PDA

View Full Version : Elections What is the abortion law in this country?

Direckshun
06-01-2009, 10:35 AM
As far as I understand it, the Supreme Court decreed that abortion is a part of the right to privacy and thus is constitutionally protected.

And didn't Bush sign a law during his administration outlawing third-trimester abortions?

So my understanding is that abortion is legal for about two trimesters, then becomes illegal in the third.

Would that be correct? Thanks in advance.

BigRedChief
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
:popcorn:

King_Chief_Fan
06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
As far as I understand it, the Supreme Court decreed that abortion is a part of the right to privacy and thus is constitutionally protected.

And didn't Bush sign a law during his administration outlawing third-trimester abortions?

So my understanding is that abortion is legal for about two trimesters, then becomes illegal in the third.

It is confusing, but it doesn't really matter. It is murder no matter how you look at it.

Reaper16
06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
That didn't take long.

Radar Chief
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
If it helps any thatís pretty much my understanding.
Though, isnít it still a state by state thing?

Direckshun
06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
If it helps any that’s pretty much my understanding.
Though, isn’t it still a state by state thing?

To what extent?

Katipan
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM

The partial birth abortion act still allowed a late term abortion if the woman's life in threatened.

Supreme Court made it legal across the board. The states still think they get to decide how legal.

Direckshun
06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
The partial birth abortion act still allowed a late term abortion if the woman's life in threatened.

Supreme Court made it legal across the board. The states still think they get to decide how legal.

Explain that, please.

Katipan
06-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Explain that, please.

Some states require kids to notify their parents. Some states don't allow any 3rd trimester abortions regardless of reason.

Mojo Jojo
06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
No one knows for sure. Roe v. Wade in simple terms says an abortion is the "mother's" choice as long as the procedure will not jeopardize her life, and at the same time ruled that if if fetus could survive outside the womb than it would be illegal. It was a self defeating decision. As medical tech has grown these two points have past each other. For the most part courts have only ruled on the first part of the decision...the mother and her life. States do have the right to pass their own laws, but many have been challenged and overturned on the equal protection clause.

banyon
06-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Roe drew the line at viability of a fetus. Casey lowered the standard on state regs of abortion to allowing them unless they place an "unreasonable burden" on the right to privacy and choice. The partial birth abortion ban was upheld by the court and doesn't have any impact on the timing, but outlaws a specific type of procedure called intact dilation and extraction.