PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Nissan and Mazda

LaChapelle
05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I've read people praising Honda and Toyota. What's the opinions on Nissan and Mazda?

Count Zarth
05-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Did you know Mazda was the name of an ancient god?

You learn something new every day.

LaChapelle
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Zoom Zoom was a god? I did not realize.

Count Zarth
05-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Zoroastrianism FTW!

MTG#10
05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
My Nissan Pathfinder has been the most reliable trouble-free vehicle Ive ever owned.

Deberg_1990
05-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Nissan makes some good cars. Altima, Pathfinder, Maxima, etc......and of course they have their high class Infiniti line.

Mazda is decent. But just a tad below Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

burt
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Nissan and Mazda make fine vehicles. I feel like there are many good manufacturers out there today, but what do I know, there are so many "experts" here.......

Katipan
05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Step daddy is a GM for Nissan. Only cars in that branch of the family that they drive. Mom met her love over a 240ZX and he put her in Zs ever since.

SD just got to test drive some new car they call the Godzilla in Vegas and Nissan just made a high end electric sports car that blows anything American made off the line.

But I drive a Mitsubishi so who am I to talk?

Sfeihc
05-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Right now I think Nissan has the best product line of any manufacturer. I like everything they're putting out these days. If I had to buy a new car right now I'd start by looking at Nissan.

stevieray
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
rx8 was bad ass..IIRC, most insurance companies wouldn't touch it.

I know the esteemed Senator likes his zoomzomSUV.

...at ninety miles an hour...

burt
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Right now I think Nissan has the best product line of any manufacturer. I like everything they're putting out these days. If I had to buy a new car right now I'd start by looking at Nissan.

As a Chevy dealer, I think Lexus still makes the best vehicles on Earth, but ya need to ask, is the price worth it??? I know many that disagree, but dollar for dollar, the Chevy's are a great value.

The Poz
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I currently own a Nissan Rogue and couldn't be happier. It's great on gas too. I actually received $1000 back from the government for owning such a fuel efficient car.

burt
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I currently own a Nissan Rogue and couldn't be happier. It's great on gas too. I actually received $1000 back from the government for owning such a fuel efficient car.

Way cool!

BigVE
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I have a buddy that buys nothing but Nissan's. He is on his 4th Maxima and has put well over 200,000 miles on each one of them with no major problems. My little Nissan has 145,000 and is still going strong with no problems ( KNOCK ON WOOD).

DaKCMan AP
05-26-2009, 06:04 PM
When I was in Pittsburgh earlier this year my rental was a new Altima. It drove very well.

Detoxing
05-26-2009, 06:07 PM
I think it would depend on what year. Mid 90's and older, i would say no. 2000+ nissans are good cars. 2000+ Mazdas are ok. Just do your homework on em. They're not great.

And the latest generation of both are fucking cool. They both have great product lines right now. both over the last 4 years have stepped up.

DaKCMan AP
05-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I think it would depend on what year. Mid 90's and older, i would say no. 2000+ nissans are good cars. 2000+ Mazdas are ok. Just do your homework on em. They're not great.

Some of my family owned Altima's and Maxima's from the mid-90's. Never had any problems with any of them.

Gonzo
05-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Aren't Mazda's and Fords the same?
Posted via Mobile Device

Katipan
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
I had a 98 Maxima. I didn't break it in. I think I hopped on the freeway the second I got it and flew at 90. So it started to make clicky noises a little early. But it was vroom vroom fast.

Altimas beat Maximas the year they came out with that new bubble butt. Ten grand less for the same car only better looking?

EyePod
05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
My gf got a 2007 Mazda 3 for graduation last year. We've been driving it around for almost a year now, and it's been great. The only thing that sucks is that the MPG on the car isn't amazing (24 MPG), but we are doing extensive city driving every day. Other than that, the car's great.

bevischief
05-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Cheaper versions of the same.

rageeumr
05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
I bought my wife a new Altima a year and a half ago and it's been great. My next vehicle will probably be a Titan, Pathfinder or Armada.

Detoxing
05-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock
05-26-2009, 07:15 PM
rx8 was bad ass..IIRC, most insurance companies wouldn't touch it.

The RX-8 sucked. Slow as balls (comparatively) and sucked down gas like there's no tomorrow. Renesis FAIL.

Mazdas and Fords can be the same, but some Mazdas are quite good (Miata), while some are quite terrible.

Nissan is quality. I wouldn't rate Nissan or Mazda any better or worse than Ford. Certainly better than GM, but not as good as Toyota or Honda.

burt
05-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Certainly better than GM, but not as good as Toyota or Honda.

What, pray tell, do you base this theory on?

Spott
05-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I've had 3 Nissans and they've all ran perfect. I sold my Nissan Frontier 2 years ago when it had 200,000 miles on it and they guy who bought from me has no problems since he bought it.

Cannibal
05-26-2009, 08:11 PM
SD just got to test drive some new car they call the Godzilla in Vegas

Godzilla I believe is the Nissan GT-R. It is an engineering masterpiece from what I've read.

500 bhp twin turbo 6 cylinder.

http://www.zcars.com.au/images/2009-nissan-gtr-vspec1.jpg

KC native
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Depends on the model.

I got a 2008 Mazda 3 for the wifey last year and she loves it. The 3 for that year is a great car but the 5 sucks.

wild1
05-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Mazda 6 is a nice car. Nissan makes good stuff all around.

Phobia
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Nissans have a little trouble in water.

My wife had an amazing Pathfinder LE which we loved. It was parked in an underground parking garage and submerged for 3 weeks. It didn't make it. So, it depends on your vantage point.

Deberg_1990
05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Nissans have a little trouble in water.

My wife had an amazing Pathfinder LE which we loved. It was parked in an underground parking garage and submerged for 3 weeks. It didn't make it. So, it depends on your vantage point.

Yes, what was your wife thinking by going with the Nissan over the amphibious assault vehicle?

Skip Towne
05-26-2009, 09:50 PM
All Jap shit is underwater to me. They tried to kill my dad.

Garcia Bronco
05-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Mazda is partly owned by Ford.

Nissans are nice. My Maxima kept me safe in several situations.

PastorMikH
05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
IMO Nissan and Toyota are pretty comparable in dependability. I know people who have had problems with both and success with both.

Dad started working on Datsuns in '74. Worked on Datsun/Nissan for all but about 2 years from '74 to '08 when he retired. He's always told me they are one of the best makes out there for dependability.

Silock
05-26-2009, 11:09 PM
What, pray tell, do you base this theory on?

Anecdotally, the GMs that I have owned (and currently own) suck. The Mazdas and Nissans I have owned did not.

On a more factual basis, both companies are continually more highly rated in long-term dependability than GM.

PastorMikH
05-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Anecdotally, the GMs that I have owned (and currently own) suck. The Mazdas and Nissans I have owned did not.

On a more factual basis, both companies are continually more highly rated in long-term dependability than GM.

The only Nissan I haven't owned after payoff is the Titan I am now making payments on - and I have no doubt that it will still be going many years after it's paid for.

I've owned 2 GMs and 2 Dodges, got rid of all 4 of them before they were paid off because they were giving me too many problems.

BryanBusby
05-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Nissan can be hit or miss. Some Altimas and Sentras can be a bit flaky, but overall they are decent cars. Just do a lot of research on the specific year/type before you buy. Mazdas are pretty decent too. Actually looking at buying a Mazda3 as my next car.

veist
05-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Of those makes what I recall seeing in Car and Driver recently is:
They absolutely love the various Mazda 3s especially the Mazdaspeed 3. The 6 i Touring they rate basically the same as the Accord EX-L. The RX-8 the engine is still the biggest problem. Nissan they love them some GT-R which is basically a budget super car and has the kind of maintenance costs relative to the same (talking things like >$80 liter for transmission fluid). The 370Z they like to compare to a Porsche Cayman S and from my own reading in general its basically a few mods from being track ready. Specifically it needs an engine oil cooler and a diff cooler.

JuicesFlowing
05-27-2009, 04:32 AM
I own a Mazda 3. I've had it 3 years and haven't had a single problem with it. 30 MPG.

epitome1170
05-27-2009, 06:51 AM
The RX-8 sucked. Slow as balls (comparatively) and sucked down gas like there's no tomorrow. Renesis FAIL.

