PDA

View Full Version : Electronics The declining quality of consumer electronics

cdcox
05-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I've noticed that the quality of consumer electronics is on the decline.

I've gone through two $40 DVD players in the last year. Both failed. Before that I purchased a state of the art player in 2003 that went out after about 4 years of use.

I bought a $50 VCR that was junk from day 1. I bet we didn't get 100 hours of play on it before it started eating tapes.

I've gone through 2 DVR's lately. The Tivo worked pretty good for about 4 years before it failed. It was replaced by a DirecTV DVR, that is defective.

Regular DirecTV receivers have failed, too.

I sort of understand the cheap stuff failing, but it's not like you can buy a $200 non-Blue-Ray DVD player anymore. It's like they took the technology form 5 years ago and are making that unit super cheap, but unreliable. I'd pay $100 for a reliable unit that would last for 10 years. But that's not available.

Even components that cost around $200 don't seem to last more than a few years.

I know that electronics can be built to last. I have a stero receiver that I bought in 1978 that still works. I have a rear projection TV system that is going on 7 years without problems (I know one of the color guns is going to fail any time now). The TV I bought before that lasted 20 years of everyday service, and still works. My laptops have been pretty reliable in heavy use.

Really pisses me off.

Douche Baggins
05-17-2009, 02:07 PM
My sister has gone through like three iPods. I'm still rocking a Nomad Jukebox from like, seven years ago.

StcChief
05-17-2009, 02:41 PM
My old Onkyo receiver from 1980....tank works like a dream..... The newer integrate 5.1 one well not so much. Powerstrike didn't help.

I still think it's hit or miss, old one actually has less playing time on it.

Douche Baggins
05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Cars are this way, too.

BucEyedPea
05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Chinese junk. Yes I've noticed the decline....on my own dvd etc. Including printers.

KCChiefsMan
05-17-2009, 03:00 PM
cheaper $hit at higher prices = more profits and that's all that matters.

BCD
05-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I have a 14 yr old Magnavox TV in my bedroom that still works perfectly.

BucEyedPea
05-17-2009, 03:12 PM
My sister has gone through like three iPods. I'm still rocking a Nomad Jukebox from like, seven years ago.

I've haven't seen anything like that from ipods. She must be doing something.

Saulbadguy
05-17-2009, 03:14 PM
It's because the Japanese stopped making electronics.

Saulbadguy
05-17-2009, 03:15 PM

:rolleyes:

Douche Baggins
05-17-2009, 03:16 PM

iPods are shit. I could probably knock someone out with my Nomad and it would be OK.

Guru
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
It's called "keep the customers coming back" Nothing is built to last anymore because they want you buying more.

If a product fails on me, I am much less likely to buy from that manufacturer again though. I'll be waiting a lot longer to buy when the next gen of consoles comes, that is for certain. At least from M$.

SithCeNtZ
05-17-2009, 05:09 PM
The quality hasn't changed, you just have much more opportunity to see something fail and the product failures stand out much more in your mind than the successes.

KCFalcon59
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
It's called "keep the customers coming back" Nothing is built to last anymore because they want you buying more.

If a product fails on me, I am much less likely to buy from that manufacturer again though. I'll be waiting a lot longer to buy when the next gen of consoles comes, that is for certain. At least from M$.

If you wait long enough the kids can buy it themselves. Me thinks that is a good idea. :thumb:

Guru
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
If you wait long enough the kids can buy it themselves. Me thinks that is a good idea. :thumb:With the money you gave them right? heh

I was just thinking I may not even have to worry about the next xbox and PS4 but then remembered we will still have 3 more kids at home. :deevee::)

Saulbadguy
05-17-2009, 05:40 PM

The original NES (not the top loading one) was one of the most flawed pieces of electronics in history, due to a design flaw. The damn thing never worked right when it got older unless you fucked with it for a long time. Blinking red light, messed up graphics, etc.

Guru
05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
The original NES (not the top loading one) was one of the most flawed pieces of electronics in history, due to a design flaw. The damn thing never worked right when it got older unless you ****ed with it for a long time. Blinking red light, messed up graphics, etc.I never had a problem with mine. heh

Of course, I also sold it after 5 years. Who knows, the guy after me may have had problems.:D

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Cars are this way, too.

I believe you are incorrect. I have an 06 G6 with almost 75K on it and all I've had to do is oil, brakes, and tires.

The cheap cars are ass, but if you get off of the complete shit ass worth nothing echilon of cars, they are much more reliable than those of the early 90s.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I've noticed that some of the crap they put out now is shit. I've got a $40 DVD player that will crash soon. Very soon.

The only relatively high end electronics I have is my laptop, and it is fine. But I've heard a lot of horror stories about LCD TV's, XBoxes, and the like.

I agree that it pisses me off. I'm with Guru, I will try to find something good rather than buy another POS.

Douche Baggins
05-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I believe you are incorrect. I have an 06 G6 with almost 75K on it and all I've had to do is oil, brakes, and tires.

75,000?

ROFL

Tell me if it's still running at 250k.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 06:47 PM
75,000?

ROFL

Tell me if it's still running at 250k.

Based on the cars I owned from the early 90s, they would have had multiple problems by 75K.

And any "recent" cars would not have 250K on them.

Why are you being dense?

Douche Baggins
05-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Based on the cars I owned from the early 90s, they would have had multiple problems by 75K.

I'm not talking about the 90s. I'm talking about cars from the 70s and 80s.

Some of them were wonderfully manufactured, made to last. They weren't made of plastic. They weren't stuffed full of electronics.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Some of them were wonderfully manufactured, made to last. They weren't made of plastic. They weren't stuffed full of electronics.

You must be completely full of shit. Cars from the 70's and 80's were horrible. Absolutely positively horrible. Over the life of the car there may have been fewer overall problems, but that is ONLY because there were no features to break. Those bastard cars came off the damn assembly line leaking oil. You could easily overhaul them because they were simple, but that was both costly and a pain in the balls.

I PROMISE you that cars now are of higher quality than those made in the 70s and 80s.

Guru
05-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Some of them were wonderfully manufactured, made to last. They weren't made of plastic. They weren't stuffed full of electronics.and you could do your own work on them. Todays cars are getting more and more computer dependent that you practically shouldn't bother even opening the hood.

Basileus777
05-17-2009, 08:02 PM
It's like they took the technology form 5 years ago and are making that unit super cheap, but unreliable.

That's exactly what they are doing. They can't sell a $150 DVD player anymore, so they are using cheap parts to keep the manufacturing costs down so they can make a profit it on at $40. It's what often happens in consumer electronic, as technology gets older and sells for less, companies do everything they can to continue making money on it by manufacturing it cheaply.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 08:04 PM
and you could do your own work on them. Todays cars are getting more and more computer dependent that you practically shouldn't bother even opening the hood.

This point I will not argue with. The problem is you HAD to work on them all the time.

Guru
05-17-2009, 08:09 PM
This point I will not argue with. The problem is you HAD to work on them all the time.Never had a problem with my VW or Toyota. :evil:

cdcox
05-17-2009, 08:11 PM
That's exactly what they are doing. They can't sell a $150 DVD player anymore, so they are using cheap parts to keep the manufacturing costs down so they can make a profit it on at $40. It's what often happens in consumer electronic, as technology gets older and sells for less, companies do everything they can to continue making money on it by manufacturing it cheaply.

When I bought my $40 DVD nine mos ago, it was essentially the same technology as the $200 DVD that I had bought in 2003. When I went to but the $40 one, had originally picked out one around $100 that had upgrading capability, but the sales person told me that with my TV, it wasn't worth the difference. So I went with the $40 Toshiba (good brand name). I've taken one back on warranty and the the new one (owned about 2 mos) tracks poorly. I have to bang on it to get it to track right. It's just irritating. Toshiba has damaged their name to sell me a DVD that they made less than $10 on. If it had been $60 I would have bought it any way and would be much happier if it was reliable. Stupidity.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Never had a problem with my VW or Toyota. :evil:

Your ancient ass ones?

