View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with MATT CASSEL - 6/6

Mr. Arrowhead
06-06-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/06/06/qa_with_matt_cassel__66/

Q&A with MATT CASSEL - 6/6
Jun 06, 2009, 2:54:13 PM

MINI-CAMP

Q: Howís it going?

CASSEL: ďItís going well. Weíre out there on the field playing football and weíre trying to get better each and every day. Weíve got the whole team out here in attendance. So, itís good to see everybody back. Itís good to have (LB) (Mike) Vrabel here and (G) Brian Waters. And itís good. Weíre building chemistry, weíre building rapport. And, everybodyís working hard and thatís the main thing you want to see.Ē

Q: Coach Haley said the other day that you guys have lost 300-something pounds.

CASSEL: ďHe reminds of us that constantly.Ē

Q: What do you see as a player with guys that have shed pounds and are learning the system. Is it starting to work like a well-oiled machine, yet?

CASSEL: ďI think so. Weíve had great attendance this whole off-season, especially during the workout program. Guys have taken great pride in getting after their workout, being there each and every day, giving 110 percent, doing their running and itís paid off. Weíre losing weight, weíre getting faster, weíre getting in shape and itís just given us a better opportunity to do our job when we get out there on the field.Ē

Q: Is this starting to feel like your team? Do you start to feel like youíre the captain of this thing out there?

CASSEL: ďSlowly but surely. Like anything, everythingís new to me. Itís a new environment. Itís new teammates. Iím getting to know the receivers, getting to know my linemen and my running backs and weíre progressing. Thereís no doubt about that. Weíre getting better each and every practice Iím out there and itís a new playbook as well for me. So, Iím sharpening up my reads each and every day, Iím working hard and thatís all I can do. I can go out and do what I can do, control what I can control and try to perform out there every day I get an opportunity to.Ē

Q: What kind of things are you looking for out there from the guys that may be signaling to you that you have their trust?

CASSEL: ďEach and every day you just go out there and you try to build on stuff. Whether itís working on a route, whether itís a certain play, whether itís a concept you want to see. Itís just building that rapport. Thatís something that comes with time. Thatís all it is. Itís repetition and time. So, the more that we can do that and the more reps that we can get during this time of year itíll help us once we go into the season.Ē

Q: Coach hasnít officially named his starter yet. Does that matter to you?

CASSEL: ďNot at all. Itís one of those things. I welcome competition. Iíve been at competition my entire career. Iíve had to fight for everything that Iíve ever had to achieve or get and I donít expect anybody to hand me anything now. So, I go in there with open arms to competition anytime and itíll make me better.Ē

Q: Do you expect to be the starter?

CASSEL: ďI do. I go out there each and every day with that focus that Iím the starter. And like I said, competition brings out the best in everybody. There are other quarterbacks here and theyíre competing as well and they should. They should come at me as hard as they can and I should come at them and thatís going to make us all better.Ē

Q: Coach said you were drawing up some things. When the season starts will you have some say when it comes to play selection?

CASSEL: ďWeíll see how it goes. Iíve been in a great system for the last few years. Obviously, when youíve been in a system for so long youíre comfortable with certain things and youíre very familiar with certain routes. So, some of those things I would love to get implemented and be able to put into the offense and kind of know where Iím going with the ball. So, if we can do that in some way, obviously you modify it to a certain degree but for the most part youíre going to stick with what (offensive coordinator) Chanís (Gailey) calling in the playbook and weíre going to go from there.Ē

Q: If it were completely up to you, would you want to have a long-term contract done before the year?

CASSEL: ďThereís no doubt. You always love the fact that you have some stability and this, to me, isnít a one-year deal. I want to come here and I want to build this team and work toward the common goal of getting better and making playoffs and winning championships. Thatís what we strive to do in this. Iím looking about going out there and competing to the best of my ability but I think the fact of the matter is all that stuff all takes care of itself once itís said and done.Ē

Q: Since you have the franchise tag for this one year, do you go into it with the franchise tag and feel like itís a tryout at all?

CASSEL: ďNo, itís one of those things where if I go into the year with just the franchise tag, I do. Iíve proven that I can play and Iíve proven that I can win and so I just want to try to continue to do that here. Weíve got a long way to go, but weíre working and doing the right things right now, this time of year.Ē

Q: Do you expect it will get worked out between now and when the season starts?

CASSEL: ďYou know, I hope so and whether or not it does, I donít really know. I really try to remove myself from it. With all honesty, I really do because I believe that itís a distraction to me. Theyíve got guys upstairs that are working on it and Iíve got an agent for a reason and I let them do that so I can concentrate on the football side because thatís what I do. I play football, I donít do contracts.Ē

Q: Would it be helpful if you did get it done? Do you think that would be a relaxing thing for you?

CASSEL: ďLike I said, anytime you can have stability, of course. Itís great for any player to know that. But, at the same time, itís not going to change my work ethic. Itís not going to change how I go out and approach each and every day. Itís me, Iím going to go out and give you 100 percent whether Iím on my first rookie-year salary or Iím on a six-year deal or a 10-year deal. It doesnít really matter.Ē

Q: From that competition aspect, when you have competed in the past, itís probably safe to say that this is your best shot to win the job.

CASSEL: ďAre you kidding me? Against Brady last year? They totally gave me a shot. They were like Ďit was me - Brady,í juggling it (laughs).Ē

Q: Do you feel different because you are maybe the favorite?

CASSEL: ďItís great because you get an opportunity to go out there and get the first- team reps and really get to start building that relationship with the receivers. I think any time youíre a backup quarterback and have to step into that role, it took me a little time last year to get on the same page with those guys because you just donít get those reps. But right now, this time of year, like I said, itís so valuable to be out there and be with the ones and be able to get those reps and see the defense and go against the number one defense because theyíre doing a great job out there and theyíre getting a lot better, as well.Ē

twitterQ: A lot of people nationally and locally and the fans wonder how much of your success was the system they ran up there and the receivers. Can you replicate it here?

CASSEL: ďThereís no doubt they have a great system and they have some great players in place. I think any time you look around the league and you look at some of the guys that have the best stats, whether itís Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning, they have an outstanding supporting cast. If you take away Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin and these guys, well, they can have the same thing. You know what I mean? So itís really interesting to me that like, ĎCan you replicate it?í Well, weíve got some guys here that can play. So, thereís no doubt about that. Weíre working for success and thatís what we do. I canít tell you what the future holds but I can tell you weíve got some good players here that can definitely go up and step up and make big-time plays and I know that I can play and if you turn on the film last year and watch any of those games, you know that itís not just those guys making plays and me. Iím going through my reads. Iím making the throws and Iím doing what I need to do to have success.Ē

Q: (Head coach) Todd (Haley) mentioned youíre a gym rat, for lack of a better term, that youíre so engaged off the field. Is that something that was a learned trait or is it something you picked up throughout your career?

CASSEL: ďIíve had an opportunity to really learn behind one of the best, which is Tom (Brady). I credit a lot of my work ethic and what I do off the field to what heís been able to teach me and really how to be a professional. Heís a professional in every sense of the word. I was lucky enough, like I said, to kind of learn the work ethic, how to be a professional, how to study and do those things that I need to do to make myself the best on Sundays. But, at the same time, Iíve always had a work ethic of the utmost. I love to go out, I love to be in the gym, I love to work out and that just carries over.Ē

Q: Aside from that, you got stuck behind some great quarterbacks in college. You got stuck behind a great quarterback in New England. What did you learn from that experience that you can apply now to this opportunity?

CASSEL: ďItís one of those things, you get toughened up by everything that goes on, overcoming a lot of adversity. You know what I mean? Thereís going to be adversity that comes up during the season whether we lose a game or whether itís a tough play or an interception or something like that. You just always have to be able to overcome it and be mentally tough. I think throughout the years you continue to be mentally tough and you continue to push through and know that there is a bright spot at the end of the tunnel.Ē

Q: Your locker is next to (LB) Mike Vrabel. You guys have a good relationship. Can you talk about what type of guy he is, what you think he might do in this locker room?

CASSEL: ďOh, Mikeís one of the best. Iíve got a lot of respect for him, obviously, as a player. But, not only that, heís a great leader, heís a great friend. Itís great to have him here and heís got a presence about himself and not only that, but a lot of people donít understand how smart Mike is. He brings a lot to the table in terms of going out and being able to run the defense, get you in the right calls and do that. So, Iím really excited to see him out here and the banter is definitely starting to pick up because Mike can talk. In practice, games, you name it, you know Mike Vrabel is on the field, thatís for sure.Ē

Q: Youíve been here a lot in the off-season. Do you plan to make Kansas City your home or is that dependent on a long-term contract?

CASSEL: ďMy wife and I are settled here. I love Kansas City, the people have been wonderful. A lot of people were telling me itís a real small town and I was like, ĎI donít know what youíre talking about. Theyíve got great places to eat and everything,í so itís been great.Ē

DaFace
06-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I do like his attitude. Hopefully his confidence is warranted.

The Bronco Rob
06-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Q: Matt how does it feel to be a starter for the first time in your career since High School?

CASSEL: Feels great! I've got 15 MILLION reasons to feel great! First time for everything!

Q: Are you going to alter your expectations. Instead of throwing passes to prolific wide receivers such as Randy Moss and Wes Welker, you'll be trying to establish chemistry with younger targets Dwayne Bowe and Jeff Webb.

CASSEL: You forgot my best weapon Tony Gonzalez!

Q: He was traded to Atlanta.

CASSEL: Oh...

Q: the scouts said your big games due to Moss and Welker and Belichick.

CASSEL: Well being surrounded by that kind of talent doesn't hurt.

Q: The Sporting News points out that your late-season success came almost exclusively out of the shotgun spread formation and that you were not comfortable under center, often seeming ďrobotic and mechanicalĒ and lacking a feel for the pass rush.

CASSEL: Now I know why I liked being a back up.....

:hmmm:

Pants
06-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Each and every day.

crazycoffey
06-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I do like his attitude. Hopefully his confidence is warranted.

14 million reasons warrent his confidence.....

Raised On Riots
06-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Each and every day.

LMAO

That's "good".

How goes it? "Good".

How ya' feelin'? "Good".

How's the Gatorade? "Good".

RufusRJones
06-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Theyíve got great places to eat and everything

Clearly, he's capable of standing on the shoulders of giants...at least if you consider Steve Bono a giant.

I wonder if he was actually aware of Bono's comments about KC's restaurants.

Raised On Riots
06-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Clearly, he's capable of standing on the shoulders of giants...at least if you consider Steve Bono a giant.

Rufus! How dare you, Sir!LMAO

chiefzilla1501
06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I think I once saw him do an interview on Family Guy:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.clipser.com/Play?vid=209982"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.clipser.com/Play?vid=209982" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Raised On Riots
06-06-2009, 08:14 PM
ROFL

SNR
06-06-2009, 08:44 PM
This interview reminds me of one of my favorite passages from Catch-22, with one of the names replaced:

He was as good at ping pong as he was at making friends, and he was as good at making friends as he was at everything else. He was amiable, dressed sharply, and could always brighten up a room. Everyone who knew him loved him, and he loved them, too.

"I hate that son of a bitch," growled Thigpen.

stevieray
06-06-2009, 09:01 PM

love the screen name..rufus was AWESOME!

Fish
06-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I lose a little confidence every time I hear Cassel interview.....

Raised On Riots
06-06-2009, 09:51 PM
I lose a little confidence every time I hear Cassel interview.....

I'm sure he's given a very specific set of guidelines in terms of what he can and can not say.

BarrySPAMAID
06-06-2009, 11:33 PM
I think he is a good listener, and a good communicator. I'm really excited about watching this kid play this summer. I cant freaking WAIT for Training camp.

Fish
06-06-2009, 11:53 PM
I think I once saw him do an interview on Family Guy:
<object width="425" height="355">

<embed src="http://www.clipser.com/Play?vid=209982" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></object>

This is absolute spot on Casseltalk...

The Bronco Rob
06-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Q: Matt how does it feel to be a starter for the first time in your career since High School?

CASSEL: Feels great! I've got 15 MILLION reasons to feel great! First time for everything!

Q: Are you going to alter your expectations. Instead of throwing passes to prolific wide receivers such as Randy Moss and Wes Welker, you'll be trying to establish chemistry with younger targets Dwayne Bowe and Jeff Webb.

CASSEL: You forgot my best weapon Tony Gonzalez!

Q: He was traded to Atlanta.

CASSEL: Oh...

Q: the scouts said your big games due to Moss and Welker and Belichick.

CASSEL: Well being surrounded by that kind of talent doesn't hurt.

Q: The Sporting News points out that your late-season success came almost exclusively out of the shotgun spread formation and that you were not comfortable under center, often seeming ďrobotic and mechanicalĒ and lacking a feel for the pass rush.

CASSEL: Now I know why I liked being a back up.....

:hmmm: