PDA

View Full Version : News Five Alabama Cops Fired After Beating -- Agree or Disagree

Amnorix
05-21-2009, 07:23 AM
So watch the video and read the story. I'm thinking a suspension (to save face) was all that was really warranted. The bastard tried to avoid the spike strip and couldn't have cared less that he was about to run over a cop at full speed to do it. He didn't kill the cop, but he did nail his leg which I would imagine was broken.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/20/alabama.police.beating/index.html

The chase apparently had gone on for quite some time prior to when the video starts.

What is the board's consensus? Poll to follow.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-21-2009, 07:25 AM
agree.

criminal or not, that was too far.

rambleonthruthefog
05-21-2009, 07:27 AM
the cops job is to catch bad guys, not beat them. f*ck em.

Amnorix
05-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Never embedded a movie before. Let's try it.

EDIT: Let's fail at it.

<SCRIPT src="<a href=" target="_blank" module.js?loc='dom&vid=/video/crime/2009/05/20/vosot.al.police.beating.fired.cnn"' evp video 2.0 js .element cnn i.cdn.turner.com http:>http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/2.0/video/evp/module.js?loc=dom&vid=/video/crime/2009/05/20/vosot.al.police.beating.fired.cnn" type="text/javascript"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>Embedded video from CNN" target="_blank">http://www.cnn.com/video">CNN (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/<a href=) Video</NOSCRIPT>

BigRedChief
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
agree.

criminal or not, that was too far.
No one is above the law. You have to rein in your anger or you can't carry a badge and a gun and hold the power to lawfully use that gun/nightstick against citizens.

Saulbadguy
05-21-2009, 07:31 AM
They had to fire them - but I can completely understand why the cops reacted in the way they did.

Bwana
05-21-2009, 07:32 AM
He's lucky they didn't "Glock him up."

tooge
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
I dont really care if that POS dies or not. He is a loser. However, those cops are supposed to arrest the guy, not finish whats left of him. I say can their asses. When does the riot start? When does Al Sharpton show up? Oh, sorry, that only happens in LA.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Why is it criminals seem to have all the rights?

BigRedChief
05-21-2009, 07:37 AM
so you feel that the police should be able to beat a person even after they are out because they are angry?

wilas101
05-21-2009, 07:37 AM

well, we wouldn't want to offend them. they're probably just misguided and need some direction.

raybec 4
05-21-2009, 07:40 AM
I would not have aproblem with what they did if he had still been resisting, he seemed to be completely out when he was ejected from the vehicle, why pound him then? If he had got up and run beat his ass, but he was out.

rambleonthruthefog

because if you give all the rights to the cops, then you have a police state or worse. gotta take the good with the bad.

Katipan
so you feel that the police should be able to beat a person even after they are out because they are angry?

Would your morality shift if the person they were beating did one of those disgustingly evil acts that I really don't have to spell out?

Coach

You know, I wonder that question myself many times, especially when they abuse or take away the rights of others for no apparent reason....

rambleonthruthefog
05-21-2009, 07:41 AM
did the man deserve the azz whoopin'? yes, every bit of it. is the cops job? no. if you can't do your job right, then you don't get to do that job.

Saulbadguy
05-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Would your morality shift if the person they were beating did one of those disgustingly evil acts that I really don't have to spell out?

I think the problem is that it is not the cops responsibility to decide who are criminals and who aren't.

Imagine a case of mistaken identity that you were mistaken for someone who they thought did something morally reprehensible and they beat you to a pulp for it.

BigRedChief
No, its a line we don't cross as a civilized society. If you can't restrain yourself when arresting scumbags then you shouldn't be a cop. Because guess what? You have to deal with the worst of us on a daily basis.

seclark
i'll be honest...i think he needed to have the shit beat out of him.

that said, that was a hell of a beating w/him just laying there taking it, so what was the point?

i'm not voting yet.
sec

BigRedChief
05-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I think the problem is that it is not the cops responsibility to decide who are criminals and who aren't.

Imagine a case of mistaken identity that you were mistaken for someone who they thought did something morally reprehensible and they beat you to a pulp for it.
Like Bobby Tolans son out in calafornia. Booby Tolan was a successful baseball play back in the 60's-70's. His son came to visit last year? and as they were getting out of the car in the driveway the police approached them mistaking them as suspects in a case. They wern't the right people. Beatings and Bobby Tolan's son(a promising minor leage baseball player) was shot maybe ending his baseball career.

wild1
05-21-2009, 07:48 AM
my opinion is that it's too bad people like this don't get worked over by the cops more often.

this isn't mistaken identity or some BS like that. and he didn't even get a taste of what he deserves.

whoman69
05-21-2009, 07:49 AM

Who gave the cops the right to do what they did? The police are there to bring people to justice, not to get their shots in first. This idiot was obviously unconscious when apprehended. Looks like the guy tried to kill a cop just before they ran him off the road. That still doesn't give the cops the right to do what they did?

raybec 4
05-21-2009, 07:50 AM
I voted they should be fired but really only because they should have learned over the last 20 years that they should never,ever do anything on their dashboard video. Dumbasses

Chiefnj2
05-21-2009, 07:51 AM
There are lots of people that "deserve" beatings and worse. However, we live in a society with certain rules. One of those rules is that the police do not sit as judge, jury and executioner. They broke the rules in a stressful situation and have to be held accountable for their actions.

BigRedChief
05-21-2009, 07:51 AM
my opinion is that it's too bad people like this don't get worked over by the cops more often.

this isn't mistaken identity or some BS like that. and he didn't even get a taste of what he deserves.
We are not living in the middle east. We don't hack off the hands of thiefs and we don't blind the adulters. Is that really what you want to live in? A vengeful society? Beating the crap out of our scumbags on a daily basis?

Brock
05-21-2009, 07:55 AM
That really wasn't much of a beating.

stevieray
05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
the adrenaline after a chase is through the roof...

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
because if you give all the rights to the cops, then you have a police state or worse. gotta take the good with the bad.

But we already live in a police state so whats the difference?

Demonpenz
05-21-2009, 07:57 AM
the chiefs should be police officiers, they can't beat anyone

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
That really wasn't much of a beating.

white cops - black man....Alabama

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Who gave the cops the right to do what they did? The police are there to bring people to justice, not to get their shots in first. This idiot was obviously unconscious when apprehended. Looks like the guy tried to kill a cop just before they ran him off the road. That still doesn't give the cops the right to do what they did?

pretty sure that gives the police the right to kill him...the run over part.

wild1
05-21-2009, 07:59 AM
We are not living in the middle east. We don't hack off the hands of thiefs and we don't blind the adulters. Is that really what you want to live in? A vengeful society? Beating the crap out of our scumbags on a daily basis?

oh come on, they didn't chop this guy's hands off. He tried to kill one of them and they had the same reaction any human would have to a guy who tried to kill them or one of their friends.

frankly, we more or less know this guy won't get justice from the 'justice' system, at least this is something.

raybec 4
05-21-2009, 08:08 AM

You gotta pay to play.

Chiefnj2
05-21-2009, 08:20 AM
You gotta pay to play.

It looks like the officers played and are now paying.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM
It looks like the officers played and are now paying.

just cause it was a black guy.

Dartgod
05-21-2009, 08:27 AM
white cops - black man....Alabama
One of the cops was black. And yes, he was in on the beating from what I saw.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
One of the cops was black. And yes, he was in on the beating from what I saw.

So what, if they were all black id bet theyd still have jobs. These cops got fired over votes, simple as that.

Dartgod
05-21-2009, 08:32 AM
So what, if they were all black id bet theyd still have jobs. These cops got fired over votes, simple as that.
Maybe. I don't know. I doubt the beating was racially motivated though.

rambleonthruthefog
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
just cause it was a black guy.

you're an idiot

HemiEd
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Damn, that is disgusting to watch. The guy was face down, what would be next, shoot him in the back?

I know, he did ask for some serious repercusions, but that was over the top.

Skip Towne
05-21-2009, 08:36 AM
the adrenaline after a chase is through the roof...

Unless the perp has committed a serious crime, the cops shouldn't participate in high speed chases. They get a lot of people killed. Some agencies already hold them to a minimum.

Consistent1
05-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Haven't you guys ever played the Need for Speed games? You HAVE TO try to avoid the spike strips.

BigRedChief
05-21-2009, 08:38 AM
no, he hurt one of their own, tryed to evade capture. They were just pissed, not racists.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 08:40 AM

Doesnt matter, listen to what the mayor says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc57ZJ8nVpg

Consistent1
05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Seriously though, I voted for them pretty much having to be fired. It was like they all thought the first dude hit him, better hold up the fraternity and get a shot or two in myself. We can laugh it up over some beers later. Oh shit, that cam was on. Tough to see them lose there jobs, but they really are supposed to make sure he isn't dead and all that. He wasn't resisting. Cops would beat almost everyone's ass if that were allowed. Sadly, many in that profession like that kind of crap.

bdeg
05-21-2009, 08:44 AM
i'm pretty sure it's never necessary to hit an unconscious man 12 times in the head

that one kneeling over his head hammering away should be brought up on charges
i've heard of attempted murder charges for less

Katipan
05-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Haven't you guys ever played the Need for Speed games? You HAVE TO try to avoid the spike strips.

Ugh I fell asleep listening to that drone in the background.

I'm a Burnout kind of girl.

bdeg
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Seriously though, I voted for them pretty much having to be fired. It was like they all thought the first dude hit him, better hold up the fraternity and get a shot or two in myself. We can laugh it up over some beers later. Oh shit, that cam was on. Tough to see them lose there jobs, but they really are supposed to make sure he isn't dead and all that. He wasn't resisting. Cops would beat almost everyone's ass if that were allowed. Sadly, many in that profession like that kind of crap.
too true.

but it should end with a kick to the ribs if you're not resisting

dude could have brain damage

Baby Lee
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM

The reporter and the Mayor appear to disagree

The five officers -- one black, four white -- ruthlessly beat the suspect, who is black, the video shows.

Langford said the incident brought back to mind days of segregation and police brutality toward blacks.

"The culture of the past was that police brutality was acceptable," Langford said. "In Birmingham, Alabama, in the present day, it is not acceptable."

Langford said the five officers showed exceptional restraint in chasing the fleeing suspect and performed in exemplary fashion until the last scene caught on the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/20/alabama.police.beating/index.html#cnnSTCText

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
you're an idiot

The bitch in you is strong. When your other testi drops come talk with the man folk.

Garcia Bronco
05-21-2009, 08:51 AM
I see this as a win-win. The criminal got what he deserved and so did the cops.

Baby Lee
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
The PIT maneuver right next to a steep ditch gets no mention?

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Earlier in the video, the guy either ran over a cop or nearly did.

They shouldn't have put the boots to the guy, but I can understand.

I don't know how more cops don't beat people. Adrenaline, someone fighting with you, you catch a whack to the back of the head, I don't know how they DON'T beat the shit out of more dirt bags.

Personally, I kind of wish they COULD offer selective beatings to dirtbag-Americans.

seclark
05-21-2009, 09:03 AM
I see this as a win-win. The criminal got what he deserved and so did the cops.

well, that's one way to look at it. i'd vote for that option.
sec

Consistent1
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Earlier in the video, the guy either ran over a cop or nearly did.

They shouldn't have put the boots to the guy, but I can understand.

I don't know how more cops don't beat people. Adrenaline, someone fighting with you, you catch a whack to the back of the head, I don't know how they DON'T beat the shit out of more dirt bags.

Personally, I kind of wish they COULD offer selective beatings to dirtbag-Americans.

The problem is that "selection" process is always gonna get pretty murky.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
I think they should have been reprimanded and suspended, but not fired if that was their first incident. As beatings go, that wasn't technically appropriate, but it wasn't much of a beating, as Brock said.

I want to be clear that my "selection" is relevant to the level of scumbag, and that has no skin color.

There are quite a few 20 something dirtheads roaming the streets of my community that could use a night stick to the brainpan.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm so fucking pissed, I'm not even going to comment.

Baby Lee
05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
As beatings go, that wasn't technically appropriate, but it wasn't much of a beating, as Brock said.
The report said it was 'brutal' and 'ruthless,' and that's journalism, so it's fact, not opinion, so there.

Baby Lee
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm so fucking pissed, I'm not even going to comment.

and a tsunami of melancholy passes over chiefsplanet.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
and a tsunami of melancholy passes over chiefsplanet.

Yuk-yuk...:spock:

The_Doctor10
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
The mayor said 58 percent of the budget goes to law enforcement... maybe that speaks to a larger problem in Birmingham Alabama... or perhaps they've just got a budget only slightly larger than most bar tabs.

Either way, the cops needed to be clipped. If one guy gets in one extra shot as the first man there, meh, it'll happen. As mentioned, his adrenaline must be skyrocketing. But the next five guys who kicked the crap out of what was probably an unconscious man by that point were over the top, and uncalled for.

El Jefe
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
The PIT maneuver right next to a steep ditch gets no mention?

Why should it? The guy is in heavy traffic, he attempted to run over a police officer, they have to take drastic measures to put an end to the chase, and protect anyone else that would be endangered if the chase were to continue.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM
They shouldn't have struck the unconscious man....

They should have waited until he woke up so they had time to explain why they had to spank him and that it was only for his own good to teach him to do right from wrong. Making him walk across the room to them to receive the beating would have given him time to evaluate his poor choice.

Katipan
05-21-2009, 09:23 AM
They shouldn't have struck the unconscious man.....

If anything it was much nicer to beat him when he was unconscious. It's not like he felt anything.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:26 AM
They shouldn't have struck the unconscious man....

They should have waited until he woke up so they had time to explain why they had to spank him and that it was only for his own good to teach him to do right from wrong. Making him walk across the room to them to receive the beating would have given him time to evaluate his poor choice.

Yep, too bad they're fired and will never get to go dipshit on the unconscious man a second time.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:27 AM
So much for not commenting, shitbrick.

Don't worry, I heard that 5 experienced officers were hired in your community this morning.

Maybe those cops were just trailer park fans of WARRIORS. Is it alright if they sang songs and said "come out and play" as they flogged him?

El Jefe
05-21-2009, 09:27 AM
I didn't vote. The guy that was punching him in the head repeatedly should be fired, I can understand landing a flying knee on him, or belly flopping on him, but with him being unconscious he really doesn't need 50 punches to the head. I think the Criminal got what he deserved and in the end the Cops got what they deserved. I can't sit here and rain judgement down on the cops, because we don't know what they put up with everyday. Seeing one of their brothers almost ran over and killed is not a good start for the criminal though. So that escalated things rapidly when that happened.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:28 AM

Say it with me:

"Fired".

El Jefe
05-21-2009, 09:28 AM

Don't worry, I heard that 5 experienced officers were hired in your community.

LOL.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Don't worry, I heard that 5 experienced officers were hired in your community this morning.

Maybe those cops were just trailer park fans of WARRIORS. Is it alright if they sang songs and said "come out and play" as they flogged him?

"Fired".

Yep, just get's more fulfilling every time I say it.

Mr. Krab
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
You're right, those Cops are criminals and should lose their rights.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Don't worry, at least he'll have plenty of time for R&R in Sheriff Joe's tent city jail/recovery room.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Don't worry, at least he'll have plenty of time for R&R in Sheriff Joe's tent city jail/recovery room.

Question:

What is the opposite of "Hired"?

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Question:

raised on riots?

Mr. Krab
05-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Hell yes, they should be fired. They beat a completely unconscious guy after he had been thrown from a car wreck. I'm willing to bet they have done it before.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
"mr Riots, We'll be in touch if anything else comes open"

Raised On Riots
raised on riots?

I've been working since I was 15, thank you. And I've never been on unemployment even once.

El Jefe
Hell yes, they should be fired. They beat a completely unconscious guy after he had been thrown from a car wreck. I'm willing to bet they have done it before.

NO WAY!!!!! :)

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm going to Alabama this weekend. I hear there is a city with 5 less cops to catch people committing crimes.

LOOT!

El Jefe
I've been working since I was 15, thank you. And I've never been on unemployment even once.

How old are you?

El Jefe
I'm going to Alabama this weekend. I hear there is a city with 5 less cops to catch people committing crimes.

LOOT!

LMAO

Baby Lee
Why should it? The guy is in heavy traffic, he attempted to run over a police officer, they have to take drastic measures to put an end to the chase, and protect anyone else that would be endangered if the chase were to continue.

My point is, if they're sincerely concerned about volitional acts resulting in bodily harm, that's where the overwhelming bulk of it was inflicted.

If OTOH, they were reacting out of emotion due to remembrances of images from 50 years prior, that might lead them to focus on the flailing fists.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Law of the jungle- you get em down & you dont let em get up.

For reference Mr.Krabs if you got a man down in a streetfight(when you are in the right) would you let him get up for another go?

