PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: New Chiefs coach cancels Bowe show

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
New Chiefs coach cancels Bowe show (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1241259.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Who turned off The Show?

There’s something different about Dwayne Bowe, the Chiefs’ third-year wide receiver. He’s quieter now. More reserved in practices. Focused.

Bowe used to run his routes during workouts, and on the walk back toward the huddle, he’d notice a television camera pointed somewhere other than at No. 82. Bowe would correct that, of course, and he’d reward the photographer with a display of flexing or dancing and always some of Kansas City’s finest free entertainment. It was called “The Show,” and for all Bowe lacked in a creative title, he made up for it with a consistent performance.

Bowe had his chance Monday morning. The Chiefs were running passing drills, and quarterback Matt Cassel locked on Bowe, who stuck out a hand and reeled in a tough catch. The cameras swung toward the receiver, out of habit now more than anything, but Bowe jogged quietly back toward the huddle. Show’s canceled today, boys and girls, and the star didn’t so much as take a bow before the curtain came down.

“I’m older now,” Bowe, 24, explained. “This is my third year, a critical year. I want to be more serious and not even give him any reason to think I’m joking around.”

He’s talking about first-year coach Todd Haley, the director of a show that has no room for fluff. Haley has made it known that he doesn’t put up with distractions, and the Chiefs are here to work and not divert attention from their goals, regardless of the laughs that Bowe’s behavior used to generate.

“We want guys that are pretty serious about football,” Haley said. “That when it doesn’t go right that they’re as upset as the coaches are, or their teammates are; that they’re not guys that, when it doesn’t go right, they go, ‘Oh, well, let’s move on.’ It’s just part of trying to change the way everybody’s thinking.

“We’re not interested in a lot of distractions. I don’t believe that’s the way you win football games: by distracting yourself with a lot of other things.”

If Haley is making Bowe a pet project, the coach has all the material and motivation he can handle. He also has the experience. Haley was a wide-receivers coach for two NFL teams, and his eye is sharp enough to know that Bowe is as talented as he is complex. He’s the Chiefs’ No. 1 receiver for a reason, but he’s as much known for spectacular plays as mood swings and dropped passes.

In addition to cutting the electricity to the Bowe Show Theatre, he hadn’t spoken to reporters for weeks. Even after agreeing Monday to answer questions, Bowe said he would do it only with the understanding that he wouldn’t discuss football. His colorful personality and how it meshes with the fiery Haley was one thing — “This guy has tendencies,” Bowe said, “but he means well” — but a football discussion wouldn’t be on the playbill.

Haley admitted last weekend that he doesn’t expect to get along with all players, acknowledging that he’s not here to make friends. Bowe could represent one of Haley’s tallest challenges: a potential star whose bulging personality and unrefined work habits often are in conflict. Haley said Bowe reported to offseason practice out of shape, the same as several other players.

“It’s been a long road back,” Haley said. “We need work. We definitely need work.”

Work is no fun, and that always seemed to be the thing that motivated Bowe. Haley will now have to find the right words and tests to unlock Bowe’s possibilities, and the coach’s mind already is working overtime to get through to the youngster.

Were his drops last year a physical or mental problem? Was it focus? Or even a problem with Bowe’s vision? Haley’s thoughts are churning, and if he hasn’t yet struck gold, he has at least eliminated a few barren mines.

“We’ve checked all those guys visionwise. That’s not the problem,” Haley said. “You just have to coach it. You have to let the player know, whoever it is, that it’s not all right. It’s not all right to let the ball hit your hands and then the ground or, worse than that, tip to the other side.

“You can’t let it go. You’ve got to continue to press the issue that the ball has to be caught and then drill it before and after practice and at all times. I think that’s the best solution I’ve found.”

So when Bowe and Haley had one of their first discussions, Bowe said, the coach said it was time to pull the plug on The Show. Haley needed Bowe’s full attention, and work had to come before entertainment. Instead of greeting fans or opponents before games, Bowe said Monday, he’ll be catching passes on the sideline. Instead of posing for television cameras and causing a scene after a receiving drill, he’ll be working on securing the ball and technique and concentration.

And he’ll do it all quietly. For now.

“You’ll be able to see The Show,” Bowe said, “but right now, I’m under the radar because of that new guy, and I’ve got to get accustomed.

“He just wants me to go out there and work on what I need to work on. There’s going to be a lot of ball drills this year.”

Bowe said he’s giving this new approach a chance. He said he wants to realize his potential, and if that means stifling his personality — even for the short term — for the greater good, then it’ll be worth it for himself and the team.

“Dwayne’s been very receptive to trying to do it our way,” Haley said, “and the way we want it done.”

