PDA

View Full Version : Computers Google Wave will revolutionize online collaboration

Ari Chi3fs
05-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Holy shit.

The tech nerds around here will find this interesting.

The video is a little over an hour... and wow, it is amazing.

http://wave.google.com/

What is a wave?

A wave is equal parts conversation and document. People can communicate and work together with richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more.

A wave is shared. Any participant can reply anywhere in the message, edit the content and add participants at any point in the process. Then playback lets anyone rewind the wave to see who said what and when.

A wave is live. With live transmission as you type, participants on a wave can have faster conversations, see edits and interact with extensions in real-time.

irishjayhawk
05-30-2009, 09:32 PM
REEE TO THE POSTTT

But then again, at least you and I share the opinion that it'll revolutionize things.

the Talking Can
05-30-2009, 09:32 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=20830c3

no one cares

;)

Lzen
05-30-2009, 11:40 PM
pretty cool

Thig Lyfe
05-31-2009, 03:43 AM
Bullshit.

BigRedChief
05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Cloud computing is nothing new.

I do see in the near future no installed apps on a personal pc.

Microsoft is trying to get Sharepoint to be the framework to do this on the enterprise. All your documents, email, apps and share drives all in one place being indexed for searching. I'm implementing a baby step version of it that has 480,000 user profiles.

irishjayhawk
05-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Microsoft is trying to get Sharepoint to be the framework to do this on the enterprise. All your documents, email, apps and share drives all in one place being indexed for searching. I'm implementing a baby step version of it that has 480,000 user profiles.

I don't really see it as cloud computing. I see it as an entirely new way to collaborate and communicate.

|Zach|
05-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Eh, did you read about Google Wave?

BigRedChief
06-01-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't really see it as cloud computing. I see it as an entirely new way to collaborate and communicate.
I was generalizing....jeeezzzz

Every couple of years there is this new "thing" thats going to change everything. But, it never happens. Just more incremental change happens, no revolution.

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 08:37 AM

Every couple of years there is this new "thing" thats going to change everything. But, it never happens. Just more incremental change happens, no revolution.

Twitter.

Skype.

NewChief
06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
So stoked on this. I hope it is released before August, so I can play around with it a little bit prior to school. Google continues to blow me away.

irishjayhawk
06-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

NewChief
06-01-2009, 09:45 AM

I think the problem is that people have different ideas about what constitutes a "revolution." In my opinion, Web 2.0 was a definite revolution and the ensuing development of platforms and apps has allowed a more seamless integration of a person's online presence with their lives. The two have meshed to the point, now, that it feels sort of strange to talk about the two (virtual vs. real) as separate existences.

Wave seems like a natural, but brilliant, extension of Web 2.0, allowing integration of many of the best features into one platform.

irishjayhawk
06-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I think the problem is that people have different ideas about what constitutes a "revolution." In my opinion, Web 2.0 was a definite revolution and the ensuing development of platforms and apps has allowed a more seamless integration of a person's online presence with their lives. The two have meshed to the point, now, that it feels sort of strange to talk about the two (virtual vs. real) as separate existences.

Wave seems like a natural, but brilliant, extension of Web 2.0, allowing integration of many of the best features into one platform.

I can agree with that. That said, Web 2.0 is overused as a term. I no longer really know when we crossed over or when Web 3.0 would be considered.

HC_Chief
06-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Not Sharepoint. Azure. Software + services.

Molitoth
06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Twitter.

Skype.

lol @ Twitter.

Stupidest website ever.

NewChief
06-01-2009, 10:31 AM

We're supposedly going to Sharepoint in our school district for collaboration and such. There's no word on when this is going to happen, though, so I'm probably about to make my kids sign up for google accounts, create igoogle pages, google docs, google reader, etc.. District guys assure me that Sharepoint will do all of this more elegantly and better, but there's no word yet on when they're going to actually roll it out for us to use.

NewChief
06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
lol @ Twitter.

Stupidest website ever.

Assuming you're not being TiC, anyone who labels twitter a "website" isn't qualified to judge its merit.

BigRedChief
06-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm not going to get into my I.T. is bigger and larger than your I.T. discussion.

okay wise guy, tell me that latest "revolutionary" thing that happened that was adopted by the majority of business's or the end user?

Twitter? Give me a break.

Facebook/My space? Not revolutionary/game changer IMHO

NewChief
06-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not going to get into my I.T. is bigger and larger than your I.T. discussion.

okay wise guy, tell me that latest "revolutionary" thing that happened that was adopted by the majority of business's or the end user?

Once again: when you're talking about societal and daily use of computers, then these things -are- revolutionary. No, they're not synapse computing or virtual reality or something crazy from an IT/hardware/software perspective, but they're revolutionary in changing the way our society uses technology.

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Facebook and Twitter are changing the ways companies do business. Straight up.

Mr. Krab
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM

The less Microsoft controls the better.

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 11:43 AM
lol @ Twitter.

Stupidest website ever.

Website?

Deberg_1990
06-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Website?

www.twitter.com

Looks like a website to me. :)

Molitoth
06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Pages on the internet are called __________ ?

I thought they were called websites/webpage, but apparently I'm wrong.

Twitter falls under what category?

And don't anyone here sit here and defend facebook/twitter UPDATES. They are sooooo stupid.

"Breast feeding my kid"
"Taking a shit"

WHO THE F*CK CARES, go get a life.

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
www.twitter.com

Looks like a website to me. :)

It is a website as much as my Sprint service is a website.

www.sprint.com

Of course thats not how it is primarily used. It is used as a communication method. Just like Twitter.

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
"Breast feeding my kid"
"Taking a shit"

WHO THE F*CK CARES, go get a life.

You using examples of what you see as the lowest common denominator in Facebook updates and Twitter updates does not mean that is how everyone or even most people use Twitter.

It is like talking about how terrible message boards are based on posts from Raised on Riots. If these tools are not your thing that is understandable. But if you are going to criticize at least try to not be so disingeniousness.

Sully
06-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Can someone tell me a little more about Twitter?
Apparently i don't understand it (seriously).

I signed up for it. I go to the website. People I follow have updates, I can post updates.
Is it any different from the "Eric is_____" on Facebook? Is it something I'm supposed to use more on my phone and IPod?
Tell me what I'm not getting, here.

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Can someone tell me a little more about Twitter?
Apparently i don't understand it (seriously).

I signed up for it. I go to the website. People I follow have updates, I can post updates.
Is it any different from the "Eric is_____" on Facebook? Is it something I'm supposed to use more on my phone and IPod?
Tell me what I'm not getting, here.

First of all one of the big things that separates it from Facebook status updates is its ability to be searched and archived. You can also talk to people by using the @ symbol and using their username or direct message people. You can use it on your phone, many people do...you can use it on the computer. They made it very simple.

At its core it is community building. It ties together people with similar interests, professions, and passions. It is the new Chamber of Commerce. Or for some people cocktail party.

News is broken on Twitter faster than any other place time and time again.

BigRedChief
06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
The less Microsoft controls the better.
I'm with you on that opinion.

BigRedChief
06-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Facebook and Twitter are changing the ways companies do business. Straight up.
I think IM changed the way business's operate than did facebook.

But again I have a different opinion of what "revolution" is in I.T. and its a pet peeve of mine that we don't explore the possibilites. We just let the market dictate the path, which is not neccesarily a bad thing.

Fish
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM
First of all one of the big things that separates it from Facebook status updates is its ability to be searched and archived. You can also talk to people by using the @ symbol and using their username or direct message people. You can use it on your phone, many people do...you can use it on the computer. They made it very simple.

At its core it is community building. It ties together people with similar interests, professions, and passions. It is the new Chamber of Commerce. Or for some people cocktail party.

News is broken on Twitter faster than any other place time and time again.

So twitter is an old idea made to work with current technology?

Not exactly revolutionary......

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
So twitter is an old idea made to work with current technology?

Not exactly revolutionary......

So you just bold a small portion where I try to use a reference point for people want to understand it and then cast everything off from that?

It is communication with the ability to be distributed, searched, consumed, and filtered like never before.

The first shots of the heroic plane landing recently was on Twitter. I can get a beat on what is happening in news and sports almost anything faster than google search.

It is also about community building...conversations can be given organization and context through hash tags.

A business owner can instantly track any conversations having to do with his industry or specific product and creation customer service situations which have added value because they are visible to all in social media.

Fish
06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
So you just bold a small portion where I try to use a reference point for people want to understand it and then cast everything off from that?

It is communication with the ability to be distributed, searched, consumed, and filtered like never before.

The first shots of the heroic plane landing recently was on Twitter. I can get a beat on what is happening in news and sports almost anything faster than google search.

It is also about community building...conversations can be given organization and context through hash tags.

A business owner can instantly track any conversations having to do with his industry or specific product and creation customer service situations which have added value because they are visible to all in social media.

I didn't cast everything else off. I included your entire post. But the point remains. Twitter isn't doing anything new. It's simply making existing communication easier with the use of technology. It's not exactly radically new or innovative. It's just a communication tool.

BigRedChief
06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I didn't cast everything else off. I included your entire post. But the point remains. Twitter isn't doing anything new. It's simply making existing communication easier with the use of technology. It's not exactly radically new or innovative. It's just a communication tool.
And ever since there has been an internet there has been groups and forums to share "stuff" between its members. Facebook and my space just make it easier to do.