PDA

View Full Version : Life Any one ever been to the Bahamas?

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
We are flying to Miami on Sunday and boarding a cruise ship Monday for the Bahamas

Nassau, Bahamas; Cococay, Bahamas; Key West, Florida; Miami, Florida

Usually we take the Western Caribbean route, but this time it is just a short little 4 night jaunt in honor of our daughters HS graduation.

We actually won free round trip airline tickets at an air show this last summer so all we had to pay for was the cruise itself.

If anyone has been that route, what is it like in Nassau?

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Nope. No one has ever been.

Try to construct a map, please.

Rain Man
05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
I wanted to go, but after that incident where the flesh-eating spiders swarmed that one cruise ship I changed my mind.

Have a great trip!

Gracie Dean
Nope. No one has ever been.

Try to construct a map, please.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do;jsessionid=0000sanqZ1QS11syiLhl9VJ44F9:12hdhu6tq?packageCode=MJ04S035&sailDate=1090601&date=ANY&selectedCurrencyCode=&promoType=&hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&state=

Spott
Going on Royal Caribbean I see.

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do;jsessionid=0000sanqZ1QS11syiLhl9VJ44F9:12hdhu6tq?packageCode=MJ04S035&sailDate=1090601&date=ANY&selectedCurrencyCode=&promoType=&hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&state=

Cool.

You'll have a blast.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I wanted to go, but after that incident where the flesh-eating spiders swarmed that one cruise ship I changed my mind.

Have a great trip!

we really love cruising...more than any vacation we have taken before.

this is just a new route and we have no idea what the islands will be like. Should be fun and new.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Going on Royal Caribbean I see.

always...

one year the Wichita airport canceled a flight from Wichita to St. Louis...put us on a greyhound to Dallas which broke down 10 times....I KID YOU NOT

needless to say, we missed our boat.

RCL put us up in the marriot in Miami and paid to fly us to Jamaica and then a two hour car trip to catch the boat in Jamaica...THEN refunded us 1/2 the cost of the cruise for each guest. There were 4 of us...

It was not even their fault.

The people in the airport that were going Carnival...they got nothing.

Ever since then we have been loyal to RCL

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Coca Kay island is pretty cool. It's a small private island and they usually let you go to the island all day and they have a big BBQ there. You can snorkel, rent jet ski's, swim, play volleball, etc while your on the island. That was my favorite part of the being on Royal Caribbean. Nassau is ok but it's kind of dirty. They have a bunch of excursions, but if you just want to wander around the Bahamas, you can go to Atlantis or just walk around the shopping district that is right there.

MIAdragon
05-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Hope the weather holds for you, we've been getting pounded with insane thunder storms for the past week.

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Hope the weather holds for you, we've been getting pounded with insane thunder storms for the past week.

No kidding. We are getting flooded here, too. Got another 1-2 inches tonight after getting over a foot last week.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Coca Kay island is pretty cool. It's a small private island and they usually let you go to the island all day and they have a big BBQ there. You can snorkel, rent jet ski's, swim, play volleball, etc while your on the island. That was my favorite part of the being on Royal Caribbean. Nassau is ok but it's kind of dirty. They have a bunch of excursions, but if you just want to wander around the Bahamas, you can go to Atlantis or just walk around the shopping district that is right there.

that is probably what we will do...walk around ...

we dont' like doing all the excursions

The private island sounds great...kind of like the Labadee Haiti one on the WC cruise.

Are their natives that make things to sell on the Coco Kay Island?

Stinger
05-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Family loves to cruise we have been to Nassau for us it was ehhh nothing great, we have smaller kids at the time so did a basic beach thing. I have heard great things about cococay (private island)

Lots of Good info here ~~~~~> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/ and http://www.cruisecritic.com/

Enjoy your cruise .... going to surprise the family with a quick cruise to the Western Carribean middle of next month.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:08 PM

HOpefully by Sunday it will be gone?

We have had more than our fair share of rain here in Dudah but this last week was nice

supposed to rain tomorrow...figures as it is our daughters Grad bbq after she gets her diploma

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Family loves to cruise we have been to Nassau for us it was ehhh nothing great, we have smaller kids at the time so did a basic beach thing. I have heard great things about cococay (private island)

Lots of Good info here ~~~~~> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/ and http://www.cruisecritic.com/

Enjoy your cruise .... going to surprise the family with a quick cruise to the Western Carribean middle of next month.

LOVE the Western Carribean...found a new shopping place in Ocho Rios last time we were there. WONDERFUL!!!

luv
05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
No kidding. We are getting flooded here, too. Got another 1-2 inches tonight after getting over a foot last week.

Wow. Bad weather in Florida? :p

excessive
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
We went this last January. Nassau has all the tourist b.s. right outside the
port. We visited Paradise Island and saw the Atlantis Resort. It is mildly entertaining and very expensive. You can take a taxi for a few bucks. They're much more dependable than the water taxis. For sight-seeing, on Paradise, the Cloisters was pretty cool. All in all, it's not the best stop.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Have a great trip!

Rain Man, you should do that for the "honeymoon" on your second wedding!!! :)

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
that is probably what we will do...walk around ...

we dont' like doing all the excursions

The private island sounds great...kind of like the Labadee Haiti one on the WC cruise.

Are their natives that make things to sell on the Coco Kay Island?

No, the only people that live on that island are Royal Caribbean employees, although most of their employees are native to other countries. If you walk around Nassau, I wouldn't get too far off the beaten path because the neighborhood goes downhill quick once you get away from the tourist areas. Senor Frogs is just past the straw market if you want to go have some drinks.

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Wow. Bad weather in Florida? :p

Lol, the pool is almost too cold to swim in right now. Almost. :)

MIAdragon
05-26-2009, 08:16 PM

LMAO

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
We went this last January. Nassau has all the tourist b.s. right outside the
port. We visited Paradise Island and saw the Atlantis Resort. It is mildly entertaining and very expensive. You can take a taxi for a few bucks. They're much more dependable than the water taxis. For sight-seeing, on Paradise, the Cloisters was pretty cool. All in all, it's not the best stop.

thanks for the tips...

what kind of things shopping wise?

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:21 PM
LOVE the Western Carribean...found a new shopping place in Ocho Rios last time we were there. WONDERFUL!!!

Here's some pics of Coco Kay and one of Atlantis from few years ago. They were taken with my crappy old 35mm so the quality isn't that great.

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
thanks for the tips...

what kind of things shopping wise?

If you are going with your wife/gf she will probably want to go the straw market and the shopping district which is right by the port.

luv

You are so mean. :(

:p

Gracie Dean
Thanks Spott those are beautiful.

luv
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
If you are going with your wife/gf she will probably want to go the straw market and the shopping district which is right by the port.

noswad IS the wife.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM

thanks...I am the wife...:)

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
thanks...I am the wife...:)

ROFL Sorry about that.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
ROFL Sorry about that.

its all good...

I am the sports fanatic in the family

Mr. Plow
05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Nassau rocked. Was there just last month. Straw market was pretty cool - but every damn "shop" had the exact same things it seemed. Plus, there was an overwhelming stench of shit as you walked through the market.

You can walk around with a beer. Stop in one of the many liquor stores, buy a single and drink away.

Also, right off port is a Senor Frogs. Great drinks - and was a lot of fun. Expensive though.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Nassau rocked. Was there just last month. Straw market was pretty cool - but every damn "shop" had the exact same things it seemed. Plus, there was an overwhelming stench of shit as you walked through the market.

You can walk around with a beer. Stop in one of the many liquor stores, buy a single and drink away.

Also, right off port is a Senor Frogs. Great drinks - and was a lot of fun. Expensive though.

hubby will like that info...last year he tried to sneak a bottle on board in our luggage and they snagged it...

What kind of things will we find at the Straw Market?

Spott
05-26-2009, 08:42 PM

It's normally about 120 degrees inside that straw market, too. If you walk outside of Senor Frogs when it gets dark, there are locals that openly try to sell you "nose candy" and hookers that look like Mr T in a dress.

Mr. Plow
05-26-2009, 08:47 PM
It's normally about 120 degrees inside that straw market, too. If you walk outside of Senor Frogs when it gets dark, there are locals that openly try to sell you "nose candy" and hookers that look like Mr T in a dress.

LOL. We went daytime and yes it was hot as fuck in that tent. We were back at our hotel by night time, so we didn't have to deal with the drugs & Mr T hookers.

Mr. Plow
05-26-2009, 08:48 PM
hubby will like that info...last year he tried to sneak a bottle on board in our luggage and they snagged it...

What kind of things will we find at the Straw Market?

All sorts of shit. Purses, trinkets, etc. I bought myself a Rolex for $30. I fucking ripped them off. A REAL Rolex for that much....damn I'm good.

JOhn
05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
NO,

But I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently.:D

Rain Man
05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
we really love cruising...more than any vacation we have taken before.

this is just a new route and we have no idea what the islands will be like. Should be fun and new.

I'm a huge fan as well.

I actually just like being on the ship, though. The stops kind of stress me out because I'm always thinking, "Gotta get back on the boat. Can't get left behind. Can't be late." I think I'd prefer a cruise where you just float around and eat and watch the ocean.

Spott
05-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm a huge fan as well.

I actually just like being on the ship, though. The stops kind of stress me out because I'm always thinking, "Gotta get back on the boat. Can't get left behind. Can't be late." I think I'd prefer a cruise where you just float around and eat and watch the ocean.

I damn near got left behind Cozumel because I had wayyyy too much to drink at some place called Carlos and Charlies. Luckily some members of my group found me and basically carried me back to the ship. I've skipped the excursions on a couple of cruises just to hang out on the boat or just walk around and do my own thing.

wutamess
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Majesty of the Seas... been on that cruise twice.
Great times. Swam with the dolphins for one of the most awesome experiences on earth.

Gracie Dean
05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Great times. Swam with the dolphins for one of the most awesome experiences on earth.

That is the boat we are taking..

Ironically it is the first boat we ever took too

Rain Man
05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
My initial guess is that Hal wasn't the valedictorian of his class in high school.

Rain Man
05-26-2009, 09:42 PM

I kind of figure that the dolphins are saying the whole time, "A-a-a-a-a-h, we know-ow-ow-ow where the sunken treasure-ure-ure-ure ship is-is-is-is. Bring us fish-sh-sh-sh and we'll bring-ing-ing-ing you gold-ld-ld-ld," and you're swimming around saying, "Look at the cool dolphins. They're almost as smart as humans."

banyon
05-26-2009, 09:55 PM

If you want to stay away from stuff like this, Little Abaco and Eleuthra are very quiet and beautiful. Or at least they were 15 years ago.

wutamess
05-26-2009, 10:26 PM
No, I haven't been to the Bahamas. I won't give my hard earned money to a country of nig/gers.

ROFL Why am I not offended?

wutamess
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I kind of figure that the dolphins are saying the whole time, "A-a-a-a-a-h, we know-ow-ow-ow where the sunken treasure-ure-ure-ure ship is-is-is-is. Bring us fish-sh-sh-sh and we'll bring-ing-ing-ing you gold-ld-ld-ld," and you're swimming around saying, "Look at the cool dolphins. They're almost as smart as humans."

Actually 2 of them were flipper (from the series) one was named fat man and I forgot the other one. So I guess there could've been some subliminal messages in there. My dumbass didn't pick up on them

TrebMaxx
05-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Haven't been to the Bahamas - yet, but the wife and I just booked or vacation for St. John. We can't wait to get there. We have 7 days and 6 nights at Caneel Bay Resort http://www.caneelbay.com/. We have a beach front room on Turtle Bay Beach. So far we have also booked a day cruise on the "Bad Kitty" http://www.calypsovi.com/kitty.html to take us to the Virgin Gorda for some shopping, then some snorkeling, and finish up at the Soggy Dollar Bar for some Painkillers (love em). Still looking for some other things to do but I do know we will hit the Carnival while we are there. Its a great street party held in St. John at the time we will be there. We went in 07 and had a blast. Have fun Noswad, enjoy the Caribbean, your cruise sounds like a lot of fun. Something that is on my list of things to do.

Phobia
05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Nassau was probably my least favorite of all our stops but it wasn't bad. We booked our own excursion with some locals. Beautiful country, no doubt about it.

googlegoogle
05-27-2009, 02:48 AM
checkout miami too.

MIAdragon
05-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Its like a hurricane right now with huge hail stones!!

CoMoChief
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I've been 3 times. Great time.

CoMoChief
05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Nassau was probably my least favorite of all our stops but it wasn't bad. We booked our own excursion with some locals. Beautiful country, no doubt about it.

Really not much to do there unless you're at one of the major resorts like Atlantis Hotel.

