PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Determined to remain the minority, GOP bigmouths drive more voters away

orange
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
GOP Hispanic Strategists Stunned, Outraged By Sotomayor Attacks
First Posted: 05-29-09 05:23 PM | Updated: 05-29-09 05:33 PM

Top-ranking Republican strategists who specialize in Hispanic outreach say they are outraged, disturbed and concerned by the type of reception Barack Obama's pick for the Supreme Court has received from conservative activists.

In the days since the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, several prominent conservative voices have leveled unusually blunt attacks at her resume. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and radio host Rush Limbaugh both insisted that the court of appeals judge was a racist for saying that her Hispanic background allowed her to come to better judicial decisions. Former Congressman Tom Tancredo, on Friday, called Sotomayor a member of the "Latino KKK."

The rhetoric has been enough to make Republican strategists in heavily Latino states cringe -- concerned that such slights could cement Democrats advantages among a growing and increasingly influential political constituency.

"Of course this disturbs me," said Lionel Sosa, one of the more influential Hispanic media advisers in the GOP. "I'm not surprised at Rush Limbaugh but I'm very surprised at Speaker Gingrich because he is one of the key people who knows the importance of the Latino vote to the Republican Party. He must realize how his rhetoric, if it does influence any Hispanics, how damaging it could be. This [confirmation] is something that is going to happen anyway. For a senator to have strong opposition to her, they are either not aware of the impact Latinos will have on the next election or they don't care."

Sosa certainly knows what makes the Hispanic voter tick. He has helped with or worked on seven Republican presidential campaigns since 1980, including John McCain's and both of George W. Bush's. He was joined in his lament by several other Hispanic strategists who spoke to the Huffington Post. Even those Republican Hispanics who have served in government said they were deeply worried about the Sotomayor pushback, though they cautioned that it was coming almost entirely from outside the party establishment.

"In the real world, absolutely this rhetoric matters," said former Rep. Henry Bonilla of Texas. "And that's why I think, thus far, the key leadership in Washington has been very cautious and thoughtful in their responses, and I hope that will continue... At the end of the day, people will see [these remarks] for what they are. And realize that this is nothing new coming from various opinionated people on the conservative side. It is nothing different than what comes from the liberal side."

As for Tancredo specifically, Bonilla called his remarks "outrageous." Perhaps, he added, it was a good thing because "credibility goes down the drain when you hear something like that."

Certainly, both he and Sosa acknowledge, taking on the first Hispanic Supreme Court nominee by calling her a racist was not helpful for the GOP's already frayed roots within that community. And while the confirmation battle will likely cool down in the weeks ahead, some GOP advisers who specialize on the Hispanic vote said the blowback from the early salvos could continue to be felt for elections to come.

"I think this is going to have a long-term effect," said Frank Guerra, a GOP strategist who has worked on Rick Perry's gubernatorial campaign in Texas and Jeb Bush's in Florida - both heavily Hispanic states. "For the most part in politics, what gets said meets the immediate need but doesn't address the long-term issues. And some of this dialogue is going to really hurt Republicans in their efforts to attract and keep Hispanic voters... This absolutely matters to the community. This is a watershed moment. It is a first. A Hispanic woman on the Court."

Arguing that about a quarter of the Hispanic vote usually remains undecided going into an election, Guerra concluded that the remarks of Gingrich, Limbaugh and others would help push a portion of that percentage more firmly Democratic.

Democrats gleefully agreed, noting in part that the issue would be exacerbated by a Hispanic media that tends to cover political news in larger chunks than its American counterpart.

"This is the worst of all worlds because these are the kind of comments and quotes that rip through popular culture," said prominent Democratic pollster Celinda Lake. "And people don't realize that media outlets like Telemundo still have a lot more news content then some of the networks like CNN. And so they have longer forums where these things are commented on by pundits and observers. It will be repeated even more because Sotomayor is obviously a huge news item in Latino press. So I think these kinds of comments that people think are isolated and embarrassing actually could have a real impact culturally. And I always think pop culture has a greater impact that policy or politics."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/29/gop-hispanic-strategists_n_209240.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile Obama dropped in on another joint for cheeseburgers - Five Guys. No Dijon this time... jalapenos! ;)

patteeu
05-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Are there really people who are too ignorant to realize that there were going to be Republicans attacking ANY nominee that Obama made just as there were democrats attacking EVERY nominee made by Bush?

BucEyedPea
05-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Are there really people who are too ignorant to realize that there were going to be Republicans attacking ANY nominee that Obama made just as there were democrats attacking EVERY nominee made by Bush?

Yes.

KC native
05-29-2009, 10:33 PM

The issue is what the attacks are not that they are attacks.

Pitt Gorilla
05-29-2009, 10:43 PM
The issue is what the attacks are not that they are attacks.I believe the article made that clear.

wazu
05-29-2009, 10:50 PM

The two "attacks" I've heard are basically people revisiting two quotes of hers:

"The Court of Appeals is where policy is made."

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male."

Both are fair game. The first one demonstrates a desire to legislate from the bench, the second is plainly racist. How shocking that anybody would have a problem with this.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Kinda like the "black" backlash against Dems who conducted their racist and "high tech lynching" of Justice Thomas, I'd say...

:hmmm:

:)

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:13 PM
The two "attacks" I've heard are basically people revisiting two quotes of hers:

"The Court of Appeals is where policy is made."

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male."

Both are fair game.

And neither one of them are from ANY OF HER 3,600 PUBLISHED OPINIONS.

And THAT is why your party lost in November.

BucEyedPea
05-29-2009, 11:15 PM

They did not. They lost due to an unpopular war, overspending and the economy. Geezus! You really think most Americans knew of her opinions?
Or know much about this process?

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
They did not. They lost due to an unpopular war, overspending and the economy. Geezus! You really think most Americans knew of her opinions?
Or know much about this process?

I really think most Americans are tired of this irrelevant bullshit that's manufactured at every turn.

It's stuff a ****ing pedestrian could point out.

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Two unpopular wars, by the way.

stevieray
05-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I really think most Americans are tired of this irrelevant bullshit that's manufactured at every turn.

:LOL:

go get some trim...

BucEyedPea
05-29-2009, 11:23 PM
It's irrelevant to you because it's your guy's nomination at stake. It wasn't irrelevant when your side did it.

It ****ing pedestrian could point that shit out.

I doubt it. This stufff means more to partisans and political junkies like us. Many Americans on the street can't even locate Iraq on a map or even know what form of govt we have or even if DC is a state. Just watch Jay Leno interview some of them.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:27 PM

From the same crowd who....lynched Clarence Thomas. Heh. LMAO

And destroyed the reputation of one of the most brilliant, if ideological, minds ever to be nominated to the court: Robert Bork. Payback is hell.

Priceless.... ROFL

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:27 PM
It's irrelevant to you because it's your guy's nomination at stake. It wasn't irrelevant when your side did it.

Yeah well there's a fucking reason my side was losing 20 years ago and your side's losing now.

Try to find the common strands. I've given you more than enough clues.

BucEyedPea
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah well there's a ****ing reason my side was losing 20 years ago and your side's losing now.

No, our side is not losing now. They lost in 2008. You guys just may be on your way to losing again. Remember, pride cometh before a fall.

And why is it my side? I voted D in 2006 and they didn't change a damn thing.

I do think Americans, speaking generally, are tired of the tone and bickering. But many are fed up with both sides.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah well there's a ****ing reason my side was losing 20 years ago and your side's losing now.

2008....may just end up being 1976, all over again. Don't get cocky just yet. ;)

I'm still taking a wait 'n see approach...but this Hispanic Woman, is NOT the best possible choice. That's already clear. She may still get her spot on the court, only to become the left's version of Clarence Thomas. Congrats on that. Heh.

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:31 PM
From the same crowd who....lynched Clarence Thomas. Heh. LMAO

And destroyed the reputation of one of the most brilliant, if ideological, minds ever to be nominated to the court: Robert Bork. Payback is hell.

Hell? For whose party?

She's going to coast, she's going to get Republican votes, and the GOP is going to alienate millions in the process.

