and Eminem is fully committed to upping the ante for today's desensitized sensibilities. Do a double-take when he rapped "I just found out my mom does more dope than I do"? This time, you get to untangle the knotty word thickets of "My Mom", wherein young Marshall gets bullied and tricked by you-know-who into an addiction to prescription pills. Recoil when he threatened to push a fat girl off the high dive in swim class? He's now murdering his cousin in a tub and drinking the bathwater. Cringe at Eminem advocating roofies at a kegger? Get ready for the term "felching" to enter the public consciousness as Eminem gets anally raped by his stepfather in a tool shed. Got all that? Congrats, you're now four songs into Relapse.

It's smart for Em to revert to the shock tactics of his glory days-- Encore was a Chinese Democracy/HIStory-style catastrophe of self-exile with no real exit strategy. Though saddled with a terribly awkward rhythm that Eminem thankfully ignores, "Underground" finds him laying waste to a murderer's row of horror movie franchises with focused, devilish glee. If Relapse were Eminem in Michael Myers mode, it would be fantastic, but instead he's gone Mike Myers or even Robin Williams, subjecting us to "wacky" accents and a delusional sense that he still has a grip on what's edgy.

Favoring a voice more staccato and pinched than ever, Eminem jacks off to Hannah Montana, hunts Lindsay Lohan for sport, sings about Valium in Auto-Tune, clowns Jessica Simpson, and raps a verse in character as Christopher Reeve. Much like The Love Guru, it's so painfully unfunny that you can't even bother to act offended. And then there's "Bagpipes From Baghdad". As with much of the record, you have to get past your initial inclination to absolutely not give a shit about a deader than dead topic, but when Eminem spits poison at Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, he comes off as so annoying and misguided that you end up taking Mimi's side. On "If I Had", Em rapped that he was "tired of hearing people say they're tired of hearing me rap about drugs." He begins "My Mom" by rapping "I know people are tired of hearing about my mom," before rattling off one of the record's many choruses that are catchy in the way all grating but effective hooks are-- "my mom loved Valium and lots of drugs."

As for the singles, well, they're still here, but fortunately lacking any visual component. As easy as it is to ride Eminem for such sub-Jackie Harvey cultural mockups, it's possible to argue in his defense that instantly dated references have been part of the package since day one (Spice Girls, Tom Green, etc.). Truth is, the tracks where Eminem turns on himself usually end up carrying the water, and it's no different on Relapse: "Deja Vu" explains in exhaustive, darkly comedic detail how he managed to disappear in a cocktail of nearly every available intoxicant for the past Olympiad before summarizing, "See, me and you, we almost had the same outcome, Heath." Immediately after, it feels like Relapse hits something of a stride with "Beautiful", the "what do I think of success? It sucks" rant, succeeding despite clichés both metaphorical (if you're doing "woe is me," pick "tears of a clown" or "walk in my shoes," not both) and musical.

It's been easy to rag on the musical aspect of Eminem's recent output, and the mere fact he's working with Dr. Dre is seen as cause for celebration (the entirety of "Old Time's Sake" is great). But ever since "In Da Club" (and probably because of it), Dre has treated production like a test run for his very expensive headphones, concerning himself with only the most inert, stainless steel sounds. But you don't have to be an audiophile to find fault with the music here-- just a person who has a passing familiarity with Dre's post-2001 output. Relapse can be an intermittently thrilling sonic experience until you realize everything sounds like a variation of "What's the Difference", "If I Can't", or even ****ing "30 Something". Granted, Eminem can overpower any beat by sheer force of will, but would it hurt for it to at least sound fun?

Which is really the reason I can't truly dig Relapse, even with all the temptation to do so: When Eminem's on ("Underground", "Must Be the Ganja")-- and he is more often than he's been since 2002-- he can put you in an awfully forgiving mood. Sure, the singles end up being the worst tracks, and it's chocked with filler and has almost no sense of sequencing, but that's the case with all of his albums. Eminem's always been able to manipulate not only his alter egos but his public persona, but here it feels more forced than ever-- as though, as The Onion once quipped about a past-his-peak Marilyn Manson, Em's going door to door trying to shock people. Sure, it's great to have the guy back, if only due to the fact that if we get to ignore him for the next four years. But it'll be on our terms, not his.

— Ian Cohen, May 19, 2009

blaise
05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't want to quote that whole thing from Zach, but I agree with a lot of that. I read something from Eminem a few weeks ago saying something like, "I thought 'should I really be cracking on these people (Lohan, Hannah Montana and Mariah), and then I was like, hell yeah, that's what I do'." As if there's any risk or daring in taking shots as Jessica Simpson or Mariah Carey. They're national punchlines. Like, do you really think you're raising the bar by going after targets that every hack comic at open mic night does? Because that's all you're doing. It's like when some rock band or punk band acts like they're shocking the world by denouncing George Bush. It's like, no- that's what I would expect. That's not new. It might sound good, it doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not shocking anyone. It's not fresh in any way.

Reaper16
05-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Pitchfork, just like Rolling Stone and Spin and every other major music media source that happens to love "indie" rock & hipster bands above other genres, puts too much of an emphasis on the lyrical content of an album. Lyrics are literally the least important part of a song, probably because you can quote a lyric but not a musical phrase in a way that will make sense to the reader. I mean, Jesus, there is only one entire paragraph dedicated to non-lyrical content in that entire review.

Demonpenz
05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Pitchfork, just like Rolling Stone and Spin and every other major music media source that happens to love "indie" rock & hipster bands above other genres, puts too much of an emphasis on the lyrical content of an album. Lyrics are literally the least important part of a song, probably because you can quote a lyric but not a musical phrase in a way that will make sense to the reader. I mean, Jesus, there is only one entire paragraph dedicated to non-lyrical content in that entire review.

Radiohead could armpit fart into a mic and it would get 5 stars

blaise
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM

I wouldn't say lyrics are the least important part of a hip hop song, I'd say it's the most important. It's a musical style built on one guy with a turntable and one or two other guys rapping.

Reaper16
05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't say lyrics are the least important part of a hip hop song, I'd say it's the most important. It's a musical style built on one guy with a turntable and one or two other guys rapping.
Lyrics are of much greater importance in hiphop than other genres, granted. But that overwhelming focus on lyrics seems to be prevalent through all reviews from places like Pitchfork. The bad reviewers there, anyway.

But I didn't see any through examination of Em's flow, his cadences, the way his delivery interacts with the beats... these are musical subjects entirely fit to be discussed in a music review.

Priest31kc
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM

I think its all personal preference. Im the opposite, I think the beat, the music, is more important than the lyrics. If the beat sucks, I can't listen to it, I just cant get into it. But Im not saying Im just gunna listen to some wack rapper over a great beat, because I can't do that either. If the beat's that great Ill try and get the instrumental. Its why I'm such a big Three 6 Mafia/Hypnotize Minds fan, because their beats are the best IMO. BUT, im also a big Tech N9ne fan, and I listen to him because of his flow and lyrics. It just depends I guess but if the beat sucks, I cant listen to it.

88TG88
05-21-2009, 06:16 PM
The cover is so sick. Anyone know who did it ?

ChiefsFan4Life
05-24-2009, 07:39 PM
I've gone through this album a few times and I love it. The only songs that are "unlistenable" for me are Medicine Ball and Insane

Halfcan
05-24-2009, 07:41 PM
why he gets lauded for his lyrics is beyond me

Pablo
05-24-2009, 07:53 PM
why he gets lauded for his lyrics is beyond meUh, because they're really fucking good maybe?

stevieray
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM

angst needs a face....

beach tribe
05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I know I shouldn't even post in this thread, but I just have to say that I haven't been able to relate to rap since about age 22. Seems like a novelty to me. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be. But I would imagine that 90% of all rap albums sold are bought by teenagers.

I do not hate it, nor do I judge people who listen to it, I'm just stating that I don't relate to it. No biggie, don't get pissed. I say that because a 20 year old kid that we hired to be a bar back damn near wanted to fight me because I told him that Lil wayne doesn't say a damn thing that pertains to me or my life. dude was seriously offended, and I thought to myself, damn, dude is mad over this? I guess he's the perfect audience for a rapper.