HemiEd
05-27-2009, 01:25 PM
It has been quite a few years, but like many on here, the Bahamas do not rank in with our top vacation memories.
Our cruise ship, the Dolphin, stopped there for a day. We took some sort of day boat trip to a private Island. We walked around the town some, but as others have said, not something to look forward to.
The highlight, according to the Mrs. was that "the nitty gritty dirt band" or something like that, was with us on the small boat day trip. I had never heard of them, and didn't even notice. It was the first time I had ever seen real live Piranha (sp?)fish though.

catfish307
05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Never been, but will be leaving for there June 6th. Flying into Nassau then spending 8 nights at Atlantis. :D

Saulbadguy
05-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Bahamas are a shithole.

Pioli Zombie
05-27-2009, 08:48 PM
In my pajamas.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gracie Dean
05-30-2009, 08:02 PM

We really love the Western Carribean route, but wanted to try something different. Will take lots of pictures

See you all next week. We leave in 9 hours!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Skip Towne
05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
We really love the Western Carribean route, but wanted to try something different. Will take lots of pictures

See you all next week. We leave in 9 hours!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Is your daughter going?

Gracie Dean
05-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Is your daughter going?

of course

Skip Towne
05-30-2009, 08:15 PM
of course

Just wanted to make sure she got mentioned.

Gracie Dean
05-30-2009, 08:31 PM

no problem :)

beach tribe
05-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Nassau is great, everywhere else in the bahamas is filled with lazy shit heads, that could care less about things like "good service" I stayed in the Bahamas over a week and half covering a lot of areas, going to a lot of restaurants, and I learned that no matter how many people were in the place, you better order your food, and give those good for nothing fuqers your method of payment when your food arrives, and preferably when you order. EVERYWHERE I went, was absolutely infuriating if I didn't do that. I sat down in many places, and there were no more than 3-5 people there, I shit you not, it would take 30 min before anyone would even acknowledge me. After I ordered it took at least 45 min to get my food, and if I finished, and hadn't already given them my CC it would take AT LEAST a half hour before I got the check, and probably another 15min for them to run the card. And it wasn't just for food, it was anything that required service. Bunch of lazy losers on those islands. The cops are corrupt, drugs have run rampant everywhere.

In the more tourism driven areas like Nassau that are pretty much run, and owned, by parties outside the islands, you're gonna get what you expect. If you're like me, and like to see the "real" side of an area, don't waste your time with the Bahamas, have fun in the party areas.

stumppy
05-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Nassau is great, everywhere else in the bahamas is filled with lazy shit heads, that could care less about things like "good service" I stayed in the Bahamas over a week and half covering a lot of areas, going to a lot of restaurants, and I learned that no matter how many people were in the place, you better order your food, and give those good for nothing fuqers your method of payment when your food arrives, and preferably when you order. EVERYWHERE I went, was absolutely infuriating if I didn't do that. I sat down in many places, and there were no more than 3-5 people there, I shit you not, it would take 30 min before anyone would even acknowledge me. After I ordered it took at least 45 min to get my food, and if I finished, and hadn't already given them my CC it would take AT LEAST a half hour before I got the check, and probably another 15min for them to run the card. And it wasn't just for food, it was anything that required service. Bunch of lazy losers on those islands. The cops are corrupt, drugs have run rampant everywhere.

In the more tourism driven areas like Nassau that are pretty much run, and owned, by parties outside the islands, you're gonna get what you expect. If you're like me, and like to see the "real" side of an area, don't waste your time with the Bahamas, have fun in the party areas.

You couldn't pay me to go back to that fuggin place. Sounds like my experience was about like yours.

Phobia
05-31-2009, 09:17 AM
You're all idiots, especially Skip Towne. I hate you and I hope you trip on a cat and break your arm. Nosewad and her daughter should get married in Iowa when they get back from the Moohamas.

Dude, don't start a Sunday like that.

Mr. Plow
05-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Dude, don't start a Sunday like that.

ROFL

The Bad Guy
05-31-2009, 09:53 AM

She was mentioned in the topic starter.

Wait until she comes back to the room at 2 AM with her hair all messed up reaking of OldSpice. I can't wait for that post.

Skip Towne
05-31-2009, 10:04 AM
She was mentioned in the topic starter.

Wait until she comes back to the room at 2 AM with her hair all messed up reaking of OldSpice. I can't wait for that post.

:LOL: