PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs beginning to get with the program

Tribal Warfare
05-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Chiefs beginning to get with the program (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1215989.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

When the Chiefs started full-squad offseason practice last week, they looked like a new program with a fresh coaching staff.

By week’s end, four practice sessions later, they appeared a bit more like coach Todd Haley’s vision.

“I thought we made progress in a lot of areas,” Haley said. “There’s still a lot of work to do, but there were some encouraging signs. Our tempo of our practice picked up considerably. It was very good. We ran each day after (practice) pretty hard. We got better and better as the week went on.

“We got more schemes put in on each side, and guys seemed to know or figure it out a little better as the week went on. They’re starting to figure out what we want. We’re efficient. We’re on the field and we’re off the field. We’re not out there for two hours.”

The Chiefs take a break from practice this week. They’ll resume next week with two sessions plus a mandatory weekend minicamp.

By the time they’re finished with offseason work in the middle of next month, they’ll hold 10 more practices, plus five in the minicamp.

If the current rate of progress continues, they’ll be ready for the start of training camp in late July. The Chiefs looked sloppy in their first practice but were much sharper by the time they finished the week.

“It’s always slow at first when you’re putting in a new offense and trying to get everybody in to the same program,” wide receiver Bobby Engram said. “But I’m encouraged. We’ve got a lot of good players.

“It’s part of the growth process. Guys are trying to feel this offense and get to know each other on the field. Obviously, the first week of practice is going to be slower, a little more uncertain than it will be three or four weeks from now.”

The Chiefs made most progress in the passing game. Dropped balls and scattered passes were the standard earlier in the week. Leaping catches and completed passes were the norm by Friday’s final practice.

“As time goes on, you improve,” Haley said. “If you weren’t improving … I’d be a little more worried. That’s the encouraging part to me.”

The Chiefs are fitting together new pieces on both sides of the ball. They are transitioning to a 3-4 defensive system and adjusting to a new coordinator, Clancy Pendergast.

Haley, the former offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals, will put his stamp on Chan Gailey’s system. The Chiefs have a new quarterback in Matt Cassel and are adjusting to life without Tony Gonzalez.

“It’s going to take some time,” Haley said. “There’s no doubt. That’s what’s good about this time of year. It’s receivers, tight ends, backs or whoever’s running the routes understanding the coverage. The defense is putting in stuff, too, so they’re throwing a bunch of different looks at them, which makes it difficult.

“I’m trying to have patience and understanding that it’s early and it’s really the first football that we’ve done. The passing game is an intricate deal and it takes time.”

InChiefsHell
05-26-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm not going to quote this jagoff above, but mods, please delete this moron's post...

The Poz
05-26-2009, 06:16 AM
I find it ironic that ignorant, racist jerk-offs such as this clown follow a sport with primarily African-Americans.

Go back to your small-dicked klansmen and toothless women and tell them that you cheer for the black man on Sundays. F*cking loser.

BigRedChief
05-26-2009, 06:30 AM
okay, thats two racist remarks I've seen posted. Why dude?

LaChapelle
05-26-2009, 07:13 AM
It's not 1950 anymore. Your ammo has weakened.

SenselessChiefsFan
05-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Wow... I am about to step in it. I think the racist comment had some truth to it. I think there are a ton of people that were far more critical of Herm Edwards because he was black. He wasn't a straight laced, buttoned up older white guy. And, I think some fans struggled to connect with him.

It is fine for all these black athletes to be playing on the field, much like it was fine for blacks to be working in the field. But, to put one of them in charge? That is just unthinkable.

I am not saying Herm didn't deserve criticsm. I just think the all out hatred of all things Herm was made easier for a lot of fans due to his race.

The Bad Guy
05-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Wow... I am about to step in it. I think the racist comment had some truth to it. I think there are a ton of people that were far more critical of Herm Edwards because he was black. He wasn't a straight laced, buttoned up older white guy. And, I think some fans struggled to connect with him.

It is fine for all these black athletes to be playing on the field, much like it was fine for blacks to be working in the field. But, to put one of them in charge? That is just unthinkable.

I am not saying Herm didn't deserve criticsm. I just think the all out hatred of all things Herm was made easier for a lot of fans due to his race.

You can go jump off a fucking bridge.

Fat Elvis
05-26-2009, 07:44 AM

I think the 6-26 record the last two years may have more to do with it than his race....

