PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs have to hope this new LJ is genuine

Tribal Warfare
06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Chiefs have to hope this new LJ is genuine (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1237773.html)

Amid all the drama and intrigue, most of which ended with a whimper Friday when left guard Brian Waters and linebacker Mike Vrabel arrived at Chiefs minicamp, a player who seems attracted toward drama has kept the spotlight off him this offseason.

Larry Johnson has been quiet. He’s been well-behaved. He has been almost invisible.

So, what’s the problem?

This isn’t a complaint. No, it’s another indication that the Chiefs are making things right after last year’s implosion. Kansas City won two games, Johnson was arrested twice, and the former Pro Bowl running back was phased out of the offense in favor of the spread. Johnson wasn’t happy. That hasn’t been all that unusual since LJ arrived in Kansas City six years ago, and neither have Johnson’s requests to be sent elsewhere. He told reporters after the Chiefs’ final game last year, and again told a radio station in February, that he wanted out of Kansas City.

Then that changed, and word crept through LJ’s agent that he kind of, sort of, actually might want to hang around Kansas City to see what happened with the new regime.

We all knew that LJ would have to be on his best behavior to stick with the Chiefs when they’re burying the messy reminders of the past. Johnson was a burden last year — and a loud burden at that. But one thing has been noticeable about Johnson during offseason practices and this weekend’s minicamp: He hasn’t been noticeable. Other than the red socks pulled high, a Johnson trademark, the running back has blended into the background of Chiefs practices. He’s not telling loud jokes like he was at training camp last year. He’s not complaining about playing time or how a teammate or coach looked at him in the hallway. Nothing.

Johnson used to hide during the media’s allotted time in the locker room, in a training room or far-off corridor until the hour was up and he could get back to whatever it is he does. Now, Johnson strolls in, does his thing and walks back out. He chats with teammates and goes about his business peacefully. Heck, he even hugged a female television reporter on Saturday!

Maybe Johnson is relishing that, for once, he’s not the focus of all the drama. Maybe he likes it and wants to keep it that way. Or maybe it has finally sunk in that he’s on his last chance in Kansas City, and he’s not doing anything to sour his reputation with a new coach and new general manager.

Maybe Larry Johnson has finally grown up. More than anybody would like to admit, Johnson and the Chiefs need each other. But the Chiefs need him only if this new LJ is the one they get for the long haul.

jAZ
06-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Didn't he realize that his best bet to make big money is to keep to his current contract? Which requires KC keeping him. Which requires them liking him. Which requires good behavior?

He's stuck being good.

wild1
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Doesn't he stand to lose a lot of money if he's not on the roster opening day?

The Chiefs' and LJ's interests are aligned for the moment. He makes the most money by keeping his trap shut and behaving until opening day. Sounds like his agent has gotten that through his head. I expect him to behave until that changes. Of course, he's disappointed us more than once before.

Humans have complex motivations, but he's not the kind of player, clearly, who is motivated on his own to be the best professional that he can be. But results are what matter, so I guess one motivation is as good as another.

I'll believe he can be productive and behave for a whole year when I see it.

FAX
06-06-2009, 11:08 PM
LJ's no fool. He knows that Santa wears red.

Perhaps he would like something other than a bench warrant in his Christmas stocking this year.

FAX

JuicesFlowing
06-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I want LJ to be good, but still a little angry ...

KCrockaholic
06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
I want LJ to be good, but still a little angry ...

I miss those "running angry" days...:huh: What happened to his effort after that amazing 05' season?

JuicesFlowing
06-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I miss those "running angry" days...:huh: What happened to his effort after that amazing 05' season?

I dunno. It's real easy to blame the O-line, but there was something else missing unfortunately.

bowener
06-07-2009, 01:43 AM
The more I read about LJ's behavior the more it starts to remind me of Ricky Williams before he started getting help for his anxiety. It seems that once the cameras are off LJ, he is a nice guy, including autographs for people when cameras arent around.

Makes me wonder if he hasn't been forced by the new team or his agent to seek "advisement" on behavior and mental problems that made it easier for him to fall in with the wrong crowd in the past. Money doesnt hurt either, but something seems a little different.

bowener
06-07-2009, 01:45 AM

Hmm...

1. OL age
2. Herm
3. HErm
4. HERm
5. HERM
6. Stupid mother-****in-waste-of-3-years Herm ****ing Edwards
7. Carl
8. Foreigners

Raised On Riots
06-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Hmm...

1. OL age
2. Herm
3. HErm
4. HERm
5. HERM
7. Carl
8. Foreigners

LMAO

LaChapelle
06-07-2009, 05:19 AM
He no longer has a problem with the robotic stalkers based out of Texas. The ones that malfunction when the control panel located behind the face gets wet.

the Talking Can
06-07-2009, 05:48 AM
The more I read about LJ's behavior the more it starts to remind me of Ricky Williams before he started getting help for his anxiety. It seems that once the cameras are off LJ, he is a nice guy, including autographs for people when cameras arent around.

Makes me wonder if he hasn't been forced by the new team or his agent to seek "advisement" on behavior and mental problems that made it easier for him to fall in with the wrong crowd in the past. Money doesnt hurt either, but something seems a little different.

i think the answer is very simple

the new regime doesn't tolerate nonsense...they aren't going to coddle an alcoholic chick beating selfish quitter they way Herm and Carl did...

HonestChieffan
06-07-2009, 06:10 AM
If the Chiefs spin Machine is any good, they can make someone believe this and get him traded.

StcChief
06-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Hmm...

1. OL age
2. Herm
3. HErm
4. HERm
5. HERM
7. Carl
8. Foreigners
9. bars with greedy cunts.

MIAdragon
06-07-2009, 06:18 AM
http://iran.worldcupblog.org/files/2008/02/p_groundhog_day.gif

BarrySPAMAID
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Johnson score a TD in week one. As Haley said a while back,
He just needs to stay on point.

Ari Chi3fs
06-07-2009, 10:37 PM
LMAO

Are posts like this even necessary?

Over 4K posts in less than 2 months is RETARDED dude.

Raised On Riots
06-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Are replies to posts like that even necessary?

Go bugger yourself.

HemiEd
06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Has it been 6 years already since he joined the Chiefs? It only seems like 10.

soundmind
06-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Larry Johnson, a quick wiki bio:

2002 Penn State - Rushes for 2,159 yards, 29 TDs, and misses out on the Heisman Trophy. On his way to 2,000 yards, sets a new high among players reaching that benchmark with an astonishing 7.7 yards per carry average.

2003 KC - Drafted 27th Overall, against Vermeil’s wishes. Behind the leagues best in Priest Holmes, so doesn’t see the field.
2004 KC - “Vermeil Diaper Incident”, Priest gets injured, Larry averages better than 150/gm. over his first 3 appearances.
2005 KC - Starts 9 games, Sets new team record for yardage (1750), Pro Bowl, Named KC Chiefs 2005 MVP
2006 KC - Sets league record for carries (412), team record yardage (1789), 2nd Pro Bowl
2007 KC - Holds out for new contract, Signs 6yr-$45M contract, $19M Guaranteed - making him the highest paid RB in the NFL sets team record for contract, Placed on IR after Week 9 with a season ending “Foot Bone Chip”.
2008 KC - Benched 2 games by team for the bar/women incidents, Suspended from Week 10 action by the Commissioner

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s not been the best ride for Larry. His 6 seasons wear like 20 years, but went by in what feels like 2. You can hope he comes back to football form, as I do, but you can also easily see him on the turd squad, which I also do.

As for what happened to his production...I’d say it was a combination of his attitude, his contract, horrible coaching staff, an injury, and far too much time off the field. He was obviously dedicated proving his worth and gettin paid, but his average dropped that season to 3.5 before the injury...and what’s further, since he came back, he’s danced into every hole he’s seen. It’s like he watched tape on Dante Hall some plays.

Larry may have a few haymakers left in him, but over the last 4 seasons, he’s averaged 24.5 carries/game...1103 total, and he’s only got one full season of starts over the four. I think the style of play and heavy pitch count will wear him out of the game before he lets go, and with the exception possibly of this season, I’d say he’ll be Corey Dillon style in 2 seasons.

BarrySPAMAID
06-08-2009, 08:42 PM
i think the answer is very simple

the new regime doesn't tolerate nonsense...they aren't going to coddle an alcoholic chick beating selfish quitter they way Herm and Carl did...

This!

Cormac
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Larry Johnson, a quick wiki bio:

2002 Penn State - Rushes for 2,159 yards, 29 TDs, and misses out on the Heisman Trophy. On his way to 2,000 yards, sets a new high among players reaching that benchmark with an astonishing 7.7 yards per carry average.

2003 KC - Drafted 27th Overall, against Vermeil’s wishes. Behind the leagues best in Priest Holmes, so doesn’t see the field.
2004 KC - “Vermeil Diaper Incident”, Priest gets injured, Larry averages better than 150/gm. over his first 3 appearances.
2005 KC - Starts 9 games, Sets new team record for yardage (1750), Pro Bowl, Named KC Chiefs 2005 MVP
2006 KC - Sets league record for carries (412), team record yardage (1789), 2nd Pro Bowl
2007 KC - Holds out for new contract, Signs 6yr-$45M contract, $19M Guaranteed - making him the highest paid RB in the NFL sets team record for contract, Placed on IR after Week 9 with a season ending “Foot Bone Chip”.
2008 KC - Benched 2 games by team for the bar/women incidents, Suspended from Week 10 action by the Commissioner

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s not been the best ride for Larry. His 6 seasons wear like 20 years, but went by in what feels like 2. You can hope he comes back to football form, as I do, but you can also easily see him on the turd squad, which I also do.

As for what happened to his production...I’d say it was a combination of his attitude, his contract, horrible coaching staff, an injury, and far too much time off the field. He was obviously dedicated proving his worth and gettin paid, but his average dropped that season to 3.5 before the injury...and what’s further, since he came back, he’s danced into every hole he’s seen. It’s like he watched tape on Dante Hall some plays.

Larry may have a few haymakers left in him, but over the last 4 seasons, he’s averaged 24.5 carries/game...1103 total, and he’s only got one full season of starts over the four. I think the style of play and heavy pitch count will wear him out of the game before he lets go, and with the exception possibly of this season, I’d say he’ll be Corey Dillon style in 2 seasons.

Best post I've read in a while!

Halfcan
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
If the Chiefs spin Machine is any good, they can make someone believe this and get him traded.

:LOL:

BossChief
06-09-2009, 04:51 AM
LJ wont have the most yards of his career, but he will likely have his best overall year as a pro to save his financial player future.

King_Chief_Fan
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM

what would you expect from Clayton's twin?
No job
No woman
Living in mom's basement and sleeping on the bunk bed below Clayton.

CP is his life

Rausch
06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
what would you expect from Clayton's twin?
No job
No woman
Living in mom's basement and...

Nice.

Nothing like reading a Gochiefs insult and thinking "oh fuck...that's me."

http://plorf.com/media/pic-rock-bottom-here.jpg