PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb:Cassel starts to take charge as Chiefs quarterback

Tribal Warfare
06-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Cassel starts to take charge as Chiefs quarterback (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/football/story/1237712.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Matt Cassel made a mistake Saturday morning, and Chiefs coach Todd Haley wouldn’t let him forget it.

Haley said last week that he had nothing but good things to say about Cassel, the Chiefs’ 27-year-old quarterback, and when Haley issued a verbal jab to the passer Saturday, the coach did it with a smile.

“He had a little blip today,” Haley said. “He threw one to the other color jersey, and the guy went the other way.”

Cassel hasn’t made many mistakes in his first months on the job. Minimizing interceptions in practices is one thing, but playing politics in a community starved for a franchise quarterback and proud of its local flavor is more complicated.

Someone asked Cassel on Saturday if he was ready to align himself with a favorite barbecue joint, a thorny question considering the pride many Kansas Citians attach to their favorite spots. Cassel has been here for three months, but he has learned enough already to take the high road on some topics, one mystery about him that remains unsolved.

There are two more mysteries surrounding Cassel, but at least this one has a predictable ending: Will he be the Chiefs’ opening-day starter? Haley insists that every position remains open, and despite that 2008 starter Tyler Thigpen has all but conceded the job to Cassel, Haley is maintaining the suspense.

The coach said Saturday that there’s no rush to pick a starter, even if the Chiefs traded a second-round draft pick in March for Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel, and Cassel — who has been the first-team passer in practices for weeks — now stands to make nearly $15 million under his one-year contract.

Which compels the complicated question: Can Cassel and the Chiefs agree on a long-term deal before the season? Cassel’s current deal is the one he signed after New England designated him the team’s franchise player.

Reports have circulated that Cassel and the Chiefs have been close to a multiyear deal, but nothing has been finalized. Cassel said Saturday that he has made up his mind on how he’d like to see that mystery end.

“This to me isn’t a one-year deal,” he said, adding that he hopes the sides agree on a long-term deal. “I want to build this team and work toward the common goal of getting better, making the playoffs and winning a championship.

“Whether or not it does (get worked out), I don’t really know. I really try to remove myself from it, with all honesty. … It’s not going to change my work ethic. It’s not going to change how I go out and approach every single day. Whether I’m on my rookie salary or I’m on a six-year deal or a 10-year deal, it doesn’t really matter.”

It was a smart play for Cassel, who seems to have this politics thing down. On Saturday, he poked fun at himself and how he compares with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, tweaked Haley for continually reminding players how much weight — 338 pounds, according to the coach — the Chiefs have lost this offseason, and endorsed Kansas City’s eclectic variety of dining options. Not bad for a 10-minute stump speech.

Cassel might be good with words, but the Chiefs brought him here so his arm could do the talking. That might not always be easy.

He won’t have the receivers and offensive line that the Patriots’ offense possessed last season, when Cassel passed for 21 touchdowns but had 11 of those “blips” to the guys in other jerseys. He’ll have to be precise and confident to make it in Kansas City, where the receivers are unproven and the line could be a weakness. Cassel said he’s ready for the tests he’ll face this fall.

“I’ve proven that I can play,” he said, “and I’ve proven that I can win. I just want to try to continue to do that here. We’ve got a long way to go, but we’re doing the right things right now.”

Haley has noticed. He said Cassel has emerged as a leader in position drills, has been a steady and dependable player throughout the offseason, and — well, does he ever turn it off?

“It’s hard to outwork this guy,” Haley said. “When he’s done working out, he’s upstairs bugging us. He’s making drawings, coming up with ideas, wanting to talk football, all the time on top of working out real hard.

“Football is clearly first for this guy.”

Cassel said the Chiefs are “slowly but surely” beginning to feel like his team. There is work left to be done, but Cassel keeps facing obstacles and keeps crossing them. That’s why Saturday’s mistake in practice wasn’t cause for concern. Haley chuckled, and the defensive backs celebrated. They don’t get many trophies while Cassel is back there.

Cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Maurice Leggett were joking in the locker room after practice, and Carr gave Leggett the nickname “Super Nickel” because Leggett, a second-year nickel back, was the one who intercepted Cassel. Then Leggett picked off Cassel again in the afternoon session. Carr knows his defensive mate did a difficult thing — twice.

“He is a true NFL quarterback,” Carr said of Cassel. “He knows where to put the ball. You may get a good break on the receiver, but the ball is just that fingertip away.”

Carr kept laughing with Leggett, who was displaying an odd mix of pride and embarrassment. Leggett didn’t care for his nickname, but he realized that interceptions might be rarer now than they once were among Chiefs quarterbacks. They’re more valuable, too.

“Hey,” Carr told the shrugging Leggett, “I’m just trying to get a pick like you.”

Coogs
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Not a whole lot different than the Cassel Q&A, but I thought there was a gem or two at the end from Carr and Leggett...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1237712.html

Cassel starts to take charge as Chiefs quarterback
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

DAVID EULITT
Quarterback Matt Cassel has impressed the Chiefs with his work ethic and his play so far on the field during practice.

Haley said last week that he had nothing but good things to say about Cassel, the Chiefs’ 27-year-old quarterback, and when Haley issued a verbal jab to the passer Saturday, the coach did it with a smile.

“He had a little blip today,” Haley said. “He threw one to the other color jersey, and the guy went the other way.”

Cassel hasn’t made many mistakes in his first months on the job. Minimizing interceptions in practices is one thing, but playing politics in a community starved for a franchise quarterback and proud of its local flavor is more complicated.

Someone asked Cassel on Saturday if he was ready to align himself with a favorite barbecue joint, a thorny question considering the pride many Kansas Citians attach to their favorite spots. Cassel has been here for three months, but he has learned enough already to take the high road on some topics, one mystery about him that remains unsolved.

There are two more mysteries surrounding Cassel, but at least this one has a predictable ending: Will he be the Chiefs’ opening-day starter? Haley insists that every position remains open, and despite that 2008 starter Tyler Thigpen has all but conceded the job to Cassel, Haley is maintaining the suspense.

The coach said Saturday that there’s no rush to pick a starter, even if the Chiefs traded a second-round draft pick in March for Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel, and Cassel — who has been the first-team passer in practices for weeks — now stands to make nearly $15 million under his one-year contract.

Which compels the complicated question: Can Cassel and the Chiefs agree on a long-term deal before the season? Cassel’s current deal is the one he signed after New England designated him the team’s franchise player.

Reports have circulated that Cassel and the Chiefs have been close to a multiyear deal, but nothing has been finalized. Cassel said Saturday that he has made up his mind on how he’d like to see that mystery end.

“This to me isn’t a one-year deal,” he said, adding that he hopes the sides agree on a long-term deal. “I want to build this team and work toward the common goal of getting better, making the playoffs and winning a championship.

“Whether or not it does (get worked out), I don’t really know. I really try to remove myself from it, with all honesty. … It’s not going to change my work ethic. It’s not going to change how I go out and approach every single day. Whether I’m on my rookie salary or I’m on a six-year deal or a 10-year deal, it doesn’t really matter.”

It was a smart play for Cassel, who seems to have this politics thing down. On Saturday, he poked fun at himself and how he compares with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, tweaked Haley for continually reminding players how much weight — 338 pounds, according to the coach — the Chiefs have lost this offseason, and endorsed Kansas City’s eclectic variety of dining options. Not bad for a 10-minute stump speech.

Cassel might be good with words, but the Chiefs brought him here so his arm could do the talking. That might not always be easy.

He won’t have the receivers and offensive line that the Patriots’ offense possessed last season, when Cassel passed for 21 touchdowns but had 11 of those “blips” to the guys in other jerseys. He’ll have to be precise and confident to make it in Kansas City, where the receivers are unproven and the line could be a weakness. Cassel said he’s ready for the tests he’ll face this fall.

“I’ve proven that I can play,” he said, “and I’ve proven that I can win. I just want to try to continue to do that here. We’ve got a long way to go, but we’re doing the right things right now.”

Haley has noticed. He said Cassel has emerged as a leader in position drills, has been a steady and dependable player throughout the offseason, and — well, does he ever turn it off?

“It’s hard to outwork this guy,” Haley said. “When he’s done working out, he’s upstairs bugging us. He’s making drawings, coming up with ideas, wanting to talk football, all the time on top of working out real hard.

Cassel said the Chiefs are “slowly but surely” beginning to feel like his team. There is work left to be done, but Cassel keeps facing obstacles and keeps crossing them. That’s why Saturday’s mistake in practice wasn’t cause for concern. Haley chuckled, and the defensive backs celebrated. They don’t get many trophies while Cassel is back there.

Cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Maurice Leggett were joking in the locker room after practice, and Carr gave Leggett the nickname “Super Nickel” because Leggett, a second-year nickel back, was the one who intercepted Cassel. Then Leggett picked off Cassel again in the afternoon session. Carr knows his defensive mate did a difficult thing — twice.

“He is a true NFL quarterback,” Carr said of Cassel. “He knows where to put the ball. You may get a good break on the receiver, but the ball is just that fingertip away.”

Carr kept laughing with Leggett, who was displaying an odd mix of pride and embarrassment. Leggett didn’t care for his nickname, but he realized that interceptions might be rarer now than they once were among Chiefs quarterbacks. They’re more valuable, too.

“Hey,” Carr told the shrugging Leggett, “I’m just trying to get a pick like you.”

The Bronco Rob
06-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Quarterback Matt Cassel has impressed the Chiefs with his work ethic and his play so far on the field during practice.

The coach said Saturday that there’s no rush to pick a starter, even if the Chiefs traded a second-round draft pick in March for Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel, and Cassel — who has been the first-team passer in practices for weeks — now stands to make nearly $15 million under his one-year contract. ala Elvis Grbac

:thumb:

WhitiE
06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
i didnt read that last line right the first time i had to reread it....

Mr. Krab
06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks like Cassel has all the intangibles, we'll see if he can pull a Montana and get this offense to overachieve.

wild1
06-07-2009, 01:24 PM
This guy sucks, Sanchez would have them all turning gatorade into wine on the sidelines... I read it here...

Inspector
06-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Things frequently sound really good about this time of the year.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Sounds they are becoming a TEAM and are getting on the same page for a change.

The Bronco Rob
06-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Looks like Cassel has all the intangibles, we'll see if he can pull a Montana and get this offense to overachieve.

Uh.....Marcus Allen had more Touchdowns than montana and was the teams MVP...

montana only started 11 games..

Nice try though.....

:doh!:

milkman
06-07-2009, 02:05 PM
This guy sucks, Sanchez would have them all turning gatorade into wine on the sidelines... I read it here...

Is it really necessary to stir the shit?

Brock
06-07-2009, 02:08 PM

No shit. It's the same thing every year. Let the 10-6 predictions begin.

Mr. Krab
06-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Is it really necessary to stir the shit?Irony

Kyle DeLexus
06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
No shit. It's the same thing every year. Let the 10-6 predictions begin.

5 wins

Coogs
06-07-2009, 02:31 PM

I guess I like hearing our defensive backs say we have "a true NFL QB" this season.

milkman
06-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Irony

I'm not seeing it.

Tribal Warfare
06-07-2009, 02:43 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208683

repost

Coogs
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM

repost

Whoops! Sorry TW. Didn't see it on the front page, and the time on the bottom of page 1 was around mid-night so I didn't bother to go to page 2.

My bad!

Brock
06-07-2009, 02:50 PM

repost

Zero replies.

wild1
06-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Is it really necessary to stir the shit?

well this IS the internet

The Bronco Rob
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
well this IS the internet

:thumb: