PDA

View Full Version : Obama Mount Obama National Park

Taco John
05-29-2009, 01:25 AM
For real.

Mount Obama National Park

The Caribbean island country Antigua will rename its highest peak for the president and declare it a national park

Barack Obama might have a long way to go before he's carved into a stone mountainside a la Rushmore, but the popular president can take solace in the fact that he'll already have a mountain and a national park named after him before his first year in office ends. (Not bad—last time I checked, only Teddy Roosevelt has a national park named after him.)

There's just one catch: It's not in the U.S. Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer of the tiny Caribbean nation of Antigua plans to rename the island's tallest mountain in honor of President Obama. He'll also declare it Mount Obama Monument and National Park, and it'll feature a museum, education centers, and "entertainment facilities." Presumably that includes the opportunity to buy Hope Fries and a 32-oz. soda with Obama's beaming face on the commemorative collector's cup.

If that has you worried about traffic jams and the fanny-pack'd brigade in Mount Obama NP, never fear: The Antiguan PM also plans to open a network of hiking trails atop the 1,319-foot massif, formerly known as Boggy Peak.

Spencer hopes the site will serve as a "beacon of hope" for all people, and he's invited President Obama to attend the dedication ceremony on Aug. 4—the president's birthday.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say the president's probably already got birthday plans. But don't fret, Prime Minister Spencer: Aug. 5 is my birthday, and I've be happy to attend the dedication of Mount Alvarez National Park. Just sayin', is all.

—Ted Alvarez

http://www.backpacker.com/mount_obama_national_park/blogs/daily_dirt/1065?utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter01

Taco John
05-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Wow. I vastly underestimated the Obama phenomenon. I knew the guy was huge, but I didn't realize he was this huge.

Guru
05-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Whatever happened to presidents being out of office before things were named for them. Hell, what ever happened to presidents passing away before things were named for them?

orange
05-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Whatever happened to presidents being out of office before things were named for them. Hell, what ever happened to presidents passing away before things were named for them?

When was that?

The city of Washington (D.C) was named in 1791 - during the first president's first term.

orange
05-29-2009, 02:31 AM
Wow. I vastly underestimated the Obama phenomenon. I knew the guy was huge, but I didn't realize he was this huge.

He's a huge symbol of hope for billions of historically downtrodden people. He's also a symbol of the greatness that America can possess when it wants to millions of historically well-off people. Does that piss you off?

Saggysack
05-29-2009, 02:39 AM
And here I thought all the time libertarians were all for staying out of the affairs of other countries.

orange
05-29-2009, 04:04 AM
And here I thought all the time libertarians were all for staying out of the affairs of other countries.

Silly you. Wherever did you get such a notion? Libertarians are people who believe in free-will as opposed to determinism. They "subscribe to the position of incompatibilism which states that an action cannot be both free and physically predetermined in the commonly understood sense. Free actions for the libertarian are ones which could have been different. Traditionally, this has meant that there is no causal chain that necessitated the action prior to the agent freely choosing it; the agent is an originator of causal chains. Libertarianism is contrasted with determinism, which holds that all human actions are causally determined, and compatibilism, which argues determinism is compatible with free will."

:Poke: BEP will be along shortly to explain it.

Saggysack
05-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Silly you. Wherever did you get such a notion? Libertarians are people who believe in free-will as opposed to determinism. They "subscribe to the position of incompatibilism which states that an action cannot be both free and physically predetermined in the commonly understood sense. Free actions for the libertarian are ones which could have been different. Traditionally, this has meant that there is no causal chain that necessitated the action prior to the agent freely choosing it; the agent is an originator of causal chains. Libertarianism is contrasted with determinism, which holds that all human actions are causally determined, and compatibilism, which argues determinism is compatible with free will."

:Poke: BEP will be along shortly to explain it.

:facepalm: :sigh:

redsurfer11
05-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Antigua is one of most corrupt places in the world. Bring plenty of money. The bus to the top will be free. The ride back will cost $200.00

BucEyedPea
05-29-2009, 06:51 AM

I'm wondering when huge posters of Obama will grace public squares here in America?

Dave Lane
05-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Very cool deal

petegz28
05-29-2009, 08:00 AM
This was announced way back when he was elected.

patteeu
05-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Obama would make a good President of Antigua, IMO.

stevieray
05-29-2009, 08:15 AM
..and I saw him rise out of the sea...and he looked like a leopard, had the the feet like a bear and mouth like a lion...

Sully
05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
I hope they build rides and stuff.

petegz28
05-29-2009, 08:55 AM

I heard they were but white males weren't going to be allowed in the park. :D

Something about they lack the rich, life experiences.

SNR
05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
And here I thought all the time libertarians were all for staying out of the affairs of other countries.Because Taco demanded that the US intervene and tell them they can't do that? :spock:

SNR
05-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I heard they were but white males weren't going to be allowed in the park. :D

Something about they lack the rich, life experiences.So are they going to have little paint sample strips at the beginning of the rides?

"You must be THIS black in order to ride the Hope Train"

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
So are they going to have little paint sample strips at the beginning of the rides?

"You must be THIS black in order to ride the Hope Train"

:LOL:

vailpass
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
He's a huge symbol of hope for billions of historically downtrodden people. He's also a symbol of the greatness that America can possess when it wants to millions of historically well-off people. Does that piss you off?

ROFL Dear Leader will be pleased to hear you speak so.

Taco John
05-29-2009, 10:46 AM

You're bad at picking fights. What does me noticing something have anything to do with libertarianism? Actually forget it. Any response you make to this question will be a huge waste in my and everybody's time.

blaise
05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
I named my morning dump Joe Biden.

blaise
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
When was that?

The city of Washington (D.C) was named in 1791 - during the first president's first term.

They should definitely rename D.C. Obamaland.

CoMoChief
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM

The Obamanator, coming to a theme park near you!

***SPRAYER
05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
He's a huge symbol of hope for billions of people historically too stupid to figure out how to navigate the oceans--- even with a set of directions provided to them.

FYP

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
wanna mount that president

Saggysack
05-29-2009, 01:16 PM
You're bad at picking fights. What does me noticing something have anything to do with libertarianism? Actually forget it. Any response you make to this question will be a huge waste in my and everybody's time.

ROFL

Quite the superiority complex you have. What's really the problem? Wife pick on you a little too much last night? Feeling a little left out somewhere in life? You can open up to us tough guy. We won't poke fun. We are your efriends.