PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Chicago Law Banning Handguns in City Upheld by Court

petegz28
06-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Our Rights are being eroded...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awIn1M4tWxi8&refer=worldwide

By Andrew M. Harris

June 2 (Bloomberg) -- A Chicago ordinance banning handguns and automatic weapons within city limits was upheld by a U.S. Court of Appeals panel, which rejected a challenge by the National Rifle Association.

The unanimous three-judge panel ruled today that a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year, which recognized an individual right to bear arms under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment, didn’t apply to states and municipalities.

“The Supreme Court has rebuffed requests to apply the second amendment to the states,” U.S. Circuit Judge Frank Easterbrook wrote, upholding lower court decisions last year to throw out suits against Chicago and its suburb of Oak Park, Illinois.

Anyone got stats on the crime rate in Chicago?

BigChiefFan
06-03-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm absolutely blown away by what is taking place in our country. This is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

HC_Chief
06-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm absolutely blown away by what is taking place in our country. This is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

+1

petegz28
I like how it seems now we pick and choose what parts of the Constitution are applicable and where. I do not see how they can say the Constitution is not applicable in States or Municipalities. WTF? If that is true then how is it applicable at all?

HonestChieffan
Buy stock in Sturm Ruger..

BigChiefFan
06-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Do these politicians and judges even remember who they are supposed to serve? Where's the outrage for YOUR RIGHTS?

DenverChief
06-03-2009, 11:43 AM
This has to be overturned they lifted the D.C. ban

blaise
06-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Do these politicians and judges even remember who they are supposed to serve? Where's the outrage for YOUR RIGHTS?

I'm sure the ACLU is on it right now.

Chief Henry
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm sure the ACLU is on it right now.

Acorn should get involved.

Adept Havelock
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
What's the makeup of this court? Who appointed them?

Probably.

Frazod
06-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Thank God I don't live here anymore.

Chief Faithful
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Maybe the second amendment only aplies in DC being the only federal district.STFU

I suspect his is Supreme Court bound and will be over turned.

blaise
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I guess that'll be the end of gun crime in Chicago then.

Buddy Rich
06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I guess that'll be the end of gun crime in Chicago then.

the article talks about banning guns not black people. silly goose.

DJ's left nut
06-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Wait...what?

Did we manage to sneak three judges onto the Appeals Court that haven't heard of the supremacy clause?

There has to be more to that ruling because on its face it certainly suggests that the those three judges didn't actually make it out of law school.

ClevelandBronco
06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I guess it's time to move to a territory of the U.S.

HC_Chief
06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
If you take the ruling into context, the 7th CC is actually correct.

The NRA brought suit to overturn the Chicago ordinance. It used the USSC ruling as precedent. The USSC DC ruling was explicit in that its findings in that case were scoped to that district alone and did not give carte blanche precedent.

The 7th CC is then correct in that the USSC ruling cannot be used as precedent to overturn the Chicago ordinance.

I'm certain the case will be appealed and will eventually go before the USSC; I'm also certain they will rule the same way as they did in the DC case. State and municipal governments do not have the authority to trump the United States' Constitution.