PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs From KCC.com : Chiefs Receivers.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
More work for the wideouts

May 21, 2009, 8:56:31 AM by Jonathan Rand (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/jonathan_rand/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/20/jonathan_rand_faq/)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/4E8E24255D9C4F3CB754D5515B990301.JPG?0.7296264575100151

It didn’t take Mark Bradley long to figure out there was a need for a wide receiver like him in Kansas City. Since he arrived, that need has only become more critical.
For the past 15 years, wide receivers have not, surprisingly, been especially high-profile performers for the Chiefs. They weren’t marquee players even when Dick Vermeil’s offenses ranked among the NFL’s top five for five straight years, including league-leading rankings in 2004 and 2005.
Only once during the past 15 years has a wide receiver, Andre Rison in 1997, led the Chiefs in receptions. The team’s other top pass catchers since 1993 have been tight end Tony Gonzalez eight times, fullback Kimble Anders four times and running back Priest Holmes twice.

Such workloads sometimes left enough catches for one wide receiver, like Eddie Kennison, to enjoy a couple of 1,000-yard receiving seasons. The rest of the receivers usually were left with scraps, though Johnnie Morton hit 50 catches in 2003 and 2004 playing opposite Kennison.

That pecking order among receivers has been disrupted. With the trade of Gonzalez to the Falcons, the Chiefs can no longer get by with just one busy wide receiver, and that should be good news for Bradley. He entered off-season workouts as the starter opposite Dwayne Bowe.

Once the Bears released him and he joined the Chiefs before the fourth game last season, Bradley wasted little time carving out a niche for himself.
With Gonzalez working the middle and Bowe out-jumping smaller defensive backs or breaking tackles after short or intermediate throws, Bradley became the primary downfield threat. The top receivers caught 96 and 86 passes, respectively.

Bradley caught 30 passes for 380 yards and three touchdowns, a surprisingly healthy contribution from a player who’d been left at the curb.
“He’s a speed guy, he can stretch the field and that helps out a lot,” said Tyler Thigpen, who took over at quarterback in the seventh game last season.

”He was given a second chance and I think he wanted to take full advantage of that. In one week he learned the offense, then we had a bye week and he was ready to go.

“Give him a lot of credit for putting that responsibility on his shoulders coming in and being able to make plays like he did. They’re expecting big things out of him, and the quarterbacks are expecting big things out of him as well.”
Big things were expected of Bradley when he was a second-round draft choice in 2005. He started four of his first seven games as a rookie, but then suffered a season-ending knee injury. He missed another five games with an ankle injury in 2006 and couldn’t get untracked in Chicago.

Once he joined the Chiefs, though, it became clear why Bradley had been once so highly regarded. He has pretty good size, 6 feet 1 and 201, for a speed receiver and was also a record-breaking high jumper and long jumper in high school. But the NFL is full of elite athletes who are just passing through, and Bradley was on the verge of becoming one.

“When I got here, I was excited about a new start and things are working out so far,” he said after an off-season workout.
“I knew what I was capable of doing, it was just a matter of getting a chance and showing what I could do consistently. Once I got here, I could show that and I took off from there. I got more plays, got more involved in the offense and things started coming my way.”
His involvement in the offense should only deepen because for the Chiefs, a busy second wide receiver is no longer just an option. Now it’s a necessity.
<script src="http://js-kit.com/rating-data.js?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcchiefs.com%2Fnews%2F2009%2F05%2F21%2Fmore_work_for_the_wideouts%2F&p%5B0%5D=%2Fnews%2F2009%2F05%2F21%2Fmore_work_for_the_wideouts&jx%5B0%5D=0"></script><table class="js-ratings-tableWrapper" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>

</td></tr></tbody></table>

DaFace
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for an informative thread title.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for an informative thread title.

I was thinking of you;)

Micjones
05-21-2009, 12:56 PM
We'd be set if he could stay on the field and out of the tub.
The guy's got the goods. He just can't stay healthy.

That's why I think they need to add at least 1 more reliable pass-catcher before camp opens.

DaFace
05-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I was thinking of you;)

Aww...how sweet.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 01:02 PM
We'd be set if he could stay on the field and out of the tub.
The guy's got the goods. He just can't stay healthy.

That's why I think they need to add at least 1 more reliable pass-catcher before camp opens.

I think and hope that the conditioning and up-tempo practice that Haley is implementing is designed specifically to get these guys not only in shape, but to stay that way.
There was a lot of "nice and easy" with Herm and crew.

Aww...how sweet.

LMAO

Micjones
05-21-2009, 01:07 PM
I think and hope that the conditioning and up-tempo practice that Haley is implementing is designed specifically to get these guys not only in shape, but to stay that way.
There was a lot of "nice and easy" with Herm and crew.

If he hadn't struggled with injury all throughout his NFL career I might take solace in that fact.

I really like the guy. I thought he was nails at certain points last year.
He's just made of glass.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
If he hadn't struggled with injury all throughout his NFL career I might take solace in that fact.

I really like the guy. I thought he was nails at certain points last year.
He's just made of glass.

He did flash some great play last year. If he can't be an every down player, he could still be very effective in situations where you're lining up 3 and 4 to go out.

Micjones
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
He did flash some great play last year. If he can't be an every down player, he could still be very effective in situations where you're lining up 3 and 4 to go out.

As it stands...I think the guy should be your #2 WR going into the season.
I just think if I were Pioli I'd get some insurance. Bring in another reliable pass-catcher to compete with Bradley for the job. Worst-case scenario? Bradley wins the job. If he goes down...you'll have someone else there capable of taking pressure off of Bowe.

CrazyPhuD
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
RePrint Em?

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I just think if I were Pioli I'd get some insurance. Bring in another reliable pass-catcher to compete with Bradley for the job. Worst-case scenario? Bradley wins the job. If he goes down...you'll have someone else there capable of taking pressure off of Bowe.

I agree. He and Bowe need to go have the camp of their lives this year because Haley is not going to put faith in guys who miss or bobble the football too often.
And these receivers need to tighten up their routes and execution. There's just a lot of work to do.

Tribal Warfare
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
KCC.com : Chiefs Receivers.

I didn't know kcchiefs.com moved their information to kimberly-clark.com.

Chiefnj2
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Thigpen missed Bradley on a bunch of deep throws last year. He could easily have had another 200-300 yards and 2-3 TDs.

Hydrae
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Engram?

Micjones
05-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree. He and Bowe need to go have the camp of their lives this year because Haley is not going to put faith in guys who miss or bobble the football too often.

And rightly so. It's Bowe's third season.
Time to put on the big boy pants and conduct business like a veteran WR in the NFL. He has the kind of talent that can earn him a nod in the Pro Bowl IF he puts the time in. I think it's mostly an issue of concentration with D-Bowe. Cozy up with the Juggs machine this summer and work on your routes. I think Haley will be a positive influence on he and Bradley though...so I'm optimistic.

Micjones
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Engram?

I think this guy has some good football in him still.
Just don't know that he can be depended on to be a full-time starter at this point in his career. I know his big season was just a couple years ago, but when you're his age...It's almost like you hit a wall overnight.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Time to put on the big boy pants and conduct business like a veteran WR in the NFL. He has the kind of talent that can earn him a nod in the Pro Bowl IF he puts the time in. I think it's mostly an issue of concentration with D-Bowe. Cozy up with the Juggs machine this summer and work on your routes. I think Haley will be a positive influence on he and Bradley though...so I'm optimistic.

I think Haley will prove to be the best long-term value out of this whole regime change and off season.

Buehler445
05-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I think your take is pretty spot on Mic. I agree. I would have liked some more FA talent brought in earlier. JMO.

Micjones
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I think Haley will prove to be the best long-term value out of this whole regime change and off season.

I tend to agree.
To have had a hand in making Larry Fitzgerald a bigger stud than he already was speaks volumes.

Micjones
05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I think your take is pretty spot on Mic. I agree. I would have liked some more FA talent brought in earlier. JMO.

Thank you sir. I suspect that we'll see a couple WR's shake loose, before camp opens, that can figure into our rotation here in Kansas City.

Just Passin' By
05-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Thank you sir. I suspect that we'll see a couple WR's shake loose, before camp opens, that can figure into our rotation here in Kansas City.

I expect the same thing to happen regarding offensive linemen, too.

Micjones
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
I expect the same thing to happen regarding offensive linemen, too.

I hope so. We could stand to pick up a legitimate contender for the RT spot and maybe one other utility Offensive Lineman for depth purposes.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 07:04 PM
I hope so. We could stand to pick up a legitimate contender for the RT spot and maybe one other utility Offensive Lineman for depth purposes.

I'm sure we'll pick up some more players during preseason; there's always some guy who doesn't fit well with Team A, but could flourish with the Chiefs.

Maurice Leggitt comes to mind.

Micjones
05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm sure we'll pick up some more players during preseason; there's always some guy who doesn't fit well with Team A, but could flourish with the Chiefs.

Maurice Leggitt comes to mind.

That's exactly how Mark Bradley came to KC.
Found him on the trash heap.
Turned out to be "another man's treasure".

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 07:47 PM

And we now have an expert garbage man! :)

milkman
05-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I was thinking of you;)

Aww...how sweet.

Will you two just get a room already?

milkman
05-21-2009, 08:51 PM

I am in full agreement with both you and Buehler on the WRs and the O-Line.

However, while it does happen (thrash, treasure), I think our best hope is that Haley and the staff can find a way to get the best out of Webb and our late draft pick, and to light a fire under Richardson's ass.

Skip Towne
05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Aww...how sweet.

Hey DaFace do us all a favor and flush the toilet.

Raised On Riots
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Well, bye.

Micjones
05-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I am in full agreement with both you and Buehler on the WRs and the O-Line.

However, while it does happen (thrash, treasure), I think our best hope is that Haley and the staff can find a way to get the best out of Webb and our late draft pick, and to light a fire under Richardson's ass.

In my mind... No reason you can't do both.
Though I will say this... I've given up on Webb.
That kid has all the tools and simply can't put it all together.
That #2 spot was gift wrapped for him. He was never able to secure it with absolutely NOTHING in front of him. He's had three years to assert himself and hasn't peed a drop.

I'm all for Haley setting fire under his hindparts...
I just don't think this kid's ever going to play to his talent level.
Hopefully I'm wrong about that and he'll have a Joe Horn-esque turnaround to his career.

kcbubb
05-22-2009, 08:05 AM

this is definitely what we hope for. His problems definitely seem to about focus and concentration. Hopefully you are right and Haley can get the best out of these guys and hopefully Bradley won't get injured.

Micjones
05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
this is definitely what we hope for. His problems definitely seem to about focus and concentration. Hopefully you are right and Haley can get the best out of these guys and hopefully Bradley won't get injured.

My guess is that the former will take place.
History's proven that Bradley's probably not going to stay healthy throughout the season.

HemiEd
05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Just use the ignore feature, it works well until someone quotes him.

Raised On Riots
05-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Well, bye.

Skip Towne
05-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Then you get to see that message 80 times per day.

Raised On Riots
05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Then you get to see that message 80 times per day.

It's so hard being you. :deevee:

HemiEd
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Then you get to see that message 80 times per day.Yeah, but it makes the board so much easier to read.

Hydrae
05-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Well, bye.

Did you have to quote him? Now I can see his entry. :cuss:

;)