PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Devard Darling ready to reclaim starting job

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Recognize the talent and wait for the DVD revolution.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/darling-chases-starting-spot-%E2%80%A6-tuesday-cup-o%E2%80%99chiefs.html

Darling Chases Starting Spot … Tuesday Cup O’Chiefs

Todd Haley says there are no starting jobs assured on the 2009 Chiefs right now.

That’s OK with Devard Darling. He’s more than willing to keep working for a starting job. He’s just excited that right now, he’s running with the first team offense as the other receiver with Dwayne Bowe.

It was Bowe who got all the attention on Monday as the Chiefs started another week of OTA workouts. Haley talked about Bowe, and then the wide receiver spoke to the media, something he’s done very little of during this off-season.

On the other side of the room was the team’s other starting receiver – at least for now. As always, Darling did not draw a lot of attention. It’s probably one of the biggest surprises of the new season so far that a guy considered an unrestricted free agent bust last year, has pushed himself into the mix in the Chiefs offense. A starting job in June does not mean he goes back to Baltimore in September and takes the field for the first offensive play.

But right now, Darling is getting the chance to build rapport with QB Matt Cassel, thanks to those reps with the first team.

“I’m excited about the opportunity,” Darling said. “It’s too early to think things are set. There’s a lot of work left to do, then training camp. I’m just going out and working as hard as I can every day that I’m here. That’s what I’ve done through this whole off-season and that’s what I’m going to continue to do.”

In a Chiefs passing game that has struggled in the last week or so to get things done, Darling has been very consistent and very productive.

“You hear from the coaches all the time that they are evaluating,” said Darling. “So I try to take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way.”

People forget that Darling started last year in the Chiefs offense. It was a spot he held for the first five games of the season. He caught just four passes in those games and the only one to remember was the 68-yard play where he split the Patriots defense in the fourth quarter and gave the Chiefs a chance to beat New England. Right after Darling catch and run, Bowe dropped a TD pass in the end zone and the Chiefs racked up the first of their 14 defeats.

That play should have been Darling’s ticket to more action in the Chiefs offense. But something got in his way. First, it was the problems at quarterback and first Brodie Croyle and then Damon Huard were injured. Through the first five weeks, Darling caught just four passes, none longer than 11 yards.

That’s when Darling lost his starting job, as Mark Bradley advanced to the first unit after being signed off the waiver wire. Darling did not start again until Bradley was injured late in the season.

And it was in the last month that Tyler Thigpen found him again, as Darling caught seven passes in the final three games, including a 33-yard TD catch against Miami.

So what happened between the 68-yarder against the Patriots and the 33-yard catch against the Dolphins? Darling would like to know.

“I can’t really tell you what happened,” he said. “Nobody ever said anything to me. I didn’t get a lot of opportunities.”

Darling ended the season with 17 catches for 247 yards and one touchdown. Those numbers were all less than what he’d done in the 2007 season with Baltimore (18 for 326 and 3 TDs.) He did contribute 11 special teams tackles last season, which was second on the team.

“It was a bad year, the worst season I was part of in my career,” Darling said. “It wasn’t just that I didn’t get a chance in the offense. It was the losing. It was just awful.”

Like everyone else that returns from the 2-14 debacle, Darling is looking for an opportunity to wash that sour taste out of his mouth.

“We have a chance to overcome that,” said Darling. “That’s what I’m trying to do. I’m trying to get better every day and help this team win some games.”

MIAdragon
06-09-2009, 12:54 PM
LMAO

Pestilence
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
ROFL

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm telling you right now...Darling was completely hamstrung by our retardus maximus offensive playcalling before we went to the spread. He's waaaaay better than what he showed last year. Haley's gonna find a way to use him. No doubt in my mind.

wild1
06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
two plays accounted for about a third of his yardage production, and his only TD. LMAO

Maybe this guy will man up and top 20 receptions this year

88TG88
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
lol

MIAdragon
06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
http://stuff.pyzam.com/funnypics/3/youfunnykid.jpg

beach tribe
06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Bradley walks all over DVDudd, and if he stays healthy Darling will never see the field.

Micjones
06-09-2009, 01:05 PM
This would be ideal if he could actually produce.
The guy's got the goods. Just hasn't really put it all together on the field.

DaneMcCloud
06-09-2009, 01:06 PM
With Haley as head coach, I'm expecting improvement from all of the receivers, including Darling.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm telling you right now...Darling was completely hamstrung by our retardus maximus offensive playcalling before we went to the spread. He's waaaaay better than what he showed last year. Haley's gonna find a way to use him. No doubt in my mind.

I can agree with that Claython. I do remember the big play he had in the New England game as well. There is an opportunity for Devard this year. Let's see how it pans out.

KCChiefsMan
06-09-2009, 01:11 PM
LMAO

MGRS13
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
please please please don't do this again claythan. I mean come on didn't you learn any thing last year? Devard "football jesus" Darling can't play. please attach your self to some other never will be as opposed to the same one you mouth humped all of last year.

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM
please please please don't do this again claythan. I mean come on didn't you learn any thing last year? Devard "football jesus" Darling can't play. please attach your self to some other never will be as opposed to the same one you mouth humped all of last year.

He can play. It's not like he was dropping passes. He just needs an opportunity. He got a raw deal last year.

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I can agree with that Claython. I do remember the big play he had in the New England game as well. There is an opportunity for Devard this year. Let's see how it pans out.

you mean the one where he was running free for the game-tying TD and got ran down from behind by 99 year old rodney harrison IIRC?

BigVE
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Of course he will, the guy DID have 11 special teams tackles last year ya' know. He will be a S.T. standout.

wild1
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
you mean the one where he was running free for the game-tying TD and got ran down from behind by 99 year old rodney harrison IIRC?

precisely.

MGRS13
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
He can play. It's not like he was dropping passes. He just needs an opportunity. He got a raw deal last year.
No he can't. what passes? he doesn't get open. his opportunity should come in the UFL. He got a deal with an NFL team while having XFL talent I don't call that raw.

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 01:24 PM
No he can't. what passes? he doesn't get open..

He'd get open in a pro-style offense. That gimmicky spread stuff doesn't even require a quarterback to read the whole field half the time.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 01:25 PM

LOL!!! Yes,...

In fairness, he had to run the whole length of the field. And it was the first time he touched the ball the entire game. So, good point, but again, it was a spectacular play.

MGRS13
06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
He'd get open in a pro-style offense. That gimmicky spread stuff doesn't even require a quarterback to read the whole field half the time.
Dude really stop. i saw the guy live every game at aarowhead he can not play. It had nothing to do with his QB's or lack there of. He just sucks. Like I said you played this game last year and came out looking pretty stupid so pick some other scrub to stick up for. I mean whats next Hootie coming out of the wood work to tell us Huard has enough juice left in that cannon of his for one more super bowl run.
Your man crush on devard "football jesus" Darling = Hooties man man love with Hutard................. sad man just really really sad.

Pestilence
06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
LOL!!! Yes,...

In fairness, he had to run the whole length of the field. And it was the first time he touched the ball the entire game. So, good point, but again, it was a spectacular play.

Seriously?

He had to run the whole length of the field? He got caught by Rodney Harrison! That's like getting caught by a fast offensive lineman.

The length that some people go is pathetic.

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
He wasn't caught by Harrison.

Pestilence
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
He wasn't caught by Harrison.

Who then?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80aa4022/Devard-Darling-Highlight-WK-01-vs-Patriots-2008

Deltha O'Neil

Skip Towne
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Nebraska's punter is faster than Darling.

Mr. Krab
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
One WPI guy agreeing with another. I'm shocked.

Bugeater
06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Nebraska's punter is faster than Darling.
Kicker. That was a fake FG, not a fake punt.

Skip Towne
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Kicker. That was a fake FG, not a fake punt.

That's even worse.

Farzin
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
lol

Basileus777
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Claythan redeemed!

JuicesFlowing
06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Mandatory "Who the fuck is Devard Darling?"

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Who then?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80aa4022/Devard-Darling-Highlight-WK-01-vs-Patriots-2008

Deltha O'Neil

ooops another speedster, after hearing all through TC just how fast DVD was from clay.

redsurfer11
06-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Shake,Shake,Shake. Squirt,Squirt,Squirt.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Yea he was only the starter for half the season before they picked up a draft bust who outplayed him

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
O'Neal is actually quite fast.

-King-
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
O'Neal is actually quite fast.

....10 years ago. The guy was 32. A wr should not get caught like that by a 32 year old nickelback.
Posted via Mobile Device

Farzin
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Darling won't make much of an impact.

Just Passin' By
06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
....10 years ago. The guy was 32. A wr should not get caught like that by a 32 year old nickelback.
Posted via Mobile Device

Champ Bailey got caught by Benjamin Watson some time back, and Bo Jackson was once caught from behind. Between angles and fatigue, it happens.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Seriously?

He had to run the whole length of the field? He got caught by Rodney Harrison! That's like getting caught by a fast offensive lineman.

It's truly like mental retardation spreads on that board.

I've never seen a more fitting name on anyone. No one drinks the Kool Aid more than that poster.

If anything, the WR should have been far more fresh than the 200 year old safety who never had speed to begin with.

What was so spectacular about running a seam route down the field wide open?

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Champ Bailey got caught by Benjamin Watson some time back, and Bo Jackson was once caught from behind. Between angles and fatigue, it happens.

fatigue??? IIRC it was the only pass he caught

Just Passin' By
06-09-2009, 05:10 PM

I wasn't referring to any particular play. I was just noting that it happens. Also, it's not as if O'Neal can't run at all. His (O'Neal's) problem isn't that he's slow. His problem is that he sucks.

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 05:13 PM

It's called "running out of gas."

chiefzilla1501
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Claythan, you raise an interesting point, but you can clearly see that Thigpen was a much different QB with Bradley in the game than when he wasn't.

I don't know if Bradley's playing w/the second time because of health issues. But he clearly outplayed Darling last year. And given that Haley likes the shotgun offense and that Cassel operated out of it quite a bit last year, I don't think as much will change in the offensive approach as you might think. At least not in a way that will affect Darling's play.

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Claythan, you raise an interesting point, but you can clearly see that Thigpen was a much different QB with Bradley in the game than when he wasn't.

I don't know if Bradley's playing w/the second time because of health issues. But he clearly outplayed Darling last year. And given that Haley likes the shotgun offense and that Cassel operated out of it quite a bit last year, I don't think as much will change in the offensive approach as you might think. At least not in a way that will affect Darling's play.

Just because the quarterback in the shotgun does not mean it is the same offense. Or even remotely the same. I have explained this over and over.

I don't believe Darling was even given a chance when they switched the offense last year.

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
It's called "running out of gas."

LMAO well after all the bullshit YOU threw at this board about DVD i would expect much more. the guy cant run hard for 100 yards?

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 05:20 PM
LMAO well after all the bullshit YOU threw at this board about DVD i would expect much more. the guy cant run hard for 100 yards?

Dude most players can't maintain top-end speed over 70 yards let alone 100.

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Dude most players can't maintain top-end speed over 70 yards let alone 100.

deltha didnt have that problem, mo greene didnt, michael johnson didnt. dvd is supposedly a track guy, he should have been able to get there. hedidnt even make it 60 yards IIRC

Count Zarth
06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
deltha didnt have that problem

He wasn't running flat out from the snap. He was playing cornerback. In a zone. Hello?

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
He wasn't running flat out from the snap. He was playing cornerback. In a zone. Hello?

keep making excuses. watch the play, he got out ran by a 32 year old nickel back, and 90000 year old harrison was catching him too.

Bwana
06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
LMAO

chiefzilla1501
06-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Just because the quarterback in the shotgun does not mean it is the same offense. Or even remotely the same. I have explained this over and over.

I don't believe Darling was even given a chance when they switched the offense last year.

The offense won't be the same. But the point you were trying to make was that Darling didn't get looks because the spread pretty much designs the offense around 1 or 2 options before the QB gets rid of the ball. And my counter was that Bradley had success that Darling did not in the same offense. Again, I understand your point that the offensive approach may not be suited to Darling's strengths. But so far, he failed to make an impact with the Ravens' offense, and he failed in two different offenses for the Chiefs. There's only so many offenses you can run before you realize that the scheme isn't the problem.

I like Darling because I think he can contribute to special teams. But he's been around long enough that it should be seriously in doubt as to whether he can ever be anything beyond a 500 yard receiver.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Seriously?

I cant believe you think this wasn't a good play? He still made the play. Your right, the length that some go is quite pathetic. It works both ways.

One WPI guy agreeing with another. I'm shocked.

Who said I was a WP guy? See Sig below? Duh?

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I cant believe you think this wasn't a good play? He still made the play. Your right, the length that some go is quite pathetic. It works both ways.

