PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Help on a car...

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
So I've got to get a new car... long story short, the 1999 Neon I have is belly up and will cost more to fix than I could sell it for. I need to get something relatively inexpensive, as I can't afford a car payment right now.

I've got my eye on a 1999 VW Jetta with 75K miles. From what I understand, it's one of the premium cars, leather interior, sunroof, etc.

The mechanic who has it right now says there's something wrong with it running - it has problems after running for about an hour, and it's at the VW dealership now.

Anyone had any experiences with the Jettas, and what did you think? How long do these things usually run?

I'm looking at spending about $3700 cash, with $1000 trade-in on a POS I got rid of a year ago.

What say you?

KCChiefsMan
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
hmmm, I'd might look into an early to mid 90's toyota, those things last forever.

Pestilence
05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda.

Mr. Krab
05-20-2009, 05:53 PM
antifreeze

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm looking at what I'm finding available... I have a mechanic in Missouri that I've purchased my last two cars from and I trust him a lot. Blue Book on the Jetta in good condition is $6500, and he'd be letting it go to me for his cost at the auction plus repairs.

Just wanting to know what the people her think of the Jettas. I've looked at Toyotas and Hondas, and I'm having a problem finding something in my price range that I feel has the kind of value I'd be willing to put into it right now.

Pestilence
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm looking at what I'm finding available... I have a mechanic in Missouri that I've purchased my last two cars from and I trust him a lot. Blue Book on the Jetta in good condition is $6500, and he'd be letting it go to me for his cost at the auction plus repairs.

Just wanting to know what the people her think of the Jettas. I've looked at Toyotas and Hondas, and I'm having a problem finding something in my price range that I feel has the kind of value I'd be willing to put into it right now.

Jettas are good cars as long as they were taken care of from the beginning.

kstater
05-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I'd have a hard problem buying a car that has a known engine problem.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Jettas are good cars as long as they were taken care of from the beginning.

Exactly. I was pretty picky on Carfax reports with the Accord I bought. Similar deal. I wanted one that had it's maintenance at the dealership so it would be reported. It took me a while, but it's worth it because they'll run forever if they're maintained properly.

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Wondering about that myself. But I know it's at the dealership now for repair. And I think it's still under warranty, but not sure for how much longer.

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Maybe I won't be able to find anything I'm satisfied with and can hold out for the 2006 Honda Shadow 750. :evil:

googlegoogle
05-20-2009, 06:09 PM
So I've got to get a new car... long story short, the 1999 Neon I have is belly up and will cost more to fix than I could sell it for. I need to get something relatively inexpensive, as I can't afford a car payment right now.

I've got my eye on a 1999 VW Jetta with 75K miles. From what I understand, it's one of the premium cars, leather interior, sunroof, etc.

The mechanic who has it right now says there's something wrong with it running - it has problems after running for about an hour, and it's at the VW dealership now.

Anyone had any experiences with the Jettas, and what did you think? How long do these things usually run?

I'm looking at spending about $3700 cash, with $1000 trade-in on a POS I got rid of a year ago.

What say you?

:hmmm::shrug:

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
That googlegoogle guy is pretty helpful.

BWillie
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd get a 1994 Toyota Tercel from an old lady from Texas

Bwana
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM

Without question.

It's like entering a hundred yard dash and giving the other guy a 50 yard head start. Nothing good is going to come of it.

bevischief
05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Go buy something off craiglists for $500 and call it good.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Buy a w124 Diesel Mercedes (87-94). They last forever.

Saul Good
05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
In your price range, I would look into a Nissan Altima.

Bwana
05-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Buy a w124 Diesel Mercedes (87-94). They last forever.

Mercedes is a decent ride, but the parts can be a bitch. (Stay away from an SL) Beats the hell out of a money pit SAAB.

TinyEvel
05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a 99 Passat, it's been a good runner, but the past three years, every timei take it in for a regular service, they come out and say it needs (bleh bleh) fixed and I NEVER get out of there for less than $1000.

For around $4000 I'd get a Toyota of the similar year or Honda, like these other guys have said.

VW's are a great car to own as long as they're still under warranty. The engine/drivetrain will go forever, but all the other stuff (water/fuel pump exhaust system, electrical/ignition system, small handles/knobs parts, suspension) will fail on a regular basis, based on my experience.

And if the engine is doing something funny NOW, stay away, stay far away.

Detoxing
05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
If u go honda, I would stay away from a civic unless ur buying it from an older couple. God knows what those ricer boys do to those things. And don't go out and buy a honda just cuz its a honda. Carfax that bitch and treat it like u would any other car.

As far as the jetta goes, I'd stay away from anyb car that a mechanic is trying to dump. If he's been working on it, he knows what's wrong with it. He's just trying to get back the money he lost from the customer not paying. And if he won't tell u, that means its serious.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2009, 05:31 AM
If u go honda, I would stay away from a civic unless ur buying it from an older couple. God knows what those ricer boys do to those things. And don't go out and buy a honda just cuz its a honda. Carfax that bitch and treat it like u would any other car.

As far as the jetta goes, I'd stay away from anyb car that a mechanic is trying to dump. If he's been working on it, he knows what's wrong with it. He's just trying to get back the money he lost from the customer not paying. And if he won't tell u, that means its serious.
Posted via Mobile Device

He bought it Tuesday at auction. He owns a tiny shop in Clinton. He's sold me my last two cars - a Saturn that I paid $2K for that I put 75,000 miles on it without a lick of trouble, and a Neon that my wife has owned for the past six years and put 100K miles on and just started giving us trouble about 6 months ago.

He's repaired my vehicles quite literally for half what other places charge. He's not a dealership. He's a guy that buys cars cheap, fixes them, and sells them. Normally he buys salvage titles that have no structural or engine damage.

I trust this guy. And he knows if he continues to treat me right he'll get me back as a customer for another car later on down the line, and he knows already that I've put my parents and my brother and SIL in touch with him.

Kerberos
05-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Aren't Jetta's a "Chick" car?

I am trying to imagine a guy driving around in a VW Jetta???? Almost like a guy driving around in a Miata.

Edit: My bad.... I just went and looked at one on Google images. Isn't there a VW that is pretty much a "Chick" car? Seems to me there was one that was a convertible?????

I'm with those that say stay away from a car with engine problems before you even buy it.

Just my.02

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2009, 05:49 AM

I am trying to imagine a guy driving around in a VW Jetta???? Almost like a guy driving around in a Miata.

Edit: My bad.... I just went and looked at one on Google images. Isn't there a VW that is pretty much a "Chick" car? Seems to me there was one that was a convertible?????

I'm with those that say stay away from a car with engine problems before you even buy it.

Just my.02

Chick car works... it's for the wife. She's a chick. :D

EyePod
05-21-2009, 06:18 AM
hmmm, I'd might look into an early to mid 90's toyota, those things last forever.

Even a 99 or 98 camry/corola. Just make sure that you have one over about 90,000 miles. The water pumps go on those and that's the main cost that late in the game with those cars as it's so hard to get at.

chiefforlife
05-21-2009, 07:18 AM
I have a 99 Passat, it's been a good runner, but the past three years, every timei take it in for a regular service, they come out and say it needs (bleh bleh) fixed and I NEVER get out of there for less than $1000.

For around $4000 I'd get a Toyota of the similar year or Honda, like these other guys have said.

VW's are a great car to own as long as they're still under warranty. The engine/drivetrain will go forever, but all the other stuff (water/fuel pump exhaust system, electrical/ignition system, small handles/knobs parts, suspension) will fail on a regular basis, based on my experience.

And if the engine is doing something funny NOW, stay away, stay far away.

THIS!
VWs are good cars for the first 3-5 years, after that they fall apart at an alarming rate. There are those that go many miles but if the owner is honest he will tell you what Tiny says, its 1000.00 every time it goes into the shop. STAY AWAY from VWs. IMO they are one of the worst cars out there.

Bwana
05-21-2009, 07:27 AM

You may be thinking of a Rabbit. Nothing says I crave the man rod faster than a dude driving a rabbit. NTTAWWT

Brock
05-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I can't imagine getting a car for that kind of money that you won't need to fix some things on. So don't spend all your money on the car, hold back a couple hundred bucks.

Detoxing
05-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I can't imagine getting a car for that kind of money that you won't need to fix some things on. So don't spend all your money on the car, hold back a couple hundred bucks.

This is true
Posted via Mobile Device

Detoxing
05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
He bought it Tuesday at auction. He owns a tiny shop in Clinton. He's sold me my last two cars - a Saturn that I paid $2K for that I put 75,000 miles on it without a lick of trouble, and a Neon that my wife has owned for the past six years and put 100K miles on and just started giving us trouble about 6 months ago.

He's repaired my vehicles quite literally for half what other places charge. He's not a dealership. He's a guy that buys cars cheap, fixes them, and sells them. Normally he buys salvage titles that have no structural or engine damage.

I trust this guy. And he knows if he continues to treat me right he'll get me back as a customer for another car later on down the line, and he knows already that I've put my parents and my brother and SIL in touch with him.

Ahhh ok. I understood it as a lein sale. By bad
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
05-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Also, don't discount the idea of buying a car with a salvage/rebuilders title. You can get a nice, nice, low mileage car for not a lot of money if you don't mind the stigma of a salvage title.

Coach
05-21-2009, 08:22 AM
What is your goal for a monthly payment that is "reasonable" for you? Just only curious. Would you go for a 0% no interest for 72 months on a 2009 Ford Fusion?

Just giving you some options here.

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Also, don't discount the idea of buying a car with a salvage/rebuilders title. You can get a nice, nice, low mileage car for not a lot of money if you don't mind the stigma of a salvage title.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, huh? ;)

The last two cars I've owned have been salvage titles, including the one we're replacing now.

Brock
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Haven't read the rest of the thread, huh? ;)

The last two cars I've owned have been salvage titles, including the one we're replacing now.

