PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Talk to me iphone freaks

Mr. Krab
06-10-2009, 09:34 PM
So looking at buying an iphone and i wonder what flavor is the best. Any features that are worthless, any that are must haves? 2G vs 3G?

Cave Johnson
06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd wait for the 3G S to come out. Faster, better battery life, same price.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a Palm Pre. It's 4G's muthafucka!!! /Jon LaJoie

Stanley Nickels
06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Friday the 19th, the 3G-S comes out. On the 17th, the 3.0 software will be released.
This phone will essentially max the 3G capabilities, whenever RETARDED AT&T DECIDES TO GET WITH THE PROGRAM, at 7.2 Mbps. Just know that to be very fast.

3.0 software allows the iPhone to "catch up to" some of the more business-like phones, allowing MMS messaging (finally), sending entire contacts (phone, e-mail, physical address, pictures, etc) to another phone, and copy-and-paste functionality.

The camera is being upgraded from a 2Gpxl to a 3Gpxl. This isn't huge, but the video capture feature, with audio, is new on the iPhone 3G-S. It'll have an iMovie-like editing feature as well, which will be nice. A number of third-party applications will utilize this feature.

Which leads to the biggest feature: apps. There are currently over 30,000 third-party apps for the iPhone. Some are ridiculous, to be honest. But many, MANY, of them are insanely handy and worthwhile. Many are free, the others are inexpensive. It remains to be seen how the 3.0 software and 3G-S phone will change apps, but the possibilities are endless.

The internal processes respond faster, by a significant amount, and the battery lasts longer as well.

Mr. Krab
06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
3Gs comes out on june, 19th i think.

Wa-Z
06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
The 2G will actually be running dirt cheap..like $99 or so.

petegz28
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
So looking at buying an iphone and i wonder what flavor is the best. Any features that are worthless, any that are must haves? 2G vs 3G?

Why don't you get a phone that runs on a real 3G network and that is really the fastest 3G network and by a Palm Pre?

ATT just learned how to spell 3G a year ago. Their network sucks. Their network speed sucks.

Mr. Krab
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Any significant difference?

petegz28
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM

**** yes! God it is night and day. We at Sprint were 3G before 3G was cool. We are currently roling out 4G. Do yourself a favor and get a Pre or an Instinct.

Mr. Krab
06-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Why don't you get a phone that runs on a real 3G network and that is really the fastest 3G network and by a Palm Pre?

ATT just learned how to spell 3G a year ago. Their network sucks. Their network speed sucks.
Umm ... if you must know, it's a B-day present. They have AT&T, not me.

petegz28
06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Umm ... if you must know, it's a B-day present. They have AT&T, not me.

Ah....well sorry to hear that. If that is the case and you HAVE to get an i-phone then you really should get the 3G.

Stanley Nickels
06-10-2009, 10:10 PM

The 8GB 3G model will be $99.

Pants
06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
**** yes! God it is night and day. We at Sprint were 3G before 3G was cool. We are currently roling out 4G. Do yourself a favor and get a Pre or an Instinct.

I thought the 3G network was owned by a separate entity and all the cell phone companies were using the same fucking thing.

Stanley Nickels
06-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I thought the 3G network was owned by a separate entity and all the cell phone companies were using the same ****ing thing.

They are "standards", meaning they use certain hardware, and must meet certain speed requirements. Using that hardware appropriately is a different story

petegz28
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I thought the 3G network was owned by a separate entity and all the cell phone companies were using the same ****ing thing.

No way. Not even. 3G can be thought of as the speed of the network for lack of a better description. Sprint's network was 3G years and years ago. In technology years that is. We rolling out 4G now.

Primarily the reason Verizon and ATT were not 3G was because of the protocol their phones used which I believe is called GSM. Sprint phones use CDMA. It is much, much faster though it eats the battery faster.

Sprint pioneered 3G when it comes down to it. The other guys are just playing catch up.

wild1
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
so what does your bill really come to, after you pay for the service that at&t requires, with one of these things?

Stanley Nickels
06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Sprint pioneered 3G when it comes down to it. The other guys are just playing catch up.

Not even close.
Japan, then S. Korea, then Europe.
Then Verizon.
Then Monet
Then, maybe then, Sprint.

petegz28
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Not even close.
Japan, then S. Korea, then Europe.
Then Verizon.
Then Monet
Then, maybe then, Sprint.

Verizon did not have 3G before Sprint. If anything they were shortly behind. We have been rolling out 3G for years now. And I should have clarified..Sprint pretty much pioneered it in the US. Monet actually had it first but they shut down.

Sprint started rolling out 3G in 2002...

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/sprint-pcs-rolls-out-nationwide-3g-2002089/
Aug. 9, 2002 (10:00 am) By: Thomas
Sprint PCS launches the U.S.'s first nationwide 3G wireless network this week. The new service, called PCS Vision, will provide download speeds of 50-70 kbps, with a theoretical maximum transfer of 144 kbps.

Stanley Nickels
06-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Really?
"The first commercial United States 3G network was by Monet Mobile Networks, on CDMA2000 1x EV-DO technology, but this network provider later shut down operations. The second 3G network operator in the USA was Verizon Wireless in October 2003 also on CDMA2000 1x EV-DO, and this network has grown strongly since then."

Stanley Nickels
06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Further:
http://4g-wirelessevolution.tmcnet.com/wireless-backhaul/news/2009/06/08/4216117.htm

"Verizon Wireless, originally the first wireless provider to offer 3G speeds"

petegz28
06-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Really?
"The first commercial United States 3G network was by Monet Mobile Networks, on CDMA2000 1x EV-DO technology, but this network provider later shut down operations. The second 3G network operator in the USA was Verizon Wireless in October 2003 also on CDMA2000 1x EV-DO, and this network has grown strongly since then."