It'll be hell alright, but you've got your victims/winners crisscrossed.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-29-2009, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=Direckshun;5803421]Yeah well there's a ****ing reason my side was losing 20 years ago and your side's losing now.QUOTE]

Right it has more to do with what puppet can con the American people into thinking he's doing what's in their best interest.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Hell? For whose party?

She's going to coast, she's going to get Republican votes, and the GOP is going to alienate millions in the process.

Guess we'll see who's counting chickens before they hatch...won't we??? :shrug:

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:33 PM
2008....may just end up being 1976, all over again. Don't get cocky just yet. ;)

I'm still taking a wait 'n see approach...but this Hispanic Woman, is NOT the best possible choice. That's already clear. She may still get her spot on the court, only to become the left's version of Clarence Thomas. Congrats on that. Heh.

She's not the best possible choice because of a couple things she's said that AREN'T in her opinions, nor particularly supported by them?

I don't know what Little Green Footballs vignette you're relying on for that assumption, but she's a fucking brilliant selection.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:34 PM
She's not the best possible choice because of a couple things she's said that AREN'T in her opinions, nor particularly supported by them?

I don't know what Little Green Footballs vignette you're relying on for that assumption, but she's a ****ing brilliant selection.

Because you started a thread on her.... :spock:

Seriously? :spock:

LMAO LMAO LMAO

BucEyedPea
So what? It tells people that she thinks policy should be made on the bench as a general statement. That means that underlies her opinion making.

Direckshun
Guess we'll see who's counting chickens before they hatch...won't we???

Oh? Want to put something on it?

I want to control the phrase and icon under your username for two months.

Deal or no deal.

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Because you started a thread on her....

Swing and a miss.

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:36 PM
So what? It tells people that she thinks policy should be made on the bench as a general statement.

The Court of Appeals sets broad policy more or less for the district courts beneathe them who rely on their decisions for future interpretations.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Swing and a miss.

My bad....I mistook your licking her clit in the OTHER threads on her as having started one. My bad. Sue me.

:shrug:

;)

BucEyedPea
05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
The Court of Appeals sets broad policy more or less for the district courts beneathe them who rely on their decisions for future interpretations.

Time to nominate Caligua's horse.

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
My bad....I mistook your licking her clit in the OTHER threads on her as having started one. My bad. Sue me.

What?

I did start a thread on her. She was my pick for the vacancy.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:43 PM
What?

I did start a thread on her. She was my pick for the vacancy.

See, I was right. :rolleyes:

That's what I get for giving a kook like you the benefit of the doubt....my bad. :shake:

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Time to nominate Caligua's horse.

Then what exactly does the appeals court do, in your humble opinion.

And if your answer is "to interpret teh Constitution" and nothing more, I may have to rig your car.

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:45 PM
See, I was right. :rolleyes:

That's what I get for giving a kook like you the benefit of the doubt....my bad. :shake:

You were right that I started a thread about her.

But the mere fact that I started a thread about her is not the reason I believe she's a brilliant selection, as you suggested.

Stop me if I'm going to fast for you.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:49 PM
You were right that I started a thread about her.

But the mere fact that I started a thread about her is not the reason I believe she's a brilliant selection, as you suggested.

Stop me if I'm going to fast for you.

:spock:

LMAO

Direckshun
05-29-2009, 11:50 PM
:spock:

Your icon picture and the phrase above it for two months.

Deal or no deal.

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Your icon picture and the phrase above it for two months.

Deal or no deal.

Nah. Not a chance; I'm done with those bets. The one I lost with Hamas traumatized my 13 year old--he'll probably have to resolve that chit in therapy as an adult.

;)

Mainly...no, ONLY...because too many of the "loyal opposition" may not take a principled stand/a reasonable stand given Dem opposition to Bork/Thomas....and may cave into their own insecurities. Pussies.

Direckshun
05-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Mainly...no, ONLY...because too many of the "loyal opposition" may not take a principled stand/a reasonable stand given Dem opposition to Bork/Thomas....and may cave into their own insecurities. Pussies.

So "hell" for whose party?