Nah, I didn't read the thread. I guess I should.

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
What is your goal for a monthly payment that is "reasonable" for you? Just only curious.

Can't afford a monthly payment. My wife's job situation is totally fucked right now, and no telling when/if it'll get better.

I have about $4K to spend cash - mechanic friend also owes me $1K in trade.

Coach
05-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Can't afford a monthly payment. My wife's job situation is totally fucked right now, and no telling when/if it'll get better.

I have about $4K to spend cash - mechanic friend also owes me $1K in trade.

Well, how long will the wife's situation be resolved? Can it be resolved within a week? 2 weeks? etc.

stevieray
05-21-2009, 08:27 AM
one owner. eldery preferred...

modocsot
05-21-2009, 08:29 AM
THIS!
VWs are good cars for the first 3-5 years, after that they fall apart at an alarming rate. There are those that go many miles but if the owner is honest he will tell you what Tiny says, its 1000.00 every time it goes into the shop. STAY AWAY from VWs. IMO they are one of the worst cars out there.

All German cars are more expensive to service and maintain than their American and Japanese counterparts. In defense, there are simply more gizmos built into German cars that will eventually need replacing.

I own two German makes, and I would probably only buy German cars in the future. When well maintained, their of the most reliable out there. People should expect to pay more when they go German; if they don't want to or can't, they should look into Japanese makes.

HemiEd
05-21-2009, 08:30 AM
If you need a CarFax report ran, pm me the VIN #. I think there is seven left for me to use up, after finding the youngest a new ride.

Kerberos
05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Can't afford a monthly payment. My wife's job situation is totally ****ed right now, and no telling when/if it'll get better.

You could supplement your income by selling bootleg/copied DVD movies.

J/K man....... :D

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
If you need a CarFax report ran, pm me the VIN #. I think there is seven left for me to use up, after finding the youngest a new ride.

Thanks! I just sent you a PM on a 1995 Buick Regal with 60K miles. Driven by an old couple who bought it new, owner now in assisted living and can't use the car. If everything checks out, selling about $1500 below Blue Book.

kepp
05-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda.

This. You'd be better off buying a 1999 Civic than the Jetta.

HemiEd
05-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks! I just sent you a PM on a 1995 Buick Regal with 60K miles. Driven by an old couple who bought it new, owner now in assisted living and can't use the car. If everything checks out, selling about $1500 below Blue Book.It sounds like a heck of a deal. Let me know of anymore, I just noticed the subscription runs out on Saturday.

jjjayb
05-21-2009, 09:28 AM
The few Jetta's I've sold have all caused me headaches with being in our service department frequently. From my experience I'd stay away from them, but it could have been a coincedence.

blaise
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
I had a VW Golf once that got up to 200,000 miles before some lady hit it. It was a good car.
Still though, I think the best car you can buy is a Corolla for the price reliability and quality. That might be too smal for some people, but if not, I think it's the ideal car.

On a side note- I saw photos of next year's Ford Taurus model. I think it actually looks really good. I think they're going to sell a ton of them.

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Shit. The Buick just got sold.

HemiEd
05-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Shit. The Buick just got sold.

Well that sucks. My Little sister just sent me this link, seems like a heck of a nice car, but not sure if you could swing it.

Passat! (http://www.davidkamerer.com/spoonful/2005-volkswagen-passat-wagon-g.html)

JD10367
05-22-2009, 07:50 AM
I've never owned a VW but they're notorious for electrical problems. And, as others have said, 75k is right around the mileage where you're gonna have to start replacing stuff left and right. You might actually be better off with a Japanese car that's a few years older and cheaper with a few more miles on it; chances are, more stuff has been broken and replaced.

blaise
05-22-2009, 07:59 AM
I've never owned a VW but they're notorious for electrical problems. And, as others have said, 75k is right around the mileage where you're gonna have to start replacing stuff left and right. You might actually be better off with a Japanese car that's a few years older and cheaper with a few more miles on it; chances are, more stuff has been broken and replaced.

It's funny you say that about electrical problems. Mine seemed to have a boatload of wires all over the top of the engine, like twice as much as any other car I've owned. One day I was driving it and the horn just started going off, non stop. Just blaring. I had to open the front of the steering wheel and pull the wires apart.

HemiEd
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
The worst electrical nightmare I was ever involved with was a Mistsubishi, It still makes me wake up in a cold sweat once in while.

Bwana
05-22-2009, 08:14 AM
If you need a CarFax report ran, pm me the VIN #. I think there is seven left for me to use up, after finding the youngest a new.

I still have two weeks of unlimited use of that myself.

dtebbe
05-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks! I just sent you a PM on a 1995 Buick Regal with 60K miles. Driven by an old couple who bought it new,

ROFL - As if there was some other type of Buick...

DT

HemiEd
05-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I still have two weeks of unlimited use of that myself.

Good, after running one, it said mine expires on Saturday.

dtebbe
05-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Probably a crank sensor.

Bwana
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Good, after running one, it said mine expires on Saturday.

If you need one, just let me know and I'll burn it.