PDA

View Full Version : Life Son of a ****ing bitch

Bob Dole
05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Not 24 ****ing hours after finishing the benefit concert/auction/poker run/bike show for a fallen friend who was murdered by a careless driver while on his motorcycle, Bob Dole gets the phone call that he just lost another one to some careless bitch who ran a stop sign and slaughtered Bob Dole's friend, Heath.

RIP brother.

Bwana
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Damn dude, sorry to hear that.

DeezNutz
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry, Bob Dole.

I hope your friends are in peace and that you're able to find yours amidst difficult times.

Delano
05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a hell of a rough stretch, Bob Dole.

Good thoughts for Heath's family and friends.

Fucking shitty drivers.

KcMizzou
05-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Holy shit. Condolences, man... tough run.

Best wishes to both families.

petegz28
She was probably on the phone or texting

Sorry to hear it man...that is too bad

bevischief
WTF?

Buehler445
Fuck, Bob Dole. That is rough.

Condolences.

FAX
05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Good Lord. I don't know what to say, Mr. Bob Dole. Condolences to and prayers for all affected - particularly you. I worry that these things come in threes. Take care. Jesus.

FAX

gblowfish
05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hard to lose a friend to a senseless accident.

luv
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Sorry to hear it.

FAX
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I am reminded once again that life is precious. A old and dear friend of mine and one of the finest guitarists I ever met in my life dropped dead from a massive coronary not long ago. Was preparing to go out for the evening and simply fell stone dead while getting dressed.

I have no idea why horrible things like this happen, but we need to count each and every day as the most important in our lives, Mr. Bob Dole. I'm sad for you, man.

FAX

Skip Towne
05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hang in there.

KCChiefsMan
05-18-2009, 08:32 PM
man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that bitch gets what she deserves. IMO it needs to be a lot more difficult to get a drivers license. With all the careless people that drive I'm surprised I haven't been in a wreck in the 13 years I've been driving. knock on wood

Bob Dole
05-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Oh, and Bob Dole is sitting alone in a hotel room 5 hours away from the remaining friends on the Fucking Shitty-ass Driver's Hit List because he has an all-day meeting he has to attend tomorrow morning at 8:30.

JOhn
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear this Bob.

Does remind us, like others have said, that life is all to short.

pr_capone
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey Bob, sorry to hear about your loss. Seems like this has been a bad 45 days for bikers everywhere. We lost 2 brothers in our Topeka chapter within the past 45 days... one hit by a driver and another hit by lightning coming back from the 100 mile run.

Keep your chin up and your eyes on the road. Asshole drivers seem to be everywhere.

Rain Man
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
That stinks. And probably for all parties, too. It'll ruin several lives.

I just had a project get delayed last week because one of the people involved was killed in a bicycle accident. We are indeed fragile creatures.

Phobia
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
It really sucks, dude. So sorry to hear it. But most the friends your age are going to start dropping like flies of natural causes any day now.

Bob Dole
05-18-2009, 08:51 PM
It really sucks, dude. So sorry to hear it. But most the friends your age are going to start dropping like flies of natural causes any day now.

Heath was 31.

Baconeater
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM

I don't doubt that one fucking bit, I'm so fucking sick of the idiots that are MORE GODDAMNED CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR FUCKING PHONE CALL than WATCHING THE FUCKING ROAD LIKE THEY SHOULD BE. Everyone of you motherfuckers that do this shit have about frayed my last fucking nerve.

Oh, and I am sorry for Bob Dole's loss.

Dayze
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
RIP Heath; and sorry for your loss Bob 'Damned' Dole.

hopefully he went out the same way he/we feel when riding the 'cycle; "Free".

How ever I check out, I want 'that' feelin when I do.

Phobia
Yeah, that was a shot at you. Poor timing.

I remember you talking about Heath. Who knows, I may have even met him while down there. It's awful news. I'm sure the whole town is heartbroken. RIP Heath.

cdcox
Wow, sucks. My condolences. It's really hard to lose a friend like that.

Mr. Flopnuts
Damn, Bob Dole. That's terrible. I'm sorry to hear it.

pr_capone
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I don't doubt that one ****ing bit, I'm so ****ing sick of the idiots that are MORE GODDAMNED CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR ****ING PHONE CALL than WATCHING THE ****ING ROAD LIKE THEY SHOULD BE. Everyone of you mother****ers that do this shit have about frayed my last ****ing nerve.

Oh, and I am sorry for Bob Dole's loss.

I had a kid ****ing around with her phone start swerving into my lane a few weeks ago.

I kicked a ****ing dent in her door panel and get her attention real quick.

Skip Towne
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey Bob, sorry to hear about your loss. Seems like this has been a bad 45 days for bikers everywhere. We lost 2 brothers in our Topeka chapter within the past 45 days... one hit by a driver and another hit by lightning coming back from the 100 mile run.

Keep your chin up and your eyes on the road. Asshole drivers seem to be everywhere.

Yes, asshole drivers are everywhere but bikes are really hard to see.

joesomebody
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
God bless. Know he died doing what he loved. My uncle has always told me that if he dies on his bike, know that he went the way he wanted and was happy.

It doesn't make these senseless deaths any easier though.

booger
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
RIP Heath

Don't know what to say Bob Dole. Sorry to hear about your friends.

Bob Dole
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM

How about stop signs?

Dayze
05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I had a kid ****ing around with his phone start swerving into my lane a few weeks ago.

I have done that on many occasions; typically when approaching a merging car on the hwy at the same speed etc; where you're in their blindspot and they juts 'come on over' w/out even looking.

Thankfully the sportbike has enough juice to romp it and pass; my other cruiser not so much so I had to use other means of 'notification' - boot to quarterpanel.

:shake:

pr_capone
05-18-2009, 09:00 PM

If my wife, who IMHO is not all that great of a driver, can avoid hitting a bike... so can most other people.

Too many people concerned with talking on the phone, sending text messages, playing around with their friends, or fucking with the radio and not paying attention to the road.

I understand that accidents happen... but I would think that the majority of car vs motorcycle accidents could have been avoided. Not saying that bikers are always the innocent party mind you.

Baconeater
05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
How about stop signs?
Well...if one has their head in their ass they can be...:shrug:

Mr. Kotter
05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I really think the whole texting and cell phone thing is....making rear-ending and killing bikers a much more frequent accident-waiting-to-happen. What a bunch of shit....

I mean, those...."Hey, what you doin'?" and "Talkin' to you. Wassup?" Or "Hey hon, you need anything from the store?" and "Well...let me check. I know we need milk....and maybe toilet paper....cold medicine for Junior...and I know a couple of other things...hold on...."

Meanwhile, dickless is juggling a Big Gulp and a Bean Burrito from the Gas Stop (just to hold him over until dinner, ya know)....and that, combined with the cell call to "sweetie"....how can you blame him for plowing over the poor bastard on the bike?

What a bunch of fuggin' chit? RIP BobDole's friend....maybe getting a new bike isn't such a hot idea after all. Holy crap.

Condolences BobDole. This really sucks. :shake:

RJ
05-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Bob Dole, sorry for loss and so sorry for your friend. That's way too young to go. As was mentioned, so many lives will be harmed by this tragic accident.

bishop_74
05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Sorry bro.

DaFace
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Fuck man, sorry to hear that. :(

Ari Chi3fs
05-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Remember the good times and keep him in your memory... RIP

stevieray
05-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Damn..RIP.

Just makes no sense.

Nzoner
05-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Damn dude sorry to hear.

HemiEd
05-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Oh, and Bob Dole is sitting alone in a hotel room 5 hours away from the remaining friends on the ****ing Shitty-ass Driver's Hit List because he has an all-day meeting he has to attend tomorrow morning at 8:30.
Hang tough Bob, sorry to hear of this tremendous loss.

Coach
05-19-2009, 04:42 AM
Sorry to hear Bob.

3rd&48ers
05-19-2009, 04:47 AM
this is exactly the type of thread that has convinced me to sell mine... I am sorry you lost a friend

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/1177523139.html

Pioli Zombie
05-19-2009, 04:48 AM
I had a kid ****ing around with her phone start swerving into my lane a few weeks ago.

Ok, this is driving me crazy. If you are both driving how did you kick her car?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kerberos
05-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Careless gawd damned drivers. :shake: "I didn't see them" is NOT an excuse. It's an admission that I wasn't paying attention to the Friggin road.

Riding motorcycles as a kid I have respect for anyone that rides on on the street. I look both ways twice or three times to make sure I didn't miss something.

Sorry for the loss Bob. Losing a friend is always hard ..... Losing them to an accident because of a careless driver just plain sucks ass.

My condolences.

CoMoChief
05-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Sorry to hear that. Women really shouldnt be allowed behind a wheel of a car. I dont know of one woman driver thats even remotely good. Even though some will say "I'm an excellent driver" ........uhh no bitch....you're not.

pr_capone
05-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Ok, this is driving me crazy. If you are both driving how did you kick her car?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was on a motorcycle.

Lzen
05-19-2009, 07:25 AM
That sucks, Senator. We will keep your friend in our thoughts and prayers. Kind of scary for me since I just started riding a few weeks ago. I am very cautious and weary of idiot drivers. They are everywhere.

...maybe getting a new bike isn't such a hot idea after all....

I wouldn't go that far. Just try to be more vigilant.

Sorry to hear that. Women really shouldnt be allowed behind a wheel of a car. I dont know of one woman driver thats even remotely good. Even though some will say "I'm an excellent driver" ........uhh no bitch....you're not.

You are retarded.

Donger
05-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Horrible. I now wear a helmet when I ride after years of not. I hate it, but I hate it less than not seeing my kids grow up.

seclark
05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
bad deal...i had a close call last weekend. jerkoff in front of me decides to pull in the "exit only" drive w/o using any signal. then he stopped completely w/his ass end out in the road. i swerved around him, but mrs.sec sad her knee came within a couple inches of his suv.

thoughts and prayers for those involved, mr. dole.
sec

Iowanian
05-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear it.

kindra68
05-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Please people! Stop talking on your cell phones! It can wait. Stop fooling around with the radio; the song will be off in less than 2 minutes. Your hair and makeup look fine! You can bump all the knuckles you want with your “Boy” when you get to wherever you are going. The fry you “lost” can be found when you stop at your destination, or hell just take a damn minute and eat at Burger King! Give the kids a ziplock of cheerios, cleaning the car is a hell of a lot easier to clean up than the lives of the loves ones of that person you just killed, all because you were too damn busy to pay attention to the damn road!
We are all responsible for our own actions on the road and “I did not see anything” is NOT an excuse!!
For your carelessness you have taken away a father, a brother, a son, a boyfriend, a friend and so much more than you will ever know, or much less think about.
I hope your life is filled with many sleepless nights of tossing and turning and weeping.
May your god have mercy on your soul. Because I know I wouldn’t.

Frazod
05-19-2009, 08:47 AM
My condolances, Scott. That's terrible. :(

Katipan
05-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Such a waste.

I'm an excellent driver.

ct
05-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Damnit man, very sorry for the loss of your friends. Even more sorry for all the f-in idiots out there we all have to deal with.

ct

raybec 4
05-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Such a waste.

I'm an excellent driver.

Like, Rainman style?

Katipan
05-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Like, Rainman style?

Tiger woods or Kyle Bush has nothing on me.

Rainman could kick my ass.

Jilly
05-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Such a waste.

I'm an excellent driver.

I missed you yesterday

Katipan
05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I missed you yesterday

I had a day. You would have been very helpful.

I did have to wait for the Patriot Riders on Sunday. I remember thinking how beautiful all 200+ bikes were. Now I feel bad because I didn't even wonder who they were riding for.

Demonpenz
05-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Please people! Stop talking on your cell phones! It can wait. Stop fooling around with the radio; the song will be off in less than 2 minutes. Your hair and makeup look fine! You can bump all the knuckles you want with your “Boy” when you get to wherever you are going. The fry you “lost” can be found when you stop at your destination, or hell just take a damn minute and eat at Burger King! Give the kids a ziplock of cheerios, cleaning the car is a hell of a lot easier to clean up than the lives of the loves ones of that person you just killed, all because you were too damn busy to pay attention to the damn road!
We are all responsible for our own actions on the road and “I did not see anything” is NOT an excuse!!
For your carelessness you have taken away a father, a brother, a son, a boyfriend, a friend and so much more than you will ever know, or much less think about.
I hope your life is filled with many sleepless nights of tossing and turning and weeping.

actually for people who work out of their car it can't wait but whatever meh

Brock
05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry, that happened to my dad.

patteeu
05-19-2009, 09:57 AM
That sucks. Sorry to hear it, Bob Dole.

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Actually, it can wait....Demon; they can pull the fugg over. People worked "out of their cars" before they started killing people because they were distracted by their cell phones.

kindra68
05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
So the five minutes that it takes you to inhale a greasy burger is more important than the life of a person? A friend, a father, a brother, a boyfriend? Nobody thinks of these things. But when you put it like that, it puts a different light on it, don’t you think? I’m not saying that I have never done it before. I’ll admit it, I have, and I never even thought about it. Hell I was one of the worst about going thru the drive-thru and snatching out the hot fries before I ever left the parking lot. I’m a bad person and I’ll admit it. One eye on the prize and one on the road.
I guess I’m still trying to wrap my head around all of it. I’m sorry to come off like a bitch. Quitting time is going to be a bit harder today. Heath worked a few blocks down from my shop and I wave whenever I see him outside. This weekend will be a bit harder because I know, for a fact, I will not see his smiling face. And it breaks my heart.

Demonpenz
05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Actually, it can wait....Demon; they can pull the fugg over. People worked "out of their cars" before they started killing people because they were distracted by their cell phones.

Well this isn't the thread to argue, but you want people to drop their productivity in the way this economy is going? riiiiiiiight, good luck

Demonpenz
05-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Well this isn't the thread to argue, but you want people to drop their productivity in the way this economy is going? riiiiiiiight, good luck

btw you can't pull over in chicago

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
btw you can't pull over in chicago

LMAO

You got me there. Heh.

FishingRod
05-19-2009, 10:33 AM
That Sucks Bob. Sorry man.

Buzz
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
RIP. Sorry BobDole

3rd&48ers
05-19-2009, 11:55 AM

I pull double trailers for FEDEX and you would not believe the number of people who pass me a day texting, going off the pavement, swerving... most of the time it's young women with a carseat in the back with a kid in it or empty...

Wonder is that msg is important enough to risk killing your kid or yourself and not coming home to that kid who needs her ever again?

DenverDanChiefsFan
05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
RIP Heath - sorry for your friend BobDole. It is rough out there. I had an asshole come out of a side street across 3 lane into my lane on Thursday. Then the prick had the nerve to flip me off.

Bob Dole
05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Horrible. I now wear a helmet when I ride after years of not. I hate it, but I hate it less than not seeing my kids grow up.

Which brings to light the wonderful media bias.

The newspaper article makes specific mention of his lack of helmet, but fails to mention that a helmet wouldn't have prevented the broken neck that lead to his death.

Simply Red
05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
sorry, man. very... :(

Gracie Dean
05-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Sorry to hear it man...that is too bad

yea, cause all us women text and drive at the same time

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
yea, cause all us women text and drive at the same time

Not trying to start anything, but from my personal observations....texting seems to be more popular with the penis-less of the general population.

I'm just sayin'..... :shrug:

:hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2009, 10:46 PM

The newspaper article makes specific mention of his lack of helmet, but fails to mention that a helmet wouldn't have prevented the broken neck that lead to his death.

Understood, Scott. Please tell me, though....you ARE aware of the very clear and unmistakeable "advantage" of riding with a helmet, as opposed to not riding with one. The stats, in this case, don't lie....

Although, I agree...in the egregious cases you've "witnessed" the last few weeks...it wouldn't have mattered.....

pr_capone
05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Understood, Scott. Please tell me, though....you ARE aware of the very clear and unmistakeable "advantage" of riding with a helmet, as opposed to not riding with one. The stats, in this case, don't lie....

Although, I agree...in the egregious cases you've "witnessed" the last few weeks...it wouldn't have mattered.....

I ride without a helmet.

I would rather check out than burden my wife with a drooling mess that she is forced to take care of for the rest of my "life".

She knows this and understands it.

In fact, she will start riding this summer and the same goes for her.

Baconeater
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
On the flip side, some motorcyclists are dumbasses. Just tonight as I was driving home, one was entering the freeway, and I was going to get off at the next exit. I saw him back there and turned on my signal to get in the right lane while he was well behind me, luckily I waited to see what he was going to do before I got over, because instead of allowing me to get over and jumping into the traffic lanes behind me, the idiot decided to blow by me on the right and then jump lanes. That's the kind of stupidity that also gets people killed.

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I ride without a helmet.

I would rather check out than burden my wife with a drooling mess that she is forced to take care of for the rest of my "life".

I know the ABATE arguments....very well. I understand, we are all endowed with free will.

I will not begrudge you for your choice, brother pr_capone; but, please, don't begrudge me for mine....

FWIW, I salute/greet all bikers...not just the helmeted ones I meet on the road. :thumb:

On the flip side, some motorcyclists are dumbasses. Just tonight as I was driving home, one was entering the freeway, and I was going to get off at the next exit. I saw him back there and turned on my signal to get in the right lane while he was well behind me, luckily I waited to see what he was going to do before I got over, because instead of allowing me to get over and jumping into the traffic lanes behind me, the idiot decided to blow by me on the right and then jump lanes. That's the kind of stupidity that also gets people killed.

And, unfortunately, it's the kind of stupidity that gives all bikers....a bad "name" with many people.

OTOH, I'd be willing to bet the average age of such bikers is 25 years or less; the "seasoned" riders and vets....we'll happily give you access to your lane, as we swap lanes with you.

:thumb:

Pioli Zombie
05-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Oh no you didn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coach
05-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Not trying to start anything, but from my personal observations....texting seems to be more popular with the penis-less of the general population.

I'm just sayin'..... :shrug:

:hmmm:

I think it's more popular with the younger generations of people, regardless of males or females, IMHO.

Radar Chief
05-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Sorry to read that Mr. THISBobDole.

I didn’t know you ride. :thumb:
I wear a full helmet religiously since an accident in ’96 and it has saved me since then.
I had a little get off in ’00 where I slid, tumbled and a golf ball sized rock split my helmet when I bounced off the top of it. Had I not been wearing my helmet I’d probably post even more gibberish than I currently do. ;)

Radar Chief
05-20-2009, 07:28 AM
I ride without a helmet.

I was watching the qualifying for the 500 GP bikes at Hockenheimring in Germany, a track famous for it’s long straights where bikes even back in 1990 were running past 200 MPH, when Eddie Lawson pulled into the pits to change tires. Exiting the pits leads to one of the longest straights and Eddie quickly got his Yamaha up to speed, but when he sat up and grabbed the brakes for the first turn it revealed that someone had made a mistake replacing the front wheel and the brake pads literally fell out of the calipers. He headed off track in excess in excess of 190 MPH without brakes. I thought for sure he was dead, he slid forever after laying the bike down, but he raced the next day having suffered only minor bruises and scrapes.
The proper safety gear will save your life.

Lzen
05-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I, too, am a believer in helmets. All those years of riding bicycles made me realize how important protecting your head really is. Now that I'm on a motorcycle in traffic, it is a definite must.

Not sure how one comes to the conclusion that having a helmet would make you a vegetable. I would think a helmet would keep you from being a veg. Or did I misinterpret pr_capone's post?

Fairplay
05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Very sorry for the loss of you fellow bikers.

Defensive driving mode is on 100 percent when you drive with idiots on the road.

My best to you.

Radar Chief
05-20-2009, 08:22 AM
I, too, am a believer in helmets. All those years of riding bicycles made me realize how important protecting your head really is. Now that I'm on a motorcycle in traffic, it is a definite must.

Not sure how one comes to the conclusion that having a helmet would make you a vegetable. I would think a helmet would keep you from being a veg. Or did I misinterpret pr_capone's post?

I think you read it right, that’s kind of an old justification for not wearing a helmet that I’ve been hearing since I was a kid hanging out with my parents and their “biker” friends back in the ‘70’s.

Donger
05-20-2009, 09:01 AM

I don't know what article you are referring to, but how do you know he would have still suffered a broken neck if was wearing a helmet?

Donger
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I didn’t know you ride. :thumb:
I wear a full helmet religiously since an accident in ’96 and it has saved me since then.
I had a little get off in ’00 where I slid, tumbled and a golf ball sized rock split my helmet when I bounced off the top of it. Had I not been wearing my helmet I’d probably post even more gibberish than I currently do. ;)

I'm an avid cyclist, as in road bicycle.

patteeu
05-20-2009, 09:03 AM

I assume he's talking about the subset of accidents where a helmet makes the difference between instant death (without a helmet) and severe brain damage (with a helmet). In that case, I'd personally prefer instant death. But of course that leaves out all the other accidents where the helmet makes the difference between death/severe damage (without a helmet) and minor injury or none at all (with a helmet).

Brock
05-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Honestly, I've never personally seen an accident where a helmet would have saved the guy's life. But I also don't want to be the guy whose family is being told "If he was wearing a helmet, you'd be talking to him now". So I always wear a helmet.

DJ's left nut
05-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I ride without a helmet.

I got driven into a median about 8 months ago by a jackass that didn't check mirrors, didn't flip a blinker, just came and came quickly (and kept going). I was right at his A-pillar with no shoulder so there was nowhere to go but down.

But/for the helmet I was wearing, I'd have been the drooling mess you are referring to. Hell, a simple bump helmet probably wouldn't have done any good, the impact was right at the temple and cracked the damn thing. It was a Shoei, so I didn't even get a headache (just some MFing wicked road rash and a very torn groin)

The #s don't lie, but to each their own.

Bob,

Sorry as hell to hear about your week, man. And what concerns me is that they are NOT going to get any better. This will go from a hobby to a survival sport in the next 15 years, I fear.

The cages get dumber daily. Just this season alone I've had to take it onto the shoulder twice when someone came over into my lane without looking. Fortunately the wreck I had last fall prepared me for it, I can recognize the assholes before they do it for the most part.

But people are going to get more distracted, not less. As more of the 'tweens' that have grown up in constant communication end up with drivers licenses, you're only going to have more idiots to avoid and they'll be worse than ever. Living in a college town is doubly dangerous for me because I know have the HS kids from that generation driving around town with the same general attention span.

I'm considering selling mine myself. The constant stream of ****wits is making it less and less fun for me out there. I've only been at it for 5 years or so, so it's not the lifestyle change it would be for you and I understand that, but this just hardly seems worth it anymore.

Good luck, man. Hope things head up for you soon.

Bob Dole
05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't know what article you are referring to, but how do you know he would have still suffered a broken neck if was wearing a helmet?

In many cases, the helmet is the cause of a broken neck. How the hell would something on top of your head keep your spine from snapping from the impact?

Radar Chief
05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
You can still die even with the proper safety gear but Jason Britton on Superbikes had a good point.
He was giving hints to a couple of young “stuntaz” when he pointed at the one without a helmet or any leather and said, “You need to gear up. The difference between you and him” pointing to another young “stuntah” that had a helmet and leather, “is if you go down you’re going to be nursing road rash for a week. If he goes down, he can straighten whatever is bent and be back up and riding that day.”

wild1
05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
why will someone will buy a leather jacket for a few hundred bucks and not wear a helmet? why buy and wear gloves, chaps, boots, whatever. because they don't want to see their hands or legs look like something from a horror movie, but they won't protect their head. makes no sense

my state is not a helmet state and you don't see very many people wearing them. i talk to a lot of riders and the base issue is, in my opinion almost always, that people don't think helmets look cool. when you peel away all the layers of rationalization that's all there is. you can justify anything to yourself that you want to. they identify or want people to identify them with the biker persona and they don't think helmets fit the template. you're 'supposed' to be wearing a bandana or nothing. that is what i see anyway.

my condolences to the friends of the person lost in this wreck. i think that as cars become more like living rooms, as they lock out more sound from the outside and have more distracting 'features', things have gotten a lot more dangerous.

Donger
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
In many cases, the helmet is the cause of a broken neck. How the hell would something on top of your head keep your spine from snapping from the impact?

Well, in this specific case, the helmet wasn't the cause of his broken neck. My condolences to you for your loss, but it seems clear that more injuries can be prevented by wearing a helmet than not.

Radar Chief
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
why will someone will buy a leather jacket for a few hundred bucks and not wear a helmet? why buy and wear gloves, chaps, boots, whatever. because they don't want to see their hands or legs look like something from a horror movie, but they won't protect their head. makes no sense

my state is not a helmet state and you don't see very many people wearing them. i talk to a lot of riders and the base issue is, in my opinion almost always, that people don't think helmets look cool. when you peel away all the layers of rationalization that's all there is. you can justify anything to yourself that you want to. they identify or want people to identify them with the biker persona and they don't think helmets fit the template. you're 'supposed' to be wearing a bandana or nothing. that is what i see anyway.

my condolences to the friends of the person lost in this wreck. i think that as cars become more like living rooms, as they lock out more sound from the outside and have more distracting 'features', things have gotten a lot more dangerous.

The wind on your face can feel pretty good, until that wind is carrying a big grasshopper, or horsefly, or bumblebee. Never mind those freak’n cicadas. Catch one of those in the middle of your face and you’ll never again question wearing a helmet.

wild1
05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
The wind on your face can feel pretty good, until that wind is carrying a big grasshopper, or horsefly, or bumblebee. Never mind those freak’n cicadas. Catch one of those in the middle of your face and you’ll never again question wearing a helmet.

i was hit by something on what would have been my eye/forehead area once that snapped my head back. i didn't get a good look at what it was, maybe a bolt or a rock or something. i would have at least had fractures and lost that eye, in my opinion, and that is only if i had managed to stay upright. i doubt that the get-off at 65mph would have gone well either. you are talking about weeks in the hospital if you make it there, medical expenses, permanent disfigurement... but since i was protected i just kept on going.

bogey
05-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately, life for bikers has changed. Motorists have way to many distractions these days. JMO, we can either accept that, or turn in to hamburger meat. I no longer drive the CA freeways like I used to. I am now ALL about defence. Not as fun, but still much more fuel efficient.

pr_capone
05-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I know the ABATE arguments....very well. I understand, we are all endowed with free will.

I will not begrudge you for your choice, brother pr_capone; but, please, don't begrudge me for mine....

FWIW, I salute/greet all bikers...not just the helmeted ones I meet on the road.
:thumb:

To each his own brother... I would never hold your opinions on this issue against you. :D

No, you read it right.

I don't want to live a life where my body is mangled beyond repair but my head is fine so I live the rest of my 50 years or so in either extreme constant pain or worse... unable to care for myself. I simply won't put my wife through that.

I think you read it right, that’s kind of an old justification for not wearing a helmet that I’ve been hearing since I was a kid hanging out with my parents and their “biker” friends back in the ‘70’s.

Basically yeah... read above :D

THIS

Unfortunately, life for bikers has changed. Motorists have way to many distractions these days. JMO, we can either accept that, or turn in to hamburger meat.

Acceptance of that fact ≠ wearing a helmet though. Being aware of your surroundings and keeping your bike in good condition will do more for an experienced rider than the false sense of security that a helmet provides.

I'm not knocking helmets or those who wear them... its simply a choice.

Radar Chief
05-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm not knocking helmets or those who wear them... its simply a choice.

:thumb: Same here, not knocking anyone that chooses not to wear a helmet, just that I personally feel nekid without one.

Oh, BTW....100.