Who said I was a WP guy? See Sig below? Duh?

it WASNT a good play, he was wide fucking open and caught the ball, thats what he's SUPPOSED to do. then he ran(according to your boy he is FAST) and got caught, no ran down from behind, by a 32 year old nickel. AND 9000 year old, and since has retired, harrison was closing fast. watch that play again.

Skip Towne
06-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Darling is a great example of what a waste of money it is to send Claythan to TC. He can't tell a scrub from a superstar.

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Darling is a great example of what a waste of money it is to send Claythan to TC. He can't tell a scrub from a superstar.

but but he does so much great reporting, just ask him

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
it WASNT a good play, he was wide ****ing open and caught the ball, thats what he's SUPPOSED to do. then he ran(according to your boy he is FAST) and got caught, no ran down from behind, by a 32 year old nickel. AND 9000 year old, and since has retired, harrison was closing fast. watch that play again.

I will admit, than when the play "initially" took place, I was disappointed that Devard didn't get the score. Really Jason, I see you're point.

Davard still has to make the team. Here we are talking about him as a potential starter? He should be trying to just make the team! The only reason I recalled the play, was because there wasn't many plays like that out of the offense last season, so even this turd looks good. I see your point. I still think Devard can make the team. That's my only argument. If he doesn't? Oh well.

Detoxing
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I will admit, than when the play "initially" took place, I was disappointed that Devard didn't get the score. Really Jason, I see you're point.

Davard still has to make the team. Here we are talking about him as a potential starter? He should be trying to just make the team! The only reason I recalled the play, was because there wasn't many plays like that out of the offense last season, so even this turd looks good. I see your point. I still think Devard can make the team. That's my only argument. If he doesn't? Oh well.

If he makes it, then maybe haley sees what we don't. But I would rather see what lawrence or taurus johnson can do in that spot.

And I doubt dvd is taking bradley's spot. Same way legget probably won't start over carr and biesel won't start over vrabel.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2009, 06:49 PM

i never once said to cut the guy.

BarrySPAMAID
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
If he makes it, then maybe haley sees what we don't. But I would rather see what lawrence or taurus johnson can do in that spot.

And I doubt dvd is taking bradley's spot. Same way legget probably won't start over carr and biesel won't start over vrabel.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is a good point. I like both of those kids too. They can play. Beisel will help our special teams too, as Darling could. With players like Jackie Battle added to that, our special teams could be solid this year.

i never once said to cut the guy.

I know. Just no the starter. I can agree with that. Maybe Haley has ideas, who knows.

Detoxing
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Haley is probably just seeing what dvd can do in that spot. He has already seen bradley do it. Hell, webb might be next to start opposite bowe
Posted via Mobile Device

Farzin
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Everyone is acting like the catch against NE was his only one. It was a big play, but he threw in the towel with only a couple yards left on that play.

I personally don't see a lot in him. Mark Bradley came in late during the season and despite his injury that limited him in the second half of the season while being a Chief, he produced more than Darling did in all the games he played in.

Just my two cents..

Ultra Peanut
06-09-2009, 07:55 PM
DVD owns, fuck the haters

wild1
06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm curious. Why does Darling have pimps? What reason is there to believe he will ever be anything?

He was a scrub with Baltimore, and then he came here where a guy who was signed off the street thoroughly outplayed him and took his job.

What is the cause for people to be swearing up and down he's a starter in this league? What has he ever shown? Where? Examples? Why does someone think he could get open in the league when he's never demonstrated it? I don't get it. Why pick this guy out on a team full of scrubs? Was he a great college player? Did he do something at some point to make people think he has a lot of upside?

Ultra Peanut
06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
because he owns, OKAY

Farzin
06-09-2009, 08:15 PM
because he owns, OKAY

With Miz being your avatar, I can picture him saying all the things your typing haha.

aturnis
06-09-2009, 08:17 PM

ReAlLy? I'm pretty sure the was lucky to catch one ball a day at training camp last year. Stop pimping losers!

Ultra Peanut
06-09-2009, 08:23 PM
With Miz being your avatar, I can picture him saying all the things your typing haha.The Miz and I have much in common.

For instance, we are both AWESOME.

Farzin
06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
The Miz and I have much in common.

For instance, we are both AWESOME.

Are you both 6-0 against Cena?

wild1
06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
because he owns, OKAY

I am sure he owns many things.

Ultra Peanut
06-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Are you both 6-0 against Cena?Ahem, Miz is 7-0 and also 1-0 against Big Show.

Farzin
06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Lol my bad haha

Micjones
06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm not drinking the Devard Darling Kool-Aid, but did anyone actually watch the play?
Deltha O'Neal, the fleet-footed Deltha O'Neal, had a GREAT angle on the guy.

stlchiefs
06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Our "speedy" WR got ran down from behind on a play that should have won the Chiefs the game. He was not fatigued from numerous catches that day and he should have been able to go 70+ yards full speed (Deltha had to right?). They guy didn't succeed at the one strength his own supporters said he excelled at. He's not all that you make him out to be Claythan, give the guy the slot spot if anything.

BarrySPAMAID
06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Our "speedy" WR got ran down from behind on a play that should have won the Chiefs the game. He was not fatigued from numerous catches that day and he should have been able to go 70+ yards full speed (Deltha had to right?). They guy didn't succeed at the one strength his own supporters said he excelled at. He's not all that you make him out to be Claythan, give the guy the slot spot if anything.

The slot goes to Engram.

JASONSAUTO
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm not drinking the Devard Darling Kool-Aid, but did anyone actually watch the play?
Deltha O'Neal, the fleet-footed Deltha O'Neal, had a GREAT angle on the guy.

LMAO what about harrison closing fast from directly behind?:p

Frosty
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Personally, I've taken a "wait and see" attitude with all current Chiefs, to see what happens when they aren't under the band or 'tards that were here the last three years. DVD showed a ton of talent in college and has been under terrible QB's all through his NFL career. I'm interested to see what he can do in Haley's system.

Chief Faithful
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Personally, I've taken a "wait and see" attitude with all current Chiefs, to see what happens when they aren't under the band or 'tards that were here the last three years. DVD showed a ton of talent in college and has been under terrible QB's all through his NFL career. I'm interested to see what he can do in Haley's system.

I've taken the same approach, but it is hard to imagine Devard Darling becoming a legit #2. If Haley can make something out of Darling then I'll be impressed.

wasi
06-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I've taken the same approach, but it is hard to imagine Devard Darling becoming a legit #2. If Haley can make something out of Darling then I'll be impressed.

The Chief's passing game has been TG and then all the other receivers and backs for so long that with TG now gone if Haley can make anything out of the current group I'll be impressed.

BossChief
06-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Id rather see Jeff Webb get a chance than have to see that scratched DVD waste his again.

IMHO passes went his way till the passers lost their comfort zone with throwing in his direction.

decent special teamer though...

Count Zarth
06-11-2009, 07:56 AM
IMHO passes went his way till the passers lost their comfort zone with throwing in his direction.

This literally sounds like you think he was dropping passes. He wasn't.

Farzin
06-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I was at OTAs and he dropped a pair...thought I'd share...

Micjones
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
LMAO what about harrison closing fast from directly behind?:p

Harrison might've gotten a hand on him, but I doubt he brings him down.
I think if it hadn't been for O'Neal...Darling scores there.

Micjones
06-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Id rather see Jeff Webb get a chance than have to see that scratched DVD waste his again.

decent special teamer though...

Why? Webb's had his chance.

Count Zarth
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Even IF Harrison had caught Darling, it would mean nothing. Greg Wesley once caught Tatum Bell from behind. It didn't make Wesley fast. It didn't make Bell slow. It just happens. Guys can't run full speed forever. If you don't understand this, you are a retard.

Micjones
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Even IF Harrison had caught Darling, it would mean nothing. Greg Wesley once caught Tatum Bell from behind. It didn't make Wesley fast. It didn't make Bell slow. It just happens. Guys can't run full speed forever. If you don't understand this, you are a retard.

I tend to agree, but you and I both know if he'd been caught by Harrison he'd never hear the end of it in that locker room.

BossChief
06-12-2009, 05:31 AM
This literally sounds like you think he was dropping passes. He wasn't.

No, dropping passes would mean he had effectively gotten off the line, which he didnt, had gained seperation in his cuts, which he didnt, had ran the correct route, which from his not being in sync with the qb makes me think he didnt, and had fought for the ball in the air in tight coverage and gotten his hand on the ball.

So, no he didnt routinely drop passes that lead to qbs losing confidence in throwing to him.

Sorry, I should have elaborated further.

I am somewhat excited to see who steps up WHEN Bradley gets hurt, DVD or Webb or possibly someone else...

time will tell