PDA

View Full Version : Misc Check your Guns at the Library-We all go strapped in AZ

vailpass
06-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Went to see some friends in Peoria, AZ, took the kids to the new library. Outside of the library they have an interesting device: a coin-operated lock box where they request you store your sidearm while in the library. We are a state that does not require a permit to carry an unconcealed sidearm.

Question: do other states have similar devices outside public buildings?

MIAdragon
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Dont have those here in Miami, besides they dont look big enough for fit an AK in it anyways.

Katipan
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Went to see some friends in Peoria, AZ, took the kids to the new library. Outside of the library they have an interesting device: a coin-operated lock box where they request you store your sidearm while in the library. We are a state that does not require a permit to carry an unconcealed sidearm.

Question: do other states have similar devices outside public buildings?

heh. Those are new to me.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
sounds like a great idea. I have problem with the right to carry guns, however I do feel there are places they should not be allowed.

rambleonthruthefog
06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
i like az just a little more than i did a few minutes ago. TX requires a permit, and i've never seen a box for your gun anywhere. and yes, i have been to the public library.

Fish
06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Note to self.... rob the unarmed bastards at the library in Peoria, AZ....

Katipan
06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
sounds like a great idea. I have problem with the right to carry guns, however I do feel there are places they should not be allowed.

Can't really carry them into bars or clubs. Individual businesses can post signs saying they aren't allowed. Can't carry them into government buildings, duh.

They have to be displayed on your hip. Best plan we've got in the U.S.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Can't really carry them into bars or clubs. Individual businesses can post signs saying they aren't allowed. Can't carry them into government buildings, duh.

That's where you can get into gray areas. The Topeka & Shawnee County library is in fact not a government building. THE TSCPL despite it's name is publicly and privately funded, but is not a city nor county facility.

Katipan
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
That's where you can get into gray areas. The Topeka & Shawnee County library is in fact not a government building. THE TSCPL despite it's name is publicly and privately funded, but is not a city nor county facility.

Individual businesses can determine whether or not firearms are allowed.

Stewie
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Note to self.... rob the unarmed bastards at the library in Peoria, AZ....

LMAO

mikeyis4dcats.
06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Individual businesses can determine whether or not firearms are allowed.

oh yes, I thought you meant that Peoria library should have been off limits due to being a gov't building.

vailpass
06-08-2009, 03:30 PM

A couple days ago a guy went to rob a store on 19th ave. & Northern. Dude pulled a knife on the clerk. The clerk laughed, drew his sidearm and pumped two slugs into the would-be thief.

vailpass
06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Dont have those here in Miami, besides they dont look big enough for fit an AK in it anyways.

LMAO Yeah I'm guessing there needs to be a special set-up for Little Cuba.

Katipan
06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
A couple days ago a guy went to rob a store on 19th ave. & Northern. Dude pulled a knife on the clerk. The clerk laughed, drew his sidearm and pumped two slugs into the would-be thief.

This morning the lady that runs the deli on my block was robbed.

I went in for my morning muffin, and she was all "karen there's this guy that keeps asking to use the phone, I keep telling him no and he keeps leaving."

"He's making sure you're alone. You're about to get robbed"

"I know. Be careful when you leave."

"For sure. I don't want to be on CNN"

Last time I make jokes about that.

I leave. Walk the half a block to my work. Eat the top part of my muffin. A co-worker go to the deli and comes back 5 minutes later in shock. Our deli been robbed.

By a kid that had his arm pulled through his sleeve with some sort of pointy thing stuck inside made to look like the outline of a gun.

My dear sweet midwest girl that everyone knows and loves was robbed by what I bet was a fucking plastic spork, about 20 seconds after I left.

I don't want to sound all bad ass. But no teenager with a hidden stick would have scared me.

Fish
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't want to sound all bad ass. But no teenager with a hidden stick would have scared me.

Out of context humor.....

vailpass
06-08-2009, 03:44 PM
This morning the lady that runs the deli on my block was robbed.

I went in for my morning muffin, and she was all "karen there's this guy that keeps asking to use the phone, I keep telling him no and he keeps leaving."

"He's making sure you're alone. You're about to get robbed"

"I know. Be careful when you leave."

"For sure. I don't want to be on CNN"

Last time I make jokes about that.

I leave. Walk the half a block to my work. Eat the top part of my muffin. A co-worker go to the deli and comes back 5 minutes later in shock. Our deli been robbed.

By a kid that had his arm pulled through his sleeve with some sort of pointy thing stuck inside made to look like the outline of a gun.

My dear sweet midwest girl that everyone knows and loves was robbed by what I bet was a ****ing plastic spork, about 20 seconds after I left.

A few years in the PHX make you a little harder to scare, no doubt.
Sorry to hear about your clerk/friend getting robbed, bet she was scared.

You know how if you go into a Circle-K here you need to ask to use the restroom, most often they have to give you a key?

I was back home in Cedar Rapids last summer, went into a HandiMart and asked if I could use the restroom.
Dude looked at me sideways, finally says "I'm sure you can, why are you asking me?"
I told him it was habit because in PHX you had to ask.
Dude says "welcome home, we can pee whenever we want here".

I really like midwesterners.

Hog Farmer
06-08-2009, 04:28 PM
When I lived in Fayetteville, Nc I wore my pistol on my hip in perfect view and I'd go in any store and didn't give a fuck. I had somebody trying to kill me at the time and I was going to be armed at all times. Didn't know what the laws we're and didn't care. I used to keep a mini-14 on my lap as I'd mow the lawn. Those were the days!

vailpass
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
When I lived in Fayetteville, Nc I wore my pistol on my hip in perfect view and I'd go in any store and didn't give a ****. I had somebody trying to kill me at the time and I was going to be armed at all times. Didn't know what the laws we're and didn't care. I used to keep a mini-14 on my lap as I'd mow the lawn. Those were the days!

Damn dude. Hopefully you are no longer being hunted?

HemiEd
06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
This thread provokes memories of Johnny Yuma name, I have no idea why.

BigVE
06-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Badass or not you don't have to be SCARED to get shot! Most places of business like the one you mentioned train their people to give up the cash and not try to be hero's over a few bucks.

Katipan
06-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Badass or not you don't have to be SCARED to get shot! Most places of business like the one you mentioned train their people to give up the cash and not try to be hero's over a few bucks.

She was the owner. I understand your logic but a man with a gun is going to show you the gun. A man with a knife is holding out to make it look like a gun. She did the right thing for her. But she had a huge counter between her and the kid, and 2 exits to either side of her.

I don't know if her innocence is nearly as sad as my acceptance.

Katipan
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2009/06/08/news/breaking_news/doc4a2d2f0e54298974238798.txt

Downtown eatery robbed

WATERLOO — Police are investigating a robbery this morning at a popular downtown restaurant.

A man entered Boardwalk Deli, 206 E. Fourth St., around 9:30 a.m. and asked for money. He then left out a back entrance.

It’s unclear whether he had a weapon or if he got any money during the robbery.

Police described the assailant as a black male wearing all black with a hood on and sunglasses.

lol... I mean it's not a lol but still... lol... How will they ever find a black male wearing a black hood and sunglasses??

vailpass
06-08-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2009/06/08/news/breaking_news/doc4a2d2f0e54298974238798.txt

lol... I mean it's not a lol but still... lol... How will they ever find a black male wearing a black hood and sunglasses??

In Waterloo? Probably pretty tough to find him. Head down 380 to Urbana or Center Point and he probably doesn't blend in so well.

Hog Farmer
06-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Damn dude. Hopefully you are no longer being hunted?

Problem seemed to go away when I moved away from there.

vailpass
06-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Problem seemed to go away when I moved away from there.

Damn glad to hear it. It's bad enough you risk your neck every day at work. You never know when you might be the victim of a jiz explosion.