Let me repeat this....

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/sprint-pcs-rolls-out-nationwide-3g-2002089/

Aug. 9, 2002 (10:00 am) By: Thomas
Sprint PCS launches the U.S.'s first nationwide 3G wireless network this week

last I checked 2002 came before 2003

Your wikipedia reference is inaccurate. Imagine that.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
No way. Not even. 3G can be thought of as the speed of the network for lack of a better description. Sprint's network was 3G years and years ago. In technology years that is. We rolling out 4G now.

Primarily the reason Verizon and ATT were not 3G was because of the protocol their phones used which I believe is called GSM. Sprint phones use CDMA. It is much, much faster though it eats the battery faster.

Verizon uses CDMA as well.

petegz28
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Verizon uses CDMA as well.

I thought they were mostly GSM until recently?

xbarretx
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM

REP :clap:

jAZ
06-10-2009, 11:14 PM

Cheaper and better.

I got the 3G a month ago. I'm pissed.

Guru
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
http://tysiphonehelp.com/?p=3008

3.0 software is out there to be had today.

doomy3
06-11-2009, 12:35 AM

Irony.

wild1
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I can verify as a smartphone user on the AT&T network that it's still garbage.

I'd mostly be interested in the apps on the iphone, not heavy use of the net.

Marcellus
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Its the 3G thats $99. You can get a 3Gs for $199. They don't make the 2G anymore.

BigRedChief
06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Bought two Iphones on Monday. Love it.

I can find the nearest bar/pub/gas station etc near me and have a map to it in 15 seconds. I set up a "shopping" app that I can put in a price for an item that I want and if I'm driving down the road it will beep and tell me where it is at that price and provide a map.

Find a good place to eat near me? no problem. It already knows where I am and whats located around me and its all catagorized and mapped.

2,500 apps to choose from and most are free or a buck or less.

BigRedChief
06-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Its the 3G thats $99. You can get a 3Gs for $199. They don't make the 2G anymore.

When Apple announced the details of the third generation iPhone hardware (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10260010-1.html), dubbed “iPhone 3G S,” on Monday, it said that the new smartphone would be twice as fast as the current hardware. But, Apple steadfastly refused to reveal the CPU power and amount of RAM of the latest iPhone.

The beans have now been spilled. T-Mobile, the iPhone’s official carrier in the Netherlands, inadvertently revealed the official specs on Wednesday when it posted its product page for the iPhone 3G S (http://www.t-mobile.nl/iphone/specificaties.html?WT.ac=sc_iphone2_specs) (see screenshot below). For those who don’t read Dutch, the bottom line is that the new iPhone has a 600 MHz processor and 256 MB of RAM.
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/311136-500-204.png
The new specs compare to the 412 MHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM found in both of the first two generations of iPhone hardware. Ironically, the second generation iPod Touch featured a 532 MHz processor.

By comparison, the BlackBerry Bold features a 624 MHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM and it is by far the fastest smartphone I have used up until now. The new Palm Pre has a 600 MHz CPU and 256 MB of RAM and it can multi-task up to 12 applications at once. The new Nokia N97, which is being touted as a powerful handheld device, has just a 434 MHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM. So the new iPhone hardware should make the device very competitive in term of performance.

In its official material, Apple states, “Everything you do on iPhone 3G S is up to 2x faster and more responsive than iPhone 3G.” The company also claims that “updated 3D graphics deliver an incredible gaming experience.” Technical specs about the improved graphics capabilities are one of the few details that have not yet emerged.

Frazod
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Cheaper and better.

This.

:cuss:

Mr. Krab
06-14-2009, 01:23 PM
So adding the internet access to your phone service is mandatory with the iPhone?

Frazod
06-14-2009, 01:28 PM
So adding the internet access to your phone service is mandatory with the iPhone?

I don't see how they could enforce that. It's not like the other functions of the phone quit working if you can't get an internet connection.

Mr. Krab
06-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't see how they could enforce that. It's not like the other functions of the phone quit working if you can't get an internet connection.
AT&T says it's mandatory service. (fyi $30 a month for each iPhone)

Frazod
06-14-2009, 02:42 PM
AT&T says it's mandatory service. (fyi $30 a month for each iPhone)

Yeah, I know exactly how much it costs. Didn't realize it was mandatory.

But why would you want an iPhone in the first place if you didn't get all the bells and whistles?

Mr. Krab
06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I know exactly how much it costs. Didn't realize it was mandatory.

But why would you want an iPhone in the first place if you didn't get all the bells and whistles?
It's a gift and i didn't really want to commit someone else to a monthly fee they may or may not want to have.

Apparently i'm going to have to go a different route.

Frazod
06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
It's a gift and i didn't really want to commit someone else to a monthly fee they may or may not want to have.

Apparently i'm going to have to go a different route.

Why not just ask them? It's not like losing the surprise will make the gift of an iPhone suck if the person really wants one.

Mr. Krab
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Why not just ask them? It's not like losing the surprise will make the gift of an iPhone suck if the person really wants one.
I like to be the cool guy with the surprise,awesome gift.

It's a ego thing. :harumph:

David.
06-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Lol i bet you really enjoy that 4g coverage in kansas huh?

oh wait, they only have a 4g test market in Baltimore. They have plans to roll out further this year but it probably wont be anywhere near missouri or kansas for quite a long time

From sprints website

This year, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia and Portland will get WiMax . In 2010 the service will come to Boston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

Frazod
06-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Obviously your call. But if someone had said, two months ago, "hey, would you like an iPhone for a gift," I'd have said HELL YES.

QuikSsurfer
06-14-2009, 02:57 PM

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gift/buy.html

Armyofme
06-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Cheaper and better.

If you bought it after May 9th, you can "upgrade" to the 3G S for a $20 restocking fee.

http://consumerist.com/5286680/bought-a-new-iphone-within-the-last-month-and-hate-yourselfapple-for-it-s-all-good

BigRedChief
06-14-2009, 03:58 PM
If you bought it after May 9th, you can "upgrade" to the 3G S for a $20 restocking fee.

http://consumerist.com/5286680/bought-a-new-iphone-within-the-last-month-and-hate-yourselfapple-for-it-s-all-good
So I bought an iphone last week for $99 bucks and they will give me a new iphone for $20 on June 19th? No way.:shake: If so why doesn't everyone buy the phone now for $99 bucks and save a couple of hundred $'s?

Armyofme
06-14-2009, 04:01 PM
So I bought an iphone last week for $99 bucks and they will give me a new iphone for $20 on June 19th? No way.:shake:

You basically return your current phone for a $20 restocking fee, allowing you to buy a new phone of your choice.

Frazod
06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
You basically return your current phone for a $20 restocking fee, allowing you to buy a new phone of your choice.

Shit, I'll give that a try.

Armyofme
06-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh, and to Mr. Krab's... This should answer any of your questions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/141143/2009/06/iphone3gs_faq.html

irishjayhawk
06-14-2009, 04:10 PM
FYI - Apple's iPhone cycle is always June/July. So if you're up for a phone in May or so, its best to wait until after WWDC or their launch event. (Usually same time.)

Mr. Flopnuts
06-14-2009, 04:13 PM

oh wait, they only have a 4g test market in Baltimore. They have plans to roll out further this year but it probably wont be anywhere near missouri or kansas for quite a long time

From sprints website

This year, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia and Portland will get WiMax . In 2010 the service will come to Boston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

Life's good out here. :D

QuikSsurfer
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM

NICE!!!
I got mine on May 12th :)

petegz28
06-14-2009, 06:20 PM

From sprints website

What's your point? That we are starting to roll out 4G while ATT is just getting to 3G? The fact a phone like the i-phone even came out in a 2G version is a joke. I haven't even seen a 2G phone on the Sprint netowork in so long that I forgot they existed.

Guru
06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
It's a cash cow for ATT though.

irishjayhawk
06-14-2009, 06:37 PM
What's your point? That we are starting to roll out 4G while ATT is just getting to 3G? The fact a phone like the i-phone even came out in a 2G version is a joke. I haven't even seen a 2G phone on the Sprint netowork in so long that I forgot they existed.

:rolleyes:

Many of the players were waiting for 4G to play out before jumping onto 3G, which has backfired. WiMAX was in the mix too. Instead, they're kinda implementing a 3.5G network with HSPDA etc.

The fact of the matter is the technology will be exploding faster than the companies can implement them nationwide. Verizon is on 4G too with their LTE networks in limited testing at the moment.

Also, what you ignore is quality of service. I'm no ATT fan but I'm certainly not a Sprint fan. I mean they couldn't get service on their World Headquarters for the longest time. That's pathetic.

The companies are all the same. They each have pros and cons. T-Mobile's strength is their plans (coverage + price). Sprint is the cost of their plans (price). ATT is the availability of service (more places than T-Mobile and Sprint). Verizon is superb customer service and very good quality service. I would also venture to say that ATT and Verizon had the best selection of phones. Sprint has started to join the fray with the Pre. T-Mobile lags horrendously on that front. ATT and T-Mobile are GSM based which makes international traveling easier. Sprint and Verizon's CDMA help boost data speeds even compared to equivalent GSM networks.

You just have to pick what you want out to value.

irishjayhawk
06-14-2009, 06:39 PM

I'd like to point something out that may have already been pointed out.

The old iPhone was the 3G. The new is the 3Gs (A name I personally hate). But the point is simple: Network wise, both are 3G compatible. The only difference is speed between them.

But if you had to choose right now, I'd go with the 3Gs because you'll have more bang for your buck.

David.
06-14-2009, 07:07 PM

ATT is not just getting to 3g, they've had 3g in major metro areas for years. Really the only player that is just now getting to 3g is T-Mobile.

I'm not saying sprint doesn't have excellent data services, they really do. But to claim that they're head and shoulders above att and verizon is a joke.

And i'm no ATT lover, I work for t-mobile. But to claim they're years behind sprint is silly.

David.
06-14-2009, 07:11 PM
The companies are all the same. They each have pros and cons. T-Mobile's strength is their plans (coverage + price). Sprint is the cost of their plans (price). ATT is the availability of service (more places than T-Mobile and Sprint). Verizon is superb customer service and very good quality service. I would also venture to say that ATT and Verizon had the best selection of phones. Sprint has started to join the fray with the Pre. T-Mobile lags horrendously on that front. ATT and T-Mobile are GSM based which makes international traveling easier. Sprint and Verizon's CDMA help boost data speeds even compared to equivalent GSM networks.

You just have to pick what you want out to value.

Not to nitpick here, but just fyi http://www.jdpower.com/telecom/ratings/wireless-customer-care-ratings-(volume-1)

T-mobile has won JD powers customer care ratings 8 of the last 9 years. But Verizon is very good as well they won it the year t-mobile lost.

Really the only thing t-mobile has going for it is customer service. They're down in profits so prices are going up and besides the G1 they're way behind everyone else in phone technology (though that may change with the release the of touch pro 2)

irishjayhawk
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Not to nitpick here, but just fyi http://www.jdpower.com/telecom/ratings/wireless-customer-care-ratings-(volume-1)

T-mobile has won JD powers customer care ratings 8 of the last 9 years. But Verizon is very good as well they won it the year t-mobile lost.

Really the only thing t-mobile has going for it is customer service. They're down in profits so prices are going up and besides the G1 they're way behind everyone else in phone technology (though that may change with the release the of touch pro 2)

I should have mentioned T-Mobile's customer service. I can attest to the phone lagging. I wonder if our grandfathered plan is going up...

Marcellus
06-14-2009, 07:45 PM
The only people I have ever heard bitch about the iPhone have never had one. I have never talked to an iPhone use that dislikes it. They absolutely rock and as soon as 3.0 comes out they will rock even more.

David.
06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I should have mentioned T-Mobile's customer service. I can attest to the phone lagging. I wonder if our grandfathered plan is going up...

nah, t-mob won't change a plan out from under you. As long as you keep your grandfathered plan it's yours til you change.

smittysbar
06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
I have an Instinct and I have an itouch, I take it the iphone is the same as the itouch, but with 3G and phone service, my itouch kicks the shit out of my instinct as far as everything besides the phone services

irishjayhawk
06-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I have an Instinct and I have an itouch, I take it the iphone is the same as the itouch, but with 3G and phone service, my itouch kicks the shit out of my instinct as far as everything besides the phone services

Yeah, basically an iphone is an ipod touch with a mic (and 3G chip). It remains to be seen if the next generation of ipod touch will include the compass or support for voice control (via mic on headphones).

googlegoogle
06-14-2009, 11:47 PM
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Telephones/SouthWestern_Bell_Motorola_Brick_Cell_phone_web.jpg

buy this.

You people and your pricey status symbols

Dave Lane
06-14-2009, 11:52 PM

Sprint is the worst company on earth. I wouldn't use any non GSM network anyway, fuck their proprietary crap. Iphone completely rocks beyond words...

BigRedChief
06-15-2009, 07:29 AM
okay, so I would have to pay the $299 or whatever correct?

BigRedChief
06-15-2009, 07:31 AM
It's a cash cow for ATT though.
I tell you I'm real happy(so far) with ATT. Get my flickr photos online through the TV, set my DVR through the internet, my Iphone rocks. It's "how did I ever live without it" tech toys.

Armyofme
06-15-2009, 09:10 AM
okay, so I would have to pay the $299 or whatever correct?

Yes, but you get back whatever you paid for the original phone (minus $20) to go towards the new phone.

Fairplay
06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Actually you would probably have more people coming up to you and thinking it is cool, rather then not. I would anyway.
Zach Morris had one of those. :)
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Telephones/SouthWestern_Bell_Motorola_Brick_Cell_phone_web.jpg

buy this.

You people and your pricey status symbols

Jilly
06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
my iphone's great...I love it. don't tell phisherman though....he's extremely jealous of iphone users.

Deberg_1990
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
IM leaning more towards a Sprint phone.

Their data plans seem simpler and cheaper than AT&T's

BigRedChief
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Dont go down that path. The apps on the iphone make it well worth the difference in price.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Sprint is the worst company on earth. I wouldn't use any non GSM network anyway, **** their proprietary crap. Iphone completely rocks beyond words...

As long as you want slow spotty internet connectivity, you're right.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 11:06 AM

They are. Don't go for the Appstore hype. It's cool yes. Pre is working on their Appstore. And personally I think all the "App" stuff is a touch overrated. I can easily connect to the Planet on ym phone without and App. WTF else do you need? :)

petegz28
06-15-2009, 11:08 AM
my iphone's great...I love it. don't tell phisherman though....he's extremely jealous of iphone users.

:evil: I'm telling.....

Deberg_1990
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
They are. Don't go for the Appstore hype. It's cool yes. Pre is working on their Appstore. And personally I think all the "App" stuff is a touch overrated. I can easily connect to the Planet on ym phone without and App. WTF else do you need? :)

Agreed. Also, Apple touts thousands of Apps, but how many of those are really useful? Honestly.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Agreed. Also, Apple touts thousands of Apps, but how many of those are really useful? Honestly.

Any phone with a browser and a media player is going to give most people most of what they want with their phone. And if you want some gadgets, the voice activated, turn-by-turn GPS on Sprint phones is fucking awesome. I have used it a few times and I aks myself why anyone would ever pay $400 for a GPS?

Jilly
:evil: I'm telling.....

:spank:

Dave Lane

They all are...

penguinz
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Sprint sucks ass. I got better voice quality back when I was on Ariel. Their data network is great just the voice that sucks.

Not to mention that I get voicemail notifications several hours to days after it was received.

BigRedChief
06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
With the click of a button I can find the nearest restaurant(sort by type if I like), gas station, pub/bar near me and then have a map all within 15 seconds.

I can set it up to alert me when I'm driving around and I'm near a product that I want at a price I want.

Just those two apps are enough that the quality of my life has improved.:rolleyes:

Armyofme
06-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Any phone with a browser and a media player is going to give most people most of what they want with their phone. And if you want some gadgets, the voice activated, turn-by-turn GPS on Sprint phones is ****ing awesome. I have used it a few times and I aks myself why anyone would ever pay $400 for a GPS?

If that makes you feel better, cool. Until you actually have one, and use it for a few days, you can't really discount the awesomeness that is the iPhone, coupled with the app store.

There are over 50,000 apps. You can't tell me that there aren't going to be at least a couple hundred that would interest any user.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Any phone with a browser and a media player is going to give most people most of what they want with their phone. And if you want some gadgets, the voice activated, turn-by-turn GPS on Sprint phones is ****ing awesome. I have used it a few times and I aks myself why anyone would ever pay $400 for a GPS?

I won't expect a guy with a Sprint hardon like yourself to understand that the iPhone has the same capabilities. Voice control, turn by turn GPS, way more app store offerings, and the like.

And that's coming from someone who would really like to have a Pre in hand.

penguinz
06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I won't expect a guy with a Sprint hardon like yourself to understand that the iPhone has the same capabilities. Voice control, turn by turn GPS, way more app store offerings, and the like.

And that's coming from someone who would really like to have a Pre in hand.iPhone has a true GPS unlike the triangulation crap that sprint uses in it's phones.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM

And that's coming from someone who would really like to have a Pre in hand.

My Dad has an iphone and half the time he can't even get internet access on the thing. ATT has a slower network as well. But if you want access to a bunch of fancy crap you won't ever use and that will be available on the Pre soon enough, go ahead and pay more.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 01:52 PM
If that makes you feel better, cool. Until you actually have one, and use it for a few days, you can't really discount the awesomeness that is the iPhone, coupled with the app store.

There are over 50,000 apps. You can't tell me that there aren't going to be at least a couple hundred that would interest any user.

Wow...50,000 apps??? That justifies the extra $'s in service and lack of speed. Overrated. Sure there are cool apps, still overrated. You guys make it sound like the internet is void of content and no other phone can access any of it. But I guess if I want to use my phone as a level......ROFL

petegz28
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
iPhone has a true GPS unlike the triangulation crap that sprint uses in it's phones.

LMAO you are talking out of your ass now. The GPS is much better with Sprint. Much. And to be accurrate, IPhone GPS uses "peer collected data" from cellular towers. That is not true GPS

Deberg_1990
06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
With the click of a button I can find the nearest restaurant(sort by type if I like), gas station, pub/bar near me and then have a map all within 15 seconds.

I can set it up to alert me when I'm driving around and I'm near a product that I want at a price I want.

Just those two apps are enough that the quality of my life has improved.:rolleyes:

How did you ever make it through life without those apps before?? ROFL

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:10 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5126870/in-a-nutshell-palm-pre-vs-iphone-vs-g1

CES 2009 brought us a new player in the smartphone upper-echelon. Let's drill down and see how the Palm Pre compares with the iPhone and Android's G1.

1. Multitouch touchscreen/gesture control: All three are capacitive, only the Pre and iPhone have multitouch. The Pre's glowy little "gesture area" has dropped the touchable real estate all the way down tto the bottom of the phone, which is great for being able to navigate with one hand and not interfere with the screen at all. The wavey dock you bring up from the bottom looks awesome, but can you use it out of the box without a second thought or page through the manual? That's my question. Advantage: iPhone/Pre tossup.

2. Multitasking: One of the beefiest of our beefs with the iPhone SDK is its insistence on Apps running one at a time. The G1's notifications drawer was definitely a step in the right direction, but the Pre's interface is the first smartphone OS that was built with multitasking as a core design element. Resembling the Xbox's old Blades, or a less-jarring OS X Expose even, the Pre's "Cards" interface always places you in the context of every app running for fast switching, and notifications from other apps don't pull you away completely from the task at hand. Multitasking is hugely important on a phone, and it's a good sign that Palm recognizes. Advantage: Pre

3. Hardware: Adrian says:

While the hardware is definitely high quality, I'm not entirely blown away by the design. It looks really nice, and original, but it's a little too cutesy in shape and kind of reminds me of an oversized pebble. A slightly larger screen could have definitely been put to good use, and I really don't like the black space on the sides of the screen.

A phone with a built-in QWERTY still hasn't touched the iPhone in terms of sleekness and pure sex. And it might still be a while. Advantage: iPhone

4. Development platform: The Pre's "Web OS" sure sounds nice—all developers need to know is JavaScript, HTML and CSS? Sounds good in theory, but building a mobile app will never be as easy as cranking out a new theme for your Tumblr. Palm's stressing ease of development, though, so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Apple's solid, familiar-to-devs OS X-based SDK and Android's fully open source approach. Advantage: Pre? If it's straight-up JavaScript, that's a lot of programmers ready to go. Note: we had iPhone here before, but we've switched with a qualification. Developer community still goes to iPhone for volume.

5. Web Integration: The Pre subtly integrates the internet into the phone at every opportunity, and it's awesome. Contacts get pulled in from Facebook, Gmail, IM and and scanned for dupes; the messaging app shows your last several emails, IMs and SMS with that contact in a single window. Really, really smart stuff. Advantage: Pre

6. App Store/developer community: A smartphone is only as good as the software it runs. On the Pre, Palm is still keeping application delivery details like pricing behind the curtain, but they did say the app delivery will be entirely handled by the phone (without a desktop app), which is a shame. They're saying that they're not going to duplicate Apple's Hobbesian app approval black box mistake, which Android has also hasn't fallen for, but there will be an approval process based on "security and stability." But as we know with Android, a dev community needs enough devices in the hands of consumers to reach critical mass, which the Pre will have to match. Advantage: iPhone, even with the black box, but Android and Pre's more open stances are reassuring.

7. Wireless charger: We've seen wireless charger tech for years at CES, but it's taken this long for a major consumer gadget to come bundled with its own wireless charger in the box. Whoops, it's not in the box, sold separately for unknown $$. But still: Bravo. Advantage: Pre

8. The Network: Dan Hesse, Sprint's CEO, gave our coast-to-coast 3G test a shout out in his press conference. Of course he did: Sprint won (in download speeds). Sprint was the only major carrier without a powerful, hype-catching smartphone choice, and now they have one. The Pre is a data-centric phone with a network we've proven to be strong in a large swatch of the country—that's a good combo. But would you switch to Sprint for the Pre? Ugh. Advantage: Not cut and dry for everyone, but we stand by our numbers: Sprint is the best 3G network in our tests.

9. Physical keyboard: It's preference, but one held by a large swathe of the gadget buying public: physical QWERTY keypads are still the mainstream input of choice. Touch is getting better all the time, but a lot of people still want physical keyboards. But better yet is the ability to choose; unfortunately, the Pre doesn't have a soft onscreen keyboard, and its slide-out is the same meh QWERTY from the Treo Pro. Advantage: It's preference, but on me, the iPhone's soft keyboard can't be beat.

10. Camera: The Pre has an LED Flash for its 3MP camera, something both the iPhone and G1 lack. Flash cellphone photos are ugly, but for a lot of people, they're good enough. So credit for throwing it in. Advantage: Pre

11. Battery: Apple's still an outlier with their non-removable battery; like the G1's, the Pre's comes out for a spare swap too. We've heard Apple's reasons for this a million times, we know the drill, but removable batteries will never stop being handy. Advantage: Pre

12. Copy & Paste: Yep, Pre's got it. iPhone still doesn't. Advantage: Pre/G1

13. Browser: All three use a browser based on WebKit, which has become the standard for the mobile web. We couldn't put it through our Mobile Browser Battlemodo ringer obviously, but what we saw looked great, and it's the only other mobile browser besides the iPhone that supports multitouch zooming. Advantage: iPhone/Pre

So there you have it. We're excited. Are you?

In summary....the Appstore is about all the iphone has that is clearly better. Pre has the better Network, better camera, better wb integrations, better battery and better racharge options and runs on a cheaper plan that the ATT iphone plan.

penguinz
06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
LMAO you are talking out of your ass now. The GPS is much better with Sprint. Much. And to be accurrate, IPhone GPS uses "peer collected data" from cellular towers. That is not true GPSI stand corrected. This was what was believed to be a spec but never came true in the final product. Looks like I will still need a garmin.

penguinz
06-15-2009, 02:14 PM
In summary....the Appstore is about all the iphone has that is clearly better. Pre has the better Network, better camera, better wb integrations, better battery and better racharge options and runs on a cheaper plan that the ATT iphone plan.The biggest negative is it is a Palm and it is sprint. ;)

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:16 PM
The biggest negative is it is a Palm and it is sprint. ;)

Except the tests prove otherwise. Sprint is the best 3G network and the new Palm OS is better than anything else out there. Sorry but you can blow smoke all you want. The data clearly states you are wrong.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I stand corrected. This was what was believed to be a spec but never came true in the final product. Looks like I will still need a garmin.

Don't waste your money. Either with Sprint or the Iphone you get a good enough GPS. In fact my Sprint GPS has been every bit as accurate as a Garmin. I am talking about for general use in the city of course.

Deberg_1990
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Except the tests prove otherwise. Sprint is the best 3G network and the new Palm OS is better than anything else out there. Sorry but you can blow smoke all you want. The data clearly states you are wrong.

As far as i can tell, Apple/IPhone is all about "Status Symbol" or "keeping up with the Jones" to alot of people.

Frazod
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
When did Pete turn into the Recxjake of Sprint?

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:21 PM
When did Pete turn into the Recxjake of Sprint?

Hmmm I have worked at Sprint for almost 11 years......:shrug:

penguinz
06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Except the tests prove otherwise. Sprint is the best 3G network and the new Palm OS is better than anything else out there. Sorry but you can blow smoke all you want. The data clearly states you are wrong.I have said the sprint data network is good. The voice network is terrible in the KC Area.

Is webOS good? Yes.
Is it better than iPhone OS? This is unkown.

From the looks of it it has the potential to be a great platform.

And your gizmodo article has outdated specs for the iPhone. ;)

penguinz
06-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Don't waste your money. Either with Sprint or the Iphone you get a good enough GPS. In fact my Sprint GPS has been every bit as accurate as a Garmin. I am talking about for general use in the city of course.Exactly. This will not help me much when out in the middle of nowhere.

Frazod
06-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Hmmm I have worked at Sprint for almost 11 years......:shrug:

Well, I just dumped them after eight years to get an AT&T iPhone.

Sorry about that. :)

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
As far as i can tell, Apple/IPhone is all about "Status Symbol" or "keeping up with the Jones" to alot of people.

It is. I-pod, I-phone...all the same...she has one so I have one. The Instinct imo is every bit as good minus the Appstore as well.

nevermind I can turn on my Sprint Navagation and find resteraunts, gas stations, gas by price, hotels, banks\ATMs and such. That isn't cool if I didn't have to download an App for it....LMAO
And that is just on my Touch Diamond. Didn't even need a Pre for that!

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, I just dumped them after eight years to get an AT&T iPhone.

Sorry about that. :)

Your loss. You could have kept your phone, we could have gone out back and I could have kicked you in the nuts and taken the extra $'s you are spending down and you would be just as well off. :D

irishjayhawk
My Dad has an iphone and half the time he can't even get internet access on the thing. ATT has a slower network as well. But if you want access to a bunch of fancy crap you won't ever use and that will be available on the Pre soon enough, go ahead and pay more.

Pay more? They're the same price. $199.

As for the cost of the plans, I agree ATT is outrageously overpriced but Sprint's quality sucks. It's as simple as that.

LMAO you are talking out of your ass now. The GPS is much better with Sprint. Much. And to be accurrate, IPhone GPS uses "peer collected data" from cellular towers. That is not true GPS

It uses cell triangulation (A-GPS) but if I'm not mistaken it has another form of GPS.

FWIW, I tried Sprint's GPS on the Instinct. It took 102% to complete. I don't even know how that's possible. It was also slow as balls. And I don't know how accurate it is compared to A-GPS.

Pete, you need to tone down the Sprint hardon. The Palm OS has yet to prove itself. It looks awesome, honestly. And it looks like a great attempt to mimic OSX on iPhone. But there are some drawbacks. For one, the app store is in its infancy. Which, by the way, it's ridiculous to insist all of them are "crap". And then its dishonest when you then claim "but they'll be on Pre eventually too" as if that's an adequate admission.

Multitasking has yet to be a clear pro for the Pre. Gizmodo gave it the advantage because it's the first to allow it. So what? There could be valid reasons Apple hasn't let it. For example, battery life which, as many have noted, is not that good on the Pre.

Dave Lane
Wow...50,000 apps??? That justifies the extra $'s in service and lack of speed. Overrated. Sure there are cool apps, still overrated. You guys make it sound like the internet is void of content and no other phone can access any of it. But I guess if I want to use my phone as a level......ROFL

Its not even good as a level. Really all you own is a tin can with string...

HC_Chief
06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Best thing about the ione IMO is it combines multiple devices into one: GPS, Netbook, Mobile Phone, full-featured iPod.

Other devices can do one or more of these functions as well or better than the iPhone, but there still is no device that does them all as well as the iPhone.

Hopefully one will come out soon. ATT blows. I would love to fire them (and I have no brand loyalty to Apple).

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Its not even good as a level. Really all you own is a tin can with string...

Yep...and it is a lot cheaper, does what I need it too and on a faster network than ATT.

Sorry, the Iphone is overrated.

QuikSsurfer
06-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Is someone suggesting the Palm OS > OSX?

edit: nevermind... a sprint employee.

irishjayhawk

Have you used one?

It is. I-pod, I-phone...all the same...she has one so I have one. The Instinct imo is every bit as good minus the Appstore as well.

We have officially hit blind homer/fanboy status. The instinct was laughable.

nevermind I can turn on my Sprint Navagation and find resteraunts, gas stations, gas by price, hotels, banks\ATMs and such. That isn't cool if I didn't have to download an App for it....LMAO
And that is just on my Touch Diamond. Didn't even need a Pre for that!

You aren't very foresighted. You're upset because one can choose which app he wants for his GPS and finding restaurants and gas by price etc? Wow, cry me a river.

Your arguments are sad and pathetic.

Dave Lane
Exactly. This will not help me much when out in the middle of nowhere.

Just drove from Milwaukee to KC with it last week. Super accurate found restaurants, coffee al kinds of stuff, but thanks for playing.

Frazod
Your loss. You could have kept your phone, we could have gone out back and I could have kicked you in the nuts and taken the extra $'s you are spending down and you would be just as well off. :D

Well, actually I'm getting everything I got from Sprint plus internet service for the same money. Well, not everything. I'm not getting the shitty customer service. Funny, I don't miss that.

If I ever decide to go back to Sprint, I'll learn Spanish first so the douchebags at the service center down the street will actually pay attention to me.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Pay more? They're the same price. $199.

As for the cost of the plans, I agree ATT is outrageously overpriced but Sprint's quality sucks. It's as simple as that.

It uses cell triangulation (A-GPS) but if I'm not mistaken it has another form of GPS.

FWIW, I tried Sprint's GPS on the Instinct. It took 102% to complete. I don't even know how that's possible. It was also slow as balls. And I don't know how accurate it is compared to A-GPS.

Pete, you need to tone down the Sprint hardon. The Palm OS has yet to prove itself. It looks awesome, honestly. And it looks like a great attempt to mimic OSX on iPhone. But there are some drawbacks. For one, the app store is in its infancy. Which, by the way, it's ridiculous to insist all of them are "crap". And then its dishonest when you then claim "but they'll be on Pre eventually too" as if that's an adequate admission.

Multitasking has yet to be a clear pro for the Pre. Gizmodo gave it the advantage because it's the first to allow it. So what? There could be valid reasons Apple hasn't let it. For example, battery life which, as many have noted, is not that good on the Pre.

Oh so the Iphone is better at multi-tasking though it can't do it? Is that your argument? All of you are arguing about how the appstore makes the iphone better because no one else has one....yet! And the battery life is STILL better than the i-phone. Nice spin job.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Yep...and it is a lot cheaper, does what I need it too and on a faster network than ATT.

Sorry, the Iphone is overrated.

What is cheaper?

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Have you used one?

We have officially hit blind homer/fanboy status. The instinct was laughable.

You aren't very foresighted. You're upset because one can choose which app he wants for his GPS and finding restaurants and gas by price etc? Wow, cry me a river.

Your arguments are sad and pathetic.

Now I'm upset? Dude you really have an issue between your ears. I just pointed out that I don't need a fancy appstore cause Sprint phones already have that shit built in. But you get somehow that I am upset about that?? ROFLROFL

I'd say you're just pissed cause the Pre and Sprint are near as bad as you want them to be.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh so the Iphone is better at multi-tasking though it can't do it? Is that your argument? All of you are arguing about how the appstore makes the iphone better because no one else has one....yet! And the battery life is STILL better than the i-phone. Nice spin job.

ROFL

You suck at this thing called arguing.

I never said it was better. I said there were potentially valid arguments at whether multitasking was a pro or a con. Gizmodo suggests Pro merely because it allows it without taking into consideration hits on battery life or what have you. It's not as clear a pro as you'd like go gloat.

No one is arguing the appstore makes the iPhone better than the Pre. They offer it as an advantage. At the very LEAST they're calling BS on your insinuations that the appstore is worthless and who wants all that "crap" and you shouldn't have to download apps to do things.

As far as battery life, I have yet to find a test that clearly states if one is better than the other. What I do know is that many people dislike the battery life of the Pre.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
What is cheaper?

The plans...the true cost of owning the phones. A phone does you no good without a plan. You want to overpay for an inferioir network for a few bells and whistles that are arguable at best? Go ahead. Its your $'s.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Now I'm upset? Dude you really have an issue between your ears. I just pointed out that I don't need a fancy appstore cause Sprint phones already have that shit built in. But you get somehow that I am upset about that?? ROFLROFL

I'd say you're just pissed cause the Pre and Sprint are near as bad as you want them to be.

No, I'm pissed at your absolute lack of a coherent argument.

SPRINT IS BETTER. NANANNAANANAANANA I CANT HERE YOU NANNANANANANAN

I think I've been pretty even handed. As I've said, I like the Pre. But I don't have the hardon you have for it and Sprint.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
ROFL

You suck at this thing called arguing.

I never said it was better. I said there were potentially valid arguments at whether multitasking was a pro or a con. Gizmodo suggests Pro merely because it allows it without taking into consideration hits on battery life or what have you. It's not as clear a pro as you'd like go gloat.

No one is arguing the appstore makes the iPhone better than the Pre. They offer it as an advantage. At the very LEAST they're calling BS on your insinuations that the appstore is worthless and who wants all that "crap" and you shouldn't have to download apps to do things.

As far as battery life, I have yet to find a test that clearly states if one is better than the other. What I do know is that many people dislike the battery life of the Pre.

Yes, everytime I prove you wrong you come back with I am pissed or I suck at whatever. I never said the Appstore was worthless. Once again you have to put words in my mouth. I said it was overrated. Do you not understand what that word means? I even gave you a post that showed the test results on the battery but I guess after you read it you choose to still claim you haven't seen any tests that say so. ROFL

It didn't say what you wanted it to say so therefore you make shit up.

penguinz
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Just drove from Milwaukee to KC with it last week. Super accurate found restaurants, coffee al kinds of stuff, but thanks for playing.I am not interested in this. How well is triangulation going to help when out backwoods camping in an area void of cell towers?

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
No, I'm pissed at your absolute lack of a coherent argument.

SPRINT IS BETTER. NANANNAANANAANANA I CANT HERE YOU NANNANANANANAN

I think I've been pretty even handed. As I've said, I like the Pre. But I don't have the hardon you have for it and Sprint.

Oh so now YOU'RE pissed? LMAO. Ok sweetie...it isn't my fault the Sprint networkj is better than ATT and charges you less. Well..I guess in some ways it is. :)

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I am not interested in this. How well is triangulation going to help when out backwoods camping in an area void of cell towers?

There I wouldn't trust any phone at all.

penguinz
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
There I wouldn't trust any phone at all.Which is why I would like a true GPS.

Too bad garmin is so slow to finalize the nüvifone.

beach tribe
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Guys, It's whatever YOU like. I fuckin Love my Iphone. 16 gigs of memory, and a choice of a million apps. I do a lot of business crap on it, have it synced with my work CPU(outlook). I can listen to the Ipod while I do anything else. Is that not mulitasking??

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Guys, It's whatever YOU like. I ****in Love my Iphone. 16 gigs of memory, and a choice of a million apps. I do a lot of business crap on it, have it synced with my work CPU(outlook). I can listen to the Ipod while I do anything else. Is that not mulitasking??

No, that is not multitasking.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Which is why I would like a true GPS.

Too bad garmin is so slow to finalize the nüvifone.

Man I wouldn't trust GPS in any phone at all, Garmin or not if you are going to be in the back country or the mountains.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, everytime I prove you wrong you come back with I am pissed or I suck at whatever. I never said the Appstore was worthless. Once again you have to put words in my mouth. I said it was overrated. Do you not understand what that word means? I even gave you a post that showed the test results on the battery but I guess after you read it you choose to still claim you haven't seen any tests that say so. ROFL

It didn't say what you wanted it to say so therefore you make shit up.

Oh, sorry, you said that the app store was full of "fancy crap".

EDIT: Also where is this mysterious battery test article?

But if you want access to a bunch of fancy crap you won't ever use and that will be available on the Pre soon enough, go ahead and pay more.

I guess that's not quite saying its worthless. :rolleyes:

Oh so now YOU'RE pissed? LMAO. Ok sweetie...it isn't my fault the Sprint networkj is better than ATT and charges you less. Well..I guess in some ways it is. :)

Pissed was your word not mine. You originally used it.

I'm done however. I missed the post where you admit your a Sprint employee. That sums up everything in this thread.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
No, that is not multitasking.

Actually, it is.

Armyofme
06-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Having the HUGE base of iPhone developers is major asset. It will take a loooong time for any other platform to catch up. There are over 40 million iPhone/iPod Touches out there to develop for. What platform do you think the big players are going to focus resources?

Whether you think a phone should need an app to perform a function is a ridiculous argument. You may be able to perform some of those functions on another phone, but will it be as convenient? There are so many apps that are designed so well for so many niches, that no phone/OS manufacturer can cover them all, and do them as well.

Along the same lines, and shouldn't be overlooked... the iPhone has become a real gaming platform.

Someone saying it's overrated is laughable. Someone considering the app store a non-factor is either blindly anti-Apple and/or ATT&T, or a complete idiot.

irishjayhawk
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Having the HUGE base of iPhone developers is major asset. It will take a loooong time for any other platform to catch up. There are over 40 million iPhone/iPod Touches out there to develop for. What platform do you think the big players are going to focus resources?

Whether you think a phone should need an app to perform a function is a ridiculous argument. You may be able to perform some of those functions on another phone, but will it be as convenient? There are so many apps that are designed so well for so many niches, that no phone/OS manufacturer can cover them all, and do them as well.

Along the same lines, and shouldn't be overlooked... the iPhone has become a real gaming platform.

Someone saying it's overrated is laughable. Someone considering the app store a non-factor is either blindly anti-Apple and/or ATT&T, or a complete idiot.

Exactly. Or an employee of a rival company.

petegz28
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM

non-factor? No. Overrated? Yes.

penguinz
06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Sprint double the cost on the employee referral plan. :cuss: