PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs No Rest for the Chiefs, Back to Work for OTAs

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2009, 09:33 AM
No Rest for the Chiefs, Back to Work for OTAs (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/06/08/no_rest_for_the_chiefs_back_to_work_for_otas/)
Jun 08, 2009, 3:38:53 PM

The Chiefs returned to the field on Monday for their seventh OTA (Organized Team Activity) of the off-season after concluding five practices over a three-day weekend mini-camp. The team worked under cool and breezy conditions eerily similar to what might frequently greet the club in River Falls, WI for training camp in August.

“We had a great turnout the day after five practices,” head coach Todd Haley commented. “They lifted very hard this morning and I know myself after a weekend like that, it was hard for me to get out of bed. So, I was encouraged by the way a large number of guys got themselves in here and ready to have a good practice.”

Despite the gusty conditions, Haley continued to see progress as his club is in the midst a two-week span that will see the Chiefs practice a total of 11 times between mini-camp and OTAs.

“I thought that after just completing five practices we came out and practiced hard in not very ideal wind conditions,” Haley continued. “But overall, I was pleased. I’m especially excited about the defense and how they’re coming together. I think guys now understand, even though we’re continuing to install new pressures and new schemes. They’re starting to pick it up and starting to look comfortable.”

One area on the roster where competition should continue to be intense throughout the remainder of the spring and into training camp will be the tight end position. The Chiefs currently boast five tight ends on the roster. Two of those players have experience working with Haley in Dallas – TEs Tony Curtis and Sean Ryan – while a pair of rookies from Miami (Ohio) are acclimating themselves to the NFL ranks, TE Jake O’Connell (D7b-09) and TE Tom Crabtree (CFA-09). But it was second-year TE Brad Cottam (D3b-08) who made several impressive grabs on Monday.

“I said yesterday that I liked the competition at tight end right now,” Haley indicated. “I think that we’ve got some guys who have some potential and look like they’re pretty hungry and are pretty serious about making a fight for it. He’s (Cottam’s) one of them. I thought today – and I haven’t watched the tape yet – but I got a little excited about a couple of things he did in the passing game because I was standing back on the defensive side and he’s a pretty big target. There’s no doubt about that. Today, with the wind blowing and the ball fluttering those are not always easy catches over the middle and I thought he did a good job.”

The Chiefs defense also showed some promising flashes on Monday as the club continues to adapt to defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast’s new 3-4 package. One of those defensive highlights came during the seven-on-seven period when LB Derrick Johnson registered an interception.

The Chiefs are back on the field with another OTA session on Tuesday. The club is currently scheduled for a well-deserved day off on Wednesday before wrapping up the week with two more OTA sessions on Thursday and Friday.

HemiEd
06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Good read, glad we have 5 Tight Ends, I was worried about the TE and FB position.

Slainte
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
One of those defensive highlights came during the seven-on-seven period when LB Derrick Johnson registered an interception.

Sounds like a desperate attempt to hang onto his starter status to me...

Also, "I got a little excited" seems to be Haley's verbal crutch.

KcFanInGA
06-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a desperate attempt to hang onto his starter status to me...

Also, "I got a little excited" seems to be Haley's verbal crutch.

By making plays? Yeah, I can just FEEL the desperation.:spock:

Mr. Krab
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I hope they stay on the conditioning. Players will learn faster and play better if they are in superb condition. Imo.

CoMoChief
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
:shake: Boy Im glad we got rid of Tony G.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
:shake: Boy Im glad we got rid of Tony G.

Well, it's always hard for anyone to cope when one loses a FHOFer so he can find greener pastures.

CoMoChief
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, it's always hard for anyone to cope when one loses a FHOFer so he can find greener pastures.

Well it was just a stupid decision by the Chiefs IMO.

We traded for an inexperienced QB if you may, and Tony G is a Qb's best friend. We don't have a great Oline like the Pats do, Cassell is going to be planted on his ass all season long.

Dwayne Bowe, Ingram, Bradley can all benefit from Tony G. And so can LJ. Tony G makes the entire offense better.

I would have been fine if we would have been in a position where his loss wouldn't hurt us that much. But this team, this offense really isn't in that position at all.

Slainte
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
By making plays? Yeah, I can just FEEL the desperation.:spock:

http://www.thelinetohoneywell.com/images/sarcasm_meter.gif

Just Passin' By
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM

We traded for an inexperienced QB if you may, and Tony G is a Qb's best friend. We don't have a great Oline like the Pats do, Cassell is going to be planted on his ass all season long.

Dwayne Bowe, Ingram, Bradley can all benefit from Tony G. And so can LJ. Tony G makes the entire offense better.

I would have been fine if we would have been in a position where his loss wouldn't hurt us that much. But this team, this offense really isn't in that position at all.

If the Chiefs' offense had been so good that it was "in a position where his loss wouldn't hurt us that much", Edwards would still be coaching and there wouldn't be a new General Manager.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Uhh??? Couple of thoughts here my friend,
First and Foremost, TONY didnt want to play in KC anymore. They HAD to make the deal . Let's make sure we understand that.

Second, Cassel has experience. As a matter of fact, by my math, he won 9 more games than Thigpen did last season.

Thirdly, The Pats DID NOT have a great Oline last year, as matter of fact, I think you will be surprised when you discover exactly how many times Matt Cassel was sacked last year. He got up every time too!:thumb:

I think this Offense has a few surprises in them, and I expect to see a HALEY offense come week one of the 2009 campaign.

The Sky isnt falling. This is what Chiefsnation wanted. Change. Steady the course.

P.S. and Tony will be back. We all know that. He already said he would sign a contract to retire a CHIEF. You can thank Carl Peterson, and Herman Edwards, and everyone else in the old regime for Tony's departure. But dont blame Scott Pioli, he had no choice.

-King-
06-09-2009, 11:50 AM

The Pats had a horrible O-line last year. Cassel was planted on his ass more than any other qb in the league.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 11:54 AM

FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK FLAVOR!!!

Micjones
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
I hope they stay on the conditioning. Players will learn faster and play better if they are in superb condition. Imo.

The best part about it is... If they're properly conditioned we will fare much better late in football games.

Last year this team was always so flat in the Second Half.

HonestChieffan
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
The best part about it is... If they're properly conditioned we will fare much better late in football games.

Last year this team was always so flat in the Second Half.

Or injured on the kickoff...I agree we benefit from a better focus on conditioning.

bdeg
06-09-2009, 12:56 PM

usually you learn slower when you're tired. but it sounds like haley will keep em focused enough compared to herm that it'll outweigh that effect

couldn't be happier the conditioning has gone through the roof

Buehler445
06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
usually you learn slower when you're tired. but it sounds like haley will keep em focused enough compared to herm that it'll outweigh that effect

couldn't be happier the conditioning has gone through the roof

It's not about being tired, it's about being NOT tired. If you're in good shape, you will keep your technique better.

bdeg
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
oh, that's true. i was just commenting on how it would affect their practicing. at least these first couple months most of em will be practicing tired. of course it'll help a ton in the games regardless.

and it helps to practice tired, because you play the game tired.

when you're tired you tend to fall back into old habits so this is a good way to work on those