PDA

View Full Version : Life Pets- Leopard geckos

SNR
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
So some neighbors of mine are gone for the entire month and have placed me in charge of their four leopard geckos. To make things easier, they transferred the tank where they're housed as well as the lighting/heat lamps/ food to my basement so I can watch them easier.

This is pretty fun, actually. My wife who HATES reptiles even likes them. The only "gross" part is feeding them live crickets, which I don't mind at all. Those guys are the annoying part, because they will drown themselves in the water bowl constantly. Also, when I first put the crickets in the tank, the remaining live ones start chirping and drive me nuts. Assholes.

Since I've got them for the month, I'm not in charge of cleaning the aquarium, messing with heat lamps, etc. but that shouldn't be too difficult to learn.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had leopard geckos for pets. What are your experiences, good and bad with having them? They seem like nice pets for little kids, if my wife and I ever get interested in expanding our family.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
my niece has one.

I don't enderstand the appeal of any animal not dog or cat. if it can't snuggle to show it's affection, why have it?

penguinz
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
They go well with a beer batter.

El Jefe
06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
So some neighbors of mine are gone for the entire month and have placed me in charge of their four leopard geckos. To make things easier, they transferred the tank where they're housed as well as the lighting/heat lamps/ food to my basement so I can watch them easier.

This is pretty fun, actually. My wife who HATES reptiles even likes them. The only "gross" part is feeding them live crickets, which I don't mind at all. Those guys are the annoying part, because they will drown themselves in the water bowl constantly. Also, when I first put the crickets in the tank, the remaining live ones start chirping and drive me nuts. Assholes.

Since I've got them for the month, I'm not in charge of cleaning the aquarium, messing with heat lamps, etc. but that shouldn't be too difficult to learn.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had leopard geckos for pets. What are your experiences, good and bad with having them? They seem like nice pets for little kids, if my wife and I ever get interested in expanding our family.

Super easy to take care of, very good beginner Reptile Pet. I've had my fair share of them. Although my favorite was when I had 2 bearded dragons, those babies are way better than Leopard Geckos, they also get a lot bigger. A little more space, and food, and a little more in-depth to take care of then the LEO's but well worth it.

El Jefe
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
my niece has one.

I don't enderstand the appeal of any animal not dog or cat. if it can't snuggle to show it's affection, why have it?

They are really colorful and fun to look at, but they can be boring to watch at times, but feeding time is pretty fun to watch.

Mr_Tomahawk
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Easy to take care of. 10gal aquarium, screen top. 60-75watt heat lamp. Reptibark is an option for substrates. Be sure to dust cricket with calcium powder to avoid metabolic bone disease which can be common in these animals.

Here is a good caresheet.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/Sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&id=8

Otter
06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
my niece has one.

A good fish tank is kind of neat. Their fun to space out watching their interaction in their little mico ecosystem.

Fish
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Never had much interest in geckos. They're fairly docile, but not nearly as much as some other lizards. Beardies and blue-tongued skinks are much much more docile, and generally more interesting than geckos in my experience. Those are the best reptile pets IMO.

But geckos are cheap and easy to care for. And they last a long time.

Psyko Tek
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I got a whole backyard full of geckos

it's ablast to watch them stalk their prey usually at night on a lit window after moths