PDA

View Full Version : Obama White House Won't Disclose Cost of Obama's Date

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 11:21 AM
So much for transparency and belt-tightening.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98I2HP03&show_article=1&catnum=3
WASHINGTON (AP) - White House spokesman Robert Gibbs is declining to say what it cost for President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, to eat dinner and take in a play in New York over the weekend.

Asked if he would outline the costs, Gibbs said Monday the Obamas would have preferred using a commercial airline shuttle to New York and back but the Secret Service would not allow such unprotected travel.

The president has been criticized for the trip to New York in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression and with thousands of auto workers facing unemployment as General Motors prepared to file for bankruptcy and Chrysler was about to emerge from court-guided restructuring.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

SBK
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
If you are the CEO of a private company you can't be using private jets, or going off to Vegas etc.

If you're the President you can spend over $250,000 tax payer dollars for a date with your wife.

wild1
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
LMAO, they used an economical and environmentally friendly Gulfstream V

Since his photo-op over New York cost $250,000... I'm just gonna guess that they spent at least that much or more on this trip.

What was that he was harping about, regarding business executives and their private jets?

LMAO LMAO

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 11:32 AM
If you are the CEO of a private company you can't be using private jets...

The funniest part about that is that Obama is the CEO of a company (America) that is way further in the red than the car companies.

wild1
06-02-2009, 11:40 AM
The funniest part about that is that Obama is the CEO of a company (America) that is way further in the red than the car companies.

Good point. :clap:

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Bush was on vacation for 60% of his Presidency. I wonder how much those vacations costed?

Amnorix
06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to understand why the President should be barred from doing anything remotely social or fun while in office unless it's held in the WH.

The poor bastard (whoever is in office) has about the toughest job in the world. And his salary sure isn't sufficient to make up for the joys of the office.

And I'd say this if it was a Republican too. Little crap like this never matters to me.

Stinger
06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm trying to understand why the President should be barred from doing anything remotely social or fun while in office unless it's held in the WH.

The poor bastard (whoever is in office) has about the toughest job in the world. And his salary sure isn't sufficient to make up for the joys of the office.

And I'd say this if it was a Republican too. Little crap like this never matters to me.

I agree too a point but this has more of a "Do as I say not as I do" type of behavior. To lambaste a group of people and do the exact same thing is hypocritical no??

petegz28
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Bush was on vacation for 60% of his Presidency. I wonder how much those vacations costed?

60%???

STFU

petegz28
06-02-2009, 11:46 AM

Ask the people on your side of the isle who cried about Bush exercising too much.

Calcountry
The funniest part about that is that Obama is the CEO of a company (America) that is way further in the red than the car companies.This, and he lectures them on how they need to be lean and mean.

wild1
Yesterday:

Obama also addressed workers at [General Motors] plants and dealerships who will lose their jobs as part of the restructuring, warning that “more jobs would be lost," and adding they were “making a sacrifice for the next generation.”

It’s “a sacrifice you may not have chose to make, but a sacrifice you are nevertheless called to make so that your children and all of our children can grow up in an America that still makes things, that still builds cars, that still strives for a better future,” he said.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Ask the people on your side of the isle who cried about Bush exercising too much.He took too many vacations at Crawford.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
60%???

STFU

I believe it is close.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree too a point but this has more of a "Do as I say not as I do" type of behavior. To lambaste a group of people and do the exact same thing is hypocritical no??

IMHO not really because as stated above he wanted to take a commercial flight but the Secret Service wouldn't let him which is understandable.

So basically because he has to be protected to extreme levels that he has to sit at the WH for 4 years?

Calcountry
Bush was on vacation for 60% of his Presidency. I wonder how much those vacations costed?Crawford Texas? I dunno, I wll check Expedia.

I might be able to get a package deal.

BigChiefFan
Yes, it sucks, but what world have you been living in? This is nothing new. I suppose you prefer our Presidents dress in rags and walk to work? Jesus, I really despise all the partisanship. If we don't start thinking about our commonalities and continue to focus on our differences, we're destined to fail. Now is the time to find common ground and work to improve the system before it's too late, but the partisnship is by design, to keep you from seeing the big picture-that our rights are being taken by both parties, but yes, let's focus on this trivial shit.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
IMHO not really because as stated above he wanted to take a commercial flight but the Secret Service wouldn't let him which is understandable.

So basically because he has to be protected to extreme levels that he has to sit at the WH for 4 years?Are you saying he didn't want the job?

Just wtf exactly did he expect? Me time? WTF, you're in the bubble, get over it.

HonestChieffan
06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
seems he could get a lot cuter date for a quarter mil

blaise
06-02-2009, 11:52 AM

I don't see the relevance.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Are you saying he didn't want the job?

Just wtf exactly did he expect? Me time? WTF, you're in the bubble, get over it.

I would be the exact same way probably worse. There is no way I would want to sit at home for 4 years except to go on official business. Plus it makes even more hard since they have kids and anyone that has kids knows what I mean.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I guess it was closer to 40%.

http://killfile.newsvine.com/_news/2009/01/18/2327714-asleep-the-the-wheel-george-w-bush-spent-more-than-a-third-of-his-two-terms-on-vacation

petegz28
06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
It wouldn't be as bad if Obama spent more time at the WH than away from it.

Amnorix
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

I'm missing it. Who was lambasted by whom, and for what?

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

So basically because he has to be protected to extreme levels that he has to sit at the WH for 4 years?

Yes, because having a date in DC is impossible.

Amnorix
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM

I don't know that time spent in Crawford is automatically "vacation" time. The Prez gets to take his office and work with him...

blaise
06-02-2009, 11:57 AM

So he needs to fly to New York for a date? Do you not see any hypocrisy in him making examples of Wall Street excess and then flying to NYC on a date?

God knows there's no good restaurants in DC he could have gone to.

I'm sure Claire McCaskill will be along shortly to call him an idiot.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't know that time spent in Crawford is automatically "vacation" time. The Prez gets to take his office and work with him...

It's costs the tax payers money. He should have stayed in Washington evidently according to the right wingers. Or what's good for Bush isn't good for Obama I suppose.

wild1
I would be the exact same way probably worse. There is no way I would want to sit at home for 4 years except to go on official business. Plus it makes even more hard since they have kids and anyone that has kids knows what I mean.

Nobody says they can't go to a retreat or on vacation. We're not talking about travel between your home and Washington. They took a freaking Gulfstream out to dinner.

And then, he went to the podium on Monday and told hundreds of thousands of GM workers who are losing their jobs, home, life savings, financial security - to suck it up, because they're required to sacrifice for our financial future.

It's an appalling display of arrogance and extravagance, and spitting in the face of people who loyally voted for you and who now are going to be eating at Aldi, not sucking down lobster tails and Dom with you and your wife.

Simplex3

He lives in DC. New York is not in DC. What is he saying about DC? That you can't have any fun there? You have to leave?

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
He should have stayed in Washington evidently according to the right wingers.

Yes. That's where his job was.

Amnorix
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Nobody says they can't go to a retreat or on vacation. We're not talking about travel between your home and Washington. They took a freaking Gulfstream out to dinner.

And then, he went to the podium on Monday and told hundreds of thousands of GM workers who are losing their jobs, home, life savings, financial security - to suck it up, because they're required to sacrifice for our financial future.

It's an appalling display of arrogance and extravagance, and spitting in the face of people who loyally voted for you and who now are going to be eating at Aldi, not sucking down lobster tails and Dom with you and your wife.

Next time we'll tell the f**king President to eat at McDonalds. Will that make you feel better?

The whole thing is silly.

Amnorix
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Was George W's in Texas?

HonestChieffan
06-02-2009, 12:01 PM

Clinton had dates in Washington. Didnt that schmuck lawyer from new york go to DC for dates?

MIAdragon
06-02-2009, 12:01 PM

I always take my wife to NY on a private jet for our data nights, dont you?

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Next time we'll tell the f**king President to eat at McDonalds. Will that make you feel better?

I'd agree if he hadn't spent his whole campaign telling us how transparent his administration was going to be. There is no reason other than political backlash to keep those costs under wraps. He did the crime and doesn't want to suffer the time.

blaise

DC only has McDonalds.

wild1

Not a single restaurant in Washington DC, I guess?

They had no choice but to go to New York City on a plane that costs about $30,000 an hour to operate? Not to mention what their security detail costs to transport and operate?

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Was George W's in Texas?

No, and that's why I said he should have been where his job was.

bkkcoh

an now controls parts of 2 of the big 3, he should ask the CEO to step down

Mr. Flopnuts
Yes, it sucks, but what world have you been living in? This is nothing new. I suppose you prefer our Presidents dress in rags and walk to work? Jesus, I really despise all the partisanship. If we don't start thinking about our commonalities and continue to focus on our differences, we're destined to fail. Now is the time to find common ground and work to improve the system before it's too late, but the partisnship is by design, to keep you from seeing the big picture-that our rights are being taken by both parties, but yes, let's focus on this trivial shit.

But where was that talk during W's presidency? /RWNJ

We're falling apart financially, but we're such short sighted animals that the only solution we can find is finger pointing and shit talking. Ain't America great?

MIAdragon
Ford's theater does suck.

KC Dan
I have NO issues with BO heading out with the family for vacations on AF1. None whatsoever. But, this wasn't a vacation, it was a one-night DATE. I don't remember Bushie heading to Crawford for a one-night date but maybe he did.

I just wonder how many of us or how many americans for that matter that jet off to NYC for a one night date with the spouse? Seems kinda ridiculous to me but whatever...It's only our money and we obviously don't care how its thrown away......

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:04 PM
If it's no big deal why wouldn't they just say how much it cost? I mean, if there's nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about why not say?

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 12:04 PM
They had no choice but to go to New York City on a plane that costs about $30,000 an hour to operate? Not to mention what their security detail costs to transport and operate?

I'm assuming that Gulf Stream is all electric, or at least a hybrid, right?

bkkcoh
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd agree if he hadn't spent his whole campaign telling us how transparent his administration was going to be. There is no reason other than political backlash to keep those costs under wraps. He did the crime and doesn't want to suffer the time.

I thought he had several stump speeches in which he was asking for the people of the US to stop being so extravagant in these type of economic times. Actions like this was what got us in the situation we are in now, over indulgence.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 12:07 PM

Bush you mean?

***SPRAYER
06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought he had several stump speeches in which he was asking for the people of the US to stop being so extravagant in these type of economic times. Actions like this was what got us in the situation we are in now, over indulgence.

Yeah I remember him saying stuff like that, too. Apparantly all the moonbats who voted for him don't.

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I like how the defense of this is, "Well Bush went on vacations too!"

wild1
06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm assuming that Gulf Stream is all electric, or at least a hybrid, right?

From what I can find, at its cruising altitude of ~40,000 feet, and doing Mach .8, our Dear Leader in his Gulfstream V would have been getting about 1 nautical mile per gallon of jet fuel.

HonestChieffan
06-02-2009, 12:11 PM
They told the CEOs not to fly on Corp jets. But in Government Motors, the Ober-president can use AF One to get dinner.

I gotta consider this some more.

And another thing...he could have given the old lady a couple hundred and sent her to NY and stayed home and watch wahtever he wanted on TV.

HonestChieffan
06-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Ford's theater does suck.

They had some killer acts there in the past.

HonestChieffan
06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
From what I can find, at its cruising altitude of ~40,000 feet, and doing Mach .8, our Dear Leader in his Gulfstream V would have been getting about 1 nautical mile per gallon of jet fuel.

what he was getting had nothing to do with fuel.

alanm
06-02-2009, 12:14 PM
seems he could get a lot cuter date for a quarter milHefner could of flown in some cuties on his own plane for less than half that.

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Bush you mean?

Correct.

Sully
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I like how the defense of this is, "Well Bush went on vacations too!"

It's not a defense.
It's never a defense.
It's always simply a pointing out of the selective outrage.

HonestChieffan
06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
It's not a defense.
It's never a defense.

We are Chiefs fans. Lets not talk about defense.

PS you land a good teaching job?

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes, it sucks, but what world have you been living in? This is nothing new. I suppose you prefer our Presidents dress in rags and walk to work? Jesus, I really despise all the partisanship. If we don't start thinking about our commonalities and continue to focus on our differences, we're destined to fail. Now is the time to find common ground and work to improve the system before it's too late, but the partisnship is by design, to keep you from seeing the big picture-that our rights are being taken by both parties, but yes, let's focus on this trivial shit.After 8 years of unmerciful, bitching, now you want to join hands and sing coom by yah? What goes around comes around.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Ron Paul wouldn't have done it until the budget was cut...and not even then.
Our dear leaders ( plural not just Obamas) think they're Mr. and Mrs. Antoinette.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah I remember him saying stuff like that, too. Apparantly all the moonbats who voted for him don't.That's because they wish he would take them instead.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Clinton had dates in Washington. Didnt that schmuck lawyer from new york go to DC for dates?Clinton had dates in the oval office.

Sully
We are Chiefs fans. Lets not talk about defense.

PS you land a good teaching job?

Thanks for asking.

No. I'm reduced to fall back jobs. Just no SS openings in the area. But at louis has tons... Go figure.

***SPRAYER
It's not a defense.
It's never a defense.

Silly, Bush wasn't the one telling CEO's they can't fly corporate Jets. That jackass you voted for and continue to toss his salad, did. Thanks for playing.

Deberg_1990

Although he might not always be at the white house, a POTUS never takes a vacation. Hes on-call for the American people 24/7 365.

CoMoChief
06-02-2009, 12:26 PM

"The Obama's would have preferred commercial airline shuttle."

YEAH.........right..................BULLSHIT!!!!!

ROFL Do these fucks really think we're all that retarded?

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 12:27 PM

They had a date night in DC already IIRC. Also one in Chicago.

***SPRAYER
06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
"The Obama's would have preferred commercial airline shuttle."

YEAH.........right..................BULLSHIT!!!!!

ROFL Do these ****s really think we're all that retarded?

Just the ones who voted for him and continue to toss his salad.

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
They had a date night in DC already IIRC. Also one in Chicago.

Well I guess he's exhausted those cities then. He'll need to go to San Fran next.

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
BUT DID YOU SEE HOW IN LOVE THEY ARE??? OMG! OMG! OMG! I can't wait for my People magazine!!!!!!
I hope he gets on Dancing With the Stars soon!

bkkcoh
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM

I think it is a big misnomer to think that a president of the US is ever really on vacation. I think anyone who truly thinks that is full of shit also.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't know that time spent in Crawford is automatically "vacation" time. The Prez gets to take his office and work with him...But if the media portrays it as his "vacation" home, then dumbshits like canibal have to bend over to take the head out of their asses to see if it smells or not.

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Hope.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Would you rather them take AF1? Then people would really be bitching then.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 12:33 PM
It's costs the tax payers money. He should have stayed in Washington evidently according to the right wingers. Or what's good for Bush isn't good for Obama I suppose.Do you think it costs the taxpayers more money to move a SS detail in and out of Crawford or NY City?

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 12:34 PM
DC only has McDonalds.But they don't have Dijon mustard.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I think it is a big misnomer to think that a president of the US is ever really on vacation. I think anyone who truly thinks that is full of shit also.

Then I suppose it OK if Obama takes his wife on a date to New York?

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Would you rather them take AF1? Then people would really be bitching then.

I'd rather that if he was willing to grandstand about the excess of others he didn't demonstrate excess himself.

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:36 PM
It's not a defense.
It's never a defense.

Yes, it's very similar to the selective defense.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Hope.Change?

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd rather that if he was willing to grandstand about the excess of others he didn't demonstrate excess himself.

I will say this Obama set himself up by saying what he did because now anytime he wants to go do something outside of the WH people are going to throw it up in his face.

There were righties bitching that he drove down and got burgers one day that is how stupid this all is.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I will say this Obama set himself up by saying what he did because now anytime he wants to go do something outside of the WH people are going to throw it up in his face.

There were righties bitching that he drove down and got burgers one day that is how stupid this all is.

And complained about the type of condiment he had put on it.

petegz28
06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
It's costs the tax payers money. He should have stayed in Washington evidently according to the right wingers. Or what's good for Bush isn't good for Obama I suppose.

I don't think Obama was doing work on his date. :banghead:

petegz28
06-02-2009, 12:42 PM

The problem with Obama is he is out preaching fiscal responsiblity to everyone as he is out traveling around 5-6 days a week.

Example: Did he need to go to Denver to sign the Stimulus Bill? The one that had to be signed by Friday? The one that was so important it sat around for 4 days until he flew his ass to Denver to sign it?

Cannibal
I don't think Obama was doing work on his date. :banghead:

Obama should get on Meth. Then he could stay up 24/7 sitting by the red phone.

petegz28
Obama has already outsepnt Bush,...so the Left needs to just STFU

petegz28
06-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Obama should get on Meth. Then he could stay up 24/7 sitting by the red phone.

It is people who blindly support him and your party that are going to ruin this country. I voted for Bush twice. And man did I bitch about a shitload of what he did.

You obviously will give Barry a pass on whatever it is. Typical of the Left...he is your guy so it's ok that he does the very thing you bitched about for the last 8 years.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 12:46 PM
It is people who blindly support him and your party that are going to ruin this country. I voted for Bush twice. And man did I bitch about a shitload of what he did.

You obviously will give Barry a pass on whatever it is. Typical of the Left...he is your guy so it's ok that he does the very thing you bitched about for the last 8 years.

Actually you're wrong. I am pointing out the hypocrosy of bitching about this when Bush spent almost 40% of his time away from the Whitehouse fishing and golfing.

petegz28
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Actually you're wrong. I am pointing out the hypocrosy of bitching about this when Bush spent almost 40% of his time away from the Whitehouse fishing and golfing.

Ahhh...now we are down to 40%? LMAO....ok

And I don't remember Bush telling anyone they have to quit spending so much on themselves as he took Laura on a date.

I do remember the Left crying cause Bush exercised too much. ROFL

dirk digler
The problem with Obama is he is out preaching fiscal responsiblity to everyone as he is out traveling around 5-6 days a week.

Example: Did he need to go to Denver to sign the Stimulus Bill? The one that had to be signed by Friday? The one that was so important it sat around for 4 days until he flew his ass to Denver to sign it?

Obama doesn't travel that much.

All POTUS signs bill in locations that symbolizes what the bill means.

Example: Congressman George Miller, left, watches as President Bush signs the historic No Child Left Behind education bill into law. As one of the four co-authors of the bill, Miller was invited by President Bush to join him for the signing ceremony in Hamilton, Ohio on January 8, 2002

Cannibal
Ahhh...now we are down to 40%? LMAO....ok

And I don't remember Bush telling anyone they have to quit spending so much on themselves as he took Laura on a date.

I corrected myself with a link earlier in the thread.

petegz28
06-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I corrected myself with a link earlier in the thread.

Do you realize that you are claiming he spent 3.2 years of his time elected on vacation?

wild1
06-02-2009, 12:51 PM

His "date" wasted taypayer money faster than you could destroy it with a blast furnace. There's no reason why they have to take a Gulfstream out to dinner.

In fact, they probably needed at least one more aircraft to ferry the press and staff to fawn over them.

This "date" is going to end up costing the taxpayers just as much as his air force one flyover did.

Is that ok with you? That while he's firing people from General Motors and printing money for all his spending programs so fast that your grandkids will be broke the minute they are born, that he's taking his wife on $250,000 dates?

His ****ing annual salary is only $400,000

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I am just curious how Bush was able to go to Ohio 4 months after our country was brutally attacked on 9/11 to sign a freaking bill when he should have stayed in the WH to protect us all.

wild1
06-02-2009, 12:53 PM
I am just curious how Bush was able to go to Ohio 4 months after our country was brutally attacked on 9/11 to sign a freaking bill when he should have stayed in the WH to protect us all.

Was he going there so Laura could drink champagne, or did it have something to do with his job?

petegz28
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM

If Obama took his work with him like Bush did you might have 1/2 of an argument.

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM
"I'd like to just say one thing about my date night to New York City......The prior administration. Thank you."

- Barry

petegz28
06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
"I'd like to just say one thing about my date night to New York City......The prior administration. Thank you."

- Barry

It was an inherited date night.

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Was Bush saying people shouldn't get bonuses?

blaise
06-02-2009, 12:56 PM
He was probably going there to tape a cameo on Conan O'Brien or SNL. He may want to just tell him to burn the footage.

memyselfI
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM

I don't think they should be but I do know many Democrats were complaining loudly and frequently about Bush's retreats...to his own home in Crawford. Now they are upset that the shoe is on the other foot and the guy is going on a date to swanky places most people can't afford right now.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
His "date" wasted taypayer money faster than you could destroy it with a blast furnace. There's no reason why they have to take a Gulfstream out to dinner.

In fact, they probably needed at least one more aircraft to ferry the press and staff to fawn over them.

This "date" is going to end up costing the taxpayers just as much as his air force one flyover did.

Is that ok with you? That while he's firing people from General Motors and printing money for all his spending programs so fast that your grandkids will be broke the minute they are born, that he's taking his wife on $250,000 dates?

His ****ing annual salary is only $400,000

All POTUS "waste" money because they have to be protected and the press has to follow him. I am sure the drive down to the burger joint cost alot of money too but I guess that is not alright either.

memyselfI
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't blame them. That was probably a pretty dang expensive piece...

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Was he going there so Laura could drink champagne, or did it have something to do with his job?

This was directed at Pete and not the date night

If Obama took his work with him like Bush did you might have 1/2 of an argument.

I just showed you that Bush signed No Child Left Behind in Ohio 4 months after 9/11.

All POTUS sign bills in places where they think the bill symbolizes what it means and also for political purposes. I am pretty sure Bush knew how important Ohio was to his victory just like Obama knows how important Colorado was to his.

blaise
06-02-2009, 01:03 PM
All POTUS "waste" money because they have to be protected and the press has to follow him. I am sure the drive down to the burger joint cost alot of money too but I guess that is not alright either.

So why wouldn't he say how much it cost?

petegz28
06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
This was directed at Pete and not the date night

I just showed you that Bush signed No Child Left Behind in Ohio 4 months after 9/11.

All POTUS sign bills in places where they think the bill symbolizes what it means and also for political purposes. I am pretty sure Bush knew how important Ohio was to his victory just like Obama knows how important Colorado was to his.

WTF does NCLB have to do with anything? Did Congress beat everyone about the brow saying NCLB HAD to be signed TODAY? No. Therefore your comparison is bullshit.

Now, had Congress said "we have to have the bill signed NOW" and Bush waited 4 months then flew top Ohio, you again would have 1/2 of an argument.

HonestChieffan
06-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't blame them. That was probably a pretty dang expensive piece...

Its in the Stimulus Bill, you find it.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Clinton had dates in the oval office.

So did Kennedy! Hey! At least they were cheap dates!:clap:

wild1
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

You can't compare that to his six figure taxpayer funded date.

Bush was there as part of his job. The president travels around the country and makes speeches on policy, signs bills, appears and tours places, meets with people and all of that. That is legitimate travel related to his job.

The fact that your wife wants to go out to a fancy dinner and see a show has nothing to do with your job. He could have taken her out in Washington to any fancy dinner he wanted.

He owes us $250,000, or whatever this costs. He should pay every dime of that back.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

I think that is a fair question. I will be the first to concede it was bad timing on his part but that doesn't mean he should have to sit at home for 4 years,

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 01:15 PM
WTF does NCLB have to do with anything? Did Congress beat everyone about the brow saying NCLB HAD to be signed TODAY? No. Therefore your comparison is bullshit.

Now, had Congress said "we have to have the bill signed NOW" and Bush waited 4 months then flew top Ohio, you again would have 1/2 of an argument.

You asked a question why did he fly to Colorado to sign a bill. I give you an answer which all POTUS fly to certain places to sign bills.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2009, 01:16 PM

I don't disagree completely anyway...but in this economic climate with people losing jobs and cutting back...he should set a very frugal example. Since, he's spending so much on the stimulus though, maybe his example is to teach us all to spend more a la Krugman.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
You can't compare that to his six figure taxpayer funded date.

:spock:

I wasn't. I was answering Pete's question.

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Do you realize that you are claiming he spent 3.2 years of his time elected on vacation?

He spent that much time at Crawford and Camp David combined.

wild1
06-02-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't disagree completely anyway...but in this economic climate with people losing jobs and cutting back...he should set a very frugal example.

The president should never, in any era or economic time or under any circumstances, be chartering a private jet to take his wife out to dinner.

If she wants dinner, take her to the best restaurant in Washington DC. That costs taxpayers plenty already. If she wants to see a broadway show, safe to say the President will probably end up in New York eventually, she can go along and see one then.

All this shows is that the Obamas feel they are entitled to live a celebrity lifestyle and the taxpayers should foot the bill for it.

No, you don't get to know how much it cost. And no, you don't get any say in the matter.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Yep. And I didn't care then and I don't care now. It is not like it is really a vacation or time off any ways because they work 24/7.

Mike Allen of the Washington Post did report in an Aug. 7, 2001 article that Bush had spent all or part of 54 days of his presidency by that time in Crawford, Texas, almost a quarter of his presidency, and that he had spent 42 percent of his presidency (including weekends) at vacation spots or en route.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2009, 01:25 PM
The president should never, in any era or economic time or under any circumstances, be chartering a private jet to take his wife out to dinner.
Private jet...as in not on the taxpayer's dime? Not if he pays for the jet he can't.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Even if he pays for the jet himself? That is stupid.

petegz28
06-02-2009, 01:27 PM

With his staff and he worked. If Obama wants to go work from Illinois, fine. But that isn't what he did.

Taco John
06-02-2009, 01:28 PM
If you are the CEO of a private company you can't be using private jets, or going off to Vegas etc.

If you're the President you can spend over $250,000 tax payer dollars for a date with your wife.

By post #2, everything that needed to be said in this thread was.

BigChiefFan
06-02-2009, 01:28 PM
This is just more partisian crap, that doesn't mean squat. Divide and conquer.

wild1
06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Even if he pays for the jet himself? That is stupid.

If he paid the entire cost of the trip out of his own pocket then fine. Not just the travel, but the entire cost. But he's not doing that. He charged it to the government. And he won't even tell you how much it cost.

This guy is supposed to be an employee of the American people. This is the absolute Mount Everest of arrogance. He tells you that you have to pay for it, but you aren't even allowed to see the bill.

If your credit card company tried to pull this scam on you, you'd have them in court. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to take the guy who pulled this scam into court

memyselfI
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
When are people going to wake up to the fact that he believes his poll numbers which indicate he's more popular than are his policies? Thus he feels he has right to do this because people will not be upset with him if he does.

MOF, he believes there are people (like the media) who find this endearing and will use this as an attempt to humanize and normalize him. They will try to present this as the average marriage couple getting away from the kids and the job and just spending quality time together as most couples love to have the opportunity to do. The media covering him will not find their date to be of any particular extravagance because they likely have these dates themselves.

I fully expect him to continue to do these really contradictory things while he's still well over 50% in the poll numbers. He'll push the envelope believing he has supporters and the media who will apologize and rationalize his actions as being deserved for his hard work.

After all, what Joe Lunch box doesn't want a reprieve and and reward for their hard work?

El Jefe
06-02-2009, 01:51 PM

Heh Obama belt tightening. He want to tell us to tighten our's while he loosens his.

El Jefe
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
If he paid the entire cost of the trip out of his own pocket then fine. Not just the travel, but the entire cost. But he's not doing that. He charged it to the government. And he won't even tell you how much it cost.

This guy is supposed to be an employee of the American people. This is the absolute Mount Everest of arrogance. He tells you that you have to pay for it, but you aren't even allowed to see the bill.

If your credit card company tried to pull this scam on you, you'd have them in court. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to take the guy who pulled this scam into court

I agree.

stevieray
06-02-2009, 02:11 PM

Why do you constantly use Bush to excuse bad behavior..? you're using a guy who you raked over the coals for the last eight years as your barometer...

it makes no sense.

"Well, my last girlfriend did it too.."

:rolleyes:

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 02:23 PM

If he pays for the plane then it is all a wash because whether he goes to dinner in DC or to the hamburger joint Secret Service has to go as well as all the press.

You just want to hold him to a different standard that you didn't want to hold other POTUS too.

blaise
06-02-2009, 02:26 PM
If he pays for the plane then it is all a wash because whether he goes to dinner in DC or to the hamburger joint Secret Service has to go as well as all the press.

You just want to hold him to a different standard that you didn't want to hold other POTUS too.

Yes, sort of like how Obama apparently holds himself to a different standard than the one he held corporate execs to.

wild1
06-02-2009, 02:33 PM

You think the press corp is following him to dinner at a restaurant?

You think there's no difference in what they have to do to get him into a restaurant versus taking him to New York City, through manhattan, to a restaurant, then from the restaurant to a broadway play, then all the way back?

You're full of it.

He should be required to repay every cent the government spent over and above what it cost the last time they traveled by car to a dinner in Washington.

And like I said, no president should be taking a Gulfstream out to dinner. Doesn't matter what their name is. Find me an example of Bush spending a quarter of a million dollars on dinner and a show for his wife and I'll condemn that too.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
LMAO

Ultra Peanut
06-02-2009, 02:43 PM
y'all is seriously fuckin' dumb hth

Stewie
06-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Obama is a BAD President. Watch the bond market. The bond market doesn't care who's President, but it will surely show who's an inept President.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
You think the press corp is following him to dinner at a restaurant?

You think there's no difference in what they have to do to get him into a restaurant versus taking him to New York City, through manhattan, to a restaurant, then from the restaurant to a broadway play, then all the way back?

You're full of it.

He should be required to repay every cent the government spent over and above what it cost the last time they traveled by car to a dinner in Washington.

And like I said, no president should be taking a Gulfstream out to dinner. Doesn't matter what their name is. Find me an example of Bush spending a quarter of a million dollars on dinner and a show for his wife and I'll condemn that too.

Uhhh.. the press corp followed him and Biden to the Burger joint as well as when he went to the one this past week. They pretty much follow him everywhere when he leaves or they raise a stink about it.

Everywhere the POTUS goes is going to cause issues because of security this is nothing new.

Now just let me clarify that I don't know and I highly doubt he payed for his travel but I don't think any POTUS should have to be confined to the WH. People in this country like when their POTUS is visible and out in public. Do I think he should be doing this every weekend? No but one time is no big deal. Now if it becomes a habit then I will agree with you.

memyselfI
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Obama is a BAD President. Watch the bond market. The bond market doesn't care who's President, but it will surely show who's an inept President.

WTF do you know about the financial markets? :D

wild1
06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Uhhh.. the press corp followed him and Biden to the Burger joint as well as when he went to the one this past week. They pretty much follow him everywhere when he leaves or they raise a stink about it.

Everywhere the POTUS goes is going to cause issues because of security this is nothing new.

Now just let me clarify that I don't know and I highly doubt he payed for his travel but I don't think any POTUS should have to be confined to the WH. People in this country like when their POTUS is visible and out in public. Do I think he should be doing this every weekend? No but one time is no big deal. Now if it becomes a habit then I will agree with you.

It doesn't matter what anyone says to you, you will never let yourself believe he did anything wrong in any case... So what's the point.

FishingRod
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes, sort of like how Obama apparently holds himself to a different standard than the one he held corporate execs to.

DING DING DING we have a winner!

That is pretty much the point. In the grand scheme of the Government pissing money away this is not more than an ant turd on their spending superhighway. Normally I would say that as POTUS, a certain amount of extravagance comes with the territory of being on call 24-7 365 days a year. The issue is that he and congress have put out a holier than thou attitude towards not only corporate executives but John Q public. The corporate Executives were raked over the coals for flying in to Washington to meet with Congress. We have been told we should not drive the big evil SUVs or keep our thermostat at 72 degrees even though WE are paying the bill with our own money. That makes us bad wasteful people and we should be ashamed of ourselves. We should use biodegradable toilet paper and grow our own tomatoes in some stupid upside-down container while I serve $100 lb steak It is just another example of the disconnect between our do what we say not as we do leaders and it pisses people off.

dirk digler
06-02-2009, 03:29 PM
It doesn't matter what anyone says to you, you will never let yourself believe he did anything wrong in any case... So what's the point.

That's not true wild I have been critical of Obama over several things.

But the fact remains the press corps follows him everywhere. I just looked up a story about the burger trip that probably cost over $10,000 because of security and the long motorcade. Is that Obama's fault that he has to drag all these people with him? No it is no one's fault because he is the POTUS and that goes with the territory.

Also let's compare one more thing, by August 2001 Bush had already spent 54 days on vacation compared to Obama who right now has 1 weekend back in Chicago.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
That's not true wild I have been critical of Obama over several things.

But the fact remains the press corps follows him everywhere. I just looked up a story about the burger trip that probably cost over $10,000 because of security and the long motorcade. Is that Obama's fault that he has to drag all these people with him? No it is no one's fault because he is the POTUS and that goes with the territory.

Also let's compare one more thing, by August 2001 Bush had already spent 54 days on vacation compared to Obama who right now has 1 weekend back in Chicago.
I don't agree with this one. He could have delivery for a stinkin burger if it's in the local area.

KCCHIEFS27
06-02-2009, 03:45 PM

We are talking about the same corporate executives that ran these once proud American car companies into the ground, right? These executives were the ones that ruined the companies to the point they had to lay off a large amount of people. Then they flew in corporate jets, with there over paid salaries, while the blue collar workers were left struggling. This is all ballyhoo.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Obama has already outsepnt Bush,...so the Left needs to just STFUBut, it is only because of bush's big spending, that he had to spend so much???11/11!!1 WTF??/

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
We are talking about the same corporate executives that ran these once proud American car companies into the ground, right? These executives were the ones that ruined the companies to the point they had to lay off a large amount of people. Then they flew in corporate jets, with there over paid salaries, while the blue collar workers were left struggling. This is all ballyhoo.$70/hr 'cough cough' blue collar workers.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
But, it is only because of bush's big spending, that he had to spend so much???11/11!!1 WTF??/

That's the logic being applied. :LOL:

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Obama is a BAD President. Watch the bond market. The bond market doesn't care who's President, but it will surely show who's an inept President.You sound like James Carville, who once said, "when he reincarnates, he would like to come back as the bond market". His reasoning was, that nobody tells them what to do.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
So did Kennedy! Hey! At least they were cheap dates!:clap:Don't forget, Clinton didn't even stop working for his dates. He was on the phone with Sonny Callihan multitasking during one.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 04:07 PM
All POTUS "waste" money because they have to be protected and the press has to follow him. I am sure the drive down to the burger joint cost alot of money too but I guess that is not alright either.I am afraid, that do to the reckless spending, no one will give a damn where our President is anymore.

Calcountry
06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
That's the logic being applied. :LOL:Yes, Bush so completely fugged things up by being a profligate spender, that Obama needs to spend 3 TIMES as much(deficit spending) just to fix things.

But the key is, the money doesn't hit the fan until six months before teh 2010 midterm elections, and most of it is earmarked to HIS constituencies, just as the GM and Chrysler bailouts raped bondholders to the benefit of UAW workers.

***SPRAYER
06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Remember when that jackass ordered a pizza flown in from another state?

http://www.barackobamawebpage.com/images/barack_obama_whitehouse.gif

RNR
06-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes, Bush so completely fugged things up by being a profligate spender, that Obama needs to spend 3 TIMES as much(deficit spending) just to fix things.

But the key is, the money doesn't hit the fan until six months before teh 2010 midterm elections, and most of it is earmarked to HIS constituencies, just as the GM and Chrysler bailouts raped bondholders to the benefit of UAW workers.

This is the mind set that I would find charming, you know an adult that naive, if it wasn't so tragic. There is plenty of culpability for both parties. You keep on believing it was all Bush! The fact is we traded out two shitbags for two new shitbags. You're a pawn in a chess game between two parties that could give two shits in a bucket about you.

Buehler445
06-02-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't care what arguments you throw out there. To say what he did about GM, Chrysler, Ford, you, and me and then to do this is hypocritical.

Bwana
06-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't have a problem with the guy having some fun at all. That being said, he does need to have the sack to disclose how much "we" are paying for it.

mlyonsd
06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
With the riches come the spoils.

He is a hypocrite though for telling me I drive a car that doesn't get good enough gas mileage while he's flying for a night out melting ice caps.

It's Al Gore type hypocrisy on steroids.

orange
06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't have a problem with the guy having some fun at all. That being said, he does need to have the sack to disclose how much "we" are paying for it.

It's been posted as $73,000. Gibbs didn't have the number but it was easily found.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/obamas_date_night_cost_the_taxpayers_73000/

ILChief
06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
How much did it cost for Bush to fly back and forth to the ranch in Texas all the time. Who cares?

ILChief
06-02-2009, 06:54 PM

do you think Bush flew on Delta or United back to Texas all the time?

ILChief
06-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't see the relevance.

you don't see relevance that people are screaming about paying for Obama to fly to NY but saw nothing wrong with paying for Bush flying back and forth to Texas?

ILChief
06-02-2009, 07:01 PM
He lives in DC. New York is not in DC. What is he saying about DC? That you can't have any fun there? You have to leave?

Do you never leave the city you live in?

Saul Good
06-02-2009, 07:07 PM
you don't see relevance that people are screaming about paying for Obama to fly to NY but saw nothing wrong with paying for Bush flying back and forth to Texas?

Bush was at least working in Texas. He didn't fly there for a meal and a show and fly home the same night.

You could pay 9 people $27,500 a year for what Obama spent on one date. That night literally cost the equivalent of the annual productivity of 9 American workers.

This guy is a joke.

Saul Good
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Probably not via a freaking Gulfstream for a date. If I go out of town, I plan for weeks and save for months. Then I fly commercial.

BucEyedPea
06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
With the riches come the spoils.

He is a hypocrite though for telling me I drive a car that doesn't get good enough gas mileage while he's flying for a night out melting ice caps.

It's Al Gore type hypocrisy on steroids.

:LOL::LOL: LMAO LMAO

orange
06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
You could pay 9 people $27,500 a year for what Obama spent on one date. That night literally cost the equivalent of the annual productivity of 9 American workers.

No, no you couldn't. $73,000. See above.

Random speculation by a Chiefsplaneteer (back in message #2) does not equal reality.

Saul Good
06-02-2009, 07:29 PM
No, no you couldn't. $73,000. See above.

Random speculation by a Chiefsplaneteer (back in message #2) does not equal reality.

Some blog quotes $73,000, and you quote it twice as a fact. Glad to see you're a critical thinker. Look up what it costs to operate a Gulfstream.

orange
06-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Some blog quotes $73,000, and you quote it twice as a fact. Glad to see you're a critical thinker. Look up what it costs to operate a Gulfstream.

I've got a number. You've got a guess - based on the cost of the Air Force I photo-op.

You look it up.

Saul Good
06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I've got a number. You've got a guess - based on the cost of the Air Force I photo-op.

You look it up.

You have a number. I have a number. Both of them are guesses, but mine is at least based on using the hourly cost to operate the plane as a jumping off point.

You quoted an unsourced blog. Stop trying to correct me by sourcing an unsourced blog you freaking mouth-breather.

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 07:36 PM
We are talking about the same corporate executives that ran these once proud American car companies into the ground, right? These executives were the ones that ruined the companies to the point they had to lay off a large amount of people. Then they flew in corporate jets, with there over paid salaries, while the blue collar workers were left struggling. This is all ballyhoo.

You mean the politicians who've run this once proud country into the ground, right? The ones that ran up *trillions* of dollars in debt, bankrupting generations to come?

orange
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
You quoted an unsourced blog.

An unsourced anti-Obama blog. Did you miss that fact?

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Of course. I, however, am not telling everyone to turn up their thermostat and tighten their belts "for the good of us all".

Simplex3
06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
You have a number. I have a number. Both of them are guesses, but mine is at least based on using the hourly cost to operate the plane as a jumping off point.

You quoted an unsourced blog. Stop trying to correct me by sourcing an unsourced blog you freaking mouth-breather.

Rumor has it there were three Gulf Streams, two as decoys. There is also the C-130 that transports the limos, then the three Marine helos that took him and his paparazzi around, and God only knows how much transportation for the Secret Service, not to mention the cops working extra to barricade streets, etc.

orange
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
The actual source of the $73,000 estimate:

How Obamas' romantic 120 trip to Broadway racked up a 45,000 bill
By David Gardner
Last updated at 9:07 AM on 01st June 2009

...that's for three private jets, two helicopter rides, extra planes for security and closing roads for motorcade It was a campaign pledge that Barack Obama didn't dare break - a promise to take his wife out for dinner and a show once the election was over.

So on the weekend he booked a babysitter, asked Michelle to put on a little black dress and swept her off for a date.

The President picked up the tab for a meal at a low-key restaurant, Blue Hill, that specialises in locally grown dishes.

He had also paid 60 apiece for two tickets to Joe Turner's Come And Gone, a play about a man coming to terms with the history of slavery. As a little extra, he shelled out for two martinis to toast his first five months in the White House.

Overall, not too extravagant, and few would begrudge the hard-working couple such a treat. Unfortunately, there were one or two other bills to settle at the end of the night.

High spirits: The President promised his wife a night out once the election was over when on the campaign trail last year

The romantic jaunt is estimated to have cost the taxpayer more than 45,000 in transport and security costs - because the date was in New York.
The President used three planes, one to carry the couple and two to ferry aides and reporters all the way from Washington.

The cost of each flight was thought to be nearly 15,000.

The bill was pushed even higher with the use of two helicopters, one to take the Obamas to catch their plane in Washington and another to zip the party into Manhattan from JFK airport.

Police also shut down New York streets for the motorcade to pass through so they could get to their date on time.

All the transport and security costs were picked up by the White House. But the President was unapologetic, saying: 'I am taking my wife to New York City because I promised her during the campaign that I would take her to a Broadway show after it was all finished.'

In one concession to the tough economic climate, the couple flew on a smaller Gulfstream rather than the Boeing 747 customarily used as the presidential Air Force One.

In demand: The presidential visit drew huge crowds outside the theatre
However, Gail Gitcho, of the Republican National Committee, said Mr Obama could just as easily have taken his wife to see a show in Washington for a fraction of the cost.

'If President Obama wants to go to the theatre, isn't the presidential box at the Kennedy Centre good enough?' she said.

The Republican Party slammed the President for taking an extravagant outing at a time when American car giant General Motors is set to plunge into bankruptcy.

'As President Obama prepares to wing into Manhattan's theatre district on Air Force One to take in a Broadway show, GM is preparing to file bankruptcy and families across America continue to struggle to pay their bills,' read the statement issued before the trip.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1189893/How-Obamas-romantic-120-trip-Broadway-racked-45-000-bill.html

Cannibal
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Why do you constantly use Bush to excuse bad behavior..? you're using a guy who you raked over the coals for the last eight years as your barometer...

it makes no sense.

"Well, my last girlfriend did it too.."

:rolleyes:

hypocrisy

RNR
06-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I have no idea how much it cost. I see the Obama groupies rush to his defense saying Bush was worse. I do know this I hear him telling workers and businesses that "painful sacrifices need to be made" and making slams against CEOs for flying around in private jets (oh and I would like to thank him and his cronies for trying to bankrupt the aircraft industry by vilifying business jets)I guess his painful sacrifice was only flying to New York. What a crock of shit.

banyon
06-02-2009, 10:32 PM
<div><iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/31051939#31051939" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 425px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">Breaking News</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">World News</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">News about the Economy</a></p></div>

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Chris Mathews really thinks that this was about Republicans being "less cultured"? What a tard.

ILChief
06-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Rumor has it there were three Gulf Streams, two as decoys. There is also the C-130 that transports the limos, then the three Marine helos that took him and his paparazzi around, and God only knows how much transportation for the Secret Service, not to mention the cops working extra to barricade streets, etc.

well, if it's rumor it must be true

ILChief
06-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Of course. I, however, am not telling everyone to turn up their thermostat and tighten their belts "for the good of us all".

how do you know he isn't doing both.

ILChief
06-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Probably not via a freaking Gulfstream for a date. If I go out of town, I plan for weeks and save for months. Then I fly commercial.

so now Republicans hate people with money. CLASSIC

BigRedChief
06-03-2009, 06:27 AM
jeezzz don't you have enogh to bitch about. This is like some lame memyself Obummer thread.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 06:40 AM
jeezzz don't you have enogh to bitch about. This is like some lame memyself Obummer thread.

You're the biggest peter-puffer for Obama on this board.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2009, 06:43 AM
What are the tax consequences to the President if he travels on a non-business trip using government transportation?

Its a serious question based on the tax code as I recall that applies to personal use of employer vehicals. If Im not mistaken, one of the charges being leveled at Blago in Illinois is that he failed to report as income the cost of the state airplane to shuttle he, the wife and kids back and forth to Chicago from Springfield when he did so and no official business required the trips.

If you have a company car provided to you the tax code requires that personal use miles and associated costs are counted as personal income and you pay income tax on that use.

Shouldn't that same part of the code apply to Obama?

BigRedChief
06-03-2009, 06:47 AM
You're the biggest peter-puffer for Obama on this board.
dude I came by my view honestly. I am no bandwagooner. There is a public record of that fact.

I hadn't decided who to vote for in the primaries and posted a thread about who I should vote for. I decided on Obama before the Iowa primary. Before he was even considered to have a chance against Hillary. Before he was a "celebrity".

So you can disagree with my views and tell me that I slober on Obamas knob and try to riducule my political views but the fact remains that I have right to decide my own opinion even if its wrong in your opinion.

blaise
06-03-2009, 06:59 AM
so now Republicans hate people with money. CLASSIC

So now liberals are defending flights on private jets.
CLASSIC.

blaise
06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
how do you know he isn't doing both.

He's tightening up his belt by flying to NYC for a play just months after he cracked on corporate excess?

Okeydoke.

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 07:12 AM
well, if it's rumor it must be true

First, I was clear that it was a rumor.

Second, turned out it WAS true. The second and third jet were used to shuttle Obama's paparazzi. Obviously necessary, because there aren't any press people actually IN New York to cover such a splendid event as dear leader eating.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 07:13 AM
dude I came by my view honestly. I am no bandwagooner. There is a public record of that fact.

I hadn't decided who to vote for in the primaries and posted a thread about who I should vote for. I decided on Obama before the Iowa primary. Before he was even considered to have a chance against Hillary. Before he was a "celebrity".

So you can disagree with my views and tell me that I slober on Obamas knob and try to riducule my political views but the fact remains that I have right to decide my own opinion even if its wrong in your opinion.

Like I said, you are his biggest peter-puffer. You picked him before you knew jack shit about him and he does no wrong in your eyes because of that. I am not asking you to share my opinion. You just remind me of the parent who swears their kid never does anything wrong, no matter how rotten the brat is.

BigRedChief
06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Like I said, you are his biggest peter-puffer. You picked him before you knew jack shit about him and he does no wrong in your eyes because of that. I am not asking you to share my opinion. You just remind me of the parent who swears their kid never does anything wrong, no matter how rotten the brat is.
He has done plenty wrong. But who can expect perfection. ohhh only you when the politican is a dem.

Not being tougher on the banks for accountability.
Continuing military commision trials
Not coming up with a plan before closing Gitmo
Not allowing 5 days to review a bill

petegz28
06-03-2009, 07:22 AM
He has done plenty wrong. But who can expect perfection. ohhh only you when the politican is a dem.

Not being tougher on the banks for accountability.
Continuing military commision trials
Not coming up with a plan before closing Gitmo
Not allowing 5 days to review a bill

How about nationalizing companies and wasting billions of tax payer $'s to the tune of more than Bush spent in 8 years?

Ah, but you are for that....

orange
06-03-2009, 08:01 AM
What are the tax consequences to the President if he travels on a non-business trip using government transportation?

Its a serious question based on the tax code as I recall that applies to personal use of employer vehicals. If Im not mistaken, one of the charges being leveled at Blago in Illinois is that he failed to report as income the cost of the state airplane to shuttle he, the wife and kids back and forth to Chicago from Springfield when he did so and no official business required the trips.

If you have a company car provided to you the tax code requires that personal use miles and associated costs are counted as personal income and you pay income tax on that use.

He probably has to count it as the value of a ticket on an airline. He can't be held responsible for all the security and press that have to come along.

Do you believe Bush payed income tax on the full cost of his 77 round trips to Crawford? If you're really interested instead of just pussing up, those tax returns are public and viewable.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 08:04 AM
He probably has to count it as the value of a ticket on an airline. He can't be held responsible for all the security and press that have to come along.

Do you believe Bush payed income tax on the full cost of his 77 round trips to Crawford? If you're really interested instead of just pussing up, those tax returns are public and viewable.

Security, I understand. Press??? GTFO. They can pay their own way. They have a Right to report. Not a Right to a free ride on the tax payer tip.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2009, 08:06 AM
In Blagos case the taxable value is the cost of the operation of the plane not the cost of a commercial ticket as I recall rreading.

Re: Bush....there is a point when that becomes a moot point isn't there? I mean, the question is not did Bush do something that he got away with and now we hold Obo to a different standard. Its a question of the tax code and the tax code applies to Bush as well as it applies to Obo.

The code would apply to Bush if he made a trip for no reason other than going to Crawford with no work intended and no official business conducted.

The issue is I am required by the tax code to live by the rules. Is the president also covered by the same rules?

petegz28
06-03-2009, 08:09 AM
In Blagos case the taxable value is the cost of the operation of the plane not the cost of a commercial ticket as I recall rreading.

Re: Bush....there is a point when that becomes a moot point isn't there? I mean, the question is not did Bush do something that he got away with and now we hold Obo to a different standard. Its a question of the tax code and the tax code applies to Bush as well as it applies to Obo.

The code would apply to Bush if he made a trip for no reason other than going to Crawford with no work intended and no official business conducted.

The issue is I am required by the tax code to live by the rules. Is the president also covered by the same rules?

The whole point that I find hillarious is the way they slammed Bush for everything now they support Obama because "Bush did it too".

banyon
06-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Chris Mathews really thinks that this was about Republicans being "less cultured"? What a tard.

Actually, I think it was just about Bush being less cultured.

orange
06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
The whole point that I find hillarious is the way they slammed Bush for everything now they support Obama because "Bush did it too".

So you believe Obama should not be compensated equally to Bush for the same job? Interesting.

At what level should he be compensated? Three fifths maybe?

BigRedChief
06-03-2009, 08:16 AM
So you believe Obama should not be compensated equally to Bush for the same job? Interesting.

unless he's clearing brush he's not a man in the same way Bush was so yeah 3/5ths sounds right.

orange
06-03-2009, 08:17 AM
unless he's clearing brush he's not a man in the same way Bush was so yeah 3/5ths sounds right.

Three fifths IS the traditional figure for "other persons," after all, so there is Constitutional precedent.

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:18 AM

I don't really have a problem with a President doing this on face value, but are you denying there's a reason to poke fun at him for doing this after he made a point about corporate excess and people tightening their belts?

I'm sure some of the people the government wanted to take bonuses away from actually deserved that compensation too.

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:20 AM

Are you implying this is all somehow about race?

orange
06-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't really have a problem with a President doing this on face value, but are you denying there's a reason to poke fun at him for doing this after he made a point about corporate excess and people tightening their belts?

I'm sure some of the people the government wanted to take bonuses away from actually deserved that compensation too.

On the poke fun aspect...

When someone who drives a Hummer (Crawford trip) pokes fun at someone who drives a Taurus (New York trip) for not driving an economical car, they're really only making jokes of themselves. Then they whine about the injustice of it all that people aren't laughing...

BucEyedPea
06-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Three fifths IS the traditional figure for "other persons," after all, so there is Constitutional precedent.

LMAO:LOL:

orange
06-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Are you implying this is all somehow about race?

Why else should Obama be payed less (including percs) than the previous President? I'm all ears.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Who said he should be paid less?

orange
06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Who said he should be paid less?

This here:

I read that as "Obama must not exercise the percs of the office the way Bush did." How else am I supposed to read that?

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:26 AM

When someone who drives a Hummer (Crawford trip) pokes fun at someone who drives a Taurus (New York trip) for not driving an economical car, they're really only making jokes of themselves. Then they whine about the injustice of it all that people aren't laughing...

I'm failing to understand by Bush's trips mean no one is allowed to criticise Obama.
I mean, that's convenient for Obama supporters I guess.

Maybe you misread what I said- I said I didn't have a problem with him doing it on face value, but the fact that he and some of his peers grandstanded about corporate excess makes it comical. I don't recall Bush doing that.

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Why else should Obama be payed less (including percs) than the previous President? I'm all ears.

Well that's one way to shut down criticism of Obama- allege racism.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Wow, did I say that? No. Nice dodge. I can see you clearly want to avoid the point I made.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 08:28 AM
This here:

I read that as "Obama must not exercise the percs of the office the way Bush did." How else am I supposed to read that?

You should read it as it was stated. Obama supporters are giving Obama a free pass on the same shit they slammed Bush for. But you knew that and want to hide from it.

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:28 AM
This here:

Maybe the way he wrote it instead of injecting your own prejudices into it and seeing what you want to see.

orange
06-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Should Bush pay income tax on the full cost of all his trips to Crawford, minus the percentage of time he spent on business?

Should Obama pay income tax on the full cost of all his trip to New York, minus the percentage of time he spent on business (none in this case)?

orange
06-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Maybe the way he wrote it instead of injecting your own prejudices into it and seeing what you want to see.

Please explain the difference from "the way he wrote it" and the way I interpreted it.

What other reason to hold Obama to a different standard? As I said before, I'm all ears.

Correct me.

ChiefsGirl
06-03-2009, 08:33 AM
This whole thread is ridiculous.

Because of security concerns a sitting president can not go anywhere without great expense to the taxpayer. It's crazy to expect anyone to become a prisoner to the job of serving their country. If "date night" became a weekly or even monthly occurrence then maybe there is cause for concern.

It just seems that people are grasping for reasons to be outraged.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Should Bush pay income tax on the full cost of all his trips to Crawford, minus the percentage of time he spent on business?

Should Obama pay income tax on the full cost of all his trip to New York, minus the percentage of time he spent on business (none in this case)?

Wha wha wha....we already have established how bad Bush was according the Left.

The question you keep wanting to dodge is "should Obama do what Bush did just because Bush did it, even though us Dems slammed Bush for it?"

I would run from that question if I were an Obama supporter as well.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Because of security concerns a sitting president can not go anywhere without great expense to the taxpayer. It's crazy to expect anyone to become a prisoner to the job of serving their country. If "date night" became a weekly or even monthly occurrence then maybe there is cause for concern.

Perhaps Obama should shut his mouth then when he tells others they have to tighten their belt?

orange
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
The question you keep wanting to dodge is "should Obama do what Bush did just because Bush did it, even though us Dems slammed Bush for it?"

Dodge? Exactly who is dodging that question?

YES!!!!! OBAMA SHOULD DO EVERYTHING THE OFFICE ENTAILS!!!!!!! JUST LIKE BUSH!!!!!

Where did you get the impression any lefty here was "running from" your question?

Think much of yourself?

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Please explain the difference from "the way he wrote it" and the way I interpreted it.

What other reason to hold Obama to a different standard? As I said before, I'm all ears.

Correct me.

Is there any justification of what Bush did in the sentence he wrote? Did he say he was holding them to different standards? The way I read it is him saying people on the left are holding Obama to a different standard. I don't really know where you're getting your interpretation.

orange
06-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Is there any justification of what Bush did in the sentence he wrote? Did he say he was holding them to different standards? The way I read it is him saying people on the left are holding Obama to a different standard. I don't really know where you're getting your interpretation.

Still waiting....

And as for him holding Obama to a different standard, I'll repeat:

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Still waiting....

They should pay the same tax. What's your point? When did I say any different?

orange
06-03-2009, 08:50 AM
They should pay the same tax. What's your point? When did I say any different?

The question wasn't primarily directed to you.

What's the point of this whole thread bitching about Obama's expenses by people who had no problem with Bush's?

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:50 AM

Still waiting....

And as for him holding Obama to a different standard, I'll repeat:

You're supposed to read it that some people criticising Bush are not now criticising Obama. I normally consider you fairly bright, so I don't know if you're being disingenuous or obstinate or what, but it's a fairly simple statement and you're trying to make it something it's not.

orange
06-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Again, should Obama and/or Bush pay for the full cost of their trips?

Bush did not pay for the full cost of the Presidential entourage. Neither will Obama I expect.

Why is this an issue now but not then?

Or as HonestChiefFan put it, what exactly "is a point when that becomes a moot point?"

"The question is not did Bush do something that he got away with and now we hold Obo to a different standard."

To this I would say that neither of them "got away with" anything. The tax code doesn't hold the President responsible for the added costs of his travel due to the office.

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM

When someone who tells me to turn up my thermostat and tells the owner of my company he makes too much and must sacrifice for the good of all hops on three private jets for some food and a show he's only making a joke of himself.

blaise
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM

What's the point of this whole thread bitching about Obama's expenses by people who had no problem with Bush's?

I think it's because Bush never made it a point to point out Wall Street excess.

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM

You mean other than the fact that you tore Bush up for the exact same actions?

petegz28
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Dodge? Exactly who is dodging that question?

YES!!!!! OBAMA SHOULD DO EVERYTHING THE OFFICE ENTAILS!!!!!!! JUST LIKE BUSH!!!!!

Where did you get the impression any lefty here was "running from" your question?

Think much of yourself?

Well, the fact that you still have not addressed the point would be pretty indicative of where I get such impression.

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 08:58 AM

I'm a prisoner because I can't afford to fly hundreds of miles to another city for dinner and a show? Because if I'm not then he sure as hell isn't either.

IIRC this is their third date night outside of DC. So it's only bi-monthly so far.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Mr. Orange is having a difficult time with the question.

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 08:59 AM

Find one person in this thread that was OK with Bush pissing away money. You're imagining things.

orange
06-03-2009, 09:04 AM
You're supposed to read it that some people criticising Bush are not now criticising Obama. I normally consider you fairly bright, so I don't know if you're being disingenuous or obstinate or what, but it's a fairly simple statement and you're trying to make it something it's not.

And would it also be true that some people who are criticizing Obama now were defending Bush? And would this be equally "hilarious?"

petegz28
06-03-2009, 09:06 AM
And would it also be true that some people who are criticizing Obama now were defending Bush? And would this be equally "hilarious?"

Once again the "Bush did it too" or in this case Bush supporters, tactic comes out.

You just reinforced the point I made. Thanks.

orange
06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
You mean other than the fact that you tore Bush up for the exact same actions?

Well, not me personally, but you have a point generally.

But even there, I believe you're off base. I don't recall anyone attacking Bush for each and every trip he ever took.

orange
06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Mr. Orange is having a difficult time with the question.

Which question? I believe I've answered every question that's been put forward.

Is there one I'm missing?

And speaking of answering the question, I'm still waiting for your answer to this:

HonestChieffan
06-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Indeed there is.

blaise
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM

Yes.

orange
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Indeed there is.

?

I'm not a mind reader.

orange
06-03-2009, 09:15 AM

Yes.

petegz28,

Waiting for your answer. blaise has come through, but he's not the one the question was primarily aimed at.

ChiefsGirl
06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm a prisoner because I can't afford to fly hundreds of miles to another city for dinner and a show? Because if I'm not then he sure as hell isn't either.

IIRC this is their third date night outside of DC. So it's only bi-monthly so far.

I haven't heard of the other two date nights. When and where were they?

orange
06-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Once again the "Bush did it too" or in this case Bush supporters, tactic comes out.

You just reinforced the point I made. Thanks.

And you just reinforced mine. blaise was able to give a simple answer, you can't.

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 09:23 AM

No and no. What Obama SHOULD do is climb down off his high horse before he talks shit, though.

He's all about transparency, but won't tell us the cost of this trip.

He's all about reducing carbon emissions regardless of the cost, but runs two private jets to cart his paparazzi to NY so they can take pictures of him eating.

He's all over corporate CEOs for using business jets to get to a Congressional hearing, then takes three for one dinner date.

He tells GM employees that they are being laid off for the good of the country and future generations, but can't find it in his heart to eat in the city he's already in.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 09:25 AM
And you just reinforced mine. blaise was able to give a simple answer, you can't.

I can and I did. You are doing the "they did it too" play. But you keep running around that small fact.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 09:27 AM
No and no. What Obama SHOULD do is climb down off his high horse before he talks shit, though.

He's all about transparency, but won't tell us the cost of this trip.

He's all about reducing carbon emissions regardless of the cost, but runs two private jets to cart his paparazzi to NY so they can take pictures of him eating.

He's all over corporate CEOs for using business jets to get to a Congressional hearing, then takes three for one dinner date.

He tells GM employees that they are being laid off for the good of the country and future generations, but can't find it in his heart to eat in the city he's already in.

:hmmm:

Yep

Simplex3
06-03-2009, 09:27 AM
I haven't heard of the other two date nights. When and where were they?

One was to Chicago, they did spend the night. I can't remember where the other was.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2009, 09:28 AM

And speaking of answering the question, I'm still waiting for your answer to this:

That is not what the tax code says. If you want to debate the re write of the tax code fine but thats not the issue I asked my original question about.

blaise
06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
One was to Chicago, they did spend the night. I can't remember where the other was.

I think the other one was actually in DC.

orange
06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
That is not what the tax code says. If you want to debate the re write of the tax code fine but thats not the issue I asked my original question about.

What should Obama declare as income for his trip to NY? All three planes? Just his plane?

Should Bush, Obama, or any President declare as income the cost of Air Force I for the personal percentage of his trips? If not, what's the difference in this case?

I said I thought they had to declare the cost of a plane ticket. Why should it be anything else? And why is this an issue now, given that this was the cheapest Presidential flight probably in decades?

trndobrd
06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
We might not be able to find out how much the Obama's night out cost, but we know where all the nuclear facilities in the U.S. are located:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090603/D98J6BAG0.html