PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with TODD HALEY - 6/8

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Q&A with TODD HALEY - 6/8 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/06/08/qa_with_todd_haley__68/)
Jun 08, 2009, 1:54:05 PM

TODD HALEY: “We continued and got back today to the OTA schedule. I thought that after just completing five practices we came out and practiced hard in not very ideal wind conditions. But overall, I was pleased. I’m especially excited about defense and how they’re coming together. I think guys now understand, even though we’re continuing to install new pressures and new schemes. They’re starting to pick it up and starting to look comfortable. Getting hands on the football a bunch and I’m encouraged by what they’re doing on the defensive side of the ball.”

Q: How do you see the wide receiver corps?

HALEY: “We need work. We definitely need work. We need to improve our execution of just the basic pass game right now. We’re having a hard time in some simple areas. We’re making plays; it’s just the execution has to pick up. Again, when you get a day like today and the wind is blowing pretty good and you might be going into it a bit it makes for a tougher day throwing the football. But we have to find ways, especially on days like this.”

Q: Dwayne Bowe is a guy who has had some drops in his career. What do you do try to fix that? What’s the first thing you have to do?

HALEY: “Having coached receivers for as long as I did, if it’s not a vision situation where somebody actually needs a correction of their vision then you’ve got to look at technique, you’ve got to look at concentration, and there are all kinds of drills and different things you can do to work on.

“But more than anything you just have to coach it. You have to let the player know, whoever it is, that it’s not alright. It’s not alright to let the ball hit your hands and then the ground or, worse than that, tip to the other side. I think sometimes when you’re going through a little run – and even out here we’ve had a bunch of drops – you can’t let it go. You’ve got to continue to press the issue that the ball has to be caught and then drill it before and after practice and at all times. I think that’s the best solution I’ve found.”

Q: Is the vision wrong?

HALEY: “No, we’ve checked all those guys vision-wise. That’s not the problem.”

Q: What about Quinten Lawrence’s development?

HALEY: “I think that he’s making progress. It’s a long way for him coming from where he’s coming from. It’s a big job for anybody. Then, he had a little pull that he’s nursing and has had to deal with which always at the receivers position makes it much more difficult.

“But I think Quinten has shown some promise. He’s shown enough to let me think that there’s a chance. Again, it’s going to be a tough road for him given my past experience with guys coming from small schools and trying to find their way in and contributing early. But it’s been done before and I’ve seen enough from him to at least be encouraged. He can catch the ball, he can run, and he has a little feel for the position.”

Q: Bowe is one of those guys with a big personality. But he doesn’t seem to be showing it this year. Is it not a good thing to do at this point?

HALEY: “I don’t know that’s it’s a good thing or not a good thing. The number one thing has to be football for all these guys. That’s been made clear to every player on this team. We’re not interested in a lot of distractions, that I don’t believe that’s the way you win football games by distracting yourself with a lot of other things. So, we’re trying to make football number one and hold everybody accountable to that. He’s just one of 86 guys we’re telling the same thing and we want guys that are pretty serious about football, that when it doesn’t go right that they’re upset as the coaches are, or their teammates are – that they’re not guys that when it doesn’t go right they go, ‘oh well, let’s move on.’ It’s just part of trying to change the way everybody’s thinking. He’s just one of the guys in the mix.”

Q: Has Dwayne Bowe taken to the new style of coaching?

HALEY: “I would say that Dwayne’s been very receptive to what we’re trying to do. He’s continually tried to get around me and talk to me about what’s expected, he’s talked to coach Ward. He’s trying to do the right things. Again, they’re all trying to learn a lot of new techniques, new schemes, new route combinations – there is a lot going on, on top of working pretty hard physically.

"Dwayne’s another one who probably let himself go too far in the off-season so it’s been a long road back. That’s a lot of work when you’re trying to lose 20-25 pounds. There is a lot going on right now.

“But I would say Dwayne’s been very receptive to trying to do it our way, and the way we want it done.”

Q: Did you tell him specifically to turn it down?

HALEY: “I’m not going to talk about any private conversations ever with these guys as I’ve said. Again, he’s just one of 86 that we’re trying to get in a single-minded purpose of what we’re trying to get done. We obviously have a great task ahead of us and a long way to go. I think it’s going to take that from each and every one of them, each and every one of the coaches and each and every person in this building. We need them to be thinking in that way.”

Q: How has Brad Cottam picked up his position?

HALEY: “I think that’s a difficult position to be in for any of these guys whether he’s been here longer than some of these other guys or not. There’s a starting tight end position open. I said yesterday that I liked the competition at tight end right now. I think that we’ve got some guys who have some potential and look like they’re pretty hungry and are pretty serious about making a fight for it. He’s one of them. I thought today – and I haven’t watched the tape yet – but I got a little excited about a couple of things he did in the passing game because I was standing back on the defensive side and he’s a pretty big target. There’s no doubt about that. Today, with the wind blowing and the ball fluttering those are not always easy catches over the middle and I thought he did a good job.

“Now, he wasn’t so good on another one that went the other way but there were a couple of encouraging signs today from Brad. But again, I like that competition and I’m kind of excited to see how it all plays out. I think that there are some pretty competitive guys there who realize there is a window of opportunity and a legitimate shot. If I could get that at every position I’d be excited.”

Q: Do you feel you’re still learning yourself and where you are as a head coach?

HALEY: “One of the other new coaches from a couple of years ago was talking to me (about that subject). I said a couple of months ago that my head was spinning. He said, ‘Todd, your heads going to be spinning 10 months from now. I’ll call in and check.’ That’s the way it is.

“Every day is new. I’m a little more comfortable out there, I’d say, but every day is a new adventure. Like I’ve said, I don’t have all the answers. I’m just trying to get it right and make good decisions along with my staff. To this point, I feel okay about where we’re going.”

Q: Brian Waters and Mike Vrabel were not here today after the mandatory mini-camp. Did you expect that?

HALEY: “Talked to both players and again, Donald Washington (graduating from Ohio State) should be showing up here pretty quick. Talked to both players, nothing was a surprise. We had a great turnout the day after five practices (mini-camp). They lifted very hard this morning and I know myself after a weekend like that it was hard for me to get out of bed. So, I was encouraged by the way a large number of guys got themselves in here and ready to have a good practice. ”

Q: How much do you look at special teams when determining roster spots?

HALEY: “I think that the evaluation process is a daily thing. It’s something we consistently sit down as a staff and put the depth chart up and talk about guys and see who’s going forward and who’s going backwards, where we’re at. That’s something we do every two days. The evaluation process goes on every day and will continue to go on every day even through the season. Every day counts for everybody.”

raybec 4
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I really like the fact that he's calling out the guys who got out of shape in the off season.

the Talking Can
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
love that our best young players spent the offseason shoving cream pies up their ass...

keg in kc
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if what's being talked about as "letting themselves go" now was perfectly acceptable with previous coaching staffs and this is just the first of many, many lessons we're going to be hearing over the offseason about just how different a place Kansas City is going to be.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I really like the fact that he's calling out the guys who got out of shape in the off season.

I just find it disheartening that a young pro athlete like Bowe wasn't training or paying any attention to his body in the off-season.

Reaper16
06-08-2009, 05:04 PM
It so easy to tell when Tiecher is arbitrarily writing a story on a single player.

milkman
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I just find it disheartening that a young pro athlete like Bowe wasn't training or paying any attention to his body in the off-season.

I, like keg, think it may well be the result of the lack of discipline from the previous regime.

Herman fucking Edwards and crew were simply too laid back and didn't make any demands on these guys.

DTLB58
06-08-2009, 05:17 PM

Yep, Gotta think When Bowe hears that he is gonna be a little embarrased.

Good. Your getting paid big bucks. Keep your ass in shape.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I, like keg, think it may well be the result of the lack of discipline from the previous regime.

Herman fucking Edwards and crew were simply too laid back and didn't make any demands on these guys.

While I agree that may be a part of the equation, self-discipline is the mark of a champion.

I seriously doubt that you'll find Terrel Owens, Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, et al 30 pounds overweight heading into OTA's and mini-camp.

While Herm's people may be somewhat to blame, the blame ultimately lies with Bowe himself.

2bikemike
06-08-2009, 05:33 PM

I agree the mark of a true pro is doing everything right including the offseason. Tony Gonzalez was a prime example.

dirk digler
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM

I understand why this bothers people but I love hearing older guys like Len Dawson talk about getting a 2nd job in the off-season and never really taking care of their bodies and it didn't seem to hurt their careers or how they played the game.

I realize this is a different time but sometimes people make this game more complicated than it really is.

milkman
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
While I agree that may be a part of the equation, self-discipline is the mark of a champion.

I seriously doubt that you'll find Terrel Owens, Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, et al 30 pounds overweight heading into OTA's and mini-camp.

While Herm's people may be somewhat to blame, the blame ultimately lies with Bowe himself.

Cris Carter might not have been overweight, but he did have some other issues that were a clear indication of a lack of discipline.