So maybe it’s a little quieter on the sideline this offseason. A little more boring. Bowe said The Show will return in due time, when his bigger concerns are no longer concerns, and catching the football and appeasing his coach no longer are issues worth questioning.

It’s still early in the spring lineup, but Bowe said he trusts his coach enough to go with his suggested format changes.

“It took a while,” Bowe acknowledged. “It took a few OTA practices, a few minicamps, but I see where he’s coming from.”

Waters, Vrabel are gone again

Chiefs guard Brian Waters and linebacker Mike Vrabel again were missing from Monday’s practice. Waters and Vrabel attended last weekend’s mandatory minicamp, and both said Friday that they missed the previous practices because they were voluntary.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2009, 10:49 PM
How nice of Vrabel and crybaby Waters to not show up again...These guys dont sound like "Patriot way" material. Funny, considering that Vrabel was a Patriot for many, many years.

Count Zarth
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Waters had some charity work to go take care of, I'm sure.

Halfcan
06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
good to see he is trying his best-it will surely pay off for him

Halfcan
06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Is vrAbel the neW Bigfoot??

salame
06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
he drops too many balls to act like a fool anyway

soundmind
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Strangely in this situation, I'm comfortable with Vrabel taking the time off to save the wear and tear on the obviously aging frame. He knows what he needs to do to be in shape, but I don't think the same of Waters.

Waters showed up to the mandatory practice dates out of shape, and weeks behind the rest of the team....and I really think he did that only to avoid paying out money, and to attempt to save some face, which he failed to do. Lying about skipping charity work, doesn't help your cause fat man, just shut up, cook some more bacon, and find a team that wants you...I'm sure Pioli can work out the rest.

petegz28
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
he drops so many balls he looks like a fool anyway

Fixed your post....:thumb:

Micjones
06-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Best news I've heard all off-season.
If Bowe does the work...he can become an elite WR in this league.
Love to see that Haley's making Bowe a priority.

This kid has so much talent.
Hell as an unreliable pass catcher for two seasons he's amassed 2,000 yards and 12 TD's. What on Earth can he accomplish if he's focused?

T-post Tom
06-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Strangely in this situation, I'm comfortable with Vrabel taking the time off to save the wear and tear on the obviously aging frame. He knows what he needs to do to be in shape, but I don't think the same of Waters.

Waters showed up to the mandatory practice dates out of shape, and weeks behind the rest of the team....and I really think he did that only to avoid paying out money, and to attempt to save some face, which he failed to do. Lying about skipping charity work, doesn't help your cause fat man, just shut up, cook some more bacon, and find a team that wants you...I'm sure Pioli can work out the rest.

Alright folks, let loose the remaining BW bile and then take a deep breath... He will be the starting LG this season and he will play well.

SNR
06-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Alright folks, let loose the remaining BW bile and then take a deep breath... He will be the starting LG this season and he will play well enough to remain the starter, but still will not resemble the player he was when playing next to Roaf at all.
Fixed.

T-post Tom
06-08-2009, 11:50 PM
“We want guys that are pretty serious about football,” Haley said. “That when it doesn’t go right that they’re as upset as the coaches are, or their teammates are; that they’re not guys that, when it doesn’t go right, they go, ‘Oh, well, let’s move on.’ It’s just part of trying to change the way everybody’s thinking."

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

Deberg_1990
06-08-2009, 11:54 PM
“We want guys that are pretty serious about football,” Haley said. “That when it doesn’t go right that they’re as upset as the coaches are, or their teammates are; that they’re not guys that, when it doesn’t go right, they go, ‘Oh, well, let’s move on.’ It’s just part of trying to change the way everybody’s thinking."

Reading that practically gives me wood. Ive so wanted that attitude around Arrowhead for a long time. :)

T-post Tom
06-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Fixed.

And I'll fix yours:

Albert & Waters will be more than adequate on the left side. It's the push up the middle (center) and speed rushers on the right side (right tackle) that Haley & co need to worry about.

T-post Tom
06-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Reading that practically gives me wood. Ive so wanted that attitude around Arrowehead for a long time. :)

Yes sir, Herm brought that "cornerback mentality" to the whole team. The Super Bowl teams have leaders who don't accept losing with a shrug of the shoulders.

58kcfan89
06-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Best news I've heard all off-season.
If Bowe does the work...he can become an elite WR in this league.
Love to see that Haley's making Bowe a priority.

This kid has so much talent.
Hell as an unreliable pass catcher and unreliable passer throwing to him for two seasons he's amassed 2,000 yards and 12 TD's. What on Earth can he accomplish if he's focused?

FYP. And This.

I've been a huge D-Bowe fan since we drafted him and thought he would be our #1 beneficiary when we hired Haley.

I also love this new attitude at Arrowhead. It's nice to see that the guys in charge won't take losing lightly and they won't let the players do that, either.

My gawd, I need football. Not having the Arena League is killing me. NFL Network re-runs don't work for me.

Hog Farmer
06-09-2009, 04:35 AM
The mice in my garage are beginning to drive me crazy !

BossChief
06-09-2009, 05:22 AM
I think Bowe can be a dominant reciever BUT it will sure be interesting to see how he performs against the double and rolled coverage without Tony taking alot of the heat from him.

InChiefsHell
06-09-2009, 05:34 AM
FYP. And This.

I've been a huge D-Bowe fan since we drafted him and thought he would be our #1 beneficiary when we hired Haley.

I also love this new attitude at Arrowhead. It's nice to see that the guys in charge won't take losing lightly and they won't let the players do that, either.

Indeed. I'm looking forward to post game interviews where a coach says "We played like crap and there's no excuse. It's not OK and some of these guys have to get better quick or they'll be on the street."

My gawd, I need football. Not having the Arena League is killing me. NFL Network re-runs don't work for me.

That's why the Omaha Beef are my salvation in the off season. The IFL (Indoor Football League) still has a few weeks in its season, and Omaha has clinched a playoff spot. You should check out the Wichita Wild, I don't know how close that is to Manhattan, but it's in Kansas anyway...they are struggling a bit this season though. The Beef are playing them this weekend in Wichita. Also, there is the River City Rage, they play out of St. Charles MO and they are kicking ass right now.

FWIW. It's fun football.

...www.goifl.com

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2009, 08:09 AM
he drops too many balls to act like a fool anyway

Gaining 2000 yards recieving in his first 2 years in the league in a Herm Edwards offense really blows doesn't it :spock: He had Huard, Croyle, and an inaccurate Thigpen slinging him the ball. The guy is due to explode in a Haley offense with an accurate Cassel throwing the ball.

Guys like TO have been elite recievers even though they dropped alot of passes. I expect Bowe to improve on the drops and explode this year.

BigChiefFan
06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
It's nice having a coach that actually has expectations.

HonestChieffan
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
A coach that expects his guys to focus on the game.

Yo, Carl.....get it?

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice read from Babb. I see he couldnt resist talking about Vrabel and Waters, even though there are no surprises to Haley about them being absent.

The Show, or "Hollywood" as I like to call him had a SOPHMORE year in 2008. This is common in many great receivers. I think Bowe will have a good year, and I really hope he develops some good chemistry with Matt Cassel.

Mr. Krab
06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
New Chiefs coach cancels Bowe show (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1241259.html)
I doubt it lasts

TEX
06-09-2009, 10:00 AM
“You’ll be able to see The Show,” Bowe said, “but right now, I’m under the radar because of that new guy, and I’ve got to get accustomed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like there's a "show" within the show. I've heard of coaches referering to players as "that new guy." However, when a player, especially a young show boat like Bowe, says it about a coach, it can come across as being disrespectful.

PhillyChiefFan
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Vrabel is pissed that he was traded away from the team.

Much like Adam Banks in the epic sports movie The Mighty Ducks.

T-post Tom
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Nice read from Babb. I see he couldnt resist talking about Vrabel and Waters, even though there are no surprises to Haley about them being absent.

The Show, or "Hollywood" as I like to call him had a SOPHMORE year in 2008. This is common in many great receivers. I think Bowe will have a good year, and I really hope he develops some good chemistry with Matt Cassel.

I think Joe Horn & Tom Henderson have multiple copyrights on "Hollywood." I believe "Burbank" is still available though.

Micjones
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
FYP. And This.

Bowe has certainly had to endure lots of uncertainty and inconsistency at the QB position, but even that doesn't excuse most of the drops.

And I'm a HUGE Dwayne Bowe fan.

R&GHomer
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

Easily one of the most encouraging things I have heard yet. That shit used to piss me off so bad I couldn't stand it. IT'S NOT OK ASSHOLES!!! you're getting paid to win.

milkman
06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
The interesting thing is that Herman fucking Edwards encouraged Bowe's "Show" last year.

I don't know if Haley is going to succeed, butI am glad to have a coach who demands focus and effort.

morphius
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't mind a little showboating if you back it up, Bowe hasn't been anywhere near the upper echelon of WR's and hasn't earned it.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't mind a little showboating if you back it up, Bowe hasn't been anywhere near the upper echelon of WR's and hasn't earned it.

I agree. You gotta be show before you can act like one.

milkman
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree. You gotta be show before you can act like one.

The reality is that Bowe did show.

He put up numbers as a rookie that some of the best recievers over the years didn't match as rookies.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
The reality is that Bowe did show.

He put up numbers as a rookie that some of the best recievers over the years didn't match as rookies.

I agree as well. He just had a sophmore slump.

WildTurkey
06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I agree as well. He just had a sophmore slump.

most wr's in the NFL would take the numbers he put up in his sophomore slump...

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Does that mean Bowe won't have that raido show with Nick Athan?

InChiefsHell
06-10-2009, 06:07 AM
I don't understand the sophomore slump stuff people are saying about Bowe:

2008 Kansas City Chiefs 16 16 86 1,022 11.9 36 7
2007 Kansas City Chiefs 16 15 70 995 14.2 58 5
TOTAL 156 2,017 12.9 58 12

His average yards per catch went down. Otherwise, what is this slump everyone is talking about? Considering the epic suck that was the Chiefs last year, these numbers are pretty damn good. Any time a receiver goes over 1000 yards, that's pretty damn good...

Coach
06-10-2009, 06:10 AM
I don't understand the sophomore slump stuff people are saying about Bowe:

2008 Kansas City Chiefs 16 16 86 1,022 11.9 36 7
2007 Kansas City Chiefs 16 15 70 995 14.2 58 5
TOTAL 156 2,017 12.9 58 12

His average yards per catch went down. Otherwise, what is this slump everyone is talking about? Considering the epic suck that was the Chiefs last year, these numbers are pretty damn good. Any time a receiver goes over 1000 yards, that's pretty damn good...

Probably the drops what really stood out. He made fantastic tough catches, but the routine easy catches, he drops those. And it was frusterating, because I do recall several drives stalled because of a dropped pass.

InChiefsHell
06-10-2009, 06:28 AM
This is true, he had a lot of drops. But by the numbers, I just can't call a statistically better season a slump. Haley's going to focus the dude, I bet the dropsies go away significantly.

JD10367
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Haley sounds like a young Belichick. Nothing wrong with having your players be intense, serious, and focused. There's a time for funnin' around: it's when you're winning. Every new Patriot player always says stuff like, "I always thought these guys were just lucky, but now I see how focused and driven to win they all are." That's what you want in your coach, and players.

As for Vrabel... I'm starting to get wary on the guy. Rumor has it that he was released more for his player-rep antics, and from some of the stuff I've read he doesn't seem too enthralled to be in Kansas City. I really hope he gets his shit together and contributes for you guys, especially since your 'backers could use his assistance in implementing the 3-4. You never know, though; some vets just truly value their downtime and won't come in unless it's mandatory. (Belichick had a deal with Roman Phifer where he didn't have to show up until later, and he'd call Seau back to the team at the last minute as well.) Hopefully as the season gets closer, Vrabel will get more into the idea of playing football again. You only need him to be a "good soldier" for a season or two, then he's done anyway...

RippedmyFlesh
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I think the vrabel thing is union oriented not a displeasure of being in KC. I got to beleive if he didn't want to be in KC NE would have released him to let him go where he wanted. It may have been stay in NE in a diminished role or go else where.When the season roles around vrabel will be a big contributor.he may be getting up there but as of right now he is the best pass rusher on the rostor.

58kcfan89
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Indeed. I'm looking forward to post game interviews where a coach says "We played like crap and there's no excuse. It's not OK and some of these guys have to get better quick or they'll be on the street."

I just pictured Haley saying this in a presser. Can't wait.

That's why the Omaha Beef are my salvation in the off season. The IFL (Indoor Football League) still has a few weeks in its season, and Omaha has clinched a playoff spot. You should check out the Wichita Wild, I don't know how close that is to Manhattan, but it's in Kansas anyway...they are struggling a bit this season though. The Beef are playing them this weekend in Wichita. Also, there is the River City Rage, they play out of St. Charles MO and they are kicking ass right now.

FWIW. It's fun football.

...www.goifl.com

Yeah, I've been to a few of the Wichita games (back here for the summer), and it's not bad, but it'd be nice to see more than a few hundred people there.

Bowe has certainly had to endure lots of uncertainty and inconsistency at the QB position, but even that doesn't excuse most of the drops.

And I'm a HUGE Dwayne Bowe fan.

Of course it doesn't excuse it, but like I said, I think Bowe is one of (if not the) biggest beneficiaries from the hiring of Haley. I think Bowe could turn into an elite WR within the next couple of years.

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
You all talk about his drops look at the other guys on that list i'm sure you'd take every player from that list on your team except T.O. 86 catches 7 Td's and over 1,000 yards playing with 3 shitty Qb's for a 2nd year wide reciever is good.