Garcia Bronco
05-21-2009, 09:39 AM

unemployment is your money. There is no shame in being on it. Welfare for example is little different. Either way it's good to have some pride about it.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 09:39 AM

Thats alot of dope.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:40 AM
How old are you?

38 in September.

raybec 4
Back in the day, I ran from the cops a few times here in Springpatch always with the knowledge that if and when they caught me, they were fucking me up. Occupational hazard of being a criminal.

El Jefe

For reference Mr.Krabs if you got a man down in a streetfight(when you are in the right) would you let him get up for another go?

Interesting, but hard to compare the two IMO.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
If those cops would have just let the guy go, he'd have eventually gotten to the Greenbough, AL city limits and Forest Gump would have ran his ass down and beat him like his punched Jenny at a Black Panther party.

El Jefe
38 in September.

That's a pretty good streak.

Raised On Riots
Thats alot of dope.

Fuck I wish!

I'd be retired by now, and could spend this coming weekend looting in Alabama for shits and giggles!:)

MOhillbilly
Interesting, but hard to compare the two IMO.

how is it hard to compare human nature?

Mr. Krab

It's wasn't a street fight and the Cops are thugs. At least they aren't supposed to be. That guy was clearly unconcious, if not dead, and they couldn't help themselves.

Buh-bye, enjoy your new career.

http://daveandthomas.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/paul_blart_mall_cop.jpg

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 09:43 AM
It's wasn't a street fight and the Cops are thugs. At least they aren't supposed to be. That guy was clearly unconcious, if not dead, and they couldn't help themselves.

you didnt answer the question.

Garcia Bronco
05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
If those cops would have just let the guy go, he'd have eventually gotten to the Greenbough, AL city limits and Forest Gump would have ran his ass down and beat him like his punched Jenny at a Black Panther party.

I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:44 AM

http://daveandthomas.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/paul_blart_mall_cop.jpg

ROFL Congrats; that is the funniest goddamn thing you have EVER posted.

Mr. Krab
05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
you didnt answer the question.Because your question was irrelevant to the situation.

FTR - Yes, if i get into a fight and the guy is helpless or gives up, i stop hitting him.

El Jefe
05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
how is it hard to compare human nature?

It's a different scenario. In the street fight comparison its 1 on 1, so if you knock the guy out, you might put a couple more shots in before you leave in case he does get back up. That guy was flung from a car accident, out cold, and there's 5 cops, so even if he did become conscious, I doubt he would be a threat to the 5 cops who are on top of him.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Those cops should have waited until the body stopped rolling and flopping after the ejection, to give the guy who had been running from them, risking civilian lives on the roads, tried to run over a cop....had ample and equal opportunity to compose himself and draw his gun.

Then they could have injected him with 80 or 90 hollow point slugs and caused a REAL brouhaha.

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Because your question was irrelevant to the situation.

FTR - Yes, if i get into a fight and the guy is helpless or gives up, i stop hitting him.

death wish? cause you run that risk. same as the cops who didnt know the guy was out, and didnt want to end up of the wrong side of a gun/knife. you and your fairytale:rolleyes:.

Garcia Bronco
05-21-2009, 09:51 AM
I just watched the video. That's not a beating. I saw worse beatings in my high school by teenagers.

Gonzo
05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Fuck him, I hope he's eating from a straw for the next ten years...

Ass hole.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
**** him, I hope he's eating from a straw for the next ten years...

Ass hole.

I don't. that will be more expensive for tax payers than his incarceration.

I suppose the lawsuit his family will win because of the love taps would pay for it, if there is anything left after the new Cement-Pond is finished.

Mr. Krab
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Those cops should have waited until the body stopped rolling and flopping after the ejection, to give the guy who had been running from them, risking civilian lives on the roads, tried to run over a cop....had ample and equal opportunity to compose himself and draw his gun.

Then they could have injected him with 80 or 90 hollow point slugs and caused a REAL brouhaha.
I don't think anyone is defending the guy in the car. He should Go directly to jail, do not pass Go and do not collect $200. I'm sure he will, he will probably get charged with attempted Vechicular homocide. The question is whether the Cops should keep their jobs.

bdeg
05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised On Riots View Post
Question:

raised on riots?

LMAOLMAO

MOhillbilly
05-21-2009, 09:56 AM
It's a different scenario. In the street fight comparison its 1 on 1, so if you knock the guy out, you might put a couple more shots in before you leave in case he does get back up. That guy was flung from a car accident, out cold, and there's 5 cops, so even if he did become conscious, I doubt he would be a threat to the 5 cops who are on top of him.

In the split seconds the cops were ontop of that dude you think they knew he was out? i dont, not when things are moving that fast.
In a street fight are you gonna take the chance if someone is trying to get up even though you beat em silly? not me, i dont wanna get hurt.

That said i gotta think alot of the peeps on here who disagree have either not had there ass in the fire enough, or its been to long for them to really remember what its like.

El Jefe
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I just watched the video. That's not a beating. I saw worse beatings in my high school by teenagers.

I thought the cop using his head as a speed bag was a little over the top, but again as I said I think the criminal got what he deserved. Don't want to get beat up by the cops, don't commit felonies, and try to run over a cop.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I think they should have been reprimanded, suspended without pay, forced to take some boring classes and put on the night shift for 6 months.

Amnorix
05-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I think they should have been reprimanded, suspended without pay, forced to take some boring classes and put on the night shift for 6 months.

This is about where I"m at.

IMHO, their adrenaline was waaaay up after a long chase, they saw their buddy get run over, and they had no idea the guy was already unconscious. The beating didn't go on for that long either. Once they saw he was unresponsive, they stopped immediately.

I also don't see the "wrong" motivators -- race or whatever -- in play to elevate it to another level.

I don't see termination as the right response. Maybe politically the mayor had no choice or whatever, but in the heat of the moment under those circumstances, I can understand what and why the cops did what they did.

bdeg
05-21-2009, 10:03 AM
In the split seconds the cops were ontop of that dude you think they knew he was out? i dont, not when things are moving that fast.
In a street fight are you gonna take the chance if someone is trying to get up even though you beat em silly? not me, i dont wanna get hurt.

That said i gotta think alot of the peeps on here who disagree have either not had there ass in the fire enough, or its been to long for them to really remember what its like.
it's not a fight

it wasn't about protectingthemselves

itwas about getting revenge, and taking out their aggression
and you REALIZE when their head starts floppin all around and they don't fight back. the guy hits him 12 times inthe head after he's out, i know what it feels like to be 'zoned in' in a fight but shit that is ridiculous

it's understandable, but inexcusable(for the one who was doing all the punching)

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 10:04 AM
I agree, they should be terminated. The perp was already unconscience on the ground. Then they proceed to wail away on him. Now, if that perp survived the crash, he should be charged with attemped murder. He clearly tried to run that officer over.

CoMoChief
05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Wow, totally uncalled for. Criminal or not, the guy was knocked out and all they had to do was cuff him. They immediately went over and threw punches. Not cool. Cops like that deserve to get caned.

MOhillbilly
it's not a fight

it wasn't about protectingthemselves

itwas about getting revenge, and taking out their aggression
and you REALIZE when their head starts floppin all around and they don't fight back. the guy hits him 12 times inthe head after he's out, i know what it feels like to be 'zoned in' in a fight but shit that is ridiculous

it's understandable, but inexcusable(for the one who was doing all the punching)

Sure it was:rolleyes:

Lzen
I am in no way some bleeding heart. But I gotta say that them being fired is the right choice. Yes, that punk probably deserved to get beaten. But we can't have cops out of control like that.

There was a similar video I saw the other day about cops chasing some gang member in LA. The cop got out and kicked the dude in the head once and stop. To me, at least he showed a little restraint after the initial urge to kick the crap out of the punk. That action deserves punishment but not a firing. That is the difference between these 2 incidents, IMO.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
The worst part about this whole incident is that this scumbag is going to end up getting a multimillion dollar settlement for blatently disobeying the law! Who says crime doesn't pay. It's too bad the van didn't end up on top of him, that would have saved the taxpayers a lot of money.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 10:08 AM
I just noticed something odd in the voting. I voted 'Yes'. It shows I voted 'cops suck', also. Wierd.

wild1
05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
This is about where I"m at.

IMHO, their adrenaline was waaaay up after a long chase, they saw their buddy get run over, and they had no idea the guy was already unconscious. The beating didn't go on for that long either. Once they saw he was unresponsive, they stopped immediately.

I also don't see the "wrong" motivators -- race or whatever -- in play to elevate it to another level.

I don't see termination as the right response. Maybe politically the mayor had no choice or whatever, but in the heat of the moment under those circumstances, I can understand what and why the cops did what they did.

i can't say that there is a 100% chance i would react with a totally level head if someone just tried to run over and kill a friend of mine. that being said, it's obvious this guy was out cold, they shouldn't have beaten on him.

but what is the root issue here? the root is, how are we going to lessen the number of people who try to do this, who run from the police and are willing to kill them to try to get away. the number on the street who have such a disrespect for the law that they'll run from the police like this, endangering everyone on the highway, run over a cop, to try to beat a drug rap.

interesting that the article and video don't mention this guy's record. dollars to donuts this guy is a career criminal and should never have been on the streets in the first place.

Just Passin' By
05-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Any time the police dole out an unnecessary beating, they should be fired and prosecuted. Their job is to prevent some crimes and round up those who are guilty of others. Nowhere in the job description will you find "Kick someone's ass just because you can". They are citizens of the United States who happen to have a job riding herd on the rest of us. That shouldn't make them immune from the law.

bdeg
05-21-2009, 10:12 AM
inexcusable inthe sense that his boss had to fire him
like i said, i understand it. that could've been his best friend that pos tried to kill, im sure dude was thinking it could've been him. i understand wanting to kill the pos. but if that gets caught on camera no way he can keep his job, and im also glad there is now one less cop with so little self control

CoMoChief
05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
The worst part about this whole incident is that this scumbag is going to end up getting a multimillion dollar settlement for blatently disobeying the law! Who says crime doesn't pay. It's too bad the van didn't end up on top of him, that would have saved the taxpayers a lot of money.

The worst part is that we have cops out there that don't follow standard operating procedures and do shit like this. Shit like this makes a bad rep for that entire police dept, even if its a good one.

If the cops were just doing their job and not being dickheads, there would be no potential lawsuit against the city.

beach tribe
05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Look, I understand that these guys are fired up in a chase, but a police officer should be able to keep his cool in stressful situations. The guy was already knocked out for god's sake. They should be fired because they cannot control themselves, and they act with emotion(hate), and not brains, and that's not good for anyone.

Lzen
05-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't think anyone is defending the guy in the car. He should Go directly to jail, do not pass Go and do not collect $200. I'm sure he will, he will probably get charged with attempted Vechicular homocide. The question is whether the Cops should keep their jobs.

"Warren was charged with attempted murder, but no trial took place because he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated assault. He is in prison serving a 20-year sentence."

Saggysack
05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm having a hard time calling that a beating.

El Jefe
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Well put, I understand what you're saying. I've seen some bad reprecussions of street fights though, a couple dudes I know, were on the wrong side of an altercation with a guy and his friends, and they got messed up. Well some time passed and they caught up to the guy, and knocked him out, and one of my buddies (I should clarify they were my brothers friends) hit him one too many times and ended up killing him, and spent 12 years in prison. So it's a fine line, I hope I never have to decide to cross.

vailpass
05-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Question:

Funny, that's the same question your mom asked me this morning as she was wiping my load off her face. After she got done licking her fingers she gurgled to me "vailpass, what is the opposite of hired?"

What a coincidence. I guess it must run in your family.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Funny, that's the same question your mom asked me this morning as she was wiping my load off her face. After she got done licking her fingers she gurgled to me "vailpass, what is the opposite of hired?"

What a coincidence. I guess it must run in your family.

FailAss, my mother would slam you through a plate-glass window, drag you by your ears to the closest dumpster, and throw you in with one arm while whistling "Flight of the Bumble Bee".

Bitch.

Cannibal
05-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Cops are there to "protect and serve". Not to beat the shit out of people they are pissed at.

I really, really hated seeing that cop almost get run over. It disgusted me and I'd like to see that crimal go to prison for attempted murder of the officer. However, that perp's punishment is for the Courts to decide which is the law of our land.

If the cops cannot perform the duties they been sworn to uphold by the letter of the law, they should be fired and probably should not have gone into that line of work in the first place.

vailpass
05-21-2009, 10:51 AM
FailAss, my mother would slam you through a plate-glass window, drag you by your ears to the closest dumpster, and throw you in with one arm while whistling "Flight of the Bumble Bee".

Bitch.

She can't whistle with my cock in her mouth. Trust me.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 10:56 AM
She can't whistle with my cock in her mouth. Trust me.

So you finally got that operation you were saving up for then?

Good for you, Sally!

vailpass
05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
So you finally got that operation you were saving up for then?

Good for you, Sally!

You don't need to call my Sally although you might as well call me daddy.

KCChiefsMan
05-21-2009, 11:01 AM
when a scumbag tries to run over an officer at high speed, risks the lives of civilians driving around I have no sympathy. I think the cops should be allowed to shoot people in the head on the spot in situations like that. I'm tired of the criminals always being made out to be victims.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 11:02 AM
You don't need to call my Sally although you might as well call me daddy.

That might be a problem seeing as how no one in their right mind would fuck you to create children, and I think it's best we remain factual when doling out titles.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Only if they haven't shown bad behavior previously, I'd agree.

Most people here just don't know what it's like to have a bad day that involves nearly losing your life, your friends life, watching innocent lives be threatened and it's all in your hands to stop it as quickly as you can. Nevermind that you might not have had enough money to pay all the bills that month, or that you just found out your wife is sleeping with the neighbor, probably because he's a cop hater. You know the normal cop life stresses.

The adrenaline rush is an amazing thing. It is very much like a drug, can be controling, adictive, and destructive too. The over reaction at the end of a car chase, while not agreeable to any of us here, is something that really does need to be looked at more closely.

vailpass
05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
That might be a problem seeing as how no one in their right mind would **** you to create children, and I think it's best we remain factual when doling out titles.

I wasn't impying I was your biological father. God Forbid. I was just saying that since I bang your mom so much you could call me daddy. I notice you neg repped me.
That isn't nice and I'm going to take it out on your mom. Every time you neg rep me is another time I drill your mom's dry ass and wipe the streak on your curtains. Although come to think of it that really isn't punishment since she likes it so much.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm having a hard time calling that a beating.Huh? He was on the ground, face down, motionless. They took free shots at him.

KCChiefsMan
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Huh? He was on the ground, face down, motionless. They took free shits at him.

IMO that guy deserves to die, so he got off easy.

vailpass
05-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Huh? He was on the ground, face down, motionless. They took free shits at him.

What? The article didn't mention there was scat behavior on the part of the officers.
I still don't think they should have been fired even if they did poop on the perp.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Not only should these officers have been fired, they should be brought up on charges.

suds79
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
You know what I find interesting about this is that nothing will change and I'm okay with that.

Should have the cops been fired? I don't know. Probably.

But anytime someone goes after a cop, you have to know that a beating is coming. And coming hard. That's just the way it's always been. Know that. This one just happened to be caught on tape which sealed their fate.

Personally I don't feel any sympathy for the person. You've got to be one lost individual if you're running from the cops like that and try to hit one of them.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
What? The article didn't mention there was scat behavior on the part of the officers.
I still don't think they should have been fired even if they did poop on the perp.LMAO Funny how one letter can change the entire dynamics of a post...

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
inexcusable inthe sense that his boss had to fire him
like i said, i understand it. that could've been his best friend that pos tried to kill, im sure dude was thinking it could've been him. i understand wanting to kill the pos. but if that gets caught on camera no way he can keep his job, and im also glad there is now one less cop with so little self control

And people are wondering why the newest generation of cops don't do anything but write tickets. If only there was the same gurantee that this criminal was out of the business for the rest of his life too.

Don't worry, I agree with the self control bit, but we Americans think we are better than everyone else, even our military has to play "big brother" everywhere it goes. God forbid we fight to stand up for the bottom line in this weak ass cause and effect arguement, because fighting over the results is appearantly so much more fun.....

vailpass
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
LMAO Funny how one letter can change the entire dynamics of a post...

Sorry for being a dick I just couldn't resist. :)

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
IMO that guy deserves to die, so he got off easy.

Die? What is his crime? Sure, had he run over and killed that officer, then I would agree.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
You know what I find interesting about this is that nothing will change and I'm okay with that.

Should have the cops been fired? I don't know. Probably.

But anytime someone goes after a cop, you have to know that a beating is coming. And coming hard. That's just the way it's always been. Know that. This one just happened to be caught on tape which sealed their fate.

Personally I don't feel any sympathy for the person. You've got to be one lost individual if you're running from the cops like that and try to hit one of them.I don't really have a problem with this, really. My problem is the perp is just lying there. Had he got up and came after them , then by all means, pummel his ass.

Demonpenz
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
that video goes well with "play me some mountain music" by alabama

KCChiefsMan
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Die? What is his crime? Sure, had he run over and killed that officer, then I would agree.

people like that should have no right to live. Make the world a better place and starting getting rid of these types. He obviously tried to kill that cop in the road, he's running from police, he's risking the lives of any motorist on that highway. Kill him for fuck sakes.

shitgoose
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Shit canned without a doubt

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
people like that should have no right to live. Make the world a better place and starting getting rid of these types. He obviously tried to kill that cop in the road, he's running from police, he's risking the lives of any motorist on that highway. Kill him for fuck sakes.
Oh, I agree. Take him into custody and charge him. Police officers should not be judge, jury, and executioner.

L.A. Chieffan
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Honestly this is bullshit. There should always be about a 10 sec window when an officer finally intercepts a suspect. Shit like this goes down all the time here. A couple of weeks ago some cops caught a dude, starting beating the shit out of him, HIGH FIVED EACH OTHER, and then continued the beating.

If you are a bad guy, as this POS clearly is, then be prepared to get your ass kicked when you're caught. Don't want your ass kicked? Don't get caught.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh, I agree. Take him into custody and charge him. Police officers should not be judge, jury, and executioner.

No they shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner, but to loose their job? I don't agree.
They'll never be able to be cops again. Plus if they have any arrests in the judical system right now, all the evidence they bring to the table is going to be thrown out, other criminals can and will be set free.

They should be reprimanded, lose some pay/rank for a few years even. Go to classes to learn to control their adrenaline rush/emotions and learn from their mistakes. Are these not the same rights society affords to the criminals?

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I wasn't impying I was your biological father. God Forbid. I was just saying that since I bang your mom so much you could call me daddy. I notice you neg repped me.
That isn't nice and I'm going to take it out on your mom. Every time you neg rep me is another time I drill your mom's dry ass and wipe the streak on your curtains. Although come to think of it that really isn't punishment since she likes it so much.

Well hell I knew THAT by the simple fact that I'm employed and not sitting at home licking windows while throwing my own feces at the family pet!

Saggysack
05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Huh? He was on the ground, face down, motionless. They took free shots at him.

Uh, yeah, not even close to a beating.

This is a beating.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROn_9302UHg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROn_9302UHg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

See the difference?

bdeg
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
No they shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner, but to loose their job? I don't agree.
They'll never be able to be cops again. Plus if they have any arrests in the judical system right now, all the evidence they bring to the table is going to be thrown out, other criminals can and will be set free.

They should be reprimanded, lose some pay/rank for a few years even. Go to classes to learn to control their adrenaline rush/emotions and learn from their mistakes. Are these not the same rights society affords to the criminals?
I understand defending the five cops as a whole, I don't think I'd have fired all of them, but what do you think about the one that punched him in the head 12(by my count) times after he was out?

L.A. Chieffan
05-21-2009, 11:42 AM
cant we all just...get along?

Just Passin' By
05-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Criminal are criminally prosecuted. Let's afford that same "right" to our police. If we want people to just beat the shit out of those we think are doing bad things, we don't need to hire a police force. We could round up our own posse and do that. The whole point of having police is to make sure that kind of response doesn't occur so, if they're going to do the same thing we would, why should we pay someone else to do what we'd love to do?

Chiefnj2
05-21-2009, 11:45 AM

Same rights afforded to criminals? Interesting. Police have greater rights than others. A suspect can get additional charges for assaulting a cop, resisting arrest. One factor in death penalty cases is whether a police officer was killed. If the status of the officer can be used against the public, then I don't see why a heightened level of scrutiny isn't warranted in both cases.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
that video goes well with "play me some mountain music" by alabama

lmao

Same rights afforded to criminals? Interesting. Police have greater rights than others. A suspect can get additional charges for assaulting a cop, resisting arrest. One factor in death penalty cases is whether a police officer was killed. If the status of the officer can be used against the public, then I don't see why a heightened level of scrutiny isn't warranted in both cases.

:clap:

KCChiefsMan
05-21-2009, 11:48 AM
clearly the cops had been playing GTAIV the night before this happened. blame video games for this.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I understand defending the five cops as a whole, I don't think I'd have fired all of them, but what do you think about the one that punched him in the head 12(by my count) times after he was out?

I can not condone his actions, of course. But I also don't know if that was the cop that almost got killed just a few moments before the head bashing. I also don't know how I will react everytime my life is threatened. I know how I have acted, but I know not how I will react to the next one.

I do not know enough to make the call to fire, suspend, charge or slap his wrists

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Uh, yeah, not even close to a beating.

This is a beating.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROn_9302UHg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROn_9302UHg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

See the difference?Yes, this is also a beating. And, IMO King asked for this because he would not cooperate.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Police don't have greater rights, they carry the additional burden of a temporary greater authority. Growing up coddled by parents, never understanding the fight to say/not say the pledge of allegiance - or corpal punishment in the school system; or worse yet watching how it changed right in front of them; has given many of the younger public a false sense of entitlement, and a sometimes harmful feeling of the right to stand up to any and every level of authority they encounter in day to day life.

This criminal will be out to danger the public in under 20 years, parolled much sooner than that in reality. If all these cops are fired for this, then it's too much scrutiny against the side of law enforcement, in my opinion. The ramifications that other cases will be dropped is one reason. The medically proven effects of adrenaline (yet not legally supported in case law) is another reason.

Can I ask what it is you do? Just curious....

Consistent1
05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
The first point of all this is don't try to run from cops in this kind of chase. Quit before it gets to this point. Shit, if you know how to run a couple blocks and hide in a friends garage, then go for it. The dude should not have been running. Where did he think he was going to get to after there has been time for spike strips to be set up and all that? He wasn't wanting to quit. This got me thinking, and I went back and watched the vid again. The cop that he almost "killed" was making a very risky, and not necessary move toward the strip. What he was he going to do, sacrifice his body to stop the vehicle? Nobody would have ever said he was being a pussy for NOT making the aggresive start toward the van. I would have stayed the fuck back and let him hit the car,spikes, whatever....at that point it ain't my problem. Why don't they just park the car so that you hit it, or the strip? If he hits the car, he has all that damage to contend with too. Or, he actually stops. He wasn't stopping period, so don't make that move out there into no man's land with just your body. I don't think the driver ever had any intention at all to hit the guy. He was just being an idiot period. Let the fucker run out of gas at that point, surround his ass, and kill him if need be. Someone mentioned it before, most departments don't want officers involved in chases like this. It puts all at risk. I hate to say this, but if some dude off the street got killed in all of this mess, it would have been worse than that cop getting hit. Cop knew he was playing a risky game when he signed up, and made an aggresive "Rambo" move toward the vehicle. That guy driving had to be like "you gotta get out of the way bro". What do we do next lay babies in the road to stop somebody from running? Hitting a baby is even worse than a cop, right? The dude got 20 years for what he did, so he paid for pulling this stunt anyway....on top of the injuries and excessive force. Criminal got what he deserved, and really, so did the cops.

Chiefnj2
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Police don't have greater rights, they carry the additional burden of a temporary greater authority. Growing up coddled by parents, never understanding the fight to say/not say the pledge of allegiance - or corpal punishment in the school system; or worse yet watching how it changed right in front of them; has given many of the younger public a false sense of entitlement, and a sometimes harmful feeling of the right to stand up to any and every level of authority they encounter in day to day life.

This criminal will be out to danger the public in under 20 years, parolled much sooner than that in reality. If all these cops are fired for this, then it's too much scrutiny against the side of law enforcement, in my opinion. The ramifications that other cases will be dropped is one reason. The medically proven effects of adrenaline (yet not legally supported in case law) is another reason.

Can I ask what it is you do? Just curious....

Beating an unconscious person is too much scrutiny?

bogey
05-21-2009, 12:19 PM
IFrom what I understand the guy was unconscious when they were beating him. They should all be fired.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
I know that police officers has every right to protect themselves. Regardless of what the perp did previously, did these officers have a right to beat a defenseless man, lying unconscience? You know they could plainly see he was out when they arrived. They rushed him. Had the perp remained in the van, they would have proceeded with caution.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Beating an unconscious person is too much scrutiny?

Being fired for going over the edge and not getting the opportunity to learn from his mistake and given a chance to be rehabilitated, as the criminal surely will, because he was hopped up on adrenaline. Is too much scrutiny....

Monday morning QB's know better, I know, but try playing the game and see if you never make any mistakes.....

Brock
05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
LOL. I see CC still hasn't ever met a POS cop that he wouldn't defend.

bogey
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Being fired for going over the edge and not getting the opportunity to learn from his mistake and given a chance to be rehabilitated, as the criminal surely will, because he was hopped up on adrenaline. Is too much scrutiny....

Monday morning QB's know better, I know, but try playing the game and see if you never make any mistakes.....

I did not choose to play their game, they did. There are different levels of mistakes. They made a HUGE mistake. If I get caught surfing porn at work, I will likely get a second chance. If I beat the hell out of another employee becaused he pissed me off beyond sound reasoning, I would be fired.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Monday morning QB's know better, I know, but try playing the game and see if you never make any mistakes.....Think about this for a minute. These cops struck, repeatedly, an unconscience person. You think they should keep their jobs? Hell, I think they should also be charged with battery. They weren't defending themselves at the time they were beating him.

bogey
05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Think about this for a minute. These cops struck, repeatedly, an unconscience person. You think they should keep their jobs? Hell, I think they should also be charged with battery. They weren't defending themselves at the time they were beating him.

I totally agree. Or, in internet jargon... "This"

Chiefnj2
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM

If a 7th grade teacher has a child in their class that is throwing sharpened pencils around the classroom, specifically aiming for the eyes of other children, is the teacher allowed to knock the kid out and beat him while he is unconscious?

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
If a 7th grade teacher has a child in their class that is throwing sharpened pencils around the classroom, specifically aiming for the eyes of other children, is the teacher allowed to knock the kid out and beat him while he is unconscious?

ROFL Here it comes....be ready.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 12:38 PM
LOL. I see CC still hasn't ever met a POS cop that he wouldn't defend.

I wondered when I would see you on this.... LOL - I didn't defend him, I defended the reasoning to not fire these guys. Just a different perspective I guess....

I did not choose to play their game, they did. There are different levels of mistakes. They made a HUGE mistake. If I get caught surfing porn at work, I will likely get a second chance. If I beat the hell out of another employee becaused he pissed me off beyond sound reasoning, I would be fired.

totally missing my point about the other cases that will be dropped because these guys are fired and the medically proven facts about how adrenaline effects your body, mind, decisions. There should be an allowance for these effects in deciding judgement on these guys actions. That is all.

Think about this for a minute. These cops struck, repeatedly, an unconscience person. You think they should keep their jobs? Hell, I think they should also be charged with battery. They weren't defending themselves at the time they were beating him.

Yes, I do. And given treatment, education and the opportunity to still be a productive police officer; given that this is a one time incident (if it isn't, then it's a different story all together).

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM

don't be ignorant....

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
ROFL Sorry to laugh, but I had a flashback to jr. high school and a few teachers who'd have loved doing that very thing.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, I do. And given treatment, education and the opportunity to still be a productive police officer; given that this is a one time incident (if it isn't, then it's a different story all together).So, you believe cops are above the law?

bogey
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
I wondered when I would see you on this.... LOL - I didn't defend him, I defended the reasoning to not fire these guys. Just a different perspective I guess....

totally missing my point about the other cases that will be dropped because these guys are fired and the medically proven facts about how adrenaline effects your body, mind, decisions. There should be an allowance for these effects in deciding judgement on these guys actions. That is all.

Yes, I do. And given treatment, education and the opportunity to still be a productive police officer; given that this is a one time incident (if it isn't, then it's a different story all together).

I don't know, but I would assume that training to be a police officer includes controling adrenaline. At the very least, a person going in to the field of law enforcement should anticipate they're going to be in situations that causes adrenaline to pump and they need to handle it.

Brock
05-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Yeah, a different, biased perspective.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe they can get on at Guantanamo Bay?

Saggysack
05-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes, this is also a beating. And, IMO King asked for this because he would not cooperate.

Probaly the easiest ass whooping the guy has had in his life. Atleast he won't remember it. Can't beat that, huh?(no pun intended)

I guess a 45min chase through city streets, trying to kill a LEO by running him over, is cooperating?

You're asking those cops to make a milli-second decision to restrain themselves after a 45 minute chase, just seconds after they saw a fellow officer just run over by the suspect. Impossible I say.

He was physically hit on for 9secs. Probaly about the time it took for them to realize he was out. I'll bet it takes you longer to decide if you have to take a shit.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Look at that awesome 66% lead. By God, I just might still have a little faith left in this Country after all.

wild1
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
what should he have done?

-Shut the fuck up
-Turn that shit down
-Bring a white friend
-Don't drive with an angry woman

Dave Lane
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
The guy was completely out and that was completely uncalled for...

wild1
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
sorry. here you go:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uj0mtxXEGE8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uj0mtxXEGE8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Redrum_69
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
This poll is invalid.

Where the hell is the "Gaz was one of the cops" option

Rain Man
05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
This was initially a tough one, and an interesting thread. But then it got easy once I thought about it.

Here's my thought process in order:

Thought 1: The guy deserved a beating for nearly killing a large number of innocent people while committing criminal acts.

Thought 2: Those guys are really whaling on him, even though he's clearly unconscious.

Thought 3: It's unacceptable for police officers to do that. Especially the guy in the different-colored shirt.

Thought 4: That beating sure didn't last very long.

Thought 5: I read a while back that adrenaline takes over in a situation like this and people lose their high-level judgment.

Thought 6: Why did they do this with a camera on them? Oh yeah, Thought 5.

Thought 7: I'd definitely give them a whopping suspension, but I don't know if I'd fire them if they did this for 10 seconds after a 100-mph, 50-mile chase.

Thought 8: Do I really want police officers who would do something like that?

Thought 9: Wait a minute. What really happened here? Let's examine it.

1. Criminal druggie flips car. From my vantage point, I can see that he's unconscious.
2. Can other police officers see it? They're driving really fast and trying to stop at the scene of a crash.
3. Officer 1 came flying in within a couple of seconds.
4. The other officers saw Officer 1 hitting, so they came in and started hitting.
5. They stopped pretty quickly when the criminal wasn't moving.

It's easy for me to sit here at my desk and say the guy was unconscious, but the police officers were driving like crazy and probably watching the car flip and trying to park their own cars without hitting each other. They likely didn't know if the criminal was unconscious or not. The first guy in sees him lying there, but for all he knows the criminal is just temporarily down or even playing opossum. Officer 1 is within his rights to start whaling away with the nightstick because he's dealing with an active, fleeing criminal (based on what he knows). The other officers then run in and see a physical confrontation going on, and they're going to help the other cop, so they start whaling away. Once they all realize that the criminal is not going to escape, they stop.

I'd suspend them for a couple of days and move on.

It's too bad the criminal didn't die. He's obviously not worthy of life.

wild1
05-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Thought 5: I read a while back that adrenaline takes over in a situation like this and people lose their high-level judgment.

It's true... you hear of people in car wrecks wandering down the interstate barefoot, or bicyclists with broken legs trying to run. Guys who have been shot who didn't feel it, people who shot in self defense who never heard the gun go off, or who think they only shot once but the whole magazine is empty. I definitely think that is true

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
This was initially a tough one, and an interesting thread. But then it got easy once I thought about it.

Here's my thought process in order:

Thought 1: The guy deserved a beating for nearly killing a large number of innocent people while committing criminal acts.

Thought 2: Those guys are really whaling on him, even though he's clearly unconscious.

Thought 3: It's unacceptable for police officers to do that. Especially the guy in the different-colored shirt.

Thought 4: That beating sure didn't last very long.

Thought 7: I'd definitely give them a whopping suspension, but I don't know if I'd fire them if they did this for 10 seconds after a 100-mph, 50-mile chase.

Thought 8: Do I really want police officers who would do something like that?

Thought 9: Wait a minute. What really happened here? Let's examine it.

1. Criminal druggie flips car. From my vantage point, I can see that he's unconscious.
2. Can other police officers see it? They're driving really fast and trying to stop at the scene of a crash.
3. Officer 1 came flying in within a couple of seconds.
4. The other officers saw Officer 1 hitting, so they came in and started hitting.
5. They stopped pretty quickly when the criminal wasn't moving.

It's easy for me to sit here at my desk and say the guy was unconscious, but the police officers were driving like crazy and probably watching the car flip and trying to park their own cars without hitting each other. They likely didn't know if the criminal was unconscious or not. The first guy in sees him lying there, but for all he knows the criminal is just temporarily down or even playing opossum. Officer 1 is within his rights to start whaling away with the nightstick because he's dealing with an active, fleeing criminal (based on what he knows). The other officers then run in and see a physical confrontation going on, and they're going to help the other cop, so they start whaling away. Once they all realize that the criminal is not going to escape, they stop.

I'd suspend them for a couple of days and move on.

This, I'd even go longer on the suspension than a couple of days, just to be on the safe side....

bdeg
05-21-2009, 02:48 PM
I agree Rain Man, except I know that the one wailing on his head knew he was unconscious.

guaranteed.

but that's exactly what I was thinking for the rest of them.

Redrum_69
05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Clearly the driver was going for a gun...

or maybe he thought if he played dead the bear would leave him alone

Tribal Warfare
05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
The cops weren't in the wrong in this one, the driver blatantly ran over a police officer's leg, and unfortunately the driver was black and "rag dolled" thus it was the cop's fault.

Brock
05-21-2009, 02:55 PM
perhaps, being that I've been on that side, and know the rigors better than you probably do. But whatever, I'll at least back up my opinions and have a legitimate conversation about it, instead of flinging poo and hiding in the corner..

Your idea of a legitimate conversation about it is "Sometimes they get a little amped up and bust a dude's head open, it's just part of the job". Fuck that. When your jack-booted buddies get caught doing that on camera, they get fired every time, and deservedly so.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Those cops should have given him ample time to recover, reach into the waste band, remove his .38 and shoot one of them in the face before securing him...just to make it fair.

Rain Man
05-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree Rain Man, except I know that the one wailing on his head knew he was unconscious.

guaranteed.

but that's exactly what I was thinking for the rest of them.

Yeah, he's the one that seemed a little out of control.

Baby Lee
05-21-2009, 02:59 PM
This got me thinking, and I went back and watched the vid again. The cop that he almost "killed" was making a very risky, and not necessary move toward the strip. What he was he going to do, sacrifice his body to stop the vehicle?
He wasn't moving towards the strip, he was deploying the strip into the line of travel when the drive shifted his line of travel away from the strip and into the deployer. Look again, you can see the strip leave his hand as the driver swerved leftward.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Your idea of a legitimate conversation about it is "Sometimes they get a little amped up and bust a dude's head open, it's just part of the job". Fuck that. When your jack-booted buddies get caught doing that on camera, they get fired every time, and deservedly so.

quoted this from where? I didn't type that comment on any public area.

whatever, LOL - I see Brock still hasn't ever met a POS criminal that he wouldn't defend. I also see Brock won't do anything but sit in the corner and sling poo.

Redrum_69
05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Dont yall know its shoot first and ask questions in the morgue later....

BWillie
05-21-2009, 03:15 PM
That was extremely wrong. Sure it was wrong for the dude to swerve at one of their colleagues, but they are cops. It is their job. They aren't supposed to take the shit personally. The guy was laying defenseless after being strewn from the vehicle. He looks like he could of even been dead or paralyzed for all the cops would know. Definitely should of been fired. Only looks like 3 of them were involved in the beating though? Maybe I cant count.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Probaly the easiest ass whooping the guy has had in his life. Atleast he won't remember it. Can't beat that, huh?(no pun intended)

I guess a 45min chase through city streets, trying to kill a LEO by running him over, is cooperating?

You're asking those cops to make a milli-second decision to restrain themselves after a 45 minute chase, just seconds after they saw a fellow officer just run over by the suspect. Impossible I say.

He was physically hit on for 9secs. Probaly about the time it took for them to realize he was out. I'll bet it takes you longer to decide if you have to take a shit.Hey, I never said their job was easy. It is their responsiblity to exercise personal restraint. No excuse.

Tribal Warfare
05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
That was extremely wrong. Sure it was wrong for the dude to swerve at one of their colleagues, but they are cops. It is their job. They aren't supposed to take the shit personally. The guy was laying defenseless after being strewn from the vehicle. He looks like he could of even been dead or paralyzed for all the cops would know. Definitely should of been fired. Only looks like 3 of them were involved in the beating though? Maybe I cant count.

Swerved? The asshole was trying to run over the guy, and the assailant is charged with attempted murder prior to this incident. This guy is perfectly innocent here, and in noway didn't deserve what was coming.

Iowanian
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Those cops would have probably just let him go with a warning if he'd had a bumper sticker on that informed them that he was a 50 at Halo.

kstater
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I think they should have been reprimanded and suspended, but not fired if that was their first incident. As beatings go, that wasn't technically appropriate, but it wasn't much of a beating, as Brock said.

I want to be clear that my "selection" is relevant to the level of scumbag, and that has no skin color.

There are quite a few 20 something dirtheads roaming the streets of my community that could use a night stick to the brainpan.

Pretty much my opinion on the subject. Suspend them for 30 days w/o pay. And some retraining is in order. The heat of the moment got to them, it happens to the best of them.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Swerved? The asshole was trying to run over the guy, and the assailant is charged with attempted murder prior to this incident. This guy is perfectly innocent here, and in noway didn't deserve what was coming.
Its not a matter of if the perp deserved a beating or not. I love how people on here are making excuses for these cops. Sure, they were high on their adrenaline, the perp was too, most likely. Should we execuse his actions?

Adept Havelock
05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm glad TPTB reminded these (former) cops that arresting criminals is their job.

Punishment is the province of the courts and prisons. Not the police.

Tribal Warfare
05-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Its not a matter of if the perp deserved a beating or not. I love how people on here are making excuses for these cops. Sure, they were high on their adrenaline, the perp was too, most likely. Should we execuse his actions?

LOL, It's not an excuse the guy was charged with attempted murder prior to this and he took it upon himself to try to run over another police officer when he was running away from the police. So the requisite action is just, because the man was unstable and needed to be subdued.

crazycoffey
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM

considering the attempted murder charge got reduced to agg assault and including he'll be elligble for parole if he's a good boy at bad boy camp, he's probably only going to do 5 years. Looks like the system took care of excusing the bad guy's actions...

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
LOL, It's not an excuse the guy was charged with attempted murder prior to this and he took it upon himself to try to run over another police officer when he was running away from the police. So the requisite action is just, because the man was unstable and needed to be subdued.Did you see his lifeless body flop onto the ground? I believe he was subdued. I don't argue that the perp deserved an ass-kicking. Its not the officers' job to beat him like they did.

Tribal Warfare
05-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Did you see his lifeless body flop onto the ground? I believe he was subdued. I don't argue that the perp deserved an ass-kicking. Its not the officers' job to beat him like they did.

Yes, I did but that was on camera and not in realtime as it was happening, they were securing that if he was conscious or not until they realized he was out.

BWillie
05-21-2009, 04:21 PM

I didn't say he didn't deserve it. The cops lost their cool. Plain and simple. That guy deserves to get jacked in the face, but it shouldn't of been done by the cops. We have a process in this country..

WilliamTheIrish
05-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Fired.

That doesn't excuse the guy being a scumbag. But they beat an unconcious person. Police are not there as judge, jury and executioner. That was a felonious assault committed by the cops.
Added to that is brutality charge against the cops, department and the city.

Tribal Warfare
05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
That guy deserves to get jacked in the face, but it shouldn't of been done by the cops. We have a process in this country..

I cited before the inviduals misdeeds in the past, and then endangering pedestrians and other police officers ( attempting to run over one), this man was clearly unstable and they needed to make sure he was secured before he could cause anymore damage.

KCSupersized
05-21-2009, 04:53 PM
They should be fired. If they thought they acted responsibly, they would have put the incident in the reports. If there was a cover up, they are admitting guilt. IMO

CoMoChief
05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
You have the situation controlled once he got knocked out. Put your knees on his back or at the most prevent him from doing anything else, but the situation was under control once he was knocked out. The cops should have cuffed him and thats it.

And I dont buy this bullshit the cop didn't see him being knocked out. He was laying on the ground face down, which is what cops usually command people to do when they want to control the scene. Cops like this should be fired. It gives the whole dept a bad rap. The Dallas PD is still being scrutinized for that dumbass that wouldnt let Moats see his dying mother in law.

Just Passin' By
05-21-2009, 05:02 PM

WTF? When did beating the shit out of an unconscious person become a mistake? If you or I do it, it's called "assault" or worse. Let's try this one....

I'm sorry, CrazyCoffey, but I wailed the tar out of your daughter on our date after she got drunk, hit me and then passed out. It was a 'mistake'.