Young men are not always self disciplined.

It is often learned the hard way, and this staff may well be the kick in the ass that Bowe and some of these other players need.

The country club atmosphere is gone.

And really, a lack of self discipline is more than simply getting out of shape.

I would certainly argue that neither Moss or Owens have ever had the kind of self discpline that is "the mark of a champion".

milkman
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree the mark of a true pro is doing everything right including the offseason. Tony Gonzalez was a prime example.

Man, Tony had the wool pulled over eyes in KC.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2009, 05:39 PM
I understand why this bothers people but I love hearing older guys like Len Dawson talk about getting a 2nd job in the off-season and never really taking care of their bodies and it didn't seem to hurt their careers or how they played the game.

I realize this is a different time but sometimes people make this game more complicated than it really is.

The game is very different today than it was 40 years ago.

I seriously doubt that Asomugha and Champ Bailey are currently 30 pounds overweight.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Cris Carter might not have been overweight, but he did have some other issues that were a clear indication of a lack of discipline.

Young men are not always self disciplined.

It is often learned the hard way, and this staff may well be the kick in the ass that Bowe and some of these other players need.

The country club atmosphere is gone.

And really, a lack of self discipline is more than simply getting out of shape.

I would certainly argue that neither Moss or Owens have ever had the kind of self discpline that is "the mark of a champion".

I understand your point and I hope that he arrives in better shape next year.

dirk digler
06-08-2009, 05:42 PM
The game is very different today than it was 40 years ago.

I seriously doubt that Asomugha and Champ Bailey are currently 30 pounds overweight.

The core of the game isn't. The problem with Bowe is not being overweight it is catching the ball which is by far his main job.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2009, 05:45 PM
The core of the game isn't. The problem with Bowe is not being overweight it is catching the ball which is by far his main job.

While I disagree with the first part, he certainly has that problem as well.

IMO, they're related. If he truly wanted to be great, he'd be working out everyday and working the juggs machine with regularity.

We'll see if Haley can help him in both regards.

dirk digler
06-08-2009, 05:47 PM

IMO, they're related. If he truly wanted to be great, he'd be working out everyday and working the juggs machine with regularity.

I hope Haley can help him too because they were showing clips today on the news of all the WR's dropping passes. Our WR's corp looks pretty shitty right now.

keg in kc
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM

While Herm's people may be somewhat to blame, the blame ultimately lies with Bowe himself.That's not exactly my point, although it's possible that Bowe's being lazy and has been in the past. It's also possible they may have a different playing weight for him in mind than previous teams. Maybe they want him at 200 instead of 220.

Or maybe these repeated messages about recent high draft picks working hard in camp to work on their weight is a motivational thing, messages to the entire team that things that cut it in the past don't work now. That message works better with Bowe and Albert as the targets than it does with second tier players.

booger
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
can't remember where but somewhere in a q/a or something i thought it said something about Bowe saying Haley wants him at 218. Maybe it was the same star article that DJ said he was 241 but wanted to be at 238. Check the pics link at the star site from the recent minicamp and ota's. DJ looks slimmer in the upper body, less bulk. The OL except waters looks fit. It was one of the videos from kcchiefs.com on the mini camp but noticed McBride from afar and he looks slim almost as much as Tamba.

The CFA Cameron Goldberg, OT from Duke is only 265. Haley answered a queston after the rookie camp in may about him from either Rick Dean or Doug Tucker ( guys who ask smart questions unlike most the rest of those dopes) if they would try him at TE or DE thinking a hot topic at that time was discussion on 5tech 34 DE's and their body type to which at 265 and 6'6 the ot from duke fit and would they play him their. Haley said no.

He and Bill Muir seem to prefer the fit types compared to AZ where Whizenhunt and Russ Grimm had players like Leonard Davis and a bunch of larger power run game type OLmen.

booger
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=4461744

Bowe talks about otas and difference in Herm/Haley.

RippedmyFlesh
06-08-2009, 06:24 PM

"Dwayne’s another one who probably let himself go too far in the off-season so it’s been a long road back. That’s a lot of work when you’re trying to lose 20-25 pounds. There is a lot going on right now.

I know bowe is a big receiver but 20-25 lbs is lineman weight loss type goal. A wr gains 10 lbs and that slows them down.

Detoxing
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Wasn't bowe working in the offseason with fitz?

I think this bowe weight thing is blown out of proportion. He was probably in the kind of shape herm wanted him in, which is overweight by haleys standards
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh
06-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Man, Tony had the wool pulled over eyes in KC.
That may be true but tony was a vegatarian for a while so he didn't seem like the kind of guy who would let himself go in the off season.I am not saying he had rice like work effort but at least smart enough to not eat his way off the field.

booger
06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
left to right bradley bowe cassel webb cox goff wade smith

booger
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
anybody got any links or pics from getty or any other place that has covered otas, mini camps, etc?

RippedmyFlesh
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
left to right bradley bowe cassel webb cox goff wade smith
bowe doesnt look over weight to me there

RippedmyFlesh
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
anybody got any links or pics from getty or any other place that has covered otas, mini camps, etc?

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/32588/647-chiefs_sp_052209_dre_394f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81_large.jpg

Kansas City Chiefs first-round draft pick Tyson Jackson chased down quarterback Matt Cassel during team OTA practice on Friday at the Arrowhead practice facility. photo by DAVID EULITT/The Kansas City Star (via Kansascity.com (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/05/22/14/647-CHIEFS_SP_052209_DRE_394f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg))

booger
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
bowe doesnt look over weight to me there

me either. Maybe it was like that of Albert that it was much earlier in the offseason haley was speaking of. who knows. But the pics from the star seem to indicate everybody seems to be in good shape or getting their with the exception of waters. So that is pretty encouraging.

-King-

I don't think a juggs machine is going to help bowe. A juggs helps guys who literally can't catch. That's not bowes problem. Its that he tries to make moves before he catches the ball. Its his style of play. Its more concentration than just him not being able to catch. His drops mostly happen when he senses contact and tries to move before even getting the ball. Juggs machine won't fix that.
Posted via Mobile Device

booger
yep, seen all of the star pics cant find any on getty images.

booger
06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't think a juggs machine is going to help bowe. A juggs helps guys who literally can't catch. That's not bowes problem. Its that he tries to make moves before he catches the ball. Its his style of play. Its more concentration than just him not being able to catch. His drops mostly happen when he senses contact and tries to move before even getting the ball. Juggs machine won't fix that.
Posted via Mobile Device

no but Haley riding him like Josh McDaniels rides his pony will.

JASONSAUTO
06-08-2009, 06:52 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/32588/647-chiefs_sp_052209_dre_394f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81_large.jpg

Kansas City Chiefs first-round draft pick Tyson Jackson chased down quarterback Matt Cassel during team OTA practice on Friday at the Arrowhead practice facility. photo by DAVID EULITT/The Kansas City Star (via Kansascity.com (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/05/22/14/647-CHIEFS_SP_052209_DRE_394f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg))

but but tyson jackson will NOT help our pass rush chiefs planet said so

RippedmyFlesh
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
but but tyson jackson will NOT help our pass rush chiefs planet said so
All I know is he is going to be a beast for an o lineman to block so even if he doesn't rack up the sacks others will because of the attention he draws.

JASONSAUTO
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
All I know is he is going to be a beast for an o lineman to block so even if he doesn't rack up the sacks others will because of the attention he draws.

i agree, just thinking back to the aftermath of the draft:thumb:

BarrySPAMAID
06-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, I guess since Waters, and Vrabel were not there again, we can all commence freaking out again!!! YAY!!!

KCrockaholic
06-08-2009, 10:59 PM
If Bowe needed to lose 20-25 pounds that means he had to have weighed close to 240 coming in. That is just sad if true. Todd needs to keep kicking his ass back into shape until hes a chisled mother f'r. Bowe has the talent and body type to be one of the best.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2009, 01:18 AM
If Bowe needed to lose 20-25 pounds that means he had to have weighed close to 240 coming in. That is just sad if true. Todd needs to keep kicking his ass back into shape until hes a chisled mother f'r. Bowe has the talent and body type to be one of the best.

Or 235, it sounds like Haley is looking for a quicker/faster team, and staying at the best possible shape will hone that attribute.

Haley is probably targeting Bowe to be 215 for his playing weight.

wasi
06-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Or 235, it sounds like Haley is looking for a quicker/faster team, and staying at the best possible shape will hone that attribute.

Haley is probably targeting Bowe to be 215 for his playing weight.

I've been trying to follow the news coming out of Arrowhead and I am encouraged by quotes and direction of the team at the moment.

A couple of questions have popped up in my head.

Do the players have a break before training camp? If so, I wonder if the intense work out routine is planned with the assumption that the players will gain some weight back during the break and those that keep their playing weight will grade higher than those that don't.

If there is no break, is there a risk to this approach?

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2009, 02:26 AM
If there is no break, is there a risk to this approach?

I don't believe their is a problem if they don't have a break,because then their mind and body are in tuned to the game.