PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink The Majestic Steakhouse is officially closed

Bearcat
06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
:(

I worked there when I was in college, and have eaten there several times since. It always seemed to be one of KC's biggest secrets (location, maybe?), even though they had the best steak around and 3 great atmospheres (the cigar club, main level, and jazz club).

I had talked to one of the managers a couple of months ago, and I knew they were having trouble, partly due to the P&L District, but didn't know it was that bad.

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/2398

Update: Majestic Steakhouse gone for good

In late May, Dollars & Sense reported that downtown’s Majestic Steakhouse claimed to be closed temporarily.

Now the landlord, Sebree Properties LLC, said the restaurant has closed its door and turned over the property.

The historic Fitzpatrick Saloon Building, at 931 Broadway, still features its original pressed-tin ceilings and tile floor.

The 10,600-square-foot building has three stories and the basement was used as a jazz club.

“We love the building and are anxious to find someone else to get in there,” said co-owner Frank Sebree. “It is listed for rent and for sale. Ideally we would lease it.”

Majestic's owner could not be reached for comment but several former customers are concerned that they are stuck with useless gift certificates.

Demonpenz
06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
one of the problems was their dress code

KCUnited
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
That is truely sad to hear. However, the last time I was there back in January, the reservation/seating system was a circus and the service was extremely slow and I'm a very patient person when it comes to service. Very sad indeed.

HC_Chief
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
That sucks. I liked that place.

Bearcat
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
That is truely sad to hear. However, the last time I was there back in January, the reservation/seating system was a circus and the service was extremely slow and I'm a very patient person when it comes to service. Very sad indeed.

I was there on NYE... we had a reservation, so we got seated quickly, but the service was pretty slow. We didn't mind though, because it was an 8:30 reservation and we thought they might be pushing us out the door to get another table in before midnight... but we ended up being there for the countdown. It was the first time I had been in the jazz club since it turned non-smoking, and it was great.

I worked at 5 restaurants while in high school and college, and The Majestic is the 4th to close... and the 5th is next to Metro North, so it may only be a matter of time...

Pants
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I went there a couple weeks ago. I thought it was OK. I've definitely had much better steaks at other places. Live music was pretty good, nice location and building, but otherwise, I wasn't too impressed.

dirk digler
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Damn. That was one of the places on my list that I wanted to go eat at. Oh well sad to see it go.

KCUnited
06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I was there on NYE... we had a reservation, so we got seated quickly, but the service was pretty slow. We didn't mind though, because it was an 8:30 reservation and we thought they might be pushing us out the door to get another table in before midnight... but we ended up being there for the countdown. It was the first time I had been in the jazz club since it turned non-smoking, and it was great.

I worked at 5 restaurants while in high school and college, and The Majestic is the 4th to close... and the 5th is next to Metro North, so it may only be a matter of time...
It may have been a bad night the last time we went, it certainly wasn't going to prevent me from returning though as I've enjoyed that place for several years.

Please don't ever go to work at Los Corrals, though.

Bowser
06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, damn. That was one of those places you say "you know, I've got to go try that out one day...."

gblowfish
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Steak is expensive, bad economy. Hope something new re-opens in the space.

Halfcan
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
yep lots of places are closing-damm economy

Bearcat
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Steak is expensive, bad economy. Hope something new re-opens in the space.

I wonder how much a place like that goes for in terms of buying or leasing? I just hope they would have enough sense to not touch the place... leave it exactly the way it is....

tooge
06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
one of the problems was their dress code

They didn't allow wolf shirts?

googlegoogle
06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Whitlock and his fooboo shorts are to blame.

burt
06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Here is what a prick I am.....I had bad service there in '88 and NEVER went back!

Phobia
06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Hopefully Golden Corral is paying attention to the availability of the building. What a great opportunity for them.