PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Aliens Prequel:Tony Scott Confirms Carl Rinsch is Directing New ALIEN Movie

Tribal Warfare
06-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Exclusive: Tony Scott Confirms Carl Rinsch is Directing New ALIEN Movie. And it’s a PREQUEL! (http://www.collider.com/2009/05/29/exclusive-tony-scott-confirms-carl-rinsch-is-directing-alien-and-its-a-prequel/)
by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub Posted:May 29th, 2009 at 3:37 pm

A few days ago, Bloody-Disgusting reported that 20th century Fox was going to remake “Alien” and director Carl Rinsch would be helming the movie. Immediately fandom exploded with venom. I think one of the main reasons is that the original is a classic, and 20th Century Fox hasn’t been making films of that caliber recently.

So at today’s junket for Tony Scott’s new film “The Taking of Pelham 123″, I went up Tony after the press conference ended to ask him what was up with the remake.

The big news is he confirmed Carl Rinsch would be directing it and that it’s a prequel to his brother Ridley’s classic!

What Tony told me is after the jump:

Collider: 20th Century Fox is talking about remaking or redoing the original Alien. What’s going on with that?

Tony Scott: Yes, Carl Rinsch is going to do the prequel to Alien. He’s one of our directors at our company.

Collider: I’m going to be blunt about this. Fox has not been doing a great job recently with their movies. They haven’t been an artist friendly studio. Are you guys going to have some creative control and make this a kick-ass film?

Tony: Yes! But Fox is our home. They finace our production company.

Collider: And I’m very happy that you guys have the financing. But a lot of the films they’ve been doing at the studio level, they’ve been nickel and diming and not giving fandom what they want. So I guess my question for you is…are you a little nervous about reengaging the franchise or are you excited.

Tony: I’m excited cause Ridley created the original and Carl Rinsch is one of the family.

Collider: When do you envision this film getting in front of cameras?

Tony: Hopefully the end of the year.

Collider: Will it be a summer of 2011 movie?

Tony: Honestly, I don’t know.

While I wish I could give you more info, I only had moments to talk with him. Look for more “Alien” info as I get it.

Deberg_1990
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Hooray!

This should go over about as well as T4.

HC_Chief
06-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Uhhh, a <i>prequel</i>? :spock:

Reaper16
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
"Bloody disgusting" is exactly right. :shake:

Halfcan
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
how about thinking up somethine NEW-instead of X part 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ,.......

It gets old.

Valiant
06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Bahh... I just want another alien movie on par with alien(s) with them vs. space marines..

Ebolapox
06-01-2009, 06:36 PM
see, this is where I have an issue... since when does somebody being 'in the family' make one goddamned bit of difference? if you're good, I could give a fuck whether your last name is jones or shyamalan. I don't care if you're my own damned mother, if you can't direct, you ain't getting the film.

Count Zarth
06-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Awesome.

There has never been a bad movie with xenomorphs.

Never.

And there never will be. They would have to make them pink or something.

It's too bad they can't do more stuff with Colonial Marines. What we really need is more Marines going apeshit on bugs. Like a whole fucking planet of bugs.

Anyway I hope the prequel is all about the colonists on LV-426 and how they got fucked up.

HC_Chief
06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Awesome.

There has never been a bad movie with xenomorphs.

Never.

And there never will be. They would have to make them pink or something.

It's too bad they can't do more stuff with Colonial Marines. What we really need is more Marines going apeshit on bugs. Like a whole ****ing planet of bugs.

Anyway I hope the prequel is all about the colonists on LV-426 and how they got ****ed up.

That would be a neat trick, considering this is to be a prequel of ALIEN... which took place 50+years before ALIENS.

Count Zarth
06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
That would be a neat trick, considering this is to be a prequel of ALIEN... which took place 50+years before ALIENS.

Oh...shit.

Well...they can fudge it. :D

HC_Chief
06-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh...shit.

Well...they can fudge it. :D

Yeah, there will be much fudge of the ass genus involved...

Tribal Warfare
10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Alien Prequel spoiler details below

Spoiler-Filled Details Emerge About the Plot and Characters of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ Prequel (http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/20/spoilerfilled-details-emerge-plot-characters-ridley-scotts-alien-prequel/#more-91054)

Consider yourself warned. An Australian outlet evidently got a copy of the latest script for the Alien prequel due to be directed by Ridley Scott, and subsequently put together quite the rundown of what goes on after the title page. We’ve got quite a few of the details to relay to you, but it’s all spoilerish as hell, so if you don’t want to know too much, this is your cue to stop reading.

Let’s disregard the source’s supposition that the film may be an Oscar contender (uh, WAY too early to call that) and focus instead on the details provided by What’sPlaying.au.

We’re also proceeding for now with the attitude that this is legit info, but feel free to remain skeptical if you’d like.

The site says the draft that Damon Lindelof revised from earlier work by Jon Spaihts “bares little to no similarity to the previous [Alien] chapters.” What does that mean? Through some of the following details you might get an idea.

The story follows a group of terraforming aliens the script calls ‘Growers’ — these are seemingly of the race from which comes the original film’s ‘space jockey.’ There’s a strange sequence in which the Growers use a bit of mind control to instigate a homosexual encounter between Fin and Karik, two male human slave farmers. The aliens, you see, are a single-sex species and don’t understand the male-female breeding requirements of humans.

The title alien — the xenomorph — is a creature used by Growers as part of the terraforming process, and at a point in the script it develops into the creature we know and love. So we won’t see it in the form we know right off; this will be a payoff later in the script.

Into the group of Growers and human slaves comes a ship crewed by “the usual Alien misfits” complete with a female character that sounds like Vasquez from Aliens, and another woman named Truks that is reportedly the role for which Gemma Arterton was considered. Ridley Scott has also reportedly met with Lance Henricksen, though how the guy who fit into the established Alien storyline might work in this film, I can only conjecture. (I’d guess he’d appear only towards the end, as the xenomorphs are out of control, in a story thread that would point right towards the original Alien.)

The summation is that this script is “a deep movie — part science-fiction, part psychological drama, part, dare I say, romance.”

HC_Chief
10-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Kewl. This could be really, REALLY good, or a horrific disappointment; no in-between.

In my reality, there are currently only 2 ALIEN movies. I will gladly accept a third on the condition that it lives up to ALIEN, and Aliens.

mcan
10-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Kewl. This could be really, REALLY good, or a horrific disappointment; no in-between.

In my reality, there are currently only 2 ALIEN movies. I will gladly accept a third on the condition that it lives up to ALIEN, and Aliens.

I just went back and watched the first 3 movies a few weeks ago and quite frankly, I think the first is a really cool horror/sci-fi movie and the second is a kinda fun action/adventure movie. The third is MUCH better than the second, even though the script isn't as memorable. It's executed better and has a similar feel as the first. Some of the CGI is kinda bad, but overall I really like the 3rd alien movie.

If it's true that this prequel is going to be directed by Ridley Scott, then I'm really stoked for it. I'm also very curious as to the origins of the fossilized alien craft we found them in in the original movie. Hope they do a good job though. I don't think I can handle another "Hannibal Rising."

Valiant
10-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I just went back and watched the first 3 movies a few weeks ago and quite frankly, I think the first is a really cool horror/sci-fi movie and the second is a kinda fun action/adventure movie. The third is MUCH better than the second, even though the script isn't as memorable. It's executed better and has a similar feel as the first. Some of the CGI is kinda bad, but overall I really like the 3rd alien movie.

If it's true that this prequel is going to be directed by Ridley Scott, then I'm really stoked for it. I'm also very curious as to the origins of the fossilized alien craft we found them in in the original movie. Hope they do a good job though. I don't think I can handle another "Hannibal Rising."

I don't think they used CGI in the 3rd one??

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm so, SO happy to see you finally come around on this. I've held that opinion since I first saw the original trilogy ten years ago. Proud of you, mcan.

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't think they used CGI in the 3rd one??
Oh yes. Fincher was against it, he wanted to do it w/o CGI. The studio made the call and there wasn't much he could do - he wasn't "David Fincher" yet, if ya know what I mean. He still seems to harbor ill feelings about the whole experience.

keg in kc
10-23-2010, 03:47 PM
The problem I have with the 3rd is that it wipes out everything that happened at the end of the 2nd at the very start of the movie, by killing everybody but Ripley. I just can't get past that.

As far as differences in the films goes, the 1st is one of the best horror films ever made and the second is one of the best action movies ever made. And I have no problem with that.

The real dropped ball was the 4th. That could have been so good.

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 03:51 PM
The problem I have with the 3rd is that it wipes out everything that happened at the end of the 2nd at the very start of the movie, by killing everybody but Ripley. I just can't get past that.

As far as differences in the films goes, the 1st is one of the best horror films ever made and the second is one of the best action movies ever made. And I have no problem with that.

The real dropped ball was the 4th. That could have been so good.
I'm not sure I follow. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and even longer since I've seen Aliens. What gets wiped out?

keg in kc
10-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure I follow. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and even longer since I've seen Aliens.If I remember correctly, Aliens ends with Ripley saving Newt and then escaping LV-426 with Hicks and Bishop (there's also the iconic cargo-loader fight scene at the end).

Alien 3 starts by crashing the dropship (rather an escape pod from it) and killing everybody but Ripley.

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 04:01 PM
If I remember correctly, Aliens ends with Ripley saving Newt and then escaping LV-426 with Hicks and Bishop (there's also the iconic cargo-loader fight scene at the end).

Alien 3 starts by crashing the dropship (rather an escape pod from it) and killing everybody but Ripley.
Sounds about right, as far as I can remember. So you don't like the fact that everyone dies because of what they went through to survive the end of Aliens? Is that it? Is that because it feels cheap and/or anticlimactic to you?

keg in kc
10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Sounds about right, as far as I can remember. So you don't like the fact that everyone dies because of what they went through to survive the end of Aliens? Is that it? Is that because it feels cheap and/or anticlimactic to you?Basically. It makes the events of the second movie pointless. I thought/think it's stupid writing.

chasedude
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM
I missed this thread the first time around and didn't know there was a prequel in the making.

it's a 50/50 chance of coming out good. Either it's kickass with good REAL action and special effects or it'll be all CGI'd out beyond belief making me wanna puke.

I've been a fan of the movie series and still remember watching the original when I was younger, I was scared shitless with nightmares. Maybe it's my loss of innocence cause I miss horror movies making me feel like that.

Sure-Oz
10-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Alien 3 sucked hard

keg in kc
10-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I missed this thread the first time around and didn't know there was a prequel in the making.

it's a 50/50 chance of coming out good. Either it's kickass with good REAL action and special effects or it'll be all CGI'd out beyond belief making me wanna puke.

I've been a fan of the movie series and still remember watching the original when I was younger, I was scared shitless with nightmares. Maybe it's my loss of innocence cause I miss horror movies making me feel like that.Too much of the psychological side of horror has been lost in favor of gore-fests and cheap scares. I'm not sure The Exorcist still isn't the most frightening movie I've ever seen, and Alien isn't far behind. They don't make many like that anymore.

chasedude
10-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Too much of the psychological side of horror has been lost in favor of gore-fests and cheap scares. I'm not sure The Exorcist still isn't the most frightening movie I've ever seen, and Alien isn't far behind. They don't make many like that anymore.

Blair Witch didn't do too bad a job with the psych out. If it wasn't for the camera shakes and jerks making me sick I could've enjoyed it more.

What's your take on Paranormal Activity? I have not seen it and heard it was a decent psychological thriller.

You're right, they sure don't make them like they used too.

keg in kc
10-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I haven't seen paranormal activity yet. Found footage has never worked well for me, although I did enjoy Cloverfield (not enough big monster movies, either).

Count Zarth
10-23-2010, 05:08 PM
That sounds really awesome. Fresh and creepy.

chasedude
10-23-2010, 05:09 PM
I haven't seen paranormal activity yet. Found footage has never worked well for me, although I did enjoy Cloverfield (not enough big monster movies, either).

I havn't seen Cloverfield either fearing it would be like a Blair Witch dizzying experience with the same style of cinematography used.

as for big monster movies, I grew up on cheesy Godzilla flicks :D

keg in kc
10-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm really curious to see how the newly reimagined Godzilla is going to turn out.

chasedude
10-23-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm really curious to see how the newly reimagined Godzilla is going to turn out.

There's another one? I thought the Matt Broderick farce was enough to ruin any future resurrections.

keg in kc
10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Yup.Legendary Pictures to Have Godzilla to Fight Another Monster or Monsters in New Movie (http://www.collider.com/2010/09/21/godzilla-3d-reboot-legendary-pictures-fights-monsters/)

by Matt Goldberg
Posted:September 21st, 2010 at 9:35 am

Legendary Pictures is currently at work on bringing Godzilla back to the big screen and giving him the feature film he deserves after the 1998 flop. Bleeding Cool has some new details to report on the project, which is slated to hit theaters in 2012. The biggest cause for excitement is that, “There’s going to be another monster, or monsters, that Godzilla will fight. Not having this goes against the ’spirit of the character’.” If this is the case, then who should Godzilla square off against? Mothra? Megalon? Mechagodzilla?

Hit the jump for more details on how the new Godzilla is planning to stay true to the old Godzilla.

The new Godzilla is being compared to Batman Begins. I don’t know if this means a grittier Godzilla or if Godzilla will have a value he holds most dear and then completely betrays in the third act when he defeats the villain. Legendary is also planning to homage the traditional Godzilla character, which means a return to Godzilla’s more dinosaur like form as opposed to the giant iguana of the 1998 Roland Emmerich film. However, like Emmerich’s film, Godzilla will be a CG character in a live-action movie. Also, to the surprise of no one, the movie will be in 3D.

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Basically. It makes the events of the second movie pointless. I thought/think it's stupid writing.
That makes sense. Sorry, I was just trying to understand what you meant. And I think that's totally valid. Obviously, I didn't have the same problem, but I understand that criticism.

Totally agree about The Excorcist and Alien though. Two of the most unsettling and frightening movies I've ever seen. What I liked about Alien 3 is that it returns more to the psycological terror the first one had, and away from the more action-adventure feel of the second one.

chasedude
10-23-2010, 05:27 PM
The new Godzilla sounds promising :thumb:

I'm glad they're bringing back his original look, or at least close to it. The large iguana they used last time was a joke.

Thx for the info keg!

I just don't wanna wait until 2012 to see it.:mad:

HC_Chief
10-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Too much of the psychological side of horror has been lost in favor of gore-fests and cheap scares. I'm not sure The Exorcist still isn't the most frightening movie I've ever seen, and Alien isn't far behind. They don't make many like that anymore.

BINGO. Rep for speaking the truth(tm) :D

I think you would really like Paranormal Activity. I thought it was really smart and very well done.

mcan
10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks, RedBrooklyn

I saw ALIENS about a MILLION times as a kid, and it was one of my favorites. I still quote it all the time, as habit... well.. Mostly as habit... Mostly... :)

But going back and watching all three in a row (girl hadn't ever seen them) kinda made me realize how cheesy ALIENS is. That said, I still like it. Just thought the 3rd movie was FAR superior. And yeah, the girl (lets call her Robin) was REALLY upset they killed off Hicks and Newt. I mean, we just got done with the 2nd movie and popped in the DVD for 3 and she was looking at me with this look like a kid who just got her ice cream stolen.

I guess the only problem I have with it is the fact that it happens during a montage in the opening credits, which seems kinda... I don't know, 'disrespectful' to the characters, if that makes sense. Even so, Alien 3 is disturbing and suspenseful in the way that the first movie is, and in many ways, even more so. As a kid, I didn't quite get the themes of the film, since so much of it is about the crazy, fringe, religious fervor and underpinning of depravity inherent to the convicts. I just thought it was boring because there weren't guns and explosions.

Now, I've seen both of the Paranormal Activity films, and they're pretty much brilliant. The first is a fantastic story that is well acted and very well conceived. It's SCARY as hell, and for the most part, makes sense. It gives you just enough information to be a complete story, but not so much that it seems unrealistic. The 2nd is just as well acted and maybe conceived even better. I love the vehicle of the security cameras, which pretty much eliminates the cheesy and played out "put down the fu*kin camera" scenes that permeate the genre. Or worse the "why the hell is he bothering to film THIS?" aspect of mockumenteries, especially of the horror variety. While I do have a few problems with the 2nd, and wrinkle my nose a bit at some of the story aspects, most of that is just nitpicking. There is just no question in my mind that the two movies, as a series would and probably should be in many top 5 lists for horror movies. It's probably in mine.

1. The Shining
2. Poltergeist
3. The Exorcist
4. 28 Days Later
5. Paranormal Activity

Count Zarth
10-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Aliens is a thriller.

Once you know all the twists, it loses a lot of it's appeal and yes, becomes cheesy on repeat viewings. (LOOK INTO MY EYE)

It's still a fucking great film.

GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BITCH

God dammit, why don't they make movies like that anymore?

mcan
10-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Aliens is a thriller.

Once you know all the twists, it loses a lot of it's appeal and yes, becomes cheesy on repeat viewings. (LOOK INTO MY EYE)

It's still a fucking great film.

GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BITCH

God dammit, why don't they make movies like that anymore?

I would call it an action/adventure movie. Thrillers to me, are more like Silence of the Lambs and Se7en, or Panic Room. Darker movies where there are several suspenseful elements, but not necessarily an epic scope or quest involved. Aliens is huge in scope, and plays out like a video game. There aren't a lot of "twists" in the movie. Just the hero's journey being played out with a damsel in distress (Newt) and several gatekeeper (obstacles) on the way to the big showdown against the mother Alien and the hero (Ripley). It's a pretty timeless story template that Cameron uses loosely on most of his films (especially Avatar). But my problem with it is the wildly exaggerated ancillary characters that are basically just walking stereotypes and cheesy dialog.

Deberg_1990
10-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Alien 3 sucked hard

Its grown on me over the years. I think the reason it flopped at the time was everyone thought it was going to be like "Aliens" with the guns and fighting, etc...

No one wanted a downbeat Alien flick where all the heroes die.

Alien 4 tried to return to that somewhat, but ended up being pretty bad i thought..

DJ's left nut
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Basically. It makes the events of the second movie pointless. I thought/think it's stupid writing.

Yup, I had the same problem with Alien 3. It made Alien 2 a nullity right out of the chute. I never really gave it a chance from there; it just didn't happen.

If you've read the Hitchhikers Guide series, Mostly Harmless did the same thing for me. The ending to So Long... was perfect. Next thing you know, Adams has a bout with depression and writes a 300 page downer that ends in him literally killing everyone with one shot. The whole damn lot of them gets blinked out of existence and the previous 4 books mean nothing.

Adams realized how awful that was and said he wanted to write another book when he wasn't in such a dark place...then he died.

'Hitchikers' is only 4 books long to me. The 5th one, much like Alien 3, just didn't happen.

Red Brooklyn
10-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I would call it an action/adventure movie. Thrillers to me, are more like Silence of the Lambs and Se7en, or Panic Room. Darker movies where there are several suspenseful elements, but not necessarily an epic scope or quest involved. Aliens is huge in scope, and plays out like a video game. There aren't a lot of "twists" in the movie. Just the hero's journey being played out with a damsel in distress (Newt) and several gatekeeper (obstacles) on the way to the big showdown against the mother Alien and the hero (Ripley). It's a pretty timeless story template that Cameron uses loosely on most of his films (especially Avatar). But my problem with it is the wildly exaggerated ancillary characters that are basically just walking stereotypes and cheesy dialog.
Exactly.

Many here (there and everywhere) like Aliens a lot more than I do. I really didn't care for it. Other than some of the classic battles - the final one, especially. The movie really doesn't do a whole lot for me. That's part of the reason that I didn't care about the opening to Alien 3. I didn't mind (or honestly even remember, until this thread) seeing them go, because I wasn't invested in them to begin with.

Alien 3 just really hits the mark for me. To me it's the only worthy follow-up to the original. Alien 3 delivers on the promise of Alien. Aliens is the video game you play, to curb your appetite while you're waiting for the next movie to come out.

Detoxing
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I havn't seen Cloverfield either fearing it would be like a Blair Witch dizzying experience with the same style of cinematography used.

as for big monster movies, I grew up on cheesy Godzilla flicks :D

Cloverfield is the king of Dizzy. That movie starts you out nauseous and never lets up.

However, if you can bare through it it's worth it IMO. I thought it was a cool movie. Would've been better if it had less camera shake though. they went overboard with that shit.

Detoxing
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
The Host and The Mist were also some cool monster movies IMO

ReynardMuldrake
10-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I just recently realized that Joss Whedon wrote the fourth Alien movie. I know there was a reason I liked that movie.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Exactly.

Many here (there and everywhere) like Aliens a lot more than I do. I really didn't care for it. Other than some of the classic battles - the final one, especially. The movie really doesn't do a whole lot for me. That's part of the reason that I didn't care about the opening to Alien 3. I didn't mind (or honestly even remember, until this thread) seeing them go, because I wasn't invested in them to begin with.

Alien 3 just really hits the mark for me. To me it's the only worthy follow-up to the original. Alien 3 delivers on the promise of Alien. Aliens is the video game you play, to curb your appetite while you're waiting for the next movie to come out.

Aliens will probably always be my favorite.

That might have been the most fun time i ever remember having in a movie theater. This movie was HUGE that summer. Great "audience participation" flick. IM not sure i have ever heard an audience react to a movie with cheers, boos and oh sh*t's quite like that ever again...

Red Brooklyn
10-26-2010, 07:32 PM

That might have been the most fun time i ever remember having in a movie theater. This movie was HUGE that summer. Great "audience participation" flick. IM not sure i have ever heard an audience react to a movie with cheers, boos and oh sh*t's quite like that ever again...
That sounds awesome. I wish I'd had that kind of experience with the movie. I watched it for the first time at home of VHS. :)

Your story is much, MUCH better.

Valiant
10-26-2010, 07:42 PM

Yeah Aliens was amazing..

Alien: scary unknown monster preying on helpless people in space.. horror/thriller

Aliens: Space Marines + stupid bitch, battling it out against an unending horde of aliens.. You got to see some great visuals and great fight sequences.. That and the characters were memorable.. I equate it to the first Predator movie..

The rest of the Aliens movies were garbage imo.. Just did not have it factor.. Alien 3 like others said was ruined by the intro.. Do not kill them off before the damn title sequence.. I get it, they wanted to get back to the original movies feel, tight space, no real weapons to defend yourself.. The tunnel sequences were great though.. Just did not have the same feel of the first, but that could be from already knowing about Aliens and what they are capable of..

The thing that ruined the rest of them was the main character.. Fuck her.. Get another title character for the series..

Then the AvPs.. First one garbage, not rated R.. Same basic main character..
Second one was much better, rated R, tons of violence, needed more action though.. I liked how they had different versions of the xenomorph(sp?)