PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Waters-Vrabel Are In … Mini-Camp Update 6/5 AM

Tribal Warfare
06-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Waters-Vrabel Are In … Mini-Camp Update 6/5 AM (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/mini-camp-update-65-am.html)
June 5, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

Both Brian Waters and Mike Vrabel were on the field Friday morning for the first of five mini-camp practices.

It was the first time the veteran guard and linebacker took part in any of the team’s off-season work.

While they were there, they certainly were not busy. Waters ran with the third team offensive line, while Vrabel worked with the second team defense. It’s safe to say their participation was limited.

The Chiefs had 84 of their 85 players on the field, missing only rookie CB Donald Washington, who by NFL rule cannot practice until Ohio State’s spring term is completed next week.

Four players did not take part because of injury: QB Brodie Croyle, RB Kolby Smith, DE Glenn Dorsey and DT Ron Edwards.

Some observations from the practice session:

– The No. 1 base defense lined up with Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee at DE, Tank Tyler at NT, with Monty Beisel and Tamba Hali at OLB and Derrick Johnson and Zach Thomas at ILB. At CB were Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr, with Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard playing at safety.

– The No. 2 base defense was Alfonso Boone and Bobby Greenwood at DE, Derek Lokey at NT, with Vrabel and Turk McBride at OLB and Corey Mays and Demorrio Williams as the ILB. At CB were Travis Daniels and Maurice Leggett with Jon McGraw and DaJuan Morgan at safety.

– The Chiefs spent a lot of time on the punting team during the practice. The No. 1 punt squad had McGraw as the personal protector, CB Ricardo Colclough and WR Terrance Copper as the outside gunners and across the wall in the front were Pollard, OLB Andy Studebaker, Derrick Johnson, Thomas Gafford on the snap, Beisel, Smith and LB Wes Dacus.

– The offense and defense did some pass rush-pass protection snaps. The No. 1 pick got schooled by veteran guard Mike Goff on his first two pass rushes, but he later had some success against Tavares Washington and Colin Brown. LT Branden Albert stoned rookie OLB Pierre Walters twice. C Eric Ghiaciuc did a good job on Lokey in back-to-back snaps. Magee looked good going against rookie guard Darryl Harris.

– The team ran 12 plays of team work. The best play was probably QB Matt Cassel hitting a nice throw to WR Dwayne Bowe on one of his plays.

– QB Tyler Thigpen had a good throw on the sideline to WR Jeff Webb, who did a good job of catching the ball and turning up field.

– Rookie LB Jovan Belcher had a nice pass drop and knocked down a pass thrown by QB Ingle Martin.

– Rookie WR Quentin Lawrence had one of Martin’s throws in his hands and not only dropped the ball, but it was almost intercepted.

– A draw play for Larry Johnson got stuffed behind the line of scrimmage, but he broke out on another run wide to the left side and flashed speed and power.

– RB Jamaal Charles has a nice run after a screen pass from Thigpen.

– On the last play of the session, Cassel got chased out of the pocket as good coverage tied up the deep receivers. He dumped the ball off to TE Brad Cottam.

kcchiefsus
06-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I realize change is necessary and this is a work in progress but IMO this defense looks pretty ugly for the time being. We definitely have some work to do at linebacker.

Detoxing
06-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure what to think about the rookie vs Goff instance

Fruit Ninja
06-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I would love to see how Tamba is working out at OLB lol. Did he lose alot of weight and what not? Hopefully he can gain some speed with a loss in weight. He was to small to play the run anyways in a 4-3.

DaWolf
06-05-2009, 05:00 PM

I don't think it means much aside from a veteran schooling a rookie. I'd be worried if it was the other way around because that would pretty much indicate Goff was done.

Tyson Jackson is going to struggle a bit this year, as most rookie linemen do. Hopefully he'll grow as the year goes on. The sooner dude puts pen to paper on his contract and gets in camp, the better he will be. Hopefully his agent isn't a dumbass...

SNR
06-05-2009, 05:09 PM
SUPER BOWL OR BUST

nychief
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
where is Glen Dorsey?

TRR
06-05-2009, 05:16 PM
where is Glen Dorsey?

From what I have heard, Dorsey has had a problem with a lower leg injury since his senior season in college. I think the Chiefs are taking time with him to make sure he is set once training camp rolls around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Detox, I forgot all about that phrase in your signature... I remember when I came up with that!

:clap:

Rep for going old school

rambleonthruthefog
06-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I realize change is necessary and this is a work in progress but IMO this defense looks pretty ugly for the time being. We definitely have some work to do at linebacker.

the secondary should be ok, but that front 7 looks pretty rough

Hydrae
06-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Rookie LB Jovan Belcher had a nice pass drop and knocked down a pass thrown by QB Ingle Martin.

I forgot we had Dingleberry. ;)