PDA

View Full Version : Life The enourmous balls it must have taken...

jAZ
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
... to get off of that boat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/1944_NormandyLST.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Approaching_Omaha.jpg

Rain Man
06-07-2009, 01:53 PM
The front of the boat has a "No Smoking" sign.

Aside from that, yeah, that wouldn't be a good assignment. You figure there was some guy, probably unidentified, who was the first guy who stepped off the first boat. That'd be a cool thing to brag about if you survived it.

StcChief
06-07-2009, 02:03 PM
My uncle got off that boat in Normandy, and came back alive un-injuried. His stories were amazing. The "dont ask dont tell" BS now. Those guys are spinning in their grave with BHO running the pussification of America now.

Pioli Zombie
06-07-2009, 02:24 PM
My uncle got off that boat in Normandy, and came back alive un-injuried. His stories were amazing. The "dont ask dont tell" BS now. Those guys are spinning in their grave with BHO running the pussification of America now.

Yeah its all Obama's fault. Duh.
Posted via Mobile Device

JOhn
06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
My granddad's brother stepped off the boat on D+1. Unfortunately he never made it back on the boat, RPI Dale.

|Zach|
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Kind of sad you "went there" so fast in this particular thread.

I have little doubt those men would support the President of the United States of America.

Gonzo
06-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Kind of sad you "went there" so fast in this particular thread.

I have little doubt those men would support the President of the United States of America.
If I could rep via mobile device I would. Remind me tomorrow Zach.

oh and...... THIS!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
06-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Two posts to start flaming on Obama, when Obama had nothing to do with the thread.

|Zach|
06-07-2009, 02:38 PM
That first photograph is incredible.

JOhn
06-07-2009, 02:40 PM

If memory serves, those were taken later in the day, after the beach's were fairly secure. But it still takes nothing away from all who stepped ashore on a hostile beach, sailed a dangerous sea or flew threw enemy sky's:thumb:

Pioli Zombie
06-07-2009, 02:45 PM
A hero, every one of them and none of them should have had to work another day in their life. Its sickening to me how little the people who serve are paid or who aren't taken care of when they return.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie
06-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I would of tried to dive off a long way back, or shot my foot on "accident" the day before. Call me a pussy, but if I knew I had a 9/10 chance of being decimated. I ain't gettin' off that boat for anything. Those guys that went through that battle are just awesome bad asses.

Rain Man
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM

No way could I do that. I HATE walking around in wet clothes.

Skip Towne
06-07-2009, 02:48 PM
The Civil War was just as bad. 30,000 casualties in one day at Antietam.

JOhn
06-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I would of tried to dive off a long way back, or shot my foot on "accident" the day before. Call me a pussy, but if I knew I had a 9/10 chance of being decimated. I ain't gettin' off that boat for anything. Those guys that went through that battle are just awesome bad asses.

No, they were normal men like all of us. But they were abnormal times. Talk to any vet and they all say they were just regular joes. :thumb:

But I do agree with your sentiments

JOhn
06-07-2009, 02:49 PM
No way could I do that. I HATE walking around in wet clothes.

Now that fear I can understand.... then trow in the sand in your underwear?:banghead:

Rain Man
06-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Now that fear I can understand.... then trow in the sand in your underwear?:banghead:

That would've been completely intolerable. I would've had to find a changing room as soon as I hit the beach.

Pioli Zombie
06-07-2009, 02:55 PM
This reminds me of Chris Rocks routine on Gays in the Military.
"I have NO problem with Gays in the military. Cuz I'm not fightin'!!!"
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
06-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock:

WTF?

Rain Man
06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I've always wondered that, too. If a group really faced discrimination, wouldn't you stick them on the front lines? Gays don't have the right to get blown to bits in a subzero foxhole in Korea? Blacks can't storm the beaches at Iwo Jima? Women aren't allowed to step on a feces-smeared booby trap (no pun intended) in a Vietnam rice paddy? What morons were setting up those policies?

Skip Towne
06-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I've always wondered that, too. If a group really faced discrimination, wouldn't you stick them on the front lines? Gays don't have the right to get blown to bits in a subzero foxhole in Korea? Blacks can't storm the beaches at Iwo Jima? Women aren't allowed to step on a feces-smeared booby trap (no pun intended) in a Vietnam rice paddy? What morons were setting up those policies?
The military has an abundance of morons.

Ari Chi3fs
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM

That ONE guy in the back right must not of had any balls...

heh

Phobia
06-07-2009, 05:29 PM
It would have taken even larger balls to stay on the boat. You can't let your brothers down like that.

Jenson71
06-07-2009, 05:37 PM
This was a good article:

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2009/06/07/news/local/11362431.txt

C.F. man led the way on D-Day

By JOHN MOLSEED, john.molseed@wcfcourier.com
CEDAR FALLS --- The threadbare banner, like Howard Vander Beek's memories, is faded.

Vander Beek, 92, still has the American flag that flew on the vessel he commanded as a U.S. Navy lieutenant the day the Allied forces invaded France on D-Day, 65 years ago Saturday.

Vander Beek can't remember many of the details of the 19 waves of troops and equipment he led to shore June 6, 1944.

On Old Glory, the toll of more than six decades of wear is impossible to distinguish from the battle scars.

But one symmetrical hole on the blue field of the 48-star flag stands out.

"That's a hole where a bullet went through," Vander Beek, a retired UNI English professor, said.

The site of the largest invasion fleet in human history remains just as sharp in Vander Beek's memory.

"The immensity of it," he said. "The unreality of the reality. I couldn't believe I was really there."

The historic invasion was the first step toward liberating Europe from Nazi control in World War II. Vander Beek said even at the time he knew the significance of the day. He was given a new type of craft to command equipped with modern innovations such as radar. The U.S. Navy had six of the 56-foot "landing control crafts."

The vessels each carried crews of 14, one navigating officer and a commander.

As commander of a landing craft control boat, Vander Beek's task was to be one of two LCCs to find and lead other landing crafts to the beach along safe routes that had been cleared of mines and obstacles.

"A lot of it was self-taught," he said of learning to command the vessel.

Despite the precautions to preserve secrecy, spies posing as an old English couple managed to get enough details about the craft and crew that Nazi radio propogandist "Axis Sally" mentioned Vander Beek on her radio broadcast by name and described the LCC with disturbing accuracy.

While he was in secret briefings and memorizing the shape of the shoreline at his planned landing at Utah Beach, Vander Beek met and befriended Gen. Teddy Roosevelt Jr., son of President Theodore Roosevelt.

Roosevelt offered words of encouragement prior to Vander Beek's D-Day mission.

"I was standing looking out over the English Channel and suddenly someone slapped me on my back," Vander Beek recalled. "This voice said, 'my boy, my life will be in your hands.'"

By all accounts, Vander Beek performed admirably.

The Navy had six LCCs. Two other LCC's were originally supposed to guide vessels to Utah beach along with Vander Beek's LCC 60. One never got under way and the other, the LCC 80, was disabled on a dan bouy. That meant triple duty for the LCC 60 and her crew.

Underwater mines took a heavy toll on Allied vessels as they approached the French shore. Vander Beek watched as a vessel carrying four amphibious tanks was nearly lifted out of the water by a mine.

According to John C. McManus, author of "The Americans at D-Day: the American experience at the Normandy invasion" published in 2004, Vander Beek and his navigator, Lt. Sims Gauthier, took control of the chaotic situation.

As the LCC 60 circled the other landing vessels, Vander Beek shouted from a bullhorn at the other landing vessels for them to follow him through the mine swept lanes.

Accounts of the landing also show that Vander Beek drifted from the exact intended target as smoke and the dawn haze obscured the shoreline. Vander Beek estimates he led the landing craft about 500 feet from their intended destination, which turned out to be one of the few breaks of good fortune afforded the Allies that morning.

A Nazi shore battery remained intact at the exact landing point, despite allied bombardments, Vander Beek wrote in a 1995 memoir entitled "Aboard the LCC 60."

The D-Day invasion wasn't Vander Beek's first involvement in a crucial theater of the war, nor would it be his last. He was a member of the Scouts and Raiders commandos, the forerunner of the modern-day Navy SEAL teams, in the 1943 invasion at Sicily. He went on from D-Day to the invasion of South France and later served in the South Pacific.

Despite these involvements and his leadership on D-Day, Vander Beek maintains he was not a hero in the war.

"I was just such a small part of it," he said. "There were so many giving up their lives. Those are the true heroes."

Dottefan
06-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Those guys are spinning in their grave with BHO running the pussification of America now.

I was with you up until this............,because you blamed Obama..lets see, what do all bitter republicans do when they have a problem? blame Obama. Your car breaks down, its Obamas fault. It rains on your day off..its Obamas fault. They cancelled your favorite TV show...its Obamas fault......hey douchebag, your guy lost thank god,now get over it.

StcChief
06-07-2009, 07:30 PM
I was with you up until this............,because you blamed Obama..lets see, what do all bitter republicans do when they have a problem? blame Obama. Your car breaks down, its Obamas fault. It rains on your day off..its Obamas fault. They cancelled your favorite TV show...its Obamas fault......hey douchebag, your guy lost thank god,now get over it.wait until BHO is done.... then figure it. out.
I'm not blaming him for anything other than sinking our country with bad debt.

aturnis
06-07-2009, 07:53 PM
wait until BHO is done.... then figure it. out.

You're still an idiot. Why don't you sit back and reflect of all of the great things that trained chimpanzee Dubya did for you.

Dottefan
06-07-2009, 08:07 PM
wait until BHO is done.... then figure it. out.

WOW..........you really typed that? didn't edit or anything?..your just not that bright are you?