This is a no-lose for the Dems. Period. And that's only part of the reason she's such a compelling choice for nominee.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2009, 12:05 AM
So "hell" for whose party?

This is a no-lose for the Dems. Period. And that's only part of the reason she's such a compelling choice for nominee.

You are blinded by your hubris. Unwarranted, silly-assed....hubris, I must say. :)

Direckshun
05-30-2009, 12:07 AM
You are blinded by your hubris. Unwarranted, silly-assed....hubris, I must say.

Then put money on it if I'm surely to be wrong.

The only thing that could derail her is a Blago-sized scandal. But absolutely nothing on her record.

Direckshun
05-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Silly-assed hubris, likely. But it's totally fucking warranted.

SBK
05-30-2009, 12:11 AM
It's too bad that people aren't following the press secretary's threats to speak out against this racist lady.

This forum should be renamed 'comedy club' because the stuff people say here cannot be serious. The things people post about how evil the right is when the left is CURRENTLY doing the exact same thing, or how bad the left is because they're doing what the right was doing.....I shouldn't even post in case I ruin the fun.

Direckshun
05-30-2009, 12:15 AM
It's too bad that people aren't following the press secretary's threats to speak out against this racist lady.

This forum should be renamed 'comedy club' because the stuff people say here cannot be serious. The things people post about how evil the right is when the left is CURRENTLY doing the exact same thing, or how bad the left is because they're doing what the right was doing.....I shouldn't even post in case I ruin the fun.

It should be noted that ChiefsPlanet is consistently far out of the mainstream.

SBK
05-30-2009, 12:17 AM
It should be noted that ChiefsPlanet is consistently far out of the mainstream.

Of that there is no doubt. Especially with folks like you and jAZ that have it for Obama so badly you can't see straight. :evil:

BucEyedPea
05-30-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't think CP's is out of the mainstream. I think it is a microcosm. It's just that we're political junkies.

orange
05-30-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't think CP's is out of the mainstream. I think it is a microcosm. It's just that we're political junkies.

It's more like a donut - no middle.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-30-2009, 12:40 AM

who needs the left-right-middle, what exactly is wrong with siding with the truth no matter what side it's on? People act like the person they voted for is their child that can do no wrong, my dad can beat up your dad btw. ;)

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2009, 12:44 AM

Except when those of us, few in number admittedly, refuse to budge from the "middle"...we become the subject of ridicule from both the left and right. Including you BTW.

But...whatever. I'm finally beginning to figure out how to play this joint. :shrug:

It's only taken me 8 years....heh. :banghead:

orange
05-30-2009, 12:55 AM
The ridicule you experience is because YOU are the only one who believes you're a moderate. Once you understand and accept that basic reality, it will all become much clearer.

Fence-straddling is tough in any case, but you're doing it all wrong.

http://www.strangeharvest.com/mrsberlinwall_fence.jpg

Cannibal
05-30-2009, 01:09 AM
who needs the left-right-middle, what exactly is wrong with siding with the truth no matter what side it's on? People act like the person they voted for is their child that can do no wrong, my dad can beat up your dad btw. ;)

Of all of the post of yours I've ever witnessed, this is my favorite.

jAZ
05-30-2009, 01:10 AM
I heard it mentiond the other day, and I thought it was incredibly well put.

From the perspective of a latino voter:

Work hard, doing outstanding in school, get great grades, go to the top school in the world, graduate top of your class, go to one of the best law schools in the nation, be selected law review editor through a blind writing competition, graduate with top honors, have an outstanding legal career... and when you are at the cruxt of reaching the pinacle of your career... Repubilcans say that you got where you are because of your race.

From their perspective, their see those sorts of attacks and say "what the fuck more could she possibly do to earn enough respect to be credited for her hard work and success, instead of being attacked as an intellectual lightweight who was merely a product of racial favoritism and that surely a more deserving white person was passed over because she coudln't have earned it."

The GOP is slitting their throat in an effort to play to their base. It's a stupid *ucking plan, but that's how the GOP works.

jjjayb
05-30-2009, 05:45 AM

I don't know what Little Green Footballs vignette you're relying on for that assumption, but she's a ****ing brilliant selection.