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
When I bought my $40 DVD nine mos ago, it was essentially the same technology as the $200 DVD that I had bought in 2003. When I went to but the $40 one, had originally picked out one around $100 that had upgrading capability, but the sales person told me that with my TV, it wasn't worth the difference. So I went with the $40 Toshiba (good brand name). I've taken one back on warranty and the the new one (owned about 2 mos) tracks poorly. I have to bang on it to get it to track right. It's just irritating. Toshiba has damaged their name to sell me a DVD that they made less than $10 on. If it had been $60 I would have bought it any way and would be much happier if it was reliable. Stupidity.

My $40 one was Phillips. Same thing. It has held up, and is so far fulfilling what I bought it for (cheap and small), but it is damaging to their brand. Hopefully it is profitable as fuck.

Guru
05-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Your ancient ass ones?72 VW super beetle and 82 Toyota Tercel SR5. Only got rid of them because I wanted to upgrade. Other than that they never gave me any problems.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 08:22 PM
72 VW super beetle and 82 Toyota Tercel SR5. Only got rid of them because I wanted to upgrade. Other than that they never gave me any problems.

No shit? You must be the exception. While the 70's and 80's toyota's were more reliable than GM, Ford, and Chrysler cars, they were typically riddled with problems also (As I understand...I'm not that old, like *ahem* you :D). My aunt had a late 70s Honda accord wagon thingy and it was broken ALL the time. In fact, her husband bought two so they could have some parts.

Guru
05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
No shit? You must be the exception. While the 70's and 80's toyota's were more reliable than GM, Ford, and Chrysler cars, they were typically riddled with problems also (As I understand...I'm not that old, like *ahem* you :D). My aunt had a late 70s Honda accord wagon thingy and it was broken ALL the time. In fact, her husband bought two so they could have some parts.I've generally been pretty fortunate with the vehicles I choose. The Plymouth Voyager was my only major problem but at least I got 94k miles and 9 years out of it before it happened.

I only hope my being fortunate continues.

UteChief
05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I generally buy Sony electronics and have really never had a problem. I have had a couple Pioneer electronics die on me both a DVD player and a car stereo.

BCD
05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
The original NES (not the top loading one) was one of the most flawed pieces of electronics in history, due to a design flaw. The damn thing never worked right when it got older unless you fucked with it for a long time. Blinking red light, messed up graphics, etc.Yeah, the one released circa 1986 was a nightmare of a design flaw. Push in and dowm - Junk.

BCD
05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
This point I will not argue with. The problem is you HAD to work on them all the time.Not really. I had some cars from the 70s. They all ran great. Sure, I had to replace plugs and wires on them. Stuff like that. But, generally, they were quite reliable. I got these cars when they were well over 100,000 miles. My first car was a '78 Chrysler Cordoba. Big car. Had a 360 in it. Damn that thing would smoke the tires right off. :D

BCD
05-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Never had a problem with my VW or Toyota. :evil:My sons grandmother had an old Rabbit with over 300,000 miles.

Douche Baggins
05-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Not really. I had some cars from the 70s. They all ran great. Sure, I had to replace plugs and wires on them. Stuff like that. But, generally, they were quite reliable. I got these cars when they were well over 100,000 miles. My first car was a '78 Chrysler Cordoba. Big car. Had a 360 in it. Damn that thing would smoke the tires right off. :D

Cordoba!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vIL3fbGbU2o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vIL3fbGbU2o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guru
05-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Not really. I had some cars from the 70s. They all ran great. Sure, I had to replace plugs and wires on them. Stuff like that. But, generally, they were quite reliable. I got these cars when they were well over 100,000 miles. My first car was a '78 Chrysler Cordoba. Big car. Had a 360 in it. Damn that thing would smoke the tires right off. :DDid it get the RRoD?;)

Dayze
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
"Planned Obscolesence"

Miles
05-18-2009, 05:53 PM
The original NES (not the top loading one) was one of the most flawed pieces of electronics in history, due to a design flaw. The damn thing never worked right when it got older unless you ****ed with it for a long time. Blinking red light, messed up graphics, etc.

Damn those things were terrible. I remember how each of my friends seemed to have various methods to get the thing working.

Fat Elvis
05-18-2009, 06:02 PM
"Planned Obscolesence"

People are next...

http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/logans-run.jpg

Baby Lee
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Knocks on Wood

I don't know if it's careful product choice, care taken or dumb luck, but I don't get all the complaints people have with so many consumer electronics.

