PDA

View Full Version : Music Riverside "Anno Domini High Definition"

DMAC
05-21-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/3/4/0/234024.jpg

It's out too! Hell of good week.

This rocks, I'm diggin it. It's heavy funky.

Reaper16
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Oh, snap. Off to go link hunting.

The new album from Amorphis leaked today, too. I'm gonna' fire it up as soon as "The Count of Tuscany" ends.

Reaper16
05-22-2009, 05:10 PM
This album is really good.

Molitoth
05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Yup!

Reaper16
05-22-2009, 08:02 PM
This album > Black Clouds & Sliver Linings

DMAC
05-24-2009, 07:30 PM
This album > Black Clouds & Sliver LiningsYep, DT will have to take a seat for a while.

I love Edonist Hedonist

Molitoth
05-28-2009, 10:13 AM
And this thread goes somewhat unnoticed.... such a shame.

DMAC
05-28-2009, 03:51 PM
And this thread goes somewhat unnoticed.... such a shame."If they're so great...why aren't they on the radio?" :shake:

Reaper16
05-28-2009, 04:06 PM
If you don't like this album, then fuck you.

Molitoth
05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
If you don't like this album, then **** you.

I like it a lot, although not as good as Out of Myself or Second life Sydrome.

DMAC
05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I like it a lot, although not as good as Out of Myself or Second life Sydrome.
I think this album will take a lot more listens to get into...more than all of the prior albums.

Molitoth
05-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I think this album will take a lot more listens to get into...more than all of the prior albums.

Yes, it's still growing on me.

unlurking
05-30-2009, 10:31 AM
If you don't like this album, then fuck you.
And fuck you too. :)

I'm not dropping $30 on an import for a band I'm not familiar with. I also don't plan on torrenting it, which leaves me listening to last.fm to get a feel for it. Heard the song "Conceiving You", and have to say it's just not grabbing me. Listened to "After", but still just not into it.

Sounds like something you might hear on an easy listening station. "After" sounds like something from Sting.

Listening to "I Believe" now. Interesting. More fun than the previous two, but still kind of boring.

I guess I don't understand the Prog Metal genre, but to me, this is easy listening. I'm guessing there is some technical musical component that makes this "metal", but I'm not a musician and wouldn't know what it is.

Reaper16
05-30-2009, 01:51 PM
And fuck you too. :)

I'm not dropping $30 on an import for a band I'm not familiar with. I also don't plan on torrenting it, which leaves me listening to last.fm to get a feel for it. Heard the song "Conceiving You", and have to say it's just not grabbing me. Listened to "After", but still just not into it.

Sounds like something you might hear on an easy listening station. "After" sounds like something from Sting.

Listening to "I Believe" now. Interesting. More fun than the previous two, but still kind of boring.

I guess I don't understand the Prog Metal genre, but to me, this is easy listening. I'm guessing there is some technical musical component that makes this "metal", but I'm not a musician and wouldn't know what it is.
Fuck you.

DMAC
05-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Campin and listening to it... Even better.

Oh, and super lol at unlurkins post.
Posted via Mobile Device

unlurking
05-31-2009, 07:27 AM
:D

Sorry guys, I didn't realize metal had mixed with such lofty genres as elevator music. Next time I get on the lift, I'll always wonder how much better Yanni could be with a little mellow guitar solo!

Reaper16
05-31-2009, 10:57 AM
:D

Sorry guys, I didn't realize metal had mixed with such lofty genres as elevator music. Next time I get on the lift, I'll always wonder how much better Yanni could be with a little mellow guitar solo!
No amount of cute emoticons can hide shitty taste.

unlurking
05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
No amount of cute emoticons can hide shitty taste.
Yes ma'am. I sincerely apologize for offending your sensibilities. Please forgive me for not consulting you when I bought my first record as a kid. What would you recommend I do to resolve my heretical music listening habits? An evening of Barry Manilow? A little Seal? Maybe some black tar would put me the proper mood to appreciate this?

Reaper16
05-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes ma'am. I sincerely apologize for offending your sensibilities. Please forgive me for not consulting you when I bought my first record as a kid. What would you recommend I do to resolve my heretical music listening habits? An evening of Barry Manilow? A little Seal? Maybe some black tar would put me the proper mood to appreciate this?
Seal is cool.

DMAC
05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Heh, Barry Manilow :rockon:

unlurking
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
To be honest, I really did try and appreciate some of this stuff. I downloaded that MotW album and listened to the whole thing. I listened to the 3 Riverside songs I mentioned. I'm trying to grasp all types of metal I've missed over the last 20 years. Some of these just seem really far out and spacey. Kinda of like a 78 RPM Pink Floyd record played at variable speeds between 5 and 25 RPM.

This is my mid-life crisis, and deep thought regarding music is NOT on the bill. Something to blare at top speed while I'm getting reckless driving misdemeanors, now that's music!

Reaper16
05-31-2009, 09:25 PM
To be honest, I really did try and appreciate some of this stuff. I downloaded that MotW album and listened to the whole thing. I listened to the 3 Riverside songs I mentioned. I'm trying to grasp all types of metal I've missed over the last 20 years. Some of these just seem really far out and spacey. Kinda of like a 78 RPM Pink Floyd record played at variable speeds between 5 and 25 RPM.

This is my mid-life crisis, and deep thought regarding music is NOT on the bill. Something to blare at top speed while I'm getting reckless driving misdemeanors, now that's music!
The best song ever for this is Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart." Its the very best 80's glam rock song, imo.

To be fair, that maudlin of the Well album was not metal at all. Hey, I have an idea. Lemme embed some death metal that I consider to have plenty of though-provoking-ness but are also balls to the wall, heavy as fuck, exploding with riffage:

Psycroptic (from my fav. death metal album, Scepter of the Ancients):
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6QEloIsly1Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6QEloIsly1Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The unparalleled, jazzy greats known as Atheist:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-J0ncjSR7A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-J0ncjSR7A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still ahead of its time, here's some Lykathea Aflame:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zF6AazbybME&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zF6AazbybME&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

unlurking
05-31-2009, 10:12 PM
That Psycroptic tune is very intriguing. Incredibly sudden transitions. Downloading from Amazon now!

Atheist, not sure. Will have to listen to more. Like a lot of it, but seems really busy for busy's sake. Will look for more for another listen.

Lykathea Aflame seems to have too many jerky transitions for my liking.

The main difference between the three seems to be that the transitions for Psycroptic seem to be, while just as sudden, are between less contrasting rhythms that it just seems smoother. I'll remember to give the other another listen, but I'm enjoying "The Colour of Sleep" right now. Really liking the album so far.

Purchased "Slaughter of the Soul", "Scepter of the Ancients", and "Lifesblood for the Downtrodden" tonight. Pretty pleased with all three so far!

Reaper16
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Maybe Psycroptic can be an entry point into brainiac music for you. ;)
Transitions can seem jerky with more complex music, but its not so much jerkiness as a brilliant ability to fuck with scales and time signatures.

unlurking
05-31-2009, 10:28 PM
But if it fucks with my ability to tap my foot and bang my head I am not happy!

:evil:

Reaper16
05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
But if it fucks with my ability to tap my foot and bang my head I am not happy!

:evil:
I can appreciate complexity and headbang at the same time. You can often find me headbanging in the car to progressive metal.

unlurking
05-31-2009, 11:05 PM
To me that's the biggest difference between those 3 bands. I can easily follow the transitions with Psycroptic without thinking about it. Atheist and Lykathea not so much! They do sound interesting, like a jumble in the newspaper made out of music I would normally like separately. I'll give them some more listens to see if I can find the groove, but right now I've got a lot of new (to me) stuff!

Some Crowbar will make some great faling asleep music tonight!

Molitoth
06-01-2009, 09:42 AM
*sigh*

DMAC
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
The more I have listened to this, the more I realize it might be their best. Each song has such quality, hard guitars, very interesting lyrics, eargasm moments, etc...

The only thing I wish was that there was more. I am wondering if a B-sides will be released sometime in late summer/ early fall, as with what PT did with Nil Recurring.

Molitoth
06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
1) Out of Myself
2) Second Life Syndrome
3) Anno Domini HD
4) Rapid Eye Movement

That's how I rank them.

DMAC
07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Constant rotation

DMAC
08-08-2009, 08:29 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/097fswRQs0k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/097fswRQs0k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4ZvXAMwvMg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4ZvXAMwvMg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Someone help me, I cant stop listening.