Mazdas and Fords can be the same, but some Mazdas are quite good (Miata), while some are quite terrible.

Nissan is quality. I wouldn't rate Nissan or Mazda any better or worse than Ford. Certainly better than GM, but not as good as Toyota or Honda.

RX8 sucks, but the Miata is good?

FAIL

The RX8 is not built for great 0-60, FWIW. It is built for handling in corners. It's slalom times will match or exceeds just about any car out there. However, it's MPG is not great (18 MPG) and it really sucks in the snow.

Silock
05-27-2009, 07:48 AM

FAIL

The RX8 is not built for great 0-60, FWIW. It is built for handling in corners. It's slalom times will match or exceeds just about any car out there. However, it's MPG is not great (18 MPG) and it really sucks in the snow.

The RX-8 isn't built for great ANYTHING in a straight line. The Mazdaspeed Miata is a much better choice than an RX-8. Handles just as well, and is nearly as fast in a straight line (not to mention it responds MUCH better to modifications with its turbo). Plus, gets better MPG. That 18 mpg figure is highly optimistic. Most models see 13 MPG if they're lucky.

The RX-8 is sexy, though. Great looking car. Just massively disappointing.

Silock
05-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Also, just because I'm an asshole:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/solo_results/final%20results%20for%20book.pdf

Results from the SCCA Pro Solo Nationals.

Yes, it's true that the RX-8 absolutely DOMINATED the B-Stock class. However, it's also true that the Miatas were faster than the RX-8s.

blaise
05-27-2009, 08:20 AM
I have an Altima. It's ok, but when it hit about 40,000 miles the service engine light came on, and when I was stopped at a light it stalled and barely started again. I was told there were problems with the computer sensors and it cost me about $250 to get it fixed. As long as I don't have more problems it's ok, I guess. Still, prior to that we've bought Toyotas and I've never had any problems at all. Maybe it's the luck of the draw.

Katipan
05-27-2009, 08:38 AM
... just made a high end electric sports car that blows anything American made off the line.

Guess I was confused. Thats what happens when a girl talks cars. Not made by Nissan...

http://www.xyhd.tv/2007/10/industry-news/eliica-8-wheeled-electric-car-from-japan/

I want one!

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6592/image15m.th.png (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image15m.png)

Detoxing
05-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Nissan can be hit or miss. Some Altimas and Sentras can be a bit flaky, but overall they are decent cars. Just do a lot of research on the specific year/type before you buy. Mazdas are pretty decent too. Actually looking at buying a Mazda3 as my next car.

This.

Newer Mazdas and Nissans seem great, older ones not so much. Before the release of the Z and the Titan, Nissan was trying to merge with GM just to avoid bankruptcy. Mazda was known to have various electrical problems, the MX-6 had transmission issues, and the 626 didn't have very good build quality. The Mazda 6 and 3 saved them.

Im not saying they were horrible cars, you can surely do worse, but they WERE not on par with Honda or Toyota. I have no idea what they are like now, but they seem well built and i haven't heard any complaints.

Just do your research on that particular car. You can get something that will last, or you can get a piece of shit. I've seen both from both manufacturers.

veist
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM

FAIL

Nobody is dogging the chassis the problem is that the 13B is a terribly underpowered engine for that chassis.

Ralphy Boy
05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Big fan of Nissans. Have had 3 (2 Z's & a Maxima) and used to work at the local Chrysler/Nissan dealer when I was a younger pup. My stepbrother worked in the parts dept on the Nissan side and I was in Chrysler parts. I'll never own a Chrysler, yet my stepbrother has owned about 10 Nissans/Infinitis since.

The new Maxima is good looking on the exterior, but the interior is ugly. Never owned a Toyota, but I'm not a big fan. Looked at several, but the cars felt cheaply put together. I know the Lexus' are much nicer. Have had both a Honda & Acura and both were great cars.

Pitt Gorilla
05-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Love Nissans. Altimas and Maximas are great cars.

jlscorpio
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Nissan Fanboy here. I've owned a Pathfinder, Xterra, and now a Titan. Can't say a bad word about them. IMO, Honda and Nissan make the best vehicles on the road. GM and Chrysler are going belly up because of their product, period.