PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone ever looked into moving to the caribbean?

Raiderhader
05-21-2009, 08:38 AM
If so what island and what kind of process was it going to entail?

Donger
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
If so what island and what kind of process was it going to entail?

Yes. Grand Cayman.

luv
No answer to your question. I just wanted to say hey, stranger.

BigRedChief
Hurricane insurance premiumns are sky high?

Donger
05-21-2009, 08:40 AM
No answer to your question. I just wanted to say hey, stranger.

Stranger?

luv
05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Stranger?

I haven't seen him post for a while. Maybe I'm blind? :shrug:

Demonpenz
05-21-2009, 08:45 AM
you watched cocktail on dvd and now you want to be tom cruise

Raiderhader
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Yes. Grand Cayman.

That is actually one of the islands I am considering. Spent part of a day there when on a cruise a few years back. It was raining off and on through out the day so we didn't get to do a lot, but I liked what I saw.

Raiderhader
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
you watched cocktail on dvd and now you want to be tom cruise

Tom Cruise is my bitch.

Raiderhader
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
I haven't seen him post for a while. Maybe I'm blind? :shrug:

It's probably been a month or two.

Coach
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes, because of the weather, beautiful scenery, etc etc.

No, because of high hurricane risk, shark attacks, away from the family

Seems like a push. Heh.

nstygma
05-21-2009, 09:01 AM
While i was in St Thomas, I met a retired couple who ran a scuba shop. they lived in a sail boat and sailed around during the off season. I asked him that same question, where would be the best place to live. He told me he's sailed and spent time at every single island in the carribean, even the tiny ones. and the place they chose to build their retirement home was the dominican republic. He said the people were the nicest of anywhere and the labor was cheap, plus the place is beautiful.

kepp
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
While i was in St Thomas, I met a retired couple who ran a scuba shop. they lived in a sail boat and sailed around during the off season. I asked him that same question, where would be the best place to live. He told me he's sailed and spent time at every single island in the carribean, even the tiny ones. and the place they chose to build their retirement home was the dominican republic. He said the people were the nicest of anywhere and the labor was cheap, plus the place is beautiful.

We've considered retiring to Phuket, Thailand and running a boat tour company. All of my wife's family is in Bangkok so we'd have family there. We honeymooned in Phuket and went on a boat tour and kayaked through sea caves and such. It seemed pretty cool.

Mr_Tomahawk
05-21-2009, 09:07 AM
We've considered retiring to Phuket, Thailand and running a boat tour company. All of my wife's family is in Bangkok so we'd have family there. We honeymooned in Phuket and went on a boat tour and kayaked through sea caves and such. It seemed pretty cool.

haaaa...Phuket...Bangkok... ROFL

bobbything
That is actually one of the islands I am considering. Spent part of a day there when on a cruise a few years back. It was raining off and on through out the day so we didn't get to do a lot, but I liked what I saw.
Did you by chance make it into a taxi? That might change your mind about moving there.

Great Expectations
St. John > Grand Cayman, + it is a US territory.

Saulbadguy
05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Grand Cayman is nice. Expensive.

DaKCMan AP
05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Ya mon. Ever'y ting be irie on de island mon.

Saulbadguy
05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Ya mon. Ever'y ting be irie on de island mon.

Hey mon - c'mere a sec, you look like a good mon, take a look hire at my tings, touch 'em , they good irie - only 5 dollahs, quality tings mon, made em myself. one love.

wutamess
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
How much is housing down there?/ cost of living compared to KC or a midwestern city?

Gonzo
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
How do you all pronounce caribbean?

Do you pronounce it Car-a-be-an, or do you go with the snooty, Carrib-ien?

CoMoChief
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Hurricane insurance premiumns are sky high?

Extremely high. State Farm pulled out of the state of FL for Home Owners Insurance.

CoMoChief
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
My dad looked to get a place in St Thomas. Don't know what the process is with that. St Thomas is a US territory so I dont think it would be that different than what anything else would be. Unless there are special taxes and such I dunno.

SBK
05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Yes. Bocas Del Toro, off the NE coast of Panama. If you make money outside of Panama, or if you get something like $2,500 from pension/retirement plans life is tax free.

Plus, it's further south so there has never been a hurricane, and many people describe Bocas as being the only unspoiled spot left in the Caribbean. It's dope. Lots of folks retiring there now too, so English is the language spoken there now.

Donger
05-21-2009, 10:06 AM
How do you all pronounce caribbean?

Do you pronounce it Car-a-be-an, or do you go with the snooty, Carrib-ien?

The latter.

Gonzo
05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
The latter.

Snob... :harumph:

beach tribe
05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I've been to the bahamas a few times, and to turks a cacos(sp). There's no way i would live there.

BigRedChief
05-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Going to Jamica and the Grand Caymans in late July.

Raiderhader
05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
My folks are going to St. Thomas next week for their 30th anniversary so I'm going to have them scout that out for me.

I don't know if I am going through some sort of early mid-life crisis or what, but I am seriously looking at moving down there and opening a tiki bar on the beach.

MIAdragon
05-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Bermuda is nice it has just about everything you would want, in an island setting but Id love to have a place on either Dominica or Curacao.

TrebMaxx
05-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Going to St. John next month for seven days. This will be our second trip. After our first trip we had the urge to sell everything we own and move there. We started looking at house's on the internet and wow, you need some big time cash for even a cracker box. Getting a boat and living off of it might be the way to go, plus you could leave and take your house with you when hurricanes hit. I am not sure but I think there is even some red tape with local government with seeking employment or getting a business license if I remember correctly.

MIAdragon
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Going to St. John next month for seven days. This will be our second trip. After our first trip we had the urge to sell everything we own and move there. We started looking at house's on the internet and wow, you need some big time cash for even a cracker box. Getting a boat and living off of it might be the way to go, plus you could leave and take your house with you when hurricanes hit. I am not sure but I think there is even some red tape with local government with seeking employment or getting a business license if I remember correctly.

The wife and I get that same feeling every time we are down in the islands.

stevieray
05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't know if I am going through some sort of early mid-life crisis or what, but I am seriously looking at moving down there and opening a tiki bar on the beach.

Can I bartend as Elvis?

KC Dan
05-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Can I bartend as Elvis?Yep and as your "Colonel Tom Parker", I will expect 25% of all your proceeds.:D

stevieray
05-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Yep and as your "Colonel Tom Parker", I will expect 25% of all your proceeds.:Dwho cares?

we'll be on the beach....

Bwana
05-21-2009, 05:12 PM
If I were to do it (and I may some day) it will be San Pedro, Belize. My mother in law lives in Barbados, um, no thanks.

Raiderhader
05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Can I bartend as Elvis?

Absolutely.