Rain Man
05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Okay, I'm looking at it again. The first guy is on the criminal four seconds after police car stops, and the criminal's vehicle is still moving. I've got no problem with him coming in with the nightstick because at that point you don't know if the guy's unconscious or if he's just momentarily stunned and going to jump up. The other guys come in within another four seconds and the "beating" ends in 15 seconds. The criminal's car has barely stopped moving.

They need some training in that they hit and kicked the guy instead of sitting on his head or whatever, but big deal. If the guy didn't want to be in that situation he shouldn't have led them on a long high-speed chase. Welcome to "being arrested after fleeing and menacing the public".

I'd probably give the head-punching guy a week off without pay and the two kicking guys and the one-late-punch guy a day or two off. Nightstick guy gets a pat on the back.

Rain Man
05-21-2009, 05:16 PM
And I dont buy this bullshit the cop didn't see him being knocked out. He was laying on the ground face down, which is what cops usually command people to do when they want to control the scene. Cops like this should be fired. It gives the whole dept a bad rap. The Dallas PD is still being scrutinized for that dumbass that wouldnt let Moats see his dying mother in law.

You can make that determination in the four seconds it took to get from the car to the criminal? I couldn't. The guy was obviously a dangerous criminal. They'd known that for a half-hour. In the four seconds it takes to run toward him, I think it's perfectly satisfactory to assume that the guy will fight you, even if he's lying face-down. You don't know when he's going to get back up.

Shaid
05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Police have to put their emotions in check. Emotions and guns aren't a good mix. Also, the guys was face down and wasn't moving. He could have had a broken neck, etc. when they jumped on him. People are paid to protect people, this isn't Judge Dredd.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Okay, I'm looking at it again. The first guy is on the criminal four seconds after police car stops, and the criminal's vehicle is still moving. I've got no problem with him coming in with the nightstick because at that point you don't know if the guy's unconscious or if he's just momentarily stunned and going to jump up. The other guys come in within another four seconds and the "beating" ends in 15 seconds. The criminal's car has barely stopped moving.

They need some training in that they hit and kicked the guy instead of sitting on his head or whatever, but big deal. If the guy didn't want to be in that situation he shouldn't have led them on a long high-speed chase. Welcome to "being arrested after fleeing and menacing the public".

I'd probably give the head-punching guy a week off without pay and the two kicking guys and the one-late-punch guy a day or two off. Nightstick guy gets a pat on the back.Lets pretend this did not end in a crash, with the perp falling out of his van. Say he just stopped before overturning his van. The officers would have drawn their weapons and ordered the perp to exit the the vehicle, place his hands on his head, or up in the air. Then, once out of the vehicle he would have been ordered to lie down on his belly, spread out. Isn't this standard procedure? Now, what position was the perp in when the officers approached him, in the video?

Rain Man
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Lets pretend this did not end in a crash, with the perp falling out of his van. Say he just stopped before overturning his van. The officers would have drawn their weapons and ordered the perp to exit the the vehicle, place his hands on his head, or up in the air. Then, once out of the vehicle he would have been ordered to lie down on his belly, spread out. Isn't this standard procedure? Now, what position was the perp in when the officers approached him, in the video?

Yeah, but in that case he would have surrendered. In this case he hadn't surrendered.

jidar
05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
You can make that determination in the four seconds it took to get from the car to the criminal? I couldn't. The guy was obviously a dangerous criminal. They'd known that for a half-hour. In the four seconds it takes to run toward him, I think it's perfectly satisfactory to assume that the guy will fight you, even if he's lying face-down. You don't know when he's going to get back up.

You couldn't? What are you dumb?

vailpass
05-22-2009, 09:14 AM

I hope you are being sarcastic.

crazycoffey
05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
I hope you are being a shit stirrer.

FYP

Rain Man
05-22-2009, 09:24 AM

Kind of. But that's not the point.

You're in a car that's been weaving through traffic at 100 mph chasing a criminal. You then see the criminal's car lose control and flip. You've got a rolling car in front of you as the driver is coming to a stop. He screeches to a stop at the side of the ride and you leap out, running toward him. Are you really going to stop and make that decision in the time it takes to read, "The perp fell out of the car", or are you going to make sure he stays down first?

CoMoChief
05-22-2009, 09:43 AM

If he starts resisting then I understand, then you gotta do something about it.

They saw the veh had flipped, they're not blind, the suspect is lying on the ground face down not moving. At that point you can prevent him from moving around (esp if there are as many cops as there were). Not beat the shit out of him from the get go. You can sit on him and grab his arm. Within SECONDS there were 6-7 cops there. He wasn't going to do much if anything at that point. As soon as he's on the ground the chase is over.

jiveturkey
05-22-2009, 09:43 AM
The cops agreed to follow a certain set of procedures when they signed on to the job. The proper procedure in this situation would have been to approach the perp with their guns at the ready.

They broke protocol and they got fired.

Rain Man
05-22-2009, 09:45 AM
I acknowledge that it's a gray area. I would, though, like to see the dash camera videos from the other two cars to see what those guys were seeing. The car with this video had a perfect view, and according to my best guess the driver was the one cop who immediately backed off.

CoMoChief
05-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I acknowledge that it's a gray area. I would, though, like to see the dash camera videos from the other two cars to see what those guys were seeing. The car with this video had a perfect view, and according to my best guess the driver was the one cop who immediately backed off.

Well whether you want to assume that or not all it would have taken to control the area was to jump on top of him and taken his arms and cuff him. More than likely could have been done by one single cop, but there were 6-7 cops there. The situation was under control once he was lying on the ground.

These cops were fired for a reason. I don't see how this is controversial at all. Cops didn't do their jobs, used excessive force, dumbasses caught it all on camera, and they got fired for it.

bdeg
05-22-2009, 09:57 AM
i wonder if we could see more cops with tasers instead of batons if these keep popping up

jiveturkey
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I acknowledge that it's a gray area.
It's not a gray area for the cops.

Cannibal
05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Criminal are criminally prosecuted. Let's afford that same "right" to our police. If we want people to just beat the shit out of those we think are doing bad things, we don't need to hire a police force. We could round up our own posse and do that. The whole point of having police is to make sure that kind of response doesn't occur so, if they're going to do the same thing we would, why should we pay someone else to do what we'd love to do?

Excellent, excellent point.

Cannibal
05-22-2009, 12:31 PM

This is the only part of your post I agree with.

Cannibal
05-22-2009, 12:33 PM
The cops agreed to follow a certain set of procedures when they signed on to the job. The proper procedure in this situation would have been to approach the perp with their guns at the ready.

They broke protocol and they got fired.

Simple as that.

CoMoChief
05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Kind of. But that's not the point.

You're in a car that's been weaving through traffic at 100 mph chasing a criminal. You then see the criminal's car lose control and flip. You've got a rolling car in front of you as the driver is coming to a stop. He screeches to a stop at the side of the ride and you leap out, running toward him. Are you really going to stop and make that decision in the time it takes to read, "The perp fell out of the car", or are you going to make sure he stays down first?

Yeah you can make sure he's down by sitting on top of him, if he starts resisting at that time take it a level further. you dont run up and just start beating him in the face kicking him etc. But he was clearly down for the count anyway you look at it.

Mile High Mania
05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Why don't we just give the cops the guns that shoot t-shirts at sporting events, maybe even marshmallow shooting guns to defend themselves.

Geez...

No, the officers were not 100% in the right with their actions, but they didn't deserve to be fired for THAT incident. Sure, fine 'em... put 'em on leave or something, but not fired.

Sully
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not a cop, but I would think that if they didn't know he was unconscious, they wouldn't approach him without drawing on him.

Maybe it's too many cop shows...but I can't imagine.

There is no way it wasn't clear that he was unconscious, or at least not aggressive.

I hold cops to a higher standard than just, "Their emotions got ahold of them..."

Chaunceythe3rd
05-22-2009, 03:15 PM
The cops were fired for the wrong reason. I don't mind them meting out a little justice, it was that they did it before a camera. Cops that stupid oughta be fired.

Spott
05-22-2009, 03:23 PM
That first guy with the nightstick and the other dude that was taking turns punching him should definitely be fired. I heard about this video but I didn't realize that the dude was laying there unconscious before they cops started beating him. That being said, I dont have any sympathy for the guy that got arrested.

RNR
05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
We watched a few seconds of a 45 minute chase, this ****ing dump tried to run over a cop in the few seconds shown. The only thing they did wrong was not wait untill they were off camera, at that point they should have stomped a mud puddle in his worthless ass. Too bad they did not have a clear shot and this would not be an issue.