PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: OTA Update 6/8

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
OTA Update 6/8 (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-update-68.html)
June 8, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs offensive struggles in throwing the ball during the weekend mini-camp definitely got the attention of head coach Todd Haley. As the team went through its OTA session on Monday morning, there was extra time given to the passing game.

During individual position drills, Haley spent the time right in the middle of the wide receivers. Remember Haley’s background as an assistant coach was working with the wide receivers. During the practice, he saved his sharpest retorts for the guys catching the ball, and especially those dropping the ball.

“We need work, we definitely need work, to improve our execution of just the basic pass game,” said Haley. “We are having a hard time in some simplier areas. We are making plays, it’s just that the execution has to pick up. ”

There were 81 of the 85 roster players on the field for the OTA. Missing were LB Brian Waters and OLB Mike Vrabel, thus keeping intact their string of not taking part in anything this off-season that hasn’t been mandatory. Also missing was the recently married TE Tony Curtis and rookie CB Donald Washington who is expected later this week once classes are over at Ohio State.

Here are some observations from the workout, which was held in very cool and windy conditions as the weather made a complete change from the hot, steamy weekend:

– The rehab crew remained the same as it has been for all these sessions: QB Brodie Croyle, RB Kolby Smith, DE Glenn Dorsey and DT Ron Edwards.

– Along the defensive line, the guy who is leading that group right now is veteran DE Alfonso Boone. During a team passing segment of practice he broke up a screen pass from QB Tyler Thigpen to RB Dantrell Savage in the backfield.

– Matt Cassel got the most work and he was 15 of 18 in the portions of practice where he threw against a defense. He did have one picked off as ILB Derrick Johnson jumped an inside route by TE Brad Cottam and made the interception for what would likely have been a pick six. It was hard to tell if it was a great play by D.J. or a bad route by Cottam.

– Thigpen was six of 11 in the work against a defense. He also threw an interception, as S Jon McGraw grabbed a pass that bounced off RB Jackie Battle.

– Ingle Martin was six of 11 and had one of the prettiest offensive plays of the day, when he hit a deep running Cottam in stride for a play that would have gone for 25 to 30 yards. Cottam beat CB Londen Fryar on the play and S Ricky Price didn’t get over in time to break up the throw.

– The Chiefs had their quarterbacks on the move in this workout, as both Cassel and Thigpen had multiple throws on short bootlegs to the left and right. Thigpen and WR Rodney Wright combined on a nice throw and catch

– OLB Tamba Hali read a running play in the teamwork portion of practice and almost grabbed the handoff from Cassel to Battle. It was one of the better defensive plays of the off-season.

– WR C.J. Jones was wide open and Martin threw a nice pass, that was juggled and then dropped. Jones can’t afford to drop those kind of passes.

– In teamwork, RB Larry Johnson had a nice run off right guard, hitting the hole quickly and accelerating to the second level of the defense.

– Defensively, McGraw, S DaJuan Morgan and rookie LB Jovan Belcher all knocked down passes in coverage.

Slainte
06-08-2009, 12:55 PM
CB Londen Fryar

What a great name!

KcFanInGA
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I feel better about our defense every day. Glad Haley is focusing on the passing game, it seems to be an area we are lacking in. Ok, so Vrabel is a union type of guy, and usually never attends non-mandatory events, but Waters is starting to piss me off. It is obvious he isn't even making an effort. Unless he was worn out after the weekend, because the new workouts probably wore him out. And Tamba, in the backfield? Now that is news!

Chiefnj2
06-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I feel better about our defense every day. Glad Haley is focusing on the passing game, it seems to be an area we are lacking in. Ok, so Vrabel is a union type of guy, and usually never attends non-mandatory events, but Waters is starting to piss me off. It is obvious he isn't even making an effort. Unless he was worn out after the weekend, because the new workouts probably wore him out. And Tamba, in the backfield? Now that is news!

What did you read to get you excited about the defense? The fact that Boone is emerging as the top DL?

Shag
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Has there been any discussion of how much time Cassel is spending under center versus the shotgun?

SNR
06-08-2009, 01:23 PM
While new coaches for the Chiefs have always focused on things we were sucking on (Vermeil talked about defense constantly, Herm talked about Oline protection) I don't think I ever saw or heard a comment from them about how bad our WRs are. They would say something like, "the guys gotta catch those throws" but seemingly wouldn't do jack shit about it.

I gotta admit, I really like what Haley has been doing/saying/practicing according to these minicamp reports. Hope he keeps it up in training camp.

HC_Chief
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
What did you read to get you excited about the defense? The fact that Boone is emerging as the top DL?

Yeah, I didn't like that.

I am worried about our passing game. The loss of TG is going to be felt. We didn't add anyone to make up for that loss, and that is scary considering we had a poor receiving corps to begin with. Now we throw a ton of money in to the mix for a QB, and we have a potential for disaster. I would prefer to hedge our bets and stock up on as many receivers as possible.

KcFanInGA
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Ok, you got me there. But I could care less about the name on the jersey, right now we just need guys making plays, and the defense is looking a lot better than the offense, from what I have read. Haley has spoken a few times about being excited by the defense. Let me cling to my hope, man!

KcFanInGA
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I didn't like that.

I am worried about our passing game. The loss of TG is going to be felt. We didn't add anyone to make up for that loss, and that is scary considering we had a poor receiving corps to begin with. Now we throw a ton of money in to the mix for a QB, and we have a potential for disaster. I would prefer to hedge our bets and stock up on as many receivers as possible.

Agreed. I keep hoping to read that we have at least brought some more recievers in, or better yet signed Harrison or Burress.

RustShack
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I've been a little impressed about how many times I've heard Hali mentioned so far, and none in a negative way.

kc rush
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I think this report is BS. There is no way Gretz could see all of this action stuck in the corner 253,197 yards away from the field with the rest of the media. He's making things up since everyone knows that any operations around Arrowhead are classified as Top Secret.

KcFanInGA
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I've been a little impressed about how many times I've heard Hali mentioned so far, and none in a positive way.

– OLB Tamba Hali read a running play in the teamwork portion of practice and almost grabbed the handoff from Cassel to Battle. It was one of the better defensive plays of the off-season.

RustShack
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM

I meant negative, my bad. :thumb:

DaWolf
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I've been a little impressed about how many times I've heard Hali mentioned so far, and none in a negative way.

A few of Bob's previous reports mention Hali dropping into zone coverage and breaking up passes or making a good play, so that is encouraging to me. However, it still remains to be seen what happens when the pads go on, and I'm still curious to see where the pass rush is going to come from.

I'm anxious to get Dorsey back out there on the field. His sitting on the sideline rehabbing is bad news for everyone outside of Magee...

KcFanInGA
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I meant negative, my bad. :thumb:

Gotcha :thumb:

petegz28
06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Execution was what we sorely lacked under Herm and excelled at under DV. That is again testament to the fact that, as I said from the beginnning of Herm contrary to what Claythan says, Herm's practices were soft and undisciplined. Basically with Herm if you showed up on time then you did your job.

Chiefnj2
06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
There is no contact allowed. You can't tell anything at this point.

milkman
06-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Missing were LB Brian Waters

Waters needs to be at these practices to learn his new position.

:D

Rooster
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
And Tamba, in the backfield? Now that is news!

:LOL: I was thinking the same thing.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2009, 02:55 PM
:LOL: I was thinking the same thing.

He does look much leaner. It'll be interesting to see him line up at 250 or 255 instead of 275-280.

Rooster
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
He does look much leaner. It'll be interesting to see him line up at 250 or 255 instead of 275-280.

He does have a good motor and he doesn't quit. I hope a leaner Tamba is a good Tamba.

Mr. Krab
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
What the heck is wrong with Dorsey?

FAX
06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
You know, Dorsey had a bad femur or something. Or maybe it was a bad lemur (If so, he needs to put it down because they cannot be rehabilitated with any success. Once a lemur goes bad, they stay bad and frequently use their prehensile tails to do unspeakable things to innocent primates just looking around for nuts or those odd, little bananas to eat.). Anyhow, before he was drafted there were questions as to the stability of the injury to his leg. I'm wondering if the Chiefs doctors got it wrong and his problems were more extensive than they realized. After all, some draft peeps initially thought he'd go higher.

FAX

Stryker
06-08-2009, 03:18 PM

I am wondering the same thing. Hell, he has been on the sielines now for what, a month?

CoMoChief
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Waters clearly stated that he usually doesn't attend voluntary workouts. Dont know why this would be any different.

chiefs1111
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Ingle Martin is still with the Chiefs???

bdeg
06-08-2009, 03:34 PM
You know, Dorsey had a bad femur or something. Or maybe it was a bad lemur (If so, he needs to put it down because they cannot be rehabilitated with any success. Once a lemur goes bad, they stay bad and frequently use their prehensile tails to do unspeakable things to innocent primates just looking around for nuts or those odd, little bananas to eat.). Anyhow, before he was drafted there were questions as to the stability of the injury to his leg. I'm wondering if the Chiefs doctors got it wrong and his problems were more extensive than they realized. After all, some draft peeps initially thought he'd go higher.

FAX

I was initially worried about that, too. Couple things, though: usually with those situations you find out about it after the player is drafted. However, it was the opposite with Dorsey. Post-draft we heard that many ATL FO people wanted him instead of Ryan. I believe if he had long term injury problems they would have cited that in their explanation. Or somebody would've. Never know, though. If nothing else the potential for a recurring problem probably lowered his stock a bit.

Chocolate Hog
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
If Hali can get 5 sacks this year it will be a good season for him. He should be a situatlional OLB not an every down player

MIAdragon
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM

bust.

MIAdragon
06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Ingle Martin is still with the Chiefs???

Kid can play!

Just Passin' By
06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Well, it's not definitive, but here's a clue about the pick-6 on the Cassel pass to Cottam:

Q: How has Brad Cottam picked up his position?

HALEY: “I think that’s a difficult position to be in for any of these guys whether he’s been here longer than some of these other guys or not. There’s a starting tight end position open. I said yesterday that I liked the competition at tight end right now. I think that we’ve got some guys who have some potential and look like they’re pretty hungry and are pretty serious about making a fight for it. He’s one of them. I thought today – and I haven’t watched the tape yet – but I got a little excited about a couple of things he did in the passing game because I was standing back on the defensive side and he’s a pretty big target. There’s no doubt about that. Today, with the wind blowing and the ball fluttering those are not always easy catches over the middle and I thought he did a good job.

“Now, he wasn’t so good on another one that went the other way but there were a couple of encouraging signs today from Brad. But again, I like that competition and I’m kind of excited to see how it all plays out. I think that there are some pretty competitive guys there who realize there is a window of opportunity and a legitimate shot. If I could get that at every position I’d be excited.”