PDA

View Full Version : Music Stuff to do in Nashville?

redfan
06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Going to be passing through this w/e and plan on seeing some live music. I've never been there before, but I've heard of a place called the Five-Spot. Can any 'teers throw me a clue?

Silock
06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
3rd and Lindsley was by far my favorite place in Nashville. The Wooten Brothers were always there performing. Highly recommended.

kstater
06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
My gut feeling says that Mr. FAX might know a thing or two about Nashville and the live music scene.

ILChief
06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I personally like the Second Fiddle. Tootsy's is very popular but ridiculously crowded

gblowfish
06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Mr. Fax would be the expert on this, it's his home turf.

I was there a few years back. Cool stuff I remember:
Downtown check out the Ryman Theater (original home of the Grand Ole Opry). It looks like an old Baptist Church. Down the street, check out Hatch Show Prints,
http://www.ryman.com/HatchGallery.html
a company that has made show posters for 80 years.
And Gruhn Guitars,
http://www.gruhn.com/
one of the USA's best guitar shops. They're all a couple blocks from each other. Nashville has a Hard Rock Cafe, it had cool stuff in it. Country Music Hall of Fame is cool if you like the history of C&W. Music row is just a bunch of recording studios, a bunch of them are in old houses. Over by Vanderbilt is a Pancake House called the Pancake Pantry
http://www.thepancakepantry.com/
you must eat there...awesome. Ernest Tubb's record store, and Robert's Bar are music row hangouts.
The women there will scrunch their noses at you and say "well bless your heart."They're adorable. Have a Goo Goo Cluster. Yummy.

FAX
06-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm happy to help, Mr. redhed. The fact is that there is live music pretty much everywhere you look around here. It depends upon your interests ...

For bluegrass, there's the Station Inn, Layla's and (on occasion) Robert's.

For songwriter stuff (which is extremely cool when there are good writers hanging out), there's the Bluebird Cafe in Green Hills and the Douglas Corner Cafe. I'd check them out, if I were you.

3rd and Lindsay and 12th & Porter for rock, R&B, the blues, etc.

The Exit Inn (if there's a decent act in town) is a great listening room for a variety of rock performers.

Printer's Alley has several venues with live music. Hire a taxi, have a few, and stumble into a few of those bars like the Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar. If you find your way home afterwards, you'll probably remember having a good time.

Then there are a bunch of places that feature live Jazz ... there's one on 2nd Avenue and another on Hobbs in Green Hills (Scott Fitzgerald's I think that one's called).

Then, there are a bunch of lesser known venues including The Mercy Lounge, Muse On 4th Avenue, The Tin Roof, The Lipstick Lounge, etc. Depending on who's in town and who's playing, you can get lucky and catch a good show. Also, in different places, there are jams going on - again, depending on who's in town. Sometimes, you'll see guys like Clapton or Tom Petty or somebody take the stage with the house band. I don't know if the BB King's here is still open, but if it is, it falls into this category.

My basic advice is this; Forget about Tootsies (unless you just want to stick your head in) and the other bars on Lower Broad. Those are tourist traps and basically suck. Check out the new places in the Gulch or the Circle on Music Row or some of the places listed above and, with luck, you'll hear some great music.

Mr. gblowfish is correct, though. Gruhn's is famous and very cool. Ask them to show you the upstairs - that's where all the vintage stuff is stored. The Ryman has good acts from time to time (the old one downtown). The Pancake Pantry is pretty good, but get there early on a weekend morning because there will be a long line at the door.

Were I you, I'd hit town and speak with a few bartenders about what's cool and happening, hire a taxi for the night, and cruise until you find a place that satisfies your sensibilities. That's what I like to do, anyhow.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
1. Call Fax and hang out.

2. Fly home in a drunken stupor.

BigChiefFan
06-10-2009, 08:49 PM
How about Memphis? Besides visiting Graceland, is their much family oriented things to do?

gblowfish
06-10-2009, 08:53 PM
How about Memphis? Besides visiting Graceland, is their much family oriented things to do?

Watch Univ of Memphis bribe athletes....

Beale St. is fun, but NOT for kids. Nope. It's Westport on steroids.

You can watch them feed the ducks in the lobby of the Peabody Hotel.
Have BBQ at the Rendevous.
Go to Sun Records and check out the old Stax recording studio. That's pretty cool.

Chief Bootknocka
06-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I've lived in Nashville for 30 years and go honkytonkin on lower Broad almost every weekend. Go to Paradise Park, Roberts, and the Stage. Rippy's can be fun too.

Hit Patterson House on Division.

Stay off 2nd Ave.

Printer's Alley is ok, but mainly karaoke bars.

Tin Roof is fun, especially on Thursday. Broadway Brewhouse in midtown is fun.

RJ
06-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Odd that hookers haven't been mentioned at all. What's the deal?

FAX
06-10-2009, 08:55 PM
No offense to any Planeteers from Memphis, but it's just a mud hole so far as I can tell, Mr. BigChiefFan. Even the BBQ places are poisoning peeps. Everybody seems to be getting a stomach virus after eating Memphis BBQ these days. And the blues/music scene down by the river reminds me of Disneyland - not authentic, just designed for tourists. The most interesting and fun things to do are visit the big, glass pyramid or watch the ducks waddle around in the old hotel. Somebody with some class and style needs to get themselves elected Mayor of Memphis and re-do the whole place.

FAX

FAX
06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Odd that hookers haven't been mentioned at all. What's the deal?

We don't have hookers, Mr. RJ. In Nashville, the sex is free.

FAX

Inspector
06-10-2009, 09:07 PM
You can help with the Sudanese refugees while you're there.

I know of a guy that can fix you up.

FAX
06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
You can help with the Sudanese refugees while you're there.

I know of a guy that can fix you up.

ROFL

Have you ever been in a conversation and said something that you wish you had never, ever, ever mentioned?

FAX

RJ
06-10-2009, 09:18 PM
We don't have hookers, Mr. RJ. In Nashville, the sex is free.

FAX

One way or another, you will always pay for it.

Even in Nashville.

BigChiefFan
06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
No offense to any Planeteers from Memphis, but it's just a mud hole so far as I can tell, Mr. BigChiefFan. Even the BBQ places are poisoning peeps. Everybody seems to be getting a stomach virus after eating Memphis BBQ these days. And the blues/music scene down by the river reminds me of Disneyland - not authentic, just designed for tourists. The most interesting and fun things to do are visit the big, glass pyramid or watch the ducks waddle around in the old hotel. Somebody with some class and style needs to get themselves elected Mayor of Memphis and re-do the whole place.

FAXDude, thanks for the advice. I've been there before, but it's been many a moons a go and thought it might be a decent place to soak up a different vibe for a few days for the family. Sounds like I might need a new place to consider.

stlchiefs
06-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Motorboat Dolly.

FAX
06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Dude, thanks for the advice. I've been there before, but it's been many a moons a go and thought it might be a decent place to soak up a different vibe for a few days for the family. Sounds like I might need a new place to consider.

To each his own, Mr. BigChiefFan. I mean, there are probably peeps who enjoy Memphis and know a lot more about it than I do. I'm not joking about the BBQ problem, though. The Rendezvous really has been making some people sick lately. Still, I'm sure there are redeeming qualities that other peeps know about and of which I am unaware.

So, I can only speak for myself. It's just that I'd rather be dropped on my head from Mount Rushmore than spend a weekend in Memphis.

FAX

BigChiefFan
06-10-2009, 09:39 PM
To each his own, Mr. BigChiefFan. I mean, there are probably peeps who enjoy Memphis and know a lot more about it than I do. I'm not joking about the BBQ problem, though. The Rendezvous really has been making some people sick lately. Still, I'm sure there are redeeming qualities that other peeps know about and of which I am unaware.

So, I can only speak for myself. It's just that I'd rather be dropped on my head from Mount Rushmore than spend a weekend in Memphis.

FAX It was a little rough last time I was through there, but I thought it might have changed some after all these years. I'd venture to say, it's probably not the most family oriented place to go. I'm really just throwing darts on where to get away with the family for just a few days. I appreciate the advice.

Silock
06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
BTW, if you decide to go to Pancake Pantry, make sure you get there early. It's always packed around lunchtime and breakfast.