KcMizzou
05-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I know I shouldn't even post in this thread, but I just have to say that I haven't been able to relate to rap since about age 22. Seems like a novelty to me. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be. But I would imagine that 90% of all rap albums sold are bought by teenagers.

I do not hate it, nor do I judge people who listen to it, I'm just stating that I don't relate to it. No biggie, don't get pissed. I say that because a 20 year old kid that we hired to be a bar back damn near wanted to fight me because I told him that Lil wayne doesn't say a damn thing that pertains to me or my life. dude was seriously offended, and I thought to myself, damn, dude is mad over this? I guess he's the perfect audience for a rapper.It's all just about personal taste. I enjoy 90's rap (Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, Snoop) Em, Tech N9ne, Atmosphere... but if someone disagrees, it's certainly not worth getting upset over. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

KcMizzou
05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I've gone through this album a few times and I love it. The only songs that are "unlistenable" for me are Medicine Ball and InsaneOdd, I don't care for Medicine Ball either, but consider Insane fantastic. The lyrics make me cringe, (gotta wear headphones if the boys are up), but the flow is amazing.

blaise
05-24-2009, 10:48 PM

I do not hate it, nor do I judge people who listen to it, I'm just stating that I don't relate to it. No biggie, don't get pissed. I say that because a 20 year old kid that we hired to be a bar back damn near wanted to fight me because I told him that Lil wayne doesn't say a damn thing that pertains to me or my life. dude was seriously offended, and I thought to myself, damn, dude is mad over this? I guess he's the perfect audience for a rapper.

I still like rap. I think it went through a sucky period there for a while though when 90% of the songs were just variations of rhymes about Cristal and rims on your car. In my head I think of it as the Cristal Era. Just totally crap music there for a while.

kysirsoze
05-25-2009, 04:23 AM
I've gone through this album a few times and I love it. The only songs that are "unlistenable" for me are Medicine Ball and Insane

Odd, I don't care for Medicine Ball either, but consider Insane fantastic. The lyrics make me cringe, (gotta wear headphones if the boys are up), but the flow is amazing.

Hmm. I actually thought medicine ball was great. I love the beat and I always like when Em addresses the people who are offended by his lyrics.

Now that I've had a chance to listen to the album more, I am astounded at how much I like it. I feel like he takes the listener on a journey song to song more than he ever has. It has the fucked up content of SSLP, the relentless flow and intensity of MMLP and the production value and theatricality of Eminem Show. I am not quite ready to say it's better than MMLP (His best to date IMO) but I might be soon. I gotta give the newness time to wear off and I will probably listen to MMLP through again.

The best part to me is how I don't have a track I don't love. We Made You is the weakest for me but, as others have stated, it's his pop song and it's still better than 99.9% of "hip hop" passed off by radio stations. All of his other albums had a song or two that I would almost always skip through. On this one, I love them all. I couldn't be more happy with the effort and I CANNOT WAIT till relapse two later this year.

PunkinDrublic
05-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I think a lot of his popularity is due to his ability to capture the right tone of voice to invoke emotion in keeping with the particular song, whether it's sarcarsm or humor or anger or despair. Lil Wayne does a good job of this too.

Think of the tone his voice takes on over the course of Lose Yourself, it's almost like 'The Weirding Way' in Dune.

That, and who the **** comes up with

Well I'm back (*Batman Noise*) fix your bent antenna
Tune it in and then I'm gonna enter
Into the front of your skin like a splinter

Little Wayne is the most overrated rapper of all time. I don't understand why so many people kiss this guys ass he fucking sucks. I like a lot of hip-hop but Little Talent is way overhyped.

PunkinDrublic
05-25-2009, 12:37 PM

Probably because he's one of the few mainstream hip hop artists not rapping about guns, having money and bitches or doing some stupid new dance craze. I feel bad for truley talented rappers who get overlooked because they don't put on a minstral show and wear gold teeth and rap about the same shit that almost every mainstream rapper is rapping about.

Halfcan
05-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Uh, because they're really ****ing good maybe?

house blouse

out reroute

couch mouth

seems very grade school

cat hat that sat fat

Halfcan
05-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Probably because he's one of the few mainstream hip hop artists not rapping about guns, having money and bitches or doing some stupid new dance craze. I feel bad for truley talented rappers who get overlooked because they don't put on a minstral show and wear gold teeth and rap about the same shit that almost every mainstream rapper is rapping about.

:clap: I will give him props for that-he is not trying to sell some thug lifestyle-seems like a regular kid.

Reaper16
05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
house blouse

out reroute

couch mouth

seems very grade school

cat hat that sat fat
:spock:

Pablo
05-25-2009, 02:35 PM
house blouse

out reroute

couch mouth

seems very grade school

cat hat that sat fatYeah. God knows Eminem is the only lyricist/songwriter to ever utilize rhyming verse. It's fucking crazy, I tell ya.

On a related note, Roger Waters is an incredibly blah lyricist. Just look at how all of these verses rhyme!

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

See what sort of sense that makes?

luv
05-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Yay! I have a friend "providing" me a copy.

thurman merman
05-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Little Wayne is the most overrated rapper of all time. I don't understand why so many people kiss this guys ass he ****ing sucks. I like a lot of hip-hop but Little Talent is way overhyped.

totally agree. he is terrible.

Baby Lee
05-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Little Wayne is the most overrated rapper of all time. I don't understand why so many people kiss this guys ass he fucking sucks. I like a lot of hip-hop but Little Talent is way overhyped.

I'm not kissing his ass, I'm point out that he is one of the others adept at supplementing his flow with timbre, angry, defiant, jovial, sad, you hear it in his tone as well as the words.
If you want to equate it with Dane Cook's talent for presentation over substance, I'll grant that willingly, but it is a talent, A talent, not the final word on rap talent, A talent.

Thig Lyfe
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Pitchfork, just like Rolling Stone and Spin and every other major music media source that happens to love "indie" rock & hipster bands above other genres

Rolling Stone is hipster? :spock:

KcMizzou
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Rolling Stone is hipster? :spock:Rolling Stone gave it 4 out of 5 stars....

So how did Eminem spend his time off? Drugs, mostly. "I fall in bed with a bottle of meds and a Heath Ledger bobblehead" doesn't even begin to cover it. Relapse, Em's first album in nearly five years, is studded with brand names, but not Lexus or Cristal — more like Lunesta, Ambien, Vicodin, Valium, NyQuil and other brain candy that helped Marshall Mathers turn himself into a zombie, before he got clean last year. It's hard to keep all the drugs on this album straight, but that's probably the point. Relapse is like a hip-hop version of Richard Pryor's Live on the Sunset Strip, the classic 1982 stand-up flick where Pryor makes the audience squirm through jokes about freebase addiction and setting himself on fire. If it's stronger than his last album, Encore, that's because Em's doing what he does best: cleaning out his closet. And there's more psychotic shit piled up in there than ever.

The power of Relapse comes from Em aiming his beat-downs at his truest target, himself. By letting Dr. Dre take over the low-end-funk production, and rhyming about things he actually cares about, he comes up with a more painful, honest and vital record than anyone could have expected at this late date, up there with The Eminem Show or maybe even better. The album it recalls most is his 1999 major-label debut, The Slim Shady LP, from the stripped-down Dre beats to the self-lacerating wordplay. There are no familiar pop samples from Aerosmith or Martika or Heart, no rock choruses, no guest cameos beyond a couple of verses from Dre and 50 Cent. Instead, Em gets down to business, because this guy's got real problems. (None of which he blames on his ex-wife, Kim, who isn't even mentioned — whew.) "What's a beer?" he asks at one point. "That's a devil in my ear/I been sober a fucking year/And that fucker still talks to me, he's all I can fucking hear."

"Déjà Vu" is a brutally funny confessional, unpacking the whole gruesome story of where Em's been lately: addiction, rehab, overdoses, ambulances, hiding his pills from his daughter in video boxes. When he went to the hospital in December 2007, it was reported as pneumonia, but Em admits, "That whole pneumonia thing/That was baloney/Was it the methadone, ya think?" When Hailie finds him passed out in his car with a bag of Three Musketeers bars, he makes excuses and pops more pills: "It's 12 noon, ain't no harm in self-inducing a snooze/What else is new?/Fuck it/What would Elvis do in your shoes?" He's always made a joke out of identifying with Elvis, but the joke stings a little more now that he's passing out cold on the bathroom floor.

Sobriety hasn't brightened his personality, that's for sure. "Insane" begins, "I was born with a dick in my brain/Fucked in the head," and goes on to elaborate a disturbing tale of childhood molestation. "My Mom" takes on a familiar object of scorn, but with the claim that his mom is exactly who he's turned into, drugging himself into a stupor in front of his kid. In the singsong chorus, he chants, "I'm on what I'm on/Because I'm my mom." At the end, he mutters, "Sorry, Mom. I still love you, though." (Good Lord, is he doing Step Nine? Because that will take him at least three or four entire albums!)

Just as Richard Pryor looked miserable taking audience requests for corny old Mudbone routines, there are songs here where Em flogs himself through the motions to rehash same-old shtick. The singles "Crack a Bottle" and "We Made You" are two of the weakest cuts, recycling beyond-stale boasts and celebrity disses. (Who were Amy and Blake, again?) In phony woman-baiting and gay-hating rants like "Stay Wide Awake," he sounds like an old retired hockey coach yelling at the kids on his lawn. In moments like these, he sounds unsure of himself, trying to guess what people expect from him, and that eager-to-please sweat doesn't suit him. It's no coincidence that the one where he raps about killing Lindsay and Britney is called "Same Song and Dance," as if even he realizes how played-out these jokes are — the only shocker is that he left out Nicole Richie.

He sounds more honestly screwed up in "Beautiful," his touching attempt at an inspirational ballad, singing, "Don't let them say you ain't beautiful" in his gawky voice. On the other end of the emotional spectrum, there's "Old Time's Sake," where Dre drops tasteless lines about getting Em stoned again. "Medicine Ball" goes back to cracking mean jokes about poor old Christopher Reeve — but in one of the album's funniest moments, Em turns himself into Reeve so the late, great Superman can get the last word in from beyond the grave: "Eminem, I'm coming to kill you/I always hated you and I still do."

There's a lot of hate on Relapse. Eminem hates himself for getting sober only slightly less than he hates himself for doing drugs in the first place. He hates himself for being famous, for hating his mom, for taking so long to make this album. (In one skit, his old nemesis Steve Berman taunts him, "You hide out in Detroit for almost five years while the music industry melts the fuck down? You know how many people lost their jobs because of your fucking vacation?") All that negative energy helps him fight the temptation to become comfortably numb. If you hate Em, he probably wouldn't blame you. But Relapse is reason to be glad he's still around.

Reaper16
05-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Rolling Stone is hipster? :spock:
The reviews sure are. Not to the degree of, say, Spin, but they love the same shitty bands that Pitchfork and Spin do.

Reaper16
05-25-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm not kissing his ass, I'm point out that he is one of the others adept at supplementing his flow with timbre, angry, defiant, jovial, sad, you hear it in his tone as well as the words.
If you want to equate it with Dane Cook's talent for presentation over substance, I'll grant that willingly, but it is a talent, A talent, not the final word on rap talent, A talent.

Lil Wayne is fucking ass.

Thig Lyfe
05-25-2009, 10:50 PM
I get my reviews almost exclusively from A.V. Club. Pitchfork is too snobby and Rolling Stone is too mainstream. A.V. Club tends to take into account what an artist is trying to accomplish as well as an album or movie's wider context (such as genre and target audience) but is still far more likely to approve of a TV On The Radio album or David Wain movie than a Katy Perry album or Michael Bay movie.

Priest31kc
05-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Lil Wayne is ****ing ass.

Lil Wayne is awful. He sounds like a dying cat. I hate him.

I still dont understand why all these young folks love him so much, they think he's cool, when I think he's just plain weird. He sucks, one of the most overrated rappers ever.

Reaper16
05-25-2009, 11:53 PM
I get my reviews almost exclusively from A.V. Club. Pitchfork is too snobby and Rolling Stone is too mainstream. A.V. Club tends to take into account what an artist is trying to accomplish as well as an album or movie's wider context (such as genre and target audience) but is still far more likely to approve of a TV On The Radio album or David Wain movie than a Katy Perry album or Michael Bay movie.
I likes me some A.V. Club. Well, they don't cover metal or prog rock, which combined is probably 60% of what I listen to. But aside from that, I like them a lot.

KC native
05-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Lil Wayne is awful. He sounds like a dying cat. I hate him.

I still dont understand why all these young folks love him so much, they think he's cool, when I think he's just plain weird. He sucks, one of the most overrated rappers ever.

I can't stand lil wayne. That being said, he has a million dollar delivery. His mic presence is hard to deny. I've said it before (not on here) that if he ever got a shred of lyrical content he would be amazing but until then he's a novelty act sold to suburban kids.

Baby Lee
05-26-2009, 07:37 AM

I think they overhated Katy Perry a bit, it's fluff, but it's not the apocolypse. But I guess that's what you get for trying 'lesbianism' on like a hat.

kysirsoze
05-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Don't read a lot of reviews there but I did just read their review of relapse and I'd say they did not adhere to your claim bolded above. Not that I can't understand some of the issues they took (Pop-culture references that have run a little thin, etc.) but I feel like they grabbed a reviewer who has never like Eminem and was just drooling at the chance to blast his new effort.

Sure Em fell back into some of his old ways, but that was his point. He has come through his recovery and, in some ways, brought his music full circle to the days of Slim Shady LP. He hasn't gone the route of most rap superstars where all he raps about is the old days and how none of the new rappers respect him. Thank God.

I do, however, hope he takes a step in a new direction with relapse 2 or these same critics will begin to be validated.

Demonpenz
05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
i like to read music critics, but i don't really care what they say

Taco John
05-26-2009, 04:40 PM

That's what the three wolves shirt is all about, my man...

kysirsoze
05-26-2009, 04:46 PM

I guess that's true for me up to a point. It always irritates me, however, when someone gets paid to listen to an album once and get on a soapbox. Had he posted that review on here it would be different. (Of course I still would have flamed him.:D)

CHENZ A!
05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I can't stand lil wayne. That being said, he has a million dollar delivery. His mic presence is hard to deny. I've said it before (not on here) that if he ever got a shred of lyrical content he would be amazing but until then he's a novelty act sold to suburban kids.

"Suburban kids" never even listened to Wayne until Lollipop. When I was at the Katt Williams show last summer the week Wayne's CD came out, every car in the lot was bumping Carter III. I've been a fan of his for a long time, and it was more fun when he wasn't so mainstream, but dude puts out good music. If you've never listened to any of his mixtapes, or songs of his that don't get radio play, you should check them out.

As for Eminem... He is on some Brotha Lynch shit on this album, and I'm just not a big fan of that stuff. Listening to this album was like watching a movie that I have no desire to ever see again, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a listen. There may be like 4 songs out of the almost 20 that I wouldn't just skip. I like the serious/angry Eminem just fine, but not the pop/goofy, or the guy who raps about his mom all damn day, I'm done with it. I heard he is putting out his next CD right away though, and I'll give it a listen when it comes out too.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 08:55 PM

DMX.

(Who Eminem couldn't touch with a 100ft talent-stick).

KcMizzou
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
DMX.

(Who Eminem couldn't touch with a 100ft talent-stick).Jesus...

(I mean, I've enjoyed a few of his songs, but... )

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Jesus...

(I mean, I've enjoyed a few of his songs, but... )

Rappers rarely impress me. He impresses me. He's got the best voice for the genre since Chuck D., his DJ/Producer knows how to nail a hook, and his lyrics and cadence of delivery are light years beyond his peers.

The guy is raw perfection.

KC native
05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
DMX.

Seriously? DMX had one good album (the first one) and then a few good songs. Beyond that his artistic contribution is no where near the level of Eminem. Em has come with compound rhyme schemes from the jump off whereas DMX had the bark.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Seriously? DMX had one good album (the first one) and then a few good songs. Beyond that his artistic contribution is no where near the level of Eminem. Em has come with compound rhyme schemes from the jump off whereas DMX had the bark.

Seriously.

luv
05-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Rappers rarely impress me. He impresses me. He's got the best voice for the genre since Chuck D., his DJ/Producer knows how to nail a hook, and his lyrics and cadence of delivery are light years beyond his peers.

