PDA

View Full Version : Religion The Catholic Church is growing

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 05:05 AM
New statistics show U.S. Catholics increase in numbers
Comments: 0

Washington D.C., Jun 5, 2009 / 02:57 am (CNA).- The 2009 Official Catholic Directory has released new statistics on the Catholic population. The directory shows that there are 68.1 million Catholics in the United States, an increase of about one million from the previous year which maintains Catholics as 22 percent of the U.S. population.

The directory, also known as the Kenedy Directory, reports that there are 41,489 diocesan and religious order priests, 60,715 religious sisters, 4,905 religious brothers and 16,935 permanent deacons. In 2008 there were 887,145 infant baptisms, 42,629 adult baptisms, and 81,775 baptized Christians who entered full communion with the Church. The Kenedy Directory lists 18,674 parishes, including 91 new parishes, and 189 seminaries with 4,973 students.

Over 722,000 students are in high school religious education programs, while over three million are in elementary school religious ed.

There are 6,133 Catholic elementary schools and 1.6 million students. The country’s 1,341 Catholic high schools educate over 674,000 students, while 234 Catholic colleges and universities serve, over 795,000 students.

U.S. Catholic hospitals number 562 and serve almost 85.3 million patients, while 3009 Catholic social service centers assist 27.2 million people annually.

According to a press release from the U.S. bishops' conference, Catholic organizations in the United States provide an estimated $28.2 billion in services through institutions represented by the Catholic Health Association ($5.7 billion), Catholic Charities USA ($3.5 billion), and the National Catholic Education Association ($19.8 billion).

These figures do not include assistance provided through parishes and other organizations such as the Knights of Columbus.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=16201

Mile High Mania
06-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Certain baby booms in specific population demographics could help explain this one...

BucEyedPea
06-05-2009, 06:13 AM
It's growing more worldwide.

FishingRod
06-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Really??????

Worldwide Catholics are less likely to use birth control than non Catholics. In this country you have that and, immigration legal and otherwise from Mexico. With the number of Catholic people in this country( I think the largest denomination) I would have thought the number of students in Catholic colleges would have been higher.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 07:51 AM
We are a very large demographic.

HolyHandgernade
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
06-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I see the disrespectful religion haters are out in full force now.

HolyHandgernade
06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
"Hate" is a very strong word, "mockery" is much more apt here.

-HH

BucEyedPea
06-05-2009, 09:38 AM
That kind of behavior is rooted in hate. You are a hater. Disrespectful of the beliefs of others.

Brock
06-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Maybe that whole "contraception is a sin" thing.

stevieray
06-05-2009, 09:45 AM
That kind of behavior is rooted in hate. You are a hater. Disrespectful of the beliefs of others.
...supposedly he sounds like Kermit the Frog

Saulbadguy
06-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Great news.

blaise
06-05-2009, 09:48 AM

I agree.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I see the disrespectful religion haters are out in full force now.

Hopefully, you're not putting me in that mix... I was just making an obvious observation.

HolyHandgernade
06-05-2009, 10:25 AM

No I'm not! Take it back!

Pitt Gorilla
06-05-2009, 10:39 AM
That kind of behavior is rooted in hate. You are a hater. Disrespectful of the beliefs of others.LMAO

HolyHandgernade
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
...supposedly he sounds like Kermit the Frog

Its not easy, being green....

Jenson71
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
It's good that the Catholic Church in America may be growing. We need to make sure she is growing right, too, though. We need a very strong Church, not a very fat Church. Strong in beliefs and actions, not merely numbers.

Some Catholics believe a resurgence of the Latin Mass (a still fairly small but growing trend) undermines unity in the Church. That should entirely not be the case. There should not be classes of Catholics. I want a resurgence of tradition, and there needs to be some acceptance and charity from both sides.

Adept Havelock
06-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Yeah, Monty Python's Flying Circus was just a pack of haters. LMAO

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
The bread doesn't symbolize Jesus, it is Jesus, it turns into a Snack size Jesus

Jilly
06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Its not easy, being green....

sorry about that.... :(

Jilly
06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
The bread doesn't symbolize Jesus, it is Jesus, it turns into a Snack size Jesus

LMAO

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
It's good that the Catholic Church in America may be growing. We need to make sure she is growing right, too, though. We need a very strong Church, not a very fat Church. Strong in beliefs and actions, not merely numbers.

Some Catholics believe a resurgence of the Latin Mass (a still fairly small but growing trend) undermines unity in the Church. That should entirely not be the case. There should not be classes of Catholics. I want a resurgence of tradition, and there needs to be some acceptance and charity from both sides.

I agree, we need quality not quantity.

"Christianity, Catholicism isn't a collection of prohibitions: it's a positive option," Benedict said. "We've heard so much about what is not allowed that now it's time to say: we have positive ideas to offer."

"As far as abortion is concerned, it's part of the fifth, not the sixth, commandment: 'You shall not kill," the pontiff explained.

"We have to presume this is obvious and always stress that the human person begins in the mother's womb and remains a human person until his or her last breath," he said.

"The human person must always be respected as a human person. But all this is clearer if you say it first in a positive way," Pope Benedict added.

The Pope says abortion is murder. Do you agree with the Pope, Jenson?

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
you can't be catholic and pro choice

oldandslow
06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I agree, we need quality not quantity.

"The human person must always be respected as a human person. But all this is clearer if you say it first in a positive way," Pope Benedict added.[/I]

And the pope also said to say it in a positive way.

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 01:02 PM
And the pope also said to say it in a positive way.

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

Uh yeah, ok professor.

Jenson71
06-05-2009, 01:05 PM

Of course I do. Have I ever given any indication of not being in defense of the right to live? I don't think it's possible to suggest anything like that.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Of course I do. Have I ever given any indication of not being in defense of the right to live? I don't think it's possible to suggest anything like that.

I wasn't suggesting anything, I was asking you a question. How do you reconcile your defense of one's right to live with voting for B.O., a man who is vociferously pro-abortion?

Jenson71
06-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I wasn't suggesting anything, I was asking you a question. How do you reconcile your defense of one's right to live with voting for B.O., a man who is vociferously pro-abortion?

I didn't vote for Barack Obama.

I support some policies and initiatives that Obama also supports and has done. And that is where we come in agreement and he has my vocal support.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I didn't vote for Barack Obama.

I support some policies and initiatives that Obama also supports and has done. And that is where we come in agreement and he has my vocal support.

Interesting.

HolyHandgernade
06-05-2009, 02:24 PM
sorry about that.... :(

I'm an air traffic controller, I've listened to my own voice on tape for quite some time and have been used to it for over 40 years, its no big deal, not to me anyway. In fact, I think its rather humerous that that's what he's been reduced to once reasonable disagreement has failed him.

-HH

Count Zarth
06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Nothing like a little economic crisis to make people give more money to the church.

blaise
06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Nothing like a little economic crisis to make people give more money to the church.

Good, because the Catholic Church feeds a lot of people that can't afford food.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Getting stronger every day. :clap:

http://www.moonbattery.com/religious_affiliations.gif

Chief Henry
06-05-2009, 03:26 PM

Tell that to Iowa Senator Tom Harkin or Nancy Pelosi. You know Nancy Pelosi, she is the lady thats less popular than former VP Dick Cheney.

Chief Henry
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Good, because the Catholic Church feeds a lot of people that can't afford food.

They put shoes and clothes on alot of people too. Heck, in our parish. In the last 10 years we've also gutted two homes and remodeled two homes that two very poor families were living in. I hope we can do something like that every 5 yrs. It takes some money to pay for bills and then save for specific projects like that.

Hydrae
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
The 2009 Official Catholic Directory has released new statistics on the Catholic population. The directory shows that there are 68.1 million Catholics in the United States, an increase of about one million from the previous year which maintains Catholics as 22 percent of the U.S. population.

So they are not really growing, they are holding their own.

BucEyedPea
06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
LMAO

I got pos rep for it too. LMAO Yes, he's a religion hater.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 04:05 PM
So they are not really growing, they are holding their own.

Fair enough. Either way, we'll be around a while.

stevieray
06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm an air traffic controller, I've listened to my own voice on tape for quite some time and have been used to it for over 40 years, its no big deal, not to me anyway. In fact, I think its rather humerous that that's what he's been reduced to once reasonable disagreement has failed him.

-HH

hence the supposedly..only you know for sure..but it appears to have some meriit..

maybe we can get you a smiley? admit it, a kermit smiley would be cool...

Calcountry
06-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Nothing like a little economic crisis to make people give more money to the church.Little, lmao.

Fruit Ninja
06-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I grew up Catholic, but i am more of a Christian style believer. In the end, its all the same god imo. Well for most regular religions. Its just the way you interpret things is a bit different.

In the end, same main guy though. So its all good.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I grew up Catholic, but i am more of a Christian style believer. In the end, its all the same god imo. Well for most regular religions. Its just the way you interpret things is a bit different.

In the end, same main guy though. So its all good.

Peace be with you.

Count Zarth
06-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Weeds grow, too.

HolyHandgernade
06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
hence the supposedly..only you know for sure..but it appears to have some meriit..

maybe we can get you a smiley? admit it, a kermit smiley would be cool...

Sure, knock youself out.

irishjayhawk
06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Weeds grow, too.

LMAO

Never thought about it that way.

irishjayhawk
06-05-2009, 05:51 PM

I guess you would be a hater of communism then. Disrespectful of the beliefs of others.

***SPRAYER
06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrKzfYl3hgI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrKzfYl3hgI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

blaise
06-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Weeds grow, too.

You couldn't get laid by a Catholic priest from what I've read on this board.

stevieray
06-05-2009, 06:16 PM

ouch.

JohnnyV13
06-05-2009, 07:25 PM

There are many catholics who just don't agree with the Pope on this one. I am a "bad" catholic that thinks this theology is stupid.

Pope John Paul 2 also claimed that using birth control actually INCREASES abortion because it undermines "respect for life". Yet, oddly enough, he doesn't have objective sociological studies to back up this claim (which didn't stop him in any way from proclaiming it religious truth).

I also think "masturbation is a sin" is a ridiculous doctrine.The church likes to claim that we can look to "the nature of things" to learn theological truth. In this case, the church rather conveniently ignores the fact that men who do not ejaculate on a regular basis, increase their risk of testicular cancer. If a man is not married, this church seems to think that testicular cancer is concurrent with faith.

The bottom line is there are many "cafeteria" catholics out there. In fact, I think the "cafeteria" variety are actually the majority. (How else can you explain that Obama won 54% of catholic voters?)

Dr. Van Halen
06-05-2009, 07:47 PM

You can't be Catholic and pro-war?

You can't be Catholic and pro-death penalty?

You can't be Catholic and pro-masturbation?

When did abortion become the lone litmus test for Catholicism?

Count Zarth
06-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Nah, I could. I have a real purty mouth. Or so I've been told.

***SPRAYER
06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.destroyfreemasonry.com/st-michael3-destroy-freemasonry-link.jpg

BucEyedPea
06-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, Monty Python's Flying Circus was just a pack of haters. LMAO

It had nothing to do with just that video alone or Monty Python. It had to do with using it in this thread to mock the thread subject which wasn't a religion debate. And that type of thing came from the same dude who's only posts are on religion in general. Generally anti-religion. It was rude, ill mannered and disrespectful ( snide) or mocking if you prefer even if covered up with humor. So in general it shows he's a hater. The road to contention is paved with such intolerance.

Get a clue.

RedNeckRaider
06-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I do not have any data to back this up. But I do think the growing Hispanic population has something to do with the growth. Several of them or at least the ones I have been around attend Catholic churches

HonestChieffan
06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
From what I have seen locally and talking to others all our churches seem to be seeing increased attendence.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I do not have any data to back this up. But I do think the growing Hispanic population has something to do with the growth. Several of them or at least the ones I have been around attend Catholic churches

Good point. They are overwhelmingly Catholic. Big in Latin America.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2009, 09:39 AM
From what I have seen locally and talking to others all our churches seem to be seeing increased attendence.

I read at least 5 years ago that it was the fundamentalist religions undergoing the fastest growth. Don't ask me where I saw that but that's what I read once. Just passing it on as data.

Brock
06-07-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.destroyfreemasonry.com/st-michael3-destroy-freemasonry-link.jpg

That brings up a good point. With all of the lies that the Catholic church propogates about masonry, I don't feel too bad about it when people propogate lies and ridicule toward the church.

HonestChieffan
06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I read at least 5 years ago that it was the fundamentalist religions undergoing the fastest growth. Don't ask me where I saw that but that's what I read once. Just passing it on as data.

I dont have data just what i've heard locally. Our Methodist church attendence is up over 30% but I attribute a lot of that to a really excellent pastor. The Catholic church next door had a big growth when the new church was finished.

NewChief
06-07-2009, 12:39 PM
May have already been brought up, but are there any statistics on how much of the growth in the US could be attributed to Hispanic immigrants?

irishjayhawk
06-07-2009, 01:05 PM
May have already been brought up, but are there any statistics on how much of the growth in the US could be attributed to Hispanic immigrants?

Well, I read 5 years ago that Hispanic immigrants were the cause of all evil. Just passing it on as data.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, I read 5 years ago that Hispanic immigrants were the cause of all evil. Just passing it on as data.

If it's any consolation, Catholics tend to be religious left more than right.

NewChief
06-07-2009, 01:29 PM

It would be ironic if that were the case, since the OP is proclaiming the "good news" while simultaneously decrying its cause.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
It would be ironic if that were the case, since the OP is proclaiming the "good news" while simultaneously decrying its cause.

I read it was growing ww ( in poorer countries). Not so much in Europe. People who get nekkid on beaches don't like the modesty requirements.

Discuss Thrower
06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
That brings up a good point. With all of the lies that the Catholic church propogates about masonry, I don't feel too bad about it when people propogate lies and ridicule toward the church.

Yup, agreed.

***SPRAYER
06-07-2009, 05:16 PM

You hate them, don't you.

LMAO