The only things that have crapped out on me are the super cheapo, Sorny/Mitsubishoy/Hewland Packlard type stuff.

The tube TV I bought in 92 and RPTV I bought in 2001 both continue to work like a charm. I think I did have a VCR go out at one point, but I'd gotten years and years out of it. My Minidisc Deck [not the portable] has given me a headache on a couple of occasions with the insertion mechanism breaking down, but I was able to take it apart and repair it.

I did have a spindle/bearing go out on my dryer [after 10 years of use], but $50 in replacement parts and a couple of hours work fixed that.

Heck I don't even recall ever getting a BSOD, and I've had 10 'different' PCs in the past 18 or so years [ie, major upgrades in either MOBO or CPU, or both. I still have HD, Zip Drive, scanner and floppy from 4-6 computers back].

If there is one thing I've had headaches with, it's CD/DVD burners, seems like the lasers have a shelf life. Seems like I'm replacing one every 18 months or so. But even then it's a $30 investment.

Guru
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Knocks on Wood

I don't know if it's careful product choice, care taken or dumb luck, but I don't get all the complaints people have with so many consumer electronics.

The only things that have crapped out on me are the super cheapo, Sorny/Mitsubishoy/Hewland Packlard type stuff.

The tube TV I bought in 92 and RPTV I bought in 2001 both continue to work like a charm. I think I did have a VCR go out at one point, but I'd gotten years and years out of it. My Minidisc Deck [not the portable] has given me a headache on a couple of occasions with the insertion mechanism breaking down, but I was able to take it apart and repair it.

I did have a spindle/bearing go out on my dryer [after 10 years of use], but $50 in replacement parts and a couple of hours work fixed that.

Heck I don't even recall ever getting a BSOD, and I've had 10 'different' PCs in the past 18 or so years [ie, major upgrades in either MOBO or CPU, or both. I still have HD, Zip Drive, scanner and floppy from 4-6 computers back].

If there is one thing I've had headaches with, it's CD/DVD burners, seems like the lasers have a shelf life. Seems like I'm replacing one every 18 months or so. But even then it's a $30 investment.I don't completely disagree with you. But you are obviously "fix it" minded. Several of us here are as well. My self included. That doesn't change the fact that there are other thing I would rather be doing with my time than fixing something after 4-5 years of use when it should be lasting much longer than that. Sometimes the time and expense you can put into repairing things just isn't worth it over just replacing it.

googlegoogle
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
computer power supplies are usually cheap as crap and the caps break down fast.

Projection TV's also break down because the IC's are cheap.

Taco John
05-18-2009, 11:32 PM
planned obsolesence.

Guru
05-18-2009, 11:59 PM
planned obsolesence.Pretty much every thing is obsolete as soon as it hits the shelves these days.

Miles
05-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Knocks on Wood

If there is one thing I've had headaches with, it's CD/DVD burners, seems like the lasers have a shelf life. Seems like I'm replacing one every 18 months or so. But even then it's a $30 investment.

I had a pretty good run going with only computer related things dieing which usually happend near the end of their practical life span. Then my surround processor died last summer. Still worked out well enough buying a receiver as to use as a processor but it was the first time I had a good piece of equipment die on me.

L.A. Chieffan
05-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Damn those things were terrible. I remember how each of my friends seemed to have various methods to get the thing working.

pushing game down and to the left while pressing the power button simultaneously seemed to work the best.

Saulbadguy
05-20-2009, 06:52 AM
To me, a piece of electronic equipment breaking is usually a blessing. I can then justify purchasing a newer, shinier model of said equipment.

Guru
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
To me, a piece of electronic equipment breaking is usually a blessing. I can then justify purchasing a newer, shinier model of said equipment.Even after a year though?

Saulbadguy
05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Even after a year though?

Eh - maybe a year and a half :) ...

Obvious exceptions include things like video consoles, hell i'd be pissed if my PS3 broke considering it is backwards compatible and you can't buy those through regular retail channels these days.

Guru
05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I would like to get at least 4 years out of small electronics. Video players and records and such. 7-8 years out of large electronic appliances. Preferably more.