It's okay if she's a racist if she has good opinions? You can't seriously tell me if this was a white man who said his judgement is better than a latina woman's judgement or a black man's judgement, or an asian guy's judgement, based on his being a white man, there wouldn't be an UPROAR over this.

patteeu
05-30-2009, 09:59 AM

While I've heard some attacks that are perhaps more unfair than others, I haven't heard a single, high profile attack on this candidate that any reasonable Hispanic should take as a slight to Hispanics as a group. Anyone who takes it that way has a streak of racism coursing through their veins just like Judge Sotomayor.

mlyonsd
05-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Work hard, doing outstanding in school, get great grades, go to the top school in the world, graduate top of your class, go to one of the best law schools in the nation, be selected law review editor through a blind writing competition, graduate with top honors, have an outstanding legal career... and when you are at the cruxt of reaching the pinacle of your career... Repubilcans say that you got where you are because of your race.

From their perspective, their see those sorts of attacks and say "what the **** more could she possibly do to earn enough respect to be credited for her hard work and success, instead of being attacked as an intellectual lightweight who was merely a product of racial favoritism and that surely a more deserving white person was passed over because she coudln't have earned it."

I'd say that latino voter isn't paying attention. I don't think the mainstream republican main argument about her is how she got where she is, but by how much bias she feels because of her race and how she's used it for political purposes in the past.

That's all I see that raises a flag, but in no way does it disqualify her.

patteeu
05-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Wait a minute.

I thought the Republicans lost because they have Frank Luntz wordsmithing (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5790363#post5790363) their language on the basis of focus groups.

Or because foreign courts don't cite (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5758606#post5758606) our Supreme Court as often lately as they used to.

Or because people sometimes give you shit (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5561466#post5561466) instead of explaining why you're wrong.

Is this really your final answer because my notepad is getting messy with all the corrections.

patteeu
05-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Hell? For whose party?

She's going to be confirmed and she's going to get Republican votes, but your estimation of the impact of this confirmation tussle on the electorate is dramatically exaggerated.

patteeu
05-30-2009, 10:28 AM

We used to have the middle until people got fed up with people like jAZ for spamming the main board and then turncoats like jAZ, in a self-serving act, lobbied to create a separate forum. I know you were a member then, but I don't remember if you were around much at the time.

patteeu
05-30-2009, 10:31 AM

From their perspective, their see those sorts of attacks and say "what the **** more could she possibly do to earn enough respect to be credited for her hard work and success, instead of being attacked as an intellectual lightweight who was merely a product of racial favoritism and that surely a more deserving white person was passed over because she coudln't have earned it."

The GOP is slitting their throat in an effort to play to their base. It's a stupid *ucking plan, but that's how the GOP works.

That's a good case against affirmative action not a good case against Republican criticisms of Sotomayor.

The_Doctor10
05-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Two unpopular wars, by the way.

Meh, to be fair, nobody really seemed to object to kicking the shit out of Afghanistan.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Wait a minute.

I thought the Republicans lost because they have Frank Luntz wordsmithing (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5790363#post5790363) their language on the basis of focus groups.

Or because foreign courts don't cite (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5758606#post5758606) our Supreme Court as often lately as they used to.

Or because people sometimes give you shit (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5561466#post5561466) instead of explaining why you're wrong.

Is this really your final answer because my notepad is getting messy with all the corrections.

ROFL LMAO

mlyonsd
05-30-2009, 12:25 PM
She's going to be confirmed and she's going to get Republican votes, but your estimation of the impact of this confirmation tussle on the electorate is dramatically exaggerated.

All of a sudden elections have consequences and vetting a candidate that will get a lifetime position on the highest court in the land is now just being petty.

patteeu
05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
All of a sudden elections have consequences and vetting a candidate that will get a lifetime position on the highest court in the land is now just being petty.

Indeed.

HonestChieffan
05-30-2009, 01:14 PM
You can't call anyone a racist unless they are white?

googlegoogle
05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Funny how Latins are threatening Republicans.

How far can Latin blackmail go?