PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Republican Rep. Hoekstra accuses CIA of cover-up

jAZ
05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/18/pelosi.torture/index.html

Rep. Pete Hoekstra, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, said Monday that if Pelosi's accusations are not true, she may need to step down.

"She made some outrageous accusations last week where she said that the CIA lied to her and lied systematically over a period of years. That is a very, very serious charge," Hoekstra said Monday on CNN's "American Morning."

"Either the CIA needs to be held accountable for their performance during this time or the speaker needs to be held accountable and be responsible for the actions and the statements that she made last week. One or the other is correct, one or the other is wrong," he said.

Hoekstra wants the notes from the CIA briefing in question to be declassified, as does Pelosi. The House speaker says the notes will show she wasn't told that techniques such as waterboarding were being used. Related: GOP wants Pelosi held accountable

ooops... wrong article.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/20/cia.coverup.charge/index.html

Republican Rep. Hoekstra accuses CIA of cover-up

Story Highlights

New report says CIA "withheld information" from investigators, Congress
Rep. Pete Hoekstra criticized "rogue" employees, called for new hearings
Hoekstra: Issue is at "heart of the American people's ability to trust the CIA"
Two Americans were killed when plane was shot down in Peru

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A top Republican lawmaker is accusing employees at the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency of blocking investigations into the downing of a missionary plane in Peru that killed two Americans in 2001.

Rep. Pete Hoekstra has called for a new hearing on the finding related to the downing of a plane in Peru.

Rep. Pete Hoekstra on Thursday criticized "rogue" CIA employees involved in a joint CIA-Peruvian anti-narcotics program of withholding information after declassification of a CIA report identifying "routine disregard" of safety procedures that led to the plane being shot down.

A 7-month-old girl and her mother died.

The comments come after a new internal report by the CIA's inspector general -- parts of which were released Thursday -- that said Congress and investigators were not given appropriate access to internal documents regarding the incident.

"This issue goes to the heart of the American people's ability to trust the CIA," the Michigan lawmaker said Thursday. "Americans deserve to know that agencies given the power to operate on their behalf aren't abusing that power or their trust."

Hoekstra, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, has called for new hearings into the incident and further declassification of findings.

The report identifies "sustained and significant violations of required intercept procedures" and found that the "agency incorrectly reported that the program complied with the laws and policies governing it."

CIA senior managers "withheld information" and "denied Congress, the NSC [National Security Council], and the Department of Justice access to these findings," the report says.

The Justice Department in February 2005 ended investigations into whether CIA officers lied to lawmakers and to CIA officials about the operation.

CIA Director Michael Hayden has reached no decision in regard to the recommendations contained in the report, said CIA spokesman Mark Mansfield.

Hayden recognizes the seriousness of the matter and is seeking input from an outside expert before making any decisions, Mansfield said.

A senior U.S. intelligence official said Hoekstra's comments are "puzzling and disappointing" and could be "perceived as political pressure."

Baby Lee
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
"Either the CIA needs to be held accountable for their performance during this time or the speaker needs to be held accountable and be responsible for the actions and the statements that she made last week. One or the other is correct, one or the other is wrong," he said.
Why do you lie so much you lying liar, jAZ?

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Why do you lie so much you lying liar, jAZ?

It's required of partisan shills. Frequently even. jIZ has a duty.

Donger
05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
You are attempting to equate Hoekstra's irritation with rogue CIA employees to Pelosi's sweeping condemnation of CIA?

orange
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I posted this a couple days ago but nobody tried to answer my question. Let's see if anyone can guess right now.

From a letter from a member of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, U. S. House of Representatives to President George W. Bush, May 18, 2006.

"I want to reemphasize that the Administration has the legal responsibility to "fully and currently" inform the House and Senate Intelligence Committees of its intelligence and intelligence-related activities. Although the law gives you and the committees flexibility on how we accomplish that (I have been fully supportive of your concerns in that respect), it is clear that we, the Congress, are to be provided all information about such activities. I have learned of some alleged Intelligence Community activities about which our committee has not been briefed. In the next few days I will be formally requesting information on these activities. If these allegations are true, they may represent a breach of responsibility by the Administration, a violation of law, and, just as importantly, a direct affront to me and the Members of this committee who have so ardently supported efforts to collect information on our enemies. I strongly encourage you to direct all elements of the Intelligence Community to fulfill their legal responsibility to keep the Intelligence Committees fully briefed on their activities. The U.S. Congress should not have to play "Twenty Questions" to get the information that it deserves under the Constitution.

I've shared these thoughts with the Speaker, and he concurs with my concerns. Regrettably, there are other issues which need to be discussed. What I've provided here are the most pressing. Thank you for your consideration of these items."

Can you name the author?

Link to letter (http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/20060709hoekstra.pdf)

jAZ
05-19-2009, 04:15 PM
You are attempting to equate Hoekstra's irritation with rogue CIA employees to Pelosi's sweeping condemnation of CIA?

I wasn't aware that I had made that extrapolation. Ah, I think I see your error. You are linking the other people's apparently incorrect assumptions with my thread title.

Donger
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I wasn't aware that I had made that extrapolation. Ah, I think I see your error. You are linking the other people's apparently incorrect assumptions with my thread title.

If that is not what you are attempting to do, fine. That's why I asked.

What point are you trying to make with this thread?

jAZ
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
If that is not what you are attempting to do, fine. That's why I asked.

What point are you trying to make with this thread?

That CNN reported that "Republican Rep. Hoekstra accuses CIA of cover-up".

Donger
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
That CNN reported that "Republican Rep. Hoekstra accuses CIA of cover-up".

Fascinating.

SBK
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Now there's some mental gymnastics. LMAO