PDA

View Full Version : Obama Anyone catch Inside the Obama White House?

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30892505/

I caught most of the second half and thought it was pretty interesting. The dog bit could have been cut, but it was interesting to watch the West Wing in action (as much as we could see).

Sully
06-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I love that inside workings of the white house stuff, and it seems like there has been tons of shows like that lately. Nat geo had a few on air force and marine one, history had a tour through the WH with the Bushes. Very interesting stuff.

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2009, 09:57 PM
I think NBC has done these for a while.

Garcia Bronco
06-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Go to DC and go on a tour of the White House if they still allow that. It's pretty cool. But you don't really get to go upstairs.

BigRedChief
06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I think NBC has done these for a while.
Every President since Truman.

Pretty interesting stuff. Bunch of 20 somethings as staffers? Wonder if its been that way all the time because they can tolerate the 16 hour days better?

blaise
06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Every President since Truman.

Pretty interesting stuff. Bunch of 20 somethings as staffers? Wonder if its been that way all the time because they can tolerate the 16 hour days better?

When I lived in DC some friends of my wife had jobs in Clinton's White House. Their job was to go through like 4 or 5 papers every morning. Like the NY Times, Wash Post and a few others and clip certain articles (I don't know what the criteria was, world news, national news) and put them in a sort of binder so Clinton could go through them all without looking at the rest of the papers. They had to be there at some early hour, the newspapers must have made some kind of special delivery I guess. The people we knew were in their 20's, they were both law students, and from what they said they barely got paid.
Obviously they were not very important staff- basically part time, and if you were to call them Staffers, it would be misleading, but I wonder if people that work in the White House often times don't really make that much money. If you're bright enough to get some of those White House jobs, by the time you're in your 30's you're probably making good coin doing something else.

Jenson71
06-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Go to DC and go on a tour of the White House if they still allow that. It's pretty cool. But you don't really get to go upstairs.

I don't think it is allowed anymore.

Jenson71
06-07-2009, 06:50 PM
When I lived in DC some friends of my wife had jobs in Clinton's White House. Their job was to go through like 4 or 5 papers every morning. Like the NY Times, Wash Post and a few others and clip certain articles (I don't know what the criteria was, world news, national news) and put them in a sort of binder so Clinton could go through them all without looking at the rest of the papers. They had to be there at some early hour, the newspapers must have made some kind of special delivery I guess. The people we knew were in their 20's, they were both law students, and from what they said they barely got paid.
Obviously they were not very important staff- basically part time, and if you were to call them Staffers, it would be misleading, but I wonder if people that work in the White House often times don't really make that much money. If you're bright enough to get some of those White House jobs, by the time you're in your 30's you're probably making good coin doing something else.

Sounds like a great career builder. The law clerks for judges don't make much either. But afterwards they get teaching positions and firms calling.

Pitt Gorilla
06-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't think it is allowed anymore.I'm pretty sure they do still have tours.

BigRedChief
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm pretty sure they do still have tours.
After 9/11 they stopped until Obama resumed them. But you have to be in a group and approved by your congressman and checked out before you are allowed on the tour.

It's also expensive and covers the downstairs only. No lincoln bedroom tours.

stevieray
06-08-2009, 09:37 AM
After 9/11 they stopped until Obama resumed them. But you have to be in a group and approved by your congressman and checked out before you are allowed on the tour.

It's also expensive and covers the downstairs only. No lincoln bedroom tours. My daughter and MIL took the tour two years ago.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm going in the Fall. I'll be wearing my Gadsen Flag outfit. In a mother and daughter version.

wild1
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
teleprompters mounted on every surface?