PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV I watched 3 episodes of Land of the Lost last night.....

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
When I was a kid, even then, I knew that show was stupid. Now, as an adult, watching it for the first time since 1979, I have no words to describe what a cheap, horrible and stupid show that was.

Now they're making a movie remake of Land of the Lost. There will probably be a TV remake or cartoon version soon.

Baby Lee
05-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Sid and Marty are hacks, end of sentence.

Toadkiller
05-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I bought the series on DVD for my kids, sat through 7 episodes on sunday with them, holy crap I don't remember it being that bad. Some things should just be fond childhood memories.

Buck
05-26-2009, 10:35 AM
There was a marathon on SciFi yesterday. I watched it. Its pretty funny how bad it is.

JD10367
05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
My wife and I bought a Sid and Marty Kroft DVD. It ruined our childhood memories.

We set the TiVo for the Sci-Fi "Land Of The Lost" marathon yesterday. As soon as it started, we realized how horribly cheesy the cheap special effects were and how atrocious the acting was. I turned to her and said, "In this case, this upcoming movie will be one where they CAN'T ruin the TV show, because even Wil Ferrel's acting is better than this."

Let's not forget, though, it WAS made for kids, and it was made at a simpler time. 1974 to 1976; we're talking rotary phones, and only important people like doctors had those newfangled pager thingies. No VCRs, no CDs, no Internet, no cellphones. We hadn't even heard of "Star Wars" yet...

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I watched 3 or 4 episodes on the Sci-Fi marathon yesterday and it made my day. It was so unbelievably horrible and cheesy. I loved it.

The sfx made the original Star Trek series look like a technological wonder. It was like watching an Atari game with a bad plot... expect the sfx weren't as good.

Still brought back my childhood and I enjoyed it. Embrace the more innocent times/bad acting/horrible "plots"/pathetic effects people.

tooge
05-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I watched it too last night with my son. He said that the dinosaurs looked stupid. Heh. The little dolls of Holly and her father going down the hole were hilarious. It was so bad, I wondered if it was out takes or something.

MOhillbilly
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
that shit always sucked. Youd get up at 5 do chores and wait till 6-30 to eat breakfast cause thats when Underdog came on.

Frazod
05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I thought it was awful at the time, but I guess it was a children's TV equivalent of a car wreck, because I kept watching. The fact that the dinosaurs didn't have throats was always pretty funny.

Having seen the trailer for the new movie a couple of times, though, it looks really interesting. Obviously they aren't taking the material seriously. Smart move.

Buck
05-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Also, It looked like there was some sexual tension between Will and Holly.

Was there something going on between the two that we didn't know about?

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Marshall, Will, and Holly, on a routine expedition,
Met the greeaaaaatest earthquake ever knoooowwwn.
High on the rapids, it struck their tiny raft.
And plunged them down a thousand feet below
To the Laaaand of the Loooost.... (repeat/fade/big throatless dinosaur says RRROOOOAAARRRRR!!!!!!!)

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Also, It looked like there was some sexual tension between Will and Holly.

Was there something going on between the two that we didn't know about?

It gets lonely in a land with one chick... even if she's 11.

Buck
05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Wow, what a fitting sig for me....

Frazod
05-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Was Chaka male or female?

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Marshall, Will, and Holly, on a routine expedition,
Met the greeaaaaatest earthquake ever knoooowwwn.
High on the rapids, it struck their tiny raft.(AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!)
And plunged them down a thousand feet below
To the Laaaand of the Loooost.... (repeat/fade/big throatless dinosaur says RRROOOOAAARRRRR!!!!!!!)

FYP.ROFL

I loved it as a kid, but man it sure is goofy today. I liked it primarily for the dinosaurs and slee stacks.

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Neither. He was dipshit.:D

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM

I'm not certain but if I'm Will I'm not buying it a few drinks and taking it home only to find the surprise weiner was hiding all along.

JD10367
05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Trivia: one of the Sleestaks was Bill Laimbeer. :D

JD10367
05-26-2009, 11:20 AM

And a relative.

Sounds like West Virginia or Tennessee. :)

Just Passin' By
05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Who cares about the special effects? It was a kid's show, for crying out loud. That would be the genre that brought us Puffinstuff, Sigmund the sea monster, Spiderman, The Banana Splits, et al....

It's still 9 million times better than watching the Smurfs.

seclark
05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
that shit always sucked. Youd get up at 5 do chores and wait till 6-30 to eat breakfast cause thats when Underdog came on.

damn right...polly purebred was a babe for a dog.

sec

also mr. peabody and his boy, sherman.

Frazod
05-26-2009, 11:32 AM

I remember when he elbowed Holly in the face. That should have been a flagrant.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 11:34 AM

Holy crap I'd forgotten about that. That's some good shit.

Deberg_1990
It was no Electra Woman and Dyna Girl" and "Wonderbug"

MOhillbilly
Thundarr woulda cleaned up the Sleestak 'problem' proper. Ookla would have torn them limb from limb.

chiefs1111
05-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I caught 2 episodes and that was enough...

Buck
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
I watched 3 or 4 episodes on the Sci-Fi marathon yesterday and it made my day. It was so unbelievably horrible and cheesy. I loved it.

The sfx made the original Star Trek series look like a technological wonder. It was like watching an Atari game with a bad plot... expect the sfx weren't as good.

Still brought back my childhood and I enjoyed it. Embrace the more innocent times/bad acting/horrible "plots"/pathetic effects people.

The whole time I was watching it, I was thinking, MST3K would have a field day with this.

notorious
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM

Yep, college kids from the B-Ball team wanted to make some $$$$. Bill was one of them. LOL

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Did the shows producer have a problem with violence? The sleestacks just wandered around, hissing with their arms out. The only thing the humans had to do was wave a torch in their direction and they would back up. There were no fights or anything. Why run all the time? The Sleestacks are slow as hell. Have you seen their feet? They can't run two steps without tripping over their own feet. I wouldn't even be worried about Holly walking around the jungle by herself if the Sleestacks are around. She could take 10 of them in a fair fight. The Sleestacks are the worst monster in history. And what's up with Uncle Buck (or whatevere his name was) showing up? Did the Dad have a contract dispute with the producer or something? The special effects must have been on a shoestring budget. Holly, Wil and the Dad were sitting at a table in their cave when a small earthquake tremor struck. You can see the Dad lift his leg under the table and shake the table twice while the camerman shook the camera and the actors rocked back and forth like Star Trek. Then, there was another tremor while Wil and Holly were in one of those Triangle buildings. There was one of those pedastals with glowing rocks. As the tremor hit, the camera shook, Wil and Holly threw themselves on the floor. While Wil fell, you can clearly see that he put his hand under the pedastal of stones and knocked it over himself. Then, they looked at it like "oh no! the tremor knocked over the pedastal!" Do they think kids are blind? I can't believer how bad this show was. And I knew it as a kid. But, there wasn't anything else on at 10:30am on a saturday morning. The good cartoons were on between 7:00am and 9:00am.

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Yep, college kids from the B-Ball team wanted to make some $$$$. Bill was one of them. LOL

Really? That Sleestack must have been enormous!

Buck
05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
I saw the episode last night where they were following some guys Diary and thought they were going to find a Portal back to their normal time. Instead it was a lava pit in a cave w/ a bunch of Dormant Sleestacks. Well the lava awoke the Sleestacks and the gang got out okay, just by running right by them.

The weird thing was that there was 2 guys dead in the lava pit who were afraid to try and go out because the sleestacks were waiting for them. Morans.

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_JHTx_oCI&feature=related

WTF!

Dartgod
05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Holy crap, I forgot how cheesy that show was.

ROFL

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKG0yRa88qE&feature=related

I guess it WAS the 70's.

Buck
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_JHTx_oCI&feature=related

WTF!

ROFL

I don't know whats better, the explosion in their face, or the lame shocking sequence

Buck
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
And Claythan was trying to tell me Star Trek TOS was worse than this. I find that hard to believe.

JD10367
05-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Let's not forget, we're talking 35 years ago. 1974 is to 2009 what 1939 was to 1974. It's a long time for technology and the media. (Hell, nowadays you can show more cleavage, carnage, and explicit language in a prime-time show than we used to be able to see at the movie theater back then.) Of course the special effects were cheesy; all they had was puppetry and painted glass and stop-motion. Considering the budget was probably about a hundred bucks, they did pretty good!

JD10367
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
And Claythan was trying to tell me Star Trek TOS was worse than this. I find that hard to believe.

Those were cutting-edge effects (and they predated LOTL). The only time I found them cheesy were in the episode with the doomsday "tree trunk with the glowing cigarette-ember end", and the damaged starship that looked like it was being pulled on a string. :D But that lizard guy Kirk was fighting wasn't much better than a Sleestak.

mlyonsd
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
The whole time I was watching it, I was thinking, MST3K would have a field day with this.

MST3K. One of the best shows ever. We still rent old episodes on Netflix.

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pad4HWlKSS0 part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1c99B1Fl4 part 2

There's a part 3, but I don't really care enough to post it.

Deberg_1990
05-26-2009, 12:18 PM
The movie i have no idea how good it will be??

But it appears they went the right route and appeared to make a comedy/spoof.

LOTL is pretty weak source material.

googlegoogle
05-26-2009, 12:30 PM
FYP.ROFL

I loved it as a kid, but man it sure is goofy today. I liked it primarily for the dinosaurs and slee stacks.

:clap:

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jteub57Ds&feature=related[/URL]

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z29DFcHczPo&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jteub57Ds&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftv%2Erightcelebrity%2Ecom%2F%3Fp%3D2642&feature=player_embedded)

I think Holly is high or drunk or desperate.

Ultra Peanut
05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I totally fucking thought Patrick Duffy had starred in the 1991 version. I've been convinced of that for DECADES, now.

Stupid child-UP.

Halfcan
05-26-2009, 01:10 PM
lost in space was kick ass-too bad the movie sucked

rockymtnchief
05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Sadly, if 'Lost In Space' does well at the box office, 'H.R. Puffinstuff' will probably be next.

Frazod
05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pad4HWlKSS0 part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1c99B1Fl4 part 2

There's a part 3, but I don't really care enough to post it.

Jesus. I'd forgotten about the banjo background music.

O the humanity.

JD10367
05-26-2009, 01:44 PM
lost in space was kick ass-too bad the movie sucked

Yeah, but Lacey Chabert turned out fine.

JD10367
05-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Sadly, if 'Lost In Space' does well at the box office, 'H.R. Puffinstuff' will probably be next.

That would be cool. John Madden needs a new job, he could star in it without makeup.

KCChiefsMan
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
ya, it;s like Night Rider for me, I loved that show when I was a kid. I tried to watch a rerun a while back and I couldn't believe I used to like that show.

MOhillbilly
05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Dukes of Hazzard still holds its own for me. FUCKIN YEEEHAAAAA!!!

JD10367
05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
ya, it;s like Night Rider for me, I loved that show when I was a kid. I tried to watch a rerun a while back and I couldn't believe I used to like that show.

I think I'm one of the 153 people in America who actually liked the recent version of "Knight Rider". Mainly 'cause I wanted to be the meat in a Deanna Russo-Smith Cho sandwich.

KCChiefsMan
05-26-2009, 03:00 PM
I think I'm one of the 153 people in America who actually liked the recent version of "Knight Rider". Mainly 'cause I wanted to be the meat in a Deanna Russo-Smith Cho sandwich.

I watched maybe 5 minutes of it and had to turn it off and swear to never watch it again. The part where the asian chick said "lets burn rubber!!" then the car said in it's robot voice "initiating burning rubber" and then the asian chick started giggling nonstop. That was it for me.

John_Wayne
05-26-2009, 03:22 PM
K.I.T.T.

Knight Industries Two Thousand

tooge
05-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Will calling his dad "daddy" whenever there was trouble, all the while having his chest exposed to show the gold chain and tight pants with a sock wadded up by his cock. Does not compute. I always wanted to nail Holly. Course, I was about 8 years old and didn't know what nailing was. Boy was I waaaaayyyy offffff base there.

Dallas Chief
05-26-2009, 03:41 PM

Oh lord I hope not! Anything Sid and Marty did totally creeped me out as a kid. I still can't watch that stuff. Chaka (?) that little mumbling ape-thing, and Witchy-Poo and her cast of misfits gave me the worst nightmares as a wee lad. I am not even joking...:eek:

Frazod
05-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Now I've got the Puffinstuff song stuck in my head.

DAMMIT CARL

:cuss:

Demonpenz
05-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Any word on a zubleezoo movie?

CrazyPhuD
05-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Best TV show EVAR!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CG1WNXgfJYQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CG1WNXgfJYQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

/thread

SnakeXJones
05-26-2009, 05:01 PM
MST3K. One of the best shows ever. We still rent old episodes on Netflix.

I miss the hell out of that show I either download the episodes and burn them to dvd or watch them on youtube

JD10367
05-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh lord I hope not! Anything Sid and Marty did totally creeped me out as a kid. I still can't watch that stuff. Chaka (?) that little mumbling ape-thing, and Witchy-Poo and her cast of misfits gave me the worst nightmares as a wee lad. I am not even joking...:eek:

I wanted to nail the pink Bugaloo in the worst way. She was workin' the Dorothy Hamill hairdo. :hump:

http://www.bugaloos.com/promo2.jpg

Raised On Riots
05-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I miss the hell out of that show I either download the episodes and burn them to dvd or watch them on youtube

"Mc Cloud"!

bevischief
05-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Remind me of as Herm as a coach...

Jethopper
05-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Chucka climb tree!!!