PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Rand: Stability in the secondary

Tribal Warfare
05-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Stability in the secondary (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/05/26/stability_in_the_secondary/)
May 26, 2009, 9:23:30 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

Among the sea changes washing over the Chiefs, the secondary stands out as a familiar patch of sand.

When the Chiefs defensive backs take the field during OTAs, they line up just as they finished 2008. Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr are the cornerbacks and Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page are the safeties.

The secondary hasn’t been fixed because it’s not broken. The starters all have held their own despite trying circumstances, and none has reached his peak.

The returning reserves are also solid – a group that includes CB Maurice Leggett, S Jon McGraw and S DaJuan Morgan. The unit should be additionally strengthened by rookie cornerback Donald Washington, the fourth-round draft pick. The club also added former Browns CB Travis Daniels as a UFA in the off-season.

If the Chiefs all-in youth movement had worked as well for every unit as it’s worked for the secondary, there would have been no need to pull the plug.

The unit was built through the draft, with Flowers and Carr going in the second and fifth rounds, respectively, in 2008, and Pollard and Page going in the second and seventh rounds, respectively, in 2006.

This is the scenario every NFL franchise envisions: drafting players who are talented enough to play and grow together and who develop attachments to their organization and each other.

“We bond together, we’re like brothers,” Flowers said.

“We’ll spend the weekend together, go bowling, something like that. When I was a rookie we all went out on Thursdays.”

Just last week Flowers was mulling a playbook assignment and felt the need for some peer feedback.

“I’m calling Brandon Carr late at night to ask what he thinks about this and that,” Flowers said, “just so we know how to play the same thing when we get on the field. Having that relationship with the other DBs goes a long way.”

Though the faces in the secondary are the same, the scheme will be much different. Gone is the “cover two,” defense, in which defensive backs and linebackers filled zones while the four linemen tried to pressure the quarterback. With the Chiefs totaling just 10 sacks, a dubious NFL record, the defensive backs were routinely trying to cover routes that were allowed too much time to develop.

And considering their defensive backs ranked as four of their top five tacklers, it should be no surprise that the Chiefs rush defense ranked 30th.

If coordinator Clancy Pendergast’s 3-4 defense works as intended, with a more intense and unpredictable pass rush, the defense should improve upon its 13 interceptions of a year ago.

"That’s what I’m looking forward to – getting my hands on the ball,” said Page, who led the Chiefs with four interceptions in 2008. “We’re going to be in position to make hits and be in position to make plays on the ball.”

Pollard, a big-hitting strong safety who led the team with 98 tackles, should be able to make more of them nearer the line of scrimmage.

“I love the defense we’re in now,” he said. “This is the defense we played in college (Purdue). This is me – the box safety running around.”

The cover two was the baby of former coach Herm Edwards, while former defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham added his own wrinkles.

“For three years we were always playing a cover two defense and a couple of other things and we never got really good at one thing,” Pollard said.

“Guys are excited. Our coach is setting us up to make plays – we’re not just sitting back and waiting. This is going to be a different defense. It’s going to be fun.”
190 votes

orange
05-27-2009, 12:14 AM
“For three years we were always playing a cover two defense and a couple of other things and we never got really good at one thing,” Pollard said.

“Guys are excited. Our coach is setting us up to make plays – we’re not just sitting back and waiting. This is going to be a different defense. It’s going to be fun.”

So you couldn't learn the "cover two and a couple of other things" in three years - but now you're going to be good in this new defense overnight?

Gotta love athletes.

Count Alex's Losses
05-27-2009, 12:22 AM
So you couldn't learn the "cover two and a couple of other things" in three years - but now you're going to be good in this new defense overnight?

Gotta love athletes.

ORANGE FADES BACK!

SWISH!

AND THAT'S THE GAME!

InChiefsHell
05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Please. These guys have no problem playing well, I maintain that the coaching sucked and the scheme sucked. Most of these guys probably cut there teeth on a 3-4 defense anyway, I'm sure they will do even better with this scheme.

Raised On Riots
05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
HIGH + KITE = CW.

milkman
05-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Gotta love athletes.

That isn't what he said.

But thanks for playing.

CoMoChief
05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
I thought we got rid of McGraw. PLEEEEEEEEEEASE tell me I'm right.

Raised On Riots
05-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Sorry. We got Beisel AND McGraw.

milkman
05-27-2009, 09:56 AM

You are never right, and this time is no different.

HemiEd
05-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I must say, watching the Herm Chiefs, has given me a new appreciation for defense. Prior to Herm, I loved watching offense.
But this team has been so devoid of a defense, for the last three years, I eagerly anticipate seeing one.

CoMoChief
Sorry. We got Beisel AND McGraw.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: FUCK

CoMoChief
You are never right, and this time is no different.

douchebag

Brock
05-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I must say, watching the Herm Chiefs, has given me a new appreciation for defense. Prior to Herm, I loved watching offense.
But this team has been so devoid of a defense, for the last three years, I eagerly anticipate seeing one.

3 years? Try 10.

keg in kc
05-27-2009, 09:59 AM
3 years? Try 10.Indeed.

milkman
05-27-2009, 10:00 AM

It took Herman fucking Edwards' sorry defenses to give you a new appreciation for defense?

Dick's sorryass defenses didn't do it for you?

Come on Ed.

We grew up watching the great Chiefs defense of the 60s and 70s.

Raised On Riots
05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I remember it as if were yesterday....

Imagine a Chiefs defense that allows NO POINTS WHATSOEVER in the second half of every game, for something like 10 games in a row.

Archie and Edith; sing us off!

"Thoooose were the dayyyyys".:doh!:

milkman
05-27-2009, 10:03 AM
douchebag

Clearly an ineffective one, since the smell of your vagina is still strong.

HemiEd
05-27-2009, 10:42 AM
3 years? Try 10.

Well yeah, you could say that, my bad.

But at least with the DV team, we had an offense to watch.

Herm came in with all of this "defensive minded" pedigree, and he made it a fucking joke. I don't think the DV defenses broke any NFL futility records, but Herm's sure did.

Raised On Riots
05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Well yeah, you could say that, my bad.

But at least with the DV team, we had an offense to watch.

Herm came in with all of this "defensive minded" pedigree, and he made it a fucking joke. I don't think the DV defenses broke any NFL futility records, but Herm's sure did.

Well hell, when you heard "Tampa 2" you should have known right away that you were fucked.

That's not defense.

HemiEd
05-27-2009, 10:49 AM
It took Herman ****ing Edwards' sorry defenses to give you a new appreciation for defense?

Come on Ed.

Perhaps you missed the word "new" and the way I intended it.

I spent more time watching pretty good defenses the first 35 years of watching this team than I did bad ones. I started taking it for granted, especially under Marty.

For almost that entire first 35 years of watching this team, the offense sucked. Then DV and his offense came along, damn that was fun to watch, almost enough to forgive the shitty defense.

But then Herm, he brought it to a whole new low, everywhere. He has made me pine for a defense, never have I done that, never.

"But I am just being more critical because he was black."[/sensiblechiefsfan]

Mr. Krab
05-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Pretty much the only thing Herman Edwards did right, the cornerback position.

Mr. Krab
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
It took Herman fucking Edwards' sorry defenses to give you a new appreciation for defense?

Come on Ed.

You guys some ol' MoFo's. LMAO

milkman
05-27-2009, 11:48 AM
You guys some ol' MoFo's. LMAO

Shut up n00b.

:)

bdeg
05-27-2009, 12:52 PM

Gotta love athletes.

he's not playing out of position anymore, what's so hard about that to understand?

he'll play ss instead of a fs role herm had him in