PDA

View Full Version : Computers Synching Outlook and Blackberry

Buehler445
06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey guys, I've been fooling with this for awhile and figured it'd be quicker if I got some direction. I'm trying to synch my Blackberry (Curve 8330) with Outlook 2007. It is just to a gmail account.

I went through the BB desktop manager and it would let me synch tasks, memo notes, and calendar, but there wasn't an option for email. Outlook help wasn't much help.

Anybody know how to do this? TIA.

Fish
06-04-2009, 10:45 PM
To download the free Gmail for mobile application, visit m.google.com/mail from your BlackBerry web browser. Then, launch the application with the red "M" icon (http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/images/red_M_icon.gif) from your BlackBerry home screen or from the applications folder. If you also have a personal @gmail.com account, you can add it to this application so you can access both Gmail and Google Apps email accounts from the same place.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/mobile.html

Buehler445
06-04-2009, 10:59 PM
To download the free Gmail for mobile application, visit m.google.com/mail from your BlackBerry web browser. Then, launch the application with the red "M" icon (http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/images/red_M_icon.gif) from your BlackBerry home screen or from the applications folder. If you also have a personal @gmail.com account, you can add it to this application so you can access both Gmail and Google Apps email accounts from the same place.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/mobile.html

I think you're misunderstanding me. I have the email set up on the Blackberry and it brings in the messages fine. What I want to do is synch the email I receive in my blackberry to my outlook 2007 which gets the same messages.

For instance, if I get an email in on my blackberry and then subsequently delete it, when I plug my blackberry in, I want it to delete it off my Outlook also.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-05-2009, 08:01 AM
there is a setting in BB Desktop. you probably want it to use the "device wins" setting.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4FcGhYzHaBO90Goizd36Qw?authkey=Gv1sRgCI7fu579iK6MxwE&feat=directlink

Buehler445
06-05-2009, 08:21 AM
there is a setting in BB Desktop. you probably want it to use the "device wins" setting.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4FcGhYzHaBO90Goizd36Qw?authkey=Gv1sRgCI7fu579iK6MxwE&feat=directlink

I don't think I looked at that. I'll give it a try when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
It's inefficient to sync two independent e-mail clients that get their info from the same mail server. And I'm not sure if you can actually sync a BB client with an Outlook client if you wanted to. They both get their info from the same place. You need to edit how they get that info instead of trying to sync them when they're acting independently of each other.

What you need to do is setup both Outlook and BB to delete messages from the server when they are deleted from the client. There are settings in both Outlook and BB to do this. Make sure the clients are setup to use IMAP instead of POP. Here's the IMAP settings recommended for gmail:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892

And gmail is a little different in the way it handles deleted messages. The gmail trash doesn't work like most Deleted Items folders on other mail providers. Make sure you understand how gmail's Trash folder works...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78755&ctx=sibling

Setup Outlook according to the IMAP settings above, and use the Gmail app for BB, and you should be fine.

Buehler445
06-05-2009, 08:43 AM
It's inefficient to sync two independent e-mail clients that get their info from the same mail server. And I'm not sure if you can actually sync a BB client with an Outlook client if you wanted to. They both get their info from the same place. You need to edit how they get that info instead of trying to sync them when they're acting independently of each other.

What you need to do is setup both Outlook and BB to delete messages from the server when they are deleted from the client. There are settings in both Outlook and BB to do this. Make sure the clients are setup to use IMAP instead of POP. Here's the IMAP settings recommended for gmail:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892

And gmail is a little different in the way it handles deleted messages. The gmail trash doesn't work like most Deleted Items folders on other mail providers. Make sure you understand how gmail's Trash folder works...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78755&ctx=sibling

Setup Outlook according to the IMAP settings above, and use the Gmail app for BB, and you should be fine.

Jesus Christ. I may be too stupid to do this. Thanks Fish. I didn't know most of that. But that makes sense. It kind of irks me that I have to use google's app for it.

Damn it. This may be more complicated than is worth it.

Thanks fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
06-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Jesus Christ. I may be too stupid to do this. Thanks Fish. I didn't know most of that. But that makes sense. It kind of irks me that I have to use google's app for it.

Damn it. This may be more complicated than is worth it.

Thanks fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device

my post will fix your problem.

Mr. Krab
06-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Outlook FTL

Fish
06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
my post will fix your problem.

Actually it won't. Unless you have a BES(Blackberry Enterprise Server), Blackberry only allows you to sync your tasks, calendar and contacts though the Desktop Manager. It won't sync your gmail e-mail with Desktop Manager.

You have to use the gmail app on your BB device if you want BB to actually edit mail on the gmail server like you're wanting to.

Buehler445
06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Would it be easier to get a different damn email account? I've got 3 - hotmail (FULL of spam), Yahoo (you have to pay to use Outlook), and Gmail.

If I were to get a different email account, would it allieviate some of my problems?

I'm not too keen on using gmails app. It makes it kind of redundant to have a message system on Blackberry and then download gmails app.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Actually it won't. Unless you have a BES(Blackberry Enterprise Server), Blackberry only allows you to sync your tasks, calendar and contacts though the Desktop Manager. It won't sync your gmail e-mail with Desktop Manager.

You have to use the gmail app on your BB device if you want BB to actually edit mail on the gmail server like you're wanting to.

maybe I'm confused, but he is:

1) using Outlook to pull down his Gmail to his desktop
2) syncing desktop to BB using redirector
3) wants to delete the email from his desktop if he's deleted it from his BB

If this is the case, my method will work. It is not deleting it from Gmail's server (nor do I think he's asking it to) so it doesn't need BES to sync OTA.

And Buehler, no getting another email won't help.

Fish
06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
maybe I'm confused, but he is:

1) using Outlook to pull down his Gmail to his desktop
2) syncing desktop to BB using redirector
3) wants to delete the email from his desktop if he's deleted it from his BB

If this is the case, my method will work. It is not deleting it from Gmail's server (nor do I think he's asking it to) so it doesn't need BES to sync OTA.

And Buehler, no getting another email won't help.

Because that's even more convoluted. And it necessitates that his host PC be on and connected at all times for it to even work. If anything happens to his host PC or it's connection, the system breaks and he doesn't get any e-mail. That's why syncing one independent e-mail client to another independent e-mail client is a bad idea. And Redirector is only an e-mail forwarding app. That's all it will allow you to do is forward e-mail from Gmail to his blackberry e-mail. To delete emails and synchronize calendar, tasks, contacts, and other stuff, he'll have to physically connect the device to the computer. Which defeats the purpose of having mobile e-mail. That and Blackberry specifically states that Redirector is not intended for non-corporate usage such as this....

Note: The BlackBerry Desktop Redirector for non-corporate users is not supported. Please see www.blackberry.com (http://www.blackberry.com) for information on the BlackBerry Internet Service™.http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/7979/1181821/278487/BlackBerry_Desktop_Redirector.pdf?nodeid=333825&vernum=0

The best solution would be to configure Outlook according to the Gmail IMAP instructions link I posted earlier. Then configure the Gmail app on the Blackberry. There is nothing to fear with the Gmail app on the BB. It's safe, and it's not using a lot of resources. It's actually more efficient than bouncing e-mails back and forth from Gmail to Outlook to BB. It's less traffic in the end. The Gmail app will give you control to delete message directly from Gmail without the need for any additional steps. Same with Gmail in Outlook.

Stryker
06-05-2009, 01:12 PM

EXACTLY! Our company uses a BES server for our Outlook 2007 and BB sync.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Because that's even more convoluted. And it necessitates that his host PC be on and connected at all times for it to even work. If anything happens to his host PC or it's connection, the system breaks and he doesn't get any e-mail. That's why syncing one independent e-mail client to another independent e-mail client is a bad idea. And Redirector is only an e-mail forwarding app. That's all it will allow you to do is forward e-mail from Gmail to his blackberry e-mail. To delete emails and synchronize calendar, tasks, contacts, and other stuff, he'll have to physically connect the device to the computer. Which defeats the purpose of having mobile e-mail. That and Blackberry specifically states that Redirector is not intended for non-corporate usage such as this....

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/7979/1181821/278487/BlackBerry_Desktop_Redirector.pdf?nodeid=333825&vernum=0

The best solution would be to configure Outlook according to the Gmail IMAP instructions link I posted earlier. Then configure the Gmail app on the Blackberry. There is nothing to fear with the Gmail app on the BB. It's safe, and it's not using a lot of resources. It's actually more efficient than bouncing e-mails back and forth from Gmail to Outlook to BB. It's less traffic in the end. The Gmail app will give you control to delete message directly from Gmail without the need for any additional steps. Same with Gmail in Outlook.

Agreed, but based on his statements, he does not have corporate BES. Based on his comments, I think he IS doing exactly as you describe, which is how our small company is also set up. I think his resistance to using the GMail APP is that he wants to use Outlook for his other needs and therefore will still be syncing anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Your way works, I'm just not sure it's what he wants.

Buehler445
06-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I must be a fucking idiot. I'm trying to do what mikey suggested and see if that will get me what I want because it's easier, then if I need to update to what Fish is suggesting I can go from there.

But attached is a screenshot of what I'm looking at. I can't configure the mail reconciliation. And configuring the synchronization only lets me do the tasks and notes and shit.

Is there a setting on either the device or Outlook that will allow me to configure the reconciliation?

This is pissing me off a bit.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I must be a ****ing idiot. I'm trying to do what mikey suggested and see if that will get me what I want because it's easier, then if I need to update to what Fish is suggesting I can go from there.

But attached is a screenshot of what I'm looking at. I can't configure the mail reconciliation. And configuring the synchronization only lets me do the tasks and notes and shit.

Is there a setting on either the device or Outlook that will allow me to configure the reconciliation?

click on where the icon says SYNCRONIZE. Next clock on where it says RECONCILIATION on the left hand side. You should be looking at the screen from my post.

Buehler445
06-09-2009, 10:11 PM
click on where the icon says SYNCRONIZE. Next clock on where it says RECONCILIATION on the left hand side. You should be looking at the screen from my post.

We must have different versions or something. When I click on Synchronize, I get a pop up window that is shown in my post.

Fish
06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I must be a ****ing idiot. I'm trying to do what mikey suggested and see if that will get me what I want because it's easier, then if I need to update to what Fish is suggesting I can go from there.

I already mentioned this....

Blackberry only allows you to sync your tasks, calendar and contacts though the Desktop Manager. It won't sync your gmail e-mail with Desktop Manager.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
We must have different versions or something. When I click on Synchronize, I get a pop up window that is shown in my post.

YGPM