PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bob Gretz: OTA Update 6/11

Mr. Arrowhead
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-update-611.html

OTA Update 6/11
June 11, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs ran through their ninth of 14 OTA sessions on Thursday morning and if they were keeping score - which they aren’t - it would be another victory for the defense.

In the teamwork portion of the practice in a dozen plays, QBs Matt Cassel and Tyler Thigpen were a combined two of seven throwing the ball. Cassel missed all three of his throws, while Thigpen was two of four. It was that kind of day for the offense.

“I feel like we made a lot of progress Tuesday on offense, but we kind of took a step back today,” said head coach Todd Haley. “After a day off, conditions were not ideal with a little wet field, we’ve got to learn to compete and execute in all types of conditions.”

For the first time in this off-season the Chiefs ran the two-minute drill and it did not end well for Cassel and the No. 1 offense. They had to go 70 yards in 90 seconds with two timeouts and they needed a touchdown to win. Cassel’s throw on the eighth play with 18 seconds left bounced off the hands and shoulder of WR Dwayne Bowe and was grabbed by CB Maurice Leggett for an interception.

The second offense faced a situation with 55 seconds to play, one timeout and they needed a FG to win, starting at their own 35-yard line. Thigpen got them into FG territory on six plays with 11 seconds left before they used their timeout.

There were 82 of the team’s 85 players on the field. Missing from the workout were the usual suspects: rookie CB Donald Washington, LG Brian Waters and OLB Mike Vrabel.

Here are some other observations from the session:

– The rehab crew was down to three players, as DE Glenn Dorsey returned to practice. He worked with the first-team defense at RDE. QB Brodie Croyle, RB Kolby Smith and DT Ron Edwards did not take part in the practice.

– In the two-minute drill, RB Jamaal Charles caught a pass and did not get out of bounds to stop the clock, forcing the offense to take a timeout. He heard about that from assistant coach Maurice Carthon.

– On the No. 1 defense, CB Richardo Colclough was running with the unit, replacing Leggett with the starters.

– In teamwork, TE Sean Ryan ran with the No. 1 offense in front of Brad Cottam.

– Rookie WR Quentin Lawrence got an earful from the head coach when he didn’t lineup correctly and then didn’t run the right route.

– Working in the red zone during the seven-on-seven passing drill, Cassel and Thigpen went five of 10 and only one ball got into the end zone. Thigpen hit WR Rodney Wright just inside the goal line.

– In the teamwork p ortion of practice, they ran six plays in the red zone. Cassel’s first throw to WR Terrance Copper was knocked down in the end zone by Colclough. His second throw to WR Mark Bradley was defensed well by CB Brandon Flowers. Thigpen got the only ball into the end zone, finding Cottam on the right side for the score.

CoMoChief
06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
There ya have it folks, Thigpen should start.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I see Brodie is ready to get cut.

orange
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
It's early, but... Thigpen outperforming Cassel. :popcorn:

Pestilence
06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
So does our good defense make our offense look shitty? Or does our shitty offense make our defense look good?

Mr. Arrowhead
06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
So does our good defense make our offense look shitty? Or does our shitty offense make our defense look good?
im guessing its the latter, but who knows?

KC native
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Yes.

-King-
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-update-611.html

OTA Update 6/11
June 11, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs ran through their ninth of 14 OTA sessions on Thursday morning and if they were keeping score - which they aren’t - it would be another victory for the defense.

In the teamwork portion of the practice in a dozen plays, QBs Matt Cassel and Tyler Thigpen were a combined two of seven throwing the ball. Cassel missed all three of his throws, while Thigpen was two of four. It was that kind of day for the offense.

“I feel like we made a lot of progress Tuesday on offense, but we kind of took a step back today,” said head coach Todd Haley. “After a day off, conditions were not ideal with a little wet field, we’ve got to learn to compete and execute in all types of conditions.”

For the first time in this off-season the Chiefs ran the two-minute drill and it did not end well for Cassel and the No. 1 offense. They had to go 70 yards in 90 seconds with two timeouts and they needed a touchdown to win. Cassel’s throw on the eighth play with 18 seconds left bounced off the hands and shoulder of WR Dwayne Bowe and was grabbed by CB Maurice Leggett for an interception.

The second offense faced a situation with 55 seconds to play, one timeout and they needed a FG to win, starting at their own 35-yard line. Thigpen got them into FG territory on six plays with 11 seconds left before they used their timeout.

There were 82 of the team’s 85 players on the field. Missing from the workout were the usual suspects: rookie CB Donald Washington, LG Brian Waters and OLB Mike Vrabel.

Here are some other observations from the session:

– The rehab crew was down to three players, as DE Glenn Dorsey returned to practice. He worked with the first-team defense at RDE. QB Brodie Croyle, RB Kolby Smith and DT Ron Edwards did not take part in the practice.

– In the two-minute drill, RB Jamaal Charles caught a pass and did not get out of bounds to stop the clock, forcing the offense to take a timeout. He heard about that from assistant coach Maurice Carthon.

– On the No. 1 defense, CB Richardo Colclough was running with the unit, replacing Leggett with the starters.

– In teamwork, TE Sean Ryan ran with the No. 1 offense in front of Brad Cottam.

– Rookie WR Quentin Lawrence got an earful from the head coach when he didn’t lineup correctly and then didn’t run the right route.

– Working in the red zone during the seven-on-seven passing drill, Cassel and Thigpen went five of 10 and only one ball got into the end zone. Thigpen hit WR Rodney Wright just inside the goal line.

– In the teamwork p ortion of practice, they ran six plays in the red zone. Cassel’s first throw to WR Terrance Copper was knocked down in the end zone by Colclough. His second throw to WR Mark Bradley was defensed well by CB Brandon Flowers. Thigpen got the only ball into the end zone, finding Cottam on the right side for the score.

So legget is the starter and carr is nickle? Carr played pretty well last year so I don't see why this is but I keep on hearing about leggett running with the 1st team.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
So legget is the starter and carr is nickle? Carr played pretty well last year so I don't see why this is but I keep on hearing about leggett running with the 1st team.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't believe Carr is nearly as polished and ready to start as some here think he is....

Hydrae
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Glad to see that Dorsey is back out on the field.

Tyler FTW! :)

alpha_omega
06-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Why is Croyle still on this team?

bobbything
06-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Cassel’s throw on the eighth play with 18 seconds left bounced off the hands and shoulder of WR Dwayne Bowe
Awesome. Beginning year three and, even in practice, he still struggles in a tight situation.

rambleonthruthefog
06-11-2009, 01:42 PM

our shitty d makes our shitty o look even shittier

SNR
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Why is Croyle still on this team?Since Thigpen is now the starter, the Chiefs need a whiney bitch fan puppy dog to replace Thigpen.

Mr. Krab
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Sounds like they are just getting some work in. I think the defense is typically ahead of the offense at this point anyway.

Kudos to Gretz for keeping the information flow up without the extra bullshit.

BigChiefFan
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Leggett is really make a push to start and I'm pleased about it. I believe this kid is legit.

Micjones
06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Do I need to remind everybody that it's only June?

Detoxing
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Leggett is really make a push to start and I'm pleased about it. I believe this kid is legit.

Yeah, but Ricardo Colclough was the starter, not Legget, he was replaced. Carr must be at #4. Ricardo FTW! All aboard the Ricardo Colclough bandwagon!

Detoxing
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Do I need to remind everybody that it's only June?

Blasphemy! Our Defense is UBER. Fear the Colclough!

BigChiefFan
06-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but Ricardo Colclough was the starter, not Legget, he was replaced. Carr must be at #4. Ricardo FTW! All aboard the Ricardo Colclough bandwagon!Yes, but I'm basing it on Leggett playing better than the rest. He's got a nose for the ball and has made plays nearly ever practice. He's turned some heads at practice.

T-post Tom
06-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Ummm...no.

tmax63
06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
It's kinda interesting to get some new coaches in and all of a sudden the lesser guys are getting a shot and making the most of it. I hope some folks really step up to the opportunity on the front seven.

LaChapelle
06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
1) Colclough, I wonder how that is pronounced.
2) I know it's beyond reason, I still want Brodie to succeed.
3) How is Gretz releasing information and Pioli is still letting him breathe?

Detoxing
06-11-2009, 03:27 PM

uh-mey-zing

bsp4444
06-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Bowe dropped a pass? I don't know the specifics of how catchable a ball it was, but this is becoming a recurring theme with him.

MOhillbilly
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM
im gonna throw my tv away. only reason i have one is to watch chiefs games. i dont even wanna do that anymore.

Detoxing
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Bowe dropped a pass? I don't know the specifics of how catchable a ball it was, but this is becoming a recurring theme with him.

Everyday that goes by, he is looking more and more like Koren Robinson II. It's kinda scary. We finally get a player that should be a true NFL superstar and he's looking like another WR with stone hands. But then again, T.O doesn't have great hands either.

DaneMcCloud
06-11-2009, 03:41 PM

It's pronounced "Cokely".

He was drafted by the Steelers and later cut. He also played for Cleveland and Carolina.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Everyday that goes by, he is looking more and more like Koren Robinson II. It's kinda scary. We finally get a player that should be a true NFL superstar and he's looking like another WR with stone hands. But then again, T.O doesn't have great hands either.

:spock:

Detoxing
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
:spock:

???

Another WR with ass loads of talent, a great first few years, and a bad case of the dropsies. Can't see the similarities?

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-11-2009, 04:42 PM
???

Another WR with ass loads of talent, a great first few years, and a bad case of the dropsies. Can't see the similarities?

Koren had plenty of off the field problems that helped sunk his career, so that is why I wouldn't use him as a comparison. Bowe is on a great career track at this point of his career and a "drop" in an OTA is kind of a silly think to nitpick on him for when we don't even know the context of the play.

SNR
06-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Braylon Edwards is far less consistent at catching the ball than Bowe.

Well, I should say, he's MORE consistent than Bowe, but he consistently DROPS it more often.

And guess what? Neither player is going to be booted off their teams. At worst, their contracts aren't renewed.

Hell, even take a player like Travis Taylor, who just never improved. The worst thing that happened? He didn't renew his contract. That happens all the time with NFL players.

TEX
06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I see Brodie is ready to get cut.

LMAO He should because he's not good enough to be an NFL QB. I said it from day one and caught a lot of hell for voicing my opinion. I also said tha he would be out of the NFL within 5 years...:hmmm:

SNR
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
LMAO He should because he's not good enough to be an NFL QB. I said it from day one and caught a lot of hell for voicing my opinion. I also said tha he would be out of the NFL within 5 years...:hmmm:We don't know if he's a good NFL QB or not. All we know is that he's good at getting injured.

So yeah, I'd rather he went away. He's definitely got Rob Johnson syndrome. That guy should have been aborted from the league after his 2nd injury

DaWolf
06-11-2009, 06:45 PM

He's also playing against the second team defense...

Buehler445
06-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Sounds like they are just getting some work in. I think the defense is typically ahead of the offense at this point anyway.

Kudos to Gretz for keeping the information flow up without the extra bullshit.

This.

What Gretz is giving us is much much better than any other media outlets.

Mizzou_8541
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Wait a sec....I thought Waters and Vrabel reported and both were "happy" to be there?

COchief
06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I really would like to know why you thought it was necessary to quote the entire original post. Since we are all posting in this thread, it is obviously about the original post. This really bugs the shit out of me when tards do this.

whoman69
06-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Chicken or the egg

Groves
06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
im gonna throw my tv away. only reason i have one is to watch chiefs games. i dont even wanna do that anymore.

If it's larger than 27", I'll come and get it tonight. Springfield has a no TV left behind policy.

RustShack
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Its not even training camp yet... and Colclough started over Legget today. Also Carr sucks at nickle.

Craqhead
06-11-2009, 10:52 PM

Uh huh.

googlegoogle
06-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Cassel’s throw on the eighth play with 18 seconds left bounced off the hands and shoulder of WR Dwayne Bowe and was grabbed by CB Maurice Leggett for an interception.

Hog Farmer
06-12-2009, 04:27 AM
I'll bet we couldn't even beat the Royals.

Mizzou_8541
06-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Wait a sec....I thought Waters and Vrabel reported and both were "happy" to be there?

Does anyone have any idea about Waters and Vrabel?

BossChief
06-12-2009, 06:38 AM
I know its second string
I know its just an ota
I know its against the second team defense

but doesnt it feel good, just a little, to hear Thigpen is kicking Cassels ass up and down the field?

I think Thigpen has more chicken salad if we need it...

How long has it been, if ever, since we had two capable quarterbacks?

"look at my history, the best player will play" I think Thigpen might have believed that sham, I guess well find out soon enough...

chiefzilla1501
06-12-2009, 07:34 AM
I know its second string
I know its just an ota
I know its against the second team defense

but doesnt it feel good, just a little, to hear Thigpen is kicking Cassels ass up and down the field?

I think Thigpen has more chicken salad if we need it...

How long has it been, if ever, since we had two capable quarterbacks?

"look at my history, the best player will play" I think Thigpen might have believed that sham, I guess well find out soon enough...

I hope at the very least this puts to rest the idea that Thigpen can barely even cut third string. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. Thigpen also has some chemistry with the receivers he's currently working with, as well as a working knowledge of Gailey's offense. Not to mention that the defense he's squaring off against is really awful. Our defense is bad, but at least our starters have some good quality starters. Most of our backups wouldn't make 90% of NFL rosters.

It's a good showing for Thigpen, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Cassel is going to win the job, even if he's not mopping the floor going into the regular season.

BossChief
06-12-2009, 07:47 AM
I hope at the very least this puts to rest the idea that Thigpen can barely even cut third string. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. Thigpen also has some chemistry with the receivers he's currently working with, as well as a working knowledge of Gailey's offense. Not to mention that the defense he's squaring off against is really awful. Our defense is bad, but at least our starters have some good quality starters. Most of our backups wouldn't make 90% of NFL rosters.

It's a good showing for Thigpen, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Cassel is going to win the job, even if he's not mopping the floor going into the regular season.

Cassel ran the exact same scheme in NE last year. Perkins-Ernhart is its name. The familiarity with the players will be there come camp and Cassel will hopefully do his asskickin there, otherwise it would have been nice to have Mauluga and to have signed Jeff Garcia instead of trading for Cassel in retrospect.

time will tell

milkman
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Cassel ran the exact same scheme in NE last year. Perkins-Ernhart is its name. The familiarity with the players will be there come camp and Cassel will hopefully do his asskickin there, otherwise it would have been nice to have Mauluga and to have signed Jeff Garcia instead of trading for Cassel in retrospect.

time will tell

I was strongly opposed to trading for Cassel, but if the only other option was Garcia, I'd have been on board with Cassel from the word "go".