PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Doubting The Defense

Count Zarth
05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/867142.html

So we’ve tried to take a long, hard look at what the Chiefs might be doing on defense this year. At first glance, it doesn’t look that bad, does it?

If Tyson Jackson, Alex Magee (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4106676) and Tank Tyler can control things up front, Derrick Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307508), Zach Thomas (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307556), and Tamba Hali (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307451) should be able to do their jobs, right?

But have you considered what can go terribly wrong? It’s not difficult to see how a couple of chinks in the armor might become gaping holes.

1. How much does Zach Thomas have left?

If Thomas wasn’t good enough for the Dallas Cowboys, why is he good enough for the Kansas City Chiefs? That’s the question we ought to be asking ourselves, especially because, despite their reputation, the Cowboys didn’t have a terrific defense last year. Especially in run defense, and especially down the stretch.

Not only did Dallas rank 20th in yards per carry surrendered, in vital, season-ending games against the Ravens and Eagles, Thomas and company gave up gobs and gobs of rushing yards. Philadelphia, not known for it’s running game, piled up over 130 yards rushing, and Baltimore saw both LeRon McLain and Willis McGahee (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3662158) top the century mark.

It’s not like Thomas was injured during this stretch. He was there, recording only four tackles and apparently not making much of an impact. But that’s what happens to ancient middle linebackers with a ton of NFL miles on their body – they become less effective as the season drags on.

If we have an idea of the scheme the Chiefs are going to run, Thomas is going to be clashing with offensive linemen quite a bit. How much of that can he take at 35 years of age? Can he stay healthy? Who can play at any decent level if he’s injured? Potentially, there are some major issues here. Remember what happened to Donnie Edwards (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698852) last season?

2. Tamba Hali may be caught between a rock and a hard place.

We speculated that “The Predator” position might be ideal for Hali because, really, what else does he do particularly well besides rush the passer?

There’s only one problem with that – how well does Hali rush the passer? Especially against left tackles?

We know Hali just finished a season in which he struggled immensely against almost every left tackle he faced. In fact, it was so bad, completely green blindside protectors were making Hali disappear. When Gunther Cunningham finally flopped Hali back over to left end, there was a noticeable difference in his production.

But Hali can’t play left end in this new scheme, can he? He’d have to rush from the outside linebacker position. And frequently, that position is going to have to cover tight ends.

So, just to review – if Hali can’t beat a left tackle, and he can’t cover a tight end, really, what use is he in the 4-3 Under? Potentially, there are some major issues here.

3. How much pressure is on Derrick Johnson?

It’s great that Johnson might finally find himself being put in a position to succeed. If he can roam unmolested by blockers as Karlos Dansby (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4218177) did in Arizona, everything might fall into place for him to dominate and get paid.

Sounds great, but if Johnson is the one being counted upon to be the key playmaker in the defense, how much pressure is he going to be dealing with? What happens if he misses a tackle? Does it lead to a potentially huge play, given that the rest of the front seven might be eating up blockers?

In four seasons, we’ve come to realize that Johnson is tremendously talented, and capable of making big-time, even game-changing plays at times. But we’ve also realized he’s not the best or most consistent tackler in the world.

Put it this way – if Johnson dumps a running back for no gain on one play, and then misses a tackle leading to a huge gain on the next snap, not much has been gained. A cheer from the crowd followed by silence, or perhaps booing, isn’t progress. It’s a repeat of what we saw last season at Arrowhead.

So, have you considered what can go wrong? Even if Tyson Jackson, Alex Magee and Tank Tyler control things up front, Derrick Johnson, Zach Thomas and Tamba Hali might find themselves part of a major issue or three. Until the Chiefs actually start stopping people, these are things we have to consider.

Rausch
05-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't think Thomas or Hali will pan out. Just don't.

But we can't fix everything in one offseason. Just like the first year under Herm the Pioli staff is going to have to take year 1 to evaluate everyone in the new scheme/philosophy.

You just don't know how good or bad they'll be until we try it...

FD
05-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Everyone on the D-line is either too young or out of place. For this upcoming year, at least, they're going to get manhandled.

Mr. Krab
05-24-2009, 04:13 PM
If our defensive line had ever been able to "control things up front" we would of been fine years ago. A big,big IF.

The Bronco Rob
05-24-2009, 04:17 PM
No to mention Glen Dorsey might as well be Ryan Simms at this point.

Huffman83
05-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Less cheeseburgers though.

KCChiefsFan88
05-24-2009, 04:21 PM
The whole team looks like a giant work in progress at this point. I don't think Pioli has done enough this offseason in the way of improvements. Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel and Bobby Engram are essentially window dressing-type improvements because of their advanced ages.

Huffman83
05-24-2009, 04:29 PM
The whole team looks like a giant work in progress at this point. I don't think Pioli has done enough this offseason in the way of improvements. Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel and Bobby Engram are essentially window dressing-type improvements because of their advanced ages.

Agreed. On a positive note, I bet we'll have a decent first 4 games. Then as the season progresses have guys get hurt and be back to a 4-12 team. It would not surprise me at all.

el borracho
05-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Does that article even mention our #5 pick from one year ago?

Also, is anyone but the secondary doing the same things this year as they did last?

Lots of early picks, same potential for disaster. Shame, really, but I don't at this point expect them to be top 20. Of course, I always hope for a happy surprise and I am willing to revisit and ammend that view during preseason.

Huffman83
05-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Of course we want it to work and surprise us. But there's nothing wrong w/ being realistic. If we get 2 more years of the same old shit...then I'm just going to snap.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-24-2009, 05:05 PM

If I was a mod I'd instantly change your username to Retarded Troll for this tripe.

The Bronco Rob
05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
If I was a mod I'd instantly change your username to Retarded Troll for this tripe.

Ahem!

Why The Chiefs Must Trade Glenn Dorsey

Scott Pioli, like Bill Belichick, chooses his words carefully. He speaks delicately to ensure his message is not misconstrued.

Pioli had a very distinct message following this year's draft: The future of the 3-4 DL for the Chiefs lies in his first two draft picks—Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee.

Jackson will start immediately at one of the DE spots, and Tank Tyler will in all likelihood start at NT, but the other DE spot is up for grabs. The main competitors will be Magee, Glenn Dorsey, and Alphonso Boone.

Jackson, at 6'4", 296 lbs., is the ideal size for playing DE in the 3-4 and was a dominating presence at LSU.

Magee, who is 6'3", 298 lbs., was known as a great run stopper at Purdue. Magee is also very versatile, as he played both DE and DT while in college. These attributes will translate well when learning the new 3-4 DE position, where the main concern is containing OL.

Glenn Dorsey, while at LSU, had very few two-gap responsibilities. His main focus was getting to the quarterback; this is how most DTs in a 4-3 defense operate.

Dorsey was very good at getting upfield and being a disruptor. He was a force to be reckoned with while he was on the field.

These kinds of talents are coveted by defensive coaches, especially those who play a form of the Cover 2 defense, and this is exactly why the Chiefs are paying Dorsey $51 million.

Unfortunately, there is no place for a one-gap, disrupting defensive lineman in a 3-4 defense. The responsibilities for these players completely change, and Dorsey doesn't have the body for this.

Just as a reference:

Dallas DEs

Igor Olshansky: 6'6", 310 lbs.
Marcus Spears: 6'4", 305 lbs.

Pittsburgh DEs

Aaron Smith: 6'5", 300 lbs.
Brett Keisel: 6'5", 285 lbs.

New England DEs

Richard Seymour: 6'6", 310 lbs.
Ty Warren: 6'5", 300 lbs.

Glenn Dorsey: 6'1", 300 lbs.

Just doesn't look right.

Jackson and Magee fit in perfectly at 6'4" and 6'3" respectively, with both weighing in at 300 lbs. Not only this, but they were both proficient at stopping the run in college, while Dorsey didn't shoulder much of that responsibility.

Now, you know why Dorsey won't fit in a 3-4 scheme, but finding a trade partner is the hard part.

In Kansas City's defense last year, he was lined up head-up on the offensive guard and asked to try to control him, which didn't allow him to use his lightning-quick first step to try to fly into the backfield. This was much of the reason he didn't perform to expectations.

People around the league saw this bad coaching and still have a lot of faith in Dorsey's ability to be a star in this league. Reports from April were that Atlanta was offering a first and fourth for Dorsey.

The Falcons ended up selecting Peria Jerry, DT from Mississippi, who does a lot of what Dorsey does—disrupt the quarterback. Because of this, they are most likely out of the running for Dorsey.

There are several teams that would be interested, and when trade talks surfaced before the draft, these teams no doubt came out of the woodwork and showed themselves.

Tampa Bay is probably the most likely candidate, as a Cover 2 scheme relies heavily on DTs that rush the passer.

Carolina is another possibility—Julius Peppers wants out and wants to play in a 3-4. They already have a huge run-stuffing DT in Maake Kemoeatu, who is 6'5" and tips the scales at around 350 lbs., and Dorsey would compliment him nicely.

This would be a great trade for both teams, as this would fill the void in pass rushers the Chiefs have as well. Player-player trades rarely happen in the NFL, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up on this one.

The point isn't where Dorsey will go though; it's that he needs to go. He has no place in a 3-4 defense, he is eating away at the salary cap, and he may be riding the pine come Week One this year.

Pioli, before the draft, started the rumors about moving Dorsey, and after the draft started them again with his choice in draft picks.

The question in Kansas City is not if Dorsey is traded, but when.

your welcome!

bdeg
05-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Ahem!

Scott Pioli, like Bill Belichick, chooses his words carefully. He speaks delicately to ensure his message is not misconstrued.

Pioli had a very distinct message following this year's draft: The future of the 3-4 DL for the Chiefs lies in his first two draft picks—Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee.

Jackson will start immediately at one of the DE spots, and Tank Tyler will in all likelihood start at NT, but the other DE spot is up for grabs. The main competitors will be Magee, Glenn Dorsey, and Alphonso Boone.

Jackson, at 6'4", 296 lbs., is the ideal size for playing DE in the 3-4 and was a dominating presence at LSU.

Magee, who is 6'3", 298 lbs., was known as a great run stopper at Purdue. Magee is also very versatile, as he played both DE and DT while in college. These attributes will translate well when learning the new 3-4 DE position, where the main concern is containing OL.

Glenn Dorsey, while at LSU, had very few two-gap responsibilities. His main focus was getting to the quarterback; this is how most DTs in a 4-3 defense operate.

Dorsey was very good at getting upfield and being a disruptor. He was a force to be reckoned with while he was on the field.

These kinds of talents are coveted by defensive coaches, especially those who play a form of the Cover 2 defense, and this is exactly why the Chiefs are paying Dorsey $51 million.

Unfortunately, there is no place for a one-gap, disrupting defensive lineman in a 3-4 defense. The responsibilities for these players completely change, and Dorsey doesn't have the body for this.

Just as a reference:

Dallas DEs

Pittsburgh DEs

New England DEs

Just doesn't look right.

Jackson and Magee fit in perfectly at 6'4" and 6'3" respectively, with both weighing in at 300 lbs. Not only this, but they were both proficient at stopping the run in college, while Dorsey didn't shoulder much of that responsibility.

Now, you know why Dorsey won't fit in a 3-4 scheme, but finding a trade partner is the hard part.

In Kansas City's defense last year, he was lined up head-up on the offensive guard and asked to try to control him, which didn't allow him to use his lightning-quick first step to try to fly into the backfield. This was much of the reason he didn't perform to expectations.

People around the league saw this bad coaching and still have a lot of faith in Dorsey's ability to be a star in this league. Reports from April were that Atlanta was offering a first and fourth for Dorsey.

The Falcons ended up selecting Peria Jerry, DT from Mississippi, who does a lot of what Dorsey does—disrupt the quarterback. Because of this, they are most likely out of the running for Dorsey.

There are several teams that would be interested, and when trade talks surfaced before the draft, these teams no doubt came out of the woodwork and showed themselves.

Tampa Bay is probably the most likely candidate, as a Cover 2 scheme relies heavily on DTs that rush the passer.

Carolina is another possibility—Julius Peppers wants out and wants to play in a 3-4. They already have a huge run-stuffing DT in Maake Kemoeatu, who is 6'5" and tips the scales at around 350 lbs., and Dorsey would compliment him nicely.

This would be a great trade for both teams, as this would fill the void in pass rushers the Chiefs have as well. Player-player trades rarely happen in the NFL, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up on this one.

The point isn't where Dorsey will go though; it's that he needs to go. He has no place in a 3-4 defense, he is eating away at the salary cap, and he may be riding the pine come Week One this year.

Pioli, before the draft, started the rumors about moving Dorsey, and after the draft started them again with his choice in draft picks.

your welcome!
didn't read the whole thing, but...

Richard Seymour was also a 1 gap penetrator, he turned out alright.

Glenn Dorsey has longer arms than the 6-4 Tyson Jackson, so I don't think he's as disadvantaged as you propose

bdeg
05-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Does that article even mention our #5 pick from one year ago?

Also, is anyone but the secondary doing the same things this year as they did last?

actually, not even the secondary will be doing the same thing.

expect Pollard to play a more traditional SS role, and a lot less deep zone.
we'll have to see how much zone the corners play.

wild1
05-24-2009, 05:40 PM
snoozer

Reerun_KC
05-24-2009, 05:42 PM
snoozer
Just like our defense?

crispystl420
05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Agreed. On a positive note, I bet we'll have a decent first 4 games. Then as the season progresses have guys get hurt and be back to a 4-12 team. It would not surprise me at all.

I see it as the other way around . With the youth I picture the team gelling late.

Halfcan
05-24-2009, 06:16 PM
we are milions under the cap and we have just picked up scraps dumped from other teams-very unimpressive offseason

KCUnited
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
The team the runs out onto the field this August will look nothing like the team Pioli/Haley envision for the future. This year is about getting by with what you got.

Just Passin' By
05-24-2009, 06:52 PM
we are milions under the cap and we have just picked up scraps dumped from other teams-very unimpressive offseason

And what players that would have fit the 3-4 should the Chiefs have gone after regardless of cost?

Easy 6
05-25-2009, 07:16 AM
I can only assume that Tyler has made a quantum leap from last year to be talked about so much as the starter at NT, the DT play last year was prolly my biggest gripe...the word 'Manhandled' fits perfectly here.

Though he's not getting any younger, Edwards is the more logical choice here IMO. He can not only hold his own against the run, but *GASP* even collapse the pocket every once in awhile.

Count Zarth
05-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I can only assume that Tyler has made a quantum leap from last year to be talked about so much as the starter at NT, the DT play last year was prolly my biggest gripe...the word 'Manhandled' fits perfectly here.

Though he's not getting any younger, Edwards is the more logical choice here IMO. He can not only hold his own against the run, but *GASP* even collapse the pocket every once in awhile.

Tank Tyler was our best defensive lineman last year.

Comanche
05-25-2009, 02:51 PM

$10 million under the league MINIMUM salary cap!

SenselessChiefsFan
05-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes, Hali struggled against LT's last year when he was lined up nearly inches away from them. This year, he will be rushing from the linebacker spot. It is NOT the same. I don't understand how fans don't get that.

Hali will be coming wide. The DE will occupy the LT. But, EVEN if the LT gets outside to meet Hali.... Hali will already be running full speed.

Also, his coverage has been better than most think. Granted, it was zone coverage, but he played his responsibilities well enough.

Finally, regardless of which side Hali plays on, he won't be in coverage nearly as much as some want to make it out. And, when he is, the coverage will be zoned up, so it won't be that big of a deal.

RINGLEADER
05-26-2009, 07:53 AM
How about seeing what Tyler Thigpen can do?

We know the Chiefs can run the spread defense...

kcbubb
05-26-2009, 01:52 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/867142.html

But Hali can’t play left end in this new scheme, can he? He’d have to rush from the outside linebacker position. And frequently, that position is going to have to cover tight ends.

Here's another question...

Can Vrabel cover the TE?

I'm expecting Antonio Gates to have at least 2 huge games this season.

Count Zarth
05-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Here's another question...

Can Vrabel cover the TE?

I'm expecting Antonio Gates to have at least 2 huge games this season.

Vrabel has played three different linebacker positions over his career. AND HE CAN PLAY TIGHT END. Think about that for a second.

Shox
05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
This will not be a top NFL defense, but it will be a whole lot more aggressive than the pansy defensive approaches used under Herm. So there will be games they give up to much yardage and to many points, but there will be other times when the makings of decent defense will begin to show.

In the end this will be a better defense than in 2008, maybe not a lot better but it will be better.

kcbubb
05-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Vrabel has played three different linebacker positions over his career. AND HE CAN PLAY TIGHT END. Think about that for a second.

does that really matter??? is the skill set for someone who can play TE the same for someone who can cover a TE???

Vrabel will struggle to cover Antonio Gates if he is asked to cover him. That's a huge mismatch.

Count Zarth
05-26-2009, 03:17 PM
does that really matter??? is the skill set for someone who can play TE the same for someone who can cover a TE???

Vrabel will struggle to cover Antonio Gates if he is asked to cover him. That's a huge mismatch.

Page is the one who covers Gates.

I would also like to call Amnorix to the thread.

Inspector
05-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh, I want to see Hali live up to his billing this year. If not then he's a bust.

He gets one more year. Just one.

IMO.

The Bronco Rob
05-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh, I want to see Hali live up to his billing this year. If not then he's a bust.

He gets one more year. Just one.

IMO.

I'll never forget Colonel Klink trying to compare Hali to Leslie O'Neal...

ROFL

KcFanInGA
05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I just want us to hit some dudes in the mouth instead of getting steamrolled all the time. Guess we will find out.

Mecca
05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I'll doubt it because I don't think it's very good, the whole Hali thing just screams that it'll be horrible.

TheGuardian
05-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Ahem!

Just as a reference:

Dallas DEs

Pittsburgh DEs

New England DEs

Just doesn't look right.

your welcome!

Except that the Chiefs won't be running a defense similar to Pittsburgh nor the Cowpokes. Nice try.

Mecca
05-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Why did I know what his post was going to be before I read it?

TheGuardian
05-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Because I smudged it on your face using the doo doo you were eating from Sanchez' butthole?

Don't be mad that I made you look stooopid for arguing with me all that time about what defense the Chiefs would be running. You and that tool Hamas.

Mecca
05-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Because I smudged it on your face using the doo doo you were eating from Sanchez' butthole?

Don't be mad that I made you look stooopid for arguing with me all that time about what defense the Chiefs would be running. You and that tool Hamas.

Well what a well thought out response? Are you 5 years old?

I do however enjoy this attitude on a forum, you should get over yourself.

TheGuardian
05-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Want to know what is even dumber about that article????????

Dorsey in fact, played in a two gap scheme at LSU and was asked NOT to get up the field, which is why he didn't have big sack totals. Whoever wrote this didn't know shit.

TheGuardian
05-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Well what a well thought out response? Are you 5 years old?

I do however enjoy this attitude on a forum, you should get over yourself.

Don't be mad because I made you look stupid. It wasn't hard.

Mecca
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
We should all bow to the almighty knowledge of a poster who has posted the same thing in every post.

TheGuardian
05-27-2009, 05:33 PM
We should all bow to the almighty knowledge of a poster who has posted the same thing in every post.

I wouldn't have to if people like you would quit arguing with me. Then I wouldn't be able to run around saying I told you so over and over again.

Mecca
05-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I wasn't arguing with you I was pointing out your predictability.

Which resulted in you saying doo doo as if you were a child.

chiefs1111
05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Our defense is doomed,we waived Brian Johnston today....

TheGuardian
05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
No you argued with me on these topics before. You got schooled. You're heading down that path again by continuing to argue again. Just stop before I get the paddle out.

KcFanInGA
05-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Because he has used it in at least 3 threads today.....:hmmm:

Mecca
05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Because he has used it in at least 3 threads today.....:hmmm:

He's about as predictable as a broken record and pointing it out resulted in some childish insults, he's the kinda poster we need around here eh?

TheGuardian
05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Again, I have to repeat myself around here because some people, such as yourself, insist on arguing with me on shit you know nothing about then ignore logic. You're also one of those "gotta get the last word" dopes.

Amnorix
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Page is the one who covers Gates.

I would also like to call Amnorix to the thread.

Summoned, I come.

I wouldn't pretend to suggest that I either focused on how the Patriots played Gates or that I remember, really, how he did against us. My memory seems to be that highly athletic TEs have murdered us downfield from time to time over the last few years. I remember one year in particular when that was happening, though much of the blame was pinned on Bruschi rather than Vrabes.

My own sense is that Vrabes just wouldn't be fast or athletic enough to keep up with Gates for too long. Vrabel is the right size, but Gates' speed would be a problem.

Fish
06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Again, I have to repeat myself around here because some people, such as yourself, insist on arguing with me on shit you know nothing about then ignore logic. You're also one of those "gotta get the last word" dopes.

ROFL

FindthedrGuardian?