The guy is raw perfection.

I can think of five rappers I like better than DMX right off the top of my head.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I can think of five rappers I like better than DMX right off the top of my head.

I'm sure you can. Like anything else, it's a matter of personal taste.

KC native
05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
"Suburban kids" never even listened to Wayne until Lollipop. When I was at the Katt Williams show last summer the week Wayne's CD came out, every car in the lot was bumping Carter III. I've been a fan of his for a long time, and it was more fun when he wasn't so mainstream, but dude puts out good music. If you've never listened to any of his mixtapes, or songs of his that don't get radio play, you should check them out.

As for Eminem... He is on some Brotha Lynch shit on this album, and I'm just not a big fan of that stuff. Listening to this album was like watching a movie that I have no desire to ever see again, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a listen. There may be like 4 songs out of the almost 20 that I wouldn't just skip. I like the serious/angry Eminem just fine, but not the pop/goofy, or the guy who raps about his mom all damn day, I'm done with it. I heard he is putting out his next CD right away though, and I'll give it a listen when it comes out too.

Oh, trust me I'm very familiar with everything lil wayne does. I'm in TX and they play his shit non-stop down here (and have been doing that ever since I got here in 99-00). He's made some good songs and like I said he has a million dollar delivery but he has zero lyrical content. His gangsta claims ring hollow with me because he's been rapping since he was 13. He went through some shit as a child but for him to act like a gangsta is bullchit. Basically he's fake as fvck. He started claiming blood recently but he's not a real blood (can't remember which documentary as there are a few recent ones regarding the bloods and crips I was watching but they were talking about that).

I would say his closest comparison is 2Pac (who wasn't gangsta until he had death row and Suge behind him). Tupac was one of the fakest gangstas of all time but he was a poet and had an amazing ability to get you to feel his music (primarily through his delivery which was perfect IMO). He was underrated as a lyricist though. If you go back to Me Against the World (which is his best IMO) his lyricism really stands out on that album.

Before anyone gets all pissy, I'm not saying lil wayne could even hold Tupac's jock but for bio and comparison purposes it was the best comparo.

FTR I don't listen to the radio. I have Sirius and a massive music collection (90% of it was bought originally on CD because I don't like the audio loss from mp3's and I like having a physical copy).

Demonpenz
05-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Em is good and all, but DMX started with steven segal in a movie

luv
05-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Listening to it for the first time. I like it.

Pablo
05-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Em is good and all, but DMX started with steven segal in a movieAnd DMX did coin the phrase "If you think I'm funny, then you don't owe me money..it's about to get ugly, fuck it dog, I'm hungry".

Pure perfection.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 10:10 PM
And DMX did coin the phrase "If you think I'm funny, then you don't owe me money..it's about to get ugly, fuck it dog, I'm hungry".

Pure perfection.

"Won't the real goofy honky please stand up, please stand up, please stand up".

KcMizzou
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Em is good and all, but DMX started with steven segal in a movieYeah, but Em got Brittany Murphy.

Priest31kc
05-27-2009, 01:07 AM

I can think of 50.

Priest31kc
05-27-2009, 01:09 AM
eh.....not a big fan of DMX at all. He had one good album, Its Dark and hell is hot, and thats it. I rarely listen to it. But really man, Eminem couldnt touch DMX?? I think its the other way around, but if you like DMX better thats cool with me, its all personal preference.

Raised On Riots
05-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Two tunes Eminem and a million others could never create or touch:

(And go with the HQ)

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zC14xVFiqYk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Q7nEho7zKk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Katipan
05-27-2009, 07:26 AM
eh.....not a big fan of DMX at all. He had one good album, Its Dark and hell is hot, and thats it. I rarely listen to it. But really man, Eminem couldnt touch DMX?? I think its the other way around, but if you like DMX better thats cool with me, its all personal preference.

That's the album with Sunshine on it?

****ing bad ass.

Only thing with DMX besides the fact that he is 4'9 is that ALL of his songs are angry and rough and talk about life on the streets. At least badasses like Tupac interjected some love and hope occasionally. Eminem talks about damn near everything.

blaise
05-27-2009, 08:52 AM
DMX.

I like It's Dark and Hell is Hot, but to say Eminem can't touch DMX's talent? If Eminem and DMX had a freestyle battle my money would be heavily on Eminem.

Priest31kc
05-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I like It's Dark and Hell is Hot, but to say Eminem can't touch DMX's talent? If Eminem and DMX had a freestyle battle my money would be heavily on Eminem.

Not only that, not only is he a better rapper, but his MUSIC is better. Everyone compares how great they can spit it, but you gotta compare their music. Nas is a great rapper, but his music SUCKS IMO because he chooses horrible beats. Eminem's music is so much better than DMX's.

Raised On Riots
05-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I thought some of you's people might have a leg up on me hip-hop-wise, even though I've been playing music since I was 10.

I was wrong, and I can not read any more of this.:D

Initiating Operation Bail-Out in 5...4...3...2...1...(Unsubscribe!)

Pablo
05-27-2009, 09:52 AM
SPM?????

Bwahahahaha.

Holy fuck DCS.

"Do you sleep with your wife, or with your nine milli?...Wiggi wiggi wiggi wiggi wiggi wiggi wiggi".

Pablo
05-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Not only that, not only is he a better rapper, but his MUSIC is better. Everyone compares how great they can spit it, but you gotta compare their music. Nas is a great rapper, but his music SUCKS IMO because he chooses horrible beats. Eminem's music is so much better than DMX's.Eh, Eminem chooses some pretty fucking bad beats at times too. At least for my tastes, but his lyrics are always the saving grace, even if the beat is sub-par. Of course, I don't like the cartoony/goofy Eminem songs nearly at all. Sure, some of it's funny, and that's nice, but gimme The Marshall Mathers LP any day. I prefer that version of Em.

Archie F. Swin
05-27-2009, 10:00 AM
mad props to Em

and while were talkin raps greatest lyricists....when it comes to flow....I look to the old school: Eric B and Rakim

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/29KvnMY413s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29KvnMY413s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Reaper16
05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
mad props to Em

and while were talkin raps greatest lyricists....when it comes to flow....I look to the old school: Eric B and Rakim

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29KvnMY413s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
Hells. Yes.

Priest31kc
05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Eh, Eminem chooses some pretty ****ing bad beats at times too. At least for my tastes, but his lyrics are always the saving grace, even if the beat is sub-par. Of course, I don't like the cartoony/goofy Eminem songs nearly at all. Sure, some of it's funny, and that's nice, but gimme The Marshall Mathers LP any day. I prefer that version of Em.

True, every artist has a shitty beat here and there, but mostly Eminem's got Dr.Dre on his side, and while I think Dre is a bit overrated as a producer, he's still one of the best. And its not just the beat that makes his music good, its everything, the concept, the hook, what he's talking about. DMX just doesn't do anything for me. And yes I hate the goofy Eminem too, Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP are classics.

KC native
05-27-2009, 11:38 AM

(And go with the HQ)

Damn, if you're going to go with gangsta rap at least choose a good one (BTW SPM is a punk ass child molester)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8N7onB4MKH0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8N7onB4MKH0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And DMX could never touch Big Pun (despite his limited catalog)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4_MCBR_e4ZI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4_MCBR_e4ZI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Taco John
05-27-2009, 02:33 PM

(And go with the HQ)

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zC14xVFiqYk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Hahahahaha! ROFL

Is this some kind of a joke? Wiggi wiggi wiggi wiggi wiggi? WTF?

PunkinDrublic
05-27-2009, 04:35 PM

I meant to say mainstream music press like Rollingstone and Spin that kiss Little Talents ass. WTF does supplementing his flow with timbre mean. He sucked when he was with cash money millionaires and he sucks now. There is nothing about Little Talent that stands out. I hear his garbage and he sounds like every other unoriginal POS rapping about bling, rims, hustling and being the flyest G at the club.

Demonpenz
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I always have to chuckle when I hear the regular crunk horseshit at party's clubs, then all the sudden em comes on and people are dancing to

my mom loves valuum and lots of drugs

KcMizzou
06-09-2009, 10:58 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RDTWCGxSNjE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RDTWCGxSNjE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
06-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I thought there was a little love in that not so PC moment for reeves LMAO