HemiEd
05-26-2009, 07:44 AM

Oh fucking bullshit. He destroyed a team, made it continually worse each year he was in KC, would never take any blame, would take credit for anything good, did not respect any of the Chief's traditions, always blamed everyone else, but it was because he was black that we didn't like him? Go fuck yourself.

King_Chief_Fan
05-26-2009, 07:47 AM

BS....Herm sucked no matter the color. Last I know Gunther was hated as much as Herm...oh wait, that is because Gunther is German, oh, I know, there was that white dude Carl Peterson that got canned :grr: Race card being played is for ass hats.

Call out the guy making racist remarks but don't include tons of people didn't like Herm because he was black. It is coincedence that he is black. He sucked as a coach, you hear, sucked as a coach.

CoMoChief
05-26-2009, 08:17 AM

ROFL JFC

Slainte
05-26-2009, 08:25 AM

Nipping at the Jägar this morning, Gunther Fan?...

Brock
05-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Wow... I am about to step in it.

You didn't just step in it, you fell on your ass in it. Losers come in all colors.

Deberg_1990
05-26-2009, 08:37 AM
He wasn't a straight laced, buttoned up older white guy.

Give it a rest dude.

Herm was about as conservative, straight laced, buttoned up as they come.

big nasty kcnut
05-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Herm sucked. He was the 21th cent. Answer to
John mckay

bringbackmarty
05-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Herm sucked. He was the 21th cent. Answer to
John mckay

this......?

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Wow...I think you're as wrong as sending a child to spend the night at Neverland Ranch!

Kerberos
05-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Wow...I think you're as wrong as sending a child to spend the night at Neverland Ranch!

Familiar with that residence are you?

Crush
05-26-2009, 09:36 AM

10/10

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 09:39 AM

Familiar with that residence are you?

I watch the news, yes.

googlegoogle
05-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Deleting posts is for weak assholes.

leave them alone.

Boohoo = blacks on chiefsplanet.

Halfcan
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
another article about nothing-no meat to this thing at all-tell us something that has not been posted a million times

Halfcan
05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Deleting posts is for weak assholes.

leave them alone.

Boohoo = blacks on chiefsplanet.

Someone needs to track down your Real Identity. Ban you both.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Someone needs to track down your Real Identity. Pistol whip you both.

FYP.

googlegoogle
05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
DELETING POSTS IS BULLSH**.

TEX
05-26-2009, 05:20 PM

I'll play along. Herm is only half black. In the past 2 seasons his white half won 6 games. His black half lost 26. :rolleyes: How's that?

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
I'll play along. Herm is only half black. In the past 2 seasons his white half won 6 games. His black half lost 26. :rolleyes: How's that?

LMAO

Mr. Krab
05-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I think we should make a rule. Columnist types cannot use quotes from weeks ago in a story they present as current.

LaChapelle
05-26-2009, 05:27 PM

I was not aware Herm had a white side. I thought it was Asian.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
DE-

Much better.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I was not aware Herm had a white side. I thought it was Asian.

I was not aware Herm had a winning side.

PRIEST
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM

:)

Halfcan
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I think we should make a rule. Columnist types cannot use quotes from weeks ago in a story they present as current.

exactly-talking about a possible switch to the 3 4 like it is Hot off the presses.

Hard to remember the last Great article by a Star writer.

LaChapelle
05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I was not aware Herm had a winning side.

Nor a side of humility.

milkman
05-26-2009, 08:44 PM

So, hating Herman ****ing Edwards because he's dumbass is simply out of the question.

I guess that there must be some racist motive for the hate I had for Marty, ****her and Dick as well, right?

Holy crap, you almost make DonkeyBob look intelligent.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 08:48 PM
If Nonsensical were playing "The Jokers Wild", that post of his would be all devils on the final pull of the lever.

wutamess
05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
What were the racist remarks? :shrug:
I've been on here for 9 years and more and more are coming out of the woodworks.
They used to hide it but now I think they know they're a dieing breed so they're lashing out.

Pants
05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
What were the racist remarks? :shrug:
I've been on here for 9 years and more and more are coming out of the woodworks.
They used to hide it but now I think they know they're a dieing breed so they're lashing out.

It was just over the top, 100% troll type shit. People should just ignore it - trolls hate that.

KcFanInGA
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I like Herm. Just not as our coach.

notorious
05-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I like Herm. Just not as our coach.

Took the words right out of my mouth. He seems to be a pretty damn good person, but his coaching and teams sucked asian, german, indian, swedish, norwegian, canadian